Expedia Logo

Expedia

8.4

LAST UPDATED: September 13th, 2021

Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.4

Kori Travis FL

Expedia would find the best and cheapest flights that would get you to where you need to go. The site is easily accessible as well as giving you a lot of options to choose from

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I have used Expedia to book many flights and hotels. Their app is great! Their prices are great! And I like their loyalty program perks.

Jarrett Ingram Newport News, VA

Expedia is an excellent tool for me to use when planning trips. Very convenient to have best pricing for flights/hotel/car rental all in one place. Every place I have checked into has been just as advertised on Expedia, Its the only way I travel these days.

Meg TX

Easy to navigate website, and to compare choices.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Expedia is an amazing service for travel. I would say this is an awesome startup site for those beginner travelers, like myself. Traveling and planning trips can be an excruciating process but Expedia makes it easy. I planned a whole trip to Puerto Rico with the help of Expedia. You can book flights, resorts, cruises, excursions, and many more!

Karli American Fork, UT

We use Expedia to book all of our hotels when we are traveling. We've always had a good experience. They have great rates and easy cancellation policies and allow you to edit your trip if things come up as well. Great resource with tons of great options for travel.

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

Expedia offers may great deals on hotels and airline flights. I like how it compares deals from a variety of companies.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Great travel site. I’ve always found good flights and hotels when I had to use them for vacations. Not my usual go to but I’ve never been disappointed by the deals that I bought there.

Adam Simpson Provo, UT

I got a killer deal using Expedia for my honeymoon to Dana Point, Southern California. Highly recommend! Easy to use, good prices, very efficient for planning and securing a trip.

Freddy V Layton, UT

Everytime I’m on a business trip, my boss gives me the company credit card and I always book through Expedia. Their mobile app makes it easy for me to book hotels in a couple of minutes. I love it

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Expedia offers tremendous value in cost and time savings. They are an easy site to find cheap travel options with great travel brands. The site can be trusted with your personal info and the reservations are fool proof-no mistakes. Great online portal to use for travel planning.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We booked a vacation to Cancun through Expedia after lots of comparing. on websites. We were thrilled with the travel arrangements. The hotel was great. The flight was great. It all worked out perfectly and we loved the price we paid. It was a great value and we'd do it again in a heart beat.

Wendy

I have had the most wonderful and affordable trips through this amazing site. I book everything thru them and I have no worries of missing flights, no car rental issues and transport to my favorite hotel, when I visit back East.

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

Expedia is the best place to book your flights, cars and hotels all on one spot. The ease of navigation on the website is fantastic. Expedia offers a lot of options in various price ranges giving you the ability to find just what fits your needs and budget.

AJ & Maria Ferguson Riverton, UT

We travel a lot in state (Utah) for our daughters' mountain biking races. Expedia has helped find the best hotels for our budget and hotels that will accommodate our family of 6. They were great also when we all came down with the flu during a family vacation and had to return a day early. We were able to get a refund for our night we didn't spend at the hotel.

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

Booked a hotel through the site. At first I was a little worried but once I got the confirmation email and confirmation from the actual hotel it was great. When we arrived at the hotel there was an Expedia guy who was there to help us and tell us about what all our cost included and other ways to book excursions. Super great company to book through

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

I love Expedia! Over the past 3 years I have been in Utah while my parents have been in Alabama. I have had the chance to travel to visit them often, but getting flights has been a challenge. Expedia has been a wonderful tool for me. I have had it track flights for me and monitor the change in pricing to help me find the best ticket for me. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for tickets but does not have a large amount of time to spend on this. Great company. Great search capabilities.

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

I love using Expedia to compare prices when planning a vacation. It is nice to read reviews of different airlines as well as compare prices before booking a trip.

Kristen Gonzalez Logan, UT

We have used Expedia for our family vacations for the last 5 or so years. We like being able to bundle the costs of a trip into one set price. We also feel like it’s been cost effective.

McKenzie ,

Expedia is my go-to for all of my travel needs. The interface is so easy to navigate and user friendly. I also have had superb customer service when rebooking or canceling reservations.

Leeta Orem, UT

We always search Expedia first and have always been able to find what we need very quickly. Rates are reasonable and very competitive. Our needs are always met through their service.

Eric Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I like to price and plan our family vacations. Expedia makes it easy to see what we need to budget for our trip and if we can afford to take the kids or if we have to leave them at grandma's. It's really easy to see how much air and hotel will cost.

take7 Cheyenne, WY

It does what it’s supposed to do. It gets a bit crowded and I feel like too much info coming at me all at once but there are times when I do need all that. Reviews on there helps with searching too. Free and accurate service haven’t had a problem with using Expedia.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve used Expedia a few times for my travel needs. The site is very user friendly and it can set up your entire trip from airline tickets, to car rentals, to hotels, to transportation, etc...the even offer monthly payments to pay for your trips. I’ve been very happy with my purchases thru Expedia.

Brenda Horne Orem, UT

Expedia is where I always go when I put together a vacation package--flight, car, hotel. They have a user-friendly online format to see what is available, and their costumer service representatives have always been very helpful when I've had additional questions.

Garrett Mingus Provo, UT

I booked my honeymoon through Expedia and was very impressed with how much money we were able to save. By bundling airfare and hotel I saved money and the whole process was much easier then I was expecting. Really happy with my experience.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

We used Expedia for our recent vacation and loved it. The prices were very affordable and we loved all the extra add ons that came with us booking through them. They were very helpful and did their best to make our stay the most enjoyable.

susie Kaysville, UT

i have used expedia recently. and i loved it. me and my friends got some cheaper deals. and the service is so good too. we got some cool little excursions that came with it too and it was so nice to have those too. and very cheap too.

Haley Baldwin

I recently booked a hotel through Expedia and I loved it! My stay came with many added perks because of it and they got me such a great deal. They were also so helpful and their customer service was great. They checked on us throughout our stay. I will use Expedia again.

Sierra Beck Herriman, UT

I was on a trip and had to get a last minute hotel for the night. I was looking on a ton of sites and Expedia had the best value. It was late and in Las Vegas and so much was full but I was able to find a hotel and the booking process was simple.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We enjoy using Expedia for our travel needs. When we have a last minute trip I like to check Expedia because they seem to have the best deals for hotels. The reviews are people just like me trying to find the best deal out there. I've never been disappointed with the Expedia choices on their website. I would highly recommend this company.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Expedia many times, usually for a hotel, or a rental car. They have a great selection of options, it is easy to fill out what I am looking for and they also give you the ability to compare to other companies. when I booked through them, it is easy to pay and the price doesn't fluctuate and I trust that I will be taken care of.

Ethan Ahern Phoenix, AZ

I use Expedia to book flights. I find it very convenient and quick to book!

Mary Ella Hardy Charlotte, NC

We check Expedia first for evey vacation, so that is about two times a year. Best deals with them. Thank you

Jodianna Altamonte Springs, FL

I love expedia! I plan most of my travel destinations with them! I can book a hotel, flight, and car all through one app!

Christina Healey Provo, UT

Expedia has been great. Easy to see the package deals and comparables. I’ve booked through them and we haven’t had any problems.

Steve Walker

Easy to navigate and excellent updates. Give passenger flight rating. Complete reporting of the endless "extra" charges that come with today's carriers.

ken hedrick

Expedia is easy to use and has great prices. I particularly like their combo pricing for flight and hotel. Even with the combo, still have flexibility on choices.

Marco

The website is easy to use and well design. They always have daily deals available. You can find a flight, rent a hotel and even rent a car all in the same website.

Laura Howard

The website is easy to use. The choices are excellent. Never any issues once bookings were made. Great value for money. Easy to bundle and do package deals.

Wmosmith12 Smithfield, UT

I enjoy using Expedia. It is a good way to get lower price hotels and flights. I like the variety of companies they used to tell you what is a better value.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I booked a trip through them and got an excellent price on a hotel. I love that you can book everything on one site, the airfare, hotel, and rental car.

Ashley Ulibarri Herriman, UT

Expedia always seems to have the best deals and best hotels. I like that I can eat points and rewards when booking through them and booking through their app is so easy and fast.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

I use expedia whenever I plan on staying at a hotel when I travel. The prices are always the cheapest compared to other sites and I feel safe with the security of my information.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Expedia is an enormous asset in finding low cost airfare with quality airlines. I saw a mountain of choices when searching for personal travel options. Great search tool and easy booking and reservations.

Martha Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband and I travel quite often and we do use Expedia to help us find cheap airline tickets. I love how easy they make it to compare different airlines so that I can get the best price.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Expedia every time I am looking for a hotel, a rental car, a flight, and many other options for travel. They always give me choices and I can make a good decision with the facts at my fingertips.

Brooklyn May Logan, UT

Booked a hotel through Expedia and it was perfect! Very reliable and trust worthy. Got my confirmation number and it still went through to the hotel. Had no problems and it was cheaper.

Terra Stanko Hyrum, UT

Excellent website to book hotels, flights and excursions. Trustworthy company and easy to find what you are looking for. Adding different filters to narrow down your search. I love booking through Expedia.

Sarah Kaysville, UT

Love Expedia when I am looking for places to go. In fact just used it again to find an all inclusive resort. It is so easy because it’s all online and straightforward. And I trust it.