Orbitz Logo

6.1

LAST UPDATED: April 1st, 2020

Founded in 2001, Orbitz is a travel service that helps customers search, book, and manage their travel accommodations. The company has partnerships with many different airfare and travel providers and owns many of its own brands, which helps to increase the number of affordable fare options available to customers.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Orbitz reviews from real customers.

Airbnb Logo
#2 Airbnb chevron_right
Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Resources
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Mobile App

Resources

As one of the leading providers of online travel bookings, Orbitz has created resources that help to make research and booking easy for travelers. The company provides aggregated data from thousands of sites to help travelers find the best values on vacations and stay on budget.

Features

In an attempt to make booking travel as easy as possible, Orbitz has developed a number of tools and features to benefit consumers during the planning process, including:

• An easy-to-use navigation setup that lets customers easily compare different travel options
  • A rewarding incentives program for returning customers
  • A mobile app that customers can use to book services and check itineraries
  • Options for staying at the top resorts, including Disney and MGM

Rewards Program

Orbitz has a travel rewards program that allows members to earn Orbucks, which is the company's own currency. One Orbuck equals one USD in savings on qualifying hotel bookings. The rewards program has three levels:

• Silver - Members receive 100 percent of the difference plus a bonus of up to 100 Orbucks
  • Gold - Members receive 100 percent of the difference plus a bonus of up to 150 Orbucks
  • Platinum - Members receive 100 percent of the difference plus a bonus of up to 200 Orbucks

Mobile App

Orbitz separates itself from competitors by not only providing a mobile app for Apple and Android users, but an app for Kindle Fire users as well.

The Bad

• Privacy Concerns
  • Reward Limitations

Privacy Concerns

There are some concerns about Orbitz and its privacy standards. In the past, the company has shared customer data, including credit card information, with other businesses as is articulated in its terms of service. Some customers have even reported that they were charged as much as $12 for memberships in third-party travel rewards programs that they never intended to enroll in.

Reward Limitations

Although Orbtiz does have a rewards program, not all products or services can be used to earn Orbucks. The following accommodations are not eligible for rewards:

• Non-qualifying hotels that are not prepaid
  • Activities and services
  • Car rentals
  • Cruises
  • Travel insurance

Consumers should also keep in mind that Orbucks earned through booking expire after 12 months, while promotional Orbucks will expire according the details listed in the promotional terms.

The Bottom Line

Orbitz provides a number of attractive features, including resources, a rewards program, and a mobile app. However, there are some limitations to the company's rewards program.

Further, there are a few concerns about the company's privacy standards.

View Best Travel Sites

3.5

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Orbitz is a top site that I like to look around while planning a trip. The site is easy to use, and it helps suggest things you would like. MY favorite is being able to filter through the different options to get exactly what I want like number of stars, price points, areas, etc.

Tera Layton, UT

I used Orbitz to book our family vacation to San Diego a couple years ago. I looked it cause everything we needed for the trip was right there from flights, hotel, car rental and activity packages. It was so convenient and easy to use.

Elvis Hazleton, PA

Ok so me and my wife we’re going on our honeymoon to Bahamas. We booked our flight a month in advance and the day of the flight the airline has delays which forced us to miss our connecting flight. So we called orbitz let them know what was going on and what they can do to help us. First we were on the phone for nearly 2hrs. Now let's start I ask is there a later connecting flight, put me on hold and say no. Then i go so if i go to Fort Lauderdale are you gonna give me a hotel room to stay in over night and get me on the next flight to Bahamas. They put me on hold again and come back and go no we can't accommodate you for a hotel room, you would have to get that threw airline. So i go ok are you gonna reimburse me for the hotel room in bahamas they go yes since you have insurance. Im like ok how much they go $78.11 my remark was like what i know i booked each night at grand hyatt for $275, so how are you reimbursing me $78.11. They go thats the rate. So i go ok can we extend one night since we losing one night and call it even. They put me on hold again. So they come back and go no we have to cancel your reservation and make a new reservation and they ask for a extra $600 on top for another day. Im like that makes no sense what so ever. So my wife calls hotel direct and gets room for $275 for a extra night. And i tell lady book me on next flight to Bahamas the following day at 6am and will get there at 9am. Will keep our reservation as is and will pay extra night directly to hotel. Orbitz didn't even try to help all they did was point the finger on everyone else but when it's time to get paid you best believe they get paid. There was no reason to cancel the reservation they could've easily just added an extra day. They couldn't reimburse me anything even with insurance. I asked to cancel the whole trip and they go we will have to charge you cancelation fee because its after 4pm. Im like are you serious we have been talking for 2hrs you haven't helped me in anyway and all you did was ask for more money and couldn't even accommodate me. By far the worst customer service i have ever experienced in my life. Will never book with them and I hope you all learn from my experience and not book with them either.

Julia Nellis Tucson, AZ

In Feb 2016 I booked a trip (flight and rental car) through Orbitz. While booking the rental car I kept getting an error on the website stating that they couldn't process the transaction and to try again, which I did and kept getting the error message. Come to find out that even though I was getting the error message the system was processing the booking thus I ended up with 6 rental car bookings. I called and customer service said that they had deleted all but one car booking. a couple weeks later I was looking at my credit card statement and saw that I was charge by Orbitz for two rental cars. When I called customer service they told me that it was the rental car problem not theirs. I disagree because it was Orbitz on the credit card statement, not the rental car company, and it was Orbitz that took the card for payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I was hung up on. I called many times asking for a supervisor and only received argument or they would hang up on me. I even tried emailing several times and the response was you have an active car reservation. I called Capital One to see if they could help. They called Orbitz while I was on the line and Orbitz hung up on them too. Capital One said that they would try to work it out with Orbitz. I went on the trip April 3-10, when I went to pick up the rental car the person there asked me about the second reservation, I explained and he said no worries he thought it was a mistake. Then I received a message last night from Capital one that Orbitz gave them 'evidence' that the charge was correct. I don't know what that evidence can be. How can one person drive two cars? The vacation has past and Orbitz can contact Budget and they can verify that I only took one car. I was charged $226.35 for something I did not want nor booked. At the beginning of this nightmare, I just wanted my credit card credited back for $226.35. I have wasted a lot of time, energy and emotion in getting a wrong righted. It bothers me that a company I have used for years is treated me like this, it is criminal.

Lilly F. Riverdale Park, MD

My first experience with Orbitz was good. I've booked our family vacation through this service. Will use them again the next year.

Julie Firkins Orem, UT

i used orbitz to book a flight to a neighboring state, some how they lost my bags and because i used orbitz there was some confusion and i went the weekend with out my check in bags, next time i will go direct to the airlines

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Orbitz from time to time while planning trips and have not always had the best experience. A couple of years ago I needed to postpone a trip and they made it extremely difficult. I essentially lost $1,300 and they were very unapologetic. I won't be using them again, too many other options to pick a company who didn't mind losing a customer.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

When I have used Orbitz I have found their site easy to navigate and the information helpful. I have not used Orbitz more, however, because I have found better pricing at other sites on occasion and I don't get the "points" or "mileage" from the hotel or airline when I book with Orbitz.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Orbitz does a good job with hotel and car searches. They have a lot of participating companies so I am able to find the accommodations I need at the price I need. It is nice that this is a free service.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We bought our airfare through here. Everything went fine until a hurricane hit the area to where we were going to travel. Unfortunately we were unable to change the flight and had to take a loss on the cost of the flights.

Maryayb Draper, UT

I just learned that American Express Travel uses this search engine and that our personal information was compromised due to a security breach. If you have used AMEX travel to book any travel in the last 6 months you have also been compromised and AMEX will pay for 1 yr of credit monitoring

Mike Tierney

Great . They consolidate information for destinations and activities very well.

David T Salt Lake City, UT

Orbitz has been a great company to use for finding good travel. They are easy to use.

Mhorne182 Eagle Mountain, UT

Booked a cruise on orbitz many years ago. The process was smooth and didn’t have any issues.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I had a great experience booking with Orbitz because they helped me plan my transportation, travel, and amenities.

Tony Riverton, UT

Used a number of times and seems pretty comparable to the other online travel price comparison sites.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

Orbits hasn't really been that fantastic for me. They haven't found deals or flights that have wowed me like other websites in their industry have.

Lorraine Black

Very easy to book and custimer service is readily available

Robert Harper

Very good rates. Most often best rate compared to otjer wensites

Bryan Jensen South Jordan, UT

I use them all the time. Ready to use and decent customer service. Great experience

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

I used Orbitz to get a flight and it was quick and simple to use and the pricing was fair.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

Orbitz doesn’t seem quite as user-friendly as some of the other travel sites I’d recommend looking elsewhere.