Airbnb Logo

9.2

Based out of San Francisco, Airbnb burst onto the travel scene in 2008. It was founded as an accommodations site that allows travelers to book unique, temporary visits all across the world. The Airbnb community made it possible for travelers to book apartments, homes, villas, and even castles in over 191 countries at a reasonable rate.

To date, over 60 million people have booked their travel accommodations using Airbnb, and the company has over 2 million listings worldwide. It is important to note, however, that the only travel booking that can really take place on the Airbnb platform is lodging reservations.

Go directly to Airbnb customer reviews

Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.5
Google Flights Logo
#4 Google Flights chevron_right

The Good

• Unique Experience
  • Booking Options
  • Filtering
  • Reviews and Ratings

Unique Experience

Unlike traditional booking sites, Airbnb doesn't simply list prices and star ratings of the large hotel brands and chains. Instead, Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations it has for travelers are specific to its network, which means it opens up a whole new world to booking living quarters. For those interested in staying in the typical run-of-the-mill hotel chains, Airbnb will likely not be the best platform to use.

One more recent feature that Airbnb has rolled out is the option to not just book lodging, but also book unique travel activities and experiences directly through the company website. These activities include things like private cooking lessons with foreign or domestic chefs, horseback rides or other experiences with animals, art tours or lessons, and much more. Many of these experiences can even be done online, so you can book activities with Airbnb without traveling at all.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits of using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:

• Apartments
    • Townhomes
    • Condos
    • Homes
    • Villas
    • Castles
Review Icon

Customer Review: Brayden from Texas

"I like the creative options and less touristy places to stay....sailboats! I also find that the owners are friendly and accommodating. the prices are usually better than national sites."

Filtering

Rather than you having to spend time sorting through thousands of possible accommodations, Airbnb can quickly filter through search results to find your desired accommodation. A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low, nightly cost. When you are splittling the cost among the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits travelers is the reviews and ratings. The rating system on Airbnb is also a helpful tool to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pricing

Limitations

Airbnb is included in the "travel booking" industry because of the ability to book lodging and travel experiences; however, there are some services missing. While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of select aspects of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their platform, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip and some entertainment options. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:

• Flights
  • Cruises
  • Vacation Packages

There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay as well. Airbnb is a bit different from traditional hotel systems, so there are varying regulations placed on where it can operate. While it does operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if travelers are set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel or work with a different travel site.

Pricing

Travelers looking to save on lodging will most likely want to try a different platform (unless traveling in a large group). Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, demand, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

Airbnb is designed for the millennial traveler. Accommodations are found in unique areas and varying circumstances. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options
  2. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  3. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  4. Varied Locations - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  5. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere

View Best Travel Sites

Erin Farnsworth Orem, UT

I have been using Airbnb for almost 7 years and it has saved me so much money and gotten me in convenient locations for my trips. My favorite benefit of Airbnb is the privacy. I can have an entire apartment or small home to myself and my family for far cheaper than the a hotel. The only downside to Airbnb, (which is not actually the company) is dealing with hosts. Most are friendly and great, but occasionally checking in will be an interesting process or images of the space will appear much nicer than in real life. But as long as you know you are working with people who don't do this for a living and they are giving you a steal of a deal - your experience will be great. At an airbnb in Cali they came with big beach bikes and other beach materials that you definitely don't get at a hotel for free! Made out trip.

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

I have used Airbnb a few times for trips and have always had a great experience. The owners of the homes were easy to work with, and helpful. The website is very easy to navigate and search specific locations to vacation.

Dshatch Frankfort, IL

A great way to find cheaper places to stay when visiting new places. Airbnb has very comprehensive options, kind of the gold standard for booking sites.

Molly Smith Herriman, UT

To be fair, I've only used it once, but something went wrong and my reservation was cancelled a week before the trip I was planning. We weren't able to get another reservation in the same area within a week, so we cancelled the whole trip.

Noah Provo, UT

Creative business idea as a whole. Every host I've stayed with has been excellent, and rates are below what I might pay for a hotel of similar quality. It does limit flexibility on timing just a bit, but I find it to be 100% worth the perks.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Airbnb because they have some great places to stay in great locations. It's nice to be able to stay in an actual house or apartment rather than a hotel so I like that they make that possible. I don't like how the listed prices can be misleading because the fees are listed later on while you're booking.

Derek Vasquez Tallahassee, FL

I have used airbnb to find lodging multiple times in multiple countries. There are always affordable options, and I have always had good experiences with the hosts when I've stayed. Airbnb's customer service, on the other hand, is a different story. One time, a host cancelled a reservation on the day of, and after several hours of trying to get in contact with Airbnb, they refunded me, gave me a $7 credit, and sent me on my way to find my own lodging for the night. Very inconvenient!

Kay Tallahassee, FL

I have used Airbnb to book vacation rentals many times. The platform is easy to use and most of my experiences have been positive. However, after dealing with the Airbnb customer service when a rental fell through (the same day we were supposed to stay there) my opinion of the company has shifted. As soon as we were notified by the host that they were no longer available to host us, we reached out to Airbnb for help, hoping to make a new (now same-day) reservation and get a refund for the uninhabitable space. We opened a case with the company via chat and heard nothing for several hours. After searching online, we found a phone number to call to get through to them. We waited on hold for over an hour before we finally spoke to someone who told us we would receive a call back about our case shortly. We did not receive a call back for many hours--it was getting late and we had nowhere to stay. This significantly affected our vacation. Instead of exploring a new city, we spent hours waiting on hold, trying to get the situation sorted out before it got too late. After several hours of trying to get through to them, we finally did, and we received a refund, a $7 Airbnb credit, and were told we could book one of the (now quite expensive) last minute rooms with the company or find lodging ourselves. This was a frustrating experience that will affect my use of Airbnb in the future.

Na Oshkosh, WI

Like: trustworthy and airbnb takes complaints very seriously when it comes to dealing with your $$$. Filters works great to find what you need! Hosts gets rated and I strongly suggest booking with superhosts! Dislike: Airbnb hosts should update pictures as their rental property wears and tears. Some pictures seems super nice but in person it's not as luxurious as it seems, even for super hosts... But considering the price for my stays in the past, definitely worth the money.

Jennifer Salt Lake City, UT

The website is easy to use, but there are so many hidden fees you'll end up paying double. Also, if you're under 25, don't have 3 positive reviews, and live nearby, you can't rent whole units, because apparently, everyone under 25 will throw a party.

Sarah VanLeuven Orem, UT

I used Airbnb on my honeymoon. My husband and I stayed at several different places it’s saved us a lot of money, and gave us unique experiences.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

I love how Airbnb makes me be creative in where I stay and what I do. Their website is very easy to use and I trust having my credit information on the website.

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

Searching for places to stay use to be a hassle but now with Airbnb it gives me a variety with the added extra of being budget friendly for travel expenses.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

This company has been the best. It’s changed the way I vacation. We definitely look at Airbnb instead of opting for hotels. You get some much more out of a house vs a hotel when traveling with large families. I liked the ease of the website and comparing different properties. It was easy to book and talk to the homeowners if we had questions prior to arrival.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

I used Airbnb for the first time 2 months ago. The search was easy and detailed. My spouse and I both loved the place we stayed at. You get to rate your experience and publish it publicly as well as leaving a comment for your host. Your host also leaves a comment for the guests. It was nice to hear what the host has to say. During our stay, we were able to get a hold of our host very easily because of the chat feature on the site. You can't miss a message because they send you an email notification.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb has taken me on such fun adventures! Some places to stay I would never have found without the app. I love traveling to new and unique places and Airbnb makes that possible for everywhere I go. It is so easy to communicate with the property owners and they are all very polite and understanding. Every place I’ve stayed has been very clean and has had no issues!

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This is a very needed service for me who loves to travel in luxury. This allows me to book places to stay at with an affordable price. This is my go to service.

A E B Damascus, MD

a good way to find accommodation when aboard. however you have to read well the reviews before booking. I recommend this website for more than 3 days stay.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have had nothing but a great outcome from each Airbnb. What a great idea!! My family and I have loved being able to rent a large home for us to all be able to travel and stay together. The listings are reliable and are as they say they are. The process is clear and easy. I am a very happy customer.

Cris I. Orem, UT

Airbnb offers the best deals for our family vacations. It's much more affordable to reserve an Airbnb and have access to a kitchen than getting multiple hotel rooms for our family. We had to cancel a reservation due to covid and we had great customer service and easily got our money back.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Airbnb is an amazing service to find your home away from home. You can search your desired vacation or getaway spot and within seconds, receive thousands of options. The best part is you can filter your search by price, location, dates, and many more. This helps enhance your search even more. I love Airbnb.

Naya Tallahassee, FL

I have had many experiences with the Airbnb website and have the opportunity to book different homes wherever I may choose. I think a benefit of using this is the ability to look at various and homes and specifically choose what factors are important for your accommodation using filters. Although I have not experienced a bad Airbnb, there are some cases where the homes may be misrepresented which is why it is important to read past reviews and research that location before booking.

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I love Airbnb! I love to travel to different countries and I used to stay in hostels because that was the cheapest place to stay, but once I found out about Airbnbs I never looked back. I have used Airbnb in several countries and have always been pleased with where I have stayed. The app makes it easy to see what bookings you have, communicate with your host without exchanging other personal information, and find the locations of the airbnb with ease. I have also stayed in a few inside the US and it has always been a pleasant experience. This is by FAR my favorite way to travel!

Karli American Fork, UT

Airbnb has a very wide selection of wonderful properties in places all over the world. We especially had a great experience when we traveled to Italy. The language barrier was never an issue and every place we've ever stayed from Airbnb has been clean and very accurate to the description on the site. The one downside is that there are quite a bit of extra fees on top, so the price ends up going up quite a lot from the original listing.

Ashton Rogers Fayetteville, AR

I love Airbnb and i think its a great alternative to hotels for people looking to have a more homey get-away experience. My Airbnbs are always clean and are great for their money value. The hosts I have rented from are always nice and respond to messages quickly. I think it is best to rent from a "super host" if possible because they have the most experience.

Grant Conrady Fayetteville, AR

I booked a trip to New York City a couple of years back. Some friends and I wanted a place to stay in the city that was close to a subway station, food, activities, etc. I used the Airbnb app and put in my dates, how many people were coming, and our desired location...the app did the room finding for me! I was able to directly communicate with the landlord and book our stay. We had no issues with our stay and were able to coordinate arrival time(s) and departure right through the app. I have been looking for other vacations to book and my first stop is always Airbnb!

Amy Barrus Sandy, UT

I enjoy using Airbnb for family vacation planning. It is a user-friendly site. We have a family of eight so it is difficult to find options that work in the hotel setting. Airbnb has changed that restricting factor when we go on vacation. I have viewed homes for rent inside and outside the US and have been mostly satisfied with everything at my stays. One thing that I would like to see improved at properties like this is a minimum amount of necessities like dishes, toilet paper, laundry supplies etc. I have noticed that sometimes a stay will accommodate 10 people, but there are only 4 bowls. (Not very practical) On the whole we have had great experiences. In February 2020 we celebrated our 20th anniversary on a hilltop in Iceland in an Airbnb that had historic significance, was one of 3 homes in a fjord, and had really fun additions including an inground trampoline. We want to take our children back in the summer and enjoy the opposite season there as well.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

I have found some absolutely beautiful places to stay using Airbnb and they have made my experience better.

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb has plenty of great houses to stay in for whatever destination you may be looking to visit. However, i will say that sometimes the cleaning fees can be a bit extensive. I do understand the purpose behind it so I cannot complain too much!

Ramona Kiffing Pompano Beach, FL

Airbnb was very easy to use and book a location for the weekend. I like that they have many options and are more affordable and stylish than a hotel. I would definitely recommend the app.

Kali D. Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb always provides me with great customer service and my rentals are always to my liking. If anything was wrong they are quick to get it fixed or refund of my money. Their customer service is great.

Brandy Tallahassee, FL

I've used AirBnb a couple of times to book vacation houses for trips and I loved it. the Hosts are always amazing and its also nice that you can communicate with the hosts through the app. the houses are always clean and the customer service with Airbnb is very fast and attentive.

Pekeiydra Williams Tallahassee, FL

Love Airbnb, I use them when I travel with my family so when can all be comfortable at an affordable price rather than booking multiple hotel rooms. The hosts are always nice and available, the houses I’ve stayed in are always clean and stocked stocked with the necessities.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

I have stayed at many different places and they have all been very welcoming and convenient and if there has been an issue it has been handled very well and as quickly as possible. I have yet I have any bad experience. I love that they have options almost anywhere

G Burt ,

Airbnb does a good job of being transparent, and helping renters to feel like the owners are real people. I've enjoyed my experiences booking with Airbnb. With fees and everything shorter stays end up being more expensive than a hotel, but longer stays can be more comparable.

Hannah McGuire Los Angeles, CA

I love Airbnb! I have used it internationally and in the US, and have found it to be a great tool. I love reading the reviews on different places and seeing other ppls experiences- that has been the most helpful to me in finding a good place to stay.

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

A better way to travel! So much more efficient and cheaper than standard hotel/motel stays. Getting and airbnb is often more more pleasant than going to a big chain hotel. I travel quite a bit and airbnb takes all the hassle away!

Corbin Short ,

What I like the most about Airbnb is the novel business idea of home-sharing. And it works so much better than hotels in a lot of different scenarios. Airbnb has definitely upgraded my travel plans. It's hard to plan financially though because you cant anticipate how much a maintenance fee will be until you're ready to buy, which is annoying since it is often 50% of the total cost to rent.

Jared Provo, UT

The few times I have used Airbnb have been positive experiences! I stayed at two different places during a multi-day trip and was pleased with the people. The app also has a nice user interface. I've heard of people having negative experiences with it, but I never have myself.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I used air BnB to find a super cool Tipi in Arizona to camp at. The views were amazing; there was so much privacy. I would say your experience will depend on the hosts of your stay, but for me it was super easy to find such a unique stay and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sarah Fayetteville, AR

AirBnB has made searching for vacation rentals SO EASY. The app is so easy to use, and I love that you can organize the stays / experiences into different categories while planning different trips. Seriously has changed the game for traveling!

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

Love it! I love the concept, love the user interface. It's all great. I like renting from Superhosts and knowing they have a good track record. Sometimes the map view of available spots loads a little slowly, but not too bad.

Quinn Odom Tulsa, OK

I have always booked vacation homes through Airbnb and I have never been disappointed. The homes are always clean and well kept. The booking process is easy and most of the home owners are very well at communicating. It is very comforting to always walk into a clean home!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Airbnb is a newer jewel on the internet. I have used it to find properties for rent. I have made better and cheaper travel arrangements using these services. This is an invaluable resource to connect with property owners wanting to lease/rent their properties. Airbnb makes that connection possible. And they have great safeguards for you as the buyer/renter as well. They make this a safe experience!

Susan Kaplan

Airbnb provides a wide selection of lovely properties for any number of guests, generally between 1 and 8. Properties range from a room in a private house to small and large guesthouses and standalone houses. Finding a property that suits your needs and amenities requirements. One can review photos of the properties and read multiple reviews before making a choice. Airbnb also offers a variety of experiences so the guest can get a taste of local culture and activities.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Whenever we go on trips that are more than just a couple nights, we always uses Airbnb to find a place to stay. It's so much nicer with a family to have a home/ apartment to stay in vs. a hotel and having to pay for several rooms and then have to go out for every meal. All of my experiences in the US and out of the country as well have been great. I will definitely continue using Airbnb in the future.

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

I have used Airbnb on multiple occasions to rent small homes for short stays. I have found that they offer a large amount of options to choose from and everything has always gone very smoothly. I like how easy it is to compare the different prices and size of the various homes in the area of interest. It seems that Airbnb does a great job of checking to make sure that the individuals from which you are renting are all reliable.

Victoria Fayetteville, AR

This summer, I needed a place to stay while moving into my new apartment. I was so overwhelmed with looking for hotels and confused about the whole process so I downloaded Airbnb. It was so simple and found areas very close to my apartment. This is so easy and convenient to use, I have used it many more times now! Every single stay I have had has been nothing but wonderful. I look forward to my next trip with Airbnb

Irinna Danielson Riverton, UT

I was hesitant to use Airbnb because I had never stayed in one before, but the site was super helpful when we were looking for a place to stay during a recent vacation to Hawaii. The site had great pictures and I found the review from people who had stayed at the various homes really helpful. It was easy to navigate, easy to book, and it was one less thing to worry about as we went to paradise. After using Airbnb that one time, it's become a regular site we visit when considering accommodations, especially since we have four kids and sometimes going this route is cheaper and more comfortable than staying in a hotel.

Danielle LeCheminant Lehi, UT

We booked a place to stay for our vacation to Kauai and loved it! It's nice to be able to stay in a Airbnb because it feels more like a home than a hotel. Also, the person's home we stayed in was nicely equipped with snorkle gear and a beach tent which was very nice to have since we didn't have room for it in our suitcases and we didn't have to rent them!