H&R Block Logo

6.9

LAST UPDATED: August 17th, 2022

H&R Block has offered professional tax services since 1955, giving them over 60 years of experience. H&R Block has served over 550 million clients and have offices within five miles of most American households. It offers a wide variety of tax filing options at different prices and resources to clients. H&R Block also helps clients prepare taxes in one of their many offices or online.

With H&R Block, customers can do online tax filing with software on a computer or through a mobile phone (iOS and Android apps).

H&R Block offers audit support through its Audit Risk Identification feature which boosts the overall value of the software and the Double Check function and ensures total accuracy.

While filing, there are embedded links directly into forms to provide clients insights to learn more and find answers to questions.

In addition, there is a "walk through" workflow and bookmark options for users. A big plus is that an Accuracy Guarantee is included with every product.

TurboTax Logo
#1 TurboTax chevron_right

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Member Resources
  • Suggested Tax Deductions
  • Customer Support

Guarantees

Every tax return comes with the "H&R Block Guarantee," covering any interest or penalty fees from the IRS. The guarantee also encompasses auditing.

Member Resources

H&R Block provides free in-person audit support for clients, and clients receive a 5 percent bonus refund on top of their federal refund to be used at over 15 retailers. Also, live chat is available for clients to help them with any questions or concerns when filing.

Tax filers who use H&R Block can choose to receive their tax return as a direct deposit to their bank account, which makes it especially easy and convenient.

Suggested Tax Deductions

Standard Deductions The standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount that reduces the income you're taxed on. Your standard deduction varies according to your filing status. In 2014, the standard deduction was:

• For single or married filing separately -- $6,200
  • For married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) -- $12,400
  • For head of household -- $9,100

Itemized Deductions Itemized deductions also reduce your taxable income. Ex: If you're in the 15% tax bracket, every $1,000 in itemized deductions knocks $150 off of your tax bill. You might benefit from itemizing your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A if you:

• Have itemized deductions that total more than the standard deduction you'd receive
  • Had large, uninsured medical and dental expenses
  • Paid mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your home
  • Had large, unreimbursed expenses as an employee
  • Had a large, uninsured casualty (fire, flood, wind) or theft losses
  • Made large contributions to qualified charities
  • Had large, unreimbursed miscellaneous expenses

Customer Support

H&R Block offers a number of ways to get in touch with them:

• By phone: 1-800-472-5625
  • Twitter: @HRBlockAnswers
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

The Bad

• Supported Forms
  • Most Popular Version Prices

Supported Forms

For basic tax preparation, H&R Block offers 1040, 1040a, 1040ez. These tax forms are standard for filing taxes if individuals are employed in full or part-time jobs.

For those who are self-employed, H&R Block offers a Schedule C. The Schedule C is a form used for people to report how much money they earned or lost from their business during the fiscal year.

To report on multiple owned properties, H&R Block offers a Schedule E. The Schedule E allows individuals to report how much money they earned or lost from renting their properties during the fiscal year.

Most Popular Version Prices

Federal

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. This option has a fee of $34.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option's fee is $36.99

State

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. The fee is $54.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option costs $36.99

The Bottom Line

Tax season is when taxpayers receive the money they overpaid in taxes as a tax refund. Whether someone is filing a very simple set of tax returns or relatively complicated ones, this software is likely to provide the tools needed. Using an online tax filing software is cheaper than paying a tax preparer to do the work for you.

The filing process can be confusing, and getting it done correctly is important. Online tax filing software is a great resource for filers preparing their own taxes.

H&R Block puts direct links into online forms, giving clients insights into their questions during the application process. In addition, clients are walked through the online tax preparation filing process and are provided with several guarantees to provide peace of mind.

However, the H&R Block tax prep software doesn't automatically offer suggested deductions, which can make a big difference in what your tax return looks like.

H&R Block has expanded its free tax software include more complicated forms. If your tax situation isn't too complicated, you may be able to do a free file with H&R Block. Overall, H&R Block has several great features and is a good choice for tax prep.

View Best Tax Prep Companies

3.6

Nicole Kilburn Las Vegas, NV

Ive used h&r block the past two years. I wont go anywhere else to do my taxes. They always give me the biggest refund possible and explain everything to me that i dont understand.

Yooper Colorado Colorado Springs, CO

So far I am happy with this product having just started using it for this tax year. We switched from Turbotax this year because they required you to file by February 15th and the State forms (which used to be free) now cost a lot extra. The import function and advertisement for the software need to be more forthcoming because in order to import the previous year's tax files you first need to export the file in the old software (hopefully you still have a copy of that software lying around) if you don't you are out of luck for the import, you will have to start from scratch.

Rakim Carpenter Tulsa, OK

My go to tax prep been using for 8 years and counting helpful for small business owner you help keep track of mileage tax deductions etc...

Matthew Locke Tucson, AZ

H&r block is great for all your tax needs they will do everything they can to help you get back everything that you can receive.

Maxwell Williams Victorville, CA

My wife and I have been going to H&R Block for the past 5 years. They have been always been professional and courteous. They are always giving us tips to help us save a little money and now that my wife and I are empty nesters. We need all the breaks we can get. Our tax person has gotten to know us and even ask about our kids. Such a friendly and relax environment. We will continue to retain there services for as long as we can. Thank you H&R Block.

Frank Herbert

As a former IRS Office Auditor I find the H&R software, intuitive, comprehensive and easy to navigate. The Federal/State package contains all the forms I need for investments and rentals and they provide numerous links with explanations and clarifications. I file multiple state returns easily and timely with electronic filing. I have recommended H&R to all my relatives as well.

Sandra Little Eugene, OR

The Tax professionals at H&R Block were knowledgeable and professional. I was pleased with the ease of filing. Also, a couple of years later I had a letter from the IRS and Block checked my filing and found more money for me and the document in question was attached to my return originally. The letter was in error. The people at Block were quick to respond to my question regarding the letter.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

I use and have used H&R Block tax software for over 20 years. I've never had a tax problem, it stores your previous information and return and you simply answer questions to produce a tax return. My only complaint is that they charge you for more than 1 state return filing while giving you 5 free federal filings. I feel it should be 5 of each so that a family or couple doesn't need to pay extra. Other than that it's great tax software.

Linda Hogan San Diego, CA

I am a 73 year, which is not OLD, but if you combine that with my attention deficit disorder disorder (ADD) I do find it more difficult to do things like my taxes. This year my advisor Mari F called and set up a way for me to take picture of all my documents and send them to her. Then she completed my taxes she sent a notice for me to accept my taxes. Here is where the problem lies! In the process of setting up my account I had to put in an ID name and password. In reentering this information I put an extra dot in my user name a proceeded to change my password. As often as I looked at it I missed the extra dot.. Mary called H&R tech department where a tech rep. could see where I had made the mistake. Mari spent at least a couple of hours helping me figure out why I could not accept my taxes. I call this going above and beyond. Most important for me is that with her knowledge and integrity I trust that I am getting everything I am entitled too.

Mandy Pesce

Whether we use in-person tax prep or H&R Block online, it is a very easy to follow system with plenty of support and help along the way to file our taxes. We use them more often than not every year.

atirche B Shawnee, OK

I really like H&R Block they are fast and it's not a hassle

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

I have always used H&R Block to file my taxes. They make the process very easy and you always get back the right amount on your refund check. If you need extra help, they also have accountants available for you to contact.

Jaelyn Morris Tallahassee, FL

H&R Block makes doing your taxes easy and fast. They have agents available if you need help with your tax, and if you don't the step-by-step instructions are easy to follow. I will continue using H&R Block to file my taxes.

Tonya Luker Memphis, TN

I've been using H&R Block for 33 years. Started out using their offices and later started using their online services. It's easy to use and if you run into a problem, they are there to help you. Never had any issues with the IRS using them.

Kristen Parsons Sandy, UT

We have used this software for over 10 years for taxes and we have never had a problem. Our agent checks in to make sure we are taken care of and even made sure to call us when he heard we got our basement finished to change our coverage not just for the construction but to match it to the market.

WT

I used to go into the office to have my taxes done. On a whim I decided to try the free online tax prep and it was so simple to use. I like Block as a company but their in-office fees are a tad high. The good thing is that they offer peace of mind and stand behind their returns.

Michelle Chandler, OK

H&R Block is fast, easy and reliable. I used to do my own taxes with a other online company, but then the IRS would come back on me for a couple of years. I started using H&R and haven't had one single problem. Highly recommend!

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

I have used HR Block to file our taxes for the last 6 or so years. I find it to be the most user friendly, identify the biggest returns, and have yet to have an error or audit. Have used other providers in the past but prefer HR Block over the rest!

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I really enjoy the ease of use of the online product through this company. The basic product is free and any upgrades in the service seem like they are worth the money. Very good service towards military members. Overall a good quality product of choice for tax preparation.

Jeanne Baker New Boston, TX

My husband and i tried Turbo Tax at the recommendation of a friend. This program determined that we owed 5k. We were skeptical and brought our taxes to H&R Block who determined that we actually were owed roughly the same amount. We have used H&R Block since that time. Our tax professional, Joann H in New Boston, TX is a consummate professional and has solved very unusual and difficult tax issues for us. She is a truly caring person who clearly takes pride in her work and easily navigates any research necessary to serve her clients. We have complete confidence in her.

Crissann Irwin, PA

I have worked for H&R Block for 15 tax seasons and have held many hats over the years. The best thing that has happened is the company launching the Blockworks program this past tax season. It is the most user friendly program I have ever used. My TP's and I used the program 100% this tax season. Goodbye to TPS. A much needed change with the times.

Joe Ebbing Thonotosassa, FL

Enjoyed 21 years as a District Mansger on both the franchise side and company side of the business . Customer satisfaction was always the prime concern. Retired in 2012 and returned as a seasonal tax professional this past tax season. I am looking forward to working with many clients in the years to come as a seasonal associate with HRBlock. Block provides a high quality of continuing education and rewards associates as they earn higher levels of tax knowledge certification.

Kaye Columbia, MO

Tax season is never fun but H&R Block makes it quick and easy. My agent is always very knowledgeable about my taxes and tax policy, I'm never left with unanswered questions. The best part is the efficiency: you can drop off your taxes and come back when they're complete, or if you choose to stay like I sometimes do, it never takes me more than an hour and a half to be in and out and done for the year.

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

I love H&R Block I use them every year they're so quick and always accurate with the calculations of the numbers of my taxes very very professional customer service

Jennifer Orlando, FL

H&R Block is extremely easy to use. I like that everything is uploaded automatically every year and I don’t have to input it. Online help is very quick to respond.

Erica Reynolds

We use H&R block every year to file our taxes. It's so easy to use. We upload all of our documents and a tax professional takes it from there! We've been able to use the same tax professional every year too, which is a plus!

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

The website was easy to understand and the options were good. They were a bit pricey, but not necessarily outside of industry averages from my experience. Would use them again.

Chelsea Pleasant Grove, UT

They do my taxes every year since I met my husband and they are wonderful! Besides having to re do my state taxes last year and got them late due to one little error will most definitely be going back!

Cassie Banuelos St. Petersburg, FL

I have used this company for years for my taxes. They are super helpful and knowledgeable about all aspects of taxes. I love that they have multiple people with different area of experience to help everyone.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I love H&R Block!!!! I have done my taxes with H&R Block for many years and it's always been great. It's really easy to do my taxes on their website and I feel that I can trust them. Plus they keep my information from the previous year, which helps as well.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

H&R Block is a solid foundation for tax prep assistance. It offers a wide variety of services, from simple to complex. They can handle all of your tax issues and can answer tons of questions. They are professional and accurate. They can be trusted to help with your taxes.

Susan D Walled Lake, MI

I came in very nervous and was put at ease within literally minutes by my Master Tax Advisor, Chrysia. She was so professional and helpful; she was able to show me tools and goals that put me at ease. I made my appointment for next year with her! Thank you!

Nandita Tonse

This is a very nice website to help new tax filers. They have helped me file my ITR. Also they give guidelines about how to do it and help me understand the term. Each person i given a tax expert, who is available throughout the time to help. Highly recommended

tamara barnes Waterloo, IA

I have been with H&R for more than 10 years.. I have one very special preparer that does my taxes nearly every year. When she is not available we are confident in whomever we get. We get in and get out quickly and ALL staff members are friendly and helpful!!! We will continue to use H&R Block for years to come!!! Keep up the great work!!

Carol Goldsboro, NC

I have worked for H&R Block for 30 years. I look forward to training every year. We have to take advance tax classes every year to increase our tax knowledge and to be able to help our clients with their particular tax situation. I love working for H&R Block and I would never consider leaving.

Susie TX

Been with company 20 plus years. One of the Best. I have worked for Fortune 500 companies and Block has them beat. You are always taking classes on tax theory and there is always someone to research questions. And WE Do Audit Assistance and Representation.

Nashali Vescovacci FL

This company is very helpful for tax prep. They are very trustworthy and great quality services. You can tell that their employees care about their customers. They offer a very personalized approach to tax prep and are very detailed.

Rose Chevelon Tallahassee, FL

I did my 2020 tax return with H&R block and the lady helped me big time! She was so nice and caring and very informative when it came to explaining certain information that I needed to know. A bonus is that my money came quick.

Dave_ Layton, UT

I am happy with the software as it had accurate calculations of my taxes and is easy to use. I used this software several years in the past and only switched to a different one since my employer subsidized the other product. I was happy with the product and my father has been using it for the past 15 years after switching from the other product as he prefers H&R Block.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

It has been a few years since we have used H&R Block, but I can tell you that the service that they provided was great. We were able to work with an agent that was knowledgeable and efficient, with our taxes completed in just a few days. The cost was reasonable for the piece of mind offered. We would probably still use them, except that my husband got his degree in accounting. We appreciate your service H&R Block!

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used H&R Block many times and every time they are very knowledgable and helpful in doing my taxes. They helped me through every step of the way, and it was good to be able to talk with someone instead of a computer. I felt like they gave me all the options I needed and made the best out of what isn't fun at all and that is taxes. In the end they gave me options to file on line or send it in myself and they also gave me the option of getting my refund sooner through them.

Sarah Ava Salt Lake City, UT

We’ve used H&R Block’s online filing for the past two years and would definitely recommend it. The program takes you through your taxes step by step and has someone available if you have any questions or concerns. Simple and convenient, even when your taxes are complicated and not as straightforward. The price we paid is hundreds less than we paid a CPA to file for us in the past, so it’s well worth the savings.

Heather Novus Palm Bay, FL

Website is incredibly easy to use and military one source uses this company to prep taxes for military members.

Lena munn Elmira, NY

I always have good results with H&R. I also like that you gave the option yo get audit protection. They are expensive but it's worth it.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

Think Legal. Don't cut corners and risk a audit. I've used H&R for years. I trust them and what they charge. Clean and simple!

Mymy Tallahassee, FL

The representative that helped me do my taxes are super informed and I always feel like my refund is maximized by using this serivce!

Rebecca D

Love our H and R Block advisor. She is amazing. Efficient and knowledgeable, Geeta makes tax season a breeze. Will continue to use their services every tax season.

Keli D'Andrea

They have done my taxes for several years. Never had an issue except one year I did and they took care of the cost and talked with the IRS. They have always explained my taxes to me. Very helpful.

Linda Clovis, CA

Easy. Fast. Lots of locations. They treated me with kindness. However I have now gone to an independent tax professional which seems more specialized. Depends on your needs and write offs.

Kenneth Porter Baldwin Park, CA

I've used the software and ive used the sotware where I input the information and when I'm ready I forward to a licensed tax preparer for review. Both ways are great because of the support thats offered.