Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Expedia reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Protection

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Travel Protection

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, Expedia will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

View Best Travel Sites

Aliza Henline
October 15th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

What I looooove about Expedia is that when you are purchasing a ticket- it brings you right to the cart without you having to navigate two websites at once. I did feel like they were kind of annoying with emails after my purchase, so that's why I didn't give it five stars.

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I mostly book hotels through Expedia. I like their large selection of hotels at all different prices and amenities. I also like that they have an internal review platform with a good base of customer reviews. It helps to make good choices.

bailey jo
October 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

They send a lot of unnecessary emails and their deals are never what I'm looking for. I do like they offer bundles, just wish they would be what I need.

ave
October 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

One of the best websites for booking travel. Whether it is a flight or a hotel, Expedia can beat anyones prices if you check often enough. They also offer a 24 grace period if you decide to change your mind, which is awesome for those of us who want the really good deal, but are not sure we can pull off the vacation.

Amy Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We purchased our airplane tickets for our florida trip through here. It was easy and I appreciated that they sent me updates for any change in time that the flight had prior to leaving.

Ellen Morris
October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS

I love that I can so easily find all-inclusive resorts on Expedia. The site makes it so easy to view the amenities and reality of a hotel in another location and their prices are usually good too. Plus I love that I can bundle it so easily with a flight.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

Expedia is how we pay for cheap flights and hotel deals to travel often. We can find the most affordable options, anywhere we want to go.

Garrett Mingus
October 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I booked my honeymoon through Expedia and was very impressed with how much money we were able to save. By bundling airfare and hotel I saved money and the whole process was much easier then I was expecting. Really happy with my experience.

Sherry Arnold
October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Good site for information, but I won't book tickets through this service again. I arrived at the airport to find that my seat wasn't guaranteed because I purchased through Expedia. I almost didn't make it home in time, so I won't purchase through them again.

Joy Hill
October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I like the site, but every time I try to do the bid thing, my prices are rejected. I much prefer hotwire.com instead of trying to guess what the price will be.

Ted Johnson
September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use Expedia every time I am looking for a hotel, a rental car, a flight, and many other options for travel. They always give me choices and I can make a good decision with the facts at my fingertips.

Miles Strother
September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Expedia is the website I usually use when looking for vacations/flights. I can usually find the best deals through them, the website is simple, and they have a good rewards program.

LHawlish
September 11th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS

I could not be more disappointed in Expedia and their booking process, as well as their customer service department and their refund department. I have been a customer of Expedia for at least 10 years now. I have had my fair share of minor booking issues with them, however it never hit me in the pocket, and I overlooked Expedia's shortcomings, due to their convenience and reputation. NEVER AGAIN. I will never, ever use Expedia EVER AGAIN. Not only did the website completely screw up on a hotel reservation of mine, but after hours of utterly frustrating time spent on the phone with their very incompetent (oversees) staff, my issue and more importantly my REFUND was never resolved. Even after I was assured that I would receive a refund, it never came and was eventually denied. Their reasoning??? They stated that I was never promised a refund! Even though they have recorded calls, they LIED to me and stated that the audio recording (of at least 60 mins) did not reflect a promise of refund. A flat-out, blatant lie. What kind of customer service is this?? Not only will I never use this company again, I will make sure that everyone I encounter knows how terrible this company is and I will insist (and better yet, convince) that they never use this company again, either. Plus, I am going to post this review on every single format I can find. Take that!

Darrin Henry
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love to use Expedia for my travel needs. Car, Hotel, Airline and more. They make it easy in every way.

Kristiane R Durfey
September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really liked that I could compare flight prices between airlines. The website was easy to use and I love that I can get a flight, hotel, and rental car all in one place and not feel like I was being taken advantage of. I always go to Expedia now.

Gordon Gibb
August 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Website and phone app are friendly and easy to use. Results come up instantly. Easy to cancel or reschedule lodging if needed.

Krystal Taylor
August 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love how easy it is to navigate Expedia's website, it makes travel planning less stressful.

Mazi Marcel Womack
August 2nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

Expedia is a great travel website. I have been able to find great prices for all my travel needs.

Keeli Hansen
July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

It’s a good company and has quality reviews that really helped determine what travel company I wanted to use

Lucy
July 15th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Great way to book flights, hotels, and even excursions. Very trust worthy and no need to worry if it was going to work. Always works and have no problems.

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

We used Expedia for our recent vacation and loved it. The prices were very affordable and we loved all the extra add ons that came with us booking through them. They were very helpful and did their best to make our stay the most enjoyable.

Brooklyn May
July 11th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Booked a hotel through Expedia and it was perfect! Very reliable and trust worthy. Got my confirmation number and it still went through to the hotel. Had no problems and it was cheaper.

Breanne Stanko
July 8th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I’ve booked a few hotels and even excursions and every single one worked out perfectly. Very trustworthy and great prices overall!

Terra Stanko
July 8th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

Excellent website to book hotels, flights and excursions. Trustworthy company and easy to find what you are looking for. Adding different filters to narrow down your search. I love booking through Expedia.

matthew
July 1st, 2019 Logan, UT

booked a hotel through Expedia and it went through perfectly. great low prices. easy to navigate and get confirmation numbers with.

Rosann Stanko
June 28th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

We have used Expedia several times and been pleased with the results. The prices have saved us money for our trips.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Good company to go through when booking flights, hotels, and excursions. Very reliable and website is easy to understand and follow.

Francis
June 25th, 2019 Springfield, OR DETAILS

God help you if you ever have to deal with Expedia's customer service. We booked a rather complicated flight plan across three airlines. Looked it over before submitting and it all looked good. So we submitted. Got our confirmation via email and noticed that one of the first names had an extra letter in it. So this name no longer matches exactly to the passport. Immediately used the Expedia name correction feature, with a photo of passport. This was submitted. Next email post says Air Canada will not make the correction - contact Air Canada. We do, Air Canada says Expedia needs to send the correct info for them to make the correction. We call Expedia Customer Service, which seemed to be an overseas call center. The only thing this call center seemed interested in was up selling us to bundle extra stuff to the trip such as Car Rental, Hotels,... etc. And they constantly re-directed away from the central issue of the Name Correction and when we do finally corner them, they say that this request can not be processed at this time. And that we should again call Air Canada. Air Canada again says that only Expedia can originate a name correction, as Expedia is the Booking Agent Many, many phone calls later to Expedia Customer Service, our options seem to change for the worst everytime we call: Each call lasting nearly an hour, each call ending with, "We can not complete the name correction at this time. please call back later." After two weeks of almost daily calls to ECS, and each time having them snip away at any sort of reasonable solution, the only option Expedia was willing to entertain was for us to sacrifice the entire airfare for the passenger that needed the name correction. This is a sum of $1755, and to rebook an entire new flight plan for that person: No credits, no refund. We are, 76 days from the schedualed flight. So we have filed a case with the USA Aviation Consumer Protection Division of DOT. And at least one airline, United, has got back to us, immediately, and said that they would work to help resolve this in any way that they could. For us, it is useless to call Expedia any more. We think that this Customer Service call center, even at the supervisior level, doesn't have direct access to the Expedia Airline Booking System, cause over multiple occassions they end every conversation, even after an hour or two on the phone, with "We are unable to make that change at this time." We don't think that they can make any changes aside from adding other bookings like hotels and car rentals and such. So it isn't really a Customer Service that is being offered.

susie
June 20th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

i have used expedia recently. and i loved it. me and my friends got some cheaper deals. and the service is so good too. we got some cool little excursions that came with it too and it was so nice to have those too. and very cheap too.

Kaitlin Ashcroft
June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I booked a trip through Expedia for a weekend trip with my husband and didn’t love it. The hotel wasn’t what was shown in the pictures and I later found out that I could have gotten our room for a better price.

Nicholas
June 18th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL DETAILS

I use Expedia often for booking flights. Almost always the cheapest flights around with reliable airlines. One of my favorite travel search resources.

Whitney Stanko
June 17th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Booked a hotel through the site. At first I was a little worried but once I got the confirmation email and confirmation from the actual hotel it was great. When we arrived at the hotel there was an Expedia guy who was there to help us and tell us about what all our cost included and other ways to book excursions. Super great company to book through

Haley Baldwin
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

I recently booked a hotel through Expedia and I loved it! My stay came with many added perks because of it and they got me such a great deal. They were also so helpful and their customer service was great. They checked on us throughout our stay. I will use Expedia again.

Courtney Eames
June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Expedia was great! I recently went on a trip with them and I felt like I got the best deal! We had a guy who was at the hotel upon arrival to make sure we got the best possible service. He was there to help us and answer our questions the whole trip! I will definitely be using them again in the future!

Sierra Beck
June 10th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I was on a trip and had to get a last minute hotel for the night. I was looking on a ton of sites and Expedia had the best value. It was late and in Las Vegas and so much was full but I was able to find a hotel and the booking process was simple.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love using Expedia as a start for booking flights. I prefer to book through the actual service providers website though. Things seem to go much better that way. But it’s a great way to know where to look

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I had a really negative customer service experience with Expedia--we booked our flights on the wrong date, and they were so hard to work with.

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Experience has mostly been positive. Checking out, even when I have an account with payment info already entered, takes way too long and I'm often told that a room or car is no longer available by the time I can confirm purchase.

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

Expedia has been helpful for finding things to do on vacation and places to stay. I usually opt for other sites first but this has been helpful in the past

Brittany Bray
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

Expedia is my go to! They have great deals. 9/10 times I book with Expedia before anywhere else for my trips.

Caleah Streater
May 29th, 2019 DETAILS

excellent, easy booking and allowed the user of paypal

Sarah
May 29th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Love Expedia when I am looking for places to go. In fact just used it again to find an all inclusive resort. It is so easy because it’s all online and straightforward. And I trust it.

Alyssa skinner
May 28th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Just booked a hotel off of Expedia. It was so easy and the price of the hotel was the best I had found. I was able to contact the hotel soon after booking and Expedia sent me a confirmation email minutes after booking.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019

I have been able to find flights for good prices through Expedia, but I prefer to use Kayak because it lets me search multiple travel sites at one. Expedia’s site is easy to navigate.

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

I love Expedia! Over the past 3 years I have been in Utah while my parents have been in Alabama. I have had the chance to travel to visit them often, but getting flights has been a challenge. Expedia has been a wonderful tool for me. I have had it track flights for me and monitor the change in pricing to help me find the best ticket for me. I would recommend this to anyone that is looking for tickets but does not have a large amount of time to spend on this. Great company. Great search capabilities.

BLF
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have booked several flights and hotel accommodations through Expedia and I really like that they have a 24 hour cancelation policy. I sometimes will book something and then change my mind, so it is a nice feature.

Ashley
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We enjoy using Expedia for our travel needs. When we have a last minute trip I like to check Expedia because they seem to have the best deals for hotels. The reviews are people just like me trying to find the best deal out there. I've never been disappointed with the Expedia choices on their website. I would highly recommend this company.

Virginia Rosenthal
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I always go to Expedia to find hotel fairs for my kids tournaments. Sometimes our travel plans don't allow us to pre-book so it is nice that Expedia clearly states if there is a penalty for cancellation of a reservation. I also like how easy it is to cancel a reservation.

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Expedia many times, usually for a hotel, or a rental car. They have a great selection of options, it is easy to fill out what I am looking for and they also give you the ability to compare to other companies. when I booked through them, it is easy to pay and the price doesn't fluctuate and I trust that I will be taken care of.

Zsofia Lazarte
May 14th, 2019 DETAILS

My experience was ok, the person helping us book experiences at our hotel was helpful and knowledgeable but the experiences turned out to be a little disappointing since we expected something different.