Expedia Logo

Expedia

8.3

Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.8

Kathleen Orton Tiverton, RI

During the pandemic our flights and hotels were canceled. Full refunds were approved by all, but Expedia stole our money and refused to refund it. They told us lie after lie and their customer service lies, hangs up or keeps you on hold for days until you give up. I joined a couple of Facebook groups for people who were being robbed by Expedia and there are thousands, all over the world. This company is deceptive and dishonest and people should never trust them with their money.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Expedia is a pretty decent travel website. But to be honest, they don't really save you as much money as they claim they do. If you compare their prices to the prices of a hotel or a flight, it's usually not much savings at all. Plus they don't ever have Southwest as an airline to choose.

Garrett Martin Austin, TX

DON'T BOOK 1ST CLASS WITH EXPEDIA - YOU WILL REGRET - Booked American Airlines 1st Class ($6k for the tickets, 3 hr flight) - no miles, paid full freight, same cost as AA website, thought it would be easier to book through expedia. - Made 1st stop in Dallas from Austin - Gate agent, when we were trying to board the plane: 'Unfortunately expedia did not confirm your first class seats, so ... you have a problem. We may be able to offer you seats in coach.' 20 min later after the flight was full, they 'squeezed us in - SORRY YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE BOOKED THROUGH EXPEDIA.' - FUNNY WHEN WE BOARDED THE FLIGHT, several AA employees sitting in first class. I'm guessing they did not book through Expedia. P.S. - Called customer service. Waited on hold for 30+ min. Blamed me for not working it out with the AA gate agent. Asked to speak with supervisor. Called me back at 2 AM. Sitting on hold now with Expedia for ... 45+ min ... THINK AGAIN if you are booking with Expedia, you will be 'worst' class treatment.

Noahespinola Boston, MA

I booked a $177 hotel room, but accidentally had to refresh the checkout page due to network issues. I did the booking again. I then checked my credit card and saw that I got double charged, I only received one booking confirmation. I called them and they said it is because of the refresh, but that the double charge was not showing up in their system, the customer service guy assured me and told me to "trust" him. I then called my card company and they opened a claim and refunded me, telling me the only way I would get the charge put on my card again, is if they disputed the claim, which I thought improbably since the dude told me that they had not double charged me in their system. Low and behold, they dispute the claim, saying that the double charge was legitimate, and I had the double charge put back on my card. I am currently on their customer service lines, angry and frustrated, having been on hold for a long time. Don't use this company, there are so many less shady options out there. I hope this helps someone avoid a situation like this.

Martin Benitez Jr. Denver, CO

Expedia cxl my hotel reservation in error and now expect me to pay double the original price for an error they made when I called customer service to ask about my flight and no mention about the hotel. The agent just cancelled it at free will and now they are forcing me to purchase the same hotel at $1,079.00 when I originally paid $530.00 but consumer has to pay the price for their error not mine.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Haven't used as much during pandemic as I usually do. Would be nice if airline reservations included the ability to pick seats at the time of booking.

Bethany Rockville, MD

We use Expedia to book family trips. It was generally okay and user friendly. Will continue to use it to accumulate more points.

Shalomselah West Islip, NY

Great deals all of the time. I use this service every time I think about traveling.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

I use Expedia all the time. They have great rates, products and customer service. It is a pleasure to use them

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

This is the worst service. Every time I use Expedia to book a hotel, it is never what I paid for. When I show up to the hotel, the room I selected and paid for is never correct. Customer service is horrible. I don’t know why I have given this company so many chances. I am definitely done and never looking back.

Saskia Mayette Tallahassee, FL

I enjoy their points system a lot. I use them to book flights, hotels and even activities when I travel.

Maureen Canelo Valdosta, GA

Perfect travel guide for when in need of hotels and resorts that are affordable.

Jodianna Altamonte Springs, FL

I love expedia! I plan most of my travel destinations with them! I can book a hotel, flight, and car all through one app!

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Expedia is an amazing service for travel. I would say this is an awesome startup site for those beginner travelers, like myself. Traveling and planning trips can be an excruciating process but Expedia makes it easy. I planned a whole trip to Puerto Rico with the help of Expedia. You can book flights, resorts, cruises, excursions, and many more!

Cyd Vernon Collierville, TN

Love how easy it is to book and I find the best deals! I also love the points I can earn for future bookings!

Wilkshake Lehi, UT

I have used Expedia 3 times to secure hotel accommodations in California and Florida. I really appreciated having cost and comparison info as these were first time visits. There was not a charge and The reservations were made quickly and easily.

Prius542 ,

I used Expedia to book my most recent trip. It saved me about %50 on my car rental and was very easy to use.

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

I love using Expedia to compare prices when planning a vacation. It is nice to read reviews of different airlines as well as compare prices before booking a trip.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Great travel site. I’ve always found good flights and hotels when I had to use them for vacations. Not my usual go to but I’ve never been disappointed by the deals that I bought there.

Sherry Bateman Port Coquitlam, BC

I use Expedia to book airline tickets, hotels and rental cars. The rates are competitive and I appreciate their cancellation policy, especially with Rental cars. I had some issue last March 2020 cancelling flights due to Covid (spent hours on hold on the phone), but eventually got through to customer service.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Our family has used Expedia multiple times to book our vacations! We just recently got back from a Florida trip and got a great deal on a hotel and rental car through Expedia. Everything has gone well with us in all of our experiences booking with Expedia and we will definitely use them again and recommend them to others!

Adam Simpson Provo, UT

I got a killer deal using Expedia for my honeymoon to Dana Point, Southern California. Highly recommend! Easy to use, good prices, very efficient for planning and securing a trip.

Trent Ewing Round Lake, IL

I have booked several vacations and business trips using Expedia. With several different travel sites out there, Expedia is simple to use and I tend to find the best rates through them. I have also been impressed with their costumer service!

Freddy V Layton, UT

Everytime I’m on a business trip, my boss gives me the company credit card and I always book through Expedia. Their mobile app makes it easy for me to book hotels in a couple of minutes. I love it

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I have booked some international flights through Expedia and everything turned out well in the end but there was some changes to my itinerary that they didn't notify me of immediately and I had a hard time contacting their customer service when I tried to call and ask about it.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

This is the travel site we use the most and have found our best deals through. Customer service can be a little bit of a hassle but they do try to help as best they can. It just sometimes takes some time. But we haven’t needed their help often.

Jen Burt Herriman, UT

I like that I can buy vacation packages at a lower price than buying things individually.

Florence L Louisville, CO

I never had issues with Expedia for years until the past 2 years. They scammed me out of $1,100 in February 2020 for a trip to Bali set for March 2020 that I had to cancel. The airline, who had a full refund policy due to Covid, told me that all Expedia had to do is submit a specific ticket refund code related to Covid refunds for them to be able to issue the refund to my credit card. Expedia meanwhile claimed they didn't have to do anything (that was a lie, I found evidence that they needed to submit a code). We did this for 3 months, back and forth, literally having three-way calls between the airline and Expedia and listening to them arguing with each other. In the end, I gave up because it wasn't worth compromising my mental sanity, but I lost $1,100 over this. Then last summer, I booked a trip to Hawaii for January 2021, but as the pandemic got worse, I decided to postpone it. They gave me a credit but I later found out that this credit only applies to domestic flights and I can't even use it towards the domestic leg of an international flight. I called the airline and they told me I could book it for any flight anywhere in the world. Expedia once again lied to me. And if that's not bad enough, every time I browse flights and go to check out, it more than doubles the original quote of the ticket. I called them and was told that's not possible, it must be a system glitch. BS! I've been checking rates everyday for a week and every single time it's more than doubles the rate upon checking out. This entire website is a major scam. I am done with them. I'm going to delete my account. Expedia needs to be put out of business.

Karli American Fork, UT

We use Expedia to book all of our hotels when we are traveling. We've always had a good experience. They have great rates and easy cancellation policies and allow you to edit your trip if things come up as well. Great resource with tons of great options for travel.

Chandler Beaman Wilmington, NC

Easy to use, but the draw to it is to accumulate points. It will take 1926151819 flights in order to actually get something for free.

fernando pacheco piñeyro Miami, FL

Expedia is a terrible travel agency. My personal experience is that they are taking advantage of the existing epidemiological situation by selling travel packages that customers will never enjoy. Once the customer buys them, they have to be changed several times because they canceled the flights. They do not return the money for the flight; they retain it as a credit. I have been on that odyssey for more than four months because I bought a trip to Canada for November, and I have had to modify it more than six times because, according to Expedia, the "airline" constantly cancels. This is the height that I have not yet been able to travel, and Expedia is playing with my money. The customer service is despotic, and without any interest in doing their job, they leave you long hours on the phone, without giving you a solution (in the best of cases). Usually, after a while, they cut you off the call, and you have to start over to managing the problems that Expedia has caused you. If you ask for a supervisor, there is never one available who can help you. In short, it is a terrible agency that does not respect its clients. I don't want to make reservations through Expedia again.#expedia#badtravel#terribletravel

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Booked a trip to San Diego through Expedia and it was nice to have everything booked at once.

Gail Salt Lake City, UT

Expedia is always one of the first sites I check when looking for flights. It's a very easy interface to use.

Christina Healey Provo, UT

Expedia has been great. Easy to see the package deals and comparables. I’ve booked through them and we haven’t had any problems.

Aaliah Walthamstow, WFT

I booked a very expensive package trip via Expedia to Bali in April 2020. I spent over £5000 for a 12 day trip. However due to COVID, the holiday was cancelled. Although I received a full refund for the hotels that I was due to stay at, Expedia are refusing to refund me £2770 for the airline tickets with Qatar. I have contacted Qatar directly who have advised that I need to go through Expedia for the refund. I have been battling with Expedia for the last 7 months who keep telling me that my case has been dealt with and that the airline has already issued me with airline vouchers which is not the case. I am now pregnant and am unable to travel yet anyway and despite telling Expedia this, they are still refusing to refund my money. I would highly advise against booking with Expedia as they will not refund your money for cancellations out of your control. They’re also not very good with dealing with and/or resolving issues. I can’t stress enough - please do not book with Expedia.

Emily Grossman Corpus Christi, TX

Use the app to find good deals. The prices are reasonable! It also list things to do, which is pretty handy.

AJ Hoboken, NJ

Understand the extraordinary times; but the customer service I've received at Expedia has been extraordinarily bad. This year (2020), I had three package trips and a pair of flight credits on my Expedia account. The trip packages cost over US$4,000 and the flight credits were just under $800. Once COVID-19 hit and travel was shutting down, Expedia did nothing to attempt to obtain refunds for our cancelled flights. In fact, in retrospect it seems like they actively discouraged people from receiving refunds for flights and the delay makes it unlikely that those losses will ever be compensated. The hotel stays for those packages were refunded, but almost a month after the originally planned stay. The 2 flight credits were due to expire in May 2020, but we couldn't use them for obvious reasons. An Expedia rep told us that credits' validity would be extended by a year into 2021. When we tried to use the credits this past October 2020, we were told that the credits had expired. The credits are showing as usable in my Expedia in my account, even now (Nov 2020); but they are not usable unless I call Expedia and, when I called I was told the credits had expired. We requested a company investigation. Today, I received a terse email from Expedia that they cannot continue their internal investigation as to how we were told the flight credit validity would be extended and to call them again to reopen the matter. No explanation. It's a strategy to wear customers down, plain and simple. For us, it's almost $800 up in smoke. The real issue here is that there is no accountability. Expedia blames the situation on the airlines and the airlines blame the situation on Expedia. During 2020, we had other flights booked with airlines directly and those have been refunded/recredited with no problem, so I think that the Expedia reps are lying and the company has made the decision to let customers take the loss from cancelled flights. I have made more calls and tried the instant messaging service on Expedia more times than I can count, but I have communicated with this company at least 10-12 times to try and get some value for the packages I have booked on Expedia that were impacted by the coronavirus. Customer service there is unpleasant and unhelpful. Would recommend avoiding them and using other travel tools to make arrangements. Particularly with flights, Expedia will not help you if something goes wrong.

Ashley Phoenix, AZ

Relatively good, they are a little bit slow when loading results and their website is hard to navigate.

Terin Layton, UT

Expedia.com is literally the first website I go to when booking a hotel. It is easy to use and I always get great deals! I highly recommend!

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

This site shows you the prices for lots of different sites all in one place and makes your trip planning so much easier. I always find good prices and when I get to my destination, hotel check in is easy too.

Kristen Gonzalez Logan, UT

We have used Expedia for our family vacations for the last 5 or so years. We like being able to bundle the costs of a trip into one set price. We also feel like it’s been cost effective.

Kent Logan, UT

I don't travel much, but last time I needed to book hotels for a long family road trip, I was able to find all the information and make the bookings I needed through Expedia.

Wmosmith12 Smithfield, UT

I enjoy using Expedia. It is a good way to get lower price hotels and flights. I like the variety of companies they used to tell you what is a better value.

McKenzie ,

Expedia is my go-to for all of my travel needs. The interface is so easy to navigate and user friendly. I also have had superb customer service when rebooking or canceling reservations.

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

Expedia is the best place to book your flights, cars and hotels all on one spot. The ease of navigation on the website is fantastic. Expedia offers a lot of options in various price ranges giving you the ability to find just what fits your needs and budget.

Jacob Bernardi ,

We had to cancel our flights because of COVID-19 causing travel complications. Not only would Expedia refuse to refund us any of the flight, but the only compensation they offered was in travel credit. We were eventually able to find a new flight to thankfully use the travel credit, so we gave them a call only to be put on hold for upwards of an hour. a new flight was eventually booked (at double the price listed on the airline's website) but come to find out the ticket the agent had "reserved" was never actually booked in the first place, leaving us stranded at the airport. Terrible service, and I will never be booking a single flight with them again.

Linda felt Salt Lake City, UT

We have saved money in using this site to get tickets for our children and their families. We appreciate it.

Michael Taylor Long Beach, MS

I know there are a lot of travels sites that are out there but this is the one I latched onto. Easy to use and always seem to have good prices and choices. Customer service has been very helpful when I have had to call them.

Leeta Orem, UT

We always search Expedia first and have always been able to find what we need very quickly. Rates are reasonable and very competitive. Our needs are always met through their service.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I booked a trip through them and got an excellent price on a hotel. I love that you can book everything on one site, the airfare, hotel, and rental car.