Airbnb was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in San Fransisco. Airbnb has lodging available in over 34,000 cities and 190 countries. Airbnb is unique in the fact that it offers vacation homes as well as the ability to rent out simply a private or a shared bedroom in someone’s home. AirBed & Breakfast was originally created for a unique business networking opportunity for those who were unable to book a hotel in an oversaturated market. The founders started by creating a bed and breakfast in their San Francisco apartment because they could not afford the rent. They would accommodate three guests in their living room on air mattresses and provide them a homemade breakfast. It started as a simple idea, but now their website includes so much more. Not only can people book a shared room, but also they can book their own private rooms or choose to rent out an entire private home.

VRBO chevron_right
1.1
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Tripz.com chevron_right

The Good

• Great options
  • Easy to use
  • Mobile app

Traditional vacation booking sites try to get users to book as many accommodations on their site as possible. In this attempt, several travel sites provide the exact same services without providing anything unique to the traveler. Fortunately, there are platforms like Airbnb that make up the difference. Rather than spreading efforts thin to obtain as many reservations as possible, Airbnb solely focuses on their accommodation booking service.

Airbnb has a variety of options for vacation homes. Airbnb has over one million listed vacation rental spots so you know you can find a place in your desired location. Here is how you know:

• Over 1.5 million listings
  • Lodging in over 34,000 cities
  • Available in 190 countries
  • Over 1,400 rentals in castles
  • Convenient search options to find your perfect place

Airbnb makes it easy to find your vacation location by giving easy search features. These features include searching by price range, room type, amenities, property types and verified hosts. Keep in mind, some hosts are not verified so look for lodging that has a super host badge, which indicates that the vacation rental is verified.

Additionally, Airbnb is a great place to find the cheapest pricing. Since you can rent an entire house or just one single room, you are guaranteed to find a cheap rental if you are okay with renting out just a single room. Airbnb also includes features such as reviews from previous tenants, pictures of the host, and customer guarantees.

Airbnb is also focused on convenience. They offer quite a few options so can have the best experience while booking your vacation rental. These features include:

• A mobile app for easy booking on the go (compatible with iOS and Android)
  • Instant booking features once you have an account
  • Popularity information such as "This place is typically completely booked"

Most importantly, Airbnb has a great 24 hour customer service line that is there to support you if you have any issues with your vacation rental. Airbnb also withholds the payment of hosts until 24 hours after check-in this means your vacation rental is a secure investment. Airbnb will refund you if you have any issues with your rental such as appearance, overlapped bookings, amenities, or if you are unable to access your vacation rental.

The Bad

• Additional fees
  • Time consuming
  • Varied cancellation policies

Airbnb goes out of its way to make sure each guest has a positive experience while booking his or her vacation rental. However, these guarantees are costly and in order to pay for that service Airbnb charges an additional 6-12% fee for each booking. Depending upon the price of your rental, a 12% booking fee could significantly change your cost. This is especially a problem if you are booking a high-cost luxury rental.

Since Airbnb has millions of properties for travelers to choose from, finding the right accommodation can take some time. To minimize the research process, Airbnb instituted a sorting tool. This feature allows users to filter based on the following criteria:

1. Pricing (range or low to high, high to low)
  2. Guest star rating - based on what real customers have experienced
  3. Amenities - what is included in the property
  4. Proximity - distance to landmarks or airports
  5. Type - accommodation type whether it is condo, apartment, house, etc.

Additionally, cancellation policies are decided directly by the host. Airbnb does not have a policy to assist travellers with last minute cancellations and the host chooses the terms of each cancellation. This means travellers should be cautious of cancellation policies when booking, make sure to make a note of the deadline for a full refund. Keep in mind that if you are booking within a month or two of check-in you might not be able to cancel your reservation at all.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Airbnb to any traveler as a great resource for low cost and convenient housing. Many of the posted vacation rentals have more amenities than a hotel, and for a much better price. Even though Airbnb has additional booking fees, their service makes it worth it. You know your vacation rental is going to be a good one. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  2. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  3. See the world - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  4. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere
  5. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options

2.8

Jean O'Toole
March 19th, 2019 Cottonwood, AZ DETAILS

As a host, I find that Airbnb is taking more and more time to pay my fees--now running about 3-4 days after the guest is already living in my home. Yet, they make guests pay in advance for their bookings, even if it's 6 months in advance. So, Airbnb is holding all this money worldwide, making huge amounts on interest from their advanced fees. I also found that Airbnb's $1M coverage is nothing but a sham. I had a couple and their adult daughters cause about $5K+ in damages, but Airbnb's insurance arm is the worst insurer I've ever dealt with. They only paid about $1500, saying most things were due to "wear and tear", even a broken chair and torn upholstery on a chair. Unbelievable! Their insurers' lack of customer service was disconcerting too. As an Airbnb guest, I find their fees to be excessive considering the fact they don't really do much but provide a platform for rental searches.

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Airbnb has changed the way that I search for places to stay on vacation. Many times, you’re able to stay and a nice, spacious home for the cost of a high quality hotel. Anytime I go on vacation, I am always checking Airbnb to find the best place to stay

edward reese
December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

This has truly changed how i travel. No matter what city or country i travel to, i'm always including AirBnB in my search. I have had great experiences as a customer and looking forward to hosting folks myself at my house someday. Site is easy to use and reviews are helpful. customer service is quick to respond to problems so you feel like you can always ask questions.

Isabelle Hong
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Airbnb provides quality lodging for relatively cheap rates. I have used airbnb many times and it has been a great experience each time. Airbnb makes you feel at home even when you're on the other side of the world.

Thomas Hullinger
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Airbnb for my own trips and trips with the family. I love the selection and the information and pictures that can give me a real life picture of what it will be like. I like the individual owners too, they help one to get a better background on each location.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love using this instead of staying at a hotel. I usually get way more space for the money, and you even sometimes find an amazing deal on a sweet place

Sadie Scoville
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I always love staying in an Airbnb versus a hotel – it’s fun seeing different houses and meeting new people

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT

Site is extremely easy to navigate. I have yet to do book my first experience, but have been close many times!

Lynette Fowler
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

This is the company I look to first when I am going on vacation and need a room to stay with my big family. I can find great deals on a home and pay much less than it would cost to stay in a hotel. Every place I have stayed has been clean and the owners have been friendly and helpful.

H Moore
May 29th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Airbnb is easy to use and a great way to find vacation rentals. We've used it more than once and will continue doing so.

Patrick
December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

This company is so cheap and reliable. It is good quality places that are really affordable. All my hosts have been really nice. All my experiences were great. I highly recommend it.

Hannah
December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Arg, it's hard to give Airbnb 3 out of 5 stars. We've had so many great trips on a tight budget thanks to the rentals Airbnb lists. However, you can't get around the fact that it is almost impossible to find the customer service number on the website. That says a lot! And unfortunately, once you get in touch with them, they are entirely useless. We recently had a trip where we had two different communications with the customer service department and in both instances, despite dozens of assurances that they would "get back to us by such-and-such a time," we wouldn't hear back from them for days. They never solved our issues. They legitimately do not care about the customers. The concept of Airbnb rocks, but everything else kinda stinks.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

Airbnb is freaking incredible. I have used it on several occasions. It's so awesome! Way more affordable than hotels, especially in touristy areas, and it's a unique experience. I seriously use it all the time and will most likely continue to use it when I travel!

Natalia Podolsky
October 6th, 2017 San Diego, CA

Customer Service Went Above and Beyond My experience with customer service was above and beyond what I could have ever expected. I had to reach out about a cancellation due to an emergency and I was treated with kindness, respect, and empathy. Bryan S. and Kathy S. made a not so great experience better. I wish I knew their full names so I could give them proper credit! Airbnb, you have amazing employees on your customer service team. Thank you,

Kennard Johnsonhot
September 25th, 2017

Airbnb has the worst customer service from a host perspective I've ever encountered it's all about them I would strongly discourage anyone from becoming an Airbnb host

Jo Stephenson
September 14th, 2017 Antioch, TN

Where to start? Four hours and sixteen minutes on the phone to Air BnB customer service (officially logged in my phone), multiple emails back and forth (also officially logged), multiple tickets issued and three different case managers assigned (all for one issue that should never have become so complex), walking away having lost money as the paying customer buying the lifestyle Air BnB sold me... and at the end of all that, no solution! My accommodation was canceled on me last minute and that's what I get. To top it off, no way to escalate the issue to a higher level. Hands tied. I'm also an Air BnB Super Host with a 5 star rating. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but issues with this company as both host and guest. Looking to divorce this company ASAP. Terrible business practices, heavily reliant on a computer system that is ridden with bugs. To top it off, incompetent staff who are unable to operate the bug ridden system and prefer to take the easy road, get you off the phone as quickly as possible. Of course, there's the exception of a few kind souls who try to clean up the mistakes of their comrades, but still fail (I suspect their hands are tied too). Company is an internal shambles. CEO clearly doesn't care much for the longevity of this business. I would steer clear!

Bushra Syed
September 11th, 2017

Apartment Bed and sofas were very uncomfortable .. couldn't sleep at night all week . There was no bath roll and water for guest . We paid almost 2200 for week and service was so poor . We were Charged 240 per night from Aug -9 and he changed date to Aug -10 for check in after booking was confirmed ... we did not receive our money back for one night .amd rate wa changed automattically to 287?? Location was listed 80-Absolute condo in receipt and we were checked in Different location , which was defiantly not 240 per night building ... Please do assure to arrange proper bedding and things for guest when you charge this much .we paid 2200 dollar for this poor service ... Such a terrible service I would never use this service ever again

Nicole Fitzgerald
September 1st, 2017 Denver, CO

The Cancellation Policy's of VRBO and what it notated online are not accurate. I booked and Cancelled within 12 hrs (over two months in advance) of each other and the "Full Refund" unto 7 days was not refunded because they said the Cancellation Policy Changed. I have a screenshot of the policy at time of booking and disputed have yet to receive any response from either the Host or Airbnb other than both indicating I must address with the other. The Airbnb customer service line is hard to locate and once you wait on hold for 10minutes, they direct you to another team or the website. Once I challenged the site on it's accuracy they updated the policy and never admitted to any wrong doing.

S Brown
July 21st, 2017 San Antonio, TX

Terrible for hosts. Does not have a way to enter local taxes, so we have to eat the cost and pay for it ourselves. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE CONTACT TO BE FOUND ON THEIR WEBSITE. I had to find a phone number on a website called "airbnbhell.com", because they do not want to talk to their customers. Very poor resolution of issues even when you do talk to them. No way to get renters to sign a rental agreement through their site/app. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EXPERIENCED - I never thought I would feel this way, but VRBO is MUCH better.

Stacey
July 13th, 2017 Orlando, FL

I wanted to speak with the home owner and could not. Plus they wanted to add on additional fees. I will never try to use their service again.

Private Lender
July 5th, 2017 Sylvania, GA

Airbnb does NOTHING for the commissions they charge and EVERYTHING to ensure their ratings do NOT reflect the true picture regarding their service. THE FIRST THING you should take note of is that AIRBNB has no ratings system for THEMSELVES, THEIR SERVICE--for the service they are providing HOSTS (landlords) and RENTERS whom they receive hefty fees from. The only way to learn about reviews FOR AIRBNB is to find sites like this one, and they all quickly reveal the true nature of the business. Unfortunately, most people--myself included, are concentrated on the individual ratings for the HOST, the person they are looking to rent from. Airbnb is similar to ebay in its early years, when there was no one to turn to if you had a problem, but WORSE, they ensure they avoid bad reviews by NOT ALLOWING reviews to be left UNLESS you stay when you arrive regardless of what you find upon your arrival. If you find the place a disaster, literally exclaiming OMG aloud, and either cancel the booking or the landlord cancels when you call to object about the conditions--YOU CANNOT LEAVE A REVIEW. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!! Imagine the number of negative reviews they have filtered out! Walls crawling with roaches? Want to WARN OTHERS? You have to live with those roaches for the length of your booking--otherwise, NO REVIEWS allowed. Imagine you rent a place for a week in a place impossible to find last minute lodging and the HOST cancels your reservation while you're flying through the skies? NOTHING you can do--NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE A REVIEW. Complain about that and they will tell you, "It is their policy to only allow reviews upon the completion of your stay." Oh, and you better review it fast, there is only a 14 day window to leave a review of any kind. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit against this irresponsible company! It isn't right that people end up paying 2-3 times the amount of money they should to find last minute lodging elsewhere due to last minute cancellations!

Alan Cascio
June 30th, 2017 San Rafael, CA

I do not advise using Airbnb. Twice this year I had owners tell me at the last minute I could not have the rental promised to me months before. In both cases Airbnb staff were non apologetic. I did receive a full refund, but I had to scramble and was able to to only find new places in less desirable locations for more money. After lots of communication back and forth Airbnb did give me a small amount of money back as a rebate, but I won't be using them again in the future.

Benjamin Amendolara
June 23rd, 2017 Melville, NY

I have had multiple experiences with Airbnb in which the host was either unresponsive or the room was not as advertised (once it was even in the wrong location). Airbnb makes it extraordinarily difficult to resolve these problems, as, much like Uber, the company wants to severely limit their customer service expenditures.

Michelle
June 23rd, 2017 Atlanta, GA

The absolute worst company I have ever been involved with!!They don't care about RENTERS at all. We booked a condo in Santa Monica and within 24 hours we realized that the address was not where we thought it was and indicated that to the host... she said she would credit us 100% if the unit got booked. She told us to cancel through airbnb as well...which btw only helps protect her (Allison) the host. By doing that it would be harder later we found out to get our money from our credit card company and it would have disrupted status of the host from "SUPER HOST". At some point I checked the dates and it showed that it was rented and they denied that it was for all of the days we had booked.....THEN WHY DID IT SHOW RENTED??? Mean while I researched the whole process of this company to see how it worked since the host had an extremely strict policy and was very unsympathetic. We were in dismay when we read on the airbnb website that the unit was illegal according to the Laws and Regulations for Santa Monica. It stated that vacation rentals are prohibited unless 30 days or longer. If a primary resident is not living on site throughout stay then it is prohibited for short term stay. I confirmed with the city of Santa Monica department. I then contacted the host with this information and wanted our full refund due to this law or we were going to report the unit. She then turned it around as though she was the victim and said she was going to sue us for blackmail.....REALLY!!!! She then said she would give our money back only if we signed legal documents stating we would not damage her reputation and who knows what else. We Never signed such a document. This was important because (she) Allison... is a realtor that lives in Florida all the while renting units in Santa Monica and all over LA. She blatantly lied on airbnb website and indicated that she lived in LA, had some bogus job there and a bogus picture was posted of herself. We contacted airbnb with this information and basically they said sorry.....we can't help you. REALLY???They will just let this kind of thing go on??? The host took all of her units off that was posted in the Santa Monica area but we still have not gotten the other half of our money back which is $800.00. She still has units in the LA area. We are on our third attempt with our credit card company to get money back. They recommended contacting Airbnb once again.This whole thing happened back in April and have spent wasted hours on the phone with airbnb with no refund!!! HOW IS THIS OKAY???? It has been such a waste of time. We are being assigned another "manager" now but I am not hopeful.Why should I be with the experience so far. STAY AWAY! Its not worth it if you have a issue! And as a renter it seems you have no rights. The host has no accountability whatsoever. Why do business with a company like that. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MAKING MONEY AND THATS IT!!!!

John Stokes
June 19th, 2017

Airbnb is great until you have to deal with their customer service that may target your reservation for arbitrary "verifications" of information that messes up either your vacation or business travel plans. Airbnb could be regarded as having the "Twilight Zone" of atrocious / bizarre customer service with no accountability whatsoever. They have no phone numbers to make a complaint and they will hold up your reservation with total impunity.

Lindsay H.
June 12th, 2017 Draper, UT

Airbnb's website is very user-friendly. I love how many unique options there are for places to stay. Plus, it's really easy contact hosts with questions.

Susan Stewart
June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I was a host for AirBNB, it was super easy to signup and I had guests a couple of times. It was a good experience, but not really worth the money. I decided not to be a host anymore. But it was good to find out if it was something I would like to do or not. My experience was overall positive with AirBNB.

Robert Hess
June 5th, 2017 Erie, PA

We had a number or problems with AIRBNB. First the rental. We stayed at 161 Moonhill Ln, Boalsburg, PA near State College PA for a weekend. This house was quite expensive at $ 1800 for the 2 days, Actually check in at 5:00 pm Friday and check out at noon Sunday), so more like 1 1/2 day. We are non smokers and this was a non smoking required house. The owners are smokers though and were staying in the basement smoking the entire time. All the rooms smelled like smoke and we could not sleep well. The home was very dusty and dirty. You cannot leave a review on the property without the owner consenting to reviews, so no reviews can be trusted. 2 months later I have 6 charges in excess of $ 6800.00 from airbnb. I contacted them and they said they were fraudulent but were unable to credit my account. My credit card company has credited our account but it sounds like this sort of thing happens often with this merchant. Avoid Airbnb art all costs. You may get lucky or have an experience like ours.

Christopher Haueter
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have only had good experiences with AirBnB. Sometimes the listings on there are sketchy but you can always find good deals and there is a large variety, so finding the one for you is really easy. Prices are also good making it a great option if you don't want to spend money on a pricey hotel.

Chelsea Stewart
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have used airbnb for years. When I first began using it, it was very basic and small and I LOVED it. Over time it has gotten bigger, harder to use and SO much more expensive. What's with all the fees? Rooms that used to be affordable are so much more expensive. I'll say it again, what's with all the fees? They used to not have them and I miss it. Overall great resource for places to stay that are different and more convenient.

Eric Boyles
April 24th, 2017 Minneapolis, MN

The Customer Service at Airbnb is horrendous. I recently went on vacation with a group of friends and our Airbnb was cancelled about an hour before check in time. Things happen and we don't fault Airbnb for the cancellation however our customer service experience since has been appalling. We ended up having to stay in an Airbnb that cost 3x the price of the original Airbnb. They originally offered us $500 to help us which wouldn't have covered the difference but we would have been happy. After the trip they denied offering us money, despite telling us they found the recording of the phone call where they agreed to give it to us. They told us the only way we could get a refund is from the host, the host we ended up staying with didn't do anything wrong so it shouldn't come out of their pocket. They have ignored requests to talk to managers. After weeks of back and forth they finally offered a $500 coupon for a future stay, as if we will ever use them again... If we would have cancelled an hour before our stay we would be required to pay so they should honor their offer. There isn't any protection for the customers. They had the opportunity to make things good and we would have been happy but they choose to fight for weeks and loose customers. Will use VRBO from now on.

Stacy
February 28th, 2017 Irving, TX

I received an email stating that my email address had been changed and to notify customer service if we did not make that change. We emailed them, no return call or message. We contacted them again after attempting to log on to our account (we could not access our own account to shut it down and still can not to this day). No return call or email. About four days later, I received a call telling me that if I needed additional towels, to please let them know??? I then waiting for over 30 minutes for a customer service representative over the phone. She confirmed that my account had been changed and that a rental in Brooklyn was active. $867 on my credit card that was linked to my account. I felt great after speaking to her ~ she assured me that I would receive a call within 4 hours from the Trust and Safety department to gather the details for the investigation. She also told me that she "placed a hold" on my account so that no additional charges could be placed. Three weeks later after MANY phone calls, emails, wasted time on hold and additional charges on my credit card, I have NEVER received one single call or email from the Trust and Security Department. I continued to receive calls about my "stay" and even received a direct email from the Brooklyn host telling me that she gave me a five star rating. Airbnb did not even notify the host that she had a renter that had stolen all of my information and was using my name and credit card. I received requests in the middle of the night for codes to be entered to change additional information on my account, which I'm assuming was the same person that originally stole my information. Airbnb was notified of ALL of these events and has NOT done anything to investigate or help us in any way. Absolutely unbelievable that a company can function successfully in this manner.

Ted Eicher
December 1st, 2016 San Jose, CA

had problems with bed bugs in a Airbnb rental in Kona Hawaii. Checked out after 2 nights on a 4 night stay. Host refused to refund my money. Contacted Airbnb to intervene. Looks like they are going to side with the host based upon 'it is apparent you were bitten by something you can not prove you were bitten in the unit itself' Pretty much Airbnb is insinuating I MIGHT BE a scammer. What a load of BS!!! I vacationed in Hawaii for 3 weeks and spent over $8,000.00, and they have the audacity to say I'm trying to pull a fast one. Airbnb? NEVER AGAIN!!! Ted in San Francisco

Paul Roncallo
October 6th, 2016 Port Chester, NY

As a host when it comes to collecting damages left by guests forget it. I sent 5 pictures of damages done in home and was willing to accept a fraction of cost since I did most repairs and cleaning myself. As a result of the damage done we no longer rent our personal home out. The fact we could not get even $ 150 from airbnb for damage was just a further insult. I did leave negative feedback on family who left our home a mess but they had good feedback when we rented it to them, take that with a grain of salt. I am currently looking for another rental service to take care of my other rental property.

Sam Winster
September 28th, 2016 Rutherford, NJ

I understand that AirBNB has a higher rate to pay because they want to ensure that everyone has a great stay, but I don't mind that. I've stayed in some really crappy places before and I don't mind paying a bit more to make sure that I have a great experience. I never had any problems with them and the places that I have stayed in, have been great. I've traveled all over with them I will continue to do so. Plus, they are there in a pinch too. I would recommend AirBNB to anyone looking for a place to stay that's not an expensive hotel.

Thannicha
September 4th, 2016

To Whom it may concern I am writing to you regarding the use of the data published on this platform for a dissertation project, concerning the topic of consumer's motivation in engaging in eWOM activity the case study of Airbnb. I would like to kindly ask for your consent, if anyone does not want to be observed or named please contact me via [email protected] Best Regards Thannicha Chowiwatthana

Randall Shanks
June 29th, 2016 San Luis Obispo, CA

There was a mix-up in my reservation to Austria. After multiple contacts with Airbnb and incompetent help, I got no where. They even put me on hold and hung up.

Hannah Ramo
June 29th, 2016

poor safety , too much hacking, poor customer service

Bog
March 19th, 2016

[email protected] Furious! Three days before I fly into Melbourne and the host has cancelled the 2brm air BnB apartment I rented. They said they would try and find another place for me to stay however there are no two bedrooms left in Melbourne and can only provide a studio. Will not do because I booked s 2brm for a reason. Then the host initially wouldn't cancel the booking in order to process a refund - until I made a complaint and demanded they did. End result is me booking a last minute 2btm apartment for $1500 more because there is nothing left available f or the weekend. Air BnB don't seem to care too much. What's worse is you have to pay for your air bnb up front - and now I have to wait for a refund. There are

Lorna Salzman
February 25th, 2016 Brooklyn, NY

For many years we have personally hosted B and B guests in our lovely historic Brooklyn Heights home. We earned a five star rating and have received unanimous reviews praising our home and hospitality, without one complaint. This week, however, it changed. A woman whose daughter lives around the corner rented our room for 22 nights to be around for the birth of her grandchild. She arrived on a Monday and spent the next three days and nights without making any complaint. On Thursday morning at breakfast things started to unravel. The following all happened at Thursday breakfast. 1.She said the room lacked the promised wi-fi. It was never promised. We have our upstairs' tenants wi-fi in our apartment and I told the guest that “it should work” in the guest room. She said that in case it did not, she would bring some Apple device that could extend the signal. But Thursday morning she said she had not brought it. 2.She said that because of the lack of a wi fi signal, she had to use her monthly iPad contract with a fixed number of calls (which she had been using for over 3 days) and that if she used it for 3 weeks she would have to pay for the extra calls. I told her to find out the cost and we would reimburse her. She never followed through. 3.She said the room was too warm. Because we had just gotten out of a severe cold spell I purchased a second oil-filled radiator for her room and it warmed the room very well. But Thursday she said the room was too warm, forgetting that on her arrival I had instructed her on how to reduce the heat from the radiators if it was too warm, by turning down the gauge or turning one radiator off. 4.She said to get some cold air she opened a window but then had to look out on our yard and a neighbor's house. Our yard is not landscaped. It is mid winter. Shrubs and trees are bare. Apparently she expected a gorgeous garden view in mid winter. 5.She then announced that she had balance problems and the short five step wide brick stairs leading to the guest room bothered her. (She had used these for the whole time and never mentioned anything. Also her daughter lives above a cafe around the corner in an old walk-up building, where she would have to walk up and down the narrow stairs one or twice a day to see her daughter but she never mentioned this either). On Thursday evening she phoned to tell us she had cancelled her stay and demanded a refund from AirBnB,which granted it to her without consulting us ahead of time. Since I had already been paid, AirBnB announced that I would have to repay the $2134. debt to them and that it would be deducted from my future bookings. This meant that I would have to host guests for six months or more without being paid in order to pay off the debt. I refused and therefore I am no longer able to use AirBnb. Her complaint (spurious): our AirBnB description misrepresented the apartment as being on the ground floor (which it is),and therefore according to their rules I was to blame. I sent AirBnB the above report in several emails, and sent photos of the front of our house yesterday, proving that we live on the ground floor. I requested that their director or resident review the entire file and photos. The lesson not learned here by AirBnB is that you cannot automatically, without evidence, accept the complaint and excuse offered by guests, and that the host, along with evidence, needs to be taken seriously before any hasty judgment is made. The other lesson is that this sets a precedent by which any guest can literally invent or exaggerate or distort information without being questioned or without providing hard evidence supporting their claim. Nearly all private homes (brownstones, Federal brick homes) in Brooklyn Heights are either up a short front stoop or a bit lower than the sidewalk. Only a very few are completely level with the sidewalk, depending on the steepness of the street. In our case our ground floor entrance is 3 steps below the sidewalk..one step inside the gate and then two steps down to our front door. Yet the guest told AirBnB that our apartment was not on ground level. It most certainly is! We have no basement and our entire floor rests on the soil. Though I asked AirBnB to give me the exact wording of her complaint they did not. It appears that it was based on a “misrepresentation” of the apartment being on the ground floor, and NOT on the interior brick stairs, but I do not know yet. The AirBnB rep said it was advertised as “a single ground unit” but that phrase is not listed anywhere on the description of our apartment. What is listed is the availability of a six month sublet in “a furnished garden floor-through”, which anyone in NYC knows means GROUND LEVEL. This was explained to AirBnB but to no avail. Again, this complaint was made on Thursday, three days after the guest's arrival, during which no complaint was made of any kind. This guest lied with impunity and AirBnB swallowed her story and ignored the above. I am no longer able to use their service, which means a loss of money, but for me principles come before money….though not for them. Sincerely, Lorna Salzman

Shon
July 31st, 2015 Los Angeles, CA

EXCELLENT! I'm so glad I found Air BnB - wish I had found it sooner. It's only been 4 months of hosting but I have met some of the most amazing people from all over the planet.

Kate
July 30th, 2015 Arroyo Grande, CA

I have been a host for many years and my guests have ALL been great, friendly, clean, and gracious. I have also traveled as a guest all over the world using airbnb accomodations. 99% of these experiences have been fantastic, with perhaps a few small issues that were caused by ME not reading the description carefully. HOWEVER...I have had a few TERRIBLE experiences dealing with the airbnb company service. 1) they are impossible to get a hold of. Plan on being on hold for hours. And then getting no help at all. They say they will let somebody know about the problem, and you will never hear from them agian. 2) Once they removed my listing from the website while I was in the middle of booking a guest reservation. I had no idea why and they never explained why they took my listing down. 3) They withheld over a thousand dollars of my payments for over ten days, and old released my money to my paypal account after my husband threatened to hire an lawyer and sue them. Again, no appology or even an explanation of why they kept MY MONEY for days and days after the guests had checked out. So, if you are a host, beware and keep close tabs on your payments. The people who are hosts and also guests are really the ones who make this whole system a pleasure.......they company has issues that need to be solved.

Jay
July 29th, 2015 Keller, TX

I have used Airbnb twice, both in NYC. The first time was a bad experience. My contact person was rude and dismissive, the apartment looked great in the photos but was rundown and subpar in person. The bathroom was rundown and the owners soap and shampoo bottles littered the shower. The bedroom window wouldn't close (it was August!) and the stove didn't work. Also, I was instructed to leave my key at the laundry around the corner when I left but I had to leave early in the morning before the laundry opened so I had no choice but to leave the key on the kitchen counter. I emailed the owner to inform him and received a response three weeks later telling me that was a bad decision and the apartment could have been robbed. All around, a BAD experience. The second stay was the complete opposite! Great communication from the owners, the apartment was spotless, the kitchen and bathroom were fantastic and in working order, the bed was very comfortable and the window unit worked beautifully. I will give Airbnb another chance but I hope my first experience isn't typical.

Karen Stogsdill
July 28th, 2015 Somerset, KY

We went to Portsmouth, VA last year. We rented a whole house for several days. The owner was nice but the house we rented was was not as updated as shown in the pictures. It needed lots of updates.

Donna Mee
July 28th, 2015

I'm from California and travel on business all over the world and use airbnb for weeks and months at a time and have mainly used airbnb for New York, Chicago, San Francisco, London, Johannesburg & Cape Town South Africa, and Melbourne & Sydney multiple times. I'm currently staying in a London home and it's my first bad experience. Starting with arriving to discover that the host left their huge dog that is constantly barking and crying, the A/c doesn't work, plumbing issues, house is dirty and not at all as it was shown iin images. AND then I discovered a 12 camera video surveillance camera that is recording me in every room! Creepy and illegal. It took 2 days for Airbnb to call me back after my original "Urgent" correspondence. The representative, April A. apologized and told me that that she wanted me to check out immediately to be safe. But it was 4:00am, I hadn't been to bed yet and had early business meetings and had no where to go. So she insructed me to find another airbnb rental and as soon as I communicated with a hot to confirm availability, to contact airbnb with the info so they could transfer my funds and take care of the booking on their end. Which I did, I had several hosts "waiting" to have airbnb contact them to transfer my funds only to have airbnb disappear and abandon me and my urgent issue all together. After over 2.5 hours on hold until my phone on roaming fees was hundreds of dollars... all without anyone answering the phone, or replying to any of my emails, It is now 5 entire days later, I'm STILL in this nightmare house because airbnb is yet to reply. I'm horrified at the negligence of what has transpired or rather... not transpired. I hope that whoever is on the airbnb social media division can get someone to finally return my calls/emails and own up to what they promised in getting me a new rental since I will be in London for 7 more days! reservation confirmation code (X25BKP)

Mel
July 28th, 2015 San Ramon, CA

Great experience when staying at an AirBnb hosts residence. Easy to use website. Well put together company. Will use them for lodging as well as hosting AirBnb members who need lodging.

Maura
July 22nd, 2015 Bayonne, NJ

Went to Italy and Spain in 2014 (Spain) 2012 ( Italy) good experiences. This was before all the negative chatter about the company,

Ryan & Hannah
July 21st, 2015 Pleasant Grove, UT

My wife and I used AirBnb when we visited Europe in May. Thanks to AirBnb we had the opportunity to stay with Europeans throughout Europe. We were able to live like locals. We also saved tons of money because we were able to cook in the homes. We were also surprised to find that each place was significantly cheaper than a hotel. Each of our hosts were very nice and helpful. Our host in Paris even took us to the metro station nearby to show us how everything works. Very kind! We highly recommend AirBnb to anyone looking to save money and live like locals!

Paola Ramirez
July 20th, 2015 Dallas, TX

I used Airbnb in 4 different countries in Europe. My second host was an hour late to my arrival, I called Airbnb and they made me feel safe and assured me if my host did not show up in the next hour they were going to get me another place to stay. My fourth host tottaly lied about her place, it was filthy and scary, of course I did not stayed there, after my arrival back home, Airbnb refunded me for the unpleasant and dirty place. I will recommended 100%. Safe and great customer service. A+

Bramdi
July 20th, 2015 Canoga Park, CA

Used airbnb in 3 different cities in Italy....all 3 were great!! ...In Venice... it was much better than expected... all hosts were wonderful... I will definitely use it again... in fact the only bad place I stayed in Europe was a hotel