Founded in 1995, Vrbo assists vacationers in finding accommodations through local homeowner properties. Vrbo has locations spread all over the world with an easy search bar so travelers can easily find the exact vacation home that they need for their perfect vacation. As part of the Expedia Group, Vrbo gets over 750 million views per month. Vrbo offers a wide range of rental properties in 190 countries including the lowest prices all the way up to high-end luxury rentals.

The Good

• Variety of Options
  • Booking Options
  • Cancellation Protection
  • Customer Reviews and Protection
  • Mobile Services

Variety of Options

Vrbo has a variety of options for travelers. Each rental owner determines the price to rent his or her space, so prices will vary based on location, amenities, size, condition, etc. Vrbo rentals are available throughout the United States and in 190 countries around the world. An email and phone number are provided for each property owner, so travelers can speak directly with the property owner before they book or during the booking process. With the phone number, travelers are also given the best time to reach the property owner along with the languages they speak. Emails go through Vrbo.com.

• Insurance Options: Vrbo provides customers with the option to purchase damage and cancellation insurance.
  • 24/7 Support: 24/7 support is available to all customers by Vrbo.
  • Large Property Selection: Currently, Vrbo has over one million properties listed.
  • Secure Payment Options: Vrbo has a secure and safe payment process, providing comfort to its customers.

Booking Options

Reservations are made through Vrbo.com. Travelers have the option of clicking the "Book It" button after their dates are selected to reserve the space. Or travelers can choose to email or call the rental owner for more information.

Cancellation Protection

Vrbo offers cancellation protection through a HomeAway partner, CSA Travel Protection and Insurance Services. This service safeguards the traveler's non-refundable payments in case they need to cancel their trip for a covered reason. Vacation rental payments typically become non-refundable 30-90 days before the arrival date. Cancellation protection features:

• Protects insured trip cost up to $50,000 if guests need to cancel.
  • Offers reimbursement if guests cancel their trip due to covered events such as sickness, injury, flight cancellations, mandatory evacuation, or job loss.
  • Travel delay benefits available if guests are delayed for 12 or more hours due to flight delays, weather, or sickness. Learn more.
  • Additional services* can be found on the site.

Customer Reviews and Protection

Each property has customer reviews listed under their rental descriptions. Each review also has a star rating; so potential travelers can easily determine the quality of the rental without having to read through each review. Additionally, any payments made through the secure HomeAway platform are protected up to $10,000 against fraud. Or an additional fee will protect you against other renting issues like double booking or security deposit issues.

Mobile Services

Vrbo has a mobile friendly site. The mobile site makes it easy to enter the desired location and dates on the landing page. The site's design also makes it simple to browse rental listings. Vrbo also has the "HomeAway & Vrbo Vacation Rentals" free mobile app. Users are given the option to view the app when they visit the mobile site.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Fees
  • Certain Fees are Not Refundable

Customer Complaints

Vrbo has many negative customer reviews about things like poor customer service and excessive fees. Both customers renting from Vrbo and homeowners listing with the site have written complaints. Many homeowners complain about new changes under Expedia's ownership. They complain about higher fees, more control by Vrbo, booking problems, etc. Renters complain about higher fees, booking errors, cancellation problems, and unresponsive or helpful customer service.

Fees

Overall, there are quite a few things that Vrbo could improve on.  The biggest issue with Vrbo is the extra fees.  There is a high service fee and fees associated with damage insurance, cancellation insurance, and the Carefree Rental Guarantee.

• High Renters Service Charge: Vrbo charges renters a 5 percent commission in service fees to rent their property.
  • Credit Card Processing Fee: Vrbo charges a 3 percent credit card or e-check processing fee for the total amount paid by the traveler.
  • No Verification: No verification is done on properties listed with Vrbo. This is concerning, as customers want to be sure they are renting a legitimate property and aren't getting scammed.
  • No Free Cancellation: Vrbo doesn't offer all customers a free cancellation option with all properties.

Certain Fees are Not Refundable

Another issue that customers have been commenting about is the fact that Vrbo charges a customer's credit card upon booking, but owners are not paid until renters are in the house. If customers go to cancel the rental, customers will not be refunded certain fees. Most other companies refund these fees as a courtesy to renters if they have to cancel. Make sure to use the Vrbo fee calculator to see how expensive these add-ons would be for your vacation.

The Bottom Line

Vrbo has over one million vacation rental options, so you are bound to find a rental that works well for you. If possible, try to find a vacation rental you feel is secure so you can possibly skip out on those extra insurance fees.

2.2

Michael Ewing

January 22nd, 2021 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awesome company. Love being able to rent a whole house instead of a nasty hotel a million people have stayed at.

Cindy H

January 21st, 2021 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always had a very positive experience with Vrbo. We used it in Utah when my son got married and also in Colorado and Washington. No complaints. Acomidations were always wonderful and i feel i can trust them.

Morgan Knight

January 20th, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had an amazing experience with VRBO! Rented a beautiful home in Austin Texas for a girls weekend, and the property was incredible! The interface with the app made communication with the host easy and check in and check out through the app and website was great too! The properties listed on VRBO are a level above other home rental sites!

Carol Knight

January 20th, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT

I always like to review what listings Vrbo has when I am looking for vacation rentals. It is a great site for comparing prices and finding the best fit for our family.

Kellie Payne

January 19th, 2021 Pickerington, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good service that was the predecessor to Air bnb have always had clean and nice places to stay when booking through vrbo

Disappointed!

January 7th, 2021 Bend, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Unable to get money back from trip planned prior to COVID. Flights and island canceled and yet VRBO does nothing. Their canned statement saying they encouraged the property owners to refund at least half fell on deaf ears when our property owner refused to even consider it. I was given the option to visit again at a later date for half the rate. But no refund to the sum of over $10k . Numerous complaints to VRBO and still they would do absolutely nothing. I don't feel that I should pay any money to either their fees or the property owners. Those owners had a mortgage to pay whether I was renting their space or not. Not only that, but regardless of having to cancel the trip, there was no way they could rent that place out to anyone else due to the pandemic. VRBO had every ability to force the property owners to refund funds and yet they would not. I absolutely, emphatically would never use this company for any travel plans. They DO NOT stand by the traveler. They are difficult to get on the phone, the customer service is contracted with people outside of the country and even if you leave messages to return the call, you never hear from them. DO NOT USE VRBO!

JOHN M CAMPBELL

December 31st, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just started to use Vrbo this year. I rented a place in the Thousand Islands, NY area and changed my mind several times, necessitating that cancellations & new reservations needed changing. There was never a problem doing either. The customer service they provided was terrific. I plan to use them for my 2022 vacation next!

Rhea

December 8th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had just had a really bad experience with Airbnb (an issue mainly due to lack of cleanliness) so I decided to try Vrbo for the very first time. I finally found a space that was a new listing, but had one 5-star review so I figured I would be ok trying it out. I arrived 3 hours earlier than my check in time just to see the location of the house. I wasn’t happy with the location, since it felt unsafe for me as a woman on her own, to drive at night. However, after the bad experience at Airbnb, I really didn’t want to make a big deal of things or create any kind of conflict. I arrived and saw one woman, who I later found out was the owner of the house, cleaning. I stayed outside of the property for 15 minutes while I made a phone call, then decided to leave since I had arrived too early. I did notice that throughout my whole texting conversation with the owner she kept mentioning that she had a cleaning & repair crew that would go replace the washer (and that’s why I had to wait to check in until 4pm). I noticed the whole time I was there that I only saw her, one person, and thought it was odd that she had felt that it was necessary for her to lie about having a “cleaning crew”, but again, I didn’t want to create any conflict. I just needed a clean, safe space to spend 2 weeks in quarantine before heading home to my grandparents. When I finally checked in, the owner was still in the garage. I immediately felt uncomfortable that she was there at the property because I had been very specific about going out of my way to isolate before heading home to my 80-year old grandparents. Again, I didn’t make a big deal out of it. I also noticed that there was a washer and a large amount of trash right by the entrance. Not a good view, it immediately felt like a very lack-of-class move and like she didn’t’ even actually bother making the place look nice for her guest. Again, I didn’t say a word. The driveway and entryway were full of dead leaves, grass was overgrown, it just felt cheap and like the owner had not even made a small effort to make the place look decent for me. I walked inside and took a quick tour of the place just to check if I saw anything crazy. 1. Kitchen zinc still had a piece of cilantro on the side. (Not a big deal, but big warning flag that maybe she had not cleaned the space as well as she promised). 2. One of the toilets still had brown spots all over. I immediately took a picture, since I’m assuming that was feces that she didn’t bother to clean. I went to the other bathroom and even though it wasn’t super clean, I didn’t see any feces so I decided to just use that one. I didn’t want to create conflict and I brought my own cleaning supplies so I figured I could clean myself. I went back outside and started unpacking. She was still there for another 2 hours in the garage, which she said she used as storage. Again, I didn’t make a big deal about it. But it did bother me that I felt that she was invading my space. I know that it is her property, but I had paid a lot of money just to have privacy and it felt like she wasn’t respecting my space. It felt intrusive. Since day 1 I wasn’t able to sleep well because there was a very loud noise coming from outside or the walls right by the bedroom. Eventually I got up and searched for an animal outside or in between the plants but I wasn’t able to find anything. The noise kept on going and I was just so tired that I passed out and didn’t find out what it was. Next morning, I woke up and tried to watch the TV. It wasn’t working. I texted the owner and she was nice enough to come take a look. I asked her to please stay outside since I was quarantining. She did stay outside for 30 minutes but since she wasn’t able to fix the TV, she eventually came in. Again, I didn’t feel comfortable having her come inside, but I wanted to have a TV, so I allowed her to come in and stayed in my car for a little over an hour until she fixed it. I thanked her for helping me solve it and for wearing a mask like I had requested, but I did feel disappointed that she had not had the TV and space fully ready before my arrival and that I had to allow her into the home, when the whole purpose of me renting that space was to be able to avoid any kind of human contact. That night, I couldn’t sleep again with the animal noises, but she had been annoying the last time she was there, and I didn’t want to unintentionally open another window for her to come back in again, so I didn’t text her about it. About 2 days after this, there was a tornado warning and the alarms were ringing. I had not experienced this before and I immediately texted her since I didn’t know where to seek shelter or what to do. She only responded after the alarms and alerts were over. I understand that she doesn’t control the weather. However, I was disappointed that as a Vrbo Host, she didn’t have a safety manual or some kind of guideline letting people who didn’t grow up in the area know what to do in case of a tornado. Apparently, it was tornado season in Irving, TX so she would have been aware that a tornado was likely to happen. Up to this point, it’s all issues that bothered me but since I don’t like to create conflict, I simply let them go. However, the real horror story starts on Sunday, Nov. 29. I was very cold that day and decided to turn up the heater. I pressed the heater about 6 times but the temperature wouldn’t stay at 76, so I decided to text the owner very politely and ask her if the thermostat was working. Long story short, she went completely crazy after this. She started sending me screenshots of the current temperature of the home; that’s when I realized that she could see and control the temperature of the home from her phone. It’s not that the thermostat wasn’t working, but every time I tried to put the temperature above 70 (this is in late November), she would immediately turn it off. Then she started texting me non stop for hours, like a completely crazy person. She texted that she would come to the home next day and fix the thermostat because it was broken. It wasn’t broken, she just wanted to set it up so that I wouldn’t be able to set up the temperature at any point higher than 70. I was freezing and upset that I had paid so much money and this crazy lady didn’t even let me turn on the heater. In addition, she started sending me nonstop screenshots all evening and night letting me know that she was monitoring the temperature. She started sending me condescending texts saying that if I didn’t take care of the energy there wouldn’t be anything left for our children. I was in shock and immediately called Vrbo at least 20 times throughout the night because I kept on getting transferred and/or disconnected every single time. At one point I was even considering calling the cops because I honestly got so freaked out by her constant texts. At one point I begged her twice to stop texting/sending messages through the app. because I had to wake up early next day to work and she was still texting me screenshots of the temperature after midnight. She also kept on saying that she was going to show up next morning to “fix” the thermostat even though I very politely asked her to please not come during the day since I was busy working from home and in meetings and that I was also trying to quarantine. That’s when she proceeded to threaten me and tell me that she was going to just cancel my reservation and not issue a refund if I couldn’t keep the temperature under 70 degrees. She also said that I was lying and not quarantining because SHE HAD FOOTAGE of my boyfriend coming to visit me one night. I was creeped out, I felt like my privacy was being disrespected, the way she stated it as “having footage” really made me feel like I was being watched and it was such a disrespectful and condescending way to address a guest. I was shocked! I don’t know why I proceeded to politely explain that he was also quarantining, when it was none of her business. She was so offensive and I honestly felt a little threatened that if I said the wrong thing she would just show up. Her constant texts at that time of day and her previous behaviors the few times I had observed her in person made me feel like she wasn’t very balanced psychologically and I just didn’t’ want to risk it. I called Vrbo and let them know about the situation. One of their representatives even suggested I call the cops when I released access to the conversation that (thank God) was mostly texted through the app. However, with my plan to quarantine and how uncomfortable I was staying there and thinking about not wanting to trigger a psychologically unbalanced person, I let Vrbo know at 3 am Monday morning, November 30 that I was in the process of packing and I was going to leave first thing in the morning. I explained the situation, gave them access to the conversation, told them if she texted me one more time I would file a police report, and demanded a refund ONLY for the nights that I wouldn’t be staying there. I got one hour of sleep that night and at 6am packed everything into my car and left the property. While I was on the road driving for 10 hours, she started texting me. When I got a chance to stop at a gas station I simply blocked her number. This has honestly been the worst experience of my life. One could argue that I overreacted but as a woman alone (my boyfriend lives in another city 2 hours away from Irving, TX) a woman of color, a foreigner in Texas, I really didn’t want to risk it with the current social and political climate with someone clearly psychologically unbalanced. I consider writing reviews or complaints a waste of time. However, I am taking the time to write this because I’m in shock and I truly believe this situation was completely unfair and unethical. I felt threatened and Verbo not only was completely useless, but they’re still refusing to issue a refund for the transaction. This has been the worst experience of my life and no one that crazy and disrespectful should be allowed to rent/manage their property on any of these platforms and, most importantly, Vrbo shouldn’t be allowed to simply get away with horrible hosts, terrible bad customer service, and just keep my money without a fight when it’s simply unfair. I’m not even being unreasonable in spite of all the issues and requesting a full refund. I’m requesting the bare minimum, which is a refund for the 7 nights that I didn’t get to stay in the property because the owner made me feel threatened and a refund for the cleaning fee since she didn’t even bother cleaning the feces from one of the toilets. I’m still in shock and it’s unbelievable that businesses allow these situations to happen. Hopefully by submitting this to the Better Business Bureau, Vrbo will conduct an investigation and stop allowing her to rent or at least manage the property herself because she’s not equipped to do so with her disrespectful, controlling, condescending and threatening ways. Vrbo should also be investigated for not reacting properly, proving absolutely terrible customer service (I counted at least 30 phone calls within a 24 hour period and they were completely unable to help me in any way. I also kept on getting (perhaps intentionally?) disconnected and placed on hold at least 20 times) and for not accepting to issue a refund in a situation like this. Most importantly, I hope other consumers learn from my experience and decide to use a hotel instead of Vrbo. I will never use their services again and have already told my coworkers, family members and friends about this terrible experience. Unfair business practices should not be allowed and at least I wanted to fulfill my civic duty and report this owner/host, this company and share my terrible experience. Thank you for your time!

Sarah

November 15th, 2020 Fayetteville, AR

Vrbo makes searching for vacation rentals super easy. I used Vrbo to rent a beach house last summer, and the customer service was super helpful when I needed anything. Will definitely use again!

Melissa Giddings

November 13th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family stayed in Arizona and it was great. My experience with getting into the house was very easy. Finding the house, paying went well.

Janalee Nielson

November 13th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vrbo has always been my go-to when looking to book a place for a group when traveling. I have used it many times. However, over the years the fees have increased extraordinarily to the point that the add a huge amount to the total cost.

Kristi

November 11th, 2020 Logan, UT

Great site! Easy to use and fun to get ideas of different places to visit. Thank you!

Amy Barrus

November 10th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vrbo is a great tool for vacations. It is user-friendly and helps us find great stays that accommodate our large family. I like the ability to request amenities such as a hot tub and other additions to the stay to make it fun for the children. We used a Vrbo rental for a vacation in Moab. We had a great time and had a hot tub, basketball, ping pong, and football on-site. The family loved the stay and wanted to go back. I had some questions, and the property owner responded promptly and thoroughly.

Cdavid

November 10th, 2020 St Louis, MO

Vrbo is easy to use. I like being able to see many pictures and available dates. I always read the reviews.

Julie Earl

November 10th, 2020 Magna, UT

We always use VRBO when traveling with our family. We can always find a property that will work for our wants and needs. Highly recommend this vacation rental platform!

Crystal

November 9th, 2020 Logan, UT

I like the option to find alternatives to staying in a hotel. Recently we were needing to stay in a small town where most of the hotels had been booked for a sporting event. I looked up and was surprised to find several vrbo options. We stayed in a nice, well lite basement for less than we would have if we stayed in a run down motel.

Cjorduno

November 8th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used VRBO many times to book my vacation rentals! The process was easy and secure and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a great rental!

Bill Brown

November 7th, 2020 Taylors, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I made a reservation with VRBO in Sept, 2019 on a listing by Better Beach Rentals, Oak Island, NC and made a payment. COVID hit in March. In April I contacted them and they said send a letter and cancellation and I would get a full refund. I sent the letter and received a verification on May 20th, 2020. I have had to follow up continuously since then. It is Nov, 2020 and I am still trying to get my refund. BBR says they never got the money from VRBO and VRBO says they sent the money to BBR. All I know is that it came out of my account.

Leisha

November 6th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used VRBO to rent out our own property!! It’s a great way to get your rental seen. They are great to work with.

Ryan Larsen

November 5th, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vrbo is my favorite site for booking vacation rentals. Extremely reliable and safe.

Tiffany Vollmer

November 4th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Vrbo for our family reunion and the site was very easy to use with lots of great options. The transactions were very smooth.

Dee Ashcroft

November 4th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used VRBO for a number of vacations. We have found the reviews honest and therefore we have been happy to get what we expected

Leeta

October 9th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used this service on two different occasions for family reunions. We were very pleased with the results of our selections! Working with the service was very easy and the selections were all excellent. We received prompt response to issues and were very happy with the comfort of our choices. We will continue to use this service in future reunions!!

Unhappy

October 8th, 2020 , WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible company. First I rented and paid for a Hawaii rental- got a confirmation number. Then 3 days later said price was wrong so had to pay more!!?? Vrbo would not budge to meeting in the middle or taking the blame and giving us the listed price or the responsibility for messing up! Just said find another one! Now I found a place to rent for next summer paid for it and received confirmation it was booked. The next day I got man email saying it’s not available so find another one basically! The dates were out there!!! Now I am stuck again without a place It was hard to find in the first place. What is the deal with VRBO?!? It sucks lately. Vacations are being ruined!!!!!!!

Ajay Patel

October 6th, 2020 Southlake, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great selection of homes at great prices. I was not a big fan of their COVID policy. I had to give up half of my deposit because i was not able to travel during my booking secondary to COVID.

Scott A. Johnson

September 17th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vrbo is a competitor of Airbnb and has similar listings. It has many of the same properties as Airbnb. My main complaint is that it is difficult to find your reservations on the website.

Tagg

September 11th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO is a good site. They have a lot of selection to choose from and the fees are outlined really clearly.

Tony

September 10th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Definitely my favorite place to find a vacation spot to rent. We've found amazing deals using it.

Brittany Wilkinson

September 9th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Last summer we used VRBO to find a vacation rental in close proximity to another home. We were able to find one the next street over. It was the perfect location and size. The home was beautiful and clean and within walking distance of the area we needed to be in.

Danny Reeder

September 5th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vbro make is very easy to search, locate, and book homes to stay/visit. We've never had any issues with using Vbro or any homes we've stayed in. They do an amazing job.

Dre35

September 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT

We used VRBO when we stayed in Newport Beach, and St. George! AWESOME! It allows us to pick the right place to stay, and the property managers that use VRBO are amazing to work with!

J Finnell

July 3rd, 2020 Georgetown, TX

It was a great vacation. The only negative was the miniature coffee pot that did not make but two cups. The coffee did not get hot or stay hot while making. It did not meet the standards of the rest of the rental. Thank you. Never a customer of turnkey but Vrbo yes.

reise

April 29th, 2020 Villa Bisono, 25 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After the Florida Governor issued a ban on entry and I was affected, vrbo refused to cancel the booking or without any repayment from the owner. They paid back about 10%, only the alleged commissions from VRBO, everything else they just kept including service fee and sales tax, which were certainly not paid. VRBO never again

Danny L. Mendoza

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

bad customer service and slow response never again

CJ

April 6th, 2020 Cedarburg, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had to cancel due to COVID-19. We were entitled to 1/2 of our money back; they simply won't issue the credit. Five phone calls later, nothing. Long hold times and then they tell you it will be refunded just to get you off the phone. But it does not happen. Do not go through this company; you will be disappointed.

Yani Fazio

March 19th, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As per Government orders & Global pandemic dictates, we cannot travel. VRBO & Owner refuses to change our travel dates or refund or help out at all. After connecting with THOUSAND upon THOUSANDS of other travelers online in the same situation, it is clear that VRBO does NOT care about public safety and is more concerned about short term money gains versus long term reputation. This will be the end of them. AIRBNB did the right thing and changed their policy to serve their customer base in this emergency. Does VRBO think they are immune to social media? The airlines refunded us, the tours we booked were no problem, the ski resorts, the lifts, the rentals, the car rental company, etc. VRBO is the only one giving us problems. We are currently out $5k! We have saved for years for this. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMER BASE. WE WILL NEVER EVER BOOK WITH THEM AGAIN, AND WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD THE WORD.

MSDavis

March 10th, 2020 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We rented property in Galveston, TX over a month ago. The property owner did NOT send us the code to enter the property. We call her all night long, with only options was sleep in our rented vehicle or pay last minute price for a hotel. We opted to pay for the hotel, assuming the owner would offer to at least reimburse since it was her fault completely. We owner finally contacted us the next morning with the code. Upon arriving at her property, while watching TV in the bedroom, the 9'TV picture turns off but the audio is still there. NOPE no timer is set and nothing in the setting was set either. We for her to reimburse for our hotel room, she informed us that she wasn't making any profit on the property...BLAH BLAH. Our nightly rate at her property was $68.33 and she offered to refund $65...HOW is that acceptable? I want Cleaning, Service Charge and Taxes reimbursed since we did NOT stay the three (3) nights we paid for. We have contact VRBO numerous times with no explanation or resolution. I travel at least 4 times a year and will never use VRBO again. Do your research, check and double check there are people that refused to do what is right so I publicly let other know.

Hallieford

February 18th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have booked with VRBO and loved it. Saved money and stayed in a bigger house and kitchen for cheaper then a hotel.

Eddie Rios

February 8th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO is awesome. As new industries develop, VRBO has become a safe and trusted property rental source. It offers great properties, good on terms, contracts are easy, and communication with property owners is simple. I love using VRBO for the vast selection in properties available for any event or vacation.

beachy

February 6th, 2020 Largo, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have a guest that booked for a month and a half, they paid VRBO back in august for their stay. They got here on the 1st, and I as an owner still have not been paid by VRBO, they keep claiming there is a problem in the system and that they are looking into it. Can't give me any idea of when it will be fixed, or when I will get my money. Absolutely horrible. Glad I don't rely on my vacation rental as my primary income or I'd be in some serious financial trouble right now.

Lori A Townsend

February 4th, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO withholding guests $3000 security deposit for 40 days! I have been an owner advertising on VRBO since 2001. Customer service is ABSENT for owners and renters. I rented to a repeat guest over Christmas. The guest paid a $3000 security deposit held by VRBO. As of today, over 40 days later, the guest has still not received their refundable deposit back. I have made 5 calls to VRBO and my guest has made 7 calls to VRBO and they continue to tell us there is a problem with the system. I have asked for a supervisor to call me 5 times and no one has called. VRBO is ruining my rental business. Do no use VRBO, they have no customer service.

Dusty Geiger

December 9th, 2019 Crofton, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was very happy with the owner, she contacted me immediately upon making my reservation. I had to cancel the reservation for medical reasons and tried for over a week to access VRBO through their website with no success(no links or success with chat)I finally called the property owner and she gave me their phone number (not on their website). Now I only get half of my $! DON'T USE VRBO. Btw: We have used other travel sites with great success, guess we will stay with them.

Kristi E Garrison

November 22nd, 2019 Somerville, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I have used VRBO several times through the past 3-4 years and have always been extremely satisfied with them. Until now. Our vacation was cancelled just 2 days prior to our arrival date by the owner. It took hours on the phone along with numerous texts and emails to get a full refund. We were given a partial refund twice before getting the full amount. Essentially, VRBO was sorry, but could not help with a new place unless we wanted to pay full price for it. That would have been seriously crazy as we had yet to get our money back from the prior reservation.

Troy Farrell

November 8th, 2019

I booked a condo in Asheville NC on Oct 29th for the month of November. condo was available on line and VRBO accepted my money for the monthly rent. I called the owner - property manager on Oct 30th for the access and he told me that condo has been rented till March!!. it has been 2 weeks now, i am calling VRBO everyday to collect my money back, explain everything from scratch to call center employees everyday, so far no real action taken. The owner took the property off the web site, sent a message to me and them saying he doesn't work with VRBO anymore and VRBO is saying they still need to talk to him before they pay my money back.!!!! Horrible set up, worst call center. DON'T USE VRBO OR HOME AWAY!! AirBnB is way better.

Kendall Valdez

October 9th, 2019 Carson City, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have booked with VRBO/home away more times than I can count. My family and friends use them as well. All experiences have been good ones. As a loyal customer, I expect loyalty in return if something were to go wrong. In September of 2019 I booked a property for November 19. It was a home in Las Vegas for a half marathon race and mini family vacation. As always, I paid up front in full. In October of 2019 I was notified by VRBO via email that there was “possibly an issue with my upcoming booking” and to contact the owner. I did as they said and was upset by the owners response. He stated that VRBO had taken everything from him, shut down all his properties and left him bankrupt. He then notified me that not only was my booking cancelled but he had no funds to refund me my money for a trip that was more than a month away. I wasn’t too panicked at this time because I knew VRBO would take care of me with their “Book with confidence guarantee”. After all, it’s that what booking though a site like this is for? For security? Boy was I wrong. I first responded to VRBO’s initial email in which prompted me to a 1-800 number. I called this number and was lead through the ringer. They could not help me at this time. The lady said the owner had received a “serious complaint” and as a result had to be shut down. That is all she could tell me. She said she would expedite my case and I would receive a call I about 24hrs. 24hrs later, no call but another email.... stating that VRBO could not help me (with no explanation given) and that I needed to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I called VrBO 2 more times after this looking for answers... no one could give me any information other than “This is a unique situation” and I was finally told to stop contacting them. I am appalled to say the least. DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY. Airbnb provides a much better service with a guarantee they actually stick with.

Tim Robinson

September 2nd, 2019 Cary, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The changes and fee's to not only thee owners but our client's have got'en out of hand the owner are having to reduce rates or stay the same so vrbo can make more off both ,they are not owner's just a hosting site that's it ...... I am going to go with my local realtor .

Lane Newman

July 24th, 2019 Jefferson, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO booking guarantee is a complete falsehood. These are just 2 reasons for refunding a booking from their website. • If the property is significantly not as described, unsafe, or you are denied access, you must contact Customer Support within the first twelve (12) hours of the event. • If your reservation has been canceled less than 30 days from your stay and you are unable to locate a similar property available during the same period. I was also quoted this information over the phone by a representative-when I called because the owner – rented the first night of our trip to her current guest before we arrived. She refused to refund the night’s stay. She claimed it was up to VRBO to refund it – They told me this was her mix-up and she needed to refund it. I questioned the promise of the guarantee and I was told the above were reasons to refund a booking. I was dealing with the exact reasons given for a booking to be guaranteed by VRBO but was still denied a refund from either VRBO or the owner. They offered no concern that we were traveling a great distance and had nowhere to stay. After HOURS of trying to work this out through the message system and VRBO– the owner-Marj refused to honor the 2nd night of the booking then refused to refund the money for this night too. Marj flat out lied promising she would place a check in the mail to refund a portion of the cost. It has been 2 weeks. Do not trust this owner. Do not trust that your booking is secure because you booked with VRBO. Do NOT stay here. You may or may not have a room when you arrive. You will definitely not receive a refund and will have to pay for a 2nd night’s stay.

Debbie Byrd

June 26th, 2019 Georgetown, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First of all we are a recently retired couple wanting to find a great place to take out entire family on vacation so we found called Camelot on Cinnamon Beach. This is a beautiful 7 bedroom, 7 bathroom home three houses from the beach. We booked this home 11 months in advance. We have 10 adults and 5 children. Upon arrival on Saturday, June 1, 2019, we found the swimming pool at the home had not been cleaned. As the children were so ready to jump in the pool we quickly called and they sent someone with a skimmer and said they would be back on Monday to clean the pool. My husband later that evening got into the pool with the kids. He got some water in his eye and it immediately started burning and turned red. For the rest of the week his eye was infected and by the middle of the week they were both infected. This was not a good way to start a vacation. On Monday evening we got all the food prepared to cook on the grill by the pool only to realize the grill didn't work. So we called and the same lady came and checked the grill and said yep, it doesn't work. She said she would have to get someone else to check it later. They finally came and cleaned to pool on Tuesday. They came on Tuesday and checked the grill and stated it was simply out of gas but they never returned to re-gas it. Did I mention the awesome movie theatre at the property also didn't work. We realized this after we had all the kids seated and ready with popcorn to watch the movie. Also, the first night my grandson found sand in his sheets. The kitchen garbage can stunk like it had never been cleaned......oh but wait....it gets better. Thursday evening my daughter in law had a big red bite on her leg. My son specializes in animal control and recognized this to be a BED BUG BITE. So, he checks the bed they were sleeping in and sure enough there were live bed bugs in the bed!!! He started checking his sons bed and also found red blood stain on the mattress where he was sleeping. So my son slept in another bed and his son moved to the sofa. First thing Friday morning we called and they sent a Professional Company to confirm BED BUGS which he did. He advised us not to sleep in either of the beds he found bugs and evidence of bugs. He told us that every stitch of clothing needed to be dried for 45 minutes in the dryer and all luggage to be scrubbed with soap and water. After he left I called VRBO and advised them and asked what to do. They said they would find accommodations for us for Friday, as we were supposed to leave on Saturday. They also had other guests checking in on Friday. I asked how they were going to be able to accommodate other guests if they were going to treat the house for BED BUGS?? They stated they had already relocated the next guests. So, I waited to hear from them. They later called and said they were unable to find accommodations for us and we could leave and they would refund one night. I told them we could not leave because we had to do laundry for 15 people and beach towels and scrub suitcases and would like to have until Sunday to complete this since the other guests had been relocated. After checking back with us they informed us that we would have to check out on Saturday as the people were coming after all. So, I assume it was not even treated for BED BUGS then and probably since then. We worked all day Friday without even getting to the beach as we were busy getting the laundry done and making sure as best we could that we didn't have any bugs with us. The Professional told us that the BED BUG eggs could live up to a year. So, I made a complaint to VRBO and told them we should be reimbursed for some of our trip since two nights were spend looking for bugs not to even mention all of the unsatisfactory issues, Bottom line they offered us $500 is we would sign a paper saying we would not give a review on social media, internet, etc. I told them I wouldn't accept hush money. That was just another insult to injury as far as I'm concerned. This is a million dollar home that they are not maintaining very well. A few things I just accepted but BED BUGS are not acceptable! They are nasty, leave really nasty bites and very hard to get rid of. Who thinks we deserve a refund? I just wanted to warn other people renting this property so you won't bring BED BUGS into your home. Totally unacceptable in my book.....or my BED!

Ard1983

May 31st, 2019 Gonzales, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company will not stand behind the policy of the rental agreement and will not do what is right. They will give you the run around, anything to not refund your money.

Mary L

January 4th, 2019 Hermiston, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT USE VRBO FOR YOUR TRAVEL!!!! Please pass this on to your friends and family and it will save them a lot of money and heartache. In October of 2018 my mom and I decided on a last minute trip to Hawaii for my birthday in December. After booking flights to Seattle and on to Hawaii I decided to save some money and try something new: VRBO. Even though some friends of mine had had trouble with a home they had rented in Florida through VRBO, cockroaches to be precise and lots of them, I was renting a newly remodeled condo in a well known property: Aston the Whaler at Kaanapali Beach, so I felt pretty comfortable with it. VRBO gave my info to BLACK ROCK RENTALS and I was contacted by them. I was surprised when they asked for all the money up front, including taxes and room cleaning fees, but I had every intention of going to Hawaii in December so I didnt think much of it and paid for ROOM #1113. Two days before we were to fly out my husband's father died in a freak accident and I had to cancel our flights and accommodation. Of course I wasnt expecting refunds, just vouchers or credit for future travel. Both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines were wonderful. They were sympathetic and kind over the phone and with little effort I received a credit and voucher for future travel. After emailing and calling Black Rock Rentals I was denied any kind of voucher for future travel or refund. The over $2300 prepayment was nonrefundable and lost, no exceptions, even if due to the death of an immediate family member. The only way to get any refund was if the unit was rented out to another party (after looking at VRBO I found that they had relisted the condo). I wrote Black Rock Rentals again and told them that I was absolutely astonished that they would keep all the money even in the event of a family death. They refunded me the cleaning fee of $175 but kept the rest, even the taxes. Then they removed the rental from VRBO. Thinking they had gotten another party to rent the condo I wrote them and asked about it. Their response was that "they could not list a last minute rental on VRBO." It was heartbreaking to have my dearly loved father-in-law pass away, but these owners (owners of room #1113 of Aston The Whaler at Kaanapali Shores) made a sad situation even worse. It's hard to believe that anyone could be so heartless in the midst of such a tragedy but there are no exceptions and no laws that protect you against these situations when you use VRBO! You are at the mercy of individuals who have no morals or principles and who only care about making money. I can only hope that my story will help protect others who are tempted to save a few dollars by using VRBO. You may only end up with cockroaches, but in the event of an unplanned emergency you could loose thousands. Had we gone through a legitimate hotel/resort we would have had time to cancel, but not with VRBO who requires a 60 DAY NOTICE for cancelation. PLEASE BEWARE!! GO THROUGH A LEGITIMATE TRAVEL COMPANY like Booking.com. After all that VRBO won't let me write a review since I only paid for the rental but did not actually stay there.