Airbnb Logo
Airbnb was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in San Fransisco. Airbnb has lodging available in over 34,000 cities and 190 countries. Airbnb is unique in the fact that it offers vacation homes as well as the ability to rent out simply a private or a shared bedroom in someone’s home. AirBed & Breakfast was originally created for a unique business networking opportunity for those who were unable to book a hotel in an oversaturated market. The founders started by creating a bed and breakfast in their San Francisco apartment because they could not afford the rent. They would accommodate three guests in their living room on air mattresses and provide them a homemade breakfast. It started as a simple idea, but now their website includes so much more. Not only can people book a shared room, but also they can book their own private rooms or choose to rent out an entire private home.

The Good

• Great options
  • Easy to use
  • Mobile app
Traditional vacation booking sites try to get users to book as many accommodations on their site as possible. In this attempt, several travel sites provide the exact same services without providing anything unique to the traveler. Fortunately, there are platforms like Airbnb that make up the difference. Rather than spreading efforts thin to obtain as many reservations as possible, Airbnb solely focuses on their accommodation booking service. Airbnb has a variety of options for vacation homes. Airbnb has over one million listed vacation rental spots so you know you can find a place in your desired location. Here is how you know:
  • Over 1.5 million listings
  • Lodging in over 34,000 cities
  • Available in 190 countries
  • Over 1,400 rentals in castles
  • Convenient search options to find your perfect place
Airbnb makes it easy to find your vacation location by giving easy search features. These features include searching by price range, room type, amenities, property types and verified hosts. Keep in mind, some hosts are not verified so look for lodging that has a super host badge, which indicates that the vacation rental is verified. Additionally, Airbnb is a great place to find the cheapest pricing. Since you can rent an entire house or just one single room, you are guaranteed to find a cheap rental if you are okay with renting out just a single room. Airbnb also includes features such as reviews from previous tenants, pictures of the host, and customer guarantees. Airbnb is also focused on convenience. They offer quite a few options so can have the best experience while booking your vacation rental. These features include:
  • A mobile app for easy booking on the go (compatible with iOS and Android)
  • Instant booking features once you have an account
  • Popularity information such as "This place is typically completely booked"
Most importantly, Airbnb has a great 24 hour customer service line that is there to support you if you have any issues with your vacation rental. Airbnb also withholds the payment of hosts until 24 hours after check-in this means your vacation rental is a secure investment. Airbnb will refund you if you have any issues with your rental such as appearance, overlapped bookings, amenities, or if you are unable to access your vacation rental.

The Bad

• Additional fees
  • Time consuming
  • Varied cancellation policies
Airbnb goes out of its way to make sure each guest has a positive experience while booking his or her vacation rental. However, these guarantees are costly and in order to pay for that service Airbnb charges an additional 6-12% fee for each booking. Depending upon the price of your rental, a 12% booking fee could significantly change your cost. This is especially a problem if you are booking a high-cost luxury rental. Since Airbnb has millions of properties for travelers to choose from, finding the right accommodation can take some time. To minimize the research process, Airbnb instituted a sorting tool. This feature allows users to filter based on the following criteria:
  1. Pricing (range or low to high, high to low)
  2. Guest star rating - based on what real customers have experienced
  3. Amenities - what is included in the property
  4. Proximity - distance to landmarks or airports
  5. Type - accommodation type whether it is condo, apartment, house, etc.
Additionally, cancellation policies are decided directly by the host. Airbnb does not have a policy to assist travellers with last minute cancellations and the host chooses the terms of each cancellation. This means travellers should be cautious of cancellation policies when booking, make sure to make a note of the deadline for a full refund. Keep in mind that if you are booking within a month or two of check-in you might not be able to cancel your reservation at all.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Airbnb to any traveler as a great resource for low cost and convenient housing. Many of the posted vacation rentals have more amenities than a hotel, and for a much better price. Even though Airbnb has additional booking fees, their service makes it worth it. You know your vacation rental is going to be a good one. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:
  1. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  2. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  3. See the world - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  4. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere
  5. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options

3.7

Adam Labrum ,

Airbnb makes it easy for someone to find a place to stay while traveling with friends and family without having to buy an expensive hotel. It’s usually a lot cheaper and more homey.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

I have always loved using Airbnb! I always stay in places that give me wonderful new experiences! I love that it’s run by real people. Everywhere that I’ve stayed has been clean and impressive! You can stay in the most homey location or one a bit more adventurous! My husband and I used it for our honeymoon and were not disappointed!

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Fantastic way to find nice places to sleep whether on a road trip or overseas adventure! Hosts have been really great at maintaining safe and clean spaces for their Guests. Rented a vacation home for a month for my honeymoon and we had a fantastic time.

Daniel Snow Redmond, WA

Airbnb is an awesome platform. I have used it very frequently in the last 7 years to book travel for work and personal trips. Love the variety of places I have access to, and the upfront clarity of cost that is absent at most hotel chains.

AshMan17 Riverton, UT

We have used Airbnb multiple times and it has always worked outstandingly. The location owners have been super helpful and informative and the rental units have been clean, well kept, and a treat to stay in.

Danny Bowen Eagle Mountain, UT

Airbnb is a very interesting place to be, and it offers plenty of opportunities to stay beside the hotels any day of the week. I have enjoyed using Airbnb for my travels and I will continue to do so. My wife and I have met some very great people using this site and have really enjoyed the places that we have stayed.

austin pliler Layton, UT

My wife and I travel a lot and we often use Airbnb. It’s really easy to choose the location and budget. I also like that I can customize my experience with bed size, air conditioning, kitchen accessories, etc.

Mike Salt Lake City, UT

I've had a few bad experiences but the good far outweigh the bad. It's such great tool for international travel on a budget or with bigger groups. I'll be using them for life.

Scott A. Johnson Orem, UT

Airbnb is my go-to website to find a home or condo to rent while on vacation. The site shares good details and images of the rental properties including reviews by users. The site is easy to search and the maps of where the property is located is helpful.

Wayne Young Little Rock, AR

Airbnb always does a good job giving you a good expectation of what to expect from the home where you will stay. They are thorough and accurate. It is also a easy process to book and pay. Highly recommend if you need a house to stay at short term.

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Airbnb provides me with excellent selections that always exceeded my expectations. I have used Airbnb in many states including: Florida, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado and Missouri. Each time I have arrived, the Airbnb has been very clean and in great condition. I will continue to use this platform, as it has always served me well.

Eliza Jane Arledge Smithfield, UT

Airbnb is always my go to for a trip, especially for large groups. Airbnb is such a great way to stay connected with every one in you group unlike you would be able to in hotel rooms where everyone is split up. Airbnb does a great job making it easy to contact the owner of the house you are staying in and always has clean affordable homes that fit your needs. My experience with Airbnb has been nothing but good things.

Larson Riverton, UT

Airbnb has been a fantastic option for my family when traveling. Reserving an entire home, rather than staying in hotels while on vacation, is the best choice for our family of seven. We love having room to spread out, and having all the comforts of home. A full kitchen is excellent and saves us from spending a ton at restaurants. The hosts we have stayed with have been extremely kind and welcoming.

Natalie Drewery ,

Love what Airbnb has done for the travel world. We have had more intimate and amazing travel experiences because of the places we've been able to find through Airbnb. I definitely prefer booking with an Airbnb location to a hotel because it gives me the sense of actually living in the location instead of just being a tourist. It's a great way to help decide if I could make the jump and move to the place we are visiting.

Philip Ray Los Angeles, CA

Used in '14 Lake Tahoe. Had good fortune relative left me money in will and we wanted to take our adult kids 2 and wives and 2 teens ultimate family vacation. Tahoe was chosen as we could drive from So Cal and no air fair . We chosenLake Tahoe as We could kayak and skin dive in clear cold water and do adult activities gaming at Harrahs Harveys Mont Blu casinos. Tahoe kid friendly with arcade in Harveys. The large chalet with wifi and high end stainless Stella appliances and pool table foose ball and 3 TV s . It was Challet David you can check out airbnb . The communication seem less and we could email or call owner nice man Bay Area . This wasn't the cheapest rental but suited our needs and my wife who uses walker and somewhat handicapped. We will use in Hawaii on family trip to celebrate my grandson graduating High School. Your money's safe and very easy to take over property and check out .

Jo S.P. Niagara Falls, NY

Hotels will be my last option from now on! The personal and positive experiences my husband and I have had (both hosting guests and staying as guests) have far surpassed even the most expensive and best hotel stay! As a host, I enjoy Airbnb "bringing the world to us." On any given week, we could host guests from Dubai one day, Bogata the next, Nepal the next, and Gary, Indiana the next. The cities/ countries are continually changing. I haven't had the opportunity to do much traveling overseas,so it's exciting to be able to sit with guests and listen to stories about their homeland from their perspective, not that of the media. We also have the opportunity to share the " best kept local secrets" with our guests. As a traveller, meeting other hosts and experiencing the wonderful travel tips they have to offer has been equally gratifying. Travelers should expect that staying in someone's home WILL BE very different than staying in a hotel. You are being invited into the host's home and therefore, you should do your homework prior to requesting a reservation. Things you should look for: house rules, the host's profile, reviews from past guests (I even went as far as sending an email to one of the previous guest's to ask a specific question and was SUPER glad I did!), check in and out times, and cancellation policy (which is at the sole discretion of the host, not Airbnb). As a host, I do the same thing. I ask a lot of questions such as: What are you coming into town for? Who will be traveling with you? What are your expectations for your stay (ie. Are you looking for total quiet, a party in our yard, lots of hiking trails, a place to gather with family)? The more I ask prior to accepting guests, the less surprises I expect. And just a note about cancellations from a host's perspective.....if I block out our apartment for you three months out, and you decide to cancel two days before, there's a good chance I will not be able to re-book the apartment and would be out a fair amount of money. There is a good chance I would have been able to get other bookings during the three months the dates were blocked. On the other hand, if you have a real emergency, I will work with you. All that being said, my husband and I just booked a cross country trip staying at 13 different Airbnb rentals along the way and we are looking forward to meeting our hosts, as much as we are to seeing the sites! Happy traveling!

Gail W Armand Hilo, HI

I am a host and a guest. As a guest, the places I have stayed at have all been nicer than any hotel or resort in the same price range. The hosts have been friendly and helpful. It is possible to have ongoing dialogue with hosts before you go somewhere you have never been, and gain a better sense of how you would like to spend your time there. As a host, my goal is to offer our guests the best vacation experience they have ever had. Due to the nature of our guest house, most who stay are couples on their honeymoon. Their happiness is our happiness. Airbnb provides a platform where what we offer can be showcased, by reviews and through the wishlists our unique spot appears upon. It is closer to word-of-mouth than advertising. In the time I have been listed with Airbnb, there has been one guest who was opportunistic in his dealings with us and when he left, stole things from our house. Airbnb extended payment to me from their end for the items taken. Due to their culture of responsibility, this particular guest is unlikely to worm his way into another person's home and leave with their art pieces. Other vacation rental sites do not screen out anyone - it is strictly up to the host to make a decision. It is pretty hard to spot a thief from a rental request. No site is perfect. Any business with the volume of AIrbnb is going to have some people who cannot be made happy, and some people who are out to cause trouble any way they can. The review by Dave on this site seems unhelpful because Airbnb collects money from the guest and does not release it until the day after check in. So how does one get screwed out of $5000?

Christi Gilbert Gettysburg, PA

They are the best value for your money with lots of pictures and specific lists of amenities so you know what to expect and you can plan accordingly.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I love using Airbnb for looking for housing whenever we want a "at home" feel when we are traveling! Fantastic accommodations in New Zealand and throughout North America!

Kellie Payne Pickerington, OH

Great company to book through if you don’t want the typical travel experience! Vast options in places all over the world in the roads both more and less traveled

Sarah Sandy, UT

We had booked three places with Airbnb before Covid hit and was able to get a full refund for all three places. We felt such peace knowing we weren’t forced to go on vacation during covid to get our moneys worth. We will be using Airbnb in the future for sure. They care about their customers and we were treated very well.

David Martin San Diego, CA

Airbnb is my favorite vacation rental service. I have used to rent vacation homes in San Diego, Puerto Rico, and more. I have never been disappointed. I will always turn to Airbnb before any other vacation rental service as it just feels more personal than the others. I am a highly satisfied customer.

edward reese Hyattsville, MD

This has truly changed how i travel. No matter what city or country i travel to, i'm always including AirBnB in my search. I have had great experiences as a customer and looking forward to hosting folks myself at my house someday. Site is easy to use and reviews are helpful. customer service is quick to respond to problems so you feel like you can always ask questions.

Natalia Podolsky San Diego, CA

Customer Service Went Above and Beyond My experience with customer service was above and beyond what I could have ever expected. I had to reach out about a cancellation due to an emergency and I was treated with kindness, respect, and empathy. Bryan S. and Kathy S. made a not so great experience better. I wish I knew their full names so I could give them proper credit! Airbnb, you have amazing employees on your customer service team. Thank you,

Jay Keller, TX

I have used Airbnb twice, both in NYC. The first time was a bad experience. My contact person was rude and dismissive, the apartment looked great in the photos but was rundown and subpar in person. The bathroom was rundown and the owners soap and shampoo bottles littered the shower. The bedroom window wouldn't close (it was August!) and the stove didn't work. Also, I was instructed to leave my key at the laundry around the corner when I left but I had to leave early in the morning before the laundry opened so I had no choice but to leave the key on the kitchen counter. I emailed the owner to inform him and received a response three weeks later telling me that was a bad decision and the apartment could have been robbed. All around, a BAD experience. The second stay was the complete opposite! Great communication from the owners, the apartment was spotless, the kitchen and bathroom were fantastic and in working order, the bed was very comfortable and the window unit worked beautifully. I will give Airbnb another chance but I hope my first experience isn't typical.

Ryan Pleasant Grove, UT

My wife and I used AirBnb when we visited Europe in May. Thanks to AirBnb we had the opportunity to stay with Europeans throughout Europe. We were able to live like locals. We also saved tons of money because we were able to cook in the homes. We were also surprised to find that each place was significantly cheaper than a hotel. Each of our hosts were very nice and helpful. Our host in Paris even took us to the metro station nearby to show us how everything works. Very kind! We highly recommend AirBnb to anyone looking to save money and live like locals!

SR Redmond, OR

We are Airbnb hosts in Bend, Oregon. We offer 4 short-term rentals exclusively though Airbnb. We have tried other rental portals and Airbnb is by far the best for a number of reasons. One of the most important aspects of Airbnb is the verification of guests and hosts. We pretty much know who our guests are and why they are visiting. That's ultimately very important to us. Also, guests can see who we are. Other portals like VRBO do not have the same level of trust and we often got scammer inquiries. That does not happen with Airbnb or at least never has with us. We host between 200 - 250 guest booking per year and have never been scammed. Airbnb also really promotes reviews. Both from guests and hosts. We maintain a 5 Star rating from 80% to 95% of our guests and the remainder are 4 star. I would say that we leave 5 star reviews for 99% of our guests. Communication between guests and hosts is also highly encouraged and the vast majority of times will avert any issues or misunderstandings. We have never travelled through Airbnb so we don't have any personal experience in that regard. But the guests we have talked to really like the Airbnb experience as compared to other rental portals. So from a host perspective we give Airbnb very high marks. They are not perfect in every way but they are the best at what they do and continue to listen to both guests and hosts on ways to improve. Thanks for reading this review.

Sydney Proctor Oakland, CA

I am a superhost, and have been hosting guests since 2012. Airbnb has always been responsive and supportive. The only thing I would like to see them add is a hotel tax widget so the 11% room tax in Santa Cruz could be tracked and summarized at summer's end. It would make it easier for me to pay the city. My guests have all been fantastic! I have encountered great hosts and properties allong the way as I have traveled. Great company, great vallue!

Robin Whitburn Lady Lake, FL

I have loved being an airbnb host (2 properties) and guest since 2012. With about 50+ hostings with the company, I have never had a bad experience. I have only stayed as a guest a couple of times but it is now my preferred way to travel! Airbnb makes the process easy and streamlined. By being able to see all the reviews for either hosts or guests, I feel a very good level of trust and comfort with each booking that I agree to. I love airbnb!

Kelley Albuquerque, NM

We used them in two different cities....Boston and NYC on vacation this summer and they both were great experiences. I was nervous but I think doing enough research was why we had great experience. I communicated with them before booking to getting a feel. I wouldn't stay with someone that had less than 20 reviews good or bad and lastly stay with someone who has all their verifications completed. We will use again I'm sure but again I know not everyone is the same. I loved this site....

Peggy Abby Federal Way, WA

I have been using AirBnB for over 2 years with nothing but positive experiences. I traveled through Europe last year for 3 months very nicley with only using them. Now I rent my home and have had the nicest people as guests. I just used htem for staying in Portalnd this last week successfully too! The staff has been very responsive and helpful the few times I have needed them. I couldn't be more pleased.

Kendle Cole Portland, OR

I had a issue with a host and my hand was twisted to cancel due to not trusting the host, and the host trying to get additional money out of me. I reached out to air bnb after my refund of $20 out of $135 was stated. Air Bnb helped me get the whole refund as well as are looking into assisting me with my new reservations that I had to book. (FYI my reservation was cancelled 4 days before My wedding and this was my Get ready place)

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Terrific company and great concept. Love using the simple service with great home selection. Love it!

Trent Ewing Milwaukee, WI

Great and easy way to look for properties to stay in while vacationing! I have used to it book places for just my wife and I, and for larger events like family reunions!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

The thing I like most about Airbnb is the chance you get to "feel local" as you stay in a neighborhood, community, a home! It is much more home-y than a hotel room.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Can be a source to find a fun vacation destination, but fees pile up way too much. Refund policy usually favors the host, unfortunately. Service fees only return as site credit. Usually not the cheapest option.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I absolutely LOVE using AirBnB. There are so many cool and unique places to stay. This is the way to get a once in a life time experience where ever you go.

Devin Fayetteville, AR

Airbnb is very reliable and much less expensive then staying in hotels constantly. Went to Italy this summer and stayed in Airbnbs in every city we went to.

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

Airbnb is the into way I book stays when I travel. I love being able to find a location that is central to areas that are not always considered touristy. I think it helps me to get a real sense of the city and the culture.

Mindy Smith Smithfield, UT

We have used air bnb for a few different trips. The most recent trip we scheduled was for May 2020 for a house to have all of us attend a graduation. The graduation was canceled due to Covid and we recieved a full refund thankfully.

Mallory Evans Provo, UT

My family uses Airbnb to rent out a property we own, and it is a great way to find people looking for a place to stay. It's organized and the layout allows for the information to be laid out in an organized matter.

Morgan whiting Salt Lake City, UT

Had an awesome experience. We wanted to stay on the beach in California. We could play and our baby could nap. We were close enough that the baby monitor was still in range. Will definitely use again.

Tagg Ogden, UT

With hotels getting more expensive, Airbnb is awesome. I can always find a great place to stay for my vacations and it is super easy to put my rental property on there and generate good income.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We used Airbnb for a recent family vacation. Airbnb helped us accommodate our large group, find a house with a pool and large family area in the perfect location. We appreciated Airbnb's assistance and ease of finding a vacation home. We would use Airbnb again but felt that Airbnb fees were excessive.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Airbnb has offered us some great vacation properties for rent. They are safe to use, offer great communication to property owners and have easy to understand contracts. Any issues have always been handled easily by Airbnb. Highly recommended service.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Airbnb has changed the way that I search for places to stay on vacation. Many times, you’re able to stay and a nice, spacious home for the cost of a high quality hotel. Anytime I go on vacation, I am always checking Airbnb to find the best place to stay

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

Arg, it's hard to give Airbnb 3 out of 5 stars. We've had so many great trips on a tight budget thanks to the rentals Airbnb lists. However, you can't get around the fact that it is almost impossible to find the customer service number on the website. That says a lot! And unfortunately, once you get in touch with them, they are entirely useless. We recently had a trip where we had two different communications with the customer service department and in both instances, despite dozens of assurances that they would "get back to us by such-and-such a time," we wouldn't hear back from them for days. They never solved our issues. They legitimately do not care about the customers. The concept of Airbnb rocks, but everything else kinda stinks.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Airbnb is freaking incredible. I have used it on several occasions. It's so awesome! Way more affordable than hotels, especially in touristy areas, and it's a unique experience. I seriously use it all the time and will most likely continue to use it when I travel!

Sam Winster Rutherford, NJ

I understand that AirBNB has a higher rate to pay because they want to ensure that everyone has a great stay, but I don't mind that. I've stayed in some really crappy places before and I don't mind paying a bit more to make sure that I have a great experience. I never had any problems with them and the places that I have stayed in, have been great. I've traveled all over with them I will continue to do so. Plus, they are there in a pinch too. I would recommend AirBNB to anyone looking for a place to stay that's not an expensive hotel.

Paola Ramirez Dallas, TX

I used Airbnb in 4 different countries in Europe. My second host was an hour late to my arrival, I called Airbnb and they made me feel safe and assured me if my host did not show up in the next hour they were going to get me another place to stay. My fourth host tottaly lied about her place, it was filthy and scary, of course I did not stayed there, after my arrival back home, Airbnb refunded me for the unpleasant and dirty place. I will recommended 100%. Safe and great customer service. A+