Tom Gilmore founded VacationHomeRentals.com in 2004 with the idea to provide renters with the perfect platform to find memorable vacation homes. More than 9 million travellers traffic the site each year to book their vacations. VacationHomeRentals.com is a great place to search for anything from romantic getaways to family trips. They represent more than 13,000 properties in 89 different countries. Each advertised rental home on Vacation Home Rentals is privately owned and managed; Vacation Home Rentals is simply a listing site for each individual property owner.

Airbnb chevron_right
2.8
VRBO chevron_right
1.1
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Tripz.com chevron_right

The Good

• Happy Rental Guarantee
  • Family company
  • Easy to pinpoint a location

Vacation Home Rentals is simply a listing website for private homeowners who are renting vacation homes. However, Vacation Home Rentals has gone the extra mile by offering a Happy Rental Guarantee. This guarantee can be purchased with your rented vacation home and it protects you up to $10,000. This way Vacation Home Rentals can refund you if your rented home is not exactly what as advertised or if you were double booked. Here are a few other features:

• No booking fee - extra costs at the time of reservation will not be charged
  • Unbiased guest reviews - verified guest feedback can hep eliminate questions or concerns
  • Variety of locations - worldwide properties available
  • Best price promise - this guarantee will ensure reasonable rates
  • Over 70,000 booking options - listing all available online
  • Easy search website - sorting tool makes research process easy
  • Locations worldwide - search available destinations
  • Advice blog - receive helpful advice and tips when traveling
  • Insurance options - protect your vacation with travel insurance

Vacation Home Rentals is a family company that is focused on trustworthy and affordable locations. Since they allow you to communicate directly with the owner, you know you are getting the lowest price possible for your vacation lodging.

When selecting a destination, VacationHomeRentals.com makes it easy to pinpoint a specific location. With their interactive map, users can search over 100,000 rental s just in the U.S. alone. This listings can vary from vacation homes to condos to cabins in more remote areas. This interactive map applies to other countries where VacationHomeRentals.com can be found as well.

The Bad

• Have to purchase guarantee
  • No mobile app
  • Limitations of renting abroad

Vacation Home Rentals does provide a "Happy Renter Guarantee" but you have to purchase it. Unfortunately, there are no free security options for renters with Vacation Home Rentals. All of the rental properties are unverified and there is absolutely no protection from a fraudulent advertisement without paying for a Happy Renter Guarantee. Additionally, the Happy Renter Guarantee does not cover cancellation insurance, which must be purchased separately. Here are a few things Vacation Home Rentals can improve:

• No mobile app - not all vacation rentals provide this right now, but there is a trend where they are becoming available
  • No customer service - when issues arise it can be difficult to resolve them
  • No cancellation options - travelers can stuck paying for reservations they do not use
  • No property verification - there is an element of security that is missing

Additionally, some of the renters do not accept US currency or do not speak English. This information should be posted on the advertisement so be aware of these limitations if you are renting abroad. There are tools available to help with communication barriers, but they are not set up in a way that is convenient for the traveler.

The Bottom Line

Vacation Home Rentals is as a good place to rent your next vacation home. Although there is no verification process, if you participate in the Happy Renter Guarantee you can make sure you have a positive renting experience. Plus, Happy Renter Guarantee has excellent customer ratings and low prices that just can't be beaten. Those that use Vacation Home Rentals can expect the following from the service:

1. Multiple destinations
  2. No mobile app
  3. Unclear cancellation policy
  4. No service fee
  5. Helpful tips

1.0

Joanna
September 29th, 2017 Lititz, PA

Never again !! We booked our vacation, they took the money for rental so just they could cancell a couple weeks later, demanding higher price (twice!). Not responsive at all. Not worth dealing with them!

Lynn McCay
December 5th, 2016

VacationHomeRentals.com is a rip off for home owners. Bait and switch. I was sent an amended agreement in the middle of my subscription and refused to sign it so they locked me out of my account with 6 months still paid on it. I tried to call but could not get anyone to help me. Always got someone in India, Philippines, etc. When I subscribed I got a representative in the United States but can no longer get a US based person. Home owners need to run from this site. I suggest VRBO where at least you get a person who speaks English that can and will fix your issue. Also with VRBO.com I get 50 to every 1 inquiry I did on this site and much better renters.

Margaret Chiffriller
November 11th, 2016

I rented an apartment from them in New York City for which I paid in full. When I arrived, we were told that there was no such apartment in the doorman building. In more than a decade of renting and making my home available to vacation renters, this is the only fraud I ever encountered. There was no customer service to assist with the problem. I won't rent from them again and won't list my property with them either.

Kelsey Haynes
October 26th, 2016 Morganton, NC

This site is terrible. They charge an huge yearly fee and offer almost no support. Maybe a total of 15 inquiries in a year and none of them booked. The real stickler is there is no was to cancel your listing and they keep auto renewing and will not give you a refund no matter what. Be sure to use a prepaid credit card if you do use this site. UGGH

Mary
July 27th, 2016 Climax, NC

I have used this website before to list our condo for rent in the North Myrtle Beach, SC area. I may have gotten 2 bookings in a 2-3 year span. It is a really nice condo. Not worth your time listing on this site.

Kathleen Travnikoff
April 6th, 2016 Carmichael, CA

No way to call - so therefore, no service. I am an owner.

John Bearce
February 25th, 2016 Monomoy Island, MA

My problem with vacationhomerentals.com is that do not provide a phone number for customer service you have to email them by filling out their contact form and then you might get a response in 3-4 days if you are lucky. If I was looking for a place to rent I would be very worried about using a site that is this user unfriendly. I am writing this as an owner of a property listed on vacationhomerentals.com