Airbnb Logo

9.3

LAST UPDATED: December 6th, 2021

Based out of San Francisco, Airbnb burst onto the travel scene in 2008. It was founded as an accommodations site that allows travelers to book unique, temporary visits all across the world. The Airbnb community made it possible for travelers to book apartments, homes, villas, and even castles in over 191 countries at a reasonable rate.

To date, over 60 million people have booked their travel accommodations using Airbnb, and the company has over 2 million listings worldwide. It is important to note, however, that the only travel booking that can really take place on the Airbnb platform is lodging reservations.

Go directly to Airbnb customer reviews

Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.4
Google Flights Logo
#4 Google Flights chevron_right

The Good

• Unique Experience
  • Booking Options
  • Filtering
  • Reviews and Ratings

Unique Experience

Unlike traditional booking sites, Airbnb doesn't simply list prices and star ratings of the large hotel brands and chains. Instead, Airbnb offers a unique experience to those looking to stray from the typical hotel perspective of traveling. A network of "hosts" must qualify to list their properties on Airbnb. These hosts can be found in the U.S. and internationally. The ability to stay in the middle of a big city or off in a small, rural town is something that makes Airbnb stand out from traditional booking bureaus.

The listings on Airbnb cannot be found with any other travel agency. The accommodations it has for travelers are specific to its network, which means it opens up a whole new world to booking living quarters. For those interested in staying in the typical run-of-the-mill hotel chains, Airbnb will likely not be the best platform to use.

One more recent feature that Airbnb has rolled out is the option to not just book lodging, but also book unique travel activities and experiences directly through the company website. These activities include things like private cooking lessons with foreign or domestic chefs, horseback rides or other experiences with animals, art tours or lessons, and much more. Many of these experiences can even be done online, so you can book activities with Airbnb without traveling at all.

Booking Options

With Airbnb, travelers can book for just a night, a week, or even a month depending on the listing and location. One of the benefits of using Airbnb is that travelers can experience a unique side to their travel destination not otherwise available in a hotel. For instance, travelers can book the following:

• Apartments
    • Townhomes
    • Condos
    • Homes
    • Villas
    • Castles
Review Icon

Customer Review: Brayden from Texas

"I like the creative options and less touristy places to stay....sailboats! I also find that the owners are friendly and accommodating. the prices are usually better than national sites."

Filtering

Rather than you having to spend time sorting through thousands of possible accommodations, Airbnb can quickly filter through search results to find your desired accommodation. A prospective traveler who uses Airbnb will be able to sort based on price, listing type, and even number of travelers. Another beneficial aspect to using Airbnb is that larger groups, for instance, can book a home for one low, nightly cost. When you are splittling the cost among the traveling party, the Airbnb option becomes much more affordable and often times provides a more comfortable living situation.

Reviews and Ratings

Another feature that benefits travelers is the reviews and ratings. The rating system on Airbnb is also a helpful tool to prospective travelers and even for Airbnb hosts. At the end of each stay, the host will rate the guests (based on how their property was treated) and the guests will rate the listing/host. These ratings help those who are looking to book using Airbnb and keeps guests from booking who find it difficult to treat the properties with respect.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • Pricing

Limitations

Airbnb is included in the "travel booking" industry because of the ability to book lodging and travel experiences; however, there are some services missing. While Airbnb does provide an entirely original traveling experience, it only takes care of select aspects of the booking process. Most traveling agencies allow their travelers to book a number of their accommodations through their platform, but Airbnb focuses solely on where the traveler will stay throughout their trip and some entertainment options. That means the following cannot be booked using Airbnb:

• Flights
  • Cruises
  • Vacation Packages

There are also some limitations as to where a traveler can visit and stay as well. Airbnb is a bit different from traditional hotel systems, so there are varying regulations placed on where it can operate. While it does operate in nearly 200 countries, there are some cities that do not allow Airbnb listings. So, if travelers are set on one of those cities, they will need to book a traditional hotel or work with a different travel site.

Pricing

Travelers looking to save on lodging will most likely want to try a different platform (unless traveling in a large group). Since some of the listings are rather lavish, the prices may seem to be more expensive than if a traveler were to simply book a hotel. There are deals and discounts available through Airbnb and prices per night will fluctuate depending on season, length of stay, demand, and size of the traveling party.

The Bottom Line

Airbnb is designed for the millennial traveler. Accommodations are found in unique areas and varying circumstances. Travelers interested in staying in places that would not be available to them otherwise would most likely enjoy using the Airbnb service. However, those looking for a more comprehensive way to book their travel may want to use another resource. Travelers who book their accommodations through Airbnb can expect the following:

1. Sorting tool - quickly filter through hundreds or even thousands of lodging options
  2. Unique travel accommodations - stay in properties that would not otherwise be available
  3. Cut costs on large groups - split the costs per night to save money
  4. Varied Locations - Airbnb has listings both in the U.S. and internationally
  5. Extra booking efforts required - travelers will need to book their flights and other travel necessities elsewhere

View Best Travel Sites

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

My go-to website/app to look for places to stay when I travel is Airbnb. I love that you can get the whole house, condo, apartment to yourself and it is usually cheaper than staying at a hotel, and you get a bigger space too! I've stayed in plenty of Airbnbs and I plan on staying in many more as I expand my travel destintations.

rohanna meikle Jacksonville, FL

I had a great experience with Airbnb. The website was well organized and had valuable information such as phone number, pictures of the place, and name of the person the place belong to .

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Still my first go to whenever I travel versus a traditional hotel. Obviously your experience can change based on the host but Airbnb's customer service makes it right if the host doesn't. Now that they've been around a while I feel they vet postings more so this is rarely an issue.

aserbacher Tallahassee, FL

When I was studying abroad in Italy, I used AirBnB to book all of my stays. From Positano to Amalfi coast, the website has always been there for me and I know I can find a nice, affordable place to stay anywhere in the world.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

I have used Airbnb quite often for many of my passed vacations and getaways. It is a great way to save money while exploring unique places to stay & new cities/countries. Just when I thought Airbnb could not get any better, they added experiences to what you can book through them; photoshoots, cooking classes, hiking, among many more. Lastly, Airbnb's customer service is amazing. When my family and the host of our Airbnb had discrepancies during a vacation, Airbnb handled it with grace and tried their best so that both of us reached a mutual agreement.

Aybree McBride Ogden, UT

I've used the app multiple times for trips, I love the app and the website is good too. So far I have not had a bad experience!

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

The Airbnb site is very easy to navigate, which is nice. The reviews for each rental home are extremely detailed and provide accurate information about the cleanliness, location, and value.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Airbnb provides an easy way to stay in places that feel more like home. I stayed in a beautiful cabin along nature and a creek. The people were incredibly friendly and understanding. Airbnb as the corporation is incredible because it allows people to become business owners by applying through the resource. Most Airbnbs I have been it have been maintained well and the service is extremely easy to use. I've never had a problem with ratings or anything.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

I love this app because it always helps me find great quality Airbnbs at a low price. Whenever I travel, I usually look for Airbnbs before I check hotels and I always do this through this app. A definite go-to if you are traveling!

Gabrielle Civil Chapel Hill, NC

I really enjoy using Airbnb because it provides quality stays in areas all over the world. I usually use this platform to find luxury stays for larger groups. Perfect for family vacations! There are some rentals that should be reviewed because there can be times where what is advertised is not what is provided. However, this instance is a very rare occasion and Airbnb assists well with that.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

I love Airbnb. I always use it when traveling out of town or even when I want to have a weekend of fun with my friends in my hometown. There are so many nice houses to choose from.

Jada Urquhart Tallahassee, FL

I love the Airbnb's. I have stayed in multiple and have always had a positive experience. Prices can sometimes be more expensive than hotels, so thats something to look out for.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is sometimes a better option than booking a hotel. There are many different locations to choose from and all types of stays. Airbnb takes security seriously, but they should see if theres a way to look into more of their listings, as sometimes they are not what they seem.

Lisa Williams Jacksonville, FL

Allows you to see the inside and outside any place you want to live at. The process is easy if you want to start using your place as an Airbnb

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Fantastic website to find places to stay when traveling. Customer service is top-notch and they offer good deals and discounts at times.

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is so much better than a hotel! It’s almost like a home away from home and if you can afford it, it will always be my first recommendation before a hotel.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Airbnb is the best! It is the best for trying to find vacation homes. Aribnb is great at fixing problems when things come up! It is easy to report issues and to get feedback about them.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

Much better alternative to hotels while travelling. Had to cancel a stay due to COVID-19, but they were able to refund it with credits to use within a year. Not sure if they keep that same policy now that the pandemic is dying down.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

I have rented a couple times from airbnb. It's pretty easy to rent and I like their searching ability. The only thing I don't like is how high their costs are. I have friends who say they are charged on their end as well. However, I guess it's fine since they do provide the market.

Na Oshkosh, WI

Like: trustworthy and airbnb takes complaints very seriously when it comes to dealing with your $$$. Filters works great to find what you need! Hosts gets rated and I strongly suggest booking with superhosts! Dislike: Airbnb hosts should update pictures as their rental property wears and tears. Some pictures seems super nice but in person it's not as luxurious as it seems, even for super hosts... But considering the price for my stays in the past, definitely worth the money.

Erin Farnsworth Orem, UT

I have been using Airbnb for almost 7 years and it has saved me so much money and gotten me in convenient locations for my trips. My favorite benefit of Airbnb is the privacy. I can have an entire apartment or small home to myself and my family for far cheaper than the a hotel. The only downside to Airbnb, (which is not actually the company) is dealing with hosts. Most are friendly and great, but occasionally checking in will be an interesting process or images of the space will appear much nicer than in real life. But as long as you know you are working with people who don't do this for a living and they are giving you a steal of a deal - your experience will be great. At an airbnb in Cali they came with big beach bikes and other beach materials that you definitely don't get at a hotel for free! Made out trip.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is amazing. I stayed in an amazing cabin for my trip to Colorado. Airbnb made trip planning easy!

Ruth Jeanmary Tallahassee, FL

I used Airbnb on my trip to Atlanta and found a great place to stay. Everything was exactly like the photos and my friends and I had a great stay.

r vido Orem, UT

We had a wonderful time in the area. Small town with many outdoor activities. But all that changed when I received a negative review about our cleanliness left at the house. Keep in mind that there’s a substantial cleaning fee and admin fees on top of the rental fee. This kinda lefts bad taste for our trip. These host don’t know the service and hospitality industry. I’ll stick to a reputable hotel from now on and get better treatment, don’t wanna spend my good earned monies on these hosts that try to make a quick buck and complaining when need to provide a service.

jakira johnson Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a great company to look into when trying to find vacation homes to stay in while on vacation. I like that Airbnb has all types of homes within any budget that you have. The company is fast with replies and their hosts are always accommodating to any needs you may have.

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a great tool used for booking housing. I have used it numerous times to book stays whether it be in my home city or in a completely different state. They have a vast array of places to choose from and do a great job of certifying hosts for the houses.

Noah Provo, UT

Creative business idea as a whole. Every host I've stayed with has been excellent, and rates are below what I might pay for a hotel of similar quality. It does limit flexibility on timing just a bit, but I find it to be 100% worth the perks.

Christopher Goerg CO

Airbnb has been easy to use for several of our family vacations and has always worked flawlessly.

Vy Ha Birmingham, AL

Convenient and helps easier connection to host whenever there’s a problem I want to communicate with them

Tomi Onikeku Tallahassee, FL

I used this site to find a home for my family reunion. The website is easy to navigate and very straight forward

Zharia Allums Tallahassee, FL

I like the honest reviews but one of the problems I have with Airbnb is all of the fees that are associated with it that weren't there before.

Simone Harris

My experience with this company was predominantly positive. However, the new policy change that has increased the minimum age to rent has posed a problem for me. I also find the additional fees have become excessively high recently and would prefer a complete price breakdown from the start.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a company that I used to support but no longer can. In order to subsidize “party houses” not only have the prices of rentals, service fees, and cleaning fees increased but also the renting age has. This makes the experience inaccessible to younger renters who have every intention of using the homes for their intended purposes. Moreover, as I’ve stayed at Airbnb‘s before, the price increase is not worth the experience that you receive.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb is a great platform to book somewhere to stay when hotels seem to be on the pricier side. However, the prices and rules are starting to offset the purpose of the company completely. When I got to an accident my mother and uncle needed an emergency place to stay last minute up in Tallahassee and I couldn't even book a place because I was 20.

Kori Travis Tallahassee, FL

Airbnb really has houses that will fit your needs based on what you are looking for when you pick your destination. There are problems when it comes to getting in contact with the host of the houses but overall it is a very efficient vacation home site.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

Really easy to navigate, I just hate some of these new rules regarding age limits. I was trying to plan a retreat for a college org and every listing required the person checking in to be 25+. We're literally undergrads?? I understand not wanting people to throw parties but you're completely disregarding an entire demographic

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

I have used Airbnb a few times for trips and have always had a great experience. The owners of the homes were easy to work with, and helpful. The website is very easy to navigate and search specific locations to vacation.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Airbnb because they have some great places to stay in great locations. It's nice to be able to stay in an actual house or apartment rather than a hotel so I like that they make that possible. I don't like how the listed prices can be misleading because the fees are listed later on while you're booking.

Derek Vasquez Tallahassee, FL

I have used airbnb to find lodging multiple times in multiple countries. There are always affordable options, and I have always had good experiences with the hosts when I've stayed. Airbnb's customer service, on the other hand, is a different story. One time, a host cancelled a reservation on the day of, and after several hours of trying to get in contact with Airbnb, they refunded me, gave me a $7 credit, and sent me on my way to find my own lodging for the night. Very inconvenient!

Kay Tallahassee, FL

I have used Airbnb to book vacation rentals many times. The platform is easy to use and most of my experiences have been positive. However, after dealing with the Airbnb customer service when a rental fell through (the same day we were supposed to stay there) my opinion of the company has shifted. As soon as we were notified by the host that they were no longer available to host us, we reached out to Airbnb for help, hoping to make a new (now same-day) reservation and get a refund for the uninhabitable space. We opened a case with the company via chat and heard nothing for several hours. After searching online, we found a phone number to call to get through to them. We waited on hold for over an hour before we finally spoke to someone who told us we would receive a call back about our case shortly. We did not receive a call back for many hours--it was getting late and we had nowhere to stay. This significantly affected our vacation. Instead of exploring a new city, we spent hours waiting on hold, trying to get the situation sorted out before it got too late. After several hours of trying to get through to them, we finally did, and we received a refund, a $7 Airbnb credit, and were told we could book one of the (now quite expensive) last minute rooms with the company or find lodging ourselves. This was a frustrating experience that will affect my use of Airbnb in the future.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Airbnb is a newer jewel on the internet. I have used it to find properties for rent. I have made better and cheaper travel arrangements using these services. This is an invaluable resource to connect with property owners wanting to lease/rent their properties. Airbnb makes that connection possible. And they have great safeguards for you as the buyer/renter as well. They make this a safe experience!

Susan Kaplan

Airbnb provides a wide selection of lovely properties for any number of guests, generally between 1 and 8. Properties range from a room in a private house to small and large guesthouses and standalone houses. Finding a property that suits your needs and amenities requirements. One can review photos of the properties and read multiple reviews before making a choice. Airbnb also offers a variety of experiences so the guest can get a taste of local culture and activities.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Whenever we go on trips that are more than just a couple nights, we always uses Airbnb to find a place to stay. It's so much nicer with a family to have a home/ apartment to stay in vs. a hotel and having to pay for several rooms and then have to go out for every meal. All of my experiences in the US and out of the country as well have been great. I will definitely continue using Airbnb in the future.

Kylene McCune Meridian, ID

Airbnb's are clean, family-friendly, and comfortable to stay in on vacations.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

This company has been the best. It’s changed the way I vacation. We definitely look at Airbnb instead of opting for hotels. You get some much more out of a house vs a hotel when traveling with large families. I liked the ease of the website and comparing different properties. It was easy to book and talk to the homeowners if we had questions prior to arrival.

Bing Yeung Riverton, UT

I used Airbnb for the first time 2 months ago. The search was easy and detailed. My spouse and I both loved the place we stayed at. You get to rate your experience and publish it publicly as well as leaving a comment for your host. Your host also leaves a comment for the guests. It was nice to hear what the host has to say. During our stay, we were able to get a hold of our host very easily because of the chat feature on the site. You can't miss a message because they send you an email notification.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb has taken me on such fun adventures! Some places to stay I would never have found without the app. I love traveling to new and unique places and Airbnb makes that possible for everywhere I go. It is so easy to communicate with the property owners and they are all very polite and understanding. Every place I’ve stayed has been very clean and has had no issues!

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

I love Airbnb! I love to travel to different countries and I used to stay in hostels because that was the cheapest place to stay, but once I found out about Airbnbs I never looked back. I have used Airbnb in several countries and have always been pleased with where I have stayed. The app makes it easy to see what bookings you have, communicate with your host without exchanging other personal information, and find the locations of the airbnb with ease. I have also stayed in a few inside the US and it has always been a pleasant experience. This is by FAR my favorite way to travel!

Karli American Fork, UT

Airbnb has a very wide selection of wonderful properties in places all over the world. We especially had a great experience when we traveled to Italy. The language barrier was never an issue and every place we've ever stayed from Airbnb has been clean and very accurate to the description on the site. The one downside is that there are quite a bit of extra fees on top, so the price ends up going up quite a lot from the original listing.

Shanelle vickers Jacksonville, FL

Overall, I feel like Airbnb is a good company. It can be a little trick but the hours are always clean.