TripAdvisor Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: January 20th, 2022

TripAdvisor is a search engine for travel accommodations, including flights, hotels, and cruises. The company pulls information from several other sites, including Expedia and Travelocity. Occasionally, information is pulled directly from travel service provider websites. TripAdvisor also offers a mobile app for travel help on the go as well as a form on its website to help travelers connect with people who have been to the destinations they're interested in.

TripAdvisor is unique because its website was one of the first travel search engines to feature user-generated content.

Read on for pros and cons, or go directly to TripAdvisor reviews from real customers

Airbnb Logo
#1 Airbnb chevron_right
Google Flights Logo
#2 Google Flights chevron_right
Vrbo Logo
#3 Vrbo chevron_right

The Good

• Travel Safe Program
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Capabilities
  • Mobile App
  • Review Aspect

Travel Safe Program

TravelAdvisor has created a new search filter that allows customers to see travel accommodations with plans for COVID-19 prevention. The new feature will filter by businesses that have shared their health and safety protocols, like wearing masks and enhanced cleaning measures. When travelers search for a hotel or desination, they can click the filter for "properties taking safety measures" and find all accommodations that are participating in the Travel Safe program. Businesses that want to participate in the program will check a list of precautions that they are putting in place, as well as write a personalized approach if applicable. Travelers will also see reviews from recent guests that will confirm or deny that the property is following these guidelines.

Travel Accommodations

TripAdvisor can help travelers to find flights, hotels, and cruises. Its platform pulls pricing information from thousands of airline and travel sites in order to provide users with the most up-to-date information.

Capabilities

Travel websites are always looking for ways to appeal to consumers interested in booking a trip. In addition to giving customers the ability to book flights, hotels, and cruises, TripAdvisor also provides its users with the following capabilities not typically found on other sites:

• Read reviews - Travelers who have stayed in a hotel, eaten at a local restaurant, or visited a destination attraction can write reviews to inform other travelers and help alleviate the guessing game associated with booking accommodations
  • Compare prices - Compare fares and rates of thousands of accommodations with one search
  • Access travel community - Through the travel forum, prospective travelers are able to ask questions to those who have already visited their desired destination and receive tips and advice

Mobile App

TripAdvisor's mobile app is a helpful tool for travelers, especially when they are on the go and need some additional travel help. The app is available for mobile devices and tablets and comes with a number of services that can benefit almost any traveler, including:

• SeatGuru: Includes seat maps, flight search, and flight status updates
  • GateGuru: Includes airport maps, stores, tips, weather reports, and flight statuses
  • TheFork: Allows travelers to book reservations at top-rated restaurants

Review Aspect

The review aspect of TripAdvisor's business model is one of the most intriguing features the company has to offer because it is not a common feature provided by travel booking sites. As of right now, TripAdvisor has over 350 million traveler reviews covering more than 6.5 million accommodations ranging from hotels to restaurants to attractions. Traveler's Choice is another resource that is unique to TripAdvisor. Using this feature, travelers can browse the year's top-rated hotels and destinations based on user reviews. This list is updated each year, but travelers can look at past winners as well.

The Bad

• Booking with Third-Parties
  • Quality Assurance Problems
  • Undisclosed Information

Booking with Third-Parties

Unfortunately, TripAdvisor does not provide its own booking service for clients who are looking for deals on travel sites. Instead, the company allows users to search for accommodations on its platform and then directly links them to other respected sites such as Expedia and Priceline for booking.

Quality Assurance Problems

TripAdvisor has some quality assurance issues with its user-generated content because accommodation reviews are not always verified. In addition, trip taxes are occasionally not posted or are inaccurate.

Undisclosed Information

It is unclear whether or not TripAdvisor provides a rewards program for frequent customers to participate in. Further, the company has not disclosed whether or not it offers travel protection.

The Bottom Line

TripAdvisor provides a number of capabilities on its website and a mobile app to help customers find flight, hotel, and cruise deals. The company also has a unique part of its business model that allows travelers to leave reviews on different accommodations.

However, TripAdvisor does not offer its own booking service and sometimes has quality assurance issues with its user-generated content. Further, the company has not disclosed a few pieces of important information on its website.

View Best Travel Sites

Laurel Dalton Riverton, UT

I recently used trip advisor while traveling to Texas. Upon arrival, our group was looking for the best attractions to visit, and TripAdvisor quickly helped us find memorable destinations. The website is so quick and easy to use, and is very helpful no matter your trip location.

Shopman Herriman, UT

TripAdvisor does just what it says it does! It is very helpful to learn from others experiences about what to do or not do. I don't like how you have to do two different searches to see hotels and vacation rentals. The travel forums are awesome and worth looking at.

Rebecca D

TripAdvisor was a good search Tool when looking to plan a trip. However, I did not like the fact that they push for you to use their company for every single thing. Such as hotel air flight, rental car, and etc. I like to make my own decisions and search for better deals and not just always buy a package to one.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

I love how easy TripAdvisor is to use to book your flights, hotels, and excursions in all one spot. TripAdvisor shows what are some of the best activities to do in the place you are traveling to and always gives you great hotels. I definitely trust their recommendations on where to go, eat and see. I use their recommendations to plan my trip on what things we do.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

TripAdvisor has been a God send for helping us choose good destinations when traveling. I know now from personal experience to heed the reviews. On our last trip, we decided to stay in a hotel that was closest to a beach in Satellite Florida. Not really a popular tourist destination, but we were passing through. Everyone left horrible 1 and 2 star reviews but we decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt. My gosh, what a mistake that was. To say it was dirty is an understatement! Folks, do yourself a favor and when you read the reviews on trip advisor, take them to heart! I will never go anywhere without reading the reviews on trip advisor. That also applies to resturants and any other type of destinations.

J B Sandy, UT

I've tried a number of travel sites, I keep ending up back on TripAdvisor. Hard to beat their deals.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

TripAdvisor is a very useful site that is easy to navigate online. It's restaurant reviews are very helpful and detailed. They also have a large variety of options in the vacation rentals section with helpful reviews for each.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

TripAdvisor is fantastic for finding things to do in new cities, and the ability to compare things like flight prices across various sites is nice too..... however, the site can be a bit busy and hard to navigate. There is also a popup every time you enter a new page about signing in, which can be a bit annoying.

Erin Farnsworth Orem, UT

I can't think of a single trip that I've been on and have not used a suggestion from TripAdvisor. It's a mistake if you're looking for restaurants and don't consider what TripAdvisor has to say - they are a real resource that I trust and know I'll have a good eating experience. We have not branched out of the food scene as much, but rely on it for our eating-out on vacations.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Any time I travel I use tripadvisor to find fun activities to do in the area. Makes it super easy to dodge certain tourist traps!

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Whenever I think of a new location to visit I am always curious as to what there is to do in the area. TripAdvisor does just what the name intends, it shows you popular places to eat at, tour and visit. They also help find ways to arrive to your location either by car or plane.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Love how they organize their site and provide local features wherever you're traveling too with reviews about the places. I love that they give you everything you'd need when traveling in regards to hotels, rental cars, not just local spots

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

I found Trip Advisor to be very good for arranging my travel plans. My trip to Disney was stress-free because of Trip Advisor.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I use TA to plan all my vacations. The personal reviews and pictures are so helpful. I only have good things to say about this company and the service they provide.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

I've searched a lot of trip sites, and Trip Advisor seems to be trying to cover everything, which it seems they do well at. The problem is that they end up not being very accurate on the specific details. It's all about what the users ranks, but that's a user popularity game instead of getting actual facts. Not bad for some very preliminary searching, but I don't use them beyond that.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I used TripAdvisor when I was in China and it was very easy to use. I trusted the website and felt comfortable adding my personal and credit card information. They suggested amazing places to stay and activities to do when I was there.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

I love using TripAdvisor to research all kinds of travel information. You get honest reviews of hotels, restaurants, tours and other travel related activities. You can also get pricing information and compare prices as well as make reservations. It is a great tool whenever you are visiting a new destination and want to get ideas for things to do while there, where to stay, etc.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

TripAdvisor has been helpful to me when I am on vacation or traveling different parts of the world. I like how you can look up restaurants that are popular in that area. It is a good way to find local food and not touristy attractions when you are in other parts of the world. Some of my favorite memories while traveling abroad were made because I followed Trip Advisor.

Aybree McBride Ogden, UT

I've used Tripadvisor for all of my trip planning. It makes it so easy and it gives you lots of options which I love

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

TripAdvisor is one of my favorite travel websites. Easy to use and find flight+hotel packages for a good deal.

Jackie Spokane, WA

I depend on TripAdvisor for both choosing and learning about lodging and travel destinations - current and past reviews are so helpful before making reservations and for tips to prepare for travel.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

TripAdvisor is quite the cool website. It can find great discounts and make travel planning easier and fun. Tons of options lets you choose what works best for you. And you can trust the site can deliver in reservations and quality of service from its partners. I use it often and find the experience very helpful and saves tons of time.

AF ,

I almost always use TripAdvisor when traveling to a new area. I love getting ideas of places to visit and hotels to stay in. Even if you have your favorite hotel brand, it seems like hotel quality really just depends on your local owner and staff. I love hearing from REAL people on what they thought about it (I love the photos that people upload too). Big fan of TripAdvisor.

AK Riverton, UT

TripAdvisor is a great way to plan your trip! I love being able to read the reviews from real people, seeing what they experienced. Whenever I'm traveling somewhere new, I alwasy look on TripAdvisor for the recommended things to do, hotels, food places, etc. Everything about the website is really intuitive too -- the calendar, filter options,etc.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

This is my go to place for getting local recommendation for everywhere I travel. They have super informative reviews and answers to just about any questions. Even their closed threads can still be super helpful. I love their ratings on places to eat. I love finding local restaurants for every meal and I have never been let down by the recommendations.

Christine Farmer Littleton, CO

I use TripAdvisor extensively when I'm planning a vacation. I have used them for ideas for activities, hotels, and vacation rentals. I did a lot of comparing between hotels and vacation rentals for our trip to Playa del Carmen and found this website very useful. I do read the reviews and take them into account. The filters are helpful to narrow down the choices. I also used this to look at tours and excursions. Everything I need to plan can be found on this site!

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Love using TripAdvisor especially to find good restraunts in new areas. It was however difficult to tell what language was spoken at different places while out of the country.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I have used TripAdvisor for years when planning vacations. Lots of useful information and always helpful comments and reviews. Highly recommend for your next vacay!

Bethany Rockville, MD

We recently used TripAdvisor to search for affordable air tickets and found out it is the most effective website, when compared to other travel websites! It provides many combinations from a variety of airline companies.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I use TripAdviser every time I leave town. It is so helpful to know what other travelers liked about hotels, locations, restaurants, etc. I love to read the travel tips for the locations we visit. It is extremely helpful.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

I often use TripAdvisor to give me an idea of how well a business serves its customers or what is available in an area that I'm not familiar with. Good for vacation planning or getting more info so I can make an informed decision.

Brandon Maughan Lehi, UT

Anytime I travel I use TripAdvisor for determining what to do, where to stay, and where to eat. I love the ability to rate restaurants in any given city by cuisine. Very helpful site!

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Trip Advisor is my go-to when traveling. When I want to find the best places to see and things to do in a new place, I always go here to see what I need to visit. I like that I can check for reviews for restaurants too. I like being able to book excursions through Trip Advisor too. I always trust the reviews and what Trip Advisor has to say.

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

Trip advisor is an awesome place to go when planning a vacation. It is so nice to be able to find local favorite places and to read reviews so that you can find the best places for your trip.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

I refer to tripadvisor on a regular basis when planning any travel. The reviews are excellent I have never been disappointed in what I have done based off trip advisor recommendations. Whether its hotels, restaurants or things to do in an area.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

I have used TripAdvisor many times for advice on what to see and do in various vacation locations. I have enjoyed many of the recommendations that I have received from using TripAdvisor recommendations and would recommend others to use their services!

G Burt ,

TripAdvisor does a good job of providing all of the necessary details prior to booking a trip. I know exactly what I'm getting into, and I really trust the review process that they have for members to review hotels.

Corbin Short ,

TripAdvisor is almost really helpful. I have used it a few times to help me get started in the right direction for various plans and activities, but not very often have I found the best activities on the site. It's difficult because it seeks to be a one-stop-shop for planning trips, but you would miss out on so much by only following TripAdvisor. Nice to use, but continue doing your own due diligence.

austin pliler Layton, UT

Trip Advisor is the best place to plan vacations. I travel a lot with my family every year and it’s always planned primarily with trip advisor. Fun things to do, restaurants, places to see, and hotels are all booked starting with trip advisor.

Jordyn Kerner Fayetteville, AR

TripAdvisor is a great website to visit when you want to find out more about a place you are going to visit. The reviews from other people's experiences are very useful and the site also includes other information like photos, restaurants, and things to do.

McKenzie ,

I had a great experience with Trip Advisor when I was considering planning a family vacation. They were helpful in knowing which destinations would be good to travel to with the Covid-19 restrictions and which ones might not be good. I highly recommend it.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

TripAdvisor is the website to use if you are looking for main locations wherever you are traveling to. I have found great restaurants, things to do, and hotels on TripAdvisor. I also like how they allow you to compare places and what they offer, prices, etc. Great website!

GrandpaRod Lehi, UT

I took a trip to San Diego this last year and I used Trip Advisor for the rating information it provides, for the reservations I was able to obtain and the ease it was to use their systems. I saved a ton of money thanks to Travel Advisor. Thanks

Reckholdt Draper, UT

We search trip advisor and read all about everyone of our destinations on there. It always has great insights in where to stay and especially what to do everywhere we travel to. We read a lot of the reviews to help us decide what activities we want to do while at our destination.

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

always a great site to come to if you have never been to a place and want real people opinion. it is a great place to find itineraries about everything to do in a certain location. i have learned where to go, what to do, and places to avoid while on my trips

Myra Howes Provo, UT

I often find myself on TripAdvisor as I'm planning vacations. Most recently I was on your site as I planned my honeymoon. I love the helpful articles you have, suggesting popular things to see or do-especially because sometimes we have no idea. I love that you include prices and easy ways to "Book Now" as well as approximate time limits for everything. I like to be able to see others' reviews as well.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

Whenever we want to know where to eat or what to do on a trip we always look here. It gives us confidence in our choices when we see what they advise. It is easy to use their website. And we have booked excursions through them easily.

Tracy Womack Cedar City, UT

I love using TripAdvisor. Whenever we are going to any destination, I always click on TripAdvisor. It has helped us find cheaper rooms, things to do while we are there, and of course the best, FOOD! This is the best app ever. I suggest that everyone download it.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I am on a 3 month humanitarian trip right now and I am always looking for things to do on the weekend. I search what to do in the area and trip advisor always comes up with great ideas. I love using it for hikes and seeing what people said about certain hikes or how to get there.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

Trips Advisor is a great tool to find fun activities or excursions to do in the area that you’re traveling. I find that the reviews the people write for any specific activity is very helpful to know what is worth my time or not.