Hulu Plus Logo

7.0

LAST UPDATED: September 17th, 2021

Hulu (aka Hulu Plus) is a leading streaming TV service that offers live TV, live sports, Hulu original shows and movies, as well as classic and new offerings from top cable TV and premium channels. The company provides both ad-free and ad-supported subscription plans, a free 30-day trial for all packages, and the opportunity to bundle its streaming services with other streaming providers.

Netflix Logo
#1 Netflix chevron_right
Amazon Prime Logo
#2 Amazon Prime chevron_right
YouTube Logo
#3 YouTube chevron_right

The Good

• Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows
  • Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available
  • Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month
  • Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons
  • Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Expansive Library of Movie Options and TV Shows

In addition to its growing library of Hulu original movies and TV shows, Hulu offers subscribers a formidable catalog from some of the biggest names in television, including 21st Century Fox, The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal, CBS Corporation, The CW, Turner Networks, A+E Networks and Discovery Networks, and the following channel lineup:

• ABC
  • Travel Channel
  • USA
  • VH1
  • WGN America

In most cases, subscribers can gain access to newly aired episodes of their favorite shows the day after they air. All streaming content is available through the Hulu app, available via mobile device, computer, or smart TV.

Ad-Free and Live TV Options Available

Each of Hulu's subscription plans offer the first month free. After that, subscribers could pay anywhere between $5.99 to $64.99 per month, depending on their subscription plan:

• Hulu ($5.99 per month) — full access to streaming library via TV, laptop, phone, or tablet; supports up to six user profiles and simultaneous streams on two devices.
  • Hulu (No Ads; $11.99 per month) — all the features of the standard Hulu plan, plus no ads or commercials, as well as the ability to download and watch content for offline viewing.
  • Hulu + Live TV Plan ($64.99 per month) — no cable required to access more than 65 live channels as well as a live TV guide; record live TV with 50 hours of cloud DVR storage.

Bundle with Disney+ and ESPN+ for $12.99 per Month

Hulu customers have the option to bundle Hulu's streaming services with Disney+ and ESPN+ for only $12.99 per month (still cheaper than Netflix and as expensive as Amazon Prime). This streaming bundle gives users access to Disney's complete library, including the Marvel and Star Wars franchises, as well as ESPN's full 30 for 30 series, along with live sports channels.

Premium Channels Available as Add-Ons

For an additional fee, Hulu subscribers can add premium channels like HBO Max, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, and STARZ for hit movies, series, and documentaries. For Hulu + Live TV subscribers, add-ons come with unlimited screens, enhanced DVR storage, entertainment add-ons, and Español add-ons.

Student Discount for $1.99 per Month

Active college students qualify for Hulu's student discount, which reduces the cost of the ad-supported plan ($5.99 per month) down to $1.99 per month. Students should note, however, that Hulu does not provide a free trial on its student discount option.

The Bad

Ads and Commercials

The only drawback to Hulu's basic plan is the presence of commercials. These usually only play at the beginning of episodes or movies; however, for newly aired episodes, short ads will play periodically throughout the show. If customers wish to enjoy their viewing experience without ads, they can opt for the ad-free version which is comparable to other ad-free streaming services like Netflix in price.

The Bottom Line

With Hulu, a subscriber can gain access for original content, a live TV streaming service, and thousands of viewing options for as little as $5.99 per month. Users should be prepared to pay more for an ad-free viewing experience, and about about much as they would for any other live streaming service. The ability to bundle with other streaming platform services like Disney+ and ESPN+ offers customers a unique viewing library, and the free trial, cancel anytime policy allows users to try Hulu risk-free.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Hulu Plus is way too expensive and they keep raising their prices. They offer very little on their cheaper plans, so you have to spend a lot of money to be able to watch most stuff. Hulu doesn't care about their customers, they are just greedy!!!!! They need to keep politics out of their business!!!!!!

Troy Jeffers Santa Claus, IN

When it works, it is wonderful. But I have had 2 major issues. My ISP like most provides me with a dynmaic IP. The issue with this is that it causes Hulu to think you are in a new location each time that your IP address changes. That means that you have to use 1 of your initial 4 home changes. The home changes reset each year. I ended up using all 4 in one month. The other major issue is that by using IP to determine location, my IP address is apparently "a place of business" which means that I do not get all my channels. I could fix it by resetting my router to get a new IP, but that would require another home location change, which I have none of. The picture quality is as good as satellite and more reliable.

Elisabeth Coos Bay, OR

Think your Hulu account is safe? So did we, we were wrong. Dead wrong. I turned on the TV and got a message that I couldn't watch Hulu because too many devices already were. Too bad not one of them belonged to us! It turns out less than 5 of the devices on this list belong to us, the others? Who knows, Hulu doesn't know and it was just made painfully obvious by two customer service agents that Hulu does not care either. Not only did some one else use our Hulu account for free, Hulu won't look in to it and they don't think we should be compensated for their unsecured system either. If you think your account is safe, think again. Go online to hulu.com/devices and see for yourself. I hope this is going to be enough to shame Hulu into caring more about their paying customers than they clearly care about others who are not paying for anything and are freely scamming those that do pay. I have no plans to keep Hulu after this and continue to pay for a service that freely allows unauthorized devices to use my account for free and refuse to assist me in safeguarding my account from other further breaches. Obviously having my login info in another language wasn't enough depsite using Norton's antivirus and calling their help line was a waste of time. Their customer service is just about the worst there is. When I called in the first person I spoke with was way too cheerful (Like it was forced cheerfulness) this csa could not stop talking in circles and repeating the same line over and over. Needless to say in reading her script she missed the part where you help the caller by listening to what's being said as much as she missed the bit where you aren't going to have a postive call if you insult the callers intelligence. She did apologize for that when I brought this to her attention, however that does not excuse the fact that it happened in the first place. I was also told in the beginning of the call that she could handle getting a credit on my account for the trouble and would be happy to do that. As the call dragged on and continued to spiral out of control I requested a floor manager to speak with. Sadly things did not improve from there. The floor manager was incredibly snide and downright snarky even with his tone. After I gave a short explanation of the current situation that we never used a public device or gave our login information out he started off by telling me "oh well that would mean your account was hacked.". (I had already figured as much.) I was relieved that he understood what had happened unlike his csa. Next he told me "well we don't credit for this kind of thing.". After she had stated they would do so. This is called a false promise and most companies frown on such practices, apparently Hulu is not that kind of company. The very next problem according to him was the fact that I had to delete all of the devices from our account because I didn't know who all was on watching it when I wanted to use the service and that wiped the history, even though they said they could see 8 pages back and then he told me "yeah well it would take a subpoena to our legal dept and that won't happen." for me to find out how someone hacked our account. And that was from the floor manager! All in all it sure sounded like they could do more than he was willingly to. As well as see what was going on and just refused to take any responsibility for this breach of security and my trust. As for the csa struggling with her script reading rather than addressing the problems at hand I am sure more training can address the issues she had on the call. However I can see no reason or proper course or action for such rude and unprofessional behaviour on the part of that manager. If this is the best Hulu can do, I'll use Netflix from now on.

Gary Johns Big Rapids, MI

I was a Hulu member and enjoyed the service. Then Hulu decided to change things. They had what was called a queue. When a show you subscribed to had a new episode or you marked a movie to see it added it to your queue so every show season I would review the new offerings and click to add the new. When I was ahead on my viewing the queue would be empty. It required no thought & if I wanted more I could add it. Then one day the Queue was gone. There was no list of what I needed to watch, only the picture for the shows I favorited. I would have to make a manual list of the day of the week so I could know when to expect a new episode and I would have to maintain a list of what I had watched. At the time they pulled this stunt, I had been on vacation for 2 weeks and had about 20 series I was following I had about 10 movies I intended to see. I had no idea what I had watched already, some I had fallen behind on, some were old series I discovered and added 5 seasons of episodes but where I was was lost and Customer Service was of no help. There Facebook page was flooded with complaints. I was reading them and people began responding to the people who were upset because Hulu wasn't. I bookmarked a few and felt bad for the victims of this poor decission. Then Hulu began deleting the negative comments. I told a few people thier comments would be deleted and found myself banned from thier page, at that I canceled my subscription with Hulu but it did not stop with the ban on Facebook. I was using a friend's computer and noticed a page discussing how great Hulu's new innovative layout was so awesome. There were 3 comments on the page and one poor guy said he wished they had the queue back and how he lost all his places & customer service stunk. I got home, pulled up the link and the comment section was gone. I made a 2nd account on my computer and could see the comment section once again. I then logged into FB on the new account and the comments were gone. It seems Hulu uses an image eforcer and if they don't like what you say they can assure Hulu they'll get rid of your comment within 15 minutes. The company is called Brand Bastion and it will follow your cookies from your FB login and block content from your view lest you make another negative comment about thier stupid bonehead moves apparently that king does not like to hear he has no clothes. I will never use thier service again.

Tamara Chicago, IL

Be careful with Hulu. Although they say that it cost only $7.99/month, they also will try to sell you into buying the commercial free pack which is an additional $4.00/month. I am warning people who click commercial free without thinking about the cost. Thankfully I found out about it on my current free trial period (once it is done, I would have had to pay them $13.07/month. ALSO: They do not have good movies and TV shows that I believe should be on streaming service like HULU. Although their catch is "Catch up", there are several TV shows that they have not posted as well as the movie selection is horrible.

Sarah Lehi, UT

No matter how much you pay, you will always get ads. It's absolutely horrendous that the amount of ads only changes slightly from each level of payment that you do for Hulu. I immediately upgraded to Hulu plus because of how deeply their 80 second commercials bothered me and was horrified to find that i still got ads! I've never seen a company get away with treating their customers as horribly as Hulu does and am completely unhappy with their streaming services. From now on I will only be using Netflix and will find all of the shows that are "exclusively" on Hulu elsewhere. It's not hard.

Beth Timms Dahlonega, GA

Very poor. They use bait and switch. They offer the low streaming then and upgraded to no commercials. When you try to stream something you get an error message your subscription does not cover. When I called, they wanted me to upgrade to a $29.99 package. Which i did not. I do not like anything about Hulu. Will be switching over Amazon Firestick shortly.

Casey Bacon Walnut Creek, CA

Hulu is awful. The connection freezes all the time. I have called and called. It is common among their complaints. I have a internet connection of 150mbs.... nothing is slow for me and yet I can't stream hulu on my TV.... Ridiculous.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

I quit subscribing to Hulu after only a week. Very few options of things to watch. I don't know what more to say other than that. I didn't use it for very long and I won't ever use it again.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

I do not like Hulu. I find it ridiculous that I have to pay to watch their shows, and then I STILL get advertisements. I have since moved on to YoutubeTV and have been much happier.

Hannah Elliott Mona, UT

Hulu took off "Rupaul's Drag Race" without any warning so I'm just a tad bit bitter about that. Just kidding, I'm furious.

steve Richmond, MI

This place is a RIP OFF!. Dpo not deal with HULU because you will be sorry. READ REVIEWS on internet. They Suck!

RYS Portland, OR

Be warned. Hulu will charge your account a day early. Do not trust their terms and conditions.

hmarashi Newark, NJ

I absolutely loathe the ads on Hulu Plus, it’s PLUS for gods sake why am I still seeing advertisements.