Geek Squad is a tech support subsidiary owned by the American consumer electronics company Best Buy. The service was originally set up to only provide assistance with computer-related issues, but has since grown to support all types of consumer electronics from cell phones to camcorders. Geek Squad provides tech support in-store (Best Buy locations), on-site, and over the Internet, while also offering 24-hour telephone support. Geek Squad offers tech support services at competitive prices, but its standard plan only supports up to three devices.

My Phone Support chevron_right
4.9
OneSupport chevron_right
3.1

The Good

• Low monthly price
  • Variety of device coverage
  • Multiple support options
  • Data recovery services offered

Low Monthly Price

Geek Squad offers some of the lowest prices in the tech support business, with basic tech support services starting at $9.99 per month. This price point is less than half of what other companies charge for tech support, and comes with a full suite of service features, including premium internet security software at no extra charge, virus removal, and 24/7 support.

Variety of Device Coverage

In addition to computers and tablets, Geek Squad supports the following consumer electronics:

• Appliances
  • TVs & Home Theater
  • Video Gaming
  • Wearable Technology

Multiple Support Options

Geek Squad customers have multiple channels through which to access tech support. They can schedule a time to visit a Geek Squad "precinct" at any Best Buy location throughout the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Netherlands. Geek Squad precincts can also be found at select FedEx Office locations. If you have a device that is difficult to remove from your home (e.g., a desktop computer), Geek Squad representatives will come to you and fix your device on-site. Customers may also receive support remotely through their Internet connection, or chat with an agent over the phone.

Data Recovery Services Offered

Geek Squad is one of the few tech support services we've reviewed that offers data recovery services, meaning if your device's drive has been reformatted, its files deleted, overwritten, or corrupted in anyway, or if the device itself has been damaged, Geek Squad will employ every available resource to ensure that your photos, documents, and music are recovered.

The Bad

• Limited device support
  • Brand exclusions on some offers
  • Expensive data recovery
  • Missing service features

Limited Device Support

While Geek Squad does offer exception services, its tech support plan only covers up to three devices. What more, tech support protection cannot be transferred to other devices, meaning you'll have to pay extra for more than three devices.

Brand Exclusions on Some Offers

Geek Squad offers a $100 discount on its one-, two-, or three-year plans when you buy a laptop, desktop, or tablet; however, this deal excludes Apple products and packages.

Expensive Data Recovery

Very few companies offer true data recovery, in part because of the resources it requires. Consequently, Geek Squad's data recovery services are very expensive. In addition to a $49.99 in-store diagnostic fee-where an agent will survey the level of data recovery that is required-customers will also have to pay one of the following fees for data recovery:

Level 1: $200

Handled in-store, covers data accidentally deleted from a working drive, or data that was lost due to the drive being reformatted

Level 2: $450

Handled at Geek Squad City, covers file system corruption, or files that were deleted/overwritten

Level 2 Advanced: $550

Handled at Geek Squad City, covers more severe file system issues, or light hardware/mechanical issues with the device itself

Level 3: $1,450

Handled at Geek Squad City, covers the most severe file system and software issues, as well as failed or damaged hard drives

Missing Service Features

Geek Squad does not offer a free trial with its services, but rather charges $99.99 for a one-time fix. Additionally, Geek Squad does not offer its services to businesses, small or large, but provides exclusive service to individual consumers.

The Bottom Line

Geek Squad has earned our top spot because it offers a full array of tech support services on a wide range of devices for a reasonable fee of $9.99 per month. We also like that the service is willing to send agents directly to customer homes in the event of a tech support emergency; however, Geek Squad places strict limitations on the number of devices included on a single plan, and its data recovery option can be pricey in some cases. That being said, we can with confidence recommend Geek Squad to anyone seeking affordable, yet comprehensive tech support services.

3.4

Sharae
November 5th, 2019 Milwaukee, WI

I would like to thank Agent LaMarcus S for a doing a marvelous job on helping me with my new laptop! His personality and customer service skills speaks for itself. He is by far my favorite person on the Geek Squad! Anyone that needs help with tech support at Best Buy on Mayfair Road, please go see him!

TucsonKaren
July 29th, 2019 Tucson, AZ

DON'T TAKE YOUR MAC FOR HARDWARE ISSUES! I was having an intermittent issue with my battery not charging on my MacBook Air. And it died early yesterday afternoon. Went on the Geek Squad web site to schedule an appointment. I answered it is a MAC, I did have hardware problems and my battery would not charge. Could not get in until 8:00 that night. So I went in and the tech took one of their cords, plugged it in and it did not work. So she told me that they would have to ship to KY (they do NO Mac hardware work locally - Tucson, AZ) for diagnosis. That would take a week and I could hope to get it back in 2 weeks! WHAT???? So I went to an authorized Apple service center. Turns out there was a small spec of paint (I am an artist) stuck in the charger port. 2 minutes and $30 later my Mac is completely healed.

Tim
July 16th, 2019 DETAILS

Avoid at all costs. It’s not worth it. Horrible customer service that are more interested in upselling you services rather than rectifying the issue with the phone you might have. Beyond the terrible customer service, you have to make a claim online and mail your phone in to get it fixed (even for something as simple as a screen replacement) which is not a quick turn around. The geek squad counters in the best buys stores are for show only. A claim under the accidental damage protection plan is a $200 deductible. So a broken screen is not worth making a claim for not only because it’s more expensive than taking it to a screen repair kiosk, but because you’ll be without a phone for 4-6 weeks. They do offer an alternative where they will send you a replacement phone if you put down a deposit worth the value of a new phone. But the fine print will tell you that if your broken phone isn’t mailed to them within 30 days, then you keep the phone they sent you and forfeit the deposit. This would be fair if they actually sent you a brand new phone. Instead they send you other lemons people previously sent in, that will have some other sort of problem. All that I have to show for after paying $200 for monthly dues, a $200 deductible, and $1000 is a lemon of a phone from them. Tried calling them to rectify this and was shut down as they referred me to the ‘fine print’. They’re business model relies on customer ignorance, so buyer beware.Avoid at all costs. It’s not worth it. Horrible customer service that are more interested in upselling you services rather than rectifying the issue with the phone you might have. Beyond the terrible customer service, you have to make a claim online and mail your phone in to get it fixed (even for something as simple as a screen replacement) which is not a quick turn around. The geek squad counters in the best buys stores are for show only. A claim under the accidental damage protection plan is a $200 deductible. So a broken screen is not worth making a claim for not only because it’s more expensive than taking it to a screen repair kiosk, but because you’ll be without a phone for 4-6 weeks. They do offer an alternative where they will send you a replacement phone if you put down a deposit worth the value of a new phone. But the fine print will tell you that if your broken phone isn’t mailed to them within 30 days, then you keep the phone they sent you and forfeit the deposit. This would be fair if they actually sent you a brand new phone. Instead they send you other lemons people previously sent in, that will have some other sort of problem. All that I have to show for after paying $200 for monthly dues, a $200 deductible, and $1000 is a lemon of a phone from them. Tried calling them to rectify this and was shut down as they referred me to the ‘fine print’. They’re business model relies on customer ignorance and slight of hand sales tactics, so make sure to do your homework if considering them.

Joseph l Watson
July 8th, 2019 Statesville, NC DETAILS

had computer that needed checked out, was heading to Mooresville NC to get a new phone for grandson at Best Buy so I brought it along, was nobody and line and they were just standing around, went to counter, told them what I need and he entered in computer, told him no hurry, he said our next appointment is at 2:40, this was 11:00. I said [email protected]!!!! I need a frigging appointment just to drop it off and he said yes, I then proceeded to tell him what I thought of his appointment , him and the Geek Squad!!! customer service is non existing at that place, Best Buy lost a sale that day and I told them that too, would not recommend them to anybody that wants to be treated descent

Mia Hernandez
December 14th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

ive called into best buy for technical support and was transferred to there geek squad im going to be honest im NOT at all tech savvy and this guy was asking me questions that i honestly didnt know how to answer and the way he responded came off really rude and he kind of made me feel as if i was uneducated so i hung up and just went into the store and let me tell you in- store service was a WAY better experience

Darius Williams
December 12th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

have had to use this service once when i bough my laptop from best buy. The service was very professional

Mildred Carter
December 10th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

I was very fortunate to have a warranty on 2 of my computers. The first one, the backspace key of all things came off on a laptop. They had to send it out to replace the keyboard but it was a pretty painless process. For my desktop, the hard drive and the motherboard both went out at the same time. They replaced both and even upgraded my operating system to Windows 8.1 (from Windows 8) as part of the process in getting everything up and running.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 6th, 2018 Herndon, VA

When shopping around for computer repair the customer service at Geek squad was very helpful in that they suggested some possible problems, ultimately went with micro center though due to pricing.

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

I used Geek Squad at Best Buy to fix my laptop and they did a great job and got it back to work like it new. I would used the service again if needed to.

Hunter Kasprzyk
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I have used Geek Squad multiple times because they are close to me and they have never let me down. One time they took much longer than what was originally planned but I'm sure this was unavoidable and at the end of the day they did their job.

Jacinda E
December 19th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

The geek squad saved my blue screen laptop. I had some really important school on there when the blue screen popped up. They helped get my laptop back to functioning shape for a decent price and a timely manner

Valerie Gundersen
December 12th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Geek Squad has always been able to help me with my laptop issues! I would recommend Geek Quad service to anyone with a computer. Their service helps to keep a computer running smoothly!

Lindsey
December 11th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Geek Squad is great if you need something fixed with anything you bought at Best Buy. They're smart people, but somewhat lack in the people skills department.

Hellen Thomson
December 5th, 2017 Manchester, CT DETAILS

I signed up for GS 24/7 Tech Support because it was cheap ($100 year). Learned the hard way you get what you pay for. Nearly every time I contacted them with problems, they would take up to 12 hours NOT TO FIX THEM !!! Plus, almost always left my PC with additional problems. Avoid like the plague. Wait for Amazon's service to get up & running...

D Vasquez
December 29th, 2016

HP laptop got a virus. Tech remoted into computer to repair. He stated it would take about 1/2 hour. When he was completed, he called to say we needed to reboot the computer because he couldn't do it remotely. When computer was rebooted it was froze. Called Geek Squad back and they stated we would have to take it in the Best Buy. Took the computer in and they stated it would cost $49.99 to check it out. Geek Squad called next day to say the hard drive was bad. They could back up everything for another $100. They then put another hard drive in for even more $$$. 6 weeks later called Geek Squad back to find out where certain files were that they had downloaded from the saved hard drive. All of a sudden they stated the computer had a trojan virus. Never was told where these files where at while talking to them. Was then transferred to a tech (lady) who was obviously from another country. She stated that the virus was caused through our network and that it may have spread to all our home devices. She stated they could repair our computer (which we didn't even see any problems with) and offered us some sort of software security to protect all our computers, phones, IPads, for a mere $350 for 3 yrs, 5 yr for $549 or $700 for a lifetime. But the 3 yr. $350 wouldn't guarantee any new devices, only the ones we already have. We asked what about anyone that had used our network, she stated that there devices would be fine (really, how can theirs be fine but ours are not). We informed her that why was this not found when they had our computer 6 weeks prior when we paid them over $250. She stated that it might have happened after we got it back (Might have happened after we got it back) . We told her that we were going to wait on purchasing this and she transferred us to someone else that was still remoted in our computer (different person than we were originally speaking to that had remoted into the computer) the new person was also foreign, hmmm how did that happen. My husband asked him if he could log out of the computer now and he stated very rudely "I'm still logging out". I guess they didn't get all that commission they thought they were going to get, so now they can be rude. Never did find how to get those files back on our computer. Well Geek squad support will be canceled today. We are not going to pay a company every month for support that does nothing but drain you of more money.