Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Expedia reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Protection

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Travel Protection

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, Expedia will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

View Best Travel Sites

3.9

RUTH CHI

April 3rd, 2020 Yakima, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

NO star! 0 star! Why isn’t it an option? Not only they didn’t help When I try to cancel because of COVID, They even said it’s SAFE to travel! So we end up going, because they don’t want u to cancel. While my husband and I were in Europe with COVID-19 and its out 10th wedding anniversary. Will in Prague everything was closed due to COVID-19, we tried to get home, but calling Expedia is impossible, the wait time is more then an hour and they cut u off, try the online chatting, they booked us even later flight. on top of that They tried to mark up the ticket price. at a moment of crisis they Still try to make $$$ off from you. Just when you are ready to click purchase, wait no seat, now it’s bauble the price! Oh other thing, Pls DO NOT BUY their insurance, cause you think I got myself perfected. Nope they used AIG Travel Guard But somehow AIG then pass u off to AON, which is the worst insurance company. Time like this, I believe ppl should have the compassion and try to help people getting back home not to make more money. And also because all the Europe countries is shutting down. With the insurance no luck getting your money back, they just pass u off on to another insurance company. Expedia and AIG and AON should be ashamed of themselves, while other doctors are on the line trying to save people, these big company is trying to squeeze more money from you.

jlindenschmidt

April 3rd, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had to cancel flights due to the Covid crisis. Could not get through to them to cancel. Finally had to cancel through the airline and we were supposed to get a refund. That never arrived so I tried for days and finally got through to Expedia. After 2 hours on the phone she said I could rebook but I had to call them to do so. Since it's impossible to get anyone on the line there I asked her to wait while I looked up flights. She put me on hold and never came back. I finally had to call United (the airline) and they agreed to help me and rebook. NEVER use Expedia. They may be ok to shop on but always book through the airline or hotel directly.

Bryan Jensen

April 1st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are ready to use and have a lot of different tools to use to search for vacation package. I highly recommend.

Lola Swidler

March 30th, 2020 Marion, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst travel co ever. I purchased travel insurance and cant get through to anyone to get my refund. Worst experience ever.

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a great resource to find flight, car, and hotel bundles with trustworthy businesses and hotels. Also, very easy cancellations and good prices.

gg

March 19th, 2020 Accra, AA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. Wanted to cancel a flight, but turns out if my flight is within the next 7 days, I'll need to contact a customer service agent to do so. I don't understand why I can't cancel online like every other travel platform. Even so, their customer service agents are never available, and their chat feature is terribly broken.

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

when I went to seattle I booked my flight and hotel through Expedia and they saved me $400 dollars as opposed to booking separately!

Karen Torino

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one.

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Expedia for our families travel a lot over the past 5 years. I feel like I’m able to book travel easily. However I have found the rates to be a little bit more expensive than other travel sites or booking through hotels directly.

Logan Hudson

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use expedia whenever I plan on staying at a hotel when I travel. The prices are always the cheapest compared to other sites and I feel safe with the security of my information.

Clay Magee

March 10th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia helps me find the cheapest and best flights no matter my destination or the time

Dean

March 10th, 2020 Manhattan Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is the worst! Booked flights and paid extra $$$ for single baggage pre-check in, seat upgrade and travel insurance benefits only to find out that the "ticketed price" did not include anything that we paid for as indicated on Expedia's poorly designed web site. Called the barely-english-speaking Rep at Expedia (after waiting for 1 hour and 35 minutes) to clarify and/or cancel the trip. We were told that we are responsible for calling each of the airlines for our multi-distination reservations to cancel. Don't understand the Expedia "value" that we're paying for. I will NEVER use Expedia again. They are a scam, just like all of the other travel web sites. Call each of the airlines and got the same price offered by Expedia, and one of them was actually cheaper. Don't use travel web sites! They are the new "time share scam" of the travel industry. Buyer beware, especially the senior citizens.

AJ & Maria Ferguson

March 9th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We travel a lot in state (Utah) for our daughters' mountain biking races. Expedia has helped find the best hotels for our budget and hotels that will accommodate our family of 6. They were great also when we all came down with the flu during a family vacation and had to return a day early. We were able to get a refund for our night we didn't spend at the hotel.

Randi Nelson

March 6th, 2020 San José, SJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia helped me find the flights I needed at at the best price possible. I am very pleased with expedia

J Connelly

March 5th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used this a few times for hotels. They usually gave the cheapest rate and easy to use.

Lacey Horne

March 4th, 2020 Clearfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the second place I check for deals. I also feel that this company is trust worthy with my reservations and that they’re getting me the best deals.

russbayles

March 3rd, 2020 Boise, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used Expedia lately for all my travels. So easy to plan a whole trip from plane tickets to car rental to hotel is nice to have on one app. Will continue to use their service.

Emily

March 3rd, 2020 Crawfordville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia makes it easy to book anything but I have found that often they do not give me the best price on hotels. I have compared prices on hotel websites before and gotten them for cheaper. I have also experienced several issues with their customer service department which is a mess in general. And their rewards system is not that great, you have to spend at least $1000 in order to get $10 off.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY

It does what it’s supposed to do. It gets a bit crowded and I feel like too much info coming at me all at once but there are times when I do need all that. Reviews on there helps with searching too. Free and accurate service haven’t had a problem with using Expedia.

Mhorne182

February 26th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked some hotels here recently. The interface is nice and we found the best deal with best perks on Expedia. We also earned rewards. Would definitely use again.

Michelle Rios

February 26th, 2020 Ogden, UT

Expedia has a great platform when looking to compare prices for airfare, hotels and parks. We have used them to help us save money when planning our trip to Disneyland. They have great customer service when questions arise. Thank you for providing an awesome service... Expedia!

David T

February 25th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a good site to find good deals on travel. Their website is easy to navigate and understand.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve used Expedia a few times for my travel needs. The site is very user friendly and it can set up your entire trip from airline tickets, to car rentals, to hotels, to transportation, etc...the even offer monthly payments to pay for your trips. I’ve been very happy with my purchases thru Expedia.

mccandless24

February 25th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I found a good deal on a hotel with Expedia but I did find I was booking through a third party and almost lost my room even though we pre-paid for it. Very stressful situation. I would hope that when I book it is directly with the establishment.

JR Suguturaga

February 25th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia was able to provide good deals on short notice, it's website is also pretty easy to navigate.

Brenda Horne

February 25th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is where I always go when I put together a vacation package--flight, car, hotel. They have a user-friendly online format to see what is available, and their costumer service representatives have always been very helpful when I've had additional questions.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is an enormous asset in finding low cost airfare with quality airlines. I saw a mountain of choices when searching for personal travel options. Great search tool and easy booking and reservations.

Lori Fletcher

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great search engine, but their prices aren't discounted much. We had a problem with one of the hotels and they don't help and just say to call the hotel and deal with them on that.

Customer

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very helpful to find what I wanted but won’t use them for the actual purchase because they are still to high in price.

Audrey Mitchell

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia has been so helpful when planning places to stay while traveling. The pricing is up to date and they have reliable places to stay.

Eddie Rios

February 18th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia offers tremendous value in cost and time savings. They are an easy site to find cheap travel options with great travel brands. The site can be trusted with your personal info and the reservations are fool proof-no mistakes. Great online portal to use for travel planning.

Jon Robinson

February 18th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great for finding package deals. I always check this site anytime I am planning a trip.

Reckholdt

February 11th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia a lot in the past. Intend to find Vermonter deals now on other sights but every once in a while we snag a deal that pops up through them.

Jami Lucas

February 10th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the options that there are. However I wish that the fees weren’t so high to use them.

Vee Poli

February 7th, 2020 East Brunswick, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked a bundle deal through Expedia app to Jamaica not realizing that the hotel room I picked was almost 4 hours away and a $700 shuttle. Spoke to customer service and their excuse was I should’ve checked! But flying into another country I did not think a bundle deal will send me to a 4 hours away hotel. If I pick to fly into New York will they have a bundle deal for me to stay in Boston. I don’t believe so. No part of it makes sense at all. And it’s so hard to even find a reasonable shuttle that even takes you that far. How that’s part of their bundle deal I don’t understand

T H

February 7th, 2020 Vancouver, BC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What is up with the people that answers the calls at Expedia?? Expedia used to be good and now they have weird and awkward reps that answer the calls. Booked an all inclusive package and needed more information about my booking and I get connected to the all inclusive vacation line, and this man basically turned every inquiry that I made into what shouldn't have been so complicated. How many different ways do I need to word: how many beds are included in the hotel room I booked? He seemed appalled and shocked and confused by this question. His attitude made it seem like it was a burden to answer any of my questions and almost as if he was doing ME a favor by answering. WELL MY APOLOGIES EXPEDIA! Sorry to hassle you by giving you money to use your service. I am now considering cancelling this package as I am utterly disgusted by how Expedia treats their customers. WOULD NEVER BOOK AGAIN AND DEFINITELY SPREADING THE WORD SO THAT NOBODY BOOKS WITH THIS AWFUL COMPANY AGAIN!

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Expedia to book my flight to Italy and found a great option that was better than other sites.

A’lea Richardson

February 7th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One of my favorite sites to book on. Very easy to navigate and it always has the best deals! Love their point system also

Darbles32

February 5th, 2020 Managua, MN

Expedia is a great sight to find flights and hotels because even if you have found a place or flight they will tell you if they find a cheaper one along the way

Juliann Mecham

February 3rd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a nice site to help you find nice flights. I fly fairly often to not the cheapest places for not the longest amount of time, so it is nice to use Expedia. I would recommend.

Aimee Mortensen

February 3rd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is my go to for travel planning. I’ve found the best deals on flights and can often bundle with a hotel and/or car for increased savings.

Bryndie

January 30th, 2020 Managua, MN

Great site to find cheaper travel options. Pretty easy to use and book through. They do send a lot of emails once you enter your email address though

Lynsey Beebee

January 29th, 2020 Tonbridge, KEN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT BOOK WITH EXPEDIA !!!!!!! OUR FAMILY HAVE BEEN TREATED APPALLINGLY. WE BOOKED WITH EXPEDIA TO PALMA AT NEW YEAR AND WHEN WE ARRIVED OUR HOTEL WAS CLOSED !!!! EXPEDIA REFUSED TO HELP EVEN THOUGH WE HAD A CHILD WITH US. WE HAD TO FIND, BOOK AND PAY FOR ANOTHER HOTEL OURSELVES !!! DESPITE BEING PROMISED A REFUND WE ARE YET TO RECEIVE ONE. WE HAVE BEEN PASSED FROM DEPARTMENT TO DEPARTMENT WITH NO APOLOGIES, NO RESPONSIBILITY AND NO SYMPATHY. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN SHOCKING . BOOK AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!

Cam McClellan

January 27th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia a few times and it has been nice to see from a bunch of different sites who has the best price.

Madison Kneiss

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use expedia for most all of our travel plans. love being able to plan an entire trip with one site. hotel, flight, and car rental.

Abigail Cole

January 21st, 2020 Milton, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We booked our trip to Paris through Expedia and prepaid for the Paris shuttle to pick us up at the airport. We called multiple times and just got a recording. I sent an email with no response. We finally took a cab to our hotel. 4hrs later I get a response email from the shuttle co asking if we are still at the hotel. I contacted Expedia requesting a refund and submitted the email from the shuttle co They only approved a partial refund. This is so disappointing as I have traveled through them for years domestically. This was my first international trip and I will never use them again!

Expediadoesntcare

January 20th, 2020 Peoria, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Never again! After a booking problem we were promised a refund to rebook. Property had already approved the rebook. We spent five days in multiple phone calls with promises that one person or another just had to sign off. After five days they said too bad we're not doing it after all and left us homeless for a week.

Zac Cannon

January 17th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Expedia to schedule and book almost all of my flights. I can get great rewards after saving up points and the hotel booking is as easy as the flights as well.

Mickey Mangum

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used expedia for several vacations and the deals are really good. The only downside is you are sometimes charge resort fees on site they don't mention. Also, the cheaper rooms will be upper floors at the end of hallways (lesser desirable rooms).

Patrick Callicotte

January 3rd, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was stranded for over 2 hours and Expedia doesn't care. I just talked to Expedia corporate and they told me that Hertz's response was an adequate resolution to this situation: On Dec 27, I flew to Tampa, Florida to then drive to Clearwater to visit a sick family member. After taking a cab to the Hertz location at 6037 N Dale Mabry Hwy, I arrived at 7:30am. I was told that even though I had booked a rental car well in advance through Expedia, and that my reservation was confirmed by Hertz, they had zero cars available. They let me know that they had no clue when they would get more rental cars and that my options were to wait at the rental facility or leave my contact and credit card information for them to call me when a car became available. Because I had no where to go, I had to wait at the facility. I sat in that rental facility, unsure that I would get a car at all and horrified that I was unable to get to my sick family member, where the only bathroom was for "staff only," for over 2 hours before being told that cars were on their way. When a car for me finally arrived, I was shocked to see the employee driving the car was smoking a cigarette as she got out of the car. Once my car was cleaned and fueled, I entered the car and was immediately hit with an extremely potent smell of cigarette smoke. When I brought it up to the employee, she pointed out the fact that it was the only car available and that if I didn't want it, they would give it to the next customers waiting. I left in the disgusting car at 9:50am. To make all of this worse, I was on the phone with Expedia customer service for 1 hour 45 minutes. During this time I was hung up on twice as employees tried to transfer me to supervisors. When I finally talked to a supervisor (after finally getting my car) their response was that they were sorry and they asked if there was any other issues I could help with. I just talked to Expedia corporate and they told me that Hertz's response was an adequate resolution to this situation. I have always booked my travels through Expedia and I am so disappointed in the response of their customer service.