AAA Travel Logo

5.1

Founded in 1900, AAA originally started with California-based car enthusiasts providing one simple service. Today, AAA is made up of 54 million members spread throughout the United States and Canada.

AAA Travel makes it possible for customers to book hotels, cars, flights, and cruises. It also provides special offers such as Disney hotel and ticket packages.

With the help of its travel blog, customers can find inspiration for their next European vacation, ideas on how to travel smarter in San Francisco or cruise tips for traveling with families.

Customers can choose from nearly 200 detailed maps and TourBooks which include the U.S., Canada, and Europe. AAA Travel generated $3.8 billion in sales during the year 2013 and also made the top 10 booking companies listed by sales according to Skift.

Airbnb Logo
#2 Airbnb chevron_right
Expedia Logo
#3 Expedia chevron_right
3.6

The Good

• Network
  • Accommodations
  • Sorting Tool
  • Travel Insurance
  • Rewards Program
  • Mobile App

Network

AAA Travel specializes in providing high quality, and sometimes even luxurious, vacations at a discounted rate. Each year, they help thousands of people travel the world without breaking their budget. The AAA Travel network includes hundreds of participating airlines, hotels, and other travel providers help ensure low rates for the best value.

Accommodations

Travelers that navigate to the AAA Travel site will quickly notice that it is easy to book all necessary travel accommodations. The interface is organized and can even take travelers through a step by step process to assist users in booking their next vacation. Accommodations that can be booked online through the AAA Travel platform include:

• Hotels - hundreds of brands/chains available
  • Cars - rent cars at a discounted rate
  • Flights - sort through airline providers to find the cheapest airfare
  • Cruises - reserve cruise accommodations online

Sorting Tool

With hundreds, if not thousands, of applicable results in any given search, AAA Travel has created a helpful sorting tool to cut down on research time. Travelers can filter to find what they need and want for their next vacation and make sure it works with their schedule and financial needs.

Travel Insurance

For travelers that cannot guarantee to be able to take part in every aspect of their trip, travel insurance can provide users with the peace of mind they need while booking. Another plus travelers receive by booking trips with AAA Travel is AAA's travel protection plan. Customers of AAA Travel will receive several benefits including:

• Breakdown service - Miles of free towing
  • On the road assistance - Emergency fuel and delivery
  • Regards plan - Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Membership
  • Assist in booking - Travel consultants
  • Refunds - Lost Baggage coverage

Rewards Program

In addition to being able to earn refunds or protect travel, travelers who use AAA Travel will be able to use the AAA credit card to take advantage of AAA Travel's rewards program. This rewards program allows users to earn points that can be redeemed for a number of items, and there are no annual or foreign transaction fees. AAA Travel credit card users earn WorldPoints Rewards

• WorldPoints Rewards can be redeemed for:
    • Cash
    • Travel
    • Merchandise
    • Fraud protection
    • Online access to account information
    • Supplemental auto rental collision damage deductible insurance
    • Earn one percent cash back on all net retail purchases
    • Member redemption is "On Demand" allowing members to request a cash back check in $25 increments
    • When members spend $2,500, they will be eligible to redeem $25AAA Cash Rewards Credit Card

Mobile App

For travelers that are on the move, finding access to a laptop or desktop can prove to be difficult. AAA Travel also has a mobile app available for Apple and Android users. Travelers will be able to access maps and exclusive mobile discounts. If something happens while they are traveling in their car or a rental, they will be able to take advantage of roadside assistance.

There is also the Passbook feature to manage all travel. The design of the mobile app was created to make it as easy as possible for customers find AAA Approved and Diamond Rated hotels, restaurants and attractions. The mobile app also gives customers the ability to create and share itineraries between desktop and mobile devices.

Even though AAA is known for their roadside assistance, their travel branch has grown significantly through their social media approach. This is particularly helpful for travelers who prefer receiving updates from sources other than email or regularly visiting AAA Travel's website. For example, its YouTube channel gives customers everything from a behind-the-scenes look at hotel inspections to a quick Memorial Day travel forecast. Users can ask questions or receive help through any of their social media platforms, including: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.

For users traveling with kids, there is a feature that can provide additional savings and maximize leisure for the whole crew. Customers who choose AAA Travel will also be able to take advantage of AAA's Disney Alliance. By choosing AAA Travel, customers will be able to use benefits, services and vacation packages for Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Disney Cruise Line, and Adventures by Disney.

The Bad

• Members-Only Features
  • Fine Print

Members-Only Features

AAA Travel cannot be used by just anyone. While AAA Travel has a variety of services and deals for travelers, it is not a recommended choice for customers who use a different insurance service. Deals and travel protection are only for current members of AAA.

To join, customers must switch their vehicle insurance coverage and pay the following annual dues which vary from club to club. The new primary member will need to pay anywhere from $48-$96 and a new associate member will be charged anywhere from $21-$51.

AAA Members do not just get to take advantage of their car services. Travelers who are not already customers of AAA who want the detailed travel protection will need to pay the fees and take care of the related paperwork. If travelers do not become members of AAA, they will have coverage for the following (this list is not comprehensive):

• Miles of free towing
  • Emergency fuel and delivery
  • Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Membership
  • Travel consultants
  • Lost Baggage coverage

Fine Print

Customers need to be aware of the fine print attached to AAA Travel's service such as travel protection. For example, AAA membership insurance promises do not apply to electric vehicles. AAA Travel's services and deals are limited compared to its competitors since much of its business comes from its insurance sales.

Customers in search of a wide variety of cruise specials and vacation packages will most likely end up needing to contact a AAA Travel agent for more information since the website does not go into much detail about its deals.

The Bottom Line

The AAA Travel agency is probably best used by current AAA members. Otherwise, travelers will need to purchase a membership which may act as duplicate and unnecessary insurance. The online business has a simple approach when it comes to booking hotels, cars, flights and cruises which can be helpful to travelers who prefer a straight-forward approach to online travel booking. Those interested in using AAA for their travel booking needs can expect the following from the platform:

1. Complete travel management
  2. Rewards Program
  3. Limited Travel Insurance
  4. Disney Connections
  5. Cost for membership

View Best Travel Sites

2.2

Lynda Hart Bradenton, FL

I just visited a AAA travel office. There was no one at the front desk, and since none of the people at their desks acknowledged me, I decided to have a seat in the waiting area. Finally, I decided to approach an agent who told me they were very busy and I would have to make an appointment with someone on the other side of the office. When I explained no one was there, she impatiently got up from her desk and when she didn't see anyone, see stopped at a desk of an agent with and "In Training" sign on her desk. She asked her if she could help me, and she got the ugliest look on her face, so I let them know I was sorry I bothered them and walked out, as they were saying they no no we can help you. Needless to say, I wont be back.

Heather Antetomaso Worcester, MA

We love AAA travel we always go thru Penny she is absolutely amazing very patient, accommodating, explains everything and works with different sites to get you the best deal. We have booked many trips and never a disappointment.

William Cuervo Elizabeth, NJ

AAA Travel gave a certain hotel a 5 Star 3 Diamond review. The hotel was more like 1 Star. Dirty, out of date with criminal activity inside and outside. Police activity going on...

jacob natsheh Elmhurst, IL

I booked a hotel through AAA travel and the hotel was not as described, i paid more for a better room with good scenery facing the sea, and when I reached the hotel, they gave me a room facing Walmart !!! not the sea. When i talked with the hotel receptionist, they say I should consult the agency that I booked through. I tried to contact AAA customer service many times and there was no answer, i even sent emails and they never replied back. Horrible customer service and i won't recommend booking through them, you won't even find a really good deal for AA memebers

Elena Margaritis Benson, AZ

Made reservation online, but needed to change the check in date. I called and spoke to 2 customer services reps, asked for an email confirmation. Two days later NOTHING! So I cancelled the reservation myself and will NEVER use them again for travel. AARP is WAY better! Don't call either, the hold music is ridiculously loud and distorted, who could sit an listen to that for more than 2 minutes? HORRIBLE!!!

jenny buford Tulsa, OK

I have used AAA for cruise vacations from the start, each time dealing with a little oversights by the agent and having to tweak somethings. however this time, agent prematurely cancelled my cruise because of the pandemic and AAA acts like they can't do anything to get my money back, and the cruise line says it can't refund me because cancellation was through AAA. I wont use them again, as said it is best to book yourself at least if you goof up its on you and not what was supposed to be "a professional."

Judy Curtis Whitinsville, MA

I upgraded with AAA & for the first time went on their website to book a hotel room for my son's upcoming graduation in Vermont. I did not receive my discount & when I contacted AAA travel, they referred my to their partner, Booking.com, who referred me back to AAA & so on like a ping pong ball game. Neither company took stepped up to help me & just wanted me off the phone. Also booking.com has a "non-refundable" policy: you CAN cancel but you WILL NOT be getting your money back. The hotel told me, I should have just called them directly, & they would have applied the discount, but I thought since I was on the AAA website, I was all set. Not so, $514. in the hole & commencement is cancelled due to the Coronavirus. Thank you AAA!!

Mark white Prescott, AZ

Have been a AAA member for years and have never been disappointed, until now. Booked all of our reservations through AAA and their travel partner NCNU for our 7000 mile road trip. The first night the hotel booked was closed with a sign on the door. Called AAA, they said to find another room and they would pay the difference. Sounded great. Searched for an hour and found a room for about $40 more. Got home and followed all of their instructions for submitting the bill for reimbursement. Still a month later they are making demands for a different receipt from The Econo Lodge. I don’t have time for this and will never use their services again for travel booking! They really screwed up by not notifying me of a fire at the hotel. The hotel tried to contact me thru them and were told they could not find my reservation. Bye bye AAA.

Michael Thompson Georgetown, KY

When booking with the agent I felt like she was not listening to what we wanted. And apparently she wasn’t. We booked a vacation to Hawaii. We asked for a two bedroom condo with ocean view. We got a two bedroom condo with resort view. We actually changed resorts and paid an extra $3000 to get the ocean view and still ended up next to public beach access with only the view of another building and parking lot. After she she tried twice to put me in a one bedroom with a sleeper sofa!! I will NEVER us AAA again. Bad experience booking and not even worth it because it cost more and still didn’t get what we asked for.

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

My mother-in-law has booked several trips for my wife and me through AAA and we always get great rates on rooms. Sometimes we get get luxurious rooms that we typically can't afford just on our own.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

As a member of AAA I have tried to use their travel site but have never found their pricing on airfare to be any lower than I could get thru other sites or directly from the provider. I am happy with their customer service and how they try to be helpful so I will continue to approach them when I have major travel needs.

Rick Branton Somerdale, NJ

I booked air and hertz and had to cancel. AAA ripped me off for $50 on the Hertz cancelation, claiming it was a Hertz fee, but I go to the Hertz website and they say they don't have a cancelation fee. Do NOT book rental cars thru AAA. If I had booked it directly from Hertz, then I would have gotten a full refund.

norma mclaughlin Mechanicsville, VA

So far, there nothing I like about AAA Very disappointed in the way the AAA agent handled my air booking and I am presently waiting to hear back from AAA on how they intend to make this right. I will not go away until this problem is resolved.

Edward Young

It has always been more than positive. They are always very helpful and reliable and affordable so I renew annually with them.

Amanda Montebello, CA

AAA has helped me plan a lot of my travel and especially with packages. I am pleased with my experiences.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

We booked a disneyland trip through this site. It was a great price and the trip went very smoothly and we had a great time.