American Express Travel Logo

American Express Travel

Is This Your Business?

1.5

LAST UPDATED: June 22nd, 2022

While many people recognize American Express as a credit card company, they also double as a travel booking service with their online platform. The New York-based company started its travel arm in 1915 and has since become the primary focal point of the public company.

American Express is synonymous with offering some of the best travel rewards. The online travel company makes it possible for travelers to book flights, hotels, rental cars, and cruises. Customers can choose to plan their next trip either directly online or enlist the services of an American Express Travel Insider. Travelers can also book their next trips with points earned from completing purchases with their American Express credit card.

Read on for American Express Travel pros and cons.

Airbnb Logo
#1 Airbnb chevron_right
Vrbo Logo
#2 Vrbo chevron_right
Google Flights Logo
#3 Google Flights chevron_right

The Good

• Accommodations
  • Rewards Program
  • Social Media
  • Travel Insurance
  • Cruises

Accommodations

American Express Travel is a service that allows travelers to book their flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and other vacation packages. There is also the option to book accommodations in a bundle to earn additional rewards and save. Additional discounts are also available, but travelers may not always get to take advantage of these savings depending on travel time. American Express travel has created a platform for travelers to book their dream vacation or a casual business trip by maximizing reward earnings.

Rewards Program

American Express's travel rewards are among the best in the nation. The membership rewards program allows for double points earned and is designed so customers can use points to pay for travel expenses. In addition to earning American Express points, travelers can also earn rewards with Delta. American Express double points work as follows:

• Earnings - Customers can earn double Membership Rewards points on each dollar of eligible purchases made when customers book using a membership rewards program-enrolled American Express Card on the American Express Travel website
  • Exclusions and Restrictions - Eligible purchases are all traveling purchases, excluding car reservations and non-prepaid hotels, booked through amextravel.com on your Membership Rewards program-enrolled American Express Card

One of the greatest advantages of American Express rewards is the fact that travelers can pay for an entire trip using points. These rewards points can be redeemed at checkout and travelers do not have to pay hidden or extra fees as their rewards points can cover it all. Redemption works as follows:

• Redeem - Customers can use Membership Rewards points to pay for all or part of their flight, hotel booked and paid in advance (prepaid hotel), vacation or cruise booking.com
  • Limitations - When customers book their flight(s) with American Express, there are no blackout dates or seat restrictions
  • Earn airline miles - Customers can still earn frequent flyer miles with their favorite airlines when using Membership Rewards points

Social Media

Customers can stay connected to American Express travel by following the online agency on Facebook and Twitter. Customers can also receive special offers and updates from American by signing up for the email listing. American Express often times offers email exclusive discounts or limited time options found on their social media platforms.

Travel Insurance

American Express also offers travel insurance for customers. This allows travelers who are not entirely set on their travel arrangements to get a refund in the event that they are unable to make the trip. Travel protection does cost a minimum fee (just like any other form of insurance) and it breaks down as follows:

• Customized so customers can only choose the coverage they need
  • Purchased as a package starting at $59 per person

Cruises

Travelers that book cruises through American Express Travel also receive additional benefits. For instance, travelers can earn on-board credits to spend on various amenities. There are also call-in offers as well that result in additional savings or shipboard credits.

The Bad

• No Comparison Tool
  • Destinations
  • Hotel Chain Limitations
  • Additional Charges

No Comparison Tool

American Express does not provide a comparison tool to travelers looking to find the best deal available. If a traveler wants to see other offers found on travel booking sites, they will need to navigate to all sites prior to booking. American Express only lists rates of participating providers.

Destinations

For travelers who are looking for the best travel deals to Asia will most likely not find such deals with American Express travel. The destinations for many of the deals are to places in the U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe. The most popular destinations that maximize rewards and savings include, but are not necessarily limited to:

• San Francisco, CA
  • Rome
  • Venice
  • Paris
  • Wailea Makena, HI
  • Aruba

Hotel Chain Limitations

However, even with their travel partnerships, American Express is limited in terms of participating hotel chains and destinations. Prior to making travel plans, users should make sure that American Express Travel will support the type of vacation desired and have deals in the region they wish to travel to.

Additional Charges

Along with not having a wide variety of deals, customers also need to be aware that prices listed are the average "base rate" per night. The listed price does not include taxes and other fees. Prices are subject to change at any time so customers must be prepared to account for added charges.

The Bottom Line

With a double point system in place, travelers maximize rewards points while simultaneously booking comfortable or luxurious vacations/trips. On the other hand, choosing American Express may mean a poor customer service experience and hidden fees. Those that use American Express Travel can expect the following from the service:

1. Unparalleled rewards

1.2

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Holly Kitty London, ENG

Beware when purchasing an airlines ticket through American Express Travel! We purchased through Amex Travel premium economy United Airlines tickets for LAX - Chicago and Chicago - Heathrow London. We understand there were couple lower fare option with combination of economy class for LAX - Chicago and premium economy for Chicago - Heathrow London or vise versa. Thus when we purchase we were fully mindful to select both flights were the premium economy and paid an extra for that. We got an email from American Express confirming that both flights were on a premium economy class, however on the LAX - Chicago flight it was written : premium economy with seats assigned to us were: 56B and 56C. When we checked to United Airlines website, we noticed those seats were of Economy Class instead of Premium Economy. We called the United Airlines and were told that we purchased the economy class for LAX - Chicago flight and the premium economy for Chicago - London. Upon getting that information, we called American Express number, transferred to the travel agent officer to clarify this matter. The Amex Travel officer said that there is no Premium Economy seats for LAX - Chicago flight and the seats assigned to us were the Economy Plus. I asked the officer why Amex sold an economy/economy plus ticket but got us paid for a Premium Economy class? This is a mis-representation on their marketing advertisement.The officer couldn't answer and asked us to contact the Amex Travel manager the next working day. I asked whether he can leave a message to his manager to contact me instead, the officer said he can't do that. The reason why I requested for his manager to contact me is because it took hours for Amex to answer calls. The worst part came next: when we were on board, we found out that there were Premium Economy seats on LAX - Chicago flight where we were told by Amex Travel officer there were NO Premium Economy seats on that flight that we were assigned to the Economy Plus seats. We took a photo as a proof of it. I emailed to Amex Travel once I arrived in London on June 20, 2022 but haven't got any call nor email response to date.

Daniel Dias Chula Vista, CA

Wow!! Never book flight with American Express.. Flight arrival got changed by the airlines so I needed to make a change of flights. Called multiple times only to be transferred from one person to the the next all asking for the same information. When I finally got someone who seemed to know what they where doing after explaining what I needed and giving them all the same info that I just gave to the previous representative they ask for your phone number in case the call drops put you on hold then disconnect the line after about 10 minutes. Zero call back!! Last time i will ever book a call with them. Two hours later and I'm still calling back trying to find a resolution.

Chief Okorocha Houston, TX

I was on the phone with Amex travel for 6 hours they tried to quote me a ticket for 5K USD and another one for 2K USD I did research on the tickets and I found round trip tickets for 1,584.28 with all taxes and fees. When I wanted to pay for my ticket it said failed tried again. For 6 hours I dealt with inconsistent customer service and waste of time and effort. Worst deals to do with business hire a travel agent

M Pieringer Savannah, GA

Holy cow. This company. Why do they need to put me on hold every 2 minutes because "their system is loading"? My LTE is faster than their wifi? ALSO the fact that I need to all the company to redeem any e-tickets is ridiculous. I will give you one reason I prefer southwest over everyone. I can rebook flights all on my phone. I HATE calling credit companies. I get redirected everywhere. Minimum of 2 hours of wasted time.

BigD Bethany, OK

Booking travel with AMEX Travel is presumably fine if you use it. If you have an accident that precludes you from traveling, however, their level of incompetence is staggering. “Travel credits” with flights are, at this point, impossible to use and have to be booked through AMEX Travel (at a HUGE markup). Three hours on hold with two levels of customer service yield nothing.

CESAR Fort Lauderdale, FL

Card Members be aware of booking reservations through Amex. I'm a Gold Business Card holder who booked an international trip in February 2022. Let me just start by saying Amex failed to send my hotel confirmation and when I arrived at the reception desk my villa was already given to another group. Per representative at the reception desk Amex failed to confirm booking. We lost all mid day, afternoon, and part of our evening as all villas were booked and trying to communicate with Amex Travel department being abroad is the worst experience. Can't understand some of their representatives, hold time are ridiculous, and had to speak with 5 different reps without any resolutions. We had to scramble to wait for another villa or someone to help us as Amex didn't care at all. After arriving back in the US, and speaking with the travel department they wanted us to send emails and receipts pertaining to our transactions. Now they are offering us a $50.00 voucher for our troubles, slap in the face from the biggest CC company in the world. I will never booked again Amex travel, and also thinking about taking my business to another CC company. DUE YOUR DUE-DILIGENCE VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE BOOKING WITH AMEX TRAVEL....

Greg Murray Everett, MA

Do not use this service. I booked a flight online which got cancelled due to COVID-19. I was told I would be issued a flight credit which shows online that it will expire July 31st of this year. I called on March 10th and was told told it expires in June. When I went to use the credit on March 17th the rep let me know it had expired on March 15th. I tried calling back to speak with a manager but was put on hold for 45 minutes and promptly hung up on. I have tried calling numerous times only to be put on hold for ridiculous amounts of time and got no where.

Regi B Jersey City, NJ

V bad service of Amex travel. Inexperienced call agents - what they say and actually happen are different. Already lost couple of thousand dollars due to their mistakes and I have lodged a formal complaint with Airconsumer div of US Govt today and plan to take it up with Consumer Div of US Govt shortly . Inspite of multiple follow ups with Amex Travel, this issue is not resolved - yet to get a refund. Try to avoid Amex travel for your good.

Jay P.

Listen to the reviews or learn, it's your call. Poor efforts and lack efficiency. Unknowledgeable. EXTREME wait times. Save yourself time and book direct with airlines; no added comfort or peace of mind with AMEX Travel.

Pete Stafford, VA

I had to change a set of international airline tickets through American Express Travel. Original price of tickets: $3470. Some comments: first, the lady couldn't find flights for me--I had to give her specific flight numbers that I found on Google Flights while I was listening to her typing and clicking away on her keyboard; second, a $300 change fee, plus a ticket fee from the airline. As I was changing 3 tickets, change fee = $1117 (32% of the original ticket price). Because one of the legs was cheaper than the original set of tickets, the lady had to call the airlines to work out an airline credit "because of the fare rules" and would not take it off the $1117 charge. Lastly, I was on the phone for about an hour. Not sure what exactly took so long, but I could have accomplished the same through Google Flights (where I found the specific flights for her) in 10-20 minutes w/ tickets that had some flexibility without requiring a $300 fee/ticket. I would expect Amex Platinum to treat their customers a little better and make the process a little more competitive. Not worth getting 5X points.

Mehrdad Zamani San Jose, CA

I stayed at W Barcelona from 4/22/19 to 4/24/19 and then I booked one more night for 4/24/19 and I cancelled it in less than one hour because of family emergency , I've followed up with hotel management and also I sent the doctor's note but after 2 month back and forth they said they won't be able to refund the money back, Basically the charged me $428 for nothing, this is so frustrating and I was so disappointed , After that hotel approved the full refund even I had the full refund confirmation email from hotel but AMEX Travel keep avoiding to give my money back and last time they put me on hold for 3 hours on the phone, BASICALLY AMEX TRAVEL STOLE MY MONEY this was worst experience with AMEX TRAVEL

yogi Leander, TX

I've had terrible experience with them numerous times. The travel agents there are greedy, trying to make as much as they can . I booked a flight through Amex Travel and My flight got cancelled, when I called American Airlines, the airline informed me about Amex getting the credit and that I had to work with Amex getting a refund since I booked through them. When I called Amex they put me on hold for 2 hours and 30 minutes and told that i had to pay additional exorbitant of money to rebook the flight. it was twice as much as listed on their site. When i called them second time they again put me on hold for 1 and half hour and said they would call me back, but never did. They have my airline credit , but wouldn't refund me while American airlines clearly mentioned that its a refundable ticket because of cancellation.

Tracy Ross Peachtree City, GA

I am a Platinum Card holder and thought I would get excellent service by using the Amex Online Travel. Booked a hotel in Thailand and showed up, the hotel said they had refused the booking as they were full. Called Amex Travel and they were not helpful at all, they told me to dispute the charge as it was a pre-paid booking and the charge already went through. I tried to dispute the charge with American Express and they continue to transfer me to Online Travel. They will not credit back my card. Not only did I spend money on a boat and taxi service to get to the hotel, but I sat out on the street for 4 hours trying to sort out the reservation and find a new place to stay. A week later I am still trying to get a credit back for a hotel I did not stay in. Do yourself a favor and Do NOT USE Amex Online Travel Services, they are the worst and don't care if you have been an Amex card holder for over 10 years.

Martin Lanigan Basking Ridge, NJ

Absolutely terrible ...will never use again .. Booked an international trip with AMEX for my family, at their recommendation with a boutique airline, La Compagnie ...having never flown or heard of La Compagnie, I was to reliability etc..AMEX Travel (Erin) assured me there was nothing to worry about .. I book my flights and two months later get a call about a “wrinkle”..the wrinkle being the airline no longer flies to Charles de Gaulle and so my flights and connections no longer work .. Their solution. ..? ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Well..you can get a refund ...or add days to each side of your trip. I requested they put us other carriers for the leg at the same price and refused ...five times ...each level up (Britney, Constance and Shelby) all tried to humor me with same script ...while telling me if I want a comparable trip it now $6,000 more !!! They assumed no responsibility for recommended an unstable boutique airline that failed to honor tickets bought two months ago for a flight 75 days from now ... AMEX Travel has zero credibility, as does La Companie .... I will never use AMEX Travel again and no one should trust La Compagnie as a viable airline ...

c collins Grand Rapids, MI

RUN!!!! Terrible company w/ non-existent customer service based out of the Philippines. Non-customer friendly practices. DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THEM! Not even through the promos offered in conjunction w/ AMEX PLATINUM

Leslie Knowlton ,

Booked a car and had horrible experience with vendor. Tried to get help from American Express travel, was put on hold for an hour and then after explaining everything, was transferred to another place that couldn’t help at all. Called again when got home from trip and again placed on hold for 40 minutes so just gave up. Do not book through them!

David Baechle Allentown, PA

Stay away from this company!!! They lost my reservations for New Orleans, and cancelled a second hotel for New Orleans without my consent or knowledge.....

Craig Meier

It's very time consuming to find business flights with specific times to fit our busy schedule

A Elgamal Kitchener, ON

it is a deceiving company. They quote me in Canadian dollars but billed American dollars.