Airbnb Logo

9.1

Based out of San Francisco, Airbnb burst onto the scene in 2008. It was founded as an accommodations site which allows travelers to book unique temporary visits all across the world. The Airbnb community made it possible for travelers to book apartments, homes, villas, and even castles in over 191 countries at a reasonable rate.

Over 60 million people have booked their travel accommodations using Airbnb to date and they have over 2 million listings worldwide. It is important to note, however, that the only travel booking that can really take place on the Airbnb platform are lodging reservations.

Go Directly to Airbnb Customer Reviews

Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.8
Google Flights Logo
#4 Google Flights chevron_right

The Good

• Unique Experience
  • Booking Options
  • Filtering
  • Reviews and Ratings

Unique Experience

Unlike traditional booking sites, Airbnb doesn't simply list prices and star ratings of the large hotel brands and chains. Instead, Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations they have for travelers are specific to their network which means they open up a whole new world to booking living quarters. For those interested in staying in the typical run-of-the-mill hotel chains, Airbnb will likely not be the best platform to use.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits to using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:

• Apartments
    • Townhomes
    • Condos
    • Homes
    • Villas
    • Castles
Review Icon

Customer Review: Brayden from Texas

"I like the creative options and less touristy places to stay....sailboats! I also find that the owners are friendly and accommodating. the prices are usually better than national sites."

Filtering

Rather than spend time sorting through thousands of possible accommodations, Airbnb users can quickly filter through search results to find their desired accommodation. A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low nightly cost. When split between the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits is travelers are the reviews and ratings. The rating system is also a helpful took to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pricing

Limitations

Airbnb is included in the "travel booking" industry because of the ability to book lodging; however, there are some services missing. While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of one aspect of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their platform, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:

• Flights
  • Travel Activities
  • Cruises
  • Vacation Packages

There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay as well. Airbnb is a bit different from traditional hotel systems, so there are varying regulations placed on where they can operate. While they do operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if a traveler is set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel.

Pricing

Travelers looking to save on lodging will most likely want to try a different platform (unless traveling in a large group). Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, demand, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

Airbnb is designed for the millennial traveler. Accommodations are found in unique areas and varying circumstances. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options
  2. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  3. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  4. Varied Locations - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  5. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere

View Best Travel Sites

Na Oshkosh, WI

Like: trustworthy and airbnb takes complaints very seriously when it comes to dealing with your $$$. Filters works great to find what you need! Hosts gets rated and I strongly suggest booking with superhosts! Dislike: Airbnb hosts should update pictures as their rental property wears and tears. Some pictures seems super nice but in person it's not as luxurious as it seems, even for super hosts... But considering the price for my stays in the past, definitely worth the money.

Andy Beall Damascus, MD

Airbnb is easily accessible, a great way to be independent with your employment and your choice of supporting small businesses.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Great company and concept. We booked an amazing house for vacation and it was so easy and joyful!

CoasterRider Show Low, AZ

I've had great success with booking places to stay through Airbnb. The site is well organized and easy to navigate.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have had nothing but a great outcome from each Airbnb. What a great idea!! My family and I have loved being able to rent a large home for us to all be able to travel and stay together. The listings are reliable and are as they say they are. The process is clear and easy. I am a very happy customer.

Cris I. Orem, UT

Airbnb offers the best deals for our family vacations. It's much more affordable to reserve an Airbnb and have access to a kitchen than getting multiple hotel rooms for our family. We had to cancel a reservation due to covid and we had great customer service and easily got our money back.

Rebeckah Anestin Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a great way to find a nice place to stay in any price range. It is a great alternative to hotels

Louisena Osias Tallahassee, FL

Made searching for a place to stay so much easier! I would definitely use this again.

Maureen Canelo Valdosta, GA

Airbnb is great for choosing a home away from home. The hosts are always very welcoming.

Jodianna Altamonte Springs, FL

I love how flexible the dates are to book. Each time I go to the app it always suggests multiple places for me to stay. I would recommend this to anyone.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Airbnb is an amazing service to find your home away from home. You can search your desired vacation or getaway spot and within seconds, receive thousands of options. The best part is you can filter your search by price, location, dates, and many more. This helps enhance your search even more. I love Airbnb.

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb has plenty of great houses to stay in for whatever destination you may be looking to visit. However, i will say that sometimes the cleaning fees can be a bit extensive. I do understand the purpose behind it so I cannot complain too much!

Ramona Kiffing Pompano Beach, FL

Airbnb was very easy to use and book a location for the weekend. I like that they have many options and are more affordable and stylish than a hotel. I would definitely recommend the app.

Naya Tallahassee, FL

I have had many experiences with the Airbnb website and have the opportunity to book different homes wherever I may choose. I think a benefit of using this is the ability to look at various and homes and specifically choose what factors are important for your accommodation using filters. Although I have not experienced a bad Airbnb, there are some cases where the homes may be misrepresented which is why it is important to read past reviews and research that location before booking.

Gaby Alexander Tallahassee, FL

I have used Airbnb a few times for trips and it's a great resource to find places for large groups of people.

Kali D. Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb always provides me with great customer service and my rentals are always to my liking. If anything was wrong they are quick to get it fixed or refund of my money. Their customer service is great.

Wilinda Sylvestre Tallahassee, FL

When I travel, I love using Air BnB! The houses are always nice and well presented. I haven’t had a bad experience yet.

Valerie Bui Salt Lake City, UT

Airbnb definitely beats hotels. Love being able to be have a place to ourselves and not worry so much about being too loud especially with a big group!

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

I always have trouble finding a place due to age restrictions! It’s very frustrating to be a college student. There should be a filter for this.

karis buggs

Airbnb make traveling so easy. All of the hosts I have had make my traveling experience so comforting.

Christi Gilbert Gettysburg, PA

I have stayed in different ones. They are all very clean and at a great price. If I had an issue there is someone to meet me in person to resolve it without too long of a wait.

Anna Gratalo Salt Lake City, UT

AirBnB is great for your next adventure, I can find amazing places that feel so homey and makes a vacation a lot more memorable.

J$ ,

Great properties, even better prices! You can support small businesses by using Airbnb.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

I used Airbnb for the first time 2 months ago. The search was easy and detailed. My spouse and I both loved the place we stayed at. You get to rate your experience and publish it publicly as well as leaving a comment for your host. Your host also leaves a comment for the guests. It was nice to hear what the host has to say. During our stay, we were able to get a hold of our host very easily because of the chat feature on the site. You can't miss a message because they send you an email notification.

Ana Vila American Fork, UT

Love everything about this app and their service from the details look feel and the system and checks and balances. It’s my go to for traveling !

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb has taken me on such fun adventures! Some places to stay I would never have found without the app. I love traveling to new and unique places and Airbnb makes that possible for everywhere I go. It is so easy to communicate with the property owners and they are all very polite and understanding. Every place I’ve stayed has been very clean and has had no issues!

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

Airbnb has great customer service and you can tell that they care about you having a great experience wherever you stay.

Janiah Cook Tallahassee, FL

I got an Airbnb for my 18th. The communication and overall process was easy and fun ! The house was clean and I had a great birthday.

Ivy King Norcross, GA

Rented a space in NYC!! It was absolutely awful. There were mice running around and BED BUGS!!

Aleena Hafiz ,

While COVID has presented It’s challenges, AirBNB is the best option for travel. Hotels can be boring sometimes, and you want to get an authentic feel of the place you’re visiting. Love AirBnB!

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

A great selection of places to stay anywhere you want to go. Would highly recommend using them to anyone. Big or small budgets.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Love AirBnB! I don’t feel I’ve ever gone wrong with the service and the only times I don’t use it is when they don’t have good coverage in remote rural areas where I’m going.

Juliana Castin Tallahassee, FL

It’s great for those, when you are in groups and would prefer a more homey and relaxed experience.

Amy Patton Pflugerville, TX

I've been a super host and a customer with Airbnb and I have been very pleased with them! They are quick to respond and they care about their customers!

Ashley Johnson Las Vegas, NV

Great way to travel on a budget! So many different types of locations available.

Ellie Olea Chandler, AZ

I would not be able to stay at such nice places without Airbnb. I love using this app for my travel needs. They have really awesome places to stay at reasonable prices.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

When I need a vacation, this is the first place I check for places to stay, no matter where I am going! Simple and easy to use, and no matter what I want to spend, I am able to find something in my price range. I have found some great places I will return to over and over.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Airbnb is a good way to find unique and cheap places to stay. I feel like it is a hit or miss and so thats why I don't always use Airbnb. Because there isn't a standard of cleanliness like at Hotels, it can be a risk. But, I like that you can get ratings from other customers who have been in that stay before. Those reviews are important to read before booking your stay.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

Airbnb has been very helpful and reliable, especially during the pandemic. We haven't had any problems with cleanliness and they have been very flexible with refunds based on county regulations.

Bailey Bowen Eagle Mountain, UT

Me and my family have used air Bnb for multiple family trips. It is always reliable and I can trust the site to only promote safe options!

applebutteranna Butler West Wendover, NV

Airbnb is a great place to find local rentals for travel and vacations. The people are typically reliable and I have never had a bad experience with the people I'm renting from.

A Johnson Phoenix, AZ

We use Airbnb when going to California. We can always find somewhere close to the beach at a great price! Always very clean with a great host.

ang ,

I have been pleasantly surprised with every single one of my Airbnb stays. It’s simple to find places of all sizes and price ranges.

Mike Halliday ,

My wife and I have used this site to find great places to stay for special occasions and have not been disappointed.

Russell Kern Lehi, UT

I love how easy it is to find amazing places to stay around the world for such an amazing price.

Alexa Cooper Salt Lake City, UT

Awesome! I used them in Bulgaria and California and I love how they provide home owners with an opportunity to use their home as an asset. Getting refunded for covid was difficult, but other than that I had a great experience!!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

Airbnb is such a nice way to get local on a vacation. There are a lot more options when you go outside of resorts. The only thing I don't love is the hefty cleaning fee, even for a short stay. It definitely seems more worth it to say longer.

Liza ,

Airbnb is one of our favorite ways to travel! So many different types of places to stay for all different budgets!

Jamie Provo, UT

It was easy to use and the filters work amazing. Enough people are using it that there is something for every vacation I have ever gone on.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

I have stayed at many different places and they have all been very welcoming and convenient and if there has been an issue it has been handled very well and as quickly as possible. I have yet I have any bad experience. I love that they have options almost anywhere