TurboTax is a leader in the tax prep industry. It is secured with bank-level encryption, multi-factor authentication, TLS technology, Dedicated Security tax, risk assessment/audits, and limited access to data. This ensures the utmost security for customers.

TurboTax's software comes with audit defense, and the company offers 100 percent accurate calculations guaranteed with the service. Customers can file taxes with TurboTax on tablets, mobile devices (apps for Android and iOS), online, or through CD-software.

TurboTax is part of the larger Intuit company. This is a software firm that emphasizes financial, accounting, small business, and tax-related programs. It is built around small business and individual software needs and is currently one of the S&P 500.

TurboTax began in the 1980s when two software designers in the Silicon Valley area of California began to look at ways of creating computer software that could eliminate the drudgery of "pen and paper" accounting practices. This led to the birth of "Quicken" bookkeeping software and a rapid expansion of other small business and tax-related products.

By the late 1990s, the company was a major force in software and was able to offer QuickBooks, TurboTax, and web-based components. Today, the company is worth more than $4 billion and is considered one of the finest software producers in the world.

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Easy to Fill Out
  • Automatic Suggested Deductions
  • Automatic Information Retrieval
  • Mobile App
  • Supported Forms

Guarantees

Essentially, the premise behind any version of TurboTax (whether for the individual, small business, etc.) is that it is going to walk the user through the process of completing their IRS and state tax documents.

The software also finds all the potential deductions and credits that a taxpayer may qualify for. This means that there is very little risk of overlooking deductions or failing to report everything with accuracy.

TurboTax provides a Maximum Refund Guarantee, an Audit Support Guarantee, a 100% Accuracy Guarantee, and a Satisfaction Guarantee.

TurboTax offers free filing for simple tax forms. However, if you taxes are more complicated, you may have to pay a fee for using TurboTax's filling process.

Customers who use the software don't have to pay until they receive their tax return. If a customer did not file with TurboTax, even if they started with the software, then there is no charge.

Taxpayers can elect to receive their tax refund via a direct deposit to their bank account.

TurboTax also promises people a maximum refund, as well as error checking all tax work before it is submitted to the IRS.

If the company does make a mistake with the IRS, it will pay for any state penalties and interest. TurboTax's guarantees are helpful and are made to best help consumers.

Easy to Fill Out

he "step-by-step" filing process is done like an interview and offers explanations for each item as it appears. The questions are made to be very clear. The built-in "EasyGuides" offer detailed explanations for all major issues.

There are also community forums that can direct someone to even further answers and information.

Additionally, some of the advanced versions of the software will also provide professional tax advice from a tax expert around issues such as investments or business related questions. It even walks the user through such traditionally complex issues as depreciation, donations, cost basis in stocks, and special 401k tools.

Automatic Suggested Deductions

TurboTax automatically suggests deductions and credits to users. In fact, members have the ability to enter charity donations on-the-go with the TurboTax ItsDeductible app.

Automatic Information Retrieval

Because the software is able to automatically retrieve information from previous year's filings (when done using previous versions of the software), it can streamline the entire taxation process dramatically. It also pulls all necessary data from any linked versions of QuickBooks, and this means that individuals and businesses can speed up the entire tax return process while also eliminating risks of error.

Mobile App

TurboTax has a mobile app which makes doing taxes convenient. You can login and start where you left off anytime and anywhere. It doesn't matter if you're using your phone, tablet, or desktop; all your information will be saved.

Supported Forms

Premier/Home & Business:

• All Deluxe Forms
  • Schedule D
  • Schedule E

The Bad

• Limited Information
  • Federal and State Prices
  • Customer Support

Limited Information

While TurboTax does readily give information on how to input charity locations on the main homepage, the website does not upfront offer information on other types of deductibles. However, these pop-up as customers go through the questionaire.

Federal and State Prices

TurboTax is not "cheap" software, and it does have additional fees for filing state returns online.

Federal Price:

• Federal Free Edition - This product is ideal for simple tax returns and costs $0.
  • Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $34.99 and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, this is the way to go. It costs $54.99.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $89.99.

State Price

• Deluxe - The Deluxe costs $36.99 per state and is meant to maximize one's tax deductions.
  • Premier - For rental property and investments, it costs $36.99 per state.
  • Home and Business - This option is best for small business owners, and it costs $36.99 per state.

Customer Support

TurboTax offers a couple of ways to get in touch with them:

• Twitter: @TeamTurboTax
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

However, they do not offer support over the phone and through email. These are both popular forms of customer support and can be a big problem if customers are not familiar with social media or live chat options.

The Bottom Line

In the end, many people choose TurboTax because of how well the software works.

The intuitive nature of the software, the use of the interview format, and the access to previous returns tend to keep people coming back year after year.

There are also many other features that are built into the different packages that make this software a truly ideal solution, such as access to W-2 forms or 1099 forms that have been filed online.

This sort of comprehensive access ensures one of the simplest methods for doing one of the most dreaded chores.

While taxes can seem confusing at times. TurboTax provides access to answers given by tax professionals as well as a community forum. On these forums users can ask questions and have them answered by a TurboTax representative or tax professional. The library of resources is really effective and useful across the board.

TurboTax is a well-recommended tax preparing company.

Chloe Adams
July 11th, 2019 Morgan, UT DETAILS

I love how easy this is! I don’t have to leave my house and it is all very explanatory and if I ever needed help TurboTax answered very quickly!

Breanne Stanko
July 10th, 2019 Logan, UT

I use TurboTax to file my taxes and it is super easy and quick. Questions are simple and it helps get you the best amount back and figure it out. The site is super easy to understand.

Rosann Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

We have used TurboTax for years and are very pleased. We definitely would recommend it to others, in fact we have already even recommended to family and friends. When the new tax laws change each year, we have been pleased that it updates and is helpful in those areas.

Kat Humpston
June 20th, 2019 New Orleans, LA DETAILS

I ordered my return on a card to my new house after moving out of state. I had used a local bank before and no matter what I did the bank would not close the account, let me access the account or stop incurring overages. turbo tax sent my return to the old bank instead of the prepaid card I ordered, and I lost hundreds of dollars. after many phone calls and hours on the phone turbo tax refuses to fix this. I have used them for years but they don't even follow up with my filed complaints. I am never usingb this service again, money is not safe with turbotax

T
June 19th, 2019

Not a user friendly layout. Hard to maneuver and get to the items needed. Wouldn’t use.

matthew
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

i use Turbotax to do my taxes and its very fast and easy to use. they are very helpful while i do taxes cause the questions aren't hard or anything.

Anna Lower
June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

Turbo tax made taxes extremely easy to file, no trouble at all with uploading and other procedures

Sierra Beck
June 14th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

My family uses TurboTax every year for our family members taxes. My mom buys the disc at Costco that let's you file multiple times online for free. All my siblings use this for their taxes and it is straightforward. The website walks you through each step and tells what information it needs.

Taylor Walker
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

Their program made it really easy to do my taxes. It was so simple and walked me through everything and explained it really easily.

Nicole LeBaron
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

TurboTax is really easy to use. I just recently tried using TurboTax for my taxes a this year and it was so easy! Very easy to use, it helped me throughout every step to finish.

Mike Liddle
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Great service, easy to use and the only way I do my taxes. The instructions were really straight forward for self employment taxes as well as educational expenses and regular W-2 income.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My husband and I use this tax service every year as we do our taxes. My husband is very methodical when it comes to taxes and not that it is right there on his phone. We have always received a great tax return and know that using this serfice has facilitated that.

Curtis Garner
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

Very user-friendly interface. Best way I know of for a financial ignoramus to file for tax returns. Basic services are free, and are extensive enough for an ordinary person to file with maximum benefits.

Benjamin Walbrecht
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

TurboTax offers a simple and straightforward way to file taxes. If you have any special tax circumstances, they can cover those too, but expect to pay extra

John Burnside
June 10th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I've used Turbotax Home & Business Schedule C edition every year for the past 12 years. I don't like the upsell prompts for audit defense and having to pay to send in my state taxes which can be performed for free in Colorado. However, it walks me through all the issues and it's updated with the latest edition of the tax law. Very easy to use.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I am an accountant, but I still love using turbo tax. It is updated with tax law and makes filing so easy!

Marissa
June 10th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I really like and currently use TurboTax. They are user friendly and for my filing needs, they do everything for free! I've been very happy with the service I've recieved.

Jessica Bjorling
June 10th, 2019 Eldridge, IA DETAILS

TurboTax is so helpful every year and it makes doing my taxes so much easier! They are so reliable too.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT

Turbo Tax offers a free service online and I have been using it for the past couple of years. I don't have any unique tax situations so I don't need anything fancy. TurboTax makes it really easy to file both IRS and state taxes. They take you through all of the steps so i know that I am putting in the right information in the right place.

Anne Sainsbury
June 10th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

I hate preparing taxes, so TruboTax was a great solution for me! It kept my information last year, so it made it so much quicker to fill out this year! Not sure if I got all my refund back that I could have, but it was quick and easy!

Grant Lofgreen
June 5th, 2019 Provo, UT

So easy to use. Process is very intuitive and saves all records for future reference. Makes doing taxes easy.

Beth Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've always been afraid to file my own taxes. It just seemed like an overwhelming process that I would get wrong. I had to file my 2018 taxes myself this year and I was so pleasantly surprised with TurboTax. They made it SO easy! And I got a bigger refund than I expected even after having to pay taxes for some freelance work. I'm also a fan of having my taxes filed digitally and I can log in and reference them whenever I need to. I will definitely be using TurboTax again next year. Worth the money!

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I only use TurboTax for my taxes because they make it simple and easy to understand. My dad recommended this to me and is been pleased with this company.

Myles Cox
June 3rd, 2019 Portland, OR

I use the free Turbotax every year and it's always been reliable and easy to use.

Kimberli Shaner
June 3rd, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

I appreciate the concept, but they didn't stand by their analysis of my taxes when there was a discrepancy, even after paying for audit protection.

Jeremy
June 3rd, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

Makes my taxes so much easier. I have used this for 10 years straight now. I will continue to use it.

Brittany Bray
May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT

We were in a panic with taxes. Turbo got us right in and helped us out. They saved us!

Claudia Soto
May 31st, 2019 Park City, UT DETAILS

TurboTax is a great service! I had used other tax services before, but TurboTax is much more accessible, faster, easier to use, and more reliable! I got my full tax return and did not have to worry! I will continue to use TurboTax every tax season!

Dalin Conner
May 30th, 2019 Fallon, NV DETAILS

Ive used turbo tax every year to file my taxes and it cannot get any more simple than this. They walk you through every process and every document you'll need. It keeps you updated along the way what your return will be based on the options you choose too.

Liana
May 28th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

I had issues with them this year, and they wouldn't let me efile. It was pretty frustrating, because if I had know I couldn't efile, I wouldn't have paid money for them, but at that point I was in too deep.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019

I’ve used this to prepare my taxes. I used the online version. It worked really well, but I ended up having to mail the forms. I preferred H R Block.

E S
May 28th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Makes you pay before the government accepts the return and then gives no refund. Not good customer service. Does not always give accurate information about taxes. However, otherwise good help.

Lori
May 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My husband uses TurboTax every year to do and file our taxes. We have never had any mistakes and the process is easy. The cost for the software is way lower and affordable than you might expect.

kerry perez
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I use it every year, very easy to use, interactive, my two teens that work now use it themselves for filing their taxes. the only knock so far is they try to sell you bigger packages all the time. but for what i need its working for me!!

Stephanie
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We have used TurboTax for years and I have already recommended it to many other people. It makes doing your taxes so easy and affordable. Great deal for a great result.

Hannah Judd
May 16th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

They do a good job making things seem easy. However, it drives me crazy that they continue to add fees for extra forms. For example, just because I had a foreign bank account, I would have to pay an extra fee - even though I literally wouldn't be filing a single extra form because I never had more than $10k in that bank account. It's also just not very transparent - as a CPA myself, I want more ability to see how the numbers I am inputting are flowing through to the forms. But, overall their services are pretty good and I used them once for an amended return, and it wasn't too hard.

Scott
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Since using Turbo Tax I will never pay anyone to do my taxes again. The software is easy to use and the help options are there just in case you have any questions along the way. I think people owe it to themselves to give TurboTax a try.

Karrie
May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We use TurboTax every year to file our state and federal taxes. I know that our tax circumstances are fairly straight forward but knowing the software I would still be very confident in TurboTax even if they weren't. You can't beat the price and ease of use!

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

TurboTax is amazing software. I have been able to do my personal taxes for the last few years only because TurboTax has given me the confidence to do so. The price is very good especially compared to professional tax preparers.

betsy fowler
May 15th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I love turbo tax! I have always done my taxes myself, and assumed that because I don't own property I was fine. However, I have used Turbo Tax the past two years and found that their suggestions for tax write-offs and deductions are extremely helpful, to the tune of saving me several hundred dollars. I got married last year, and we chose to use Turbo Tax to do our joint return and it made it really easy to navigate together with my husband. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who typically does their taxes on their own.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A wonderful service that’s well worth it. Honestly just streamlines taxes and makes your life better.

L. Fowler
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I used TurboTax when I was single and filing a return on a one income household. They were great to work with and my return was quickly processed.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Turbo Tax has made our tax filing experience a good one year after year. I love the fact that I can do my own taxes and rest easy knowing that they are being done properly. The software is easy to use and the cost to purchase the software is nothing compared to other professional tax filing options.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have used TurboTax for the last 12 years and have never once thought of changing. TurboTax makes it easy for anyone, and I mean anyone, to do their taxes the right way and not have to worry about errors. They are very affordable and if you have questions their customer service tax professionals will help with anything you need. I will never stop using TurboTax.

Ashley
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Turbo Tax is sold at your local Costco and is worth every penny. The struggle to do taxes is now no struggle at all. Turbo asks all the right questions to get you on your way to a speedy and fast return.

Reese
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used Turbo tax for the past 5 or so years. They are easy to get started with, they ask all the questions that get me the biggest tax refund possible and I can start and stop as many times as I need to to get done. I also like how safe and secure they are.

Rob Whipple
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Very easy to use. Stores our info year to year so it makes it easy in subsequent years. Good instruction and thorough preparation.

Randy Case
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I've used Turbo Tax Home & Office to prepare my taxes for the last 5 years, and am totally happy with the product. There are many useful features, including being able to switch back and forth between the forms mode and the preparation mode, and Home & Office version handles your LLC preparation, even employee benefits.

Boston Whipple
May 6th, 2019 Provo, UT

They said it would be free and then they tried to charge us money. We had to go through a specific link on a government website and create a new account in order for it to be free. It was easy to use.

Barney
May 2nd, 2019 DETAILS

Great experience. Easy to use, very useful information that can save you money.