Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.8

Michael Taylor

October 20th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I know there are a lot of travels sites that are out there but this is the one I latched onto. Easy to use and always seem to have good prices and choices. Customer service has been very helpful when I have had to call them.

Leeta

October 9th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We always search Expedia first and have always been able to find what we need very quickly. Rates are reasonable and very competitive. Our needs are always met through their service.

Morgan whiting

October 3rd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked a trip through them and got an excellent price on a hotel. I love that you can book everything on one site, the airfare, hotel, and rental car.

MiKE McWilliams

September 19th, 2020 Little Rock, AR

use Expedia to locate sources for travel services. Do not book through Expedia because I do not trust confirmations

JMeyer

September 17th, 2020 Somerset, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is generally my go to place for travel. They do have ways of making bundle deals affordable, but sometimes affordable means lacking, read all accommodations reviews and check the hotel website, before booking. I have been disappointed a few times because I choose most affordable instead of Expedia’s choice. Expedia does give ratings for accommodations, use them.

Kate Lillywhite

September 15th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I trust Expedia with my travel needs. One stop shopping to check prices on everything from flights, to rental cars to hotel rooms!

Lkirton

September 15th, 2020 Park City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have booked many trips through Expedia. I will continue to book through them because I know I am getting the best price around! They are always helpful when we have any questions.

Patrick Curry

September 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

Was always reluctant on using a travel search site but was amazed on how easy it was to use and the actual savings I saved. Love this site now

Esmeralda C

September 14th, 2020 Sylmar, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Expedia for many years for all my trip needs. From flights to hotels, it is very quick and easy to use.

Eric Wilkinson

September 14th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like to price and plan our family vacations. Expedia makes it easy to see what we need to budget for our trip and if we can afford to take the kids or if we have to leave them at grandma's. It's really easy to see how much air and hotel will cost.

George Marc Alderman

September 14th, 2020 Alexandria, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avoid Expedia at all cost! We had a trip booked this spring on Turkish Air. When it was cancelled we tried to get our money back. Expedia says Turkish Air needs to refund it and Turkish Air says Expedia needs to refund it. As far as I can tell, Expedia needs to get the money back from Turkish Air and Expedia needs to pay US. Expedia is passing the buck and not helping get money we paid to THEM. AVOID EXPEDIA!

Dayna

September 13th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia for so many things. We always get good deals in hotels and also car rentals and airfare. It’s our go to when we need overall vacation planning deals.

Tagg

September 10th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia makes it really easy to find good prices on travel, including air and hotel. I love using them.

Tiauna Anderson

September 10th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Expedia for my most recent trip to visit family and it was great. We didn't need a hotel, but found great pricing for flight and car rental on their site. It's easy to use and we definitely recommend!

Kim Young

September 9th, 2020 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Expedia to find the best deals when traveling for work. It saves my clients' money and is very easy to use.

Irinna Danielson

September 9th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I first started using Expedia to book air travel, and while I still do use it to find cheap flights, I've been impressed with the hotel deals feature on the site. I now find myself logging in to find good deals on hotels when we're going on vacation. It's easy to use, it's nice to see comparative prices in one spot, and it's a nice one-stop shop to take care of all my travel needs.

Wayne Young

September 9th, 2020 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a helpful site that gathers good rates from various travel companies like airlines and hotels to help you put together a trip. The site is reliable in making reservations.

Gayle Greene

September 7th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve used Expedia for several years. It has been an easy way to book flights and hotels. We just didn’t like how hard it was to change a flight.

Jeremy Brown

September 5th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the website and convenience of Expedia. I wish they had better selection at time and I have hit the 6 person limit when planning a couple times.

Ashley Ulibarri

September 5th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia always seems to have the best deals and best hotels. I like that I can eat points and rewards when booking through them and booking through their app is so easy and fast.

Yolanda Briganti

September 5th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia found me a flight for my sister from LA to SLC with the cheapest flight. It didn't take very long.

Emily Turn

September 4th, 2020 Kamas, UT

Honestly, I don’t love Expedia. They own so many companies that it’s impossible to reach them in a timely manner if you need to change something. Book direct!

Danielle LeCheminant

September 3rd, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their prices were good and the flights and everything worked out when we booked through them versus other travel sites.

Jolene

September 3rd, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to use. I like to compare the prices of trips and see all my options. Always seem to find the best deals on trips.

noahemm

August 26th, 2020 White Plains, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst customer service! They're based in India and cant understand what you need done. Ive spent over 3 hours trying to use my credit to book a new flight

marva layne

August 16th, 2020 Concord, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia enabled booking of a cottage on their website that was not available for rent. The family with three children under 5 and an essential worker booked one week at the cottage only to find out by coincidence from the owner of the cottage that they told expedia to remove the cottage and they did nothing about instead continue to take bookings for the cottage. Expedia customer service was very bad, they keep hanging up on me everytime I called them to get a resolution. In addition, the owner said Expedia sent 3-4 or more families to the cottage and each time they were turned away. Expedia did not offer any compensation for disappointing the family. BE CAREFUL RENTING COTTAGES FROM EXPEDIA AS YOU MAY GET DISAPPOINTED JUST AS THIS FAMILY DID.

Mike

July 28th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is easily a 0 star company. I have used Expedia for years. Gold member actually. Never had to many issues, but since this Covid epidemic they seem to be doing nothing. Maybe their company is struggling and they are trying to steal from as many customers as they can that don't stick out with complaints. I booked a large Europe trip at the beginning of 2020. Over 5000 for 3 people for over a month. Covid hit later and the troubles began with this company. Granted I did get some refunds BUT, these are not the hard labor result of Expedia. This was due to the original company's canceling flights, shutting down hotels or allowing people to reschedule their trip, a pretty ethical solution. For example, my hotel in London noted that since the ban on Americans occurred they cancelled all booking and gave out refunds, you could rebook and all rebookings came with a no charge booking change for further issues. Expedia may take credit for those results but don't be fooled, its 100% at the ethics of the hotel or flight company. I had 3 bookings where, after hours with a damn robot answering my questions I got an automated answer of sorry, not within the hotels policies to change or refund. Obviously in January those are normal bookings, the world has crumbled since, America in particular as well as the EU set a ban on Americans from entering the EU, still the EU has no say of the decision of a hotel I suppose. I have left multiple reviews on multiple sites including several complaints on BBB. I hope Expedia takes a hit financial as the free market should dictate crappy companies get crappy results. Somehow with a monstrous decline in travel all throughout the world, their stock fell to 45$ to currently today 84$. Either inflated or bailed out. I don't see how a company can add billions to their company in a few month with no a fraction of the business. Rich B, Barry D and some random guy buying them coffee, I hope you have a sincerely terrible year full of lawsuits, fines and a papercut.

Thi L

July 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Due to COVID-19, I was unable to travel overseas due to travel ban restrictions. I booked a non-refundable accommodation back in 2019, the accommodation stay date was in June. Expedia claims they have their own policies and it states on their website that I am eligible for a full refund or voucher. I requested a full refund. I could not cancel due to the website glitch so I requested Expedia company to cancel on my behalf. I have attempted to contact the hotel myself but it has been closed since April and still are currently closed. The Expedia agents confirmed the company still currently has my money as the transaction to the hotel has not been processed (due to the hotel being closed). It’s been an ongoing 4 months of trying to get my full refund contacting via email and calls. They continuously delay and tell me to wait further and they will get back to me - this is a lie and again, I have to contact them to follow this up. Added photos of Expedia’s claims/policies for my current situation. But Expedia is unreliable and not credible. Do not book with this company.

Grace

May 28th, 2020 Bergenfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You would think that they have their customers in mind during this worldwide pandemic. Nope! I had a coupon from my canceled April trip (due to covid). I used it to book a room but then later had to change the dates. I press the cancel button and choose the option 'I have to change the date' because I had to work around with the dates and type of rooms because I had to match the credit amount. After playing around with the options, I try to re-book, but I couldn't because my coupon was gone. I call and wait half an hour to finally speak to someone. They tell me once you hit the cancel button, you forfeit your coupon. I ask nicely to give me back the coupon. "There's no way we can reinstate it in our system". I ask nicely to then give me expedia credit. "The system doesn't allow me to give you credit" I beg them, tell them I can't afford to lose $545. They don't care. Make sure never to cancel a coupon because you can only use it once people!

Aslihan Demirkaya

May 15th, 2020 Moraga, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am an Expedia customer for the last 15 years. I bought two way tickets 5 months ago and paid $1,499 and because of COVID 19, the return was was cancelled. I did not reach Expedia for 2 months but I got an email saying that I would get the refund! I called them today, waited for 1 hour, couldn't reach anyone. Then I contacted a real agent online and he told me that I got $0 as a refund! I am very upset that Expedia turned to be a scam company and did not care about their customers. Then why should I ever use Expedia again? You give "silver", "golden" names to your customers but the only thing you care is the money. This is not how the business is done! I will let everyone around me know how Expedia stole half of my money. They owe me $750 and they don't pay back and they don't care! Thank you Expedia! You lost me and you will loose tons of customers!

Connie Conner

May 10th, 2020 Council Bluffs, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They will tell you anything to get your booking but if there is an issue before, during or after the trip they are no where to be found. You cannot get ahold of them. Do not book thru them or you may end up stranded in another country with no help.

J. G.

April 14th, 2020 Raleigh, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would not recommend using Expedia to purchase airline tickets. Purchase directly from the airline company. I purchased round trip business class KLM airline tickets through Expedia to Europe in March 2020. I was notified by Delta (KLM partner) that my return KLM flights were cancelled the day before my departure due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Delta stated that they were trying to re-book my flights. They were unsuccessful. I attempted to contact Expedia for assistance in re-booking, but was put on hold for countless hours. I ended up purchasing another set of flight(s) back to the U.S. KLM has agreed to refund me the return ticket prices, but has informed me that I must do this through Expedia. Expedia refuses to refund the ticket price and will only offer vouchers for the cancelled flights. I have submitted a complaint against Expedia to the Department of Transportation and a dispute through my credit card company. This is the worst service that I have ever encountered. I have been put on hold on the telephone for as long as 7 hours only to be disconnected.

Max Cable

April 7th, 2020 Akron, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Of you are not app savy just call the hotel company. I booked two nights in Reno for the wrong date. When I got there there was no room available and I had to use credit card to get another place out ten miles with an taxi. Then instead of getting a refund they said I no-showed which yea I didn't have enough money or time to stay the days wrongly corrected. So buyer beware if you are traveling and hit wrong button accidently it's your problem not theirs!

RUTH CHI

April 2nd, 2020 Yakima, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

NO star! 0 star! Why isn’t it an option? Not only they didn’t help When I try to cancel because of COVID, They even said it’s SAFE to travel! So we end up going, because they don’t want u to cancel. While my husband and I were in Europe with COVID-19 and its out 10th wedding anniversary. Will in Prague everything was closed due to COVID-19, we tried to get home, but calling Expedia is impossible, the wait time is more then an hour and they cut u off, try the online chatting, they booked us even later flight. on top of that They tried to mark up the ticket price. at a moment of crisis they Still try to make $$$ off from you. Just when you are ready to click purchase, wait no seat, now it’s bauble the price! Oh other thing, Pls DO NOT BUY their insurance, cause you think I got myself perfected. Nope they used AIG Travel Guard But somehow AIG then pass u off to AON, which is the worst insurance company. Time like this, I believe ppl should have the compassion and try to help people getting back home not to make more money. And also because all the Europe countries is shutting down. With the insurance no luck getting your money back, they just pass u off on to another insurance company. Expedia and AIG and AON should be ashamed of themselves, while other doctors are on the line trying to save people, these big company is trying to squeeze more money from you.

jlindenschmidt

April 1st, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had to cancel flights due to the Covid crisis. Could not get through to them to cancel. Finally had to cancel through the airline and we were supposed to get a refund. That never arrived so I tried for days and finally got through to Expedia. After 2 hours on the phone she said I could rebook but I had to call them to do so. Since it's impossible to get anyone on the line there I asked her to wait while I looked up flights. She put me on hold and never came back. I finally had to call United (the airline) and they agreed to help me and rebook. NEVER use Expedia. They may be ok to shop on but always book through the airline or hotel directly.

Bryan Jensen

April 1st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are ready to use and have a lot of different tools to use to search for vacation package. I highly recommend.

Lola Swidler

March 29th, 2020 Marion, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst travel co ever. I purchased travel insurance and cant get through to anyone to get my refund. Worst experience ever.

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a great resource to find flight, car, and hotel bundles with trustworthy businesses and hotels. Also, very easy cancellations and good prices.

gg

March 19th, 2020 Accra, AA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible customer service. Wanted to cancel a flight, but turns out if my flight is within the next 7 days, I'll need to contact a customer service agent to do so. I don't understand why I can't cancel online like every other travel platform. Even so, their customer service agents are never available, and their chat feature is terribly broken.

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

when I went to seattle I booked my flight and hotel through Expedia and they saved me $400 dollars as opposed to booking separately!

Karen Torino

March 16th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Expedia for our families travel a lot over the past 5 years. I feel like I’m able to book travel easily. However I have found the rates to be a little bit more expensive than other travel sites or booking through hotels directly.

Dean

March 9th, 2020 Manhattan Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is the worst! Booked flights and paid extra $$$ for single baggage pre-check in, seat upgrade and travel insurance benefits only to find out that the "ticketed price" did not include anything that we paid for as indicated on Expedia's poorly designed web site. Called the barely-english-speaking Rep at Expedia (after waiting for 1 hour and 35 minutes) to clarify and/or cancel the trip. We were told that we are responsible for calling each of the airlines for our multi-distination reservations to cancel. Don't understand the Expedia "value" that we're paying for. I will NEVER use Expedia again. They are a scam, just like all of the other travel web sites. Call each of the airlines and got the same price offered by Expedia, and one of them was actually cheaper. Don't use travel web sites! They are the new "time share scam" of the travel industry. Buyer beware, especially the senior citizens.

Clay Magee

March 8th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia helps me find the cheapest and best flights no matter my destination or the time

Logan Hudson

March 7th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use expedia whenever I plan on staying at a hotel when I travel. The prices are always the cheapest compared to other sites and I feel safe with the security of my information.

AJ & Maria Ferguson

March 6th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We travel a lot in state (Utah) for our daughters' mountain biking races. Expedia has helped find the best hotels for our budget and hotels that will accommodate our family of 6. They were great also when we all came down with the flu during a family vacation and had to return a day early. We were able to get a refund for our night we didn't spend at the hotel.

Randi Nelson

March 6th, 2020 San José, SJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia helped me find the flights I needed at at the best price possible. I am very pleased with expedia

J Connelly

March 5th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used this a few times for hotels. They usually gave the cheapest rate and easy to use.

Lacey Horne

March 3rd, 2020 Clearfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the second place I check for deals. I also feel that this company is trust worthy with my reservations and that they’re getting me the best deals.

russbayles

March 3rd, 2020 Boise, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used Expedia lately for all my travels. So easy to plan a whole trip from plane tickets to car rental to hotel is nice to have on one app. Will continue to use their service.