Melaleuca Logo

5.2

Melaleuca is an international health and wellness company. Starting in Idaho Falls, Idaho, Melaleuca is one of the fastest growing vitamin and mineral clubs in the nation. Melaleuca sells over 400 products to customers from around the globe (Canada, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Puerto Rico, Malaysia, New Zealand, Ireland, Singapore, China, Germany, Mexico, Austria, Poland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom).

As a multi-level marketing company, it has added benefits compared to many of its competitors and boasts that its company is the largest online wellness club in North America. This club has over 1 million shoppers every month, $2 billion in annual sales and a 96% monthly reorder rate.

Since 1985, Melaleuca has brought people’s attention to Melaleuca Alternifolia oil (more commonly known as tea tree oil). In its 33-year history, Melaleuca has sought to raise the standard of health and wellness products and provide men and women around the globe with quality supplements.

View Best Vitamin Companies

CVS Logo
#2 CVS chevron_right
Walgreens Logo
#3 Walgreens chevron_right

The Good

• Large Array of Melaleuca Products
  • Customer Service
  • Online Store
  • Multi-Level Marketing
  • Beauty Product Selection
  • Household Products
  • Nature-Based Products
  • Loyalty Shopping Dollars

Large Array of Melaleuca Products

With over 400 products to try, customers will have a variety of supplements to select. Melaleuca has seven categories that contain numerous healthy options. Customers can narrow their search by selecting one of the following categories:

• Nutrition
  • Medicine Cabinet
  • Beauty
  • Household
  • Bath & Body
  • Essential Oils
  • Extra Savings
  • Logo Gear

Men and women can find a variety of multivitamins for increasing bone and joint health, digestive health, prenatal care, and other health interests. There are plenty of product types such as antioxidants, calcium, fish oil & omegas, herbal extracts. Melaleuca even has healthy products for pets.

This company continues to expand its products to all parts of life, from household products such as laundry detergent and cleaning products to essential oil, this company has thousands of high-quality products at a low overall price. Among its most popular products are dietary supplements which help individuals lose weight.

Because of Melaleuca's business structure, one of the only types of communication between the customer and its store is through its customer service departments. This company has excelled in this area of service because potential clients can also become potential employees. Through its years of service, it has been accommodating to all of its clients.

Having received the Better Business Bureau's Torch Award in 2008, it is clear that this company has a high emphasis on ensuring the customer is satisfied.

Online Store

The Melaleuca store is entirely online. The entire store has a ton of variety, but only limited access unless you have a membership with this company. All it takes to join the club is an email, your phone number, and creating a username and password, and in turn, you will get access to all of its products.

Multi-Level Marketing

This company has grown the way it has through its multi-level marketing(also known as MLM). This creates an opportunity for the individual that is joining this club. An MLM business model is a compensation plan for members that promotes recruiting people to help sell its product, as well as paying each member that helps sell its products.

Becoming apart of Melaleuca's MLM has great bonuses for the industry of MLMs and is a great way to earn money while using its products. Either through each personal sell you have, or to recruit people to sell the product for you, you will receive a commission for each sale that comes as a result of you.

As a side note, to clarify, unlike an illegal pyramid scheme, MLM's are run as a way to promote the product, which means that the product is the focus of making money and not the initial recruiting.

Beauty Product Selection

Melaleuca offers numerous beauty products. Customers can quickly select what kind of products they’re looking to buy. Melaleuca offer products for skin, hair, facial, and dental care. Melaleuca’s beauty products range from acne treatment to shampoo to whitening toothpaste.

Household Products

Some of this company's most popular items involve its household products. Individuals can get everything including their laundry soap and tub and tile cleaners. This is an area that almost all vitamin stores do not offer. Offering household products along with its herbs and supplements makes its variety extensive and allows for individuals to accomplish their health goals through cleaning their surroundings as well as cleaning their bodies.

Nature-Based Products

Melaleuca strives to make it possible for families to live clean by offering safer and more effective environmental and eco-friendly wellness products. Melaleuca products have biodegradable ingredients. The company stays away from products that contain bleach, ammonia, and phosphates; replacing them with clean products like thyme oil, citric acid, and enzymes. Because of its eco-conscious business culture, Melaleuca customers have helped save a total of 205 million pounds of plastic, 41 million gallons of fuel, and 46 million pounds of harmful gas emissions.

Loyalty Shopping Dollars

Customers who enroll as a preferred customer can earn Loyalty Shopping Dollars by watching short online videos that introduce other Melaleuca products. The videos range in prices from $5-$10 and customers can earn up to $100 in the first five months. However, products purchased with your Loyalty Shopping Dollars do not count toward your Product Points commitment.

Every month after the first five months customers can earn up to 15% on every order. Customers just need to place their order online before the 20th and watch the videos to activate the Loyalty Shopping Dollars.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Prices
  • Disclaimer
  • Complaints

Undisclosed Prices

Those just browsing the Melaleuca site will have to create an account to see any prices. Clicking on an item will pull up various information on the product but does not disclose the amount. This feature can be frustrating for shoppers who want to compare prices quickly.

Located in terms of use, Melaleuca states that, “Melaleuca further does not warrant the accuracy and completeness of the materials at this Site. Melaleuca may make changes to the materials at this Site, or to the products and prices described in them, at any time without notice. The materials at this Site may be out of date, and Melaleuca makes no commitment to update the materials at this Site. Information published at this Site may refer to products, programs or services that are intended for use only in a specific country and may not be used or relied upon in any other country.”

Complaints

Although this company has a lot of good things going for it, they have a few issues that consumers have mentioned in reviews. The melaleuca complaints consist mainly of becoming a member. Being a member gives access to all of its products, but there is a minimum payment that customers have to make to stay members. Most people have only positive things to say, but in the few complaints that we have received, almost are all about its minimum payment for its products.

The Bottom Line

For shoppers hoping to compare prices to other health and wellness companies, will find that to see any costs for vitamins unless they sign up on the website. This can be a slight annoyance to customers that do not clearly understand Melaleuca's vision. This company is hoping to help its customer not only find enjoyable, and cheap products, but also to have a chance to gain money for sharing this product with friends, family, and co-workers.

Melaleuca has plenty of benefits for its members. It is offering a large selection of vitamins and minerals, supplements, essential oils, as well as other wellness products in various flavors, formulas, and sizes. The company boasts that it would take members more than three years to try all the Melaleuca products. Since the company is both the manufacturer and retailer of its products, it's not likely customers will come across these products in their local grocery store, so shoppers will have to buy Melaleuca products online, which is, from our analysis, one of the best options to choose.

View Best Vitamin Companies

Eric Ansah Nutley, NJ

I am very disappointed as a first time customer. I was very excited about being a customer and i was looking forward to the products that I ordered as a first time customer. I didn't receive my full order. The 100% guarantee that they advertise is a lie and even when i called customer service since they messed up, i thought they would give me something else for free to show that they care about my satisfaction however that was not the case. I just have to wait another 5 days for the rest of my order to be delivered. Terribly disappointed.

2rich4myblood Trinity, AL

Cleaning products are good, laundry detergent is good, and because they are concentrated, they are a good value. However, I don’t need concentrated quantities of cleaning supplies on a monthly basis. Additionally, I found the non-cleaning product items to be expensive; even with a “preferred membership.” I truly struggled monthly to find things I would use, to meet the lowest point total possible, and it was still too expensive for me. Add in the shipping costs, and it made no sense for me to continue being a member. I come out much better cost-wise, just going to Walmart. “Yes, but it comes directly to your house,” one might argue. True, but if I’m around Walmart anyway, I can whip into the free grocery pick up and get much better prices than Melaleuca. When I called to cancel, the line went dead after I told them why I was calling. A coincidence? When I called back, they said I had to print, sign and fax a cancellation form, and if I couldn’t fax it, I could mail it or scan and attach via e-mail. I was fine with that even though I thought it was a little much, but imagine my surprise when there was a space for a “spouse’s signature” on the cancellation form. Omg! My spouse didn’t sign anything to become a member; why should they have to sign something to discontinue membership? The whole process was ridiculous and left a bad taste in my mouth. I cannot think of one other time that I have ever had to sign something, much less my spouse have to sign something, to cancel service. I won’t ever sign up for membership again- lesson learned.

Chase H Provo, UT

I was told it isn't an MLM... sure seems like it to me. Also, you have to commit to buying a certain amount of things each month. In my opinion, a company should keep you coming back because of their products, not because you have to.

Gwen H. Evansville, IN

I used to get their cleaning and laundry products. There is a minimum monthly order required to keep your account open as a customer and that was stressful because I did not need to buy new window cleaner etc every month. I would have given them a higher rating if that had not been the case but I had to quit buying Melaleuca because of this minimum monthly purchase requirement.

J. Devis

I feel they have a good products, environmentally friendly...however not all their products meet my standard of "safe, and clean" for my body. I find questionable ingredients. Also their 30-50% money back for customers didn't quite pan out for me. I didn't feel I was getting enough rewards the way I was told I would get. Watching videos was only enough to receive 12$ to redeem. I currently receive more from another company who carefully selects ingredients I'm very comfortable with putting on myself and my children, without compromising the environment. I also did not like the pressure to keep my account. If I'm calling to cancel, inform me once of the benefits I'm losing...I don't need to be asked 3x before, also you have to mail, or fax a written request which is inconvenient if you don't have a print machine or a fax machine. As for the business aspect I wouldn't know. I hear good things from people who work with them. I just couldn't put my integrity on the line for a product that is just good, not great.

Libby Waldron Port Angeles, WA

With a name like "The Wellness Company" I'd expect a lot more actual "health and wellness" products... Artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, and fragrances are in their products. This confuses me as they were marketed as and compared to a Whole Foods or "natural/health foods store" but at a much lower cost. They may have better options than Wal Mart when it comes to body care and cleaning supplies, and their supplements are of higher quality than regular drug store vitamins, but I had to read each and every product label to decide on what products I would actually use and consider "healthy" or "all natural." When you sign up as a preferred customer, which was the only option I was presented with, you pay an annual membership fee and agree to purchase at least 35 points worth of products each month. This is roughly $65-$70 in products before tax and shipping. When you earn "cash" by watching marketing/informational videos, that money is only available to spend AFTER you order your monthly 35 points worth of products. Therefore, even with "learn to earn cash" you still are spending EVERY MONTH around $80 after tax and shipping. This was just way too much for my family as we could not find enough Melaleuca products each month that we needed to make this cost effective in any way. There were products I really loved - Fiberwise Select was great and had no artificial sweetener/flavors, no soy, and worked very well! The laundry detergent (unscented) worked great and was a really wonderful price for the concentration, along with some of the other cleaning supplies, however they almost all have artificial colors/fragrances. Bottom line I wasn't saving money on high quality products and that was the entire marketing claim. I love ordering online but the shipping was just really high plus being in a contract to spend $80 a month when that wasn't always needed, I just couldn't continue with it. I'm sure it works really great for lots of people who are ok with products that are of higher quality than most, but not as good or healthy as some, at a decent price and the convenience of online shopping.

Shawnna

Overpriced product, plus shipping costs makes Melaleucan unreasonable. In addition you need to do your research as their product is not as natural and environmentally safe as they claim. You can get better products at your local stores for far less money.