Airbnb Logo

7.9

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2022

Based out of San Francisco, Airbnb burst onto the travel scene in 2008. It was founded as an accommodations site that allows travelers to book unique, temporary visits all across the world. The Airbnb community made it possible for travelers to book apartments, homes, villas, and even castles in over 191 countries at a reasonable rate.

To date, over 60 million people have booked their travel accommodations using Airbnb, and the company has over 2 million listings worldwide. It is important to note, however, that the only travel booking that can really take place on the Airbnb platform is lodging reservations.

Go directly to Airbnb customer reviews

Google Flights Logo
#2 Google Flights chevron_right
TripAdvisor Logo
#3 TripAdvisor chevron_right
Vrbo Logo
#4 Vrbo chevron_right

The Good

• Unique Experience
  • Booking Options
  • Filtering
  • Reviews and Ratings

Unique Experience

Unlike traditional booking sites, Airbnb doesn't simply list prices and star ratings of the large hotel brands and chains. Instead, Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations it has for travelers are specific to its network, which means it opens up a whole new world to booking living quarters. For those interested in staying in the typical run-of-the-mill hotel chains, Airbnb will likely not be the best platform to use.

One more recent feature that Airbnb has rolled out is the option to not just book lodging, but also book unique travel activities and experiences directly through the company website. These activities include things like private cooking lessons with foreign or domestic chefs, horseback rides or other experiences with animals, art tours or lessons, and much more. Many of these experiences can even be done online, so you can book activities with Airbnb without traveling at all.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits of using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:

• Apartments
    • Townhomes
    • Condos
    • Homes
    • Villas
    • Castles
Review Icon

Customer Review: Brayden from Texas

"I like the creative options and less touristy places to stay....sailboats! I also find that the owners are friendly and accommodating. the prices are usually better than national sites."

Filtering

Rather than you having to spend time sorting through thousands of possible accommodations, Airbnb can quickly filter through search results to find your desired accommodation. A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low, nightly cost. When you are splittling the cost among the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits travelers is the reviews and ratings. The rating system on Airbnb is also a helpful tool to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pricing

Limitations

Airbnb is included in the "travel booking" industry because of the ability to book lodging and travel experiences; however, there are some services missing. While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of select aspects of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their platform, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip and some entertainment options. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:

• Flights
  • Cruises
  • Vacation Packages

There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay as well. Airbnb is a bit different from traditional hotel systems, so there are varying regulations placed on where it can operate. While it does operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if travelers are set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel or work with a different travel site.

Pricing

Travelers looking to save on lodging will most likely want to try a different platform (unless traveling in a large group). Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, demand, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

Airbnb is designed for the millennial traveler. Accommodations are found in unique areas and varying circumstances. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options
  2. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  3. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  4. Varied Locations - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  5. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere

View Best Travel Sites

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

Airbnb was a great option for my family when we needed a place to stay when there was no hotels available, or they were priced very high. Airbnb has reasonable prices for a large family, I like that you are able to stay somewhere that is like a home and able to cook and do laundry and not have to spend as much money on food when staying away from home.

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

We used Airbnb once, we will never use it again. We were able to get accommodations in a ground level basement of a house in Utah. The host lived upstairs, but the unit had it's own entrance. We arrived at about 5pm and my husband was able to get the key from the host with ease. However, at about 6pm the host had some friends over and it was very loud. You could hear everything they were saying, doing etc.. But it was still kind of early so we decided that we would go get some dinner and hopefully the guests would be gone and we could relax. Not only were they still there when we got back around 9pm, but they were there until after midnight with no regard to noise levels. The next day the host did apologize to my husband and said that the guests came over unexpectedly. But then it came time for us to leave and the host advised that if we left a good review and didn't mention the noise from the 1st night, then she would leave a good review for us too. Like...what...?? You are going to give us a bad review for being truthful. So, we decided that if that's the way Airbnb hosts get away with having 5 star reviews then it wasn't a very trustworthy business model.

Tami Thurgood Herriman, UT

I love to use this app to find vacation rentals for my family. I like that you can put filters on for price, bedrooms, bathrooms, what type of amenities you are looking for and type of place to stay at. Renting a home is more affordable than hotel rooms for my family…and plus we like to cook some meals to save money while vacationing too. It’s especially nice to have a place to relax instead of being all in one room.

Laurel Dalton Riverton, UT

Our family has stayed at multiple Airbnb locations across the country ranging from California to Missouri. One time, we were told a Pack-n-play would be available at our rental, however, upon arrival, one was not found. After contacting the owner, we went and purchased a new Pack-n-play, and were amazed with the professionalism demonstrated by the owner through not only compensating us for the purchase, but also discounted our stay. I would highly recommend Airbnb.

Sabra Burrell Herriman, UT

I have had many good experiences using Airbnb to find my family nice homes to rent while traveling. I love that they show pictures and have a description of the property. I love to read reviews on the properties before I rent. I like how easy it is to navigate the website.

Luke M Herriman, UT

Airbnb is a great way to find a place to stay on your vacation. We loved using it on our most recent trip. Having a place with a kitchen made it easy to save money on food, and the hosts were great.

J B Sandy, UT

We use Airbnb for nearly every trip we take as a family. No better way to stay when you are looking for a place out of the populated areas where hotels are scarce.

Rebecca D

Love Airbnb. We use them when we went to Florida to Disney World. It was an amazing vacation and so memorable. It was exactly as described and more. Will definitely be using them in the future for vacations.

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

Used Airbnb to book a condo in Maui! It was great to look at what was available, read current reviews of particular offerings, and interact with the hosts as we chose where we wanted to stay.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

With Airbnb we found the best place to stay for our vacation and loved it! We stayed in Boston, Massachusetts and found the cutest little house to stay in. We really enjoyed the experience, and the hosts were very easy to work with. Will use again!

LBurr96 West Jordan, UT

I have used it several times. All the burden lies with the hosts and the company takes very little accountability. Fortunately, I have mostly encountered kind and professional hosts.

Amy N Sandy, UT

We have found some really great vacation rentals on Airbnb. Very comfortable homes/condos/cabins to stay in while traveling.

Kristen Roseville, CA

I've been able to stay a few places using Airbnb. Each stay had been a great experience. I always check here before looking at a hotel.

Shopman Herriman, UT

Not my favorite travel booking site. I had a hard time finding any properties that I liked. The filters didn't have the amenities that I was looking for. I switched to another vacation rental site and found exactly what I was looking for.

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

My go-to website/app to look for places to stay when I travel is Airbnb. I love that you can get the whole house, condo, apartment to yourself and it is usually cheaper than staying at a hotel, and you get a bigger space too! I've stayed in plenty of Airbnbs and I plan on staying in many more as I expand my travel destintations.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

I have used Airbnb quite often for many of my passed vacations and getaways. It is a great way to save money while exploring unique places to stay & new cities/countries. Just when I thought Airbnb could not get any better, they added experiences to what you can book through them; photoshoots, cooking classes, hiking, among many more. Lastly, Airbnb's customer service is amazing. When my family and the host of our Airbnb had discrepancies during a vacation, Airbnb handled it with grace and tried their best so that both of us reached a mutual agreement.

jonah landrum

A very good Service when you are going on trips and would recommend the reason this is not five stars is some places the owners are strange

anna blaser CA

I’ve had too many bad experiences with Airbnb to give it a good rating. Getting in contact with the owners is too difficult, and they change plans as if that’s what I paid for. It’s unacceptable and I’d rather spend the money on a hotel than go through the hassle of trying to get an Airbnb.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

I can always find a place to stay when I use Airbnb. The website is easy to navigate and easy to book a place.

Mike John Logan, UT

I have had great experiences Used them in 4 different states and is very consistent and easy to book

Jeff Thurgood Draper, UT

We have used Airbnb all across the US, to Canada. We have always had a great experience. We haven't had a bad experience with any host.

Emily D Herriman, UT

We used Airbnb recently to book a place to stay in Boston. It was much cheaper than booking a hotel. Finding a place was easy.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Still my first go to whenever I travel versus a traditional hotel. Obviously your experience can change based on the host but Airbnb's customer service makes it right if the host doesn't. Now that they've been around a while I feel they vet postings more so this is rarely an issue.

aserbacher Tallahassee, FL

When I was studying abroad in Italy, I used AirBnB to book all of my stays. From Positano to Amalfi coast, the website has always been there for me and I know I can find a nice, affordable place to stay anywhere in the world.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Airbnb provides an easy way to stay in places that feel more like home. I stayed in a beautiful cabin along nature and a creek. The people were incredibly friendly and understanding. Airbnb as the corporation is incredible because it allows people to become business owners by applying through the resource. Most Airbnbs I have been it have been maintained well and the service is extremely easy to use. I've never had a problem with ratings or anything.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

I love this app because it always helps me find great quality Airbnbs at a low price. Whenever I travel, I usually look for Airbnbs before I check hotels and I always do this through this app. A definite go-to if you are traveling!

Cindy Peterson

Every place we stayed at in Italy was what we had expected. The owners were perfect host.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

The Airbnb site is very easy to navigate, which is nice. The reviews for each rental home are extremely detailed and provide accurate information about the cleanliness, location, and value.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

I love Airbnb. I always use it when traveling out of town or even when I want to have a weekend of fun with my friends in my hometown. There are so many nice houses to choose from.

Jada Urquhart Tallahassee, FL

I love the Airbnb's. I have stayed in multiple and have always had a positive experience. Prices can sometimes be more expensive than hotels, so thats something to look out for.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is sometimes a better option than booking a hotel. There are many different locations to choose from and all types of stays. Airbnb takes security seriously, but they should see if theres a way to look into more of their listings, as sometimes they are not what they seem.

Gabrielle Civil Chapel Hill, NC

I really enjoy using Airbnb because it provides quality stays in areas all over the world. I usually use this platform to find luxury stays for larger groups. Perfect for family vacations! There are some rentals that should be reviewed because there can be times where what is advertised is not what is provided. However, this instance is a very rare occasion and Airbnb assists well with that.

Aybree McBride Ogden, UT

I've used the app multiple times for trips, I love the app and the website is good too. So far I have not had a bad experience!

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is so much better than a hotel! It’s almost like a home away from home and if you can afford it, it will always be my first recommendation before a hotel.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Much better alternative to hotels while travelling. Had to cancel a stay due to COVID-19, but they were able to refund it with credits to use within a year. Not sure if they keep that same policy now that the pandemic is dying down.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

I have rented a couple times from airbnb. It's pretty easy to rent and I like their searching ability. The only thing I don't like is how high their costs are. I have friends who say they are charged on their end as well. However, I guess it's fine since they do provide the market.

Na Oshkosh, WI

Like: trustworthy and airbnb takes complaints very seriously when it comes to dealing with your $$$. Filters works great to find what you need! Hosts gets rated and I strongly suggest booking with superhosts! Dislike: Airbnb hosts should update pictures as their rental property wears and tears. Some pictures seems super nice but in person it's not as luxurious as it seems, even for super hosts... But considering the price for my stays in the past, definitely worth the money.

Erin Farnsworth Orem, UT

I have been using Airbnb for almost 7 years and it has saved me so much money and gotten me in convenient locations for my trips. My favorite benefit of Airbnb is the privacy. I can have an entire apartment or small home to myself and my family for far cheaper than the a hotel. The only downside to Airbnb, (which is not actually the company) is dealing with hosts. Most are friendly and great, but occasionally checking in will be an interesting process or images of the space will appear much nicer than in real life. But as long as you know you are working with people who don't do this for a living and they are giving you a steal of a deal - your experience will be great. At an airbnb in Cali they came with big beach bikes and other beach materials that you definitely don't get at a hotel for free! Made out trip.

Lisa Williams Jacksonville, FL

Allows you to see the inside and outside any place you want to live at. The process is easy if you want to start using your place as an Airbnb

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Fantastic website to find places to stay when traveling. Customer service is top-notch and they offer good deals and discounts at times.

Ruth Jeanmary Tallahassee, FL

I used Airbnb on my trip to Atlanta and found a great place to stay. Everything was exactly like the photos and my friends and I had a great stay.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Airbnb is the best! It is the best for trying to find vacation homes. Aribnb is great at fixing problems when things come up! It is easy to report issues and to get feedback about them.

Joy V Salt Lake City, UT

Airbnb is a lifesaver! The app is very easy to use and you can filter your search to find the perfect place. The service fee is a little high sometimes, but otherwise it is a great company that I will definitely keep using.

jakira johnson Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a great company to look into when trying to find vacation homes to stay in while on vacation. I like that Airbnb has all types of homes within any budget that you have. The company is fast with replies and their hosts are always accommodating to any needs you may have.

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a great tool used for booking housing. I have used it numerous times to book stays whether it be in my home city or in a completely different state. They have a vast array of places to choose from and do a great job of certifying hosts for the houses.

Noah Provo, UT

Creative business idea as a whole. Every host I've stayed with has been excellent, and rates are below what I might pay for a hotel of similar quality. It does limit flexibility on timing just a bit, but I find it to be 100% worth the perks.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Airbnb is a newer jewel on the internet. I have used it to find properties for rent. I have made better and cheaper travel arrangements using these services. This is an invaluable resource to connect with property owners wanting to lease/rent their properties. Airbnb makes that connection possible. And they have great safeguards for you as the buyer/renter as well. They make this a safe experience!

Susan Kaplan

Airbnb provides a wide selection of lovely properties for any number of guests, generally between 1 and 8. Properties range from a room in a private house to small and large guesthouses and standalone houses. Finding a property that suits your needs and amenities requirements. One can review photos of the properties and read multiple reviews before making a choice. Airbnb also offers a variety of experiences so the guest can get a taste of local culture and activities.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Whenever we go on trips that are more than just a couple nights, we always uses Airbnb to find a place to stay. It's so much nicer with a family to have a home/ apartment to stay in vs. a hotel and having to pay for several rooms and then have to go out for every meal. All of my experiences in the US and out of the country as well have been great. I will definitely continue using Airbnb in the future.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

This company has been the best. It’s changed the way I vacation. We definitely look at Airbnb instead of opting for hotels. You get some much more out of a house vs a hotel when traveling with large families. I liked the ease of the website and comparing different properties. It was easy to book and talk to the homeowners if we had questions prior to arrival.