Vrbo Logo

7.2

LAST UPDATED: February 5th, 2022

Founded in 1995 in Aurora, Colorado, Vrbo is an online vacation rental website where property managers can rent out their properties for temporary or long-term visits. Vrbo stands for Vacation Rental By Owner and is pronounced “ver-boh.”

Travelers can book a wide variety of spaces through their site including houses, condos, cabins, bungalows, and chalets. All properties on Vrbo are private, meaning no spaces are shared with the property owners or other guests. This allows travelers the comfort and privacy of their own space while traveling with family and friends.

Go Directly to Vrbo Customer Reviews

Airbnb Logo
#1 Airbnb chevron_right
Google Flights Logo
#3 Google Flights chevron_right
TripAdvisor Logo
#4 TripAdvisor chevron_right

The Good

• Booking Options
  • Virtual Tours
  • Travel Insurance
  • Amenities

Booking Options

A useful feature on the Vrbo site is how easy it is to sort by type of space. Compared to other similar listing sites, this is a main feature of Vrbo that is easy to find on the home page and not mixed with other filters in a search. Travelers can search for the type of space they want to rent by choosing between a variety of the following home types:

• Homes
  • Estates
  • Boats
  • Castles
  • Caravans
  • And many more

Vrbo also features a Trip Board that allows users to save their favorite vacation home listings and share them with others. These spaces can be booked directly from Vrbo’s site through instant booking and can be paid for with Paypal or with a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, and American Express). All payments are done through the website and all communication between the Vrbo owner and the guest should be handled through the website and the Vrbo app.

Virtual Tours

Vrbo is starting to offer virtual tours of some of their most popular rentals. It currently offers over 15,000 high-resolution virtual tours that travelers can look through from on computers or mobile devices. Given the difficulty of creating a high-quality walk through of millions of listings, this feature is up and coming and a unique perk of Vrbo compared to other similar listing sites that only have photos of their listings.

Travel Insurance

Vrbo is one of a unique group of travel sites offering rentals that the company does not own. With this type of situation, it’s a unique perk for a company to offer travel insurance — a perk you can find on Vrbo.

After booking a trip through the site, travelers have the option to protect their stay with travel insurance and can receive a refund if they’re not satisfied with that insurance within ten days.

Travel insurance adds protection in the case of delays, interruptions, and cancellations. If a traveler’s plans are disrupted for a covered reason, they can be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses and non-refundable trip fees that result.

Amenities

A great feature on each individual listing on Vrbo is the amenities section. If you find a listing that doesn’t have a virtual tour, an extensive amenities section will tell you exactly what each space offers. This section is divided into groups like general amenities, kitchen amenities, safety amenities, etc. to give a holistic view of what can be found in each category. This is an easy way to see what’s available and what’s not without having to sort through the filters that other travel sites use for the listing’s amenities section.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Add-Ons
  • Customer Service

Pricing

When looking for vacation rentals, there are often hidden fees that don’t show up until booking, but Vrbo tends to have more fees than fewer. The price listed as the cost of the room per each night is usually a big underestimate of the total cost. Given the nature of the site, Vrbo charges each property owner a small listing fee and travelers a small service fee. Added to these fees are then a cleaning fee given by the property manager and any applicable taxes.

With everything considered, the overall price is often a lot higher than the bargain you saw on the original listing. While the cost might still be manageable with a large group, it may be difficult for small parties.

Add-Ons

Unlike other all-inclusive travel sites, Vrbo only has listings for places to stay. The site doesn’t include travel packages with flights, rental cars, or other travel needs like many travel sites or hotel sites offer. Vrbo has also chosen to forego advertising experiences or tours for travelers to purchase during their stay, something that most travel sites are starting to offer. The only thing that can be booked on Vrbo is a place to stay.

According to Vrbo reviews, customer service is not a strong point. Vrbo is a compilation of hundreds of thousands of listings, and each vacation rental owner has the ability to create their own policies. Guests should check the cancellation policy for each Vrbo rental, which may vary from full refund up until check-in or partial refund from the time of booking. Each rental property has its own set of rules and a different host. One way to find the best customer service experiences among the listings is to read the guest reviews given for each property.

The Bottom Line

Vrbo is a great vacation rental site for travelers who want the comfort of their own space while they’re on vacation. The variety of unique listings provides lots of opportunity for travelers, but it can come at a higher cost compared to budget hotels or homes with shared spaces among guests. Booking an entire house or other space on Vrbo is great for large families or groups that can split the cost, but might be somewhat expensive for smaller parties.

In addition, a Vrbo listing offers a lot of privacy and the chance to relax on a vacation, but might not be the best choice for travelers wanting to book a lot of extra excursions on the side.

In the end, it all depends on the type of vacation you’re looking for. With a travel site like this one, it’s always smart to look at the Vrbo reviews.

View Best Travel Sites

emblair Herriman, UT

Never stayed in a Vrbo that we weren't more than pleased with! It's my favorite booking service for extended vacations with the family. We've used Vrbo for booking trips to the Grand Tetons, Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Redwoods, Aspen, and many more. Always a stocked kitchen, plenty of linens, and great descriptions on their site so you know exactly what you're getting.

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

Are used VRBO when I was looking for a vacation rental they had one of the best condos I’ve ever stayed at. The condo had a pool that was resort style a lot of amenities close by

Korinne C Riverton, UT

I've used VRBO many times and often look to them before looking at hotels. I've found some great places to stay and the communication through the app is great. Lots of different options for filtering, and easy to look through pictures of all the different places. We love VRBO.

Kurt Didenhover Salt Lake City, UT

VRBO has been my go to site for finding vacation rentals. The site is easy to use and helpful in finding just the right home for our family or travel group. I've always had a good experience with the site and interacting with the owners.

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

We have a fairly large family and hotels just don't work for us. We love the privacy and availability of Vrbo. We have used Vrbo's from Florida, Arizona, Utah and California on numerous family trips. If we go on vacation we usually stay at a Vrbo.

J B Sandy, UT

Vrbo always has something for me, no matter where I travel. We like to vacation near national parks, and some of the smaller ones only have a single hotel near by, but there is almost always a VRBO at a reasonable rate. Love it!

Shopman Herriman, UT

Great booking site. Vrbo is my go-to site to book vacation rentals. I am able to search for exactly what I want with their search features. I am also able to safely communicate with the property owners to get my questions answered and address any concerns.

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

We use VRBO often for travel. It's great to be able to see all the options for the location we want to stay. Especially love that you can filter for price and amenities to locate exactly what you are looking for.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

My organization was having problems finding a location on AirBnB, so we switched to Vrbo after a friend suggested it. What stand out to me the most is the great customer service! Our host was quick to reply with any questions we had about the property, and was more than willing to provide us with additional favors such as bicycles and towels. We had a great experience with Vrbo! Will definitely be using in the future

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Vrbo is one of the best rental sites for vacation. I really enjoy that the prices on Vrbo are there and the sellers often get back to you quickly with responses! I enjoy how up-to-date the website is as well as how fair the pricing is for things such as a cleaning and service fee. Often times websites like this can have extraneous prices but I believe it Vrbo keeps their prices fair.

Erin Farnsworth Orem, UT

We have used Vrbo for every large family overnight event. We have up to 37 people and a lot of kids and have found some really ideal spaces that other companies like this can't house. When working with hosts we have been very fortunate and once received an a full refund after the deadline due to a family tragedy. We've only had great experiences and although it can be expensive for a large group, for the privacy and splitting the cost, it's an incredible option for family reunions or large gatherings.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Vrbo offers really cool packages to locations i've never considered traveling to before coming across them on the site. The site is easy to use and makes exploring new places to visit easy. Greatly recommend.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

VRBO is a great company, like airbnb. the house we went to has been updated and in excellent condition. It was easy to keep clean and conveniently arranged. The supplies left in the house were greatly appreciated. The managers were very accommodating and responded to our request immediately.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

VRBO is a great way to find a vacation property. The search engine makes it easy to narrow down properties that meet your exact needs. You can save properties online for future reference and comparison purposes. Once your property is booked, you are quickly contacted by the owner to welcome you and answer any questions you may have. I have always been very satisfied with the properties I have chosen.

Wendy Hunter Riverton, UT

Each year as I plan our family reunion, I go to VRBO to find a home for us to stay. We have stayed in amazing homes all over Utah and Idaho. Our family totals 30 now, and we've been able to find homes that accommodate all of us. The website is easy to navigate, the reservation and payment is straight forward, and with all the pictures and descriptions included, we know exactly what we're getting. We've never been disappointed!

AF ,

We use VRBO a lot for travel and family reunions. It's great to be able to get a house where you can eat meals and have a family room (rather than a hotel). I like the search by map feature too. The only thing that bothers me about searching on Vrbo is that the fees aren't super easy to browse. You'll find an amazing place to stay and then see that there an astronomical cleaning fee, resort fee, owner's fee, and so on..... you can view the entire bill (which is nice, it's not hidden), but it would be nice to be able to see that quickly while browsing.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I’ve used VRBO a few times. But I will not ever again. They cancelled my reservation on accident. When I got the notification, I rebooked another house. Then they rebooked the one they cancelled. It was so confusing, I had to fight with them to get my money back. And they still didn’t refund it. I had to get my credit card company to take care of it,

Anne Sainsbury South Jordan, UT

I love using Vrbo. I have used this site a number of times when traveling and for the most part have been able to find rentals in the areas where I am looking to travel. I think that the website is well made and easy to use and would recommend it to anyone looking to get out and have an adventure!

Debbie Farrow ,

I love being able to view all details of places I will be booking. The pictures and locations of the rentals are vital. I have had huge success using VRBO because I feel like there are not surprises when I arrive at my destination.

David Anderson Providence, UT

Every year our extended family rents a house or condo in a tourist location. We have used VRBO every year now for several years. The process is easy, they have a ton of selection, and it has been years of amazing vacations with the in-laws. I would consider that a win on all accounts

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I used them when we went to Hawaii. It was an amazing experience. I was able to get a house that fit our whole family. I loved having a kitchen so that we could have some meals at home. I also liked that we could spread out unlike in a hotel.

Seth S Sandy, UT

Most experiences have been very positive; properties were as advertised and communication with owners had been easy. However, the last time I tried to book a place, this past July, my request was declined simply because the owner didn't review the request within 48 hrs. I tried the same property twice with the same result. Ended up booking the same property through Air B&B.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

This makes finding a place to stay while traveling so simple! There are so many options to choose from, and anyone can find something that suites their needs! All of our hosts have been wonderful at answering questions and making our stay truly great!

Aidan Keogh Ogden, UT

We often travel to more rural parts of the country when on vacation and we've found the selection on VRBO better than other sites. If there's been an issue they've always been able to resolve it to our satisfaction. If you use other sites, be sure to check the selection on VRBO before you book!

Shauna Horne American Fork, UT

Our family has used VRBO a few times to rent a house. I like how on some of the properties it will show you the price it will cost on your specific dates. It also has a lot of information about each property which helps me decide which property to book.

Sherry Arnold Alpine, UT

We have had a great experience with VRBO. We've found some great deals and love being "off the beaten path". We stayed in Hawaii, in a little mother in law apartment right on the beach for less than the hotels. Owners were very nice.

Amberly Pack Salt Lake City, UT

Thanks for helping us find our latest vacation home. Making great memories with family so much easier and affordable!

Gayle Jorgensen American Fork, UT

We rented a cabin through them. They were easy to work with and the cabin was in excellent shape. V

Jennie South Jordan, UT

Used VRBO many times to book accommodations. Awesome customer when had a problem with one of our reservations.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Vrbo is easy to navigate and there are plenty of places to choose from. The only complaint that I have is the hosts are slow to respond to my questions/concerns.

Cindy Peterson

Rented a place in St George and it was really nice. It helps save money when you can cook your own meals.

Jackie Spokane, WA

We have used Vrbo to book lodging for several trips and never had a problem - lodging choices are always well described, and we have had good communication from owners before and during renting.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

VRBO offers great places to stay while traveling. These stays are home away from home. I have been pleasantly surprised with the ease of booking and communication when booking with VRBO.

Bessie B Gilbert, AZ

We have stayed at Vrbo properties several times. They have great choices of varied sizes and prices in many locations. We have found the properties to be clean and as promised. The owners have been responsive and easy to work with. Never had any problems with check out or extra charges after the visit.

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

The Vrbo's we've stayed at have been AWESOME. Vrbo does a really good job of accurately depicting the houses (in my experience) and it is nice not to have to worry about cleaning anything when leaving.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

We booked through VRBO for our trip to Maui and it was wonderful. The condo was exactly how it looked in the pictures and we had all of our passcodes and services in place when we got there. I definitely recommend using VRBO!

Ashley Ulibarri Herriman, UT

Love using VRBO to book homes to stay iat whenever we travel to Hawaii. We’ve always had a great experience wherever we have stayed and I feel like VRBO is a very trusting site to use.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

We have had some memorable vacations, thanks to VRBO. Whether it was relaxing in the rented house after a hot eventful day on the beach, or playing games in the loft of the cabin after a great day in Yellowstone. VRBO has provided us with great rental options perfect for our vacation location.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I like using VRBO to find cabins and houses for our family vacations when we go to mountain locations. I like their internal rating system on not only the location, but also the hosts.

LBurr96 Salt Lake City, UT

So nice to feel at home away from home. It can be hard though to know if what you are getting is what you see online.

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

The website has a very organized layout and makes it easy to find what you are looking for. I particularly appreciate that they have no age minimum in order to rent.

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Often shop for vacation homes/condos to rent on Vrbo. Great selection and filters available. I suspect I'll rent directly from them at some point in the near future (although post pandemic).

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Good source to source and price shop vacation rental homes. Although I have not booked through them yet, it looks like a legitimate site that will stand behind the consumer in the event there is an issue with the product.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

My preferred site to book a vacation rental. The booking fee can be kinda pricey, I guess depending on the cost of your rental, but they have good options on here and good service.

Megan Roper Pleasant Grove, UT

Did not have a great experience with Vrbo the last time we used it. I wish they had a better arbitration system between landlords and renters. We had a bit of a dispute with the landlord (which was totally their fault) and we could not get our "renter review" arbitrated or changed at all.

Myken American Fork, UT

We have used VRBO this past year for several vacations where we needed a larger size place with several bedrooms. Booking is easy but I don’t like the additional fees when you check out (deposit, cleaning fee, travel insurance etc). I’d use it more if it were more clear about prices when Looking.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

My main issue with VRBO is how expensive the properties are on this website. I can look at similar properties with similar amenities in similar locations and the prices on VRBO are usually more expensive than if I go thru other booking sites. When it is all said and done, price is the major difference for any of these booking sites.

Tony Riverton, UT

Absolutely my favorite site to finding a quick rental property at a good deal. If you're looking for a place to star other than a hotel, VRBO is the best in my book.

BLF Pleasant Grove, UT

I was able to book a rental through VRBO and it was really nice. I wasn't as impressed with the website as other companies, but they don't charge as much of a service fee as other places.

Cdavid St Louis, MO

Vrbo has a good selection of rentals to choose from. I like to see all the pictures and read the reviews from previous renters.