Founded in 1995, Vrbo assists vacationers in finding accommodations through local homeowner properties. Vrbo has locations spread all over the world with an easy search bar so travelers can easily find the exact vacation home that they need for their perfect vacation. As part of the Expedia Group, Vrbo gets over 750 million views per month. Vrbo offers a wide range of rental properties in 190 countries including the lowest prices all the way up to high-end luxury rentals.

The Good

• Variety of Options
  • Booking Options
  • Cancellation Protection
  • Customer Reviews and Protection
  • Mobile Services

Variety of Options

Vrbo has a variety of options for travelers. Each rental owner determines the price to rent his or her space, so prices will vary based on location, amenities, size, condition, etc. Vrbo rentals are available throughout the United States and in 190 countries around the world. An email and phone number are provided for each property owner, so travelers can speak directly with the property owner before they book or during the booking process. With the phone number, travelers are also given the best time to reach the property owner along with the languages they speak. Emails go through Vrbo.com.

• Insurance Options: Vrbo provides customers with the option to purchase damage and cancellation insurance.
  • 24/7 Support: 24/7 support is available to all customers by Vrbo.
  • Large Property Selection: Currently, Vrbo has over one million properties listed.
  • Secure Payment Options: Vrbo has a secure and safe payment process, providing comfort to its customers.

Booking Options

Reservations are made through Vrbo.com. Travelers have the option of clicking the "Book It" button after their dates are selected to reserve the space. Or travelers can choose to email or call the rental owner for more information.

Cancellation Protection

Vrbo offers cancellation protection through a HomeAway partner, CSA Travel Protection and Insurance Services. This service safeguards the traveler's non-refundable payments in case they need to cancel their trip for a covered reason. Vacation rental payments typically become non-refundable 30-90 days before the arrival date. Cancellation protection features:

• Protects insured trip cost up to $50,000 if guests need to cancel.
  • Offers reimbursement if guests cancel their trip due to covered events such as sickness, injury, flight cancellations, mandatory evacuation, or job loss.
  • Travel delay benefits available if guests are delayed for 12 or more hours due to flight delays, weather, or sickness. Learn more.
  • Additional services* can be found on the site.

Customer Reviews and Protection

Each property has customer reviews listed under their rental descriptions. Each review also has a star rating; so potential travelers can easily determine the quality of the rental without having to read through each review. Additionally, any payments made through the secure HomeAway platform are protected up to $10,000 against fraud. Or an additional fee will protect you against other renting issues like double booking or security deposit issues.

Mobile Services

Vrbo has a mobile friendly site. The mobile site makes it easy to enter the desired location and dates on the landing page. The site's design also makes it simple to browse rental listings. Vrbo also has the "HomeAway & Vrbo Vacation Rentals" free mobile app. Users are given the option to view the app when they visit the mobile site.

The Bad

• Customer Complaints
  • Fees
  • Certain Fees are Not Refundable

Customer Complaints

Vrbo has many negative customer reviews about things like poor customer service and excessive fees. Both customers renting from Vrbo and homeowners listing with the site have written complaints. Many homeowners complain about new changes under Expedia's ownership. They complain about higher fees, more control by Vrbo, booking problems, etc. Renters complain about higher fees, booking errors, cancellation problems, and unresponsive or helpful customer service.

Fees

Overall, there are quite a few things that Vrbo could improve on.  The biggest issue with Vrbo is the extra fees.  There is a high service fee and fees associated with damage insurance, cancellation insurance, and the Carefree Rental Guarantee.

• High Renters Service Charge: Vrbo charges renters a 5 percent commission in service fees to rent their property.
  • Credit Card Processing Fee: Vrbo charges a 3 percent credit card or e-check processing fee for the total amount paid by the traveler.
  • No Verification: No verification is done on properties listed with Vrbo. This is concerning, as customers want to be sure they are renting a legitimate property and aren't getting scammed.
  • No Free Cancellation: Vrbo doesn't offer all customers a free cancellation option with all properties.

Certain Fees are Not Refundable

Another issue that customers have been commenting about is the fact that Vrbo charges a customer's credit card upon booking, but owners are not paid until renters are in the house. If customers go to cancel the rental, customers will not be refunded certain fees. Most other companies refund these fees as a courtesy to renters if they have to cancel. Make sure to use the Vrbo fee calculator to see how expensive these add-ons would be for your vacation.

The Bottom Line

Vrbo has over one million vacation rental options, so you are bound to find a rental that works well for you. If possible, try to find a vacation rental you feel is secure so you can possibly skip out on those extra insurance fees.

1.6

J Finnell

July 3rd, 2020 Georgetown, TX

It was a great vacation. The only negative was the miniature coffee pot that did not make but two cups. The coffee did not get hot or stay hot while making. It did not meet the standards of the rest of the rental. Thank you. Never a customer of turnkey but Vrbo yes.

reise

April 29th, 2020 Villa Bisono, 25 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After the Florida Governor issued a ban on entry and I was affected, vrbo refused to cancel the booking or without any repayment from the owner. They paid back about 10%, only the alleged commissions from VRBO, everything else they just kept including service fee and sales tax, which were certainly not paid. VRBO never again

Danny L. Mendoza

April 17th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

bad customer service and slow response never again

CJ

April 6th, 2020 Cedarburg, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had to cancel due to COVID-19. We were entitled to 1/2 of our money back; they simply won't issue the credit. Five phone calls later, nothing. Long hold times and then they tell you it will be refunded just to get you off the phone. But it does not happen. Do not go through this company; you will be disappointed.

Yani Fazio

March 19th, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As per Government orders & Global pandemic dictates, we cannot travel. VRBO & Owner refuses to change our travel dates or refund or help out at all. After connecting with THOUSAND upon THOUSANDS of other travelers online in the same situation, it is clear that VRBO does NOT care about public safety and is more concerned about short term money gains versus long term reputation. This will be the end of them. AIRBNB did the right thing and changed their policy to serve their customer base in this emergency. Does VRBO think they are immune to social media? The airlines refunded us, the tours we booked were no problem, the ski resorts, the lifts, the rentals, the car rental company, etc. VRBO is the only one giving us problems. We are currently out $5k! We have saved for years for this. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMER BASE. WE WILL NEVER EVER BOOK WITH THEM AGAIN, AND WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD THE WORD.

MSDavis

March 10th, 2020 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We rented property in Galveston, TX over a month ago. The property owner did NOT send us the code to enter the property. We call her all night long, with only options was sleep in our rented vehicle or pay last minute price for a hotel. We opted to pay for the hotel, assuming the owner would offer to at least reimburse since it was her fault completely. We owner finally contacted us the next morning with the code. Upon arriving at her property, while watching TV in the bedroom, the 9'TV picture turns off but the audio is still there. NOPE no timer is set and nothing in the setting was set either. We for her to reimburse for our hotel room, she informed us that she wasn't making any profit on the property...BLAH BLAH. Our nightly rate at her property was $68.33 and she offered to refund $65...HOW is that acceptable? I want Cleaning, Service Charge and Taxes reimbursed since we did NOT stay the three (3) nights we paid for. We have contact VRBO numerous times with no explanation or resolution. I travel at least 4 times a year and will never use VRBO again. Do your research, check and double check there are people that refused to do what is right so I publicly let other know.

Hallieford

February 18th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have booked with VRBO and loved it. Saved money and stayed in a bigger house and kitchen for cheaper then a hotel.

Eddie Rios

February 8th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO is awesome. As new industries develop, VRBO has become a safe and trusted property rental source. It offers great properties, good on terms, contracts are easy, and communication with property owners is simple. I love using VRBO for the vast selection in properties available for any event or vacation.

beachy

February 6th, 2020 Largo, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have a guest that booked for a month and a half, they paid VRBO back in august for their stay. They got here on the 1st, and I as an owner still have not been paid by VRBO, they keep claiming there is a problem in the system and that they are looking into it. Can't give me any idea of when it will be fixed, or when I will get my money. Absolutely horrible. Glad I don't rely on my vacation rental as my primary income or I'd be in some serious financial trouble right now.

Lori A Townsend

February 4th, 2020 San Antonio, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO withholding guests $3000 security deposit for 40 days! I have been an owner advertising on VRBO since 2001. Customer service is ABSENT for owners and renters. I rented to a repeat guest over Christmas. The guest paid a $3000 security deposit held by VRBO. As of today, over 40 days later, the guest has still not received their refundable deposit back. I have made 5 calls to VRBO and my guest has made 7 calls to VRBO and they continue to tell us there is a problem with the system. I have asked for a supervisor to call me 5 times and no one has called. VRBO is ruining my rental business. Do no use VRBO, they have no customer service.

Dusty Geiger

December 9th, 2019 Crofton, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was very happy with the owner, she contacted me immediately upon making my reservation. I had to cancel the reservation for medical reasons and tried for over a week to access VRBO through their website with no success(no links or success with chat)I finally called the property owner and she gave me their phone number (not on their website). Now I only get half of my $! DON'T USE VRBO. Btw: We have used other travel sites with great success, guess we will stay with them.

Kristi E Garrison

November 22nd, 2019 Somerville, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I have used VRBO several times through the past 3-4 years and have always been extremely satisfied with them. Until now. Our vacation was cancelled just 2 days prior to our arrival date by the owner. It took hours on the phone along with numerous texts and emails to get a full refund. We were given a partial refund twice before getting the full amount. Essentially, VRBO was sorry, but could not help with a new place unless we wanted to pay full price for it. That would have been seriously crazy as we had yet to get our money back from the prior reservation.

Troy Farrell

November 8th, 2019

I booked a condo in Asheville NC on Oct 29th for the month of November. condo was available on line and VRBO accepted my money for the monthly rent. I called the owner - property manager on Oct 30th for the access and he told me that condo has been rented till March!!. it has been 2 weeks now, i am calling VRBO everyday to collect my money back, explain everything from scratch to call center employees everyday, so far no real action taken. The owner took the property off the web site, sent a message to me and them saying he doesn't work with VRBO anymore and VRBO is saying they still need to talk to him before they pay my money back.!!!! Horrible set up, worst call center. DON'T USE VRBO OR HOME AWAY!! AirBnB is way better.

Kendall Valdez

October 9th, 2019 Carson City, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have booked with VRBO/home away more times than I can count. My family and friends use them as well. All experiences have been good ones. As a loyal customer, I expect loyalty in return if something were to go wrong. In September of 2019 I booked a property for November 19. It was a home in Las Vegas for a half marathon race and mini family vacation. As always, I paid up front in full. In October of 2019 I was notified by VRBO via email that there was “possibly an issue with my upcoming booking” and to contact the owner. I did as they said and was upset by the owners response. He stated that VRBO had taken everything from him, shut down all his properties and left him bankrupt. He then notified me that not only was my booking cancelled but he had no funds to refund me my money for a trip that was more than a month away. I wasn’t too panicked at this time because I knew VRBO would take care of me with their “Book with confidence guarantee”. After all, it’s that what booking though a site like this is for? For security? Boy was I wrong. I first responded to VRBO’s initial email in which prompted me to a 1-800 number. I called this number and was lead through the ringer. They could not help me at this time. The lady said the owner had received a “serious complaint” and as a result had to be shut down. That is all she could tell me. She said she would expedite my case and I would receive a call I about 24hrs. 24hrs later, no call but another email.... stating that VRBO could not help me (with no explanation given) and that I needed to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I called VrBO 2 more times after this looking for answers... no one could give me any information other than “This is a unique situation” and I was finally told to stop contacting them. I am appalled to say the least. DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY. Airbnb provides a much better service with a guarantee they actually stick with.

Tim Robinson

September 2nd, 2019 Cary, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The changes and fee's to not only thee owners but our client's have got'en out of hand the owner are having to reduce rates or stay the same so vrbo can make more off both ,they are not owner's just a hosting site that's it ...... I am going to go with my local realtor .

Lane Newman

July 24th, 2019 Jefferson, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO booking guarantee is a complete falsehood. These are just 2 reasons for refunding a booking from their website. • If the property is significantly not as described, unsafe, or you are denied access, you must contact Customer Support within the first twelve (12) hours of the event. • If your reservation has been canceled less than 30 days from your stay and you are unable to locate a similar property available during the same period. I was also quoted this information over the phone by a representative-when I called because the owner – rented the first night of our trip to her current guest before we arrived. She refused to refund the night’s stay. She claimed it was up to VRBO to refund it – They told me this was her mix-up and she needed to refund it. I questioned the promise of the guarantee and I was told the above were reasons to refund a booking. I was dealing with the exact reasons given for a booking to be guaranteed by VRBO but was still denied a refund from either VRBO or the owner. They offered no concern that we were traveling a great distance and had nowhere to stay. After HOURS of trying to work this out through the message system and VRBO– the owner-Marj refused to honor the 2nd night of the booking then refused to refund the money for this night too. Marj flat out lied promising she would place a check in the mail to refund a portion of the cost. It has been 2 weeks. Do not trust this owner. Do not trust that your booking is secure because you booked with VRBO. Do NOT stay here. You may or may not have a room when you arrive. You will definitely not receive a refund and will have to pay for a 2nd night’s stay.

Debbie Byrd

June 26th, 2019 Georgetown, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First of all we are a recently retired couple wanting to find a great place to take out entire family on vacation so we found called Camelot on Cinnamon Beach. This is a beautiful 7 bedroom, 7 bathroom home three houses from the beach. We booked this home 11 months in advance. We have 10 adults and 5 children. Upon arrival on Saturday, June 1, 2019, we found the swimming pool at the home had not been cleaned. As the children were so ready to jump in the pool we quickly called and they sent someone with a skimmer and said they would be back on Monday to clean the pool. My husband later that evening got into the pool with the kids. He got some water in his eye and it immediately started burning and turned red. For the rest of the week his eye was infected and by the middle of the week they were both infected. This was not a good way to start a vacation. On Monday evening we got all the food prepared to cook on the grill by the pool only to realize the grill didn't work. So we called and the same lady came and checked the grill and said yep, it doesn't work. She said she would have to get someone else to check it later. They finally came and cleaned to pool on Tuesday. They came on Tuesday and checked the grill and stated it was simply out of gas but they never returned to re-gas it. Did I mention the awesome movie theatre at the property also didn't work. We realized this after we had all the kids seated and ready with popcorn to watch the movie. Also, the first night my grandson found sand in his sheets. The kitchen garbage can stunk like it had never been cleaned......oh but wait....it gets better. Thursday evening my daughter in law had a big red bite on her leg. My son specializes in animal control and recognized this to be a BED BUG BITE. So, he checks the bed they were sleeping in and sure enough there were live bed bugs in the bed!!! He started checking his sons bed and also found red blood stain on the mattress where he was sleeping. So my son slept in another bed and his son moved to the sofa. First thing Friday morning we called and they sent a Professional Company to confirm BED BUGS which he did. He advised us not to sleep in either of the beds he found bugs and evidence of bugs. He told us that every stitch of clothing needed to be dried for 45 minutes in the dryer and all luggage to be scrubbed with soap and water. After he left I called VRBO and advised them and asked what to do. They said they would find accommodations for us for Friday, as we were supposed to leave on Saturday. They also had other guests checking in on Friday. I asked how they were going to be able to accommodate other guests if they were going to treat the house for BED BUGS?? They stated they had already relocated the next guests. So, I waited to hear from them. They later called and said they were unable to find accommodations for us and we could leave and they would refund one night. I told them we could not leave because we had to do laundry for 15 people and beach towels and scrub suitcases and would like to have until Sunday to complete this since the other guests had been relocated. After checking back with us they informed us that we would have to check out on Saturday as the people were coming after all. So, I assume it was not even treated for BED BUGS then and probably since then. We worked all day Friday without even getting to the beach as we were busy getting the laundry done and making sure as best we could that we didn't have any bugs with us. The Professional told us that the BED BUG eggs could live up to a year. So, I made a complaint to VRBO and told them we should be reimbursed for some of our trip since two nights were spend looking for bugs not to even mention all of the unsatisfactory issues, Bottom line they offered us $500 is we would sign a paper saying we would not give a review on social media, internet, etc. I told them I wouldn't accept hush money. That was just another insult to injury as far as I'm concerned. This is a million dollar home that they are not maintaining very well. A few things I just accepted but BED BUGS are not acceptable! They are nasty, leave really nasty bites and very hard to get rid of. Who thinks we deserve a refund? I just wanted to warn other people renting this property so you won't bring BED BUGS into your home. Totally unacceptable in my book.....or my BED!

Ard1983

May 31st, 2019 Gonzales, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company will not stand behind the policy of the rental agreement and will not do what is right. They will give you the run around, anything to not refund your money.

Mary L

January 4th, 2019 Hermiston, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT USE VRBO FOR YOUR TRAVEL!!!! Please pass this on to your friends and family and it will save them a lot of money and heartache. In October of 2018 my mom and I decided on a last minute trip to Hawaii for my birthday in December. After booking flights to Seattle and on to Hawaii I decided to save some money and try something new: VRBO. Even though some friends of mine had had trouble with a home they had rented in Florida through VRBO, cockroaches to be precise and lots of them, I was renting a newly remodeled condo in a well known property: Aston the Whaler at Kaanapali Beach, so I felt pretty comfortable with it. VRBO gave my info to BLACK ROCK RENTALS and I was contacted by them. I was surprised when they asked for all the money up front, including taxes and room cleaning fees, but I had every intention of going to Hawaii in December so I didnt think much of it and paid for ROOM #1113. Two days before we were to fly out my husband's father died in a freak accident and I had to cancel our flights and accommodation. Of course I wasnt expecting refunds, just vouchers or credit for future travel. Both Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines were wonderful. They were sympathetic and kind over the phone and with little effort I received a credit and voucher for future travel. After emailing and calling Black Rock Rentals I was denied any kind of voucher for future travel or refund. The over $2300 prepayment was nonrefundable and lost, no exceptions, even if due to the death of an immediate family member. The only way to get any refund was if the unit was rented out to another party (after looking at VRBO I found that they had relisted the condo). I wrote Black Rock Rentals again and told them that I was absolutely astonished that they would keep all the money even in the event of a family death. They refunded me the cleaning fee of $175 but kept the rest, even the taxes. Then they removed the rental from VRBO. Thinking they had gotten another party to rent the condo I wrote them and asked about it. Their response was that "they could not list a last minute rental on VRBO." It was heartbreaking to have my dearly loved father-in-law pass away, but these owners (owners of room #1113 of Aston The Whaler at Kaanapali Shores) made a sad situation even worse. It's hard to believe that anyone could be so heartless in the midst of such a tragedy but there are no exceptions and no laws that protect you against these situations when you use VRBO! You are at the mercy of individuals who have no morals or principles and who only care about making money. I can only hope that my story will help protect others who are tempted to save a few dollars by using VRBO. You may only end up with cockroaches, but in the event of an unplanned emergency you could loose thousands. Had we gone through a legitimate hotel/resort we would have had time to cancel, but not with VRBO who requires a 60 DAY NOTICE for cancelation. PLEASE BEWARE!! GO THROUGH A LEGITIMATE TRAVEL COMPANY like Booking.com. After all that VRBO won't let me write a review since I only paid for the rental but did not actually stay there.

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve used VRBO to rent a room to surprise my wife. The selection was OK, the website was harder than others to navigate. It was on the pricey side compared to other hotel rentals, but I always try to see if there’s anything worth staying in on their site. Worth having.

Jessica M Hayes

November 3rd, 2018 Edmonds, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Unable to get any of my money refunded despite abiding by the 100% refund cancellation policy guidelines. The Book with Confidence Guarantee does NOT provide the consumer with any protection. Vrbo/homeAway take zero responsibility for the property they advertise once you have booked. The worst customer service.

Ed Crimmins

October 11th, 2018 Springboro, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The booking experience went smooth and the property owner was great to work with. We had a great rental experience. My dissatisfaction is with VRBO's policy that limits the time I can post a review. I am a busy person and the review was not a top priority. When I dedicated time for the review, about 5 weeks after my stay, VRBO gave me a message that my ability to write a review had expired. I called customer service, who contacted the property owner, The property owner was great to work with again, but could not over ride the VRBO policy. I just got off the phone again with VRBO customer Service and Mark reiterated the policy. I asked them to over ride the policy, but they would not. My property experience was great, but my VRBO experience was terrible. VRBO does not know how to take care of customers who have simple requests.

Ruth Swartzendruber

October 5th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

VRBO has terrible customer service. Our rental was under construction and we found out the day of check in. The owner failed to communicate this and we had 12 people coming into town. VRBO was of no help in this situation and actually said the issue was our fault. This company is completely absurd and offers ridiculously poor service.

Lily Wick

August 2nd, 2018 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My friends and I booked at 5 bedroom house with VRBO in December, 2017 for a wedding in August, 2018. Everything was paid in full and confirmed. 48 hours before we were due to arrive, VRBO contact us to let us know that there was a glitch in their system and the people currently renting the property had extended their stay so the house was no longer available. The offered us a 4 bedroom house from Saturday - Tuesday instead and not comping anything. We all arrive Friday morning for the wedding and now have nowhere to stay. All of the hotels are now exorbitantly expensive. I would stay away from VRBO at all costs - they do not honor reservations book 7 months in advance.

Marie-Claire Schreyer

July 11th, 2018 Cape Coral, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you want to rent a property - do NOT use vrbo. There is nothing but issues but the worst part, if you do have a damage and claim the damage deposit, they block the listing until you pay it back in full. My guest damaged the table, even wrote to vrbo about it, and my listing‘is blocked even though he admitted, I sent pictures and original receipt. The customer service is horrible, I wait up to a week and longer for a simple reply. I used to list my properties on the website for 8 years but will no longer since they think they can control and decide. They changed a lot lately and I can only recommend to stay away. All fine unless you really have an issue, they only support renters because they pay their extragous fees. I will not accept this and I can only tell you - Stay away!

rl

June 29th, 2018 Beverly Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In helping small business owners for the past 14 years, especially in the vacation rental industry, it is sad to see a market behemoth like VRBO.com slowly take away the business of owners across the country. Not only do they want to control the calendar, money and rules, but now they want to control the communication. Who owns the small businesses anyways? An owner isn't even permitted to communicate with a prospective client unless it goes thru the VRBO.com system. So many leads are lost this way due to unnecessary rules and steps. Hopefully another company takes notice of the trend that small VR owners are leaving VRBO.com on a daily basis and creates a platform that is fair and continues to support the small business owners. Another market giant has tried, but is following the same format at VRBO.com. They also are losing clients on a daily basis due to this practice. Having a corner on the market is one thing, but when others figure out how to get the traffic, hopefully VRBO.com falls as quickly as it was built.

L. Fowler

June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a nice company to find vacation rentals. I have found that their selection isn't as large as some other companies and their prices are not as competitive. I booked a room through them and paid a little more than another website but couldn't get my money back because of the rental policy.

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have helped book properties on VRBO, and the website is very user-friendly. There are many options on this website.

Peter

September 27th, 2017

I've been an owner listing on VRBO for over 12 years. They have gone from amazing (12 years ago) to the most hated company in the Vacation Rental World. Their fees are excessive (normally 12% charged to my guests by these thieves) and they offer NO value. Don't believe the B.S. about their "carefree rental guarantee" or whatever stupid marketing name they have for it now -- it offers you nothing that your credit card company doesn't already offer. It's a farce. You are paying 12% for nothing. It's insane. Guests, use the pictures you find on VRBO or the verbiage of our listing to find our direct web sites using Google. Then book from us directly; you'll save hundreds of dollars and have a much better experience!

Carlos Ivazeta

September 13th, 2017

my condo in Montreal was robbed few weeks ago using this company, the Insurance Liability DOES NOT COVER the owners properties, it just covers the renters when they got into the properties. I lost around 8,000 dollars in damages and theft. I spoke with Sam, a US Trust & Security Specialist from HomeAway, and he told me that basically is my fault for not protecting my condo of theft. The criminals used a valid credit card that was not reported as stolen, the incident is being investigated by the Police of Montreal and my insurance company is not covering this because NONE of the insurance companies cover theft if we do short rentals. Then when we rent our valued properties we are totally under own risk, HomeAway will not cover criminal acts like this, ANY insurance company will cover either. Hopefully this information will be more public and the company shut down.... the same way they do publicity about the Liability Insurance, they could inform clearly the renters that thay would be robbed the entire house and NOTHING will happen

Bert Strickland

August 23rd, 2017 New York, NY

We booked a VRBO home on February 14, 2017 for a football game in Tallahassee on September 16, 2017. With over a $700 rental fee and deposit made for a 2 night stay and a contract signed and accepted by both parties, we were under the impression that everything was taken care of. In June, the owner unexpectedly and without notice negated our contract and refunded our money. Turns out she found another renter willing to pay more money. We tried for several weeks to contact her with no response. She finally contacted us in July and said it was mistake and that she would still honor the contract. We asked her to charge the same credit card for the rental and deposit and she never completed the transaction. On August 22, 2017 she contacted us and said that she was not honoring our contract again and that she's rented the home to another customer. After calling VRBO several times on August 23, 2017 and sitting on hold for over an hour, there has been no resolution. The representative from the VRBO Traveler Care Team notified me that there is nothing they can do. Between our two families, we are out over $1,000 above and beyond the cost of the rental home. We paid for tickets to the game, 2 car parking spots, an RV spot near the stadium and several tours of local establishments and the campus. We are having to cancel our trip and request that we are offered a VRBO credit of $1,700 to a destination of our choice. VRBO has denied this request.

gene ferera

August 15th, 2017 Arcadia, FL

Terrible....NEVER AGAIN !!! Excessive fees, fes,fees,....LOUSY CUSTOMER SRVICE....and property owner is always at fault!!

cindy blust

July 31st, 2017 Boone, NC

I agree with Steven and Patricia. I have spent hours on the phone with them to no avail. It is like the guest is valued and the customer is not. I HAVE NO VOICE WITH THEM. I had a guest put a 2 star rating and by phone tell me I had to pay back 1500.00 for him to take it off. I did not have that in writing so it could not go before a 'board'. SO I HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT. But the 2 star review WAS ACCEPTED with no written proof that had to be submitted that I had said my AC was old. It is not old and I did not say such but it is allowed to be broadcasted and basically ruin me and my inquiries (as it met guidelines). I AM STUCK...I HAVE NO WHERE TO GO. THE SYSTEM HAS TOTALLY CHANGED AND THE CUSTOMER IS NOT VALUED. Also to KEEP UP WITH THEIR REQUIREMENTS in order to stay in 'good standing' and in a decent place on the 'listing status' is A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. You have to worry constantly to check your emails and to respond and accept OR ELSE. They are more against me than for me and WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PARTNERS TO HELP ONE ANOTHER. IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS OF ANYWHERE ELSE TO GO TO RENT MY UNIT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT GREATLY!

STEVEN BETTENCOURT

July 26th, 2017

Misleading advertising, failure to send funds to owners within a reasonable time (almost a month), inability to screen renters with no vetting. I could go on. WARNING: THIS COMPANY IS NOT WHAT IT APPEARS TO BE IF YOU ARE A HOMEOWNER AND SEEK TO ADVERTISE ON THEIR WEBSITE. THEY TRY TO CONTROL EVERY FINANCIAL ASPECT, INCLUDING FUNDS PAID TO YOU THE HOMEOWNER , TO WHERE YOU WILL BE ON THE PHONE TRYING TO GET RESOLUTION BUT TO NO AVAIL.

patricia kutner

July 20th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

as an owner, the vrbo is a nightmare Try anything rather than go to them The fees they charge are outrageous, they are HORRIBLE. Tripz.com is the newest - try them first. I have never been as disgusted as I am with the VRBO. I can no longer contact a future client except through their email until they book, they charge my clients outrageous fees and they receive no service, I hope they go out of business for what they have done to homeowners

Gordon Bilan

June 23rd, 2017

Arrogant, dishonest, disrespectful, greedy company. Triple deep from every booking. Significantly negatively impacted rental business. Owner's annual fee, another astronomic guest fee 6-12 % on every booking, and credit card fee. Has just a formal customer service unable to resolve anything at all. JUST AVOID THIS GREEDY ARROGANT COMPANY

Tina Macaluso

June 23rd, 2017 Dansville, NY

I have been a member of VRBO for the past 7 years with four properties. I pay $600 per property to be listed. Now as one of my properties was up for renewal I am told that it is mandatory to use their booking system. Now along with the $2400 I pay, they will also get 3% if someone uses a credit card and 8-10% additional that they tack on to the customer as a "Service Fee." The customers think that this is an added charge from the homeowner, but VRBO is charging them. I have also heard horror stories of how VRBO collects the money at booking but does not actually give the homeowner the funds until a month after the renter checks out. The amount they are getting in interest by doing this is insane. I will never renew with them. I have my own availability calendar and booking and I am not going to give them control over this. Since expedia bought them out, it has become a greedy horrible company to work with. Hopefully someone else will come around and make a similar company to what VRBO used to be in the beginning. But in the meantime, all customers should know they are paying much more by booking through VRBO!!!

J.B.

June 22nd, 2017 Suwanee, GA

#1. There IS a Service Fee charged to renters now. #2. Owners still pay even higher fees to list. #3. The website gets worse with each change. As an owner you never know if your listing will appear or be blocked. #4. Every change tries to block owners & renters from communicating directly - so that VRBO can make sure to get their unfair share of the deal while provide no real or additional service for the money.

Chelsea Stewart

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've never had any issues and I have enjoyed using the service. I sometimes feel as though it is a little shallow in the options it presents, it's a great resource!

Winston simpson

May 15th, 2017

The cabins owners 3554111 Greg Linton Over charge on the side to customer after all and keep the security's deposit for invented excuses VRBO is responsible for this Unacceptable taking advantage of customer that not live in that state

Brian Molloy

May 14th, 2017 Columbia, MO

Way to costly, customer support has a lousey attitude of treating property owners like cash cows they continue to milk dry. Now to renew they take more control over who will be booking my properties and charging me almost $500.00 per yr per property and then charge me 3% when a customer uses a credit card PLUS 15% of every booking. Due to their greed I have decided to find a reasonable partner. Why the heck should we buy the property, reconfigure, furnish it maintain it and on top of a very high cost to advertise it give them up to 18% of my income. After all of that I still have to pay the sales tax to the city and state plus the income taxes on whats left. Does anyone think this is a responsible decision to do business with these people. Its a shame because they used to be top notch and easy to do business, now just a greedy money sucking company. Not my sort of partners.

lois

May 3rd, 2017 Orlando, FL

Since Expedia purchased VRBO, the website has declined astronomically. It was bad, but now, it's terrible. I'm supposed to be positioned among 20 other townhomes in my 2 building complex. VRBO constantly moves me from that listing area, where I'm supposed to be located, and moves me miles from where I'm supposed to be located. This has cost me thousands of dollars in bookings. Last year, I failed to rent multiple weeks and discovered that I had been removed from my listing position. Of course, VRBO told me it wasn't their fault. It's Google's fault - so they tell me. They cancelled all of the people I had booked on my calendar. Suddenly, I was being contacted by potential renters, who told me that a particular week was available. Of course, those weeks were already booked, and of course, VRBO swore it wasn't their fault. Their analytics are faulty. I'm fully booked 42 weeks of the year, but according to their analytics, I'm not getting any bookings. They give top billing to my neighbors, who don't have 24 pictures, don't have many reviews, and don't offer online booking. VRBO doesn't have an explanation for that problem. Their customer service people have limited information and can't answer questions about analytics. Neither can their supervisors, who always say that the computer isn't available. I'm moving on to what I hope will be a better experience.

arlene

May 2nd, 2017 Aiea, HI

I have 5 properties with VRBO for over 10 years..., They are the WORST company i have ever had to deal with!

Neil Harper

April 24th, 2017

We have a property that we list on both AirBnb and VRBO (although we a have removed it from VRBO now ). On our first ( and last ) rental through VRBO we had a guest book for 5 nights. A couple of weeks beforehand the guest contacted us and switched it to 2 nights. No problem, I edited the reservation to change to 2 nights. Oddly the website did not recalculate the rental amount and the service fees. I searched help and forums and the best suggestion was to cancel the 2nd of 2 payments that the guest was required to pay. When the guest arrived VRBO released the payment to me less the original service fee for the 5 nights which made the total service fee charged to be 27% of the rental amount. Back and forth with customer service they acknowledged that the fees were not correct but said that they could not issue a correcting payment to me because I had not edited it properly and their "system" won't recalculate after the fact. They also sent me instructions on how to do it properly in the future. So I asked the customer service representative that if the opposite had happened and the guest had booked for say 1 day and increased their reservation to 7 days would the "system" automatically recalculate so that VRBO would get an appropriate increase in their service fee? His answer: "OF COURSE!" My conclusion: VRBO attempts to maximize their profits at the expense of customer service. Purposefully creates and allows "errors" in their "system" in their favor. When I said I would be cancelling my listing he said "maybe you should try HomeAway" !!!

John Kopp

April 6th, 2017

Buyer beware Just bad service, dishonest, and theifs. Lighthouse 309 property owner kept part of my damage deposit although there was no damage. Claimed he deserved it for credit card fees. VRBO had a 100% damage fee guarantee and written policies that the damage deposit was only for damage. They did not honor their guarantee and would not return calls or emails. They should be avoided.

regina carl

April 4th, 2017 Maryville, TN

we booked a condo for this summer and were appalled by the higher fees they are charging for the "booking fee". Really?

Joyce Lobo

April 2nd, 2017

I have started doing business with VRBO in 2006. They used to be great but once Homeaway bought them, they went down the tubes. Every time I have to phone them, it's a minimum 30 minutes on the phone which included the time you must wait to get to a live human.

Deborah Arnold

March 31st, 2017

I am a property owner, listed a unit with VBRO, HOMEAWAY.....the first of March. Half the time out of 74 units @ this complex only 37 show up. Mine being one not showing up, my reviews, reservations..... do not show @ anytime. I have had 4 other Gulf Front condo that were rented about 90% of the time. I spend hours on the phone daily (sometimes more than once a day) I have not had one single inquiry, much less a reservation. I have peak times on a 3 bedroom, 3 bath Oceanfront unit that has not rented - because of this business (businesses)

Claire Anderson

March 22nd, 2017

Could not cancel or get a refund even hours after making a booking at the wrong date and location. The "customer service" sends emails signed with first names only and no phone number. Long waits on the phone. emails saying a refund was happening and then nothing-this happened twice. They should not allow advertisers to have a no refund no cancellation policy. I was not aware this existed as all the other rentals I had arranged had a deposit. Lost $1,000 that was never returned. Will never rent from VRBO again.

Sylvie Novi

March 14th, 2017

1. VRBO fees are just horrendous- I've listed my house on VRBO and AIRBnB and it's 10% vs. 3% so for the same time period my house was rented VRBO charged my 300$ vs AirBnb's 95$. Same for the Travelers/guests- AIRBnb charges 3 x less! 2. VRBO's calculations that I get as the owner are so convoluted and confusing and nothing adds up, that I am sure it is done on purpose to confuse owners, as you would have to call VRBO every time to have it explained to you. I'm sure they want the fees to appear very 'professional' with many fancy words that actually mean nothing, it's a way to justify outrageous charges! 3. LACK OF SECURITY FOR OWNERS- the number FAKE requests and scam requests I get from the VRBO website (mainly from UK) is around 60-70% of all requests!! VRBO can implement a very simple procedure to verify the guests but they will not- I actually asked them about it as you have to waste time investigating the guests yourself all the time, and VRBO replied " We just want your business(money), we are not here to protect you, you have to do that yourself' ! I actually have this in writing when they emailed me back!! (AirBnb has a very simple method- phone # verification by the system, and a VISIBLE to owner guest's profile with a picture and any previous reviews, and a short bio. Works like a charm) ***I HAVE NEVER gotten even 1 fake request from AirBnb, but about 25 from VRBO in this past year! **** I have a couple of guests booked from VRBO for this year (80 % of guests are coming from AirBnb anyway) so after that i will be cancelling my account with them. I hope their abhorrent business practices will be their demise. If you want a great experience as a Host or Traveler/Guest- use AirBnb! Fantastic, friendly and inexpensive. I can see why they took over the market so fast. VRBO is just a greedy, hungry business. Sylvie, Canada