Expedia

7.0

Expedia was launched by Microsoft in 2001 and spun off as a multibillion-dollar company. Expedia is one of the world's largest booking services and has many subsidiaries that help customers set up travel plans. In addition, Expedia was one of the first travel sites to accept Bitcoin, helping international travelers pay more easily with different types of currencies.

#1 Priceline Logo Priceline ›

7.7

Overall
Score

#2 Orbitz Logo Orbitz ›

7.3

Overall
Score

#3 eBookers.com Logo eBookers.com ›

7.2

Overall
Score

#4 Expedia Logo Expedia

7.0

Overall
Score

The Good

• Technology
  • Travel accommodations
  • Features
  • Rewards program
  • Travel protection

Technology

Expedia is one of the leading travel sites on the web and has helped thousands of travelers with their booking needs. Over time, the company has made innovations in the online booking space and its technology ultimately allows it to pull data and pricing information from thousands of traveling and airfare sites. These results are then presented to the traveler to compare, contrast, and book.

Travel Accommodations

Expedia seeks to ease the regular pains that come with travel planning by allowing customers to book all of their accommodations in one place. With Expedia, consumers can book flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and vacation packages either online or over the phone.

Features

Aside from allowing travelers to book standard accommodations on its site, Expedia has also found a way to help travelers make booking a trip as straightforward as possible. Features that travelers may find useful during their research and planning time include the following:

• Triple points for using the Expedia mobile app to book travel accommodations
  • An easy-to-use website that features deals on airfare, car rental, cruises, and more
  • Packaged vacation deals that include options for the particular time of year
  • A user-friendly destination search tool that allows customers to select the components of their travel plans

Rewards Program

Another benefit of using the Expedia platform is access to its rewards program, which includes a number of membership benefits. The rewards program is broken down as follows:

• Three-tier rewards program (Gold, Silver, and Blue)
  • Earn a point for every dollar spent on flights, hotels, and activities
  • Earn 2 to 4 points for every dollar spent on hotel and flight vacation packages, depending on the size of the package

Travel Protection

While there are some exceptions, Expedia does provide travel protection. Protection plans depend on what is booked, but they are backed by the Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company. Ultimately, Expedia will cover up to the total cost of the vacation for trip cancellations and interruptions.

The Bad

• Website ads
  • Complaints

Website Ads

Expedia's site contains several ads, which contribute to a text-heavy page and make it difficult to find information about deals and travel options.

Complaints

Expedia has received a number of complaints from consumers, most of which circle around the company's customer service. Many individuals have cited miscommunications and bad experiences when dealing with Expedia's customer service representatives.

The Bottom Line

Expedia offers up-to-date technology, several travel accommodations, a number of site features, a rewards program, and travel protection. However, the company has received many complaints about its customer service and its website contains several ads.

2.9

November 28th, 2017 Davenport, IA DETAILS

Expedia is efficient, easy to use, easy to understand. It's one of the few places I go to look for cheap flights and hotels. Their customer service is top notch.

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

My fiance and I are used expedia for our honeymoon. I like how they have the option for airlines, hotels and car rentals. It makes it so easy to travel and to find great prices for the things we want to enjoy.

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Expedia is great for finding great deals on flights and hotels. I feel confident in them and their services. Their website needs some improvements though!

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have found good deals for hotels here. I like when they provide free cancellation or they don't make you pay until you arrive at the hotel. I think their prices are pretty comparable to other sites like them but I always make sure to check here when I travel.

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have had pretty decent experiences using Expedia. My wife goes to Puerto Rico every year to visit her children and sometimes we use Expedia to plan her trip. We usually determine which service to use by who has the cheapest price, and sometimes that is Expedia. Their website is easy to navigate and use, and planning a trip is really easy.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Expedia offers a variety of great vacation deals. We got a killer deal on a weekly rate for a hotel in Belize.

September 11th, 2016 Louisville, KY

I booked a bundle trip with Expedia for resort and flight. I seen that the trip was non refundable which was fine. The next day after booking I received a welcome e-mail from the resort thanking me for booking a trip to their resort. ( Shores of Panama by Resort Collection”) In the e-mail they noted an exorbitant number of fees, cleaning, a fee to use pool and access fee to beach, breakage fee…etc. This was not disclosed when I booked the bundle package. I have tried to dispute these charges with Expedia and the Resort. I was fine with paying the $160.00 fee that was noted on the Expedia site to the resort but the additiomal fees were not disclosed until the e-mail arrived. I have wasted hours on the phone with the resort ( who noted that I had to talk to Expedia ) and then hours on the phone with Expedia. All I got was a $234.00 credit on my charge card of the $618.13 original charge. I'm a honest person and I expect everyone to be honest. I will never book with Expedia again. My sister is a Gold member and she is also thinking of dissolving her account as she was going with me on this trip and has never experienced any issues with previous trips but after she has seen all what I have gone through she is very disappointment and will not book with Expedia anymore either. Take the time to ready the reviews on the resort under the Expedia page…Very dissatisfied customers

August 24th, 2016

All, I have been very disappointed with the customer service of Expedia. I tried to change my holiday flight for the 11th of August to the 4th of August due to a unexpected business trip. The first disappointment was that it took a long time to actually change the flight. Every time they need to "check something" or "bring up the details" you are put on hold for 5 minutes. Even as simple as bringing up the booking details or other flights. This results in that every phone call will take at least 30 minutes to get anything done. In the current age, this is not good enough as general internet users can do it in less than 30 seconds from each request. After half an hour of this, I was told that to change my flight would costs about £280 (£200 fee + £80 for change in flight fair). I was okay with this but I needed to asked approval from my manager so I hung up the phone. Second disappointment, the next day when I got the approval I rang them back to book the change. After the standard 30 minutes, I got told that it would costs £890 instead of the £280. As you can imagine, I was very very surprised by this especially when a new flight would cost £750. After speaking to the manager for about an hour, he told me I got lucky because the "airline just released a seat on the flight for £280"! Lucky me! If only I knew... So I booked the change in flight and the manager told me that the original credit card would be charged with the costs. Good. I checked a few days later and the booked was changed. I requested a booking confirmation as well just to make sure. I even checked with the airline whether they had the booking. Yes, we were all good, ready to go! Third disappointing (major one), came on the train on the way to the airport. The night before, after my bedtime, they've sent me an email that the change of flight was cancelled and I got back my original flight for the 11th! This was < 3 hrs for departure. Due to the reception on the train I tried to ring them but couldn't complete any of the phone calls due to the length of the calls (5 min for each on hold period). I asked my wife to take over as she could call them through a landline. She manage to get a shower during an on hold period and still be on time to answer them on time. (Complete phone call lasted 75 minute to change a flight!) Less than an hour before boarding she managed to have them change the flight (£550) however the ticket was not issued yet. Meanwhile as a desperate move because I had to get a flight, I booked another flight through my work because I could see this happening. Fourth disappointment, my wife tried to get some money back originally and they could give me £70. There I was with in total £2100 spent on a flight which originally costs £680. During holiday, they were prepared to return a "generous" £780 pounds because the customer service guy listened to my conversation and I supposed to not have booked the flight (even though I got the confirmation...? No sense!) All in all not a good experience and a lot of money lost for nothing. Thank you Expedia, Gerard

July 24th, 2015 Port Orchard, WA

Expedia got me a special deal for $380..................I got my own for $296.......what kind of deal is that?