Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. As an online travel agency, guests can book a variety of travel accommodations and vacation packages through the company’s website or the Expedia app.

In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies. Expedia also offers credit cards that don’t charge a foreign transaction fee, making them ideal for travelers.

Go directly to Expedia customer reviews

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel Accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards Program
  • Travel Insurance

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Karen from Tallahassee, Florida

"Expedia is awesome! I have found all the best traveling deals on Expedia. It makes planning for a trip so much easier since I can find flights, hotels, and more all in one."

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits and no annual fee. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 rewards points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Guests can qualify for tiers in the Expedia Rewards platform by booking a qualifying hotel room, rental car, airline ticket, or vacation package. Members can obtain Expedia gold status by booking 15 nights at hotels or other qualifying Expedia purchases. Guests can also sign up for the Expedia Rewards card or the Expedia Rewards Voyager card from Citi and enjoy gold status for the duration that they have the credit card.

Travel Insurance

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Travel protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, an Expedia travel insurance policy will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website Ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

For a frequent traveler, it might be a good idea to take advantage of the Expedia Rewards card and the Expedia Rewards Program. For the less frequent traveler, the sheer amount of accommodations available on Expedia is definitely worth looking into.

View Best Travel Sites

3.8

Florence L

January 26th, 2021 Louisville, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I never had issues with Expedia for years until the past 2 years. They scammed me out of $1,100 in February 2020 for a trip to Bali set for March 2020 that I had to cancel. The airline, who had a full refund policy due to Covid, told me that all Expedia had to do is submit a specific ticket refund code related to Covid refunds for them to be able to issue the refund to my credit card. Expedia meanwhile claimed they didn't have to do anything (that was a lie, I found evidence that they needed to submit a code). We did this for 3 months, back and forth, literally having three-way calls between the airline and Expedia and listening to them arguing with each other. In the end, I gave up because it wasn't worth compromising my mental sanity, but I lost $1,100 over this. Then last summer, I booked a trip to Hawaii for January 2021, but as the pandemic got worse, I decided to postpone it. They gave me a credit but I later found out that this credit only applies to domestic flights and I can't even use it towards the domestic leg of an international flight. I called the airline and they told me I could book it for any flight anywhere in the world. Expedia once again lied to me. And if that's not bad enough, every time I browse flights and go to check out, it more than doubles the original quote of the ticket. I called them and was told that's not possible, it must be a system glitch. BS! I've been checking rates everyday for a week and every single time it's more than doubles the rate upon checking out. This entire website is a major scam. I am done with them. I'm going to delete my account. Expedia needs to be put out of business.

Karli

January 25th, 2021 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Expedia to book all of our hotels when we are traveling. We've always had a good experience. They have great rates and easy cancellation policies and allow you to edit your trip if things come up as well. Great resource with tons of great options for travel.

Chandler Beaman

January 24th, 2021 Wilmington, NC

Easy to use, but the draw to it is to accumulate points. It will take 1926151819 flights in order to actually get something for free.

fernando pacheco piñeyro

January 20th, 2021 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a terrible travel agency. My personal experience is that they are taking advantage of the existing epidemiological situation by selling travel packages that customers will never enjoy. Once the customer buys them, they have to be changed several times because they canceled the flights. They do not return the money for the flight; they retain it as a credit. I have been on that odyssey for more than four months because I bought a trip to Canada for November, and I have had to modify it more than six times because, according to Expedia, the "airline" constantly cancels. This is the height that I have not yet been able to travel, and Expedia is playing with my money. The customer service is despotic, and without any interest in doing their job, they leave you long hours on the phone, without giving you a solution (in the best of cases). Usually, after a while, they cut you off the call, and you have to start over to managing the problems that Expedia has caused you. If you ask for a supervisor, there is never one available who can help you. In short, it is a terrible agency that does not respect its clients. I don't want to make reservations through Expedia again.#expedia#badtravel#terribletravel

Morgan Knight

January 20th, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booked a trip to San Diego through Expedia and it was nice to have everything booked at once.

Gail

January 20th, 2021 Salt Lake City, UT

Expedia is always one of the first sites I check when looking for flights. It's a very easy interface to use.

Christina Healey

January 19th, 2021 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia has been great. Easy to see the package deals and comparables. I’ve booked through them and we haven’t had any problems.

Aaliah

December 7th, 2020 Walthamstow, WFT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked a very expensive package trip via Expedia to Bali in April 2020. I spent over £5000 for a 12 day trip. However due to COVID, the holiday was cancelled. Although I received a full refund for the hotels that I was due to stay at, Expedia are refusing to refund me £2770 for the airline tickets with Qatar. I have contacted Qatar directly who have advised that I need to go through Expedia for the refund. I have been battling with Expedia for the last 7 months who keep telling me that my case has been dealt with and that the airline has already issued me with airline vouchers which is not the case. I am now pregnant and am unable to travel yet anyway and despite telling Expedia this, they are still refusing to refund my money. I would highly advise against booking with Expedia as they will not refund your money for cancellations out of your control. They’re also not very good with dealing with and/or resolving issues. I can’t stress enough - please do not book with Expedia.

Emily Grossman

November 30th, 2020 Corpus Christi, TX

Use the app to find good deals. The prices are reasonable! It also list things to do, which is pretty handy.

AJ

November 26th, 2020 Hoboken, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Understand the extraordinary times; but the customer service I've received at Expedia has been extraordinarily bad. This year (2020), I had three package trips and a pair of flight credits on my Expedia account. The trip packages cost over US$4,000 and the flight credits were just under $800. Once COVID-19 hit and travel was shutting down, Expedia did nothing to attempt to obtain refunds for our cancelled flights. In fact, in retrospect it seems like they actively discouraged people from receiving refunds for flights and the delay makes it unlikely that those losses will ever be compensated. The hotel stays for those packages were refunded, but almost a month after the originally planned stay. The 2 flight credits were due to expire in May 2020, but we couldn't use them for obvious reasons. An Expedia rep told us that credits' validity would be extended by a year into 2021. When we tried to use the credits this past October 2020, we were told that the credits had expired. The credits are showing as usable in my Expedia in my account, even now (Nov 2020); but they are not usable unless I call Expedia and, when I called I was told the credits had expired. We requested a company investigation. Today, I received a terse email from Expedia that they cannot continue their internal investigation as to how we were told the flight credit validity would be extended and to call them again to reopen the matter. No explanation. It's a strategy to wear customers down, plain and simple. For us, it's almost $800 up in smoke. The real issue here is that there is no accountability. Expedia blames the situation on the airlines and the airlines blame the situation on Expedia. During 2020, we had other flights booked with airlines directly and those have been refunded/recredited with no problem, so I think that the Expedia reps are lying and the company has made the decision to let customers take the loss from cancelled flights. I have made more calls and tried the instant messaging service on Expedia more times than I can count, but I have communicated with this company at least 10-12 times to try and get some value for the packages I have booked on Expedia that were impacted by the coronavirus. Customer service there is unpleasant and unhelpful. Would recommend avoiding them and using other travel tools to make arrangements. Particularly with flights, Expedia will not help you if something goes wrong.

Ashley

November 14th, 2020 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Relatively good, they are a little bit slow when loading results and their website is hard to navigate.

Terin

November 13th, 2020 Layton, UT

Expedia.com is literally the first website I go to when booking a hotel. It is easy to use and I always get great deals! I highly recommend!

Wendy Rowlette

November 13th, 2020 Morgan, UT

This site shows you the prices for lots of different sites all in one place and makes your trip planning so much easier. I always find good prices and when I get to my destination, hotel check in is easy too.

Kristen Gonzalez

November 13th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia for our family vacations for the last 5 or so years. We like being able to bundle the costs of a trip into one set price. We also feel like it’s been cost effective.

Kent

November 12th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don't travel much, but last time I needed to book hotels for a long family road trip, I was able to find all the information and make the bookings I needed through Expedia.

Wmosmith12

November 12th, 2020 Smithfield, UT

I enjoy using Expedia. It is a good way to get lower price hotels and flights. I like the variety of companies they used to tell you what is a better value.

McKenzie

November 7th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is my go-to for all of my travel needs. The interface is so easy to navigate and user friendly. I also have had superb customer service when rebooking or canceling reservations.

Wendy Smullin

November 5th, 2020 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is the best place to book your flights, cars and hotels all on one spot. The ease of navigation on the website is fantastic. Expedia offers a lot of options in various price ranges giving you the ability to find just what fits your needs and budget.

Jacob Bernardi

November 5th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had to cancel our flights because of COVID-19 causing travel complications. Not only would Expedia refuse to refund us any of the flight, but the only compensation they offered was in travel credit. We were eventually able to find a new flight to thankfully use the travel credit, so we gave them a call only to be put on hold for upwards of an hour. a new flight was eventually booked (at double the price listed on the airline's website) but come to find out the ticket the agent had "reserved" was never actually booked in the first place, leaving us stranded at the airport. Terrible service, and I will never be booking a single flight with them again.

Linda felt

November 4th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have saved money in using this site to get tickets for our children and their families. We appreciate it.

Michael Taylor

October 20th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I know there are a lot of travels sites that are out there but this is the one I latched onto. Easy to use and always seem to have good prices and choices. Customer service has been very helpful when I have had to call them.

Leeta

October 9th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We always search Expedia first and have always been able to find what we need very quickly. Rates are reasonable and very competitive. Our needs are always met through their service.

Morgan whiting

October 3rd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked a trip through them and got an excellent price on a hotel. I love that you can book everything on one site, the airfare, hotel, and rental car.

MiKE McWilliams

September 19th, 2020 Little Rock, AR

use Expedia to locate sources for travel services. Do not book through Expedia because I do not trust confirmations

JMeyer

September 17th, 2020 Somerset, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is generally my go to place for travel. They do have ways of making bundle deals affordable, but sometimes affordable means lacking, read all accommodations reviews and check the hotel website, before booking. I have been disappointed a few times because I choose most affordable instead of Expedia’s choice. Expedia does give ratings for accommodations, use them.

Kate Lillywhite

September 15th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I trust Expedia with my travel needs. One stop shopping to check prices on everything from flights, to rental cars to hotel rooms!

Lkirton

September 15th, 2020 Park City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have booked many trips through Expedia. I will continue to book through them because I know I am getting the best price around! They are always helpful when we have any questions.

Patrick Curry

September 14th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

Was always reluctant on using a travel search site but was amazed on how easy it was to use and the actual savings I saved. Love this site now

Esmeralda C

September 14th, 2020 Sylmar, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Expedia for many years for all my trip needs. From flights to hotels, it is very quick and easy to use.

Eric Wilkinson

September 14th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like to price and plan our family vacations. Expedia makes it easy to see what we need to budget for our trip and if we can afford to take the kids or if we have to leave them at grandma's. It's really easy to see how much air and hotel will cost.

George Marc Alderman

September 14th, 2020 Alexandria, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Avoid Expedia at all cost! We had a trip booked this spring on Turkish Air. When it was cancelled we tried to get our money back. Expedia says Turkish Air needs to refund it and Turkish Air says Expedia needs to refund it. As far as I can tell, Expedia needs to get the money back from Turkish Air and Expedia needs to pay US. Expedia is passing the buck and not helping get money we paid to THEM. AVOID EXPEDIA!

Dayna

September 13th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Expedia for so many things. We always get good deals in hotels and also car rentals and airfare. It’s our go to when we need overall vacation planning deals.

Tagg

September 10th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia makes it really easy to find good prices on travel, including air and hotel. I love using them.

Tiauna Anderson

September 10th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Expedia for my most recent trip to visit family and it was great. We didn't need a hotel, but found great pricing for flight and car rental on their site. It's easy to use and we definitely recommend!

Kim Young

September 9th, 2020 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Expedia to find the best deals when traveling for work. It saves my clients' money and is very easy to use.

Irinna Danielson

September 9th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I first started using Expedia to book air travel, and while I still do use it to find cheap flights, I've been impressed with the hotel deals feature on the site. I now find myself logging in to find good deals on hotels when we're going on vacation. It's easy to use, it's nice to see comparative prices in one spot, and it's a nice one-stop shop to take care of all my travel needs.

Wayne Young

September 9th, 2020 Little Rock, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia is a helpful site that gathers good rates from various travel companies like airlines and hotels to help you put together a trip. The site is reliable in making reservations.

Gayle Greene

September 7th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We’ve used Expedia for several years. It has been an easy way to book flights and hotels. We just didn’t like how hard it was to change a flight.

Jeremy Brown

September 5th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the website and convenience of Expedia. I wish they had better selection at time and I have hit the 6 person limit when planning a couple times.

Ashley Ulibarri

September 5th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia always seems to have the best deals and best hotels. I like that I can eat points and rewards when booking through them and booking through their app is so easy and fast.

Yolanda Briganti

September 5th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia found me a flight for my sister from LA to SLC with the cheapest flight. It didn't take very long.

Emily Turn

September 4th, 2020 Kamas, UT

Honestly, I don’t love Expedia. They own so many companies that it’s impossible to reach them in a timely manner if you need to change something. Book direct!

Danielle LeCheminant

September 3rd, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their prices were good and the flights and everything worked out when we booked through them versus other travel sites.

Jolene

September 3rd, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to use. I like to compare the prices of trips and see all my options. Always seem to find the best deals on trips.

noahemm

August 26th, 2020 White Plains, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst customer service! They're based in India and cant understand what you need done. Ive spent over 3 hours trying to use my credit to book a new flight

marva layne

August 16th, 2020 Concord, ON DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Expedia enabled booking of a cottage on their website that was not available for rent. The family with three children under 5 and an essential worker booked one week at the cottage only to find out by coincidence from the owner of the cottage that they told expedia to remove the cottage and they did nothing about instead continue to take bookings for the cottage. Expedia customer service was very bad, they keep hanging up on me everytime I called them to get a resolution. In addition, the owner said Expedia sent 3-4 or more families to the cottage and each time they were turned away. Expedia did not offer any compensation for disappointing the family. BE CAREFUL RENTING COTTAGES FROM EXPEDIA AS YOU MAY GET DISAPPOINTED JUST AS THIS FAMILY DID.

Mike

July 28th, 2020 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is easily a 0 star company. I have used Expedia for years. Gold member actually. Never had to many issues, but since this Covid epidemic they seem to be doing nothing. Maybe their company is struggling and they are trying to steal from as many customers as they can that don't stick out with complaints. I booked a large Europe trip at the beginning of 2020. Over 5000 for 3 people for over a month. Covid hit later and the troubles began with this company. Granted I did get some refunds BUT, these are not the hard labor result of Expedia. This was due to the original company's canceling flights, shutting down hotels or allowing people to reschedule their trip, a pretty ethical solution. For example, my hotel in London noted that since the ban on Americans occurred they cancelled all booking and gave out refunds, you could rebook and all rebookings came with a no charge booking change for further issues. Expedia may take credit for those results but don't be fooled, its 100% at the ethics of the hotel or flight company. I had 3 bookings where, after hours with a damn robot answering my questions I got an automated answer of sorry, not within the hotels policies to change or refund. Obviously in January those are normal bookings, the world has crumbled since, America in particular as well as the EU set a ban on Americans from entering the EU, still the EU has no say of the decision of a hotel I suppose. I have left multiple reviews on multiple sites including several complaints on BBB. I hope Expedia takes a hit financial as the free market should dictate crappy companies get crappy results. Somehow with a monstrous decline in travel all throughout the world, their stock fell to 45$ to currently today 84$. Either inflated or bailed out. I don't see how a company can add billions to their company in a few month with no a fraction of the business. Rich B, Barry D and some random guy buying them coffee, I hope you have a sincerely terrible year full of lawsuits, fines and a papercut.

Thi L

July 14th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Due to COVID-19, I was unable to travel overseas due to travel ban restrictions. I booked a non-refundable accommodation back in 2019, the accommodation stay date was in June. Expedia claims they have their own policies and it states on their website that I am eligible for a full refund or voucher. I requested a full refund. I could not cancel due to the website glitch so I requested Expedia company to cancel on my behalf. I have attempted to contact the hotel myself but it has been closed since April and still are currently closed. The Expedia agents confirmed the company still currently has my money as the transaction to the hotel has not been processed (due to the hotel being closed). It’s been an ongoing 4 months of trying to get my full refund contacting via email and calls. They continuously delay and tell me to wait further and they will get back to me - this is a lie and again, I have to contact them to follow this up. Added photos of Expedia’s claims/policies for my current situation. But Expedia is unreliable and not credible. Do not book with this company.

Grace

May 28th, 2020 Bergenfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You would think that they have their customers in mind during this worldwide pandemic. Nope! I had a coupon from my canceled April trip (due to covid). I used it to book a room but then later had to change the dates. I press the cancel button and choose the option 'I have to change the date' because I had to work around with the dates and type of rooms because I had to match the credit amount. After playing around with the options, I try to re-book, but I couldn't because my coupon was gone. I call and wait half an hour to finally speak to someone. They tell me once you hit the cancel button, you forfeit your coupon. I ask nicely to give me back the coupon. "There's no way we can reinstate it in our system". I ask nicely to then give me expedia credit. "The system doesn't allow me to give you credit" I beg them, tell them I can't afford to lose $545. They don't care. Make sure never to cancel a coupon because you can only use it once people!

Aslihan Demirkaya

May 15th, 2020 Moraga, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am an Expedia customer for the last 15 years. I bought two way tickets 5 months ago and paid $1,499 and because of COVID 19, the return was was cancelled. I did not reach Expedia for 2 months but I got an email saying that I would get the refund! I called them today, waited for 1 hour, couldn't reach anyone. Then I contacted a real agent online and he told me that I got $0 as a refund! I am very upset that Expedia turned to be a scam company and did not care about their customers. Then why should I ever use Expedia again? You give "silver", "golden" names to your customers but the only thing you care is the money. This is not how the business is done! I will let everyone around me know how Expedia stole half of my money. They owe me $750 and they don't pay back and they don't care! Thank you Expedia! You lost me and you will loose tons of customers!