Hotwire Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: April 1st, 2020

Hotwire was officially launched in 2000 and was one of the first online booking agencies to offer several different types of travel accommodations. Each day, Hotwire helps travelers save money by providing affordable, discounted rates, specializing in selling unsold travel inventory.

Read on for Hotwire pros and cons.

Airbnb Logo
#2 Airbnb chevron_right
Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Price Range Filtering
  • Network
  • Mobile App

Price Range Filtering

When Hotwire first started, it took a unique approach to travel booking. In order to help travelers save as much money as possible on various travel accommodations, the company came up with a new strategy. Traditionally, users would put in certain information to find possible vacation results. However, Hotwire made it so that travelers did not have sort through a number of brands or providers and instead could see accommodation results within their target price range.

Network

Hotwire's strategy is backed by technology that retrieves pricing data and information from a network of other travel sites and providers. The company offers a "Hot" feature that allows travelers to book a hotel, rental car, or flight without knowing the brand to receive a discount. The accommodation details will be released to the customer after purchase. "Hot" offers include the following:

• Hot Rate Hotels - Travelers can save up to 60 percent on hotel rooms
  • Hot Rate Cars - Rental cars can be reserved for as little as $10.99 per day
  • Hot Rate Flights - Travelers can save up to 40 percent on airfare

It is important to note that not all information is unknown prior to booking. Simply because a traveler does not know the accommodation specifics until after they book their itinerary, it doesn't mean that the traveler cannot set some specifics. For example, a user can mark in their search that they only want hotel rooms with a three-star rating or above. This keeps travelers from booking hotels that do not measure up to their expectations. There is also the option to search by brand if a traveler is not comfortable with the "Hot Rates," but discounts may not apply. There is a setting that users will have to initiate in order to see all information regarding the brand or chain prior to booking.

Mobile App

With more and more people managing multiple aspects of their lives from their smartphones, it makes sense to have a mobile app to help manage travel. Hotwire's mobile app has proven to be an added bonus for travelers. The mobile app, which is available for both iPhone and Android devices, is free to download. After downloading, users have the ability to book last-minute reservations and save hundreds of dollars. Search results populate quickly and users can instantly book hotels, flights, and even rental cars from their mobile device.

The Bad

• Destinations
  • Rewards Program

Destinations

Unfortunately, Hotwire is missing quite a few desirable destinations. While Hotwire does operate "globally," its network of over 173,000 hotels does have some limitations to it. Hotwire exists in a number of continents and regions, including North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia, but the number of hotels and operating cities is relatively average compared to other travel agencies. If a traveler wishes to travel outside of these regions, they are not guaranteed or likely to find accommodations.

Rewards Program

In order to keep users coming back time and time again to book their travel, one might think that Hotwire would create a rewards program. However, the company does not appear to offer a rewards program of any type. Some travel agencies will allow travelers to book their accommodations using their travel credit card or redeem their miles using the platform, but Hotwire does not even offer this option.

The Bottom Line

Hotwire offers price range filtering, a large network of travel sites and providers, and a helpful mobile app. The company also allows consumers to book accommodations without knowing the brand in order to receive discounts. However, Hotwire's available destinations are relatively limited and the company does not appear to offer a rewards program.

View Best Travel Sites

4.0

take7 Cheyenne, WY

Got a couple excellent travel deals flights from home to buffalo ny for football games. It was cheap and hassle free. The ticket agents were familiar with the booking company and the deal and were helpful. No problems with charges and reservations.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Hotwire is an excellent service that helps me find quality air travel. They book with the best airlines and I find discounted pricing on many routes and destinations. I fly a lot so finding an easy to use service in important. I reserve a lot with Hotwire as it generally helps me find deals pretty quick, saving time.

Reckholdt Draper, UT

We use Hotwire for a lot of our hotel stays. We have never been dissatisfied or disappointed in the hotel selection we have received. We always go with higher star ratings and it’s always been a great experience. We also have never had problem at check in, which I feel like with some of the other travel sights we tend to have issues.

Randy Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

If you are willing to not know what hotel you are staying at, the hotrate hotel deals are the best. They do give you an idea of the type of hotels you'd stay at. I've been very please with all the hotels I've booked through Hotwire. You can choose based on reviews and star ratings. I have never really been unhappy with the hotels I get. But, I love the discounted rate I get.

Joy Hill Pleasant Grove, UT

My favorite travel site for hotels. I love the hot rate hotels. I don't mind staying a mystery hotel when it is half the price of the other ones. As long as it has some good reviews, I'll try it.

David T Salt Lake City, UT

We have used Hotwire numerous times. Most of the time it is good but we have had a few times where they didn’t book the correct room for the number of occupants we had and they had to fix it while we were at the hotel.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

We have used hotwire a few times to book and one time had an issue with them not booking the correct hotel room to fit our family but they were willing to fix it.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We have rented our car through this site many times. They have great prices. The only thing I don't like is that you accept the price before they tell you what company you are committing to. You find that at the end.

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

I have used Hotwire to find the best hotels when traveling at low prices. Agents are kind and willing to do their job.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I have used Hotwire only for car rental searches. I have never ended up booking through them because their prices are always higher that other similar travel search engines.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

Hotwire hasn't wowed me like a few other companies in this industry have. They find okay deals, but nothing that has made me want to book through them.

Tony Riverton, UT

Used multiple times to find the best deal on car rental, flights or local hotels. Seemed to net good result.

Bryan Jensen South Jordan, UT

Used them to get a rental car a few mourns back. Super easy and they found me a great deal.

Karina Aguilar Managua, MN

hotwire offered me a hotel for $70 but when I got there they said they wouldnt acknowledge that price!!