Written by Jessica Hemingway | Last Updated June 26th, 2019Our goal, here at Best Company, is to provide you with honest, reliable information you need to find companies you can trust.
Every company that offers tax software promises the lowest price and the biggest refund guarantee. In an industry that offers simply offers the same service in different formats , BestCompany wondered what makes consumer choose one tax prep service over another.
Companies in the tax preparation software industry differentiate themselves in the following ways:
- Accuracy guarantees
- Audit support
- Automatically suggested deductions
- BBB rating
- Customer support (specifically live chat)
- Filing and preparation time
- Price (at the federal and state level)
- Software + mobile options
- Tax forms offered
We surveyed 1,000 people and asked, "After price, what is the most important feature of tax software?" The below possible answers were shown in random order for people to select:
- Accuracy guarantee
- Audit risk identification
- Live chat
- Mobile App
- Number of tax forms provided
- Suggested deductions
Price was left out of our ranking because it is often the most important thing people look for. Filing time was also left out because it is often subjective to the type of tax form being filed. And the BBB rating was left out because we felt like it was not a huge differentiating factor.
Here are our results:
- 44.3% of people said that an accuracy guarantee is the most important
- 19.2% of people said that suggested deductions are the most important
- 11% of people said that an audit risk identification tool is the most important
- 9.4% of people said that a mobile app is most important
- 8.2% of people said that the number of tax forms provided is the most important
- 7.9% of people said that a live chat feature is the most important
There was not a large difference in opinions between men and women in this survey.
Younger people seemed to be more concerned about having a mobile app, and the older people surveyed wanted more tax forms provided in their tax software. However, these differences were only slight.