Expedia Logo

Expedia

5.4

LAST UPDATED: May 14th, 2022

Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.3

throw away Walnut Creek, CA

I needed to cancel my hotel reservation because firstly I reserved a room with a bathtub which i need for a disability i have and they changed it to a room without a bathtub and then after that my flight was cancelled by the airline so i couldn't stay at the hotel anyway. expedia kept giving me the runaround about the refund. they say it's up to the hotel to approve but i contacted the hotel weeks ago and their third party department said they approved the refund and contacted expedia to process it but that expedia would not reply to them and yet when i contacted expedia they kept claiming they never got any messages from the hotel despite all evidence to the contrary, multiple emails from the hotel department with contact info and everything. one day at 1 am i got another email from expedia again falsely claiming they didn't get the information from the hotel in order to refund it but that they would contact me in 8 hours at the latest with an update, but when i reminded them i had told them many times that the hotel did approve the refund and provided the emails proving it, they simply never replied, even 8 DAYS after they said they would. I had to dispute the charge with my card since expedia completely stopped acting in good faith and stopped all communication past their own deadline they set and wouldn't refund my reservation despite their own requirements they set being met. then the real kicker, after my dispute was of course decided in my favor, I finally got a response about my refund from expedia which just said "Thank you for contacting Expedia with regards on your refund request with Bellagio. Due to your dispute on your bank we highly request you to contact your bank directly for your refund request." wow! i never heard such a thing! they just want customers to file disputes rather than they refunding it themselves! I'm guessing the company puts punitive action against the customer service agents when they process refunds, even if those refunds are legally required or meet expedia's own conditions for refund!! this should not be. they need to get their house in order! until then, do not book with them! even if the prices are cheaper, it's not worth it, especially if you need to get your refund in a timely manner, because they will literally make you dispute it with your card rather than process it themselves!!

David Ray Loveland, CO

Expedia refused to refund me for a canceled flight (pandemic reasons) instead they gave me flight credits with an expiration date during a pandemic when travel was ill-advised. I asked for an extension because I didn't want to travel during a pandemic time. Instead, they misdirected me to American Airlines to resolve the issue – AA responded after the expiration date and directed me to go back to Expedia for an extension. CONSUMER BEWARE – My travel credits are gone and so is my money. Thank you for stealing my money with bureaucratic delay tactics – well-played, Expedia and American Airlines. NEVER doing business with Expedia again.

Steve Schulz Aurora, CO

Five hours it took to cancel a one night reservation with a hotel that was booked on the wrong night Tried to cancel for three hours online but they couldn’t locate the record with the virtual Ass sistant and when I tried to call I would get her recording that says it would be an hour but they would call me back but they never did despite leaving that request three times. I called again of the evening set an agent would be there within two minutes 35 minutes later I was in contact with a human. Five hours later. The way to do it is look at Expedia to see how the rates are and then call the hotel direct tell them what Expedia is doing and can they do it also. When you need to make a change I need some help do you want to go to the hotel you never ever want to go to Expedia. The DMV could teach them a lot about customer service

Ed Alexander Calgary, AB

I was going to Calgary for my Nephew’s wedding. I booked my flight MONTES in advance. Few weeks before the wedding they cancel the flight to Calgary and gave me another choice which was not that convenient but I took it. Couple weeks before the wedding I realized they have a more convenient flight but they refused to change. On the day of the flight I received another message that they changed my flight again and I had to find an alternative so I wouldn’t miss the wedding. In the way back I discovered that they canceled my entire trip without a refund because I didn’t take the flight from Washington DC to Calgary. Therefore my entire round trip was canceled without a refund. I can understand canceling one way from DC To Calgary but why they canceled my trip back to DC and refused to give me any break. They took my money and gave me nothing. I booked the trip on Expedia which was just as terrible and didn’t offer me any help. This is the definition of highway rubbery

Brandon Mercado San Antonio, TX

Booked a flight, purchased the 'travel protection' and then had to cancel 4 days before the flight. Turns out the 'travel protection' is actually a narrowly defined 'travel insurance' without any eligibility for a refund of the fair. This is a deceptive and predatory business practice. To add insult to injury neither Expedia or AIG Travel Guard (the Insurance Co) have adequately trained staff to clearly navigate this issue and provide any level of acceptable service. Truly a disappointment from organization that projects itself as a market leader.

karanjot kaur Brampton, ON

I want my refund of more than 700$ waiting from 4 months. I booked my flight in Nov 2020. Few hours before it cancelled by airline. Expedia promised me to give me refund back . It never happened till today. Custmer service deserves negative star. Government should take some action against them. They dnt have any right to do fraud. I booked my ticket again in 2500$

Daniel Mitchell Manchester, MAN

Really don't know where to start with Expedia, these guys are a terrible Business with little to no 'Genuine' interest in customer service or empathy. The back end of 2021 we had a really nice place booked for weekend but sadly caught covid. Being honest and genuine people, we contacted the hotel in question and Expedia to advise them of our condition. Expedia initially recommended a refund or amendment, but as we really wanted to go we opted for an amendment.... this is where is started and continued to go terribly wrong. Put into perspective, have 16 contact periods between December and March to try and get an amendment. The hotel in question was pitiful, and a second review will follow. But Expedia were just not good enough! I am out of pocket with absolutely no contact whatsoever. Will be reporting this to consumer affairs. The most laughable part to this, is their affiliation with feefo to highlight 'genuine reviews'... these are about as Genuine as Vladimir Putin!!!

david H Allen, TX

Booked a trip to London in November 2020 and had to cancel due to Covid but I was assured by Expedia customer service that I would get flight credits but I had a year to use them. They don’t tell you that it’s a year from the original purchase date so I only had 4 months to use them. Now came the worst part… trying to book a trip using those flight credit’s! I spent literally hours on the phone over three days trying get my trip booked. Expedia would tell me to call American Airlines and they would tell me to call Expedia. Expedia wanted to charge another $4000 for just the flights on top of my $3200 flight credit. In the end It was cheaper to rebook the entire trip not using the credits which I did. But that $3200 is just gone and Expedia couldn’t care less. This trip will be the last time I will ever use them and I will trash talk them to anyone that will listen!

Jennifer B. Nashville, TN

Horrendous outrageous service. Never never never use expedia. And watch closely for their fraudulent methods of obtaining customers via you getting re routed to Expedia from another site. If you book Expedia your money is immediately taken and then if have ANY problem whatsoever it won’t be solved (and you will never see a refund) using their horrible Bot chat system or by their equally terrible “customer service” number assuming you can dig and find it because they will run you around for days weeks months and read from a script until you’ve ruined your own vacation and finally you give up which is what they want.

truvkngfan Minneapolis, MN

Of the reasons that you may have heard to avoid booking your vacations through Expedia, let me give you one more, All in all, after 3 attempts to resolve this with Customer Service, I would suggest avoiding Expedia in any of your travel needs. Whatever ease you think you get from searching everything in one location, you will pay for 10 fold if something goes wrong. My wife and I decided to book a cruise for November of 2021 for the 2 of us and our stepson. We booked the airfare for the cruise through Expedia.com. After hearing of increased Covid restrictions and a change in flight time by Delta, we decided that this type of vacation wasn’t a viable option for us. Expedia gave us airfare credits to be used in the future for the flights. In January of this year we decided to use those credits for a flight to Orlando leaving Minneapolis on March 17th and returning on March 20th. This past Friday (March 4th), we logged into Expedia.com and noticed we still had over a $300 credit per passenger that had to be used by August 9th. No where did it say that these credits were already being used for our Orlando trip. We decided to book a trip using these credits to Los Angeles in July. This is a trip we would have never booked if we didn’t have the credits to do so. On Saturday we logged back into Expedia.com to find out that our Orlando trip no longer existed. This is a trip that we have already rented a house and car for. A trip that was supposed to happen 12 days from then. I called Customer Service and after getting the run around from Level 1 I was finally transferred to a supervisor (at least that is what I was told). The supervisor could do nothing to resolve this. I wanted my trip to LA cancelled and the original trip to Orlando back on my account at the original cost. I was audibly upset after 1 hour and 10 minutes and the supervisor I was speaking it told me it’s obviously I don’t want her help. I did want her help, however she was not able to help me. Her choice of words were poor at best. She also went on to say that they “Always suggest you call Expedia to use credits” She kept repeating this phrase as if it was some sort of protection for her and Expedia. The truth is, not once was I told that. Not by any representative, nor the website prior to me booking the unnecessary Los Angeles trip. This morning I began Customer Service chat with a representative Galal on Expedia’s website. Her lack of understanding was unbelievable. She read the explanation that I concisely spelled out, and came up with my problem being that I no longer had a hotel. Her inability to determine the problem was exacerbating. When she finally understood my problem, her solution was to cancel all the flights with me receiving a refund for my newly purchased departure on Delta and for me to handle the return flights with Sun Country on my own. In addition to this, her solution would have cost me an additional $690.03 for just rebooking the Delta flight. Attached are screenshots of that conversation. All in all, after 3 attempts to resolve this with Customer Service, I would suggest avoiding Expedia in any of your travel needs. Whatever ease you think you get from searching everything in one location, you will pay for 10 fold if something goes wrong.

Emily D Herriman, UT

Expedia is great because of the prices. I feel like it really does helps ace money as opposed to going through hotels, airlines and car rental places directly.

Miranda Bawol Calgary, AB

I will never book with Expedia again. All I wanted to do was utilize some flight credits I had, which they tell you that you have to call Expedia Customer Service in order to use. The customer service agents constantly tried to upsell me and gave me never-ending reasons why I needed to pay more than the cost of the flight that was listed on Expedia's website, and on the airline's website. After 3 hours on the phone of trying to get them to book the flight I needed, with the credits I had, for the price that was listed on their own website, I eventually gave up and went directly to the airline (which Expedia advises you not to do). I managed to book the flight I wanted, with credits, and for the listed price, within 10 minutes online directly on the airlines website. I've come to the conclusion that they insist that you have to call into Expedia so they can force upgrades on you. Don't fall for this scam! Everyone at Expedia should be ashamed of how they conduct business.

fe zh South Pasadena, CA

I booked a flight from LAX to ORD, roundtrip. On my return, my metro train in Chicago is delayed (shout out) so I missed my flight by 10 mins. Before I put in the missing flight fee for Spirit, I called Expedia to confirm the insurance coverage (I got the insurance because it's snowy in Chicago). Got "transferred" to different departments 2 times, entered my itinerary # 5 times, held for 50 mins, the flight 6 hours almost filled up on me, and finally the callback, the receptionist: "Hello? What's your name... hold for me", after 1 minute hang up. Now, what should I do? I called back the hotline and it was another 50 mins wait. Paid the missing fee of $100 out of pocket and here is my resentful review.

vince Dunnellon, FL

we have used Expedia for years in travel all over the world. I have always bought the insurance but never had to use it until February 2022. We had planned a trip to France but had to cancel after the state department warning and a positive covid at home test. When I called the representative told me I was fine and would get a complete refund because of the Expedia insurance I had purchased. At first they gave us credit for the flight on the Expedia account, but within a week this was erased without any explanation. I have still not heard from Expedia"s insurance carrier, I would never use Expedia again or recommend them to anyone, the one time we had to use the insurance this happened, we paid over $100 for each traveler for this insurance for a $650.00 ticket. Outrageous!!!!

Brooke

Only ever use third party sites like Expedia to search for low cost flights, then book directly through the airline you’re traveling with. If you have even the smallest issue with your flight, Expedia won’t do anything without charging you. Literally never book with them. Go directly to the source.

colleen donley Albion, NY

Absolutely horrible. Attempting to use a flight credit, has been a nightmare. I have spent over 15 hours, being hung up on , put on hold, to then be hung up on again , I even tried chat. Representatives lie, then act like they are trying to help only to put you on 30-120 min holds to hang up on you all over again. I will NEVER use them again. If you do not want the same frustration and disappointment, I encourage you to never use Expedia either.

Holly Dunlap Santa Monica, CA

I paid for insurance for my flight, and then it was cancelled. I then went into Expedia's chat, where it took a full HOUR to tell me they need to call me. I have now been on the phone with another person for 20 minutes, who just told me she has to put me on hold. I have a work call in 10 minutes that I cannot miss, and the Expedia team has told me they cannot call me back once they have found a solution - I can only hold or hang up and start all over again. EXPEDIA INSURANCE IS CLEARLY A SCAM.

LB Bridgeport, CT

Booking through Expedia has been the biggest mistake I've made in awhile, and it just keeps on giving. None of their online functions works so you constantly have to call them, waiting upwards of 30 minutes each time just to speak with a representative. I don't understand why they even have a website if you can't use any of it. They also can't send you a receipt for everything that has to be done over the phone (which is basically every part of the process) which makes it very difficult to submit work expenses. I will never book through Expedia again and hope no one else does either

Shea Helms San Jose, CA

Just had the WORST experience with Expedia. I purchased the protection plan when booking my trip, and unfortunately a couple of days after booking my trip (and 10 days before our trip) I got sick and we had to cancel our trip. Called Expedia (1.5 hour hold) to say we wanted to cancel and get our refund (because, protection plan) and after they called the hotel and airline the Expedia representative asks if we also want our insurance plan refunded. My husband was confused and the guy made it seem like we were supposed to get refunded for that too so he refunded it (AKA - HE CANCELLED AND REFUNDED OUR PROTECTION PLAN and then tried to say we couldn’t get anything refunded because they cancelled our protection plan!!!!!!). What??? I told you I wanted my trip refunded. They tried to confuse and trick us into getting the protection plan refunded (cancelled) so that they didn’t have to refund us.been on hold with their insurance provider now for another hour and was told there was nothing they could do because we cancelled our protection plan. After grabbing the phone and yelling at the guy, he’s going to “call the hotel and airline in the morning” but he has to “follow the policy” and it’s up to the hotel and airlines discretion now. Absolutely ridiculous and dishonest.

Timothy Rich South Jordan, UT

I like this service because it allows you to compare different services such as flights, hotels car rentals, etc when you are going on a trip somewhere. This lets you get exactly what you need for the lowest price possible.

Heather Novus Palm Bay, FL

Easy to use, but tends to add more fees than it's worth. I've found more competitive rates on Google flights

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

When traveling outside the country for my first vacation abroad, Expedia made the process of booking a safe, budget friendly, and even luxurious hotel a possibility for us. We received the best deal possible, were able to reserve the perfect room, all in under an hour and a half on Expedia. When we arrived to our hotel, everything was as we had been told and seen on Expedia. If you were looking for a trustworthy company to help you plan your dream vacation, this is it.

Svetlana Mintusova Cancún, ROO

Very bad experience and absolutely unhelpful customer service, still trying to get a refund and complain. I booked car rental and car insurance through expedia, when I turned up to pick up the car, the car rental company said that they do not accept expedia insurances and asked to leave a deposit for 14000$. Of course, I did not want to do that, but they provided no other choice. I had to leave without a car and my holiday has been ruined. Never again will book through them

T Stinar Meridian, ID

Expedia lies. I booked a car reservation from Expedia and realized that I wanted to extend the rental by 1 day. I called Expedia and they said to cancel the original reservations and make another reservation. However I said no because Expedia will charge me $50 cancellation fee. The service rep said no, they will not penalize me for cancelling. Big lie. They did charge me the $50 cancellation fee and even though I had the chat transcript to prove what the service rep said, they refused to forgive the $50 fee. My credit-card company (Chase) was no help either. Expedia lies. They are unscrupulous. Stay away!!

Johnson Johnson ID

Booked a hotel for an week family vacation months in advance. We paid Expedia. However, upon arriving at the hotel discovered that Expedia never paid the hotel. The payment was terminated by Expedia without notifying us. The hotel still showed our reservation but no payment. It took multiple calls by both travelers and the hotel. We were on hold for over an hour. Expedia customer service hung up on us and the Hotel staff. It took hours to resolve and late at night while traveling with kids. We'll never recommend nor use Expedia again. We're also identifying their parter companies to avoid these also. 0 stars for Expedia customer service.

Vivian Liew New York, NY

I have worked with Expedia for years and recently I've lost sleep over the terrible customer service. My first flight originally got cancelled and I received airline credit from Expedia. Then I used that credit to book later and the price was surcharged for only my airline and I then had to pay an extra mid 200's out of my pocket additional. Peaking at Google flights, my airline had a lower price. So this is Expedia knowing I had to book with my airline with my credit and they raised the price of only my airline to make more money. Now my flight was unavailable and I received an email to either rebook or receive credit. Knowing that I will be surcharged again, I called to make sure the price without factoring the credit would be honored. Apparently no matter what even though the flights were lower prices, the remaining balance of my credit will be forfeited aka they pocket the rest. I have asked to speak with a supervisor multiple times. Then I was being put on hold to "check on policies". Some of the agents that put us on hold have hung up and i have also been lied to about a supervisor's office hours by over 3 agents. Then I asked to receive an email for confirmation and one person was able to send me an email while a few other agents claimed they don't have email. Also one agent said they were going to transfer me to a supervisor and 20 minutes later, another agent their level picked up. So they lied again. I received a call over 30 hours later and the supervisor said the same thing as the agent and that according to the airline, the remaining credit balance will be forfeited. Also there was no way to identify them or identify which call center this is from. From big corporations, they will provide you with an employee number for reference if you had to speak to a higher power and also the supervisor claimed that there is no one above them to speak to which is definitely a lie as well. To verify if this is true, I went above and called the airline directly and they said this is not their policy and whatever remaining balance would remain in my account to use for future trips. My airline ended up rebooking my flight free of charge and also honored the lower price and now I have over $300 of credit in my account which was the extra money I was surcharged by Expedia. These people will do everything in their power to lie to you and keep your money. Do not book with Expedia.

Khalid Kurtom Centreville, MD

I booked a tour in Paris with your company, I waited at the hotel and the driver never showed up. I tried contacting the number on the reservation and was not a functioning number. I contacted Expedia customer service multiple times, they attempted to contact the vendor without luck. I never got the tour. I finally tracked the parent company, Viator, and provided their contact to Expedia to attempt to obtain a refund. Expedia declined my request for a refund because they stated that the vendor is not reimbursing them. This is fraudulent activity. I booked with Expedia and it is Expedia’s responsibility to reimburse me.

Janani Akhil Bedford, MA

They overcharged and finally paid our money back after multiple calls.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

If you are too lazy to figure out the logistics of a quick trip and aren't super pressed for a cheap schedule. Expedia makes it super easy to coordinate everything you need on your trip from hotel, flight and car.

J B Sandy, UT

There's a reason Expedia has been around so long. Their deals are hard to beat. They have everything for trip booking from lodging to car rentals, to flights, all in one place.

Shopman Herriman, UT

Expedia is great because and can see hotels and vacation rentals. I love knowing all of my options before I make a choice. I do wish they would list indoor pool and outdoor pool, not just pool as an amenity choice. Reading the reviews of other customers has been very helpful to know if I should book a certain place or not.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

I love this company because it provides me with the best deals for flights and hotels. It also lets you accumulate points you can use to get lower rates which is so helpful. The website is extremely easy to use and is my go-to website for vacations!

Emily Guareno Tallahassee, FL

When needing to book flights, they give you every range of prices that benefits you. Once you have booked your flight, they give you hotels with the best reviews and itineraries to go by. They help a lot and are very reliable needing to book you flights and hotels.

Grace M. Columbia, MO

Expedia takes the stress out of travel booking. I was able to cancel a reservation the day before in a matter of minutes with no additional charges. Their automated customer service is super ahead of the game and actually beneficial, as opposed to most automated systems. They always show me the cheapest deals when compared to other travel sites too!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

My experience with Expedia has been amazing. When it comes to travel, there are hundreds of options, so you have to keep your eyes open for the best possible options. Expedia makes traveling so easy, allows me to spend more time with my family which is something I truly appreciate.

They cancelled my flight, but it took contacting them 6 times and waiting 3 months before I gave up and reversed the charge on my credit card to get my refund. NEVER use Expedia.

Alex Moore Spartanburg, SC

Buyer Beware! Watch when booking a hotel through Expedia because if you have to cancel an unavoidable hotel reservation, there's a big chance you will not get a refund. EASY MONEY for Expedia. Most hotel chains honor a cancellation 24-48 hours before, which was our case and they do not. Customer support was useless and understandable as my money was in their pocket and staying there. Terrible company!

Melissa Woods Carson City, NV

I had a very bad experience with Expedia, I booked 2 round trip tickets, a hotel and car rental and trip insurance with 100% money back guarantee November2021. Due to my father dying I had to cancel everything. Their virtual assistant ended up canceling my insurance before the flights so guess what? NO REFUND on my tickets, just credit. I have only flew 4 times since 2011, I will never use those credits in time.

Angela Royalty Danville, KY

Room on Expedia website not as advertised. Within 24 hours I contacted Expedia to cancel remainder of reservation with partial refund. Expedia advised me to check out they would contact hotel. I checked out and then both Expedia and the hotel played hot potato with who had the authority to make this right. Expedia blamed hotel and hotel blamed Expedia while both said they really wished they could honor my request. Beware that once you check in to hotel through Expedia your window to cancel has closed and Expedia will only pay lip service. Do not expect being able to cancel or receive even a partial refund. I will never book with Expedia again. Hopefully, in sharing this experience, others won’t be duped by Expedia.

Maria Puckowski Stuart, FL

I booked flights and hotel with Expedia to have nice stay in Exuma Bahamas for me and my husband on November 9 till 14.We were so excited to spend 5 days in there.We are US citizens live in Florida,fully vaccinated .I started booking round trip flights tickets and hotel and had no warning ⚠️ and any additional information and Expedia didn’t stop me at any point purchasing my dream vacation. Flights were provided by Silver Airlines,very small local airline. Departure was from FLL International Airport.We make it on time and we were ready to be welcomed on board but when we showed them our vaccination card and Negative Covid test(just did the day before) and passports of course they ask for Health Visa,what nobody told me during this booking at Expedia at all.This is Bahamas requirement since October 2021 to get in to. Finally we were not allowed to get into the flight and left behind and sadly back home.Spending hours by hours to contact Expedia customer service with no luck of refund. I don’t understand why they let me spend $1,600.00 without notifying me that Bahamas has that kind of rules.When we were complained with the airlines officer about , she said you should be informed by the TRAVEL AGENCY in this case EXPEDIA!!! I used Expedia for so many years but now I’m done ✅. Stay away from them!!!

Cara Hayes Bridgewater, NJ

Do not use this website! I booked a flight with Expedia and purchased cancellation/change insurance (despite Expedia's promised free change within 24 hours of booking). I had a booking for a round trip from EWR->EYW with short layovers in-between. I then needed to change the date of my flights to the next day. I spent over 3 hours with a service agent on the phone. After losing 2 of the preferred flights I had looked up due to his "connection" speed the agent assured me he changed my booking to reflect EWR->MIA ->EYW and EYW -> CLT -> EWR. Adding the disclaimer it takes 24 hours for Expedia's itinerary to update to reflect the changes. 24 hours later checking my itinerary I was shocked the support agent failed to book the flight after the layover. Leaving me with a reservation for EWR > MIA one day and a return EYW > CLT. With no way to get to my destination *EYW or return back to *EWR. I attempted to call Expedia customer support but was unable to speak with a representative. I became stuck in a loop of an automated answering machine informing me they couldn't find my booking and disconnecting. Finally, I was able to get in touch with a virtual agent via the chat feature. They found me another flight with a 3-hour layover and asked me to put up over $1,000 dollars for the change fees (promised to be refunded in 6-10 business days). Unapologetically, Expedia took an additional 1.5 hours of my time, gave me a worse flight, and offered nothing to rectify the situation.

Raya Pool Stony Mountain, MB

DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA! So frustrating! My flight was cancelled due to covid. The process to get a refund is a nightmare! First, there is no credit listed on either my Expedia or WestJet accounts (yet they claim it is there). Then they claim I can book a flight and use the money as long as I book it by a certain date. Why don't I get to pick when I use MY money up by??? The service/flight I was requesting, was not an option for me. I should have received a full refund the minute the flight was cancelled. Such a process! Also, other couples booked the same flight through Expedia AFTER I did, however, they miraculously have received a refund - yet I am still being told my option is to apply for an extension or refund. What a hassle!

Agrevated Tampa, FL

Just got back from a long road trip. To book some of my hotels I used Expedia. Due to changes in my schedule I had to change some of my resorvations. Expedia was impossible to work with and I had to pick up 3 nights I didn’t even use. It took over 1 hr on Chat to change one booking. As I was waiting my phone rang and it was this forgin voice from Expedia asking me what I wanted. They asked me for my phone number?? I said you called me and they wanted my credit card the booking was made through. It was all very bizarre. After about 1 1/2 hr my reservation was changed but I was told it could not be canceled and I would have to pay anyway. I had 3 bookings that I ended up paying for that I didn’t use. For now on I pay more and book myself. No more Expedia

Phil Johnson Cranberry Township, PA

I booked a "transferable" trip USA to UK and paid $2,650. I had to cancel and rearrange the dates, and when I did the fare was $611 less. I was told the difference was only useable on the new booking due to the airline policy (Virgin Atlantic), so I asked to upgrade seats. I was told I would have to contact the airline directly. I did so and learned from Virgin that they had only been paid $2037 and the rest of my money remained with Expedia, and they told me "this happens frequently, and I would have to call Expedia to try and get a seat upgrade”. Expedia played dumb, and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, they held me on the phone for 44 minutes before dropping the line. Lies about "Airline Policy", and deliberate actions to pocket my remaining money. Never again Expedia!

Titus Holman Layton, UT

So, my wife and I book our rental car through Expedia on our last trip to Brazil. We arrived to the rental car agency approximately 1 hour after our scheduled arrival. We were subsequently refused the vehicle by the rental agency and told our reservation was cancelled. We were told that we could reschedule through Expedia. So, we called Expedia while standing in the agency lobby. We were told they couldn't reschedule or cancel the reservation. We asked for a refund because we were not receiving the service we paid for. A few days later we received an email that they couldn't reach the agency, which we never had any problem doing, and therefore were refusing to issue a refund. I spoke with a representative at Expedia that agreed that we had not violated their policy, but was still refusing to issue a refund. So even though we did everything the way we were suppose to, Expedia still refused to stand by their own policy and issue a refund. Safe to say I will neither use Expedia again, not will I ever recommend it to anyone other than the people I hate.

Bob New Windsor, NY

Made airline reservations and have twice been changed ( time and airport) by the airlines weeks before departure. No emergency situation of weather related problem cited.. Expedia has no say in what can be done re compensation or other considerations for the inconvenience and time to adjust our own travel plans. Now you know if you or I made as many changes we would be paying hundreds in penalties. What i have learned is that Expedia is simply a middle man with no bargaining power or leverage to protect and serve customers from the airlines' own abusive power to shift passengers around for their own business interests. Better to book with the airlines. Join their loyalty clubs and deal with the airlines directly. You may have a better chance of being helped

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Expedia gives good travel deals compared to other sites and is easy to use. We always use it for our trips and have never regretted it. All in all very nice to work with.

Ramona Kiffing Chapel Hill, NC

They were helpful with showing me deals in the area that I would be travelling to. However, I often found better deals on other websites or the deals they presented to me were not actual deals

aserbacher Tallahassee, FL

I always use Expedia when looking for the cheapest flights to book. I know I can count on Expedia to find the best flights. When flying to Cancun this summer, I used Expedia and knew I was getting the best bang for my buck.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Expedia is fantastic for finding vacation packages and things to do. I once had an issue with a hotel not preparing my room and they got it all figured out for me. Great website.