Geek Squad Logo

6.1

LAST UPDATED: May 16th, 2022
Geek Squad is a tech support subsidiary owned by the American consumer electronics company Best Buy. The service was originally set up to only provide assistance with computer-related issues, but has since grown to support all types of consumer electronics from cell phones to camcorders. Geek Squad provides tech support in-store (Best Buy locations), on-site, and over the Internet, while also offering 24-hour telephone support. Geek Squad offers tech support services at competitive prices, but its standard plan only supports up to three devices.

The Good

• Low monthly price
  • Variety of device coverage
  • Multiple support options
  • Data recovery services offered

Low Monthly Price

Geek Squad offers some of the lowest prices in the tech support business, with basic tech support services starting at $9.99 per month. This price point is less than half of what other companies charge for tech support, and comes with a full suite of service features, including premium internet security software at no extra charge, virus removal, and 24/7 support.

Variety of Device Coverage

In addition to computers and tablets, Geek Squad supports the following consumer electronics:
  • Appliances
  • TVs & Home Theater
  • Video Gaming
  • Wearable Technology

Multiple Support Options

Geek Squad customers have multiple channels through which to access tech support. They can schedule a time to visit a Geek Squad "precinct" at any Best Buy location throughout the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Netherlands. Geek Squad precincts can also be found at select FedEx Office locations. If you have a device that is difficult to remove from your home (e.g., a desktop computer), Geek Squad representatives will come to you and fix your device on-site. Customers may also receive support remotely through their Internet connection, or chat with an agent over the phone.

Data Recovery Services Offered

Geek Squad is one of the few tech support services we've reviewed that offers data recovery services, meaning if your device's drive has been reformatted, its files deleted, overwritten, or corrupted in anyway, or if the device itself has been damaged, Geek Squad will employ every available resource to ensure that your photos, documents, and music are recovered.

The Bad

• Limited device support
  • Brand exclusions on some offers
  • Expensive data recovery
  • Missing service features

Limited Device Support

While Geek Squad does offer exception services, its tech support plan only covers up to three devices. What more, tech support protection cannot be transferred to other devices, meaning you'll have to pay extra for more than three devices.

Brand Exclusions on Some Offers

Geek Squad offers a $100 discount on its one-, two-, or three-year plans when you buy a laptop, desktop, or tablet; however, this deal excludes Apple products and packages.

Expensive Data Recovery

Very few companies offer true data recovery, in part because of the resources it requires. Consequently, Geek Squad's data recovery services are very expensive. In addition to a $49.99 in-store diagnostic fee-where an agent will survey the level of data recovery that is required-customers will also have to pay one of the following fees for data recovery:

Level 1: $200

Handled in-store, covers data accidentally deleted from a working drive, or data that was lost due to the drive being reformatted

Level 2: $450

Handled at Geek Squad City, covers file system corruption, or files that were deleted/overwritten

Level 2 Advanced: $550

Handled at Geek Squad City, covers more severe file system issues, or light hardware/mechanical issues with the device itself

Level 3: $1,450

Handled at Geek Squad City, covers the most severe file system and software issues, as well as failed or damaged hard drives

Missing Service Features

Geek Squad does not offer a free trial with its services, but rather charges $99.99 for a one-time fix. Additionally, Geek Squad does not offer its services to businesses, small or large, but provides exclusive service to individual consumers.

The Bottom Line

Geek Squad has earned our top spot because it offers a full array of tech support services on a wide range of devices for a reasonable fee of $9.99 per month. We also like that the service is willing to send agents directly to customer homes in the event of a tech support emergency; however, Geek Squad places strict limitations on the number of devices included on a single plan, and its data recovery option can be pricey in some cases. That being said, we can with confidence recommend Geek Squad to anyone seeking affordable, yet comprehensive tech support services.

4.1

Anthony Leone Falls Church, VA

I dropped my Surface tablet and the screen was damaged. I decided that I would bring the surface tablet to Best buy and have them replace the screen. I spoke with a member of Geek Squad to find out how much it would cost. He gave me the price ( which I considered reasonable) and told me to drop off the Tablet at Best Buy. So I drove 20 min to Best Buy to drop it off. When I arrived I was greeted at the door. I explained that I needed to drop off my Surface Tablet. The Gentleman then asked if I had an appointment. I said that I did not. He then said that I needed to make an appointment. I explained to him that I had spoken with a Geek Squad representative, and was told to drop off the table at any Best Buy. I was never told that I needed to make an appointment. He said that it was out of his hands. That there call center had dropped the ball. I have been in field service for Forty years. First it was very unprofessional for the Gentleman at the door to say that the call center dropped the ball. Geek squad is a part of Best Buy, the man at the door was putting down a part of his company. The way that I would have handled the situation if I was in his shoes. First I would apologized for the misunderstanding. And explained to the customer that in the future they would need to make an appointment. I then would help the customer. I would not let a dissatisfied customer walk out the door. I was told by a manager that it cost a dollar to get a customer into the door, and $10 to get a dissatisfied customer to return. In my case I will never do business with Best Buy again.

Jaelyn Morris Tallahassee, FL

Geek Squad has great coverage on electronics. When I cracked my phone screen, Geek Squad was able to fix it for a low price since I had coverage through them. I get Geek Squad protection plans for all electronics I get.

I Alamgirian Woodbridge, NJ

When you buy any item transaction goes smooth even pay for extended warranty but when it comes to getting help fixing you'll never get help. They will throw you around to different people still problem won't be solved.

Jaci Rhoades Bryant, AR

I can't tell you how many times I've had to call geek squad. Every time they're able to walk me through my issues. They make it very easy during a stressful time for me.

Jennifer Tallahassee, FL

They were able to fix my computer quickly the first time I took it. Recently though it’s hard to get an appointment because of being short staffed. Price is okay, especially if you are able to use it again during the year.

Deanna Fulton Chandler, AZ

before today I would have given you a 5 but after my experience today you have a 2 I talked with 3 agents actually 4. the first one said she would connect me to an agent and they would connect to my Computer to help me then she disappeared and I was left with no help , so I got on line again, the second one did get me to help and that agent said she fixed the problem and she printed something, I said shouldn't I try to print something she said no it would work just fine. Well it did not print when I tried from my computer. So I called again, 4th agent talked to me for over 30 minutes that's wrong she did not talk she kept me waiting for 15 minutes , the longest and most of the time 3 to 4 minutes while she said she was checking over my account. I finally asked her to please just connect me to an agent that would control my computer and fix the problem. I never heard from her again so I hung up. I then called Canon and their service department helped in in about 10 minutes total. So, I never had this problem before until the Geek squad started new hires. Now it is almost impossible to understand the agents because their accent is so heavy. It wouldn't bother me at all who I was talking to if I could understand them. But when they are giving one instructions one should be able to understand what they are saying. And if they can't help like the 4th agent they should say so and turn the client over to someone else. She just left me hanging.

Claudine Doyle CA

Love the geek squad!!! I try to buy all of my appliances from Bestbuy because the geek squad and total tech support is top notch!!! They’ve been great with my computers, laptops, fridges etc. Highly recommend.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

I've had to use Geek Squad a few times this last year when I broke my Iphone Screen. They were quick and an easy alternative to using the Apple store as they were located in our nearest Best Buy.

J B Sandy, UT

These fine techs have saved my computer on more than one occasion! I recommend them for hard drive recovery when the basics fail you on your own. They have the tools to get your data back!

Connor Smith Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have used Geek Squad a few times. I have a business and you can call 24/7 if there is a problem to get it fixed. Also good to drop computer off to have it repaired. The are quick to help

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Geek Squad helped me set up my computer when I first got it for college. They also helped me when I got my computer hacked and made sure that I had protective firewalls to keep it from happening again. Geek squad is very convenient and affordable to do the services that they do!

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I used Geek squad when my computer stopped working, they were great and fixed it like Briana new! There was a virus that they were able to remove.

emblair Herriman, UT

My computer crashed with all the photos from the first few years of my daughter's life. Geek Squad saved me with a recovery of so many irreplaceable memories. Thank you!

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

I visited Geek Squad in BestBuy. They refused to look at my device without an appointment even though their section was not busy. I was forced to come back an hour later. Unfortunately, the workers treated me like a child and asked basic questions like "did you try the power button?" Turns out there was a battery issue, but the workers made me feel like I didn't know how to use a phone.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Geek Squad is such a valuable service that I use it often. Many times a tech problem may be complex to the layman, but easy for the Geek Squad to find. They are experienced experts at install of equipment as well. They are trusted and very knowledgable.

Sharae Milwaukee, WI

I would like to thank Agent LaMarcus S for a doing a marvelous job on helping me with my new laptop! His personality and customer service skills speaks for itself. He is by far my favorite person on the Geek Squad! Anyone that needs help with tech support at Best Buy on Mayfair Road, please go see him!

Hunter Kasprzyk Gilbert, AZ

I have used Geek Squad multiple times because they are close to me and they have never let me down. One time they took much longer than what was originally planned but I'm sure this was unavoidable and at the end of the day they did their job.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

I would highly recommend Geek Squad, I was having some computer issues and he was able to fix the problem very quickly. He was so professional and an extremely nice guy. Very trustworthy. I am so happy now to have my problem fixed.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I wanted to get a new backup camera installed on my car, after looking at Amazon I was recommended to try the Geek Squad. I talked to Joseph and he told me to come to the store so they could install it there. It only took 3 minutes and I am very pleased with the help I was given. 5 stars. AMAZING customer service.

Jared Provo, UT

Geek Squad has helped me several times in the past. They always take time to listen to my issue and explain it to me simply. They are transparent with their services. One of the things that sold me on them was when a Geek Squad member told me how much they could provide a service for and and told me of an alternative way I could do it myself that was less expensive. I will go to them in the future when I need to!

Mildred Carter Woodbridge, VA

I was very fortunate to have a warranty on 2 of my computers. The first one, the backspace key of all things came off on a laptop. They had to send it out to replace the keyboard but it was a pretty painless process. For my desktop, the hard drive and the motherboard both went out at the same time. They replaced both and even upgraded my operating system to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8) as part of the process in getting everything up and running.

Bianca Chipley, FL

I always choose Geek Squad when I need help fixing ym devices, they worked wonders on my MacBook from the 2000's!

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Super helpful and worth the price. Won't charge you for simple problems that they can easily fix. Great customer service.

North Florida Wildliife Center Tallahassee, FL

Always very helpful, loved that I could get their protection with my best buy products and they make house calls! So awesome.

Eliana Randall Sandy, UT

I went to Geek Squad for help with my AirPods. When they weren’t able to fix the problem they honored the warranty and ordered me knew AirPods.

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

The geek squad saved my blue screen laptop. I had some really important school on there when the blue screen popped up. They helped get my laptop back to functioning shape for a decent price and a timely manner

Valerie Gundersen American Fork, UT

Geek Squad has always been able to help me with my laptop issues! I would recommend Geek Quad service to anyone with a computer. Their service helps to keep a computer running smoothly!

Laurie Keister Saint Paul, MN

Great job in setting up my computer!!!!!

Victoria Hahn MN

They helped me fix my laptop overnight and I was in dire need of it the next day! Geek squad can fix any electronic!

Jordan Bell Orem, UT

Geek Squad is very good at what they do. They helped me troubleshoot issues with my computer and getting back to me as quickly as possible.

Sierra Nixon Tallahassee, FL

Geek Squad is extremely helpful for minor technical difficulties. However, for major things (i.e. needing a new battery for laptop), this isn't the place to go.

Vida Henry-Gooch New Orleans, LA

Huge Ripoff! Iffy for computers, worthless for appliances. First of all, they catch an attitude when they find out it is not for computers I paid for installation, even though it is simple because I'm an old woman and handicapped in my brain and entire right side by a texting drunk driver. The first time they came, they didn't have the hoses for the washer or dryer. They didn't take out the pieces installed to keep the drums immobile in transit, despite many calls that suggested stupid things from matchbooks to putting in new flooring, the machines and mounts tore themselves up, scratched and dented the walls, and nearly shook the house down. Finally the guy who came with the proper hoses figured out the problem, they brought me new machines and mounts and they hooked up the wrong dryer hose, which promptly fell off. Finally I got the right dryer hose but they didn't clamp it to the machine, even though they did clamp it in 2 other places, so the hose falls off. Now they say it took me too long to discover (just >90 days when they say coverage is for a year--never mind I couldn't get through "due to COVID-19"). The people they sent out were not professionals. It was more like paw-paw bringing all the grandchildren, wife, etc., so some of them could learn the trade. Do that at home! I don't need unnecessary people crowding up my house, distracting the worker, arguing, wearing their pants below their butts, etc., but I DO need the thing hooked up right, as I paid for in the first place and I'm NOT paying them again to maybe or maybe not to it right.

Rhonda Brewer St. John's, NL

My issue isn't with Best Buy. It is with Geek Squad. They do not explain anything to you from day one. I brought my computer to them in Dec to fix, and all they did was charge me over $300 to fix an issue they didn't fix and said I my hard drive was gone, which it was not, I brought to another repair place who was able to repair my issue and retrieve all the data Geek Squad told me was gone. I called them to complain, and all they did was offer me a $20 refund for my issue. Also, with the $300 they charged me, they signed me up for a program they told me would make the repairs cheaper, it didn't, and they continue to withdraw $22.99 from my account. I called twice to have to stopped and went to the store twice and told they would fix the issue. When I spoke to this person today, she told me if I cancel, I would be charged a fee of over $200, which I was not EVER told about. Don't care what the notes say. Not to worry, though, I have called a lawyer and will be discussing my legal options for a small claims suit. I have also put a stop payment alert on my account for anything being requested by Geek Squad. I would NEVER recommend these thieves to anyone. I will also not buying any more warranty from Best buy if I have to deal with Geek Squad. They are nothing but a bunch of thieves.

TucsonKaren Tucson, AZ

DON'T TAKE YOUR MAC FOR HARDWARE ISSUES! I was having an intermittent issue with my battery not charging on my MacBook Air. And it died early yesterday afternoon. Went on the Geek Squad web site to schedule an appointment. I answered it is a MAC, I did have hardware problems and my battery would not charge. Could not get in until 8:00 that night. So I went in and the tech took one of their cords, plugged it in and it did not work. So she told me that they would have to ship to KY (they do NO Mac hardware work locally - Tucson, AZ) for diagnosis. That would take a week and I could hope to get it back in 2 weeks! WHAT???? So I went to an authorized Apple service center. Turns out there was a small spec of paint (I am an artist) stuck in the charger port. 2 minutes and $30 later my Mac is completely healed.

Tim

Avoid at all costs. It’s not worth it. Horrible customer service that are more interested in upselling you services rather than rectifying the issue with the phone you might have. Beyond the terrible customer service, you have to make a claim online and mail your phone in to get it fixed (even for something as simple as a screen replacement) which is not a quick turn around. The geek squad counters in the best buys stores are for show only. A claim under the accidental damage protection plan is a $200 deductible. So a broken screen is not worth making a claim for not only because it’s more expensive than taking it to a screen repair kiosk, but because you’ll be without a phone for 4-6 weeks. They do offer an alternative where they will send you a replacement phone if you put down a deposit worth the value of a new phone. But the fine print will tell you that if your broken phone isn’t mailed to them within 30 days, then you keep the phone they sent you and forfeit the deposit. This would be fair if they actually sent you a brand new phone. Instead they send you other lemons people previously sent in, that will have some other sort of problem. All that I have to show for after paying $200 for monthly dues, a $200 deductible, and $1000 is a lemon of a phone from them. Tried calling them to rectify this and was shut down as they referred me to the ‘fine print’. They’re business model relies on customer ignorance, so buyer beware.Avoid at all costs. It’s not worth it. Horrible customer service that are more interested in upselling you services rather than rectifying the issue with the phone you might have. Beyond the terrible customer service, you have to make a claim online and mail your phone in to get it fixed (even for something as simple as a screen replacement) which is not a quick turn around. The geek squad counters in the best buys stores are for show only. A claim under the accidental damage protection plan is a $200 deductible. So a broken screen is not worth making a claim for not only because it’s more expensive than taking it to a screen repair kiosk, but because you’ll be without a phone for 4-6 weeks. They do offer an alternative where they will send you a replacement phone if you put down a deposit worth the value of a new phone. But the fine print will tell you that if your broken phone isn’t mailed to them within 30 days, then you keep the phone they sent you and forfeit the deposit. This would be fair if they actually sent you a brand new phone. Instead they send you other lemons people previously sent in, that will have some other sort of problem. All that I have to show for after paying $200 for monthly dues, a $200 deductible, and $1000 is a lemon of a phone from them. Tried calling them to rectify this and was shut down as they referred me to the ‘fine print’. They’re business model relies on customer ignorance and slight of hand sales tactics, so make sure to do your homework if considering them.

Joseph l Watson Statesville, NC

had computer that needed checked out, was heading to Mooresville NC to get a new phone for grandson at Best Buy so I brought it along, was nobody and line and they were just standing around, went to counter, told them what I need and he entered in computer, told him no hurry, he said our next appointment is at 2:40, this was 11:00. I said [email protected]!!!! I need a frigging appointment just to drop it off and he said yes, I then proceeded to tell him what I thought of his appointment , him and the Geek Squad!!! customer service is non existing at that place, Best Buy lost a sale that day and I told them that too, would not recommend them to anybody that wants to be treated descent

D Vasquez

HP laptop got a virus. Tech remoted into computer to repair. He stated it would take about 1/2 hour. When he was completed, he called to say we needed to reboot the computer because he couldn't do it remotely. When computer was rebooted it was froze. Called Geek Squad back and they stated we would have to take it in the Best Buy. Took the computer in and they stated it would cost $49.99 to check it out. Geek Squad called next day to say the hard drive was bad. They could back up everything for another $100. They then put another hard drive in for even more $$$. 6 weeks later called Geek Squad back to find out where certain files were that they had downloaded from the saved hard drive. All of a sudden they stated the computer had a trojan virus. Never was told where these files where at while talking to them. Was then transferred to a tech (lady) who was obviously from another country. She stated that the virus was caused through our network and that it may have spread to all our home devices. She stated they could repair our computer (which we didn't even see any problems with) and offered us some sort of software security to protect all our computers, phones, IPads, for a mere $350 for 3 yrs, 5 yr for $549 or $700 for a lifetime. But the 3 yr. $350 wouldn't guarantee any new devices, only the ones we already have. We asked what about anyone that had used our network, she stated that there devices would be fine (really, how can theirs be fine but ours are not). We informed her that why was this not found when they had our computer 6 weeks prior when we paid them over $250. She stated that it might have happened after we got it back (Might have happened after we got it back) . We told her that we were going to wait on purchasing this and she transferred us to someone else that was still remoted in our computer (different person than we were originally speaking to that had remoted into the computer) the new person was also foreign, hmmm how did that happen. My husband asked him if he could log out of the computer now and he stated very rudely "I'm still logging out". I guess they didn't get all that commission they thought they were going to get, so now they can be rude. Never did find how to get those files back on our computer. Well Geek squad support will be canceled today. We are not going to pay a company every month for support that does nothing but drain you of more money.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I have only used the Geek Squad at Best Buy once and my experience was subpar. They were unable to fix my computer, but customer service was great. I am sure if I had a different issue my experience would have been much better.

Mia Hernandez Tempe, AZ

ive called into best buy for technical support and was transferred to there geek squad im going to be honest im NOT at all tech savvy and this guy was asking me questions that i honestly didnt know how to answer and the way he responded came off really rude and he kind of made me feel as if i was uneducated so i hung up and just went into the store and let me tell you in- store service was a WAY better experience

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

When shopping around for computer repair the customer service at Geek squad was very helpful in that they suggested some possible problems, ultimately went with micro center though due to pricing.

amari sims Windermere, FL

Geek squad has been super helpful with troubleshooting my electronic devices and fixing the screen on my MacBook Pro.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Geek Support is a nightmare because you have to pay them a lot of money before they will actually help you online. When you go in the store, they often lie to you, saying that your laptop is still under warranty to be fixed. Then they wait a week and call you to tell you that it's not under warranty and that it'll cost a lot of money to get it fixed. They can rarely fix things in house, they usually have to ship stuff out to be fixed and that can take a very long time.

Charlie Serf Burnaby, BC

Very unprofessional behavior I needed a technician to set up a complex entertainment system for me - voice control, streaming from my cell phone and other advanced setups. I sent a email to Geek Squad and never received a reply. A week later I went to one of the stores, talked to a technician. He said he would pass it to a consultant and call me back. I waited for another week and they never called back. If they feel that they do not want to offer this service all they have to do is say so, and the customer won't be waiting and waste 2 weeks' time. A papa & mama corner store can do better.

Lindsey American Fork, UT

Geek Squad is great if you need something fixed with anything you bought at Best Buy. They're smart people, but somewhat lack in the people skills department.

Hellen Thomson Manchester, CT

I signed up for GS 24/7 Tech Support because it was cheap ($100 year). Learned the hard way you get what you pay for. Nearly every time I contacted them with problems, they would take up to 12 hours NOT TO FIX THEM !!! Plus, almost always left my PC with additional problems. Avoid like the plague. Wait for Amazon's service to get up & running...

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

Geek Squad is my favorite place to go with electronic issues. The staff is always extremely friendly and always does a good job solving my electronic issues

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

Geek Squads customer service is so nice and help me with all my questions. I'm not the smartest when it comes to computer but they were patient with me and it was a easy fix

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Love Geek Squad and their response time. Have had stuff repaired and upgraded and they have been great to work with and great customer service at a good price

Fernando Delgado Tempe, AZ

I used Geek Squad at Best Buy to fix my laptop and they did a great job and got it back to work like it new. I would used the service again if needed to.

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

Provided helpful instructions for our computer.