Orbitz

7.3

Founded in 2001, Orbitz is a travel service that helps customers search, book, and manage their travel accommodations. The company has partnerships with many different airfare and travel providers and owns many of its own brands, which helps to increase the number of affordable fare options available to customers.

The Good

• Resources
  • Features
  • Rewards program
  • Mobile app

Resources

As one of the leading providers of online travel bookings, Orbitz has created resources that help to make research and booking easy for travelers. The company provides aggregated data from thousands of sites to help travelers find the best values on vacations and stay on budget.

Features

In an attempt to make booking travel as easy as possible, Orbitz has developed a number of tools and features to benefit consumers during the planning process, including:

• An easy-to-use navigation setup that lets customers easily compare different travel options
  • A rewarding incentives program for returning customers
  • A mobile app that customers can use to book services and check itineraries
  • Options for staying at the top resorts, including Disney and MGM

Rewards Program

Orbitz has a travel rewards program that allows members to earn Orbucks, which is the company's own currency. One Orbuck equals one USD in savings on qualifying hotel bookings. The rewards program has three levels:

• Silver - Members receive 100 percent of the difference plus a bonus of up to 100 Orbucks
  • Gold - Members receive 100 percent of the difference plus a bonus of up to 150 Orbucks
  • Platinum - Members receive 100 percent of the difference plus a bonus of up to 200 Orbucks

Mobile App

Orbitz separates itself from competitors by not only providing a mobile app for Apple and Android users, but an app for Kindle Fire users as well.

The Bad

• Privacy concerns
  • Reward limitations

Privacy Concerns

There are some concerns about Orbitz and its privacy standards. In the past, the company has shared customer data, including credit card information, with other businesses as is articulated in its terms of service. Some customers have even reported that they were charged as much as $12 for memberships in third-party travel rewards programs that they never intended to enroll in.

Reward Limitations

Although Orbtiz does have a rewards program, not all products or services can be used to earn Orbucks. The following accommodations are not eligible for rewards:

• Non-qualifying hotels that are not prepaid
  • Activities and services
  • Car rentals
  • Cruises
  • Travel insurance

Consumers should also keep in mind that Orbucks earned through booking expire after 12 months, while promotional Orbucks will expire according the details listed in the promotional terms.

The Bottom Line

Orbitz provides a number of attractive features, including resources, a rewards program, and a mobile app. However, there are some limitations to the company's rewards program. Further, there are a few concerns about the company's privacy standards.

1.2

Julie Firkins

June 11th, 2017 Orem, UT

i used orbitz to book a flight to a neighboring state, some how they lost my bags and because i used orbitz there was some confusion and i went the weekend with out my check in bags, next time i will go direct to the airlines

Doyal Stewart

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Orbitz from time to time while planning trips and have not always had the best experience. A couple of years ago I needed to postpone a trip and they made it extremely difficult. I essentially lost $1,300 and they were very unapologetic. I won't be using them again, too many other options to pick a company who didn't mind losing a customer.

Julia Nellis

May 18th, 2016 Tucson, AZ

In Feb 2016 I booked a trip (flight and rental car) through Orbitz. While booking the rental car I kept getting an error on the website stating that they couldn't process the transaction and to try again, which I did and kept getting the error message. Come to find out that even though I was getting the error message the system was processing the booking thus I ended up with 6 rental car bookings. I called and customer service said that they had deleted all but one car booking. a couple weeks later I was looking at my credit card statement and saw that I was charge by Orbitz for two rental cars. When I called customer service they told me that it was the rental car problem not theirs. I disagree because it was Orbitz on the credit card statement, not the rental car company, and it was Orbitz that took the card for payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was hung up on. I called many times asking for a supervisor and only received argument or they would hang up on me. I even tried emailing several times and the response was you have an active car reservation. I called Capital One to see if they could help. They called Orbitz while I was on the line and Orbitz hung up on them too. Capital One said that they would try to work it out with Orbitz. I went on the trip April 3-10, when I went to pick up the rental car the person there asked me about the second reservation, I explained and he said no worries he thought it was a mistake. Then I received a message last night from Capital one that Orbitz gave them 'evidence' that the charge was correct. I don't know what that evidence can be. How can one person drive two cars? The vacation has past and Orbitz can contact Budget and they can verify that I only took one car. I was charged $226.35 for something I did not want nor booked. At the beginning of this nightmare, I just wanted my credit card credited back for $226.35. I have wasted a lot of time, energy and emotion in getting a wrong righted. It bothers me that a company I have used for years is treated me like this, it is criminal.