Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Expedia reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Protection

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Travel Protection

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, Expedia will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

View Best Travel Sites

4.1

Zac Cannon

January 17th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Expedia to schedule and book almost all of my flights. I can get great rewards after saving up points and the hotel booking is as easy as the flights as well.

Mickey Mangum

January 14th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used expedia for several vacations and the deals are really good. The only downside is you are sometimes charge resort fees on site they don't mention. Also, the cheaper rooms will be upper floors at the end of hallways (lesser desirable rooms).

Patrick Callicotte

January 3rd, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was stranded for over 2 hours and Expedia doesn't care. I just talked to Expedia corporate and they told me that Hertz's response was an adequate resolution to this situation: On Dec 27, I flew to Tampa, Florida to then drive to Clearwater to visit a sick family member. After taking a cab to the Hertz location at 6037 N Dale Mabry Hwy, I arrived at 7:30am. I was told that even though I had booked a rental car well in advance through Expedia, and that my reservation was confirmed by Hertz, they had zero cars available. They let me know that they had no clue when they would get more rental cars and that my options were to wait at the rental facility or leave my contact and credit card information for them to call me when a car became available. Because I had no where to go, I had to wait at the facility. I sat in that rental facility, unsure that I would get a car at all and horrified that I was unable to get to my sick family member, where the only bathroom was for "staff only," for over 2 hours before being told that cars were on their way. When a car for me finally arrived, I was shocked to see the employee driving the car was smoking a cigarette as she got out of the car. Once my car was cleaned and fueled, I entered the car and was immediately hit with an extremely potent smell of cigarette smoke. When I brought it up to the employee, she pointed out the fact that it was the only car available and that if I didn't want it, they would give it to the next customers waiting. I left in the disgusting car at 9:50am. To make all of this worse, I was on the phone with Expedia customer service for 1 hour 45 minutes. During this time I was hung up on twice as employees tried to transfer me to supervisors. When I finally talked to a supervisor (after finally getting my car) their response was that they were sorry and they asked if there was any other issues I could help with. I just talked to Expedia corporate and they told me that Hertz's response was an adequate resolution to this situation. I have always booked my travels through Expedia and I am so disappointed in the response of their customer service.

Jonathanb

January 3rd, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Here is a pro tip about saving time and money: Never order tickets, or anything, with Expedia.com I booked a flight with them. They misspelled my surname by changing the place of two letters. I called... and called again. Two weeks, four phone calls, four departments and 6.5 hours later (in total), the name on the tickets has yet to be changed. They are after my money, you see. The flight cost 900+ dollars. If they can convince me to cancel and re-book the flight, then they would only refund 300 dollars. Brilliant eh? I have spoken with Helen, Ashley, Alex, Andy, Elton, Maria, Reggie, Paulo and Elsa (most of them 'senior representatives' or 'managers'), from whom I got no less than four different 'case numbers' and countless false promises. They also never call you back, though they promise to every single time at the end of each conversation. All I ever got from you were excuses, and blaming Swiss airlines for your own poor service. SHAME ON YOU EXPEDIA! You did not just lose a single customer - you lost every single person I will ever speak with about online ordering of flights, hotels and car rentals. BEWARE OF EXPEDIA!! If this is what I had to go through at home, just imagine how awful if you are stuck at an airport. Never again. By the way, I have all 6.5 hours recorded. It is like slow torture. Worse than watching politicians on TV.

benr

December 31st, 2019 Charleston, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I ordered 3 separate cabins through expedia and was supposed to get $1000 onboard credit and free drinks while on the cruise. The promotions showed available and highlighted throughout the ordering process in November. Right before the cruise I contacted them to confirm a few details and was given the run around before speaking with a manager on the situation. They advised I do not choose the correct package even though their sales screen highlights the specials given they are not always valid. Norwegian was offering the same package with the credit and the drinks for essentially the same price but I had difficulty ordering 3 rooms through them which is why I used expedia.

Jacob

December 31st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia has amazing travel packages making it cheaper to see the world. I also love their flexibility with refunding when something goes wrong.

Stacie

December 30th, 2019 Golden, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is user friendly. My mom is able to use the app. I like that it does all the work for you.

Charles Mallow

December 20th, 2019 Rochester, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

on't book cruises with Expedia. They make offers for onboard credit just like the cruise companies do but, unlike the other companies they hide forms in the small print that you have to complete so, that you don't get your credit. If I would have booked my cruise directly with the cruise company I would have received the credit. Instead Expedia pocketed my money. The topic of conversation on the shuttle back was how none of us got our onboard credit from Expedia. in one van there was 3 couples who were swindled, can you imagine how many people Expedia takes advantage of in a day? Dirty company!! Beware!!!!

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

I don't mind Expedia when planning a trip, but I don't like all the windows I have to go through when I'm just trying to book a flight. It gives you hotels, rental cars, and more. Which is nice if I'm doing everything through there, but 99% of the time, that's not the case.

Juan

December 11th, 2019 Beaver, PA

I have searched on here for flights before. They have alot of options but don't always have the cheapest prices.

Roman Christiansen

December 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia has helped me find many travel destinations and has helped me have some amazing vacations!

Martha Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I travel quite often and we do use Expedia to help us find cheap airline tickets. I love how easy they make it to compare different airlines so that I can get the best price.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the service and I can understand your value. But you are ripe for messing up hotel stays. And I have had a couple go bad which sucks.

Amanda Rosen

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like their cancellation policy and how Expedia protects you when flights get cancelled

Tony

November 12th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Comparable to other online travel shopping sites. Portal is easy to use and search engine nets pretty good, targeted results.

Brittany Wilkinson

November 11th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We booked a vacation to Cancun through Expedia after lots of comparing. on websites. We were thrilled with the travel arrangements. The hotel was great. The flight was great. It all worked out perfectly and we loved the price we paid. It was a great value and we'd do it again in a heart beat.

Aliza Henline

October 15th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

What I looooove about Expedia is that when you are purchasing a ticket- it brings you right to the cart without you having to navigate two websites at once. I did feel like they were kind of annoying with emails after my purchase, so that's why I didn't give it five stars.

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I mostly book hotels through Expedia. I like their large selection of hotels at all different prices and amenities. I also like that they have an internal review platform with a good base of customer reviews. It helps to make good choices.

bailey jo

October 14th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They send a lot of unnecessary emails and their deals are never what I'm looking for. I do like they offer bundles, just wish they would be what I need.

ave

October 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One of the best websites for booking travel. Whether it is a flight or a hotel, Expedia can beat anyones prices if you check often enough. They also offer a 24 grace period if you decide to change your mind, which is awesome for those of us who want the really good deal, but are not sure we can pull off the vacation.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We purchased our airplane tickets for our florida trip through here. It was easy and I appreciated that they sent me updates for any change in time that the flight had prior to leaving.

Ellen Morris

October 9th, 2019 Potomac, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that I can so easily find all-inclusive resorts on Expedia. The site makes it so easy to view the amenities and reality of a hotel in another location and their prices are usually good too. Plus I love that I can bundle it so easily with a flight.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is how we pay for cheap flights and hotel deals to travel often. We can find the most affordable options, anywhere we want to go.

Garrett Mingus

October 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked my honeymoon through Expedia and was very impressed with how much money we were able to save. By bundling airfare and hotel I saved money and the whole process was much easier then I was expecting. Really happy with my experience.

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good site for information, but I won't book tickets through this service again. I arrived at the airport to find that my seat wasn't guaranteed because I purchased through Expedia. I almost didn't make it home in time, so I won't purchase through them again.

Joy Hill

October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the site, but every time I try to do the bid thing, my prices are rejected. I much prefer hotwire.com instead of trying to guess what the price will be.

Ted Johnson

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Expedia every time I am looking for a hotel, a rental car, a flight, and many other options for travel. They always give me choices and I can make a good decision with the facts at my fingertips.

Miles Strother

September 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is the website I usually use when looking for vacations/flights. I can usually find the best deals through them, the website is simple, and they have a good rewards program.

LHawlish

September 11th, 2019 Riverside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I could not be more disappointed in Expedia and their booking process, as well as their customer service department and their refund department. I have been a customer of Expedia for at least 10 years now. I have had my fair share of minor booking issues with them, however it never hit me in the pocket, and I overlooked Expedia's shortcomings, due to their convenience and reputation. NEVER AGAIN. I will never, ever use Expedia EVER AGAIN. Not only did the website completely screw up on a hotel reservation of mine, but after hours of utterly frustrating time spent on the phone with their very incompetent (oversees) staff, my issue and more importantly my REFUND was never resolved. Even after I was assured that I would receive a refund, it never came and was eventually denied. Their reasoning??? They stated that I was never promised a refund! Even though they have recorded calls, they LIED to me and stated that the audio recording (of at least 60 mins) did not reflect a promise of refund. A flat-out, blatant lie. What kind of customer service is this?? Not only will I never use this company again, I will make sure that everyone I encounter knows how terrible this company is and I will insist (and better yet, convince) that they never use this company again, either. Plus, I am going to post this review on every single format I can find. Take that!

Darrin Henry

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love to use Expedia for my travel needs. Car, Hotel, Airline and more. They make it easy in every way.

Kristiane R Durfey

September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really liked that I could compare flight prices between airlines. The website was easy to use and I love that I can get a flight, hotel, and rental car all in one place and not feel like I was being taken advantage of. I always go to Expedia now.

Gordon Gibb

August 19th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Website and phone app are friendly and easy to use. Results come up instantly. Easy to cancel or reschedule lodging if needed.

Krystal Taylor

August 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love how easy it is to navigate Expedia's website, it makes travel planning less stressful.

Mazi Marcel Womack

August 2nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a great travel website. I have been able to find great prices for all my travel needs.

Keeli Hansen

July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It’s a good company and has quality reviews that really helped determine what travel company I wanted to use

Lucy

July 15th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to book flights, hotels, and even excursions. Very trust worthy and no need to worry if it was going to work. Always works and have no problems.

Paige Baldwin

July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Expedia for our recent vacation and loved it. The prices were very affordable and we loved all the extra add ons that came with us booking through them. They were very helpful and did their best to make our stay the most enjoyable.

Brooklyn May

July 11th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked a hotel through Expedia and it was perfect! Very reliable and trust worthy. Got my confirmation number and it still went through to the hotel. Had no problems and it was cheaper.

Breanne Stanko

July 8th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve booked a few hotels and even excursions and every single one worked out perfectly. Very trustworthy and great prices overall!

Terra Stanko

July 8th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent website to book hotels, flights and excursions. Trustworthy company and easy to find what you are looking for. Adding different filters to narrow down your search. I love booking through Expedia.

matthew

July 1st, 2019 Logan, UT

booked a hotel through Expedia and it went through perfectly. great low prices. easy to navigate and get confirmation numbers with.

Rosann Stanko

June 28th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia several times and been pleased with the results. The prices have saved us money for our trips.

Braden Stanko

June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good company to go through when booking flights, hotels, and excursions. Very reliable and website is easy to understand and follow.

Francis

June 25th, 2019 Springfield, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

God help you if you ever have to deal with Expedia's customer service. We booked a rather complicated flight plan across three airlines. Looked it over before submitting and it all looked good. So we submitted. Got our confirmation via email and noticed that one of the first names had an extra letter in it. So this name no longer matches exactly to the passport. Immediately used the Expedia name correction feature, with a photo of passport. This was submitted. Next email post says Air Canada will not make the correction - contact Air Canada. We do, Air Canada says Expedia needs to send the correct info for them to make the correction. We call Expedia Customer Service, which seemed to be an overseas call center. The only thing this call center seemed interested in was up selling us to bundle extra stuff to the trip such as Car Rental, Hotels,... etc. And they constantly re-directed away from the central issue of the Name Correction and when we do finally corner them, they say that this request can not be processed at this time. And that we should again call Air Canada. Air Canada again says that only Expedia can originate a name correction, as Expedia is the Booking Agent Many, many phone calls later to Expedia Customer Service, our options seem to change for the worst everytime we call: Each call lasting nearly an hour, each call ending with, "We can not complete the name correction at this time. please call back later." After two weeks of almost daily calls to ECS, and each time having them snip away at any sort of reasonable solution, the only option Expedia was willing to entertain was for us to sacrifice the entire airfare for the passenger that needed the name correction. This is a sum of $1755, and to rebook an entire new flight plan for that person: No credits, no refund. We are, 76 days from the schedualed flight. So we have filed a case with the USA Aviation Consumer Protection Division of DOT. And at least one airline, United, has got back to us, immediately, and said that they would work to help resolve this in any way that they could. For us, it is useless to call Expedia any more. We think that this Customer Service call center, even at the supervisior level, doesn't have direct access to the Expedia Airline Booking System, cause over multiple occassions they end every conversation, even after an hour or two on the phone, with "We are unable to make that change at this time." We don't think that they can make any changes aside from adding other bookings like hotels and car rentals and such. So it isn't really a Customer Service that is being offered.

susie

June 20th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

i have used expedia recently. and i loved it. me and my friends got some cheaper deals. and the service is so good too. we got some cool little excursions that came with it too and it was so nice to have those too. and very cheap too.

Kaitlin Ashcroft

June 20th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked a trip through Expedia for a weekend trip with my husband and didn’t love it. The hotel wasn’t what was shown in the pictures and I later found out that I could have gotten our room for a better price.

Nicholas

June 18th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Expedia often for booking flights. Almost always the cheapest flights around with reliable airlines. One of my favorite travel search resources.

Whitney Stanko

June 17th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked a hotel through the site. At first I was a little worried but once I got the confirmation email and confirmation from the actual hotel it was great. When we arrived at the hotel there was an Expedia guy who was there to help us and tell us about what all our cost included and other ways to book excursions. Super great company to book through

Haley Baldwin

June 17th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently booked a hotel through Expedia and I loved it! My stay came with many added perks because of it and they got me such a great deal. They were also so helpful and their customer service was great. They checked on us throughout our stay. I will use Expedia again.

Courtney Eames

June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia was great! I recently went on a trip with them and I felt like I got the best deal! We had a guy who was at the hotel upon arrival to make sure we got the best possible service. He was there to help us and answer our questions the whole trip! I will definitely be using them again in the future!