Booking.com Logo

6.8

Booking.com is based out of Amsterdam and is owned by the renowned Priceline Group (which also owns a number of other online booking and travel sites/services). Booking.com is backed by an extensive support system around the world by 165 offices in 63 countries. Booking.com seeks to be the world leader in booking accommodations online since 1996 and guarantees the best prices for any type of property including small, family-run bed and breakfasts to executive apartments. Booking.com is available in more than 40 languages and offers more than 640,000 properties in 212 countries. The online travel company not only is available for independent and family travelers, but also for business travelers as shown by its homepage.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Booking.com reviews from real customers.

CheapOAir Logo
#1 CheapOAir chevron_right
3.9
Airbnb Logo
#2 Airbnb chevron_right
Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• One-Stop Shop
  • Free Cancelations
  • Language and Currency Catering
  • Suggestions
  • Mobile App
  • Filtering

One-Stop Shop

Booking.com has created a one-stop shop for travelers looking to research, book, and subsequently manage all of their travel accommodations. The platform also allows travelers to "explore designations" which allows travelers to get the most out of their next vacation.

Free Cancelations

Sometimes, travelers are hesitant when making travel arrangements due to the fear that something may come up and they will not be able to go on their trip. With Booking.com, users no longer have to suppress this apprehension as they allow free cancellation on most rooms. This option gives travelers the ability to make changes if needed. This is not an additional to cost for users either, whereas most booking agencies do require a hefty fee for this added backing.

Language and Currency Catering

Another plus travelers experience when using Booking.com is its catering to the language and currency needs of international travelers. Their currency calculator helps travelers figure out just how much a foreign vacation will end up costing. Booking.com is consistently updated with the top currencies in the world such as the:

• U.S. Dollar
  • Euro
  • Singporean Dollar
  • Pound Sterling
  • Canadian Dollar
  • Australian Dollar
  • Property's Currency

While these are not the only currency configurations provided through Booking.com's tool, they are the most used. Other currencies Booking.com allows for include: Argentine Peso, Brazilian Real, Chinese Yuan, Jordanian Diner, New Israeli Sheqel, and Thai Baht. In addition to "translating" the financial figures, Booking.com also allows users to set the language feature. Language translation is provided in: French, German, Russian, Latvian, Indonesian, and Vietnamese.

Suggestions

Booking.com also sets itself apart from other travel agencies due to its search engine which allows travelers to decide where to travel to based on their interests. It also lists several suggestions on its destination finder page with reasons why a customer may be interested. For example, Booking.com will most likely recommend Las Vegas to a traveler interested in:

• Gambling
  • Entertainment
  • Nightlife
  • Shopping
  • Sightseeing
  • Museums
  • Adventurous activities

Mobile App

For the mobile traveler, Booking.com's app (available for both Apple and Android users) allows travelers to easily switch between their computer, smartphone and tablet.The mobile app makes offline confirmations possible eliminating the need for printers and internet when checking in. It also makes it easy for travelers to add extra night who aren't ready to return home or cancel a booking. Creating and signing into a Booking.com account makes it possible for travelers to sync:

• Previous searches
  • Viewed hotels
  • Stored credit cards

Filtering

Booking.com also includes a feature that allows travelers to specify the type of travel they are looking to book. For example, travelers can specify whether the trip is for business or pleasure which helps sort and narrow down results to provide the best research listings. This helps users save time during the research portion of the trip management.

The Bad

• No Rewards Program
  • Complaints
  • No Complete Travel Protection Services

No Rewards Program

Although it has a vast offering to travelers everywhere from Indonesia to France, Booking.com does not have an established rewards program like its competition. The best customers can experience is a 10 percent discount at many hotels for being a Booking.com genius. Regardless of how loyal a customer may be, there isn't a significant return for regularly choosing Booking.com.

Complaints

Booking.com helps thousands of travelers each month plan, manage, and even alter their travel plans. With the sheer volume of users, there are still holes that come with a large-scale service. Common complaints of those who use Booking.com for their online booking needs include:

• Incorrect descriptions of accommodations
  • Incorrect processing of payments
  • Loss of money due to exchange rates

No Complete Travel Protection Services

While travelers can change and cancel hotel reservations (some exclusions apply), they do not offer a complete travel protection service available for purchase. That means that if a user books flights or rental cars, they are not necessarily going to be able to back out of that reservation. Travelers need to be aware of the stipulations attached to each hotel's cancellation policy contrary to Booking.com saying is easy to cancel or change bookings. Customers may not have insurance in the case of:

• Booking cancellations
  • Less than satisfactory rooms
  • Fire
  • Damage to property or loss of property

The Bottom Line

Booking.com provides a number of valuable tools and resources for those starting the vacation research process. Their website includes insight into specific destinations and also has features where travelers can get ideas for their upcoming trip. While they are missing a number of services commonly found on other online booking sites, users cannot ignore the simple interface and sorting tool the reduces the time spent conducting research. Booking.com does understand the international market and helps customers book hotels in their own language and use their own currency for greater convenience. Travelers interested in boarding options in more than 200 countries and more than 600,000 properties just might appreciate the platform. Those that use Booking.com can expect the following from the service:

1. Sorting, currency, language tools
  2. Travel Management
  3. Bundle and save option
  4. No travel insurance
  5. No rewards program

View Best Travel Sites

Lisa C Johnson Windsor Mill, MD

Whenever I need to go out of town, I always use booking.com. It is so easy to navigate their website. I just give a location and a date. Then just pick the hotel with the best price and/or rating. I have used it so often that the website automatically recognizes me. There may be better ones out there but I like this one because it is very easy to use. When I get to the hotel I am always registered.

David Simpson Grove, OK

Makes it very handy to book rooms far in advance. Always an option to cancel 24 hours ahead of arrival and pay at the time of check in. I use it frequently and am very pleased.

Debbie Farrow ,

I work in the travel industry and it is always worthwhile to check Booking.com. Their inventory is always increasing. I love the fact that they know have actual homes that you can rent for your vacation stays. This gives travelers other alternatives.

Amy Gardiner Germantown, MD

I have used booking.com to find hotels at a great deal for volleyball tournaments and college visits. EAsy to use, reliable and easy cancellations should plans change

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

Booking.com is my go to for travel. The rates are always the best and I can easily cancel if our plans change. Its hard to find a discount site that is so good with refunds and cancellations.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

I've used booking.com to book a hotel when I was traveling to Florida and it was a very peaceful process. I like the fact that they provide me with different options of rooms and shows me the price of all the rooms on one page so I could choose which one works best for my budget. would recommend!

Marniwho ,

I have used booking.com lots of times. I love feeling confident that my bookings will be protected. On our NY trip we even got surprise upgraded with booking through them.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

After comparing multiple web sites to look for a hotel, I found Booking. com. the one site that seemed to have the most numbers of hotels listed and to have the better prices compared to the other on line companies

Kellie Payne Pickerington, OH

I use this every time o book a hotel. It’s a safer platform to avoid credit card scams while booking and I’d definitely recommend for international travel

Jungle55 Coeur d'Alene, ID

Always have a great experience with Booking. Easy to book, always offer great prices and have never had a problem with the rooms. Recently used for last min booking in a busy tourist town, and still received great pricing!

Alisse Buffalo, NY

Booking.com application on my android cellphone helped me find last-minute -- I mean like 2am-- hotels while visiting Paris, when our flight out was scrubbed. And these rooms were nice, at a good discount. I found the booking process easy and accurate. No spam resulted. Booking.com was a godsend. It's great that you can see lots of color pictures of the hotel under consideration and learn all about its offerings, and if you are booking in advance, you can cancel without penalty until very close to the date of your arrival.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We use this site a lot for booking things last minute. Very organized website and good for making last minute decisions.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

The easiest way to get the cheapest price on hotels and vacation rentals. Great filter options that find you the best option available.

Dominique Denver, CO

I used booking.com this summer to plan a road trip with a friend. This app helped us plan every detail! We were able to find affordable, but nice places to stay, and they kept track of all our reservation details.

Kate Lillywhite American Fork, UT

Do you want to save money on your next excursion? Then make sure you consult booking.com! It will save you a headache and money by knowing that you are getting the most for your money.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I love using booking.com when I am planning our family vacations. I love seeing the hotel ratings and reviews to know if it fits our travel criteria. Booking.com makes is super easy to book a vacation at the best price.

Ashley Ulibarri Sandy, UT

Booking.com is one of my favorite places to go to when looking and booming hotel rooms. The site is very user friendly and my favorite thing is that I can book a room without being charged right away.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

I have used booking.com for several business and family trips. I am always able to find the location I need in my budget. The way they do options on rooms makes it very clear what the price is, what the cancellation policy is, and type of accommodations you will be receiving. Both the desktop and app versions are very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Love using booking.com. They always provide great descriptions and photos of adventures and trips.

Keld Sperry Lehi, UT

I love their iPhone app that makes it so seamless to get on and view the best places and deals to stay at in a variety of places. My experiences have been good when using their service

Dayna Salt Lake City, UT

We use booking.com often when booking hotels. They are similar to the other travel sights but seem to have an easier process and better customer service.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I used Booking.com for a annual work meeting and was extremely satisfied. I was able to find a great price on both my flight and my car rental and will definitely use the site again for future bookings.

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

Love Booking! I like that I can book a room and cancel it within 24 hours without penalty. That kind of freedom of choice is excellent. The interfeace is easy to use and i can compare prices an amenities easily. I definitely go to them first for booking hotels.

Sharmae Gilgen American Fork, UT

Good rates, variety and availability. Easy to search. No hidden fees. Breakfast rates too.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

We like looking at this site when we do travel plans and often end up booking through them. Pretty user friendly.

Bianca Seattle, WA

Very useful when it comes to trip planning and choosing the hotels and locations to visit. Appreciate and recommend!

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I recently used Booking.com to search for flights before coronavirus. I found that the interface was easy to use, but I found cheaper flights on other websites.

Debora Paez Chicago, IL

Booking.com is a convenient company for getting a trip together. It provides all the resources one might need for a trip; lodging & car rentals!

John E Leadore, ID

Easy to use, gives a multiple properties at our destinations with competitive pricing we use it to plan a trip that sometimes after our trip has begun

McKenzie ,

Very easy to go online and book my hotel room. We had no issues and the hotel was great just as booking.com guaranteed it would be.

Tagg Ogden, UT

Booking.com is a good website to use for vacation and travel planning. It allows you to find the best rates on the travel items you need. The technology is easy to use.

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

I love booking.com, their app is easy to use and their prices are solid. I did an entire Europe trip using them and will do it again.

Frank Kasimov Woodland Hills, CA

Booking.com Scam Alert This is Furkat Kasimov and I had an unfortunate scammer experience with Booking.com. The event occurred earlier this year after I made a 22-night hotel reservation directly through the website. I booked a stay from March 1st through March 23rd and was subsequently emailed by Booking.com with the details about my stay. The problem started when I clicked a link and went from the booking confirmation email to an external page regarding my reservation. When I did this, I realized the reservation was completely cancelled. Once I saw the cancellation, I called Booking.com to figure out the issue. I spoke to a customer service representative, who notified me that an internal team at Booking.com had decided to cancel the reservation because of my data. I couldn’t get any more details about the decision and couldn’t even get transferred to a manager or other superior to learn more about the decision-making process and the information used. This is not the first time I’ve used Booking.com but it is the first time I had such a negative experience. With every other circumstance, I’ve enjoyed my hotel stays and posted positive reviews to help others make future reservations. It’s unnerving because although Booking.com said they cancelled my reservation based on data about me, they would not let me know what those reasons were. On top of that, the reservation I made was non-refundable, meaning I still had to pay for the entire stay. This was without any prior notification regarding email, text, or SMS. I originally thought that I would only be charged if I cancelled the trip but instead, I think this was a scam by Booking.com. Even after trying to make a complaint through customer service, I got nowhere because there seems to be no process for getting any more details on how this cancellation happened. I would have thought that Booking.com is a reputable company based on how much spamming they do to get reservations through email. But those spam messages don’t reflect any level of care and attention received once you actually make a reservation. The one thing I’m grateful for is that I realized the cancellation before I took my trip. Since Booking.com didn’t give me any notice, I could have easily showed up to the hotel with no warning and not have had a room to stay in. I hope other travelers using Booking.com can avoid this experience since it was both inconvenient and costly. While I definitely avoided a major disaster by not showing up at a hotel with a cancelled reservation, I also feel completely scammed by the fact that I lost everything I paid without any indication as to why the cancellation occurred. I hope my experience helps other people avoid having such a negative experience with Booking.com. Their cancellation policy is so favorable to the company, but not to the guests. You really lose control over the specifics of your stay and have little to no guarantee that you’ll actually get a hotel room at the rate you thought was confirmed. Please be wary if you do decide to make a hotel reservation through Booking.com

Kimberly Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

Best site to use for traveling abroad. Loved my alerts and mobile app. Made my travels so easy. The hotels were exactly as how they appeared online. THANK YOU!

Myken American Fork, UT

I use Booking.com when booking a night or two at a hotel. I like how they pull up the total price so there are no surprises when you check out. The app is easy to use makes booking travel easy and fast.

Luna Rockville, MD

It saved a lot of money for us. It gave us a great deal when we book hotels on this website. It provides a vivid description and many pictures of the hotel to help you to find out what it looks like.

Madison Scott Pleasant Grove, UT

When you're stuck in an airport and you need a quick hotel due to a canceled flight booking.com is the only way to go. I was the first in line to have a hotel booked and off I went until the airport figured it out. It was so helpful and the prices were comparable to every other website.

Fernando Delgado Tempe, AZ

I can always count on Booking.com if i cant find a place to stay thru other websites. I can always find a place and for a really good price on booking.com and very easy to book.

Cdavid St Louis, MO

Booking is easy to use. I search many different sites when looking for hotel and booking has very competitive prices.

Jon Moreno Sandy, UT

How easy the app is and how many great deals they always seem to have. We always use booking.com for our getaways!

Ken Jones Phoenix, AZ

I recently used booking.com to book a motel in Front Royal, Va. The motel booked met my expectation and that transaction was as expected. What I did not expect was the sudden surge in telemarketing calls that immediately followed and continues a week later. It is quite obvious that booking.com sold my information to telemarketers and perhaps other marketing organizations. I will never do business with them again.

Emily Turn Kamas, UT

For a third party site it’s not bad - easy communication and booking processes. Recommend!

Rick

Have booked dozens of rooms through them with not a single problem. Always helpful. Excellent values.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Booking.com is a good place to try and find a deal. I don't think there is anything special or no extra service is provided. But it is an extra place to check when booking travel to see what deals you can find.

Juliann Mecham Tilaran, G

Choose hostel.com over booking.com!! we booked a hostel and due to the availability of flights we had to switch and one girl booked it through hostel.com and switched it for free, but everyone who booked it through booking.com had to pay anywhere from 6-15 dollars to Do a cancellation!! They didn’t respond to my emails and calls and was not pleased with my own purchase though booking.com

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Booking.com has been a go to website when finding places to stay while traveling abroad. The hostels that I have booked have been exactly as described on the website.

matthew Logan, UT

booking.com has good prices on flights. not to expensive and easy to get confirmation code. easy to navigate the website and find flights.

Cristine Gonzales Tallahassee, FL

Easy process to book but I wish theyh warned you about all the hidden fees hotels will charge you.

Sevill Vidovik Lexington, KY

They stay in contact with you, and answers any questions that you may have. Thanks you so much for your work!

karen

excellent service. Very flexible and easy to cancel. VEry fast response and refund.