H&R Block Logo

6.5

Alex Columbia, SC

I filed my taxes through H&R Block twice. Both times the people were very kind and helpful. However, a few days ago I received an email stating that due to a “coding” error I owe back almost $500. They refuse to cover their mistake. The email was in no way professional and I honestly thought it was just a scam email because of it. I am not happy at all with this as I don’t have $500 to pay back and it wasn’t my mistake to begin with. I will never use H&R Block again and I will dissuade everybody I know from using their services as well.

Monica G Romero Gardena, CA

I will never use H&R block again!!! They asked me is I wanted to pay now of have the cost taken out of my refund I opted for taking it out of my refund. They screwed up on their end and never took it out. There is a reason why you ask them to take it out so it doesn't have to come out of y our pocket. Well now they say it isn't their fault! what LOSERS!!!!

Amy New Orleans, LA

WHAT A JOKE! REQUESTED ONLINE THAT THEY DO MY TAXES, TAXES GOT REASSIGNED TO ANOTHER PREPARER, SPENT 2 HOURS ON ON SATURDAY WHY I DIDNT GET MY TAXES BACK, COME MONDAY ON THE 16th AND TBEY TOLD ME WOULD TAKE ABOUT FIVE DAYS TO COMPLETE ALTHOUGH I REQUESTED 2 WEEKS AGO, HAD TO GO IN AND FINALLY GOT IT DONE, TONIGHT GOT AN EMAIL THAT ONLINE PERSON GOT IT DONE, DO THEY NOT WORK TOGETHER AND COMMUNICATE INTERNALLY! WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN

Christine Sizemore

Messed up my taxes, took forever to fix them, it was a headache, told me I should get my money back paid to them and for their mistake, my claim was denied because they fixed it! They would not have caught it if it wasn't for me. The manager lied to me and even though I have been their customer for years, they don't care. Won't pay for peace of mind so be very careful. Their tax pro was clearly unqualified. Won't use them again. I will gladly give my $442.00 to a qualified tax person and it won't be H & R Block.

KMS

I love the H&R Block tax software. Consistent quality and ability to import data from previous years is much appreciated.

Mark manners

I recomend h&r block to anyone looking for tax software. It is very user friendly and extremely helpful. I feel that it always maximizes my return.

TOM REPOLI Fairview, NJ

I went there on March 21st and was told it would be 350 to 400 dollars to do my taxes. I have only a few deductions and a few interest accounts and that's it. When I was told the price I got up and left. Last year I paid 180 dollars at my accountant but he had passed away. I went to his office and a family member took over his customers. Thank God. I was charged the same 180 dollars as last year. H&R is way overpriced. Also the person I dealt with zero personality. Save you're money

Mary Daniels Shawnee, KS

I went to H & R block for the first time. I will NEVER return. I paid $470.00 for a tax return. From a private accountant it was only 175.00. They give no estimate for the price up front and then after the time and effort of being with them you are given an astronomical bill. I will stay away and will tell all my family and friends to do the same. You also have to pay extra for "piece of mind" service. For $470.00 they should get it right.

JAQUELIN R KETOLA Port Orange, FL

Professionalism ad timeliness, location , trustworthy, excellent customer service and I was impressed with the enrolled agent

Ron Smith Salt Lake City, UT

I have used tax act and turbo tax. H andR is hands down the simplest to use. Plus when they say it's free, it is actually free.

Eli G

Walked into H&R Block to file my taxes. Woman told me that I would qualify for a 1040EZ so i’d only have to pay $55 dollars for state fee. Sounded totally reasonable at the time. When we got to the end of the filing, BAIT AND SWITCH happened and I was told because I have a 401K, i do not apply for a 1040EZ and was charged close to $200. H&R Block are master con artists who you should avoid at ALL COST! If you have legitimate tax questions, go to a CPA if you’re willing to pay these outrageous prices or simply utilize services such as TurboTax.

ANTHONY HUDSON

Went to H&R Block in St. Pete, FL at Tyrone Mall for my tax return. I sold a few stocks last year and needed some help filing. Service was good and staff was knowledgeable, but H&R Block needs to be more upfront with their fees. $282 fee for a $270 tax return is absolutely outrageous. I expected to pay a fee, but was never informed that it would be that high. Will never use or recommend any H&R Block service ever again.

John Kelly

We went there because my wife had a rollover and I wanted it handled properly. You don't pay tax on a rollover but they said we had too. According to them I owe over $11,000.00 as well as the IRS since they refused to amend my return when I actually have money owed to me. Now I have to take it to someone who knows tax law, not just how to fill out the spaces on a computer program ( Watkins ).

Dave Padua New York, NY

Gloria T - Unprofessional 82nd St. and Roosevelt (Queens, NY) Our first impression with H&R block was terrible. Had to come back 3 times to finalize our taxes. Gloria created duplicate tax form causing delays, misplaced our discount coupon, dismissed us from our appointment to meet with another client, failed to mentioned the cost for preparing our taxes and was very rude over the phone. 25 years of experience, she is very unprofessional and unorganized. Please be aware.

Ellie Hazelman

H&R Block completely screwed up our very basic tax file (1 income, 1 maternity leave income, and 1 charitable donations form) and gave us too much money back. 3 months later they called to tell us they reviewed our file and we actually owe the CRA $1400. They offered to pay our admin fees for their services next year but that does not rectify the situation because we are NEVER going back to deal with those unqualified “tax experts” again.

Lupillo Memphis, TN

I had a good experience with my tax agent in Seattle WA, unfortunately I moved to another state and been on a need to get some of my Tax copies became a nightmare, creating an account in the web almost impossible... questions that are in those copies that I need to obtain but if you do not type exactly how these were reported the system will lock you, I tried the option of going to a local office but now I have to pay 25$ for a simple copy of my documents, after I been paying over 400$ every year. I looking for another company to do my taxes.

Lisa

H&R block in Woonsocket, RI did my 80 year old mother's taxes wrong and their mistake of NOT ADDING income on Massachusetts state return is costing her one month's social security check. They refuse to pay for their mistake and tell her to pay it and they will reimburse her penalties and fees. I feel if you did the taxes you pay for the mistake. What kind of company would force a person on limited income to pay for their mistakes. THEY are the tax professionals! I would NEVER recommend anyone use them as they don't back up their work, or word. I competent.

R Michelle Cooke Bridgewater, MA

I made an appointment to speak with a tax professional at HR Block. The guy I spoke took down all my info and told me a tax person would call me the next day at 2:30. It is the next day and it is now 4:32pm and they still haven't called me. I got stood up by HR Block. She called me 2 hours later and she didn't even give me an explanation for her extreme tardiness. Totally unprofessional and disrespectful. Never use them.

Kevin

Used their software to file my 2015 tax. Was told I owe $30 in taxes, so I paid it. Months later, I receive a note from the government that I actually owe over $400, because of an amount I allegedly did not report. I went back onto the software to check if I made the mistake, and it turns out I did report the exact amount they said I didn't. Something went wrong with H&R Block's software that now costs me an additional $400+

Tina Russellville, KY

Love the software very easy to use!! The only problem is getting last years return when you file online! But with software no problems!

Tina Athens, ME

I've been with hr block for years and out of them years I've always got between 3,400 to 7,400. Back in taxes every year I apply for the emerald loan around Xmas time only twice have I gotten it and they been paid back in full every year after I got declined! This year I will be taken my taxes else where!

Carolyn Hazleton, PA

Very dependable and reliable company to use. Any issues or concerns were taken care of with highest regards to customers needs.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I have used the online tax preparation tool for my moms taxes every year for the past 4 years, it very easy and guides you every step of the way.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

H&R Block is great for helping you file your taxes. It is easy to start off on your own and reach out for help if you need it. Great service

Jec Canby, OR

Lots of locations / convenient. Smaller offices they are not there year round, only during tax season, which is frustrating when you need to get a hold of someone.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

H&R Block made filing taxes super easy from the comfort of my own home. I was able to maximize my tax return which was great!

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

As a young adult who just started doing taxes, H&R Block has made it an easy process with their help and great customer service.

janice dorvil Tallahassee, FL

I used this to fill out my taxes for this year. The process was really easy. Online there's a representative ready to help whenever you need it.

Teresa Taylor FL

I used their online service it was pretty good pretty easy.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

While the software is easy to use. This year I paid more for the software than I received a refund. I was very disappointed. This was the first year where my refund didn't cover the cost of the software. Also, this year, the direct deposit didn't work so I was forced to have a paper refund of $10 which isn't even worth the hassle and risk of going into the bank to deposit. Definitely not happy with this software this year.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

I always use H&R online for my taxes . It keeps all of my info and transfers from year to year. Super easy to use and there are guides every step of the way.

Landon Pliler Orem, UT

They made doing our taxes last year easy and cheap. They helped us get the biggest return possible. Way more than expected. We’ll definitely use them again.

Paris Salt Lake City, UT

My husband and I use H&R Block every year for our taxes. We are in College and it is very simple to follow. We love it and will continue to use them every year!

McKenzie ,

I liked the convenience of H&R Block when I needed help preparing my taxes. I feel that the customer service was good and they helped me in a timely manner. I would recommend them for simple tax solutions.

Judy Grady Gulfport, MS

All the staff was super friendly. I was very pleased with the tax preparer. Asked a lot of questions. I am confident My return was prepared accurately. Very easy.

Patrick Curry Salt Lake City, UT

Had a lot to claim on my taxes and was afraid I'd miss something so I went to H&R Block and they helped me get the maximum return and answered all my questions

cmill009 Destin, FL

Switched to from TurboTax and found H&R block to be more user friendly. I loved how quick and easy filing was and the live chat agents were very helpful.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

We used H&R Block the first time we itemized our deductions. It was nice letting someone else do our taxes, but it was more expensive than I liked. I did like that there was a guarantee, but ultimately the price is what led me to go with an independent CPA.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

H&R Block is a trustworthy tax service for personal tax preparation. I used them and was happy with the work, the returns, and the low cost. Highly recommended!

Jon Scoresby Saratoga Springs, UT

The services provided are good. I have been able to meet with professionals to get the work done. They seem to know their stuff. The one downside was the cost. It started out reasonable but over the years it has gotten more and more expensive.

Sarah Watters Quinlan, TX

I like that they guarantee that they'll get you the maximum refund and that you can go into a local office to see someone in person even if you did your taxes online using their tax software. Always satisfied.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used H&R Block in the past and they are very convenient and quick. The people are very knowlegable and can walk me through everything and let me know what to expect.

Dean Ogden, UT

I used H&R Block before switching over to Turbo Tax. After years of paying what seemed to be a lot more than I should I finally made the decision to switch. H&R Block do a great job with your taxes but they just simply charge to much. I would recommend using a different service if at all possible.

Shannon Lehi, UT

We have used H & R block for years and love the convenience and service. A little pricey when compared to other tax companies/providers but paying for convenience and trust is worth it.

Lindsey B Orem, UT

Overpriced, under serviced! They are the exact reason that I switched Tax Prep services to another provider. I paid way to much for the service that I got for pennies on the dollar from another service. I could see using H&R block if you have very complicated tax needs but if you are a basic income earner from one or two different incomes DO NOT use them!

Mauri Brewer Lehi, UT

H&R block helps me to feel confident that I am filing my tax return the way it needs to be and leaves me feeling confident that I'm getting the return I should be.

Lindsey A Brown Lehi, UT

I haven't been super impressed with H&R Block over past years. I used them a couple times but with each of my questions I felt like the expert that I was working with should know the answers and they usually didn't. I felt like I was just another number with them and they were not willing to spend an accurate amount of time with me.

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

My husband and I have been H&R Block customers for years. The service is good but the cost is very high. We did also have a year where our taxes were filed incorrectly and we needed to re-do them and re-submit although that was at no charge since they were at fault. Easy to get an appointment in evening and weekend hours.

Melissa Carreno Mesa, AZ

pretty simple and easy, used the free tax program. Would recommend. I only do the short form, so easy to complete and finish. Had no issues and pretty simple overall.

Dylan Findlay South Jordan, UT

The H&R Block tax software is very simple to use and asks all of the pertinent information. The only problem I’ve noticed is that sometimes the fees to file your state taxes seem ridiculous.