TripAdvisor is a search engine for travel accommodations, including flights, hotels, and cruises. The company pulls information from several other sites, including Expedia and Travelocity. Occasionally, information is pulled directly from travel service provider websites. TripAdvisor also offers a mobile app for travel help on the go as well as a form on its website to help travelers connect with people who have been to the destinations they're interested in.

TripAdvisor is unique because its website was one of the first travel search engines to feature user-generated content.

Read on for pros and cons, or go directly to TripAdvisor reviews from real customers

#1 CheapOAir chevron_right
4.1
#2 Airbnb chevron_right
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Travel Safe Program
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Capabilities
  • Mobile App
  • Review Aspect

Travel Safe Program

TravelAdvisor has created a new search filter that allows customers to see travel accommodations with plans for COVID-19 prevention. The new feature will filter by businesses that have shared their health and safety protocols, like wearing masks and enhanced cleaning measures. When travelers search for a hotel or desination, they can click the filter for "properties taking safety measures" and find all accommodations that are participating in the Travel Safe program. Businesses that want to participate in the program will check a list of precautions that they are putting in place, as well as write a personalized approach if applicable. Travelers will also see reviews from recent guests that will confirm or deny that the property is following these guidelines.

Travel Accommodations

TripAdvisor can help travelers to find flights, hotels, and cruises. Its platform pulls pricing information from thousands of airline and travel sites in order to provide users with the most up-to-date information.

Capabilities

Travel websites are always looking for ways to appeal to consumers interested in booking a trip. In addition to giving customers the ability to book flights, hotels, and cruises, TripAdvisor also provides its users with the following capabilities not typically found on other sites:

• Read reviews - Travelers who have stayed in a hotel, eaten at a local restaurant, or visited a destination attraction can write reviews to inform other travelers and help alleviate the guessing game associated with booking accommodations
  • Compare prices - Compare fares and rates of thousands of accommodations with one search
  • Access travel community - Through the travel forum, prospective travelers are able to ask questions to those who have already visited their desired destination and receive tips and advice

Mobile App

TripAdvisor's mobile app is a helpful tool for travelers, especially when they are on the go and need some additional travel help. The app is available for mobile devices and tablets and comes with a number of services that can benefit almost any traveler, including:

• SeatGuru: Includes seat maps, flight search, and flight status updates
  • GateGuru: Includes airport maps, stores, tips, weather reports, and flight statuses
  • TheFork: Allows travelers to book reservations at top-rated restaurants

Review Aspect

The review aspect of TripAdvisor's business model is one of the most intriguing features the company has to offer because it is not a common feature provided by travel booking sites. As of right now, TripAdvisor has over 350 million traveler reviews covering more than 6.5 million accommodations ranging from hotels to restaurants to attractions. Traveler's Choice is another resource that is unique to TripAdvisor. Using this feature, travelers can browse the year's top-rated hotels and destinations based on user reviews. This list is updated each year, but travelers can look at past winners as well.

The Bad

• Booking with Third-Parties
  • Quality Assurance Problems
  • Undisclosed Information

Booking with Third-Parties

Unfortunately, TripAdvisor does not provide its own booking service for clients who are looking for deals on travel sites. Instead, the company allows users to search for accommodations on its platform and then directly links them to other respected sites such as Expedia and Priceline for booking.

Quality Assurance Problems

TripAdvisor has some quality assurance issues with its user-generated content because accommodation reviews are not always verified. In addition, trip taxes are occasionally not posted or are inaccurate.

Undisclosed Information

It is unclear whether or not TripAdvisor provides a rewards program for frequent customers to participate in. Further, the company has not disclosed whether or not it offers travel protection.

The Bottom Line

TripAdvisor provides a number of capabilities on its website and a mobile app to help customers find flight, hotel, and cruise deals. The company also has a unique part of its business model that allows travelers to leave reviews on different accommodations.

However, TripAdvisor does not offer its own booking service and sometimes has quality assurance issues with its user-generated content. Further, the company has not disclosed a few pieces of important information on its website.

View Best Travel Sites

Karen Torino

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor is the website to use if you are looking for main locations wherever you are traveling to. I have found great restaurants, things to do, and hotels on TripAdvisor. I also like how they allow you to compare places and what they offer, prices, etc. Great website!

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like using TripAdvisor to get a good feel of what the hotel is like and what other guests have reported about their stays. This helps me make good decisions about where to book reservations.

Ashley Roberts

March 8th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trip Advisor makes planning my entire trips very easy and it goes by so fast and I genuinely save so much money!!

Anita pea

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trip advisor is the best traveling app out there. They have helped me find the lowest prices on hotels and is worth every penny!!!

Seth Boudoin

March 7th, 2020 ,

Perfect for suggesting exotic trips for me when my mind draws blanks. Shows me great prices and the best flights to get there.

Randi Nelson

March 6th, 2020 San José, SJ

TripAdvisor has helped me save some money and helped me from not having terrible experiences like others from reading reviews of other people. Very helpful, thank you TripAdvisor.

Janie Dennis

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love TripAdvisor! It is so helpful when trying to travel and finding places to stay! Traveling is so stressful!

Julie Taylor

February 27th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a great site to find extra things to do at different locations. We have found some great extra activities We also love to use it to find unique places to eat.

Shauna Horne

February 24th, 2020 American Fork, UT

When I plan a trip I go to TripAdvisor to get recommendations on things to do in an area. Other users submit their reviews on activities and restaurants, etc. and it helps me decide how to plan our trip.

MaryAnn

February 23rd, 2020 Nampa, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We always check Trip Advisor for reviews prior to booking a hotel room, I like booking with confidence to know what I’m getting.

David T

February 23rd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used their website several times, but what I like most about them is their reviews from their users. Very helpful in deciding what to see at a destination.

Mhorne182

February 23rd, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used to dislike trip advisor. It has become a great site to look at to preview sites before visiting.

DeeDee G.

February 22nd, 2020 Norcross, GA

When I was booking a trip for Tennessee this really helped me get the best deal. I got to stay in a beautiful cabin right in the heart of the smokey mountains. Would highly reccomend!

Audrey Mitchell

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trip Advisor has helped when planning vacations and what to do while away. Trip advice does have higher prices when it comes to booking with a touring company.

Silvia Lobendahn

February 17th, 2020 Orem, UT

I have three trips that I have recently been researching and I have been using TripAdvisor to get the best price on airline, hotels, and car rentals. I really like the feature that I can leave my email and it will send me updates on the specific flights and dates.

GrandpaRod

February 14th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I took a trip to San Diego this last year and I used Trip Advisor for the rating information it provides, for the reservations I was able to obtain and the ease it was to use their systems. I saved a ton of money thanks to Travel Advisor. Thanks

Reckholdt

February 11th, 2020 Draper, UT

We search trip advisor and read all about everyone of our destinations on there. It always has great insights in where to stay and especially what to do everywhere we travel to. We read a lot of the reviews to help us decide what activities we want to do while at our destination.

Bryndie

February 10th, 2020 Managua, MN

Super awesome source to go to for travel tips. A perfect hub for flights, hotels, restaurants, and activities to keep you busy. Easy research.

Angelina Hamilton

February 8th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

I really like all the reviews they have available. When I am looking to go somewhere I always go here first to check it out!

Eddie Rios

February 8th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor is quite the cool website. It can find great discounts and make travel planning easier and fun. Tons of options lets you choose what works best for you. And you can trust the site can deliver in reservations and quality of service from its partners. I use it often and find the experience very helpful and saves tons of time.

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA

I’ve used trip advisor a few times and never had a bad experience. I’ve spoken with their customer assistance before and it was really helpful.

Beverly Schacher

February 4th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love using TripAdvisor to research all kinds of travel information. You get honest reviews of hotels, restaurants, tours and other travel related activities. You can also get pricing information and compare prices as well as make reservations. It is a great tool whenever you are visiting a new destination and want to get ideas for things to do while there, where to stay, etc.

Juliann Mecham

February 2nd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor has helped me with my many adventures and I am so grateful for it. It’s helped me find new things and get good deals and at cheap prices

Darbles32

February 1st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trip advisor is such a good website to find the best deals along with letting you know what is around the area that you are staying

Madison Kneiss

January 25th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

always a great site to come to if you have never been to a place and want real people opinion. it is a great place to find itineraries about everything to do in a certain location. i have learned where to go, what to do, and places to avoid while on my trips

Michael

January 21st, 2020 Downey, CA

Always use TripAdvisor when plan my trip. Lots of really good offers. Love to use it for new travel ideas.

Zac Cannon

January 16th, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I have done travel with TripAdvisor with my parents. Rates are fair and you can get great deals on flights and rooms.

Wendy Liu

January 15th, 2020 Bethesda, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor is so helpful when planning vacations as there are so many trustworthy reviews on there! The website is also very organized and easy to navigate. Some reviews are fake though so be careful.

Luna

January 15th, 2020 Rockville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You can download trip advice for any country that you want to go to. It helped me to find out attractions in all of the countries that I visited.

Debbie Fish

January 12th, 2020 Biloxi, MS

Love love love the reviews for all the different locations. I always try to find the number one place when we are on vacations.

Jacob

December 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love to use TripAdvisor to find out secrets and hacks to make my vacations better. Previous customers will add tips and tricks that I wouldnt otherwise know about and give honest opinions about local destinations.

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

TripAdvisor is helpful when booking a trip because it gives you options to things you might not be thinking about like a rental car, but the pop ups are a bit overwhelming.

Myra Howes

December 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

I often find myself on TripAdvisor as I'm planning vacations. Most recently I was on your site as I planned my honeymoon. I love the helpful articles you have, suggesting popular things to see or do-especially because sometimes we have no idea. I love that you include prices and easy ways to "Book Now" as well as approximate time limits for everything. I like to be able to see others' reviews as well.

Juan

December 9th, 2019 Beaver, PA

I have used tripadvisor and the app to look for travel destinations, attractions there and even places to eat! i recommend if traveling.

Tom Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have looked at TripAdvisor several times in an attempt to get good pricing on air but I have never found their pricing to be better than other sites. I have also looked at motels with them when I was planning a trip to Canada but, again, didn't find their pricing attractive. Their site is easy to navigate, however, so I will continue to look at them for my flying and lodging needs in the future because they do have a good reputation.

Brittney Miskin

November 29th, 2019 Riverton, UT

I use trip advisor for travel info everytime we go on a trip. I love their reviews and ideas of things to do.

Roman Christiansen

November 29th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bought airfare for our October Hawaiian vacation through TripAdvisor. This site offered the best deals and the best flights (direct from Salt Lake to Honolulu, no connections). Will always be using them from now on.

Lily

November 24th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor has so many choices to choose from.When my family needs a getaway we look up hotels and places to see what’s the best choices.

Todd Homitz

November 15th, 2019 Evans City, PA

I use this site quite often when looking at reviews for vacation spots. Highly recommend for this reason alone.

Tony

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not sure why, but I didn't really like this travel shopping site as much as others I've used. Lack of familiarity may have something to do with it, but it wasn't anything great.

Brittany Wilkinson

November 9th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use TripAdviser every time I leave town. It is so helpful to know what other travelers liked about hotels, locations, restaurants, etc. I love to read the travel tips for the locations we visit. It is extremely helpful.

AK

November 8th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor is a great way to plan your trip! I love being able to read the reviews from real people, seeing what they experienced. Whenever I'm traveling somewhere new, I alwasy look on TripAdvisor for the recommended things to do, hotels, food places, etc. Everything about the website is really intuitive too -- the calendar, filter options,etc.

Rilynne Edwards

November 5th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was able to book a trip to England through TripAdvisor. Not only did they help with hotels and rental cars, but I was given great tips and tricks for my trip there! My trip was amazing thanks to TripAdvisor.

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is my go to place for getting local recommendation for everywhere I travel. They have super informative reviews and answers to just about any questions. Even their closed threads can still be super helpful. I love their ratings on places to eat. I love finding local restaurants for every meal and I have never been let down by the recommendations.

ave

October 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor offers some of the best reviews of any of the travel websites out there. You can find out about anything you want to do for your trip from their website and they are very helpful.

Ellen Morris

October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD

I always want TripAdvisor to be helpful in finding activities to do while I am in a new city but I never find it to be as useful as I expect it to be. They make it seem like their recommendations are the best but then locals always tell me other things that end up being more fun! They just need to give better recommendations.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever we want to know where to eat or what to do on a trip we always look here. It gives us confidence in our choices when we see what they advise. It is easy to use their website. And we have booked excursions through them easily.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

TripAdvisor has been a great source of information on what to do, where at, and the best time of year to go. We often consult with TripAdvisor before planning trips to ensure we will have the best experience possible.

Jaime

October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT

I check TripAdvisor often when planning trips in order to find the best hotels. The reviews are super helpful in getting what I want in a hotel.

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT

I use this site all the time to read about things to see and do in vacation spots. I also use it to see reviews on hotels, tips on how to pack and what to expect, etc.