Based out of San Francisco, Airbnb burst onto the scene in 2008. It was founded as an accommodations site which allows travelers to book unique temporary visits all across the world. The Airbnb community made it possible for travelers to book apartments, homes, villas, and even castles in over 191 countries at a reasonable rate.

Over 60 million people have booked their travel accommodations using Airbnb to date and they have over 2 million listings worldwide. It is important to note, however, that the only travel booking that can really take place on the Airbnb platform are lodging reservations.

Go Directly to Airbnb Customer Reviews

#1 CheapOAir chevron_right
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• Unique Experience
  • Booking Options
  • Filtering
  • Reviews and Ratings

Unique Experience

Unlike traditional booking sites, Airbnb doesn't simply list prices and star ratings of the large hotel brands and chains. Instead, Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations they have for travelers are specific to their network which means they open up a whole new world to booking living quarters. For those interested in staying in the typical run-of-the-mill hotel chains, Airbnb will likely not be the best platform to use.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits to using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:

• Apartments
    • Townhomes
    • Condos
    • Homes
    • Villas
    • Castles
Review Icon

Customer Review: Brayden from Texas

"I like the creative options and less touristy places to stay....sailboats! I also find that the owners are friendly and accommodating. the prices are usually better than national sites."

Filtering

Rather than spend time sorting through thousands of possible accommodations, Airbnb users can quickly filter through search results to find their desired accommodation. A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low nightly cost. When split between the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits is travelers are the reviews and ratings. The rating system is also a helpful took to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pricing

Limitations

Airbnb is included in the "travel booking" industry because of the ability to book lodging; however, there are some services missing. While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of one aspect of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their platform, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:

• Flights
  • Travel Activities
  • Cruises
  • Vacation Packages

There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay as well. Airbnb is a bit different from traditional hotel systems, so there are varying regulations placed on where they can operate. While they do operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if a traveler is set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel.

Pricing

Travelers looking to save on lodging will most likely want to try a different platform (unless traveling in a large group). Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, demand, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

Airbnb is designed for the millennial traveler. Accommodations are found in unique areas and varying circumstances. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options
  2. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  3. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  4. Varied Locations - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  5. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere

View Best Travel Sites

jkenny90

March 6th, 2020 , TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has made it so easy for me to travel to the places I want to go on a much cheaper budget and still stay in nice accommodations. Every Airbnb I've stayed at has been a pleasant experience.

Janan Grange

March 6th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Several years ago I found the company Airbnb and have booked over 10 homes/condo's through them. My favorite part of Airbnb is that there are a lot of customer reviews that help me narrow down my choices. I also like that they are all around the world. So far, I haven't had anything but good experiences with Airbnb. The people who own the vacation rentals always get to me quickly and answer all my questions. I would recommend Airbnb if you are traveling and need a space for large families.

Alyssa Hansel

March 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Airbnb! I used them so many times while traveling in so many states! It's super cheap compared to most hotel rooms and you get the whole place to your self! There are other options too, but this is my preferred way of rooming while traveling! You can't beat the privacy or price!

Janie Dennis

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this app! It has allowed for my friends and I to travel and find safe places to stay at!

hmarashi

March 3rd, 2020 Newark, NJ

Airbnb has been very helpful with planning group trips to new locations. Without having family in a new area, there are few options besides hotels. Airbnb’s can be cheap group options.

Mike Ika

February 28th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Airbnb. For me all these travel booking sites are very similar. The one thing that sets a travel booking website over another is price. Ive found that for the places I like to travel to, Airbnb has the most property listings with the most reasonable prices. Ill check other sites just to price shop, but I usually always come back to AIrbnb.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY

Even if I don’t find anything on airbnb I know what’s out there and what to compare. I like Airbnb for traveling with the kids and larger groups and find that cheaper. Great prices locations spots available anywhere you go.

AGenes

February 26th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Airbnb. I have stayed at 3 airbnbs and loved all 3 experiences. I like to be able to read the comments on how everyone else’s stays at a particular location was as well.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It’s amazing the deals you can find with Airbnb. We saved so much money by using Airbnb. It was so worth the price. We got an Airbnb when we went to Vegas and it saved us 100’s. It was clean and the people were very professional.

Rebecca

February 25th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love AirBnb. It allows me to travel on a budget. They have really nice options for good prices. It also helps me stay comfortable and feel at home.

Robert Wilson

February 24th, 2020 Bethesda, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Airbnb in Portugal and Spain over the Summer. The website was easy to use and we had good communication from all of the owners. Price-wise, they beat the hotels we were looking at. The rooms themselves in Portugal had all the amenities and was located in a charming neighborhood near the Tram 28 line in Estrela - great location. The apartment in Madrid was nice but did not have air conditioning, not even a fan. That would have been nice to know because I doubt we would have rented it had we known. The service itself worked well and I am glad that there is a rating system for both the renters and owners - keeps everyone honest. Airbnb has an amazing variety of paces to rent and we look forward to using them again in the future

Julie Taylor

February 24th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were able to find some great locations of stay through Airbnb. It's easy to find a place to stay that meets the needs of our large family. So much more affordable then Hotels often.

Mhorne182

February 23rd, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the idea of this. However, I despise that the posted price is never close to what the actual price is. I would appreciate a better idea of overall price upfront. A 60 dollar room does me no good if it costs $150 after all the taxes and fees.

Erin Glendening

February 22nd, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booking is a breeze and most contacts are nice although some can be rude. They need better selection of homes.

Michelle Rios

February 22nd, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We like the selection of homes offered on Airbnb. We enjoy browsing with our friends to find a great, affordable place to stay. We have used them to help find a place to stay in Tahoe and in Las Vegas. We often stay with a few couples, so finding homes with multiple sleeping options is a must. Though the homes have not always presented as advertised, Airbnb was helpful in resolving any issues. They provide a great service and their customer service is awesome.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is first rate in rental availability. I used them for a few vacations and found excellent rental accommodations, easy contracts, and good customer service through Airbnb. Excellent all around.

Audrey Mitchell

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has been amazing as I have been traveling abroad. I trust the companies information, and the homes themselves are exactly as listed.

Nichole Hiatt

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

I have looked at multiple places on Airbnb for vacations. My biggest issue with Airbnb is that the prices you see in the beginning don't reflect the end price. There are so many extra fees, that by the end the total is quite a bit higher than the advertised price. I do like how many places are listed to view on the site though.

Braylyn Linford

February 19th, 2020 Lehi, UT

I have stayed in Airbnb is my sister has been the one who’s dealt with them for the most part but they’ve always been clean and it’s always been a good experience there was only one time that we ever had an issue and I got cleared up very quickly and so yes everything was good

JDWain

February 19th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is an awesome company and I love using them when travelling, it makes the cost of staying out of town super cheap and affordable

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Use Airbnb when I go to the beach. Totally worth it. The quality of care and ease of use was fantastic.

Amy Christian

February 17th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Airbnb as a host and a traveler. I thought the fees as a host were a little steep, but at the end of the day it was a great and easy process. They make it so easy to get your place set up online and guide you with ideas of how to be a great host. As a traveler, We have stopped staying in hotels as much and use Airbnb more because of the online app is so easy.

Randy Rhodes

February 13th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have always had good experiences with Airbnb. Have used it multiple times in multiple states to find the location and the accommodation for the number of people we have. Great for family reunions and travel.

Reckholdt

February 11th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super easy to use and we have found a number of great places to stay. It’s very simple to find a great place for a great value and by reading others reviews you can ensure your location will be the perfect fit.

Jenna Bagley

February 10th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has always helped me have a more authentic (and usually cheaper) experience while traveling.

Ashley Wadiak

February 8th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love air b n b for all your vacation needs. You can travel anywhere and stay somewhere affordable

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I went to Italy for vacation, I booked three separate AirBnbs. The first was amazing but the other two were not as described in the listing.

Christyan Bennett

February 6th, 2020 New Orleans, LA

I use Airbnb on almost all my trips to places I’ve never been. I once went on a business trip to Pensacola, Florida and they had so many options online it was hard to choose from. They have great low prices and the people that offer their homes for this keep it very clean.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is a newer jewel on the internet. I have used it to find properties for rent. I have made better and cheaper travel arrangements using these services. This is an invaluable resource to connect with property owners wanting to lease/rent their properties. Airbnb makes that connection possible. And they have great safeguards for you as the buyer/renter as well. They make this a safe experience!

terryjamison

February 6th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

Airbnb is the most reliable site for a overnight stay! They have great places listed at amazing prices. and The costumer service was very nice!

Summer Porter

February 1st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever planning an trip, 'Airbnb' is one of the first sites I visit to plan my stay accommodations. There are Airbnb rentals all over the world, and each rental owner I have communicated with has always been quick to respond to any questions and very adaptable to my travel itinerary. I will continue to use this site for all upcoming travels.

Lindsay

February 1st, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The place we rented was just like we expected except that the bed was not quite as comfortable as I had hoped. Overall, no problems! I would use it again.

Bryndie

January 30th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Such a great service. Not only can you find places to stay but they also offer attractions and things to do. Very easy to use and the referral bonus is awesome

Seth

January 29th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Never had a problem, they have always been accurate with listings and fairly priced! Even cheaper than a hotel!

Madelyn

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Oh my gosh I absolutely love AirBnB! So many places to check out before you go. Mobile friendly too!

Wendy Liu

January 15th, 2020 Bethesda, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Quite affordable and all the homes on its website are of high standards and quality. Every Airbnb we have lived in has been super comfortable and better than any other hotel we have stayed in. It is also quite peaceful and are located in safe neighborhoods.

Debbie Fish

January 12th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used this twice for one vacation and had fantastic results in both houses. Very easy to navigate the site

Stephanie Byrd

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love Airbnb. This service is great for when visiting somewhere temporarily or even for a getaway retreat at home. The process is super easy. You are able to book a room not just at hotels but houses and apartments. These places are super high end and affordable. I recommend,

gayana innocent

January 9th, 2020 Deerfield Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb's are super cool, and super cheap. It's like renting a house for a couple of days for a great price. Sometimes cheaper than hotels and they're nicer. I loved most of my stays at each house that I've stayed in.

Brooke L

January 1st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had some good and not so good experiences with Airbnb. We've learned to get really clear information about shared spaces (and try to avoid them). The offerings have not always been clear about exactly what situation we are getting into.

Adrianne murray

December 31st, 2019 Brigham City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We stayed in an awesome I was in my hometown when we were visiting my brother and his wife. I have a large family and so this was a great way to go. I had no problems

Jacob

December 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is awesome. It is so cheap compared to other hotels and is so easy to book as well as allow others to stay with you so you make more money.

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

When I'm taking my dog somewhere with me, I typically look at Airbnb. You can filter for pets to be allowed, which most hotels don't do that. It's easy to use, owners are really responsive, and it makes traveling so easy with my pup.

Kathryn

December 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that Airbnb has a wide range of price and quality. It allows you to choose what works best for your needs and wallet. It also helps promote passive income which is great for personal financial stability. I have been pleased with almost every stay I have had, and happy with the price and locations available.

Tom Gourley

December 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When we used Airbnb we found their site a bit difficult to navigate. On one occasion we were looking for a cabin in Utah and found an attractive option but when we went back at a later time, if was very hard to find again. We also found their "extra" charges (deposits, cleaning fees, etc.) to be somewhat expensive.

Melinda Olson

December 1st, 2019 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Using Airbnb has allowed us to stay in some awesome places that were better than hotels.

Kimmi

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stayed in an Airbnb this past summer for the first time. We were able to ask questions online prior to our vacation. The payment process worked great. Make sure you read all the fine print and ask questions. That is what lead us to a positive experience.

Kaydence Bonino

November 24th, 2019 Riverton, UT

Airbnb is great! there are so many things you can do on airbnb, when i went house shopping it help so much!

Monica Zurawsky

November 21st, 2019 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used Airbnb in multiple cities and have had overall positive experiences. All of the homes were clean and the hosts were helpful/responsive. My only complaint is that the initial pricing and availability that comes up in the search can sometimes be misleading.

Nathan D.

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is a great option when you are looking to get out of town and stay in a unique or comfortable home as opposed to a traditional hotel. My friends and I booked one when traveling to Washington D.C. for a bachelor weekend, the host was easy to reach and easy to book on the website, the accommodations were great for the price!