Kayak Logo

7.1

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021
Kayak, which is a subsidiary of The Priceline Group, began offering travel search engine services in 2004. The company offers global search services for a wide variety of travel options, including flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages. You can easily track cheap flights, travel, hotel search, and destination services all in one place. This takes the stress out of travel and booking flights, hotel rooms, and reservations. Kayak includes all of the travel information necessary for popular destinations, major airlines, cheap hotel rooms, vehicle options, and competes with online travel agencies.

Read on for pros and cons, plus Kayak reviews from real users.

Airbnb Logo
#2 Airbnb chevron_right
Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Information from Thousands of Sites
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Search Functionalities
  • Mobile App

Information From Thousands of Sites

In an attempt to provide travelers with the most reliable results, Kayak pulls information from thousands of travel sites and compiles them in a way that is easy to sort through and book. This travel search engine is able to prepare thousands of deals from thousands of websites including google flights, destination resorts, and other online travel agencies. This information is compiled into one database that makes it easier for consumers to gauge booking, hotel reservations, find the best price on vacations, and check airfare. Whether you are looking for basic economy deals, price checks, or international flights, you can find the most affordable travel booking, flights, and itinerary. Kayak takes into account pricing and reservations from airport and flights services, motel and hotel booking, transportation services like car rentals, and even last-minute flights changes. Kayak takes the pain out of planning and preparing hotel rooms and hotel search before your trip. In terms of rental cars, Kayak compares pricing with cheap car rental companies as well as luxury car rental companies depending on what you are wanting for your trip. Find the best car rental deals and vacation rentals that fit your needs. Renting a car can seem scary and hard, but Kayak takes the pain out of the process to rent a car. Kayak compares prices with companies like Avis and Hertz so that you can find the best options for your car rental booking.

Travel Accommodations

Kayak allows travelers to book their entire trip using its platform. For example, consumers have the ability to book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation bundles through Kayak. Additionally, the company provides a number of helpful tools and resources, including the following:

• Kayak Trips - Allows travelers to save search results, as well as manage and share their itineraries
  • Explore and Price Forecast - Travelers can track prices and stay organized in order to book at the perfect time
  • Flight Tracker - Track and receive notifications for flight price changes and check in for flights while traveling

Search Functionalities

There are several useful search functionalities on Kayak's website. Travelers are able to find affordable accommodations at some of the most popular travel destinations in the world by using Kayak's price and customer rating filters. Users may also filter based on location.

Mobile App

The Kayak mobile app, which has been downloaded over 40 million times, is available for both Apple and Android devices. The app is free and allows travelers to search thousands of travel sites at one time, receive alerts about price changes, and access mobile-only deals. Users can also use the app to manage their trips while on the go. The mobile app helps make flight prices tracking, flight booking, hotel planning, itinerary, and trips easier to manage in one place. Kayak will help you find the perfect place that you can afford to have the best vacation possible. Lose the stress when you search for an affordable hotel search. Kayak hotels can help you find what you need whether that is free wi-fi, pet-friendly hotels, or even luxury hotels. You find what works for your schedule and choose where you stay for the vacation.

The Bad

• No Unique Rewards Program
  • Website

No Unique Rewards Program

There is not necessarily an incentive for frequent travelers to continue to use Kayak to book their accommodations, as it appears that the company does not offer its own unique rewards program. Typically, travel agencies will allow travelers to earn points or cash back for each dollar they spent on various accommodations. However, it appears that Kayak does not offer its own rewards program or points system for those that use its site. This is unfortunate because points and credits can make it cheaper and easier to go on vacation and visit a resort or a city.

Website

Kayak's website seems to be a bit cluttered at times. There is a lot going on, making it somewhat difficult for users to navigate to important features and information. This can make it hard to keep track of price changes, flight booking, fare, and travel dates. If you consider using Kayak, make sure to engage with the website to get a feel for what you will be using. With a messy website, it can be hard to find a good last minute deal or last-minute flights and airfare that can make your trip cheaper.

The Bottom Line

Consumers can use Kayak's search functionalities to pull information on flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation bundles from thousands of sites. Travelers may also use the company's mobile app to book accommodations and view itineraries on the go.

However, Kayak does not appear to offer its own rewards program and its website can be a bit difficult to navigate at times.

All in all, Kayak may be a good travel booking site to consider if you want to book all of your accommodations in one place and don't mind the lack of a rewards program.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

Kayak is not really my go to website for travel searches, but I have used it and I wasn't extremely impressed with the website. The biggest con was the overwhelming amount of pop up pages. I didn't feel the site was very user friendly either. I was able to find some deals through the website, however, when using a competing website, I was able to find the same exact deals, nothing exclusive to Kayak. I suppose the site is hit or miss.

r vido Orem, UT

This 3rd party booking agency refused to give us over $4000 back that we spent on round trip international flights despite notifying them weeks in advance our inability to fly and despite also having purchased their flight insurance. They ruined my life this year.

Dave Spokane, WA

I've rarely used Kayak for shopping or booking, but their app is one of my favorite apps. I use it to keep track of all my trips in one place, both upcoming trips and past trips.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Kayak is so helpful for planning trips. I have found some very inexpensive flights and hotels using Kayak and I always use this site at some point when I am planning trips.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Great way to price compare and find great deals. Kayak deals mostly with reputable travel sites that I have had good experiences with. I never felt like I regretted the purchases that I made through their site. This is one of three such sites that I use.

Debbie Farrow ,

I love that you can set a potential trip reminder with dates and anytime the price decreases in airfare, you receive an email. It helps you stay on top of travel plans. I am always looking for a good deal with a large family in tow.

Ashton Rogers Fayetteville, AR

I have used Kayak to research flights for an upcoming trip to two different places! It is very user-friendly and it was very helpful for planning a trip with multiple one-way flights to my destinations and back home. I like how it has an option for the "best" and "cheapest" flight options which make it easy to make the best decision. I will deifinely be using Kayak in the future to research hotels for the trip.

Jaylene Holcomb, NY

Being that I am an avid traveler, Kayak has saved me so many times. It’s difficult to find quality hotels at an affordable price, but Kayak makes it easy. I am currently in the Dominican Republic, and it’s difficult for me to find places to stay since I don’t speak Spanish. Kayak has been SO helpful in helping me find cheap hotels. I am currently staying in a 5 star hotel with the BEST free breakfast, a pool, two hot tubs, incredible customer service, and a gorgeous view from my balcony. For only $20 a night!!!!! This would have been impossible to achieve if it weren’t for Kayak’s help! Their customer service is always available. All of the workers are willing to assist people in finding cheap places to stay, dorms of transportation, etc. 10/10 job, Kayak.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Kayak is a tremendous travel site aggregator. It allows you to combine sites info and gets you the best info possible by collating the internet for you. It is a great shortcut tool getting to better travel options, better pricing, better alternatives too. It is the best time-saver out there !

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

My favorite thing about Kayak, it that I can easily and quickly compare flights practically anywhere. I love to travel, so it's really helpful for finding cheap flights! It's also easy to use the site, you just input basic location information and within seconds you can find a good flight at a great price!

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

The Kayak app is my favorite for tracking flights, of all the apps I’ve used so far, like Kiwiw, Hopper, and Skyscanner. It’s free and it has the easier format to use. You are able to do things like look around the world for cheap flights, check the cheapest time to go somewhere, or look for specific dates. Once you have tagged a flight, it will tell you when the price changes. I’ve only given it four stars though, because the format can be user unfriendly at times, even if it’s better than other apps. And I I wish it had a way to set alerts for ANY cheap flights to a place, not just changes on flights I’ve tagged. Still, I find it a way easier way to look for flights than Google.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Kayak is my go to when purchasing flights and preparing for a trip. Great prices and easy to navigate online

David Glauser Salt Lake City, UT

Great service to find flights and hotels. Definitely recommend. The only problem is that airlines are much less likely to work with you if you go with Kayak.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Kayak is my go to search engine for comparing prices in various travel related fields. Love it for finding best deals on flights, hotels and even car rentals.

Nishita McLean, VA

Always on Kayak during holidays looking for best deals. Never fails have booked tickets endless times. Good flight deals, however, don't forget to look for them in incognito mode.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Kayak. I have found it to be a very useful way to search several flights through many different airlines. I have also used it to find hotels. Compared to other companies, I would definitely choose Kayak!

Victoria Fayetteville, AR

I have been using kayak for traveling for years! It’s so easy to use and it makes booking a trip super convenient. I used to try to do everything myself until I found this website and took away all the stress from traveling!

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

Kayak has been my go-to for finding prices on flights but there is some functionality in Google flights that makes it a little more user-friendly sometimes. I think it's the ability to see prices on more dates on a calendar than what you can see in Kayak, but it's been probably 6-8 months since I've used it last.

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Kayak really helps me narrow down my travel searches, love it.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Kayak is great at collating several online sources and pooling the info for best rates, locations, and availability of rental cars, hotels, and flights. It is one of my essential travel tools. Been using it for years and very happy with the search results!

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I like using Kayak to book travel because they are a search engine for travel search engines. There are so many out there now that it is nice to find one that keeps search parameters and checks them all. Sometimes, because there are so many possibilities, it can get a little overwhelming to dig through all the search results. It is a free service.

Jacob Shaner

This is my favorite travel site. I like being able to view different options and have my searches be automatically entered into other sites as well. I use this along with Hotels.com to book most of my trips. The website is easy to navigate.

Jason Spokane, WA

Super easy to compare travel deals and get all of your travel needs in one stop. Use Kayak for most trips I go on.

Alex Murphy Reno, NV

I love Kayak! I always find the lowest price here, every time that I search for a hotel. I have never had an issue with my reservations or bookings either.

Blake Wilcox Salt Lake City, UT

I like using kayak for price checkin from other travel website. I like finding the best prices that I can and kayak does exactly that. Their website is simple and easy to use.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

I like using Kayak because it compares the other travel sites for me so I don't have to. So I know where I am getting the best deal. I definitely always go here before I book my travel.

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

I often use kayak to compare flights . I love the multi destination option , as that is how I like to treacle abroad. It is so nice to see multiple airlines at once

Crystal Logan, UT

I like this site because it compares all of the different prices from several companies for airfare, hotels and car rentals. I go here first when I am planning a trip

Jessica Archuleta Riverton, UT

I just used Kayak to book a hotel to Park city Ut. We stayed at a Sheradon. It was very nice. We enjoyed the pool, hot tub and the fire pit out side. It was a great experience. I would use Kayak again.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

My brother in law who travels a lot told me to check out Kayak. I check Kayak every time I am planning a trip because it makes it so easy to find the best price and book a vacation.

AF ,

I like being able to search through multiple travel sites to see what is out there. Their website feels a little bit overwhelming to me with so much information! However, it's a great way to start a search and see/ compare places and prices.

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

Kayak is one of my favorite places to compare flights on, especially when looking at multiple airports. It also runs numbers for one way flights and combines different deals to get the cheapest prices on tickets.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I use Kayak quite a lot when booking air travel. I like the fact that it searches multiple carriers (with the exception of Southwest) and you can easily see the flight schedules for multiple airlines at once. You can filter our the times you don't want to travel, and adjust it easily. You can also book packages with hotels, etc as well. Love it.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Kayak works well when planning a trip with my family. It helps me all on one site get all of my assets and logistics in order from hotel, flights, and cars. Love planning a trip here.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I have tried Kayak a couple of times but never found their pricing to be better than other sites I have visited. I looked at their pricing for a trip to Canada I was taking recently and their air pricing was not as good as I got directly from an air carrier. They are easy to navigate so I will continue to give them a try because they do have a good reputation.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

Kayak has a great interface and I have loved using their website to see when I can fly somewhere and what the prices are. They are no longer my go to for finding flight prices but they are so user friendly and I love that.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

We travel as a family a lot and we always use kayak to research the hotels and book them through it. We get points that we can redeem at certain hotels. The website is easy to navigate.

Tracy Hill Draper, UT

We have been able to find some of our favorite activities and favorite hotels using Kayak so I would definitely recommend this to my friends and family! Great company! Very helpful!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Kayak many times over the years and they are able to compare flights, hotels, and car rentals over the industry and find the right fit for me. I also like their Lowest Price Promise.

Amanda Fairbanks Payson, UT

I love kayak! Definitely one of the easiest flight, car and vacation websites to use. Very user friendly!

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

I always go to Kayak to find cheap deals. But I feel like Kayak gets outshined by other travels sites like Expedia. I also wish the mobile interface was better for Kayak!

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I use this website as my go-to in booking travel plans. It's easy to get a number of options quickly.

yyzsfo Greenbrae, CA

I have used Kayak for years & generally have found it useful. However, my recent awful experience with a car rental via kayak, has led me to no longer trust kayak's referrals.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Kayak has been good to look up information for my next trip and I can compare hotels, or rental cars, or flights and I can do it all in one place. genius.

Lori Schwab Sandy, UT

We have been happy with Kayak. We have been able to find some good deals. I feel like they do a good representation of their deals. No misleading. No complaints.

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

I bought one ticket. It went smoothly. I wasn't surprised with any hidden fees. I used Kayak after hitting two other travel sites.

Dee Ashcroft Logan, UT

I use Kayak for all air travel and hotels. I love that it saved me putting in my dates destination and other information multiple times

Jessica Smith Parker Logan, UT

I travel a lot for work and I always go to Kayak first to check flights and hotels. They always have great prices and it is easy to use!

Keld Sperry Lehi, UT

I love being able to see what the best deals on hotels on a variety of websites. This is my go to app when we are traveling and want to get the best deal out there.

Dave_ Layton, UT

Their site is easy to use for both finding deals and booking. I have booked several trips through Kayak. They have good deals and I’ll book through them again.