Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.8

Mike

July 28th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is easily a 0 star company. I have used Expedia for years. Gold member actually. Never had to many issues, but since this Covid epidemic they seem to be doing nothing. Maybe their company is struggling and they are trying to steal from as many customers as they can that don't stick out with complaints. I booked a large Europe trip at the beginning of 2020. Over 5000 for 3 people for over a month. Covid hit later and the troubles began with this company. Granted I did get some refunds BUT, these are not the hard labor result of Expedia. This was due to the original company's canceling flights, shutting down hotels or allowing people to reschedule their trip, a pretty ethical solution. For example, my hotel in London noted that since the ban on Americans occurred they cancelled all booking and gave out refunds, you could rebook and all rebookings came with a no charge booking change for further issues. Expedia may take credit for those results but don't be fooled, its 100% at the ethics of the hotel or flight company. I had 3 bookings where, after hours with a damn robot answering my questions I got an automated answer of sorry, not within the hotels policies to change or refund. Obviously in January those are normal bookings, the world has crumbled since, America in particular as well as the EU set a ban on Americans from entering the EU, still the EU has no say of the decision of a hotel I suppose. I have left multiple reviews on multiple sites including several complaints on BBB. I hope Expedia takes a hit financial as the free market should dictate crappy companies get crappy results. Somehow with a monstrous decline in travel all throughout the world, their stock fell to 45$ to currently today 84$. Either inflated or bailed out. I don't see how a company can add billions to their company in a few month with no a fraction of the business. Rich B, Barry D and some random guy buying them coffee, I hope you have a sincerely terrible year full of lawsuits, fines and a papercut.

Thi L

July 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Due to COVID-19, I was unable to travel overseas due to travel ban restrictions. I booked a non-refundable accommodation back in 2019, the accommodation stay date was in June. Expedia claims they have their own policies and it states on their website that I am eligible for a full refund or voucher. I requested a full refund. I could not cancel due to the website glitch so I requested Expedia company to cancel on my behalf. I have attempted to contact the hotel myself but it has been closed since April and still are currently closed. The Expedia agents confirmed the company still currently has my money as the transaction to the hotel has not been processed (due to the hotel being closed). It’s been an ongoing 4 months of trying to get my full refund contacting via email and calls. They continuously delay and tell me to wait further and they will get back to me - this is a lie and again, I have to contact them to follow this up. Added photos of Expedia’s claims/policies for my current situation. But Expedia is unreliable and not credible. Do not book with this company.

Grace

May 28th, 2020 Bergenfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You would think that they have their customers in mind during this worldwide pandemic. Nope! I had a coupon from my canceled April trip (due to covid). I used it to book a room but then later had to change the dates. I press the cancel button and choose the option 'I have to change the date' because I had to work around with the dates and type of rooms because I had to match the credit amount. After playing around with the options, I try to re-book, but I couldn't because my coupon was gone. I call and wait half an hour to finally speak to someone. They tell me once you hit the cancel button, you forfeit your coupon. I ask nicely to give me back the coupon. "There's no way we can reinstate it in our system". I ask nicely to then give me expedia credit. "The system doesn't allow me to give you credit" I beg them, tell them I can't afford to lose $545. They don't care. Make sure never to cancel a coupon because you can only use it once people!

Aslihan Demirkaya

May 15th, 2020 Moraga, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am an Expedia customer for the last 15 years. I bought two way tickets 5 months ago and paid $1,499 and because of COVID 19, the return was was cancelled. I did not reach Expedia for 2 months but I got an email saying that I would get the refund! I called them today, waited for 1 hour, couldn't reach anyone. Then I contacted a real agent online and he told me that I got $0 as a refund! I am very upset that Expedia turned to be a scam company and did not care about their customers. Then why should I ever use Expedia again? You give "silver", "golden" names to your customers but the only thing you care is the money. This is not how the business is done! I will let everyone around me know how Expedia stole half of my money. They owe me $750 and they don't pay back and they don't care! Thank you Expedia! You lost me and you will loose tons of customers!

Connie Conner

May 10th, 2020 Council Bluffs, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They will tell you anything to get your booking but if there is an issue before, during or after the trip they are no where to be found. You cannot get ahold of them. Do not book thru them or you may end up stranded in another country with no help.

J. G.

April 14th, 2020 Raleigh, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would not recommend using Expedia to purchase airline tickets. Purchase directly from the airline company. I purchased round trip business class KLM airline tickets through Expedia to Europe in March 2020. I was notified by Delta (KLM partner) that my return KLM flights were cancelled the day before my departure due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Delta stated that they were trying to re-book my flights. They were unsuccessful. I attempted to contact Expedia for assistance in re-booking, but was put on hold for countless hours. I ended up purchasing another set of flight(s) back to the U.S. KLM has agreed to refund me the return ticket prices, but has informed me that I must do this through Expedia. Expedia refuses to refund the ticket price and will only offer vouchers for the cancelled flights. I have submitted a complaint against Expedia to the Department of Transportation and a dispute through my credit card company. This is the worst service that I have ever encountered. I have been put on hold on the telephone for as long as 7 hours only to be disconnected.

Max Cable

April 7th, 2020 Akron, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Of you are not app savy just call the hotel company. I booked two nights in Reno for the wrong date. When I got there there was no room available and I had to use credit card to get another place out ten miles with an taxi. Then instead of getting a refund they said I no-showed which yea I didn't have enough money or time to stay the days wrongly corrected. So buyer beware if you are traveling and hit wrong button accidently it's your problem not theirs!

RUTH CHI

April 2nd, 2020 Yakima, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

NO star! 0 star! Why isn’t it an option? Not only they didn’t help When I try to cancel because of COVID, They even said it’s SAFE to travel! So we end up going, because they don’t want u to cancel. While my husband and I were in Europe with COVID-19 and its out 10th wedding anniversary. Will in Prague everything was closed due to COVID-19, we tried to get home, but calling Expedia is impossible, the wait time is more then an hour and they cut u off, try the online chatting, they booked us even later flight. on top of that They tried to mark up the ticket price. at a moment of crisis they Still try to make $$$ off from you. Just when you are ready to click purchase, wait no seat, now it’s bauble the price! Oh other thing, Pls DO NOT BUY their insurance, cause you think I got myself perfected. Nope they used AIG Travel Guard But somehow AIG then pass u off to AON, which is the worst insurance company. Time like this, I believe ppl should have the compassion and try to help people getting back home not to make more money. And also because all the Europe countries is shutting down. With the insurance no luck getting your money back, they just pass u off on to another insurance company. Expedia and AIG and AON should be ashamed of themselves, while other doctors are on the line trying to save people, these big company is trying to squeeze more money from you.

jlindenschmidt

April 1st, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had to cancel flights due to the Covid crisis. Could not get through to them to cancel. Finally had to cancel through the airline and we were supposed to get a refund. That never arrived so I tried for days and finally got through to Expedia. After 2 hours on the phone she said I could rebook but I had to call them to do so. Since it's impossible to get anyone on the line there I asked her to wait while I looked up flights. She put me on hold and never came back. I finally had to call United (the airline) and they agreed to help me and rebook. NEVER use Expedia. They may be ok to shop on but always book through the airline or hotel directly.

Bryan Jensen

April 1st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are ready to use and have a lot of different tools to use to search for vacation package. I highly recommend.

Lola Swidler

March 29th, 2020 Marion, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst travel co ever. I purchased travel insurance and cant get through to anyone to get my refund. Worst experience ever.

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a great resource to find flight, car, and hotel bundles with trustworthy businesses and hotels. Also, very easy cancellations and good prices.

gg

March 19th, 2020 Accra, AA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. Wanted to cancel a flight, but turns out if my flight is within the next 7 days, I'll need to contact a customer service agent to do so. I don't understand why I can't cancel online like every other travel platform. Even so, their customer service agents are never available, and their chat feature is terribly broken.

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

when I went to seattle I booked my flight and hotel through Expedia and they saved me $400 dollars as opposed to booking separately!

Karen Torino

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Expedia for our families travel a lot over the past 5 years. I feel like I’m able to book travel easily. However I have found the rates to be a little bit more expensive than other travel sites or booking through hotels directly.

Dean

March 9th, 2020 Manhattan Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is the worst! Booked flights and paid extra $$$ for single baggage pre-check in, seat upgrade and travel insurance benefits only to find out that the "ticketed price" did not include anything that we paid for as indicated on Expedia's poorly designed web site. Called the barely-english-speaking Rep at Expedia (after waiting for 1 hour and 35 minutes) to clarify and/or cancel the trip. We were told that we are responsible for calling each of the airlines for our multi-distination reservations to cancel. Don't understand the Expedia "value" that we're paying for. I will NEVER use Expedia again. They are a scam, just like all of the other travel web sites. Call each of the airlines and got the same price offered by Expedia, and one of them was actually cheaper. Don't use travel web sites! They are the new "time share scam" of the travel industry. Buyer beware, especially the senior citizens.

Clay Magee

March 8th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia helps me find the cheapest and best flights no matter my destination or the time

Logan Hudson

March 7th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use expedia whenever I plan on staying at a hotel when I travel. The prices are always the cheapest compared to other sites and I feel safe with the security of my information.

AJ & Maria Ferguson

March 6th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We travel a lot in state (Utah) for our daughters' mountain biking races. Expedia has helped find the best hotels for our budget and hotels that will accommodate our family of 6. They were great also when we all came down with the flu during a family vacation and had to return a day early. We were able to get a refund for our night we didn't spend at the hotel.

Randi Nelson

March 6th, 2020 San José, SJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia helped me find the flights I needed at at the best price possible. I am very pleased with expedia

J Connelly

March 5th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used this a few times for hotels. They usually gave the cheapest rate and easy to use.

Lacey Horne

March 3rd, 2020 Clearfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the second place I check for deals. I also feel that this company is trust worthy with my reservations and that they’re getting me the best deals.

russbayles

March 3rd, 2020 Boise, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used Expedia lately for all my travels. So easy to plan a whole trip from plane tickets to car rental to hotel is nice to have on one app. Will continue to use their service.

Emily

March 3rd, 2020 Crawfordville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia makes it easy to book anything but I have found that often they do not give me the best price on hotels. I have compared prices on hotel websites before and gotten them for cheaper. I have also experienced several issues with their customer service department which is a mess in general. And their rewards system is not that great, you have to spend at least $1000 in order to get $10 off.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY

It does what it’s supposed to do. It gets a bit crowded and I feel like too much info coming at me all at once but there are times when I do need all that. Reviews on there helps with searching too. Free and accurate service haven’t had a problem with using Expedia.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve used Expedia a few times for my travel needs. The site is very user friendly and it can set up your entire trip from airline tickets, to car rentals, to hotels, to transportation, etc...the even offer monthly payments to pay for your trips. I’ve been very happy with my purchases thru Expedia.

mccandless24

February 24th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I found a good deal on a hotel with Expedia but I did find I was booking through a third party and almost lost my room even though we pre-paid for it. Very stressful situation. I would hope that when I book it is directly with the establishment.

JR Suguturaga

February 24th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia was able to provide good deals on short notice, it's website is also pretty easy to navigate.

Brenda Horne

February 23rd, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is where I always go when I put together a vacation package--flight, car, hotel. They have a user-friendly online format to see what is available, and their costumer service representatives have always been very helpful when I've had additional questions.

David T

February 23rd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a good site to find good deals on travel. Their website is easy to navigate and understand.

Michelle Rios

February 23rd, 2020 Ogden, UT

Expedia has a great platform when looking to compare prices for airfare, hotels and parks. We have used them to help us save money when planning our trip to Disneyland. They have great customer service when questions arise. Thank you for providing an awesome service... Expedia!

Mhorne182

February 23rd, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked some hotels here recently. The interface is nice and we found the best deal with best perks on Expedia. We also earned rewards. Would definitely use again.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is an enormous asset in finding low cost airfare with quality airlines. I saw a mountain of choices when searching for personal travel options. Great search tool and easy booking and reservations.

Audrey Mitchell

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia has been so helpful when planning places to stay while traveling. The pricing is up to date and they have reliable places to stay.

Lori Fletcher

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great search engine, but their prices aren't discounted much. We had a problem with one of the hotels and they don't help and just say to call the hotel and deal with them on that.

Customer

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very helpful to find what I wanted but won’t use them for the actual purchase because they are still to high in price.

Jon Robinson

February 18th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great for finding package deals. I always check this site anytime I am planning a trip.

Eddie Rios

February 15th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia offers tremendous value in cost and time savings. They are an easy site to find cheap travel options with great travel brands. The site can be trusted with your personal info and the reservations are fool proof-no mistakes. Great online portal to use for travel planning.

Reckholdt

February 11th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia a lot in the past. Intend to find Vermonter deals now on other sights but every once in a while we snag a deal that pops up through them.

Jami Lucas

February 9th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the options that there are. However I wish that the fees weren’t so high to use them.

Vee Poli

February 7th, 2020 East Brunswick, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked a bundle deal through Expedia app to Jamaica not realizing that the hotel room I picked was almost 4 hours away and a $700 shuttle. Spoke to customer service and their excuse was I should’ve checked! But flying into another country I did not think a bundle deal will send me to a 4 hours away hotel. If I pick to fly into New York will they have a bundle deal for me to stay in Boston. I don’t believe so. No part of it makes sense at all. And it’s so hard to even find a reasonable shuttle that even takes you that far. How that’s part of their bundle deal I don’t understand

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Expedia to book my flight to Italy and found a great option that was better than other sites.

A’lea Richardson

February 7th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One of my favorite sites to book on. Very easy to navigate and it always has the best deals! Love their point system also

T H

February 5th, 2020 Vancouver, BC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What is up with the people that answers the calls at Expedia?? Expedia used to be good and now they have weird and awkward reps that answer the calls. Booked an all inclusive package and needed more information about my booking and I get connected to the all inclusive vacation line, and this man basically turned every inquiry that I made into what shouldn't have been so complicated. How many different ways do I need to word: how many beds are included in the hotel room I booked? He seemed appalled and shocked and confused by this question. His attitude made it seem like it was a burden to answer any of my questions and almost as if he was doing ME a favor by answering. WELL MY APOLOGIES EXPEDIA! Sorry to hassle you by giving you money to use your service. I am now considering cancelling this package as I am utterly disgusted by how Expedia treats their customers. WOULD NEVER BOOK AGAIN AND DEFINITELY SPREADING THE WORD SO THAT NOBODY BOOKS WITH THIS AWFUL COMPANY AGAIN!

Darbles32

February 4th, 2020 Managua, MN

Expedia is a great sight to find flights and hotels because even if you have found a place or flight they will tell you if they find a cheaper one along the way

Aimee Mortensen

February 1st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is my go to for travel planning. I’ve found the best deals on flights and can often bundle with a hotel and/or car for increased savings.

Juliann Mecham

January 31st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a nice site to help you find nice flights. I fly fairly often to not the cheapest places for not the longest amount of time, so it is nice to use Expedia. I would recommend.

Bryndie

January 30th, 2020 Managua, MN

Great site to find cheaper travel options. Pretty easy to use and book through. They do send a lot of emails once you enter your email address though

Lynsey Beebee

January 29th, 2020 Tonbridge, KEN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA !!!!!!! OUR FAMILY HAVE BEEN TREATED APPALLINGLY. WE BOOKED WITH EXPEDIA TO PALMA AT NEW YEAR AND WHEN WE ARRIVED OUR HOTEL WAS CLOSED !!!! EXPEDIA REFUSED TO HELP EVEN THOUGH WE HAD A CHILD WITH US. WE HAD TO FIND, BOOK AND PAY FOR ANOTHER HOTEL OURSELVES !!! DESPITE BEING PROMISED A REFUND WE ARE YET TO RECEIVE ONE. WE HAVE BEEN PASSED FROM DEPARTMENT TO DEPARTMENT WITH NO APOLOGIES, NO RESPONSIBILITY AND NO SYMPATHY. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN SHOCKING . BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!