Based out of San Francisco, Airbnb burst onto the scene in 2008. It was founded as an accommodations site which allows travelers to book unique temporary visits all across the world. The Airbnb community made it possible for travelers to book apartments, homes, villas, and even castles in over 191 countries at a reasonable rate.

Over 60 million people have booked their travel accommodations using Airbnb to date and they have over 2 million listings worldwide. It is important to note, however, that the only travel booking that can really take place on the Airbnb platform are lodging reservations.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Airbnb reviews from real users.

#1 CheapOAir chevron_right
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Unique Experience
  • Booking Options
  • Filtering
  • Reviews and Ratings

Unique Experience

Unlike traditional booking sites, Airbnb doesn't simply list prices and star ratings of the large hotel brands and chains. Instead, Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations they have for travelers are specific to their network which means they open up a whole new world to booking living quarters. For those interested in staying in the typical run-of-the-mill hotel chains, Airbnb will likely not be the best platform to use.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits to using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:

• Apartments
  • Townhomes
  • Condos
  • Homes
  • Villas
  • Castles

Filtering

Rather than spend time sorting through thousands of possible accommodations, Airbnb users can quickly filter through search results to find their desired accommodation. A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low nightly cost. When split between the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits is travelers are the reviews and ratings. The rating system is also a helpful took to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pricing

Limitations

Airbnb is included in the "travel booking" industry because of the ability to book lodging; however, there are some services missing. While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of one aspect of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their platform, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:

• Flights
  • Travel Activities
  • Cruises
  • Vacation Packages

There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay as well. Airbnb is a bit different from traditional hotel systems, so there are varying regulations placed on where they can operate. While they do operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if a traveler is set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel.

Pricing

Travelers looking to save on lodging will most likely want to try a different platform (unless traveling in a large group). Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, demand, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

Airbnb is designed for the millennial traveler. Accommodations are found in unique areas and varying circumstances. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options
  2. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  3. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  4. Varied Locations - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  5. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere

View Best Travel Sites

Bryan Jensen

April 1st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used to find a place to stay during travel basketball season. We found a place large enough for our family really easily.

Frank Kasimov

March 26th, 2020 Chatsworth, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Anyone using Airbnb, beware of this scam The apartment looked nothing like how it was advertised. For starters, the toilet seat was broken and coming off its hinges, and the ideal entrance that was on the listing was replaced with a bunch of construction. Even worse, the elevator was down, so I had to carry my stroller up several flights of stairs. Contacted the host to let him know about the toilet seat (assuming he’d like to know) but he apparently already knew. He also knew about the construction, he said, which I found extremely disingenuous seeing as how neither were listed on his place’s listing. My mother-in-law also tried talking to him and said she found him to be extremely rude and chauvinistic. She politely asked him to fix the toilet seat, explained that it was a reasonable complaint, but he refused. So we found another place to stay and he agreed to end our reservation a month earlier than planned. The very next day he found new tenants to replace us. He originally agreed to refund us our money for the days we had left on our initial reservation. When he sent us the request to change the dates, I couldn’t accept the request over Airbnb’s website. I called customer support to tell them about my very warranted complaint, told them my name was Furkat Kasimov, and gave them all of the information I could. They told me they could not fix the error even though it was on their end and not mine. The next day Airbnb wrote me an email explaining that my reservation had been canceled and that I did not need to pay anything else. That same day, though, I got another email from a different customer support agent who said I needed to pay the remaining balance within 24 hours or it would be sent to collections and put on my credit report. The bill was more than the original! When I first rented the place it was only a daily rate of $84.77 (which included cleaning fees and taxes). It was then a lot more than that, and the customer support agent expected me to shell out $1,896.63 right then and there. I honestly thought it was a scam, and that a scammer had hacked Airbnb. If I actually had the time to read Airbnb’s Terms of Use, I’d probably see that they have the right to raise rates when and where they choose. Is Airbnb a bunch of scammers? It seems to me they are. It’s now a few months later and I’m still receiving SMS messages and phone calls from Airbnb demanding payment. Many of the calls are basically spam calls because they’re calling me after midnight. No legit company would call me that late, right? Only a spammer would, but at this point I can only assume it’s still Airbnb because a spammer would probably have moved on to the next target by now. Whoever it is, they continue to send me SMS messages, spam emails, spam phone calls and call me super early. I can only hope this isn’t normal for Airbnb, and that other people aren’t going through what I’m going through.

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

AirBnB always has great coupons and specials available. The places and locations are unbeatable and hosts are always willing to go above and beyond to make vacations extraordinary. Also very easy to make reservations and cancelations.

tayloralexis

March 18th, 2020 Glendora, CA

We used air bnb while in arizona. We got a whole house to ourselves for the best price!

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I booked an awesome airbnb in anchorage last minute and I felt safe booking through airbnb

Kogan Powell

March 18th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Fantastic, great website, simply formatted. I love that they connect you directly to your host, none of this awkward middle man stuff. Our experience was great.

Olivia Norton

March 16th, 2020 Phoenix, AZ

I love Airbnb!!! It allows me to travel with more freedom knowing I can get a place for cheaper in any area I want!! I love having the privacy of having a house to myself!!!

Karen Torino

March 12th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I prefer Airbnb over hotels ANYDAY. Usually they are cheaper and more convenient. I have not had an issue regarding where I stay, so so far my experience with Airbnb has been great. They have also responded to me pretty quickly whenever I've gad questions.

Myken

March 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We live booking places to stay through AirBnb and feel like we are able to get the most bang for our buck traveling this way. The places we’ve stayed have been exactly as described and wonderful.

Emily Norton

March 12th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is one of the greatest things that has happened for people who love to travel! There are so many options, the hosts have reviews so you know who you’ll be staying with/renting from, and it’s usually cheaper than getting a hotel room!

Theodore Niemann

March 12th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Air bnb is a great way to book a room if you are on vacation or want to travel. When I went to Europe, however, one of the hosts wrote a bad review about my friends and I that was very falsified. We were not able to respond to the false accusations and thus look bad when we try to book another room on Air bnb.

Austin Stelmach

March 11th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has completely changed vacationing for me. It's provides a more intimate and private experience than a hotel, not to mention at an incredibly affordable price! I highly recommend Airbnb for any vacation accommodations!

Brayden Ibert

March 11th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the creative options and less touristy places to stay....sailboats! I also find that the owners are friendly and accommodating. the prices are usually better than national sites.

Trey Farner

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Me and my friends went to the voodoo festival this past year and we needed a place to stay for cheap so we looked on this site and found somewhere to stay. The website gave us a lot of options as far as places we could stay in a fairly close area and it allowed is to stay where we thought would be the best option for us money wise. Navigating through the website was easy for everyone in our group, even Diago who has a hard time with technology.

Luis Diaz

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service is really nice. Very easy to see your selection on homes to stay in. I stayed in a beautiful house over the summer and didn’t have a single issue.

jkenny90

March 10th, 2020 , TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has made it so easy for me to travel to the places I want to go on a much cheaper budget and still stay in nice accommodations. Every Airbnb I've stayed at has been a pleasant experience.

Kathy Faustin

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is a way better and cheaper option than booking with a hotel. I feel safe knowing that they’re are numerous reviews on each option and have stayed at great locations by using Airbnb.

Ashley Roberts

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the selections and the site is very easy to use and provides plenty of information and reviews from other people who have used that bnb

MaryAnn Hagblom

March 10th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We did an Airbnb in Costa Rica. I love that they had good quality choices. And honest outcome. I would’ve hated going to all the way to Costa Rica and finding out that things weren’t as they said they were.

Juliann Mecham

March 9th, 2020 Tilaran, G DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Airbnb because you can find actual houses to make it more comfortable to stay and cheaper than a hotel. Super stoked about the site and has helped me a ton on vacations

OwenE.

March 9th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This saved my trip to Atlanta a few years ago when I couldn’t find a hotel room I could afford.

Sarah Mercival

March 9th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Way cheaper than getting a hotel. And at times can be way more fancier than a hotel. The people that legal you use their home are friendly and make accommodations for you if you follow their rules, which are fair. You can find a location in many places and they’re in local communities.

Janan Grange

March 9th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Several years ago I found the company Airbnb and have booked over 10 homes/condo's through them. My favorite part of Airbnb is that there are a lot of customer reviews that help me narrow down my choices. I also like that they are all around the world. So far, I haven't had anything but good experiences with Airbnb. The people who own the vacation rentals always get to me quickly and answer all my questions. I would recommend Airbnb if you are traveling and need a space for large families.

Ellie

March 9th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Offers options I can’t find anywhere else and much cheaper prices! You can be closer to the attractions and get a better idea Of life in given place.

Eric Gagnard

March 9th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

An intuitive concept on renting out free spaces love the interesting and aesthetic housing options

Alyssa Hansel

March 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Airbnb! I used them so many times while traveling in so many states! It's super cheap compared to most hotel rooms and you get the whole place to your self! There are other options too, but this is my preferred way of rooming while traveling! You can't beat the privacy or price!

Janie Dennis

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this app! It has allowed for my friends and I to travel and find safe places to stay at!

hmarashi

March 4th, 2020 Newark, NJ

Airbnb has been very helpful with planning group trips to new locations. Without having family in a new area, there are few options besides hotels. Airbnb’s can be cheap group options.

Mike Ika

February 28th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really like Airbnb. For me all these travel booking sites are very similar. The one thing that sets a travel booking website over another is price. Ive found that for the places I like to travel to, Airbnb has the most property listings with the most reasonable prices. Ill check other sites just to price shop, but I usually always come back to AIrbnb.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY

Even if I don’t find anything on airbnb I know what’s out there and what to compare. I like Airbnb for traveling with the kids and larger groups and find that cheaper. Great prices locations spots available anywhere you go.

AGenes

February 26th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Airbnb. I have stayed at 3 airbnbs and loved all 3 experiences. I like to be able to read the comments on how everyone else’s stays at a particular location was as well.

Mhorne182

February 26th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the idea of this. However, I despise that the posted price is never close to what the actual price is. I would appreciate a better idea of overall price upfront. A 60 dollar room does me no good if it costs $150 after all the taxes and fees.

Michelle Rios

February 26th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We like the selection of homes offered on Airbnb. We enjoy browsing with our friends to find a great, affordable place to stay. We have used them to help find a place to stay in Tahoe and in Las Vegas. We often stay with a few couples, so finding homes with multiple sleeping options is a must. Though the homes have not always presented as advertised, Airbnb was helpful in resolving any issues. They provide a great service and their customer service is awesome.

Stephanie Love

February 25th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It’s amazing the deals you can find with Airbnb. We saved so much money by using Airbnb. It was so worth the price. We got an Airbnb when we went to Vegas and it saved us 100’s. It was clean and the people were very professional.

Robert Wilson

February 25th, 2020 Bethesda, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used Airbnb in Portugal and Spain over the Summer. The website was easy to use and we had good communication from all of the owners. Price-wise, they beat the hotels we were looking at. The rooms themselves in Portugal had all the amenities and was located in a charming neighborhood near the Tram 28 line in Estrela - great location. The apartment in Madrid was nice but did not have air conditioning, not even a fan. That would have been nice to know because I doubt we would have rented it had we known. The service itself worked well and I am glad that there is a rating system for both the renters and owners - keeps everyone honest. Airbnb has an amazing variety of paces to rent and we look forward to using them again in the future

Julie Taylor

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We were able to find some great locations of stay through Airbnb. It's easy to find a place to stay that meets the needs of our large family. So much more affordable then Hotels often.

Rebecca

February 25th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love AirBnb. It allows me to travel on a budget. They have really nice options for good prices. It also helps me stay comfortable and feel at home.

Erin Glendening

February 25th, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Booking is a breeze and most contacts are nice although some can be rude. They need better selection of homes.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is first rate in rental availability. I used them for a few vacations and found excellent rental accommodations, easy contracts, and good customer service through Airbnb. Excellent all around.

Braylyn Linford

February 21st, 2020 Lehi, UT

I have stayed in Airbnb is my sister has been the one who’s dealt with them for the most part but they’ve always been clean and it’s always been a good experience there was only one time that we ever had an issue and I got cleared up very quickly and so yes everything was good

Audrey Mitchell

February 21st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has been amazing as I have been traveling abroad. I trust the companies information, and the homes themselves are exactly as listed.

Nichole Hiatt

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

I have looked at multiple places on Airbnb for vacations. My biggest issue with Airbnb is that the prices you see in the beginning don't reflect the end price. There are so many extra fees, that by the end the total is quite a bit higher than the advertised price. I do like how many places are listed to view on the site though.

JDWain

February 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb is an awesome company and I love using them when travelling, it makes the cost of staying out of town super cheap and affordable

Amy Christian

February 18th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Airbnb as a host and a traveler. I thought the fees as a host were a little steep, but at the end of the day it was a great and easy process. They make it so easy to get your place set up online and guide you with ideas of how to be a great host. As a traveler, We have stopped staying in hotels as much and use Airbnb more because of the online app is so easy.

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Use Airbnb when I go to the beach. Totally worth it. The quality of care and ease of use was fantastic.

Randy Rhodes

February 13th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have always had good experiences with Airbnb. Have used it multiple times in multiple states to find the location and the accommodation for the number of people we have. Great for family reunions and travel.

Reckholdt

February 11th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super easy to use and we have found a number of great places to stay. It’s very simple to find a great place for a great value and by reading others reviews you can ensure your location will be the perfect fit.

Jenna Bagley

February 10th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Airbnb has always helped me have a more authentic (and usually cheaper) experience while traveling.

Ashley Wadiak

February 10th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love air b n b for all your vacation needs. You can travel anywhere and stay somewhere affordable

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I went to Italy for vacation, I booked three separate AirBnbs. The first was amazing but the other two were not as described in the listing.