H&R Block Logo

6.9

LAST UPDATED: July 6th, 2022

H&R Block has offered professional tax services since 1955, giving them over 60 years of experience. H&R Block has served over 550 million clients and have offices within five miles of most American households. It offers a wide variety of tax filing options at different prices and resources to clients. H&R Block also helps clients prepare taxes in one of their many offices or online.

With H&R Block, customers can do online tax filing with software on a computer or through a mobile phone (iOS and Android apps).

H&R Block offers audit support through its Audit Risk Identification feature which boosts the overall value of the software and the Double Check function and ensures total accuracy.

While filing, there are embedded links directly into forms to provide clients insights to learn more and find answers to questions.

In addition, there is a "walk through" workflow and bookmark options for users. A big plus is that an Accuracy Guarantee is included with every product.

TurboTax Logo
#1 TurboTax chevron_right
TaxAct Logo
#3 TaxAct chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Member Resources
  • Suggested Tax Deductions
  • Customer Support

Guarantees

Every tax return comes with the "H&R Block Guarantee," covering any interest or penalty fees from the IRS. The guarantee also encompasses auditing.

Member Resources

H&R Block provides free in-person audit support for clients, and clients receive a 5 percent bonus refund on top of their federal refund to be used at over 15 retailers. Also, live chat is available for clients to help them with any questions or concerns when filing.

Tax filers who use H&R Block can choose to receive their tax return as a direct deposit to their bank account, which makes it especially easy and convenient.

Suggested Tax Deductions

Standard Deductions The standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount that reduces the income you're taxed on. Your standard deduction varies according to your filing status. In 2014, the standard deduction was:

• For single or married filing separately -- $6,200
  • For married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) -- $12,400
  • For head of household -- $9,100

Itemized Deductions Itemized deductions also reduce your taxable income. Ex: If you're in the 15% tax bracket, every $1,000 in itemized deductions knocks $150 off of your tax bill. You might benefit from itemizing your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A if you:

• Have itemized deductions that total more than the standard deduction you'd receive
  • Had large, uninsured medical and dental expenses
  • Paid mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your home
  • Had large, unreimbursed expenses as an employee
  • Had a large, uninsured casualty (fire, flood, wind) or theft losses
  • Made large contributions to qualified charities
  • Had large, unreimbursed miscellaneous expenses

Customer Support

H&R Block offers a number of ways to get in touch with them:

• By phone: 1-800-472-5625
  • Twitter: @HRBlockAnswers
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

The Bad

• Supported Forms
  • Most Popular Version Prices

Supported Forms

For basic tax preparation, H&R Block offers 1040, 1040a, 1040ez. These tax forms are standard for filing taxes if individuals are employed in full or part-time jobs.

For those who are self-employed, H&R Block offers a Schedule C. The Schedule C is a form used for people to report how much money they earned or lost from their business during the fiscal year.

To report on multiple owned properties, H&R Block offers a Schedule E. The Schedule E allows individuals to report how much money they earned or lost from renting their properties during the fiscal year.

Most Popular Version Prices

Federal

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. This option has a fee of $34.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option's fee is $36.99

State

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. The fee is $54.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option costs $36.99

The Bottom Line

Tax season is when taxpayers receive the money they overpaid in taxes as a tax refund. Whether someone is filing a very simple set of tax returns or relatively complicated ones, this software is likely to provide the tools needed. Using an online tax filing software is cheaper than paying a tax preparer to do the work for you.

The filing process can be confusing, and getting it done correctly is important. Online tax filing software is a great resource for filers preparing their own taxes.

H&R Block puts direct links into online forms, giving clients insights into their questions during the application process. In addition, clients are walked through the online tax preparation filing process and are provided with several guarantees to provide peace of mind.

However, the H&R Block tax prep software doesn't automatically offer suggested deductions, which can make a big difference in what your tax return looks like.

H&R Block has expanded its free tax software include more complicated forms. If your tax situation isn't too complicated, you may be able to do a free file with H&R Block. Overall, H&R Block has several great features and is a good choice for tax prep.

View Best Tax Prep Companies

3.6

Nicole Kilburn Las Vegas, NV

Ive used h&r block the past two years. I wont go anywhere else to do my taxes. They always give me the biggest refund possible and explain everything to me that i dont understand.

18 hours ago

Matthew Locke Tucson, AZ

H&r block is great for all your tax needs they will do everything they can to help you get back everything that you can receive.

Doglover San Diego, CA

I have been very happy with my tax lady Silvia. They are fast efficient and helped me get back on track with my taxes. It's a little hard to get an appointment but over all good service and fast response when you do finally connect. They are a well known company so they are creditable. I always seem to come back to them after yay if another tax place. I believe it's because I like that they are knowledgeable and will do what's right. They give you great advice on filing and always return your calls.

Trisha Ross DeWitt, MI

I have used H&R Both at a location and online off and on for 10-20 years now and they are very professional. I prefer going to a location, but since the pandemic I've used it online. I don't like that they make you pay for 2 different services online just to finish the federal even though it's "free federal" and to file the state you have to pay again. Otherwise it's a great company.

Yooper Colorado Colorado Springs, CO

So far I am happy with this product having just started using it for this tax year. We switched from Turbotax this year because they required you to file by February 15th and the State forms (which used to be free) now cost a lot extra. The import function and advertisement for the software need to be more forthcoming because in order to import the previous year's tax files you first need to export the file in the old software (hopefully you still have a copy of that software lying around) if you don't you are out of luck for the import, you will have to start from scratch.

Dan Woodland Park, CO

The. Forms were easy to use and instructions easy to follow very thorough, accurate and easy even for my first time. I highly recommend them.

Maxwell Williams Victorville, CA

My wife and I have been going to H&R Block for the past 5 years. They have been always been professional and courteous. They are always giving us tips to help us save a little money and now that my wife and I are empty nesters. We need all the breaks we can get. Our tax person has gotten to know us and even ask about our kids. Such a friendly and relax environment. We will continue to retain there services for as long as we can. Thank you H&R Block.

Teresa Taylor FL

I used their online service it was pretty good pretty easy.

1 day ago

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

I have always used H&R Block to file my taxes. They make the process very easy and you always get back the right amount on your refund check. If you need extra help, they also have accountants available for you to contact.

Rae Martinez Peoria, AZ

I like that they usually run on time. Disappointed that from year to year you may have to use a different preparer. At the location close to us, there was turn-over and seemed we always picked someone that wasn't there the next year. What was done - was done accurately and preparer always knew latest laws, etc. Seemed to be a little expensive since the computer did the real work - especially once we got to the point where we were standard deductions. I just don't feel comfortable doing them myself. The convenience was worth it.

Tonya Luker Memphis, TN

I've been using H&R Block for 33 years. Started out using their offices and later started using their online services. It's easy to use and if you run into a problem, they are there to help you. Never had any issues with the IRS using them.

Kristen Parsons Sandy, UT

We have used this software for over 10 years for taxes and we have never had a problem. Our agent checks in to make sure we are taken care of and even made sure to call us when he heard we got our basement finished to change our coverage not just for the construction but to match it to the market.

James Richards Las Vegas, NV

I've used h&r block for years. They really do help you to get as much money you can get. Trustworthy, honest.

Frank Herbert

As a former IRS Office Auditor I find the H&R software, intuitive, comprehensive and easy to navigate. The Federal/State package contains all the forms I need for investments and rentals and they provide numerous links with explanations and clarifications. I file multiple state returns easily and timely with electronic filing. I have recommended H&R to all my relatives as well.

Sandra Little Eugene, OR

The Tax professionals at H&R Block were knowledgeable and professional. I was pleased with the ease of filing. Also, a couple of years later I had a letter from the IRS and Block checked my filing and found more money for me and the document in question was attached to my return originally. The letter was in error. The people at Block were quick to respond to my question regarding the letter.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

I use and have used H&R Block tax software for over 20 years. I've never had a tax problem, it stores your previous information and return and you simply answer questions to produce a tax return. My only complaint is that they charge you for more than 1 state return filing while giving you 5 free federal filings. I feel it should be 5 of each so that a family or couple doesn't need to pay extra. Other than that it's great tax software.

Kaye Columbia, MO

Tax season is never fun but H&R Block makes it quick and easy. My agent is always very knowledgeable about my taxes and tax policy, I'm never left with unanswered questions. The best part is the efficiency: you can drop off your taxes and come back when they're complete, or if you choose to stay like I sometimes do, it never takes me more than an hour and a half to be in and out and done for the year.

Linda Hogan San Diego, CA

I am a 73 year, which is not OLD, but if you combine that with my attention deficit disorder disorder (ADD) I do find it more difficult to do things like my taxes. This year my advisor Mari F called and set up a way for me to take picture of all my documents and send them to her. Then she completed my taxes she sent a notice for me to accept my taxes. Here is where the problem lies! In the process of setting up my account I had to put in an ID name and password. In reentering this information I put an extra dot in my user name a proceeded to change my password. As often as I looked at it I missed the extra dot.. Mary called H&R tech department where a tech rep. could see where I had made the mistake. Mari spent at least a couple of hours helping me figure out why I could not accept my taxes. I call this going above and beyond. Most important for me is that with her knowledge and integrity I trust that I am getting everything I am entitled too.

Heather Novus Palm Bay, FL

Website is incredibly easy to use and military one source uses this company to prep taxes for military members.

Sam Seeger Dallas, TX

I have been using H&R Block for many years now. I've not had a problem with their online service but this year, unlike years in the past, I opted for the optional product of a professional review. Terrible choice. My review is now locked while the reviewer "reviews" it. It has been re-assigned once. They are not only not doing anything with it they aren't communicating with me. I called the main number today and they told me they could reverse it but if they do then it erases every thing I spent hours putting in my self. Avoid the paid reviewer option with H&R block.

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

I love H&R Block I use them every year they're so quick and always accurate with the calculations of the numbers of my taxes very very professional customer service

Mandy Pesce

Whether we use in-person tax prep or H&R Block online, it is a very easy to follow system with plenty of support and help along the way to file our taxes. We use them more often than not every year.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

Professional but expensive! I do feel they are very thorough however. I wouldn't say I'd never use them again but I've learned to process my own taxes now which is much easier and cheaper. H&R is great if you're unsure of what to do and need that extra assistance.

Erica Reynolds

We use H&R block every year to file our taxes. It's so easy to use. We upload all of our documents and a tax professional takes it from there! We've been able to use the same tax professional every year too, which is a plus!

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

The website was easy to understand and the options were good. They were a bit pricey, but not necessarily outside of industry averages from my experience. Would use them again.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have only used H&R twice, each year to do my taxes. One out of the two years, I had an itemized list because I was filing as a sole proprietor. H&R screwed that up big time. My taxes ended up being filed late that year because they were "held hostage" in the office for several months. I ended up getting them mailed back to me and filed them myself. I'm giving 3 stars, because after speaking with the company manager, it turns out it was just a rouge employee that had taken my personal taxes to her home to work on them and I'm guessing they got misplaced for some time. No excuses but I was made to believe that the employee was beyond reprimanded and that was not the general practice of the company.

WT

I used to go into the office to have my taxes done. On a whim I decided to try the free online tax prep and it was so simple to use. I like Block as a company but their in-office fees are a tad high. The good thing is that they offer peace of mind and stand behind their returns.

Michelle Chandler, OK

H&R Block is fast, easy and reliable. I used to do my own taxes with a other online company, but then the IRS would come back on me for a couple of years. I started using H&R and haven't had one single problem. Highly recommend!

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

I have used HR Block to file our taxes for the last 6 or so years. I find it to be the most user friendly, identify the biggest returns, and have yet to have an error or audit. Have used other providers in the past but prefer HR Block over the rest!

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I really enjoy the ease of use of the online product through this company. The basic product is free and any upgrades in the service seem like they are worth the money. Very good service towards military members. Overall a good quality product of choice for tax preparation.

Nashali Vescovacci FL

This company is very helpful for tax prep. They are very trustworthy and great quality services. You can tell that their employees care about their customers. They offer a very personalized approach to tax prep and are very detailed.

Rose Chevelon Tallahassee, FL

I did my 2020 tax return with H&R block and the lady helped me big time! She was so nice and caring and very informative when it came to explaining certain information that I needed to know. A bonus is that my money came quick.

Jeanne Baker New Boston, TX

My husband and i tried Turbo Tax at the recommendation of a friend. This program determined that we owed 5k. We were skeptical and brought our taxes to H&R Block who determined that we actually were owed roughly the same amount. We have used H&R Block since that time. Our tax professional, Joann H in New Boston, TX is a consummate professional and has solved very unusual and difficult tax issues for us. She is a truly caring person who clearly takes pride in her work and easily navigates any research necessary to serve her clients. We have complete confidence in her.

Crissann Irwin, PA

I have worked for H&R Block for 15 tax seasons and have held many hats over the years. The best thing that has happened is the company launching the Blockworks program this past tax season. It is the most user friendly program I have ever used. My TP's and I used the program 100% this tax season. Goodbye to TPS. A much needed change with the times.

Darla McBride Gutshall Lexington, NC

I was a client starting in 2002 when I first moved to N.C. from F.L. & had never had to file a state tax return. I added a spouse in 2003 & a baby in 2004. My tax pro was vert informative & remembered me year after year. In 2008, I started working in a franchise office as a client service rep. Now, I'm still a client service rep but, I'm also tax preparer & an office coordinator. I love interacting w/ my clients & I couldn't ask for a better boss. To me, the value is phenomenal. Year round service, pros who know their tax laws & go above & beyond to make you feel like you're family; not just a number!

Joe Ebbing Thonotosassa, FL

Enjoyed 21 years as a District Mansger on both the franchise side and company side of the business . Customer satisfaction was always the prime concern. Retired in 2012 and returned as a seasonal tax professional this past tax season. I am looking forward to working with many clients in the years to come as a seasonal associate with HRBlock. Block provides a high quality of continuing education and rewards associates as they earn higher levels of tax knowledge certification.

Lena munn Elmira, NY

I always have good results with H&R. I also like that you gave the option yo get audit protection. They are expensive but it's worth it.

Jennifer Orlando, FL

H&R Block is extremely easy to use. I like that everything is uploaded automatically every year and I don’t have to input it. Online help is very quick to respond.

Gaju Shrestha Provo, UT

I have used H&R Block (online) to file my tax for couple of years. Tge steps were easy to follow and they checked everything and made sure everything covered and maximum refunded.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

I have felt the Software was very good for the basic tax filing. As I have had more and more different income streams I was not as comfortable with if it or I was filing things properly. I moved to a tax advisor now.

Sirdriz77 Fairfield, CT

I used H&R Block a handful of times when my taxes were simple and I only had one job. I went in person to a local office. The process was very simple and I had no issues with my return, but I didn’t feel like they took much time to educate me or ask me questions specific to my industry that could have potentially found additional deductions.

Krista Griffith Tulsa, OK

I've been using them for years to do my own taxes at home. They walk you through every step, give you many opportunities to make changes or add new info, and make importing last years data simple. Four stars for being a little pricier than others.

Chelsea Pleasant Grove, UT

They do my taxes every year since I met my husband and they are wonderful! Besides having to re do my state taxes last year and got them late due to one little error will most definitely be going back!

Cassie Banuelos St. Petersburg, FL

I have used this company for years for my taxes. They are super helpful and knowledgeable about all aspects of taxes. I love that they have multiple people with different area of experience to help everyone.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I love H&R Block!!!! I have done my taxes with H&R Block for many years and it's always been great. It's really easy to do my taxes on their website and I feel that I can trust them. Plus they keep my information from the previous year, which helps as well.

Tiffany Baines Akron, OH

Great service, but extensive! Went and our appointment took much longer than anticipated, but the computer was running slow due to being the first day the electronically filed taxes went through in the system. They were very apologetic and have us the best possible refund option and was helpful in answering questions we didn't understand, explained a lot and made the process easier and less stressful!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

H&R Block is a solid foundation for tax prep assistance. It offers a wide variety of services, from simple to complex. They can handle all of your tax issues and can answer tons of questions. They are professional and accurate. They can be trusted to help with your taxes.

Susan D Walled Lake, MI

I came in very nervous and was put at ease within literally minutes by my Master Tax Advisor, Chrysia. She was so professional and helpful; she was able to show me tools and goals that put me at ease. I made my appointment for next year with her! Thank you!

Kay Conway, SC

The people who work there are very nice. I, like so many here, agree they are way too expensive. I paid $530 this year, the most I have ever paid to do my taxes and she gave me a $40 discount so it would have been $570! I was there an hour so who makes that kind of money for an hours worth of work for you, a doctor, a lawyer for an hours worth of time at a computer?! Go somewhere else if you can. I wish now that I had. They take advantage knowing that you have to do this. Nothing against the person filling out the forms, she is nice. I know that she doesn’t make the prices. I bet the profits for H and R Block are in the billions for their CEO and shareholders.

Nandita Tonse

This is a very nice website to help new tax filers. They have helped me file my ITR. Also they give guidelines about how to do it and help me understand the term. Each person i given a tax expert, who is available throughout the time to help. Highly recommended