Expedia Logo

Expedia

8.4

LAST UPDATED: September 13th, 2021

Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.4

Agrevated Tampa, FL

Just got back from a long road trip. To book some of my hotels I used Expedia. Due to changes in my schedule I had to change some of my resorvations. Expedia was impossible to work with and I had to pick up 3 nights I didn’t even use. It took over 1 hr on Chat to change one booking. As I was waiting my phone rang and it was this forgin voice from Expedia asking me what I wanted. They asked me for my phone number?? I said you called me and they wanted my credit card the booking was made through. It was all very bizarre. After about 1 1/2 hr my reservation was changed but I was told it could not be canceled and I would have to pay anyway. I had 3 bookings that I ended up paying for that I didn’t use. For now on I pay more and book myself. No more Expedia

Phil Johnson Cranberry Township, PA

I booked a "transferable" trip USA to UK and paid $2,650. I had to cancel and rearrange the dates, and when I did the fare was $611 less. I was told the difference was only useable on the new booking due to the airline policy (Virgin Atlantic), so I asked to upgrade seats. I was told I would have to contact the airline directly. I did so and learned from Virgin that they had only been paid $2037 and the rest of my money remained with Expedia, and they told me "this happens frequently, and I would have to call Expedia to try and get a seat upgrade”. Expedia played dumb, and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, they held me on the phone for 44 minutes before dropping the line. Lies about "Airline Policy", and deliberate actions to pocket my remaining money. Never again Expedia!

Tim Mattson Bethlehem, PA

We used Expedia to book a room at a hotel with trip protection. We had an issue where we had to cancel our plans well enough in advance but Expedia made it impossible to reach someone that could help. We called, we sent emails, and we followed Expedia's customer service requests. They asked us to contact the hotel, we did, and the hotel told us to contact Expedia because they were the only ones that could help us because they have our money. Expedia purposefully creates a catch 22 so they don't have to refund your money for services they never provided. I will never use Expedia and highly advise others to never use them too.

Didodano Redmond, WA

Soon-to-be-bankrupt Expedia. Do not trust Expedia to stand by the customer. They have outsourced their customer service and only care about profits now. What a joke. Also, I've reported Expedia to the Department of Transportation. If you have any issues, reach out to the DOT and Expedia will get back to you in no time. Expedia actually responded in 6 hours. Record time. Wow!

Gary Garneau Jr Denver, CO

I cancelled our reservations right away and when I say right away it was within 2 hours of booking. Had to call around to the airlines and such to get things resolved. Still waiting for the hotel stay to be refunded. They are not helpful at all! Horrible customer service ever!!!!!! I didn’t realize it before but looking at the reviews I’ve realized I’m not the only one that feels this way! They are not helpful at all and even 1star rating is way more than they are deserving of. They do not help you with your issues at all. To get in contact with an agent you have to wait several hours and I’m taking 7hr+. I have called multiple times, with the agent ending the call before a resolution can be configured. Agents are rude. Agents end your calls. Calls are ended before even discussing a resolution. By far the worst customer service ever! Do not do business here. I have called and no one is available to speak with you! I waited and waited to speak with someone and asked for a call back when it asked if I wanted one through the automated system because it was going to be 7+ hours on hold. Still didn't get a call back. Went on vacation and came back still noting. It has been almost two months and finally called back again only to have to call the hotel figure out who I spoke with what they do there and if they are willing to credit me back for the stay that was cancelled right away, mind you when I called the hotel the first time they said that they do not charge you until you show up and pay them for they intended stay. Now Expedia is hold my money ransom until they do there investigation. Not right at all when it clearly was stated that if you cancel within 24 hours you get a full refund. They better get me my money back! Can not give less then 1 star I would if i could.

Michael Pistone Simi Valley, CA

I booked a flight on July 27 for and August 4th trip. Expedia said that I can change the flight anytime or cancel for a full refund 24 hours prior to the flight. I did change my plans and using the Expedia website on July 29th. When I looked, on July 30th, at my credit card I saw that they had not issued a credit to my Visa card for the flight that I had changed (and already taken). I called and spoke to someone and they said that I have booked a new flight and not changed my original one. I explained that I most certainly used their "change travel" web option (why else would it ask me for the original itinerary number. ). So I told her "whatever", since you have full refund cancellation if 24 hours prior, just cancel the flight and refund me. She keep telling me that I booked the flight on the 27th so I couldn't cancel. I told her several times that it doesn't matter when I booked it - I am cancelling well within the 24 hour prior period. She refused to refund my credit card so now it's in the hands of Visa - but I'm not paying for the flight that I changed on their site. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Expedia - just a horrible experience.

Jennifer Lang Charlotte, NC

Our flights were cancelled due to Covid and we have not been able to use the $1,000 in credits Expedia owes us. We have literally spent hours on the phone over 6+ months trying to use out credits. Even got an email from them telling us the credit balance. Two different times we've tried to use them. The flights would get booked and then two days later they show up as cancelled. They never call back when they tell you a manager will call you. It is just the absolute worst customer service. They are thieves and have stolen our money. The worst part is there is no recourse. I've read so many reviews with people having the same issues. Do yourself a favor and book directly with the airlines.

Elias Kurban Springville, UT

Expedia charged my credit card for a room reservation at hotel that was completely booked. When I arrived at the hotel and headed they were booked, they apologized profusely, immediately cancelled the booking on their end, and said to contact Expedia for a refund. I tried calling and chatting Expedia for 3 days, was put on long holds of up to 39 minutes, and was disconnected 4 times. Their virtual chat feature was a useless bot. When I finally got an agent on the phone, he was likely in the Philippines, had limited English skills, and a thick, hard to understand accent. He tried to tell me the booking was non refundable and he couldn’t issue a refund. I had to repeat multiple times that the hotel was already booked and Expedia erroneously made the reservation and charged my card. He tried to say I had to contact the hotel for a refund. I told him no, the hotel canceled it on their end and told me to contact Expedia. The Expedia rep then said he would need to email the hotel to verify that the hotel was booked and get a waiver to issue a refund. He said that could take several days. I was shocked—this is an online booking company in the 21st century and that’s the best they could do? I then conferenced in the hotel with the Expedia rep on the line. The hotel clerk confirmed that they had canceled the reservation 3 days ago and that Expedia had to issue the refund. Finally, the Expedia rep had to agreed to issue the refund. The Expedia rep had no answer for why they charged my credit card and booked me for a hotel that had no availability. Expedia tried to steal my money, and if I hadn’t conference called the hotel they would’ve succeeded. This was the worst customer experience I’ve ever had. I will never trust or use Expedia again.

Finley Twentynine Palms, CA

I had booked a flight with them six months ago, this flight was 'cancelled' unexpectedly and I ended up having to purchase a completely different set of tickets for a significantly larger amount of money. This was a huge bummer obviously but I was just happy to have a flight. Today, I got an urgent text and email from the company saying of of my connecting tickets had been cancelled and to call immediately if I still wanted to travel. Since I had done this process before I was prepared to sit on the phone to be able to get a new flight. The first time I called I was told there would be upwards of a 7 hour wait to speak to someone, I accidentally hung up & then immediately called again and was put on the line with someone. I stay on this call for a half an hour just to be told that my flight is cancelled and there is nothing they can do because there are no flights whatsoever to my destination in the days before or after my original departure. They tell me I can can call them back in 24 hours and maybe a flight will open up. I decided to check expedias website to see if i could manually find myself a new flight home, to my surprise there are an abundance of tickets to my destination & on my desired date, the only difference is that they are more than double my original price. I called the airline & the man on the phone very clearly told me that my flight has never been cancelled & that it is one of their most common flights and they run many per day. Basically saying expedia completely made up the cancellation. I think that this is an extortion scheme to get people to buy new tickets for more money, I also believe they lied about my original flight being cancelled & I fell for it. All in all, DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM THEY ARE EXTORTIONISTS AND SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED.

Liza Sotchenko Parkville, MD

Do NOT use this website! I KNOW its super convenient but IT'S NOT WORTH IT! I booked my stay with them for this past weekend. Upon arrival 5+ people were in a designated complaint area and while we were checking in two people beside us were also cancelling their rooms. The hotel was nothing like the pictures. There was urine, cigarettes, trash everywhere. The room had BLOOD, STAINS, HAIR EVERYWHERE!! As soon as my infant son touched the bed and I saw that I nearly threw up. I instantly grabbed my kids, went back to the check in and cancelled. They told me they cant cancel anything but the $30 fee and I have to do everything else through Expedia. Not only did I have to hold all together for over an hour but I also was DENIED A FULL REFUND because that's not their policy. I would of understand HAD the situation been different BUT NO! They want to penalize me for wanting A SAFE AND CLEAN ENVIRONMENT FOR MY PREGNANT SELF AND MY YOUNG CHILDREN?!?! HOW RIDICULOUS! I now have to wait 7-10 days for a refund which lord knows if I'll even get so now I'm out over $1000.

Olivia New York, NY

Scammers. The airline cancelled my flight and refunded Expedia. I called Expedia customer service many times and each time they promised me a full refund to my card with confirmation email within 24h of the call. No confirmation email ever came, and now it's 3 weeks later and I see flight credits have appeared in my account when they promised I would receive an actual refund and not flight credits. What's more, the $1000+ of credits are unusable when I click on them! Do not book anything through Expedia. They are complete scammers and the lure of a good deal is NOT worth it.

femmecreole1804 ss Stoughton, MA

Do NOT USE EXPEDIA Do NOT ever book any vacations, flights, hotels with Expedia. They have terrible customer service. They’re not based in the US. They’re in India. If you try to call them trying to change your reservation forget it. They will provide you with a bunch of misinformation. Do yourself a favor book directly with the airline and save yourself the headache.

abused customer Seattle, WA

You cant call someone there right now. Now they say iys harder to talk to person because more people are traveling so expect longer than normal wait times. It was impossible before anyway. The fact that they just want to take your money and not provide any help after that means this is a horrible company. Their website often sends you someplace else to get you to sign up for other things. Just now i tried to find the hotel i like and even typed the name of it in their search box and it will only show me the $495 a night hotels. This used to be an ok site but now they have done away with customer service and ruined their own site to where it noblonger works and they want you as a customer? It will not suprise me to see this company out of business in the next month or two And they should be. This is what happens when a business enacts so many anti customer policies like expedia has it call financial suicide. Will be a good day when these idiots learn their lesson

Naphtali Elise Campbell Louisville, KY

Booked 4 flights on June 1st @ 11:50 p.m. Called in to change and or cancel flights on June 2nd @2:30 after the messaging service told me I'd needed to discuss it with a representative. Was on hold for 1 hour 45 min before I took the call back option. NEVER Received a call back. I called in June 3rd @8:00 a.m. FINALLY got connected to a representative who informed me that since it had been past 24hours THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO! THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS STOLEN DUE TO A PETTY SCAM OPERATED COMPANY. Travel insurance is a joke. I purchased basic economy, and with those you can't change or upgrade your tickets. This company is filled with disgusting thieves and a script. I will never go through a 3rd party site again.

Lindsey Priday Eagle Mountain, UT

Expedia is terrible to work with! Do not travel with them if you can avoid it at all costs! We had booked a flight over a year ago, and we were supposed to travel back in August of 2020. I had a medical condition come up, and I was advised by my doctor not to travel. With covid, and my doctors guidance, I requested my flight to be cancelled and refunded. When I booked this flight, I was told that it was 100% refundable. Here we are nearly a year later and Expedia won't do a single thing for us! We have had the run around and been told that we would receive a refund on several occasions, but still have not received anything. These guys are scam artists, and will find a way to take your money! Do not travel with Expedia!

Donald N. Ricedorff Nipomo, CA

In my opinion, they should change their business motto to, "Company of lies and broken promises!" I have waited for months for a refund, after receiving confirmation from the airline that we would receive a refund n October 2020. In February after numerous calls, Expedia sent an email telling us that the refund had been approved, and we would be receiving it in 7-10 days. In May, after many more calls, they confirmed the refund was sent to our bank, which was a lie. Now it is the end of June and we still don't have a refund. The customer service department almost always tells me they will follow up and call me the next day, and it never happens. This week, I was promised that an individual was working on it, and to hold. She also told me she would call me back if we were disconnected. After being on hold for an hour, the call was disconnected, and I never heard back. Lies, lies, and more lies. I have never seen a more disfunctional customer service department. I hope someone senior in the company reads this post, because they will not be able to refute it, and perhaps they can change their business model.

Emma Blue Ann Arbor, MI

They cancelled my flight without telling me. They told me airline went out of business and issued me a credit rather than a refund but get this, I can only use the credit on the same airline, yes the one that went out of business. Expedia is crazy bad.

Nicole Fuentes San Antonio, TX

I booked a hotel with Expedia a month ago. Today I was checking it and couldn’t find it anywhere. Turns out my reservations were canceled a week ago and Expedia didn’t even send me a notice to notify me of the cancellation. Spoke to customer service a guy named Juan and he was absolutely no help whatsoever. So now here I am a week before I need the hotel looking for one because Expedia couldn’t have let me know beforehand and because Expedia apparently let’s you book hotel rooms that aren’t available in the first place. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH EXPEDIA, IT SUCKS.

Chris Sugar Land, TX

Be sure to read Expedia terms and conditions. You might not get refunded for a cancelation even if the hotel, airline, or etc offers one. It is better to use their site as a search and then go pay for the service directly to the provider. I rented a car then tried to cancel with Expedia. After several hours of being on hold I gave up and was charged. Even though I was at the counter at the rental car company they could not help me because I book through Expedia. Lesson learned for me and hope this helps someone else.

John P Norristown, PA

we booked a package of air, hotel, shuttle to mex june 7 to june 12. everyone was ok till we couldn't contact the shuttle company for a ride to the airport - 4 hour wait times from expedia to return a call - having to type in a 13 digit itinerary number just for them not to hang up on you. the shuttle company wouldn't answer the phone - did not pick us up from the hotel to the airport. after 3 days of annoying phone attempts figured just take a cab and get a refund but oh no....expedia emails back they won't refund because thats what the shuttle company told them. avoid expedia at all costs avoid the shuttle company 'mexico travel solutions'at all costs.

David Streit Pasadena, CA

I've used Expedia for many years but they have gotten worse and worse. I'm through with them! I booked a flight from LA to Cedar Rapids, IA that I had to cancel last year due to COVID. I booked the flight at the same exact rate as last year. My credit will cover the entire amount. However, when I went to apply the credit I received a message that I had to call them to apply the credit. I called and received a message that the wait was 2 hours! However, I chose the option to have them call me back. Two and a half hours later their system called. However, I had to hold for a good 15 minutes. The agent that assisted me was very nice but had to go through Expedia's process. First, they can not apply the credit to a current reservation? They canceled the reservations that I made but when they re-booked me I was informed that the price had gone up in the last 15 minutes!!! They would not honor my reservation. Asked for a manager. Was told no supervisors or managers work on Sunday (what!). On top of all of the above, the process for them to make the reservation and apply my credit took over 45 minutes. I'll use them to shop for prices but I'll never book through them again.

Zulma Williams Punta Cana, 22

When you book a vacation to a country you’ve never been, you trust the agency through which yate booking. Big mistake. I was looking for vacation packages to Punta Cana in the D.R. When I typed “Punta Cana”, I expected flights and hotels from Punta Cana, right? Wrong! As soon as I came out of the airport, I learned that our hotel was 2+ hours away! I had to pay a very expensive taxi which didn’t even have a/c. When I tried to contact Expedia, I was told that I knew what airport they were sending me. Yes, I did know the name of the airport but how in the world was o supposed to know that it was very far away! Of o book a trip in a package, I am expecting to fly to the same city as the hotel. No accountability whatsoever. Do not use Expedia at all!!!!

Natalie Bloomington, IN

Expedia has the worst customer service! You can just call the hotel directly with Expedia's rate and they will give it to you. Don't go through Expedia because if your plans change/get cancelled or if you have a bad experience and need a refund they make it way too difficult. It's ridiculous. It's so bad.

db Manhattan Beach, CA

HORRIBLE! They don't even deserve one star! They have terrible business practices! If you have a problem with a booking, you get the run-around as a customer and they try to pass on their mistakes to the vendors. Not ok! Nefarious! Use someone not owned by expedia. Worst. business. ever.

Bea Rashbaum Henderson, NV

How do you speak with a customer rep? They want a itinerary number all I have is a conf# they gave me. Cant get a live person. It's funny when I called to ask a question a person answered right away, now they have my number it goes straight to automated system.

Mc Zi Brooklyn, NY

I tried to buy air tickets with my credits .. Unsuccessfully. I spent 4 !!!! hours in telephone conversations and there was no result. The first assistant to answer the phone was drunk, chewing something and a party was heard in the background. The assistant understood absolutely nothing - in the end I lost an hour. The second Assistant was on the phone with me for an hour, and when we got to the payment, he just hung up !!! Then history repeated itself. Disgusting service. My family and I will never use Expedia again. Disgusting !!!

Brennan Barnes Olympia, WA

Leaving for Palm Springs in the morning, logged onto our Expedia account to get flight info so we can check in. Found out we have no flight home. Called Expedia and were told Alaska cancelled our return flight. Asked why we weren't notified and were told the cancellation was pending. Asked what they were going to do about it and they said they would refund us our $140. To book a one way flight on another airline at this point will cost over $800

Lorena L Jacksonville, FL

Worst experience ever would never ever book via third party ever again. My grandma died I’m trying to use the credit for my aunts flight but there is nothing available and the things that are available are double the actual price on the airlines website they are literally charging a whole new flight so what is the point of the credit. Trying to call is impossible I called Friday at 7pm was told the hold time was 4 hours and was give a call back option received call Sat at 6 am and was just a horrible experience. Never ever again.

Veronica Santana Somerville, MA

There are two issues I want to report about Expedia: 1. A hotel booking confirmed on Expedia's end with constant reminders to me through my email about the trip, did not actually go through to the hotel. The hotel was able to book me another room, but the room we booked was why we were at that hotel in the first place. 2. Expedia's website misleads customers into thinking you can email them to report an incident, but the customer support pages are an endless loop with an email never listed. I can only assume, due to Expedia's size, that this is to de-incentive customers to escalate complaints to them by forcing you to call them (which is then its own gauntlet of being on hold). Issue 1 Expanded: I booked a stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel for April 10th-11th. The day before my trip I messaged the hotel through Expedia to ask about checking in earlier, if possible. The next day I was messaged back asking for a last name for the reservation. That seemed odd, since I was messaging them through my booking on Expedia. I then received a call when I was already in Portland that there was no reservation under my name, and that something happened on Expedia's site with my booking not going through. The hotel offered me another suite, but it did not have the amenities that had me book with this hotel in the first place. It was incredibly disconcerting to get a voicemail while already in Portland saying my room was never booked. I had been receiving messages from Expedia reminding me of my upcoming trip for weeks. And even in the relief of the hotel offering me another room (and a discount), it defeated the purpose of having chosen this hotel to not have the room I booked. The hotel is blaming Expedia, and I can't verify who fault it is because Expedia chooses to not actually list their email when they say they can be contacted that way. I now have to give Expedia more of my time and energy, because they refuse to actually provide a service. It's nonsensical that Expedia markets itself as being an easier way to book travel, when you can't even trust your reservation will go through and then have to go through the ringer just to have the matter dealt with. There is no pointing in using the site. The hotel actually said to me "It's good you messaged us about checking in earlier." I then had to think to myself, "Wow, we may have been stranded in Portland Maine with no where to stay, or after having paid for a room, paid for whatever was available somewhere else." This was a short weekend trip for my partner's birthday, after a year of not traveling. We thought it would be nice to ease ourselves into travel through a trip to Portland. Instead, our short time was taken up sorting out whether we even had a place to stay. And now, even after the trip, I am dealing with the stress of Expedia's either incompetent or duplicitous website not providing the email it is supposed to have.

Garrett Martin Austin, TX

DON'T BOOK 1ST CLASS WITH EXPEDIA - YOU WILL REGRET - Booked American Airlines 1st Class ($6k for the tickets, 3 hr flight) - no miles, paid full freight, same cost as AA website, thought it would be easier to book through expedia. - Made 1st stop in Dallas from Austin - Gate agent, when we were trying to board the plane: 'Unfortunately expedia did not confirm your first class seats, so ... you have a problem. We may be able to offer you seats in coach.' 20 min later after the flight was full, they 'squeezed us in - SORRY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE BOOKED THROUGH EXPEDIA.' - FUNNY WHEN WE BOARDED THE FLIGHT, several AA employees sitting in first class. I'm guessing they did not book through Expedia. P.S. - Called customer service. Waited on hold for 30+ min. Blamed me for not working it out with the AA gate agent. Asked to speak with supervisor. Called me back at 2 AM. Sitting on hold now with Expedia for ... 45+ min ... THINK AGAIN if you are booking with Expedia, you will be 'worst' class treatment.

Noahespinola Boston, MA

I booked a $177 hotel room, but accidentally had to refresh the checkout page due to network issues. I did the booking again. I then checked my credit card and saw that I got double charged, I only received one booking confirmation. I called them and they said it is because of the refresh, but that the double charge was not showing up in their system, the customer service guy assured me and told me to "trust" him. I then called my card company and they opened a claim and refunded me, telling me the only way I would get the charge put on my card again, is if they disputed the claim, which I thought improbably since the dude told me that they had not double charged me in their system. Low and behold, they dispute the claim, saying that the double charge was legitimate, and I had the double charge put back on my card. I am currently on their customer service lines, angry and frustrated, having been on hold for a long time. Don't use this company, there are so many less shady options out there. I hope this helps someone avoid a situation like this.

jim w Union, NJ

After making and paying for a reservation I was told no rooms available. I was never refunded from Expedia . Many phone calls later I gave up. I called my credit card company and got refund. I WILL NEVER USE EXPEDIA AGAIN

Johnny Charlotte, NC

Absolutely horrible customer service. Booked a hotel on the wrong date by mistake. Had a week before the check in date on the wrong booking. Tried to cancel immediately and they would not refund. Called customer service and they stated that the hotel had to refund me. But the hotel stated they had nothing to do with it. My bank shows that expedia has the money and not the hotel. They lie, and it takes hours to even get customer service on the phone.

Kathleen Orton Tiverton, RI

During the pandemic our flights and hotels were canceled. Full refunds were approved by all, but Expedia stole our money and refused to refund it. They told us lie after lie and their customer service lies, hangs up or keeps you on hold for days until you give up. I joined a couple of Facebook groups for people who were being robbed by Expedia and there are thousands, all over the world. This company is deceptive and dishonest and people should never trust them with their money.

Florence L Louisville, CO

I never had issues with Expedia for years until the past 2 years. They scammed me out of $1,100 in February 2020 for a trip to Bali set for March 2020 that I had to cancel. The airline, who had a full refund policy due to Covid, told me that all Expedia had to do is submit a specific ticket refund code related to Covid refunds for them to be able to issue the refund to my credit card. Expedia meanwhile claimed they didn't have to do anything (that was a lie, I found evidence that they needed to submit a code). We did this for 3 months, back and forth, literally having three-way calls between the airline and Expedia and listening to them arguing with each other. In the end, I gave up because it wasn't worth compromising my mental sanity, but I lost $1,100 over this. Then last summer, I booked a trip to Hawaii for January 2021, but as the pandemic got worse, I decided to postpone it. They gave me a credit but I later found out that this credit only applies to domestic flights and I can't even use it towards the domestic leg of an international flight. I called the airline and they told me I could book it for any flight anywhere in the world. Expedia once again lied to me. And if that's not bad enough, every time I browse flights and go to check out, it more than doubles the original quote of the ticket. I called them and was told that's not possible, it must be a system glitch. BS! I've been checking rates everyday for a week and every single time it's more than doubles the rate upon checking out. This entire website is a major scam. I am done with them. I'm going to delete my account. Expedia needs to be put out of business.

fernando pacheco piñeyro Miami, FL

Expedia is a terrible travel agency. My personal experience is that they are taking advantage of the existing epidemiological situation by selling travel packages that customers will never enjoy. Once the customer buys them, they have to be changed several times because they canceled the flights. They do not return the money for the flight; they retain it as a credit. I have been on that odyssey for more than four months because I bought a trip to Canada for November, and I have had to modify it more than six times because, according to Expedia, the "airline" constantly cancels. This is the height that I have not yet been able to travel, and Expedia is playing with my money. The customer service is despotic, and without any interest in doing their job, they leave you long hours on the phone, without giving you a solution (in the best of cases). Usually, after a while, they cut you off the call, and you have to start over to managing the problems that Expedia has caused you. If you ask for a supervisor, there is never one available who can help you. In short, it is a terrible agency that does not respect its clients. I don't want to make reservations through Expedia again.#expedia#badtravel#terribletravel

Martin Benitez Jr. Denver, CO

Expedia cxl my hotel reservation in error and now expect me to pay double the original price for an error they made when I called customer service to ask about my flight and no mention about the hotel. The agent just cancelled it at free will and now they are forcing me to purchase the same hotel at $1,079.00 when I originally paid $530.00 but consumer has to pay the price for their error not mine.

Aaliah Walthamstow, WFT

I booked a very expensive package trip via Expedia to Bali in April 2020. I spent over £5000 for a 12 day trip. However due to COVID, the holiday was cancelled. Although I received a full refund for the hotels that I was due to stay at, Expedia are refusing to refund me £2770 for the airline tickets with Qatar. I have contacted Qatar directly who have advised that I need to go through Expedia for the refund. I have been battling with Expedia for the last 7 months who keep telling me that my case has been dealt with and that the airline has already issued me with airline vouchers which is not the case. I am now pregnant and am unable to travel yet anyway and despite telling Expedia this, they are still refusing to refund my money. I would highly advise against booking with Expedia as they will not refund your money for cancellations out of your control. They’re also not very good with dealing with and/or resolving issues. I can’t stress enough - please do not book with Expedia.

AJ Hoboken, NJ

Understand the extraordinary times; but the customer service I've received at Expedia has been extraordinarily bad. This year (2020), I had three package trips and a pair of flight credits on my Expedia account. The trip packages cost over US$4,000 and the flight credits were just under $800. Once COVID-19 hit and travel was shutting down, Expedia did nothing to attempt to obtain refunds for our cancelled flights. In fact, in retrospect it seems like they actively discouraged people from receiving refunds for flights and the delay makes it unlikely that those losses will ever be compensated. The hotel stays for those packages were refunded, but almost a month after the originally planned stay. The 2 flight credits were due to expire in May 2020, but we couldn't use them for obvious reasons. An Expedia rep told us that credits' validity would be extended by a year into 2021. When we tried to use the credits this past October 2020, we were told that the credits had expired. The credits are showing as usable in my Expedia in my account, even now (Nov 2020); but they are not usable unless I call Expedia and, when I called I was told the credits had expired. We requested a company investigation. Today, I received a terse email from Expedia that they cannot continue their internal investigation as to how we were told the flight credit validity would be extended and to call them again to reopen the matter. No explanation. It's a strategy to wear customers down, plain and simple. For us, it's almost $800 up in smoke. The real issue here is that there is no accountability. Expedia blames the situation on the airlines and the airlines blame the situation on Expedia. During 2020, we had other flights booked with airlines directly and those have been refunded/recredited with no problem, so I think that the Expedia reps are lying and the company has made the decision to let customers take the loss from cancelled flights. I have made more calls and tried the instant messaging service on Expedia more times than I can count, but I have communicated with this company at least 10-12 times to try and get some value for the packages I have booked on Expedia that were impacted by the coronavirus. Customer service there is unpleasant and unhelpful. Would recommend avoiding them and using other travel tools to make arrangements. Particularly with flights, Expedia will not help you if something goes wrong.

Jacob Bernardi ,

We had to cancel our flights because of COVID-19 causing travel complications. Not only would Expedia refuse to refund us any of the flight, but the only compensation they offered was in travel credit. We were eventually able to find a new flight to thankfully use the travel credit, so we gave them a call only to be put on hold for upwards of an hour. a new flight was eventually booked (at double the price listed on the airline's website) but come to find out the ticket the agent had "reserved" was never actually booked in the first place, leaving us stranded at the airport. Terrible service, and I will never be booking a single flight with them again.

Mark Polley Toledo, OH

Awful company they canceled my hotel with no notice. I had rebook at a higher price and they wouldn't even match my first price.

Fadia Beiz Dearborn Heights, MI

Bad customer service, they tell people lies after lies, they make you wait hours to speak to a representative, and they don’t fix the issue. Please stay away from Expedia.

Randy Larkam Carson City, NV

We had a booking issue with Expedia and they did not follow up with us as they stated so our issue was not resolved. Terrible customer service! Stay away!

Titus Holman Layton, UT

So, my wife and I book our rental car through Expedia on our last trip to Brazil. We arrived to the rental car agency approximately 1 hour after our scheduled arrival. We were subsequently refused the vehicle by the rental agency and told our reservation was cancelled. We were told that we could reschedule through Expedia. So, we called Expedia while standing in the agency lobby. We were told they couldn't reschedule or cancel the reservation. We asked for a refund because we were not receiving the service we paid for. A few days later we received an email that they couldn't reach the agency, which we never had any problem doing, and therefore were refusing to issue a refund. I spoke with a representative at Expedia that agreed that we had not violated their policy, but was still refusing to issue a refund. So even though we did everything the way we were suppose to, Expedia still refused to stand by their own policy and issue a refund. Safe to say I will neither use Expedia again, not will I ever recommend it to anyone other than the people I hate.

Bob New Windsor, NY

Made airline reservations and have twice been changed ( time and airport) by the airlines weeks before departure. No emergency situation of weather related problem cited.. Expedia has no say in what can be done re compensation or other considerations for the inconvenience and time to adjust our own travel plans. Now you know if you or I made as many changes we would be paying hundreds in penalties. What i have learned is that Expedia is simply a middle man with no bargaining power or leverage to protect and serve customers from the airlines' own abusive power to shift passengers around for their own business interests. Better to book with the airlines. Join their loyalty clubs and deal with the airlines directly. You may have a better chance of being helped

marva layne Concord, ON

Expedia enabled booking of a cottage on their website that was not available for rent. The family with three children under 5 and an essential worker booked one week at the cottage only to find out by coincidence from the owner of the cottage that they told expedia to remove the cottage and they did nothing about instead continue to take bookings for the cottage. Expedia customer service was very bad, they keep hanging up on me everytime I called them to get a resolution. In addition, the owner said Expedia sent 3-4 or more families to the cottage and each time they were turned away. Expedia did not offer any compensation for disappointing the family. BE CAREFUL RENTING COTTAGES FROM EXPEDIA AS YOU MAY GET DISAPPOINTED JUST AS THIS FAMILY DID.

Mike Portland, OR

This is easily a 0 star company. I have used Expedia for years. Gold member actually. Never had to many issues, but since this Covid epidemic they seem to be doing nothing. Maybe their company is struggling and they are trying to steal from as many customers as they can that don't stick out with complaints. I booked a large Europe trip at the beginning of 2020. Over 5000 for 3 people for over a month. Covid hit later and the troubles began with this company. Granted I did get some refunds BUT, these are not the hard labor result of Expedia. This was due to the original company's canceling flights, shutting down hotels or allowing people to reschedule their trip, a pretty ethical solution. For example, my hotel in London noted that since the ban on Americans occurred they cancelled all booking and gave out refunds, you could rebook and all rebookings came with a no charge booking change for further issues. Expedia may take credit for those results but don't be fooled, its 100% at the ethics of the hotel or flight company. I had 3 bookings where, after hours with a damn robot answering my questions I got an automated answer of sorry, not within the hotels policies to change or refund. Obviously in January those are normal bookings, the world has crumbled since, America in particular as well as the EU set a ban on Americans from entering the EU, still the EU has no say of the decision of a hotel I suppose. I have left multiple reviews on multiple sites including several complaints on BBB. I hope Expedia takes a hit financial as the free market should dictate crappy companies get crappy results. Somehow with a monstrous decline in travel all throughout the world, their stock fell to 45$ to currently today 84$. Either inflated or bailed out. I don't see how a company can add billions to their company in a few month with no a fraction of the business. Rich B, Barry D and some random guy buying them coffee, I hope you have a sincerely terrible year full of lawsuits, fines and a papercut.

Thi L ,

Due to COVID-19, I was unable to travel overseas due to travel ban restrictions. I booked a non-refundable accommodation back in 2019, the accommodation stay date was in June. Expedia claims they have their own policies and it states on their website that I am eligible for a full refund or voucher. I requested a full refund. I could not cancel due to the website glitch so I requested Expedia company to cancel on my behalf. I have attempted to contact the hotel myself but it has been closed since April and still are currently closed. The Expedia agents confirmed the company still currently has my money as the transaction to the hotel has not been processed (due to the hotel being closed). It’s been an ongoing 4 months of trying to get my full refund contacting via email and calls. They continuously delay and tell me to wait further and they will get back to me - this is a lie and again, I have to contact them to follow this up. Added photos of Expedia’s claims/policies for my current situation. But Expedia is unreliable and not credible. Do not book with this company.

Grace Bergenfield, NJ

You would think that they have their customers in mind during this worldwide pandemic. Nope! I had a coupon from my canceled April trip (due to covid). I used it to book a room but then later had to change the dates. I press the cancel button and choose the option 'I have to change the date' because I had to work around with the dates and type of rooms because I had to match the credit amount. After playing around with the options, I try to re-book, but I couldn't because my coupon was gone. I call and wait half an hour to finally speak to someone. They tell me once you hit the cancel button, you forfeit your coupon. I ask nicely to give me back the coupon. "There's no way we can reinstate it in our system". I ask nicely to then give me expedia credit. "The system doesn't allow me to give you credit" I beg them, tell them I can't afford to lose $545. They don't care. Make sure never to cancel a coupon because you can only use it once people!

Aslihan Demirkaya Moraga, CA

I am an Expedia customer for the last 15 years. I bought two way tickets 5 months ago and paid $1,499 and because of COVID 19, the return was was cancelled. I did not reach Expedia for 2 months but I got an email saying that I would get the refund! I called them today, waited for 1 hour, couldn't reach anyone. Then I contacted a real agent online and he told me that I got $0 as a refund! I am very upset that Expedia turned to be a scam company and did not care about their customers. Then why should I ever use Expedia again? You give "silver", "golden" names to your customers but the only thing you care is the money. This is not how the business is done! I will let everyone around me know how Expedia stole half of my money. They owe me $750 and they don't pay back and they don't care! Thank you Expedia! You lost me and you will loose tons of customers!