Netflix Logo

9.3

LAST UPDATED: December 3rd, 2021

Netflix is a streaming giant and a leader in TV and video streaming service, largely replacing cable for many subscribers around the world. It offers a large selection of television shows and movies, with a library exceeding 20,000 feature items. Netflix is continuing to expand its library of award winning original content.

Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right
Hulu Plus Logo
#4 Hulu Plus chevron_right

The Good

• Large Viewing Selection
  • Affordable Price
  • Easy of Use

Large Library Selection

Netflix has over 3,600 movies and 800 TV series available for viewing for their subscribers. Netflix users can access their entire range of shows with unlimited streaming and can have multiple users streaming at any given time. Netflix's original series (such as "Orange is the New Black", "Stranger Things", "Black Mirror", "House of Cards", or "Bojack Horseman") attract even more customers to choose Netflix as their streaming platform. Netflix tends to upload an entire season of a show at once instead of episode by episode. This is attractive for those who would prefer to binge-watch instead of waiting between episodes.

Affordable Price

Netflix has managed to maintain relatively reasonable monthly prices. As of May 2019, its most basic monthly price is $8.99. Netflix also offers standard, premium, and family packages. These packages, which cost a few more dollars a month, provide better streaming quality and the availability to stream on multiple screens at once. This is great for families or friends who would like to share their account between multiple people.

Netflix also offers a free, month-long trial which allows potential subscribers full access to their services.

Easy of Use

Subscribers can set up separate accounts for multiple viewers, including kids. This allows for parental controls to screen for inappropriate content.

Netflix has an algorithm that recommends movies and TV shows related to content the user has previously watched. A user can search for something to watch by title or genre. The interface is extremely user-friendly and intuitive.

The Bad

• Long wait periods
  • Content changes
  • Viewing quality

Long Waiting Periods

When a movie or TV show is released on traditional television or in the box office, it might take a month or up to a year to be available on Netflix. Netflix has have a lot of great features but it also has a few drawbacks to its services. Mainly, subscribers have to wait to watch new seasons of popular tv shows.

Content Changes

Netflix adds and removes content from their library all of the time. That means a favorite movie or television show is not guaranteed to always be available to stream. Movies and shows are frequently rotated, which means favorites will not always be available. You may be watching a show one day and it won't be available the next.

Viewing Quality

Netflix needs high internet speeds in order to function at its best. HD is available with Netflix's Standard and Premium packages, but Ultra HD is only available on Premium. This higher viewing quality comes at a higher monthly price.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Netflix is generally more affordable than other providers, commercial free, plays in stunning HD, and offers a free trial period for potential subscribers to test out their services. Netflix has several great original series, an excellent recommendation algorithm to help you find TV shows and movies that you'll love, and the capability to create different user accounts along with parental controls. The main drawbacks are streaming quality and having to wait for new seasons of current hit TV shows.

For more information, check out the Netflix reviews from real customers below. Netflix consistently receives high ratings from the people who use its service.

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

I love Netflix! I especially love not having to purchase cable and the availability to watch whatever I want to whenever. The only downside that I can remotely think of is the increase in prices recently, But otherwise, Netflix is one of my favorite streaming services.

Krista Griffith Tulsa, OK

Netflix is easy to use and navigate. I appreciate the many ways to find content. I also like that I can set the children's profile to the settings and ratings I feel are appropriate and don't have to worry about granddaughter coming across something too mature for her.

sunday toler Matthews, NC

I LOVE Netflix and so does my entire family. They have an awesome collection of TV shows, movies, documentaries to name a few. The price has increased but isn’t too high to date. The site is very user friendly and truly is my go-to entertainment on the daily. I love that I can watch from any device so no matter where I am I aways have something to watch. I would highly recommend. Streaming is the future. I would never pay for direct TV or companies like that when less expensive options are readily available.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

I think of Netflix as the original movie/series streaming service that has been most accessible after movie rental stores. I loved how it worked when you could rent CDs and get them delivered through mail. When this feature went away, Netflix somehow managed to trump that and stay relevant compared to its competitors! The other great features of the service are the "play something" feature, the personalized profiles, easy to navigate on the website and in the app, and the wide variety of languages content is in. The only feature I would consider a flaw is the way Netflix removes certain content to be able to add new content.

Nashali Vescovacci Fort White, FL

I absolutely love this company. It is definitely worth the price. It is very easy to navigate and have a wide variety of TV show and movie selections. I also love that this company changes the selection options every few months to offer an even greater variety for its members.

Mandy Pesce Laurelton, NJ

Netflix is by far our favorite streaming service. The speed, variety and function is by far superior to other streaming services.

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

Been with Netflix since the DVDs in the mail days & I continue to love the variety, selection & price. I have really enjoyed the new feature that lets us know when new content is coming up & lets you know when it drops!

Abigail Land Tallahassee, FL

Netflix keeps improving year after year. It is worth the money and its kid function are helpful to make sure your kids don't have access to anything inappropriate. Being able to download movies and shows for trips is great and the recommendations are usually spot on.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Netflix has so many options for different TV shows and movies. They also have almost all of the seasons for shows like Criminal Minds and Grey's Anatomy. I love that I can make a list of my favorite movies and shows to be in one spot! I love the variety of things Netflix has and for only a little bit a month.

Connor F Hernando, MS

Netflix is one of the top streaming sites out there! With the launch of top shows like Squid Game, Netflix offers a wide variety of genres in movies and TV. Netflix exclusive shows are only available on Netflix and are good. Worth the money for sure.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

i discovered netflix from my daughter in 2017 to watch stranger things. i really enjoy the variety of programs, especially cooking show. Somebody feed phil is awesome and i watch it over and over. The cost of the subsription is very low and is on my cable provider's list of streaming services so we can view it anywhere, anytime. Netflix is constantly updating its content so it has been great during Covid isolation.

Zariah Tallahassee, FL

Netflix has all great movies and shows at the tips of my fingers. I love the recommended for me feature as it provides all recommendations that I end up loving!

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I use Netflix daily to stream my television shows. They have an endless selection of all types of movies and series. I like that you are able to set up multiple profiles, so each family member can have their own. And I’m also able to control what my younger grandchildren are able to watch.

Ricardas

My favorite streaming platform. They create the best shows and helped me to survive lockdown!

KimDugan Kailua, HI

Netflix has stood the test of time by adding and growing streaming options. There are movies and TV shows new and old as well as Netflix originals that branch across the genres. I think of the streaming platforms, Netflix has the cleanest interface and most user-friendly format. Where Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus require a longer navigation to the search bar, Netflix search function is accessible from every row of shows/movies. The only downside to Netflix is it seems to have faster turnover rates for content - meaning that some streaming options are not available for as long (I assume due to licensing limitations, etc.) as other platforms, but it varies. I'm heartbroken when a lot of the options are pulled, but ultimately, I think of all of the streaming platforms, Netflix is the one that definitely will not go anywhere.

Bittermac Lawndale, CA

As streaming becomes the main way to watch TV, Netflix is kind of where you start. Several hundred hours of quality shows await. Series, movies, documentaries, and stand up comedy concerts. I watched 2 seasons of Daredevil, 2 seasons of Luke Cage, 1 season each of Jessica Jones and Iron Fist just to watch the Defenders mini series. Then back to watch a 3rd season of Daredevil, 2nd and 3rd seasons of Jessica Jones and 1 more of Iron Fist. That is well over 100 hours of tv alone! Pricing seems low for the value. Never dealt with customer service because I have never had a problem in 8 years. Highly recommended.

alexisblige Tallahassee, FL

Netflix has a pretty good price for its plans and they have been stepping up their shows recently. I wish they would stop canceling underrated shows though.

Ashley Nicole FL

Netflix has so many great original programs along with other great shows. The monthly payment is well worth it. I'm able to find new interesting things to watch daily.

bmc2z7 Columbia, MO

I love the amount of choices and the amount of different genres. There's always something I want to watch. The Netflix originals are almost always fanastic.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

I have enjoyed being a Netflix customer. They have a wide variety of shows and movies. I wish I could delete some of the shows I've started but don't plan to finish in my "continue watching" hub.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I have been with netflix since they first came out. We used to have the dvds delivered to our house. We opted in to the streaming service as soon as it was offered. Over time Netflix has continued to add amazing custom content to their service. They have also slowly ramped up the price over the years, to a point that we just don't want to pay for any longer. After almost 15+ years, we have decided to end our service with Netflix. We have pretty much watched all the content we are interested in and for the price, I cannot justify the content they currently have to offer.

JJ Jenkins Phoenix, AZ

Netflix is a great streaming device for television shows and movies. It is a very good value for the price and you can share your membership with multiple family members. It saves money from not using cable and satellite television but it has as many or more options for viewing. We don’t even own a television, but we stream our favorite tv shoes and movies on our phones using Netflix.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

I love how Netflix has upgraded within all these years. The improvements have led to my family and I being able to stream shows and movies directly from our phones, tv and laptop. This has allowed for us to access this platform pretty much anywhere we go. I also like how you're now able to download movies and shows straight from the app before you go somewhere with little to no connection; this has helped make road trips less boring. I gave Netflix four stars however, due to the shows and movies list becoming a little dull. Netflix also removes shows and movies that are good too, such as That 70s Show, The Office, etc.

Rafet Afnan Mymensingh, 34

Netflix is the latest software for streaming online. Netflix enables the window for unlimited collections of movies, series, web films, dramas, documentaries, etc. There are category-based dramas on Netflix. No advertisements. There are movies or series that you only find on Netflix no other elsewhere. Netflix is very budget-friendly. You have to subscribe yearly to enjoy unlimited resources of fun! Netflix is worth watching. I do not have any issues to dislike their service. Netflix is very convenient and they have super cool collection.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Had them for years, there service never goes down and their introduction of shows they produce themselves provides an A+ lineup.

Doreen Mayenga Jersey City, NJ

Netflix has generated incredible streaming shows for the affordable monthly price that provides endless entertainment daily.

Richard Cunningham Hamilton, HC

I love this company - many awesome shows available at a great price. Constantly being updated too. Give it a try for great tv options!

G GA

A wide array of shows and movies although some of them have never even heard of before seems to use too much broadband with all of the no-name movies price is a little too high compared to competitors but still huge selection makes it worth it. Watching a show you love in its entirety ,it's really worth the price by itself

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

We've had good luck with Netflix. The selection is pretty good and I like the ease of the app. It's super easy to find the last show you were watching!

noas Tel Aviv, TA

easy to use, variety of content that updates regularly

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We use Netflix almost on a daily basis, I use it on my computer when I am away from home and everyone else uses it at home. There is plenty of selection for everyone from child to adults. I like the documentaries, my wife loves the drama series and movies. The value is just right for us and we recommend Netflix for anyone.

DealStar Salt Lake City, UT

I've been with Netflix since as far back as my memories can take me as far as digital options for viewing are concerned, and I will never not be a customer. With or without a pandemic to keep us all inside, Netflix has been my "go-to" for home entertainment. I find the subscription cost to be justified and content to be aligned with my interests. Netflix truly is a god-send, and is the industry standard for streaming.

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I like Netflix because you can make your own account, the step is great, they show you shows and movie they recommend for you. And you can have favorite or you can scroll to pick categories of either the show or movies you want to watch. They have a kids section. I think it perfect for anybody no matter the age they have movies and shows for everyone. Also the monthly payment for Netflix is not bad at all.

Christine Vrooman Troy, NY

Shame on you Netflix! How could you take advantage of faithful patrons who depend on your services to get through a pandemic. Really! Netflix undoubtedly profited during from this pandemic and increased members. Therefore, Netflix mind as well take advantage of the situation even more by increasing g rates? Have a heart and empathy towards your loyal patrons and new members. Have Netflix forgotten that we are in the middle of a pandemic? People are mostly unemployed, facing foreclosure, maintains home schooled children. “God” don’t like ugly! or greed! Most people resorted to becoming a Netflix member because it was meeting their financial budget. Not to mention keeping their children occupied with movies without added expense. . What a betrayal for those joining Netflix during a pandemic. The public mind as well joined their local cable service or shopped online for DVD’s. Unfortunately, for Netflix your greed will cause more of your members to cancel. As like me, I’m retired and on a fixed income. Some are living without income. Netflix, this is not the time to increase rates. Netflix will benefit more remaining at the $12.99-$15.99 rate which most can afford. At the end of the day, Word of Mouth Rules far better than unexpected rate increase. Sometimes, America can be so greedy and consumed materialistically. However, most consumers seek a bargain within their budget. This pandemic is, in my opinion, God’s way of saying “stop and observe your life” and it’s rewards. However, ..... no one is listening. Netflix, try putting the people first, for a change. Be safe! From a concerned member! On Saturday, January 30, 2021, Netflix Hi CHRISTINE, We’re updating our prices to bring you more great entertainment. Your monthly price will increase by $2 to $17.99 on February 28, 2021. During a pandemic Netflix would be cruel and a betrayal to increase rates. Netflix is profiting greatly as is and does not need to increase rates at this time. People and devoted patrons and new members deserve patients abs understanding during this difficult time. better!

melrose1989 Carterville, IL

I love netflix. We canceled direct tv because of everything netflix and other streaming apps allow us to watch and they are extremely fair in price!

Janice Blakely Norman, OK

Content of shows has deteriorated continually In recent years, and it has become much harder to find something good to watch. I suspect, however that your loss of a half million subscribers is due to the $100,000,000 deal (contract) with Mrs & Mr Me-gain Markle. Beware, you will be rewarded with empty coffers. Me and my family will never watch anything produced by that despicable couple. I don't read their books either. Get rid of those liars and improve your programming so I can continue to watch DOLLY Parton on Netflix.

Toni Montuori

NETFLIX is still awesome after all these years. I can always find something that tweaks my interest. The website/app is user friendly and the price is still Uber great for what you get

Q Fort Worth, TX

Netflix Always Starts a Show But Never Finishes It , They will Reel You in To a Good Show , and Leave You Hanging Off a Cliff !!! If they could Ever make a show that Actually Follow Up On They Might Be A Good Choice , But if You Like to Watch Shows that Are 2 or 3 Seasons with No Endings This Might Be What You Are Looking For !!!! Punisher, Santa Clarita Diet, LAs Finest , Etc . ETC

Jodianna Maitland, FL

I like how I can watch tons of old and new tv shows and movies! They also have a feature where I can download something now and watch it later without needing to have a connection to service. The only downside is that they take a while to update new shows and sometimes get rid of movies or tv shows for no reason.

crunchyfrogs Livingston, TX

Netflix gives members access to thousands of movies and series. The platform could improve by a few simple alterations. The "My List" section should be divided between movies and series. There should be a separate section for foreign language content so it's not mixed in with the English language content. My biggest complaint is that Netflix must feel that adding filthy language and explicit sex increases customer appeal. This is not true. I was excited to see Netflix pick up Designated Survivor because it was one of my favorite series. However, when Netflix took over it was unrecognizable. All the filthy language and explicit sex scenes managed to lose me as a viewer within two episodes. Netlix, we are not all perverts!

Arion Session-Walker Tallahassee, FL

Netflix has affordable plans for anyone to stream any shows or movies .

Crystal Menzie Tallahassee, FL

I love that Netflix has options when it comes to watching TV Shows or movies.

Lisa C Johnson Catonsville, MD

Netflix has so many movies to watch that it is impossible to see them all. One negative is that sometimes before you have a chance to finish a movie with many series, it will disappear never to appear again. So its important to watch the series quickly in case they take it away. However, a positive is when you go away for vacation you could watch Netflix on tv where ever you are. We like Netflix but you can be overwhelmed by the amount of movies. I have never had a reason to call customer service.

Corbin Short ,

Netflix is obviously a very innovative digital streaming business model. I have been using them since the days of actually ordering DVDs. Netflix provides a great product, one that I am on at least every other night. I will say this: they offer the minimum amount of entertainment to keep me paying what I am paying every month. When the streaming wars started, it was left in the air whether or not Netflix would be something I continue to pay for. Right when I am getting bored with the content on Netflix, they upload something that is just entertaining enough to get me watching again. Kind of sucks, but I guess it works out.

Steven Shimmin

Great company, great monthly bill, easy to navigate the site and watch good movies

Doug Foerch Libertyville, IL

It’s a little expensive if your not into their Series shows. However, they do have some very good movies.

Julia Halliday Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Netflix for the past 9 months and have been very pleased with how it runs. Netflix has TONS of movies and TV shows to watch. I usually have no problem finding something to watch every time I watch Netflix. I like Netflix better than Amazon Prime because Amazon Prime has very few free choices for movies and/or TV shows. Most times I use Netflix rather than Prime because I don't want to pay to watch that particular show. I'd rather pay a monthly fee and not have to pay for extra things. Netflix charges $8.99/month and you don't have to make any extra payments which is really nice. The one thing that is frustrating is the fact that Netflix doesn't keep all of its shows on the service at the same time. They take shows off every once in a while, which can be rather annoying if you want to watch a show and only have a few weeks left to watch it before they take it off of Netflix. However, the Netflix originals are usually always available, and fun to watch, and even if a TV show or movie you like gets taken off for a little while, you can usually find something else you like to watch!

Sui Allex Englishtown, NJ

Netflix charged me a high premium and when I called to dispute the charge, customer service did not resolved my issue and cancelled the service without refunding me. This is the worst service I ever got from any company. I would NOT recommend Netflix to any friends and family. You should reconsider and go with Hulu and other medium of streaming. Netflix id profiting from me and you and giving such back service.

Melanie P

They have gone seriously down hill over the years. Now they have gotten greedy and taken away free trial and they charge your account the day before your due date. They are taking off shows people like to put on crap boring shows. I am fed up and they are greedy mean corporate people who only care about money and themselves so we all know where they will end up.

Brian Phelps Enfield, NH

Netflix Raised their Prices during the Pandemic not by a little to premium members but by double. They have no content and could care less. They slowed down the DVD Deliveries so they made more but you watched less. They took away the ease of watching Netflix on the road. their 2 point authentication locks you out until you can get a hold of a person or customer service associate which they obviously don't have. It's a better price to have Disney plus, Amazon Prime, and Hulu then Just to have Netflix which never updates and changes it's pricing whenever they hit financial hardship in the company. In conclusion if Netflix wants to save itself Update Movies! Don't keep changing your prices, and bring back the way you used to do things. Keep up with the times at this rate you're going to be the next Blockbuster