HBO Now

HBO Now

HBO Now is a stand-alone streaming TV service for people who do not currently pay for cable TV (like Netflix and Amazon Prime). Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO's content at any time from anywhere. Now you can have higher quality movies without a cable TV contract.

The Good

• High quality movies and tv series
  • Variety of devices available
  • Many original series

High Demand Quality Content

HBO has done a great job of making their past and present content available online. HBO Now currently has over 650 high-quality movies and almost 100 TV series.

Parental Controls

Parents have the ability to filter new releases, but there are some bugs editing out some of the older television shows and movies.

Variety of Devices

HBO Now is available on the following devices: iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Android phones and tablets, Android TV, Amazon Fire tablets, TV, Fire Stick, web browser, Chromecast, and Roku.

Original Series

HBO Now has over 125 original series for subscribers to enjoy. These series are exclusive to HBO and will not be available through any other streaming tv service.

Overall, HBO Now is a great alternative for someone interested in HBO content. It can be streamed on a wide variety of devices and is reasonably priced for high-quality content. Subscribers have unlimited access to all of HBO anywhere without a TV provider contract.

The Bad

• Streaming issues
  • Higher price
  • Smaller library selection

Price

HBO Now costs $14.99. This is a little more expensive than other streaming services, but HBO Now offers high quality of movies and TV series.

Library Selection and Variety

With HBO Now, subscribers are only going to get access to HBO-driven content. HBO Now doesn't offer the same high volume as some of their competition. However, they do offer over 650 movies and almost 100 TV series to choose from.

Streaming Issues

HBO Now is known to have streaming issues at peak times. In some cases, users may have to restart the app, their device, or even uninstall and reinstall the app altogether.

View Top Rated Companies

The Bottom Line

If you don't have a current HBO subscription, and you want access to a great deal of HBO content, HBO Now is a great option to satisfy that need. HBO Now is a great way to extend your current cable subscription if you want to drop HBO from your current cable provider.

Also, HBO Now can be streamed on a large variety of devices, but the services are not the most competitive if you are looking for a large library of movie options.

We recommend reviewing the top rated companies before making a final decision.

38 HBO Now Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 27th, 2017 Batesville, AR

HBO has plenty of shows I'd like to watch. Impossible due to their streaming issues. 20 seconds of stream, 1 minute buffer....repeat. I'm canceling and am surprised at HBO's arrogance. Netflix nor Amazon have problems like they do.

July 17th, 2017

The good: Great selection of original content worth $15/month in my opinion. The bad; Shows often unwatchable per constant buffering with wireless connection regardless of your internet speed / signal strength. Assume you will need a wired connection from your router, otherwise don't bother.

July 2nd, 2017

Can't get 2 minutes into a movie without it stopping to buffer. It has stopped 3 times already, and I'm less than 7minutes into a movie. If I weren't on a free 30day trial, I would have already cancelled and asked for a refund. This is the worst streaming experience, for the worst price, with the least amount of content. I've had problems with this from day 1 and less than a week later, I'm pretty sure I'll be cancelling before the 30days is even expired. HBO should absolutely feel ashamed at even attempting to offer a streaming standalone service. I don't think it's worth $15/mo, I can't even see myself being okay paying $5/mo. Pathetic is the one word I can safely sum up what an utter travesty this is.

2 0

June 23rd, 2017

The selection of movies and shows does not change very often and many can be found on other streaming services. Their series are only so-so with short seasons and their alleged "late night" fare is tepid with the same never changing Latino based adult series and only two or three very dumb softcore movies. The largest issue with this service is... the service itself. Constant buffering problems, bad connectivity and playback issues. I have very fast landline internet and I cannot watch more than a few minutes of any movie or other program without having issues. On my wi-fi devices it is even worse. When you talk to customer service they are full of excuses as to why it has to be something on your end of the service that is causing the issue. They don't want to hear anything negative about their service despite the fact I can get faster and better service from their competition. I have cancelled my HBO Now subscription as of today and will stick with Amazon and other higher quality providers.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

HBO has several of my top favorite shows of all time. They create great original content. I feel like I can pickup and watch almost anything they produce and I will like it. I would say that HBO Now has become my go-to video streaming service. While the search function really needs some help on the xbox, they have the best movies and tv shows available on any streaming service by far.

0 1

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I really like the HBO shows, and HBO Now has made it so I can watch it on my iPad. I can’t get enough of Game of Thrones and True Detective. I just wish I had more time to watch my shows.

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love HBO Now, HBO has the greatest movies and excellent original TV shows. I love being able to watch my shows on the go. I also love being able to use it on my Roku. For a long time I had to plug my laptop up to my TV with an HDMI to watch HBO on my TV. A lot easier with the app!

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

HBO is not my favorite. They do not have a good selection of tv shows or movies. Also, the connection is poor. They are not worth the money.

May 18th, 2017 Tyler, TX

Absolutely worthless. Always have playback issues or connection issues. If you do manage to get something to play then it stops in the middle of a movie and won't let you finish it. Don't waste your money.

May 16th, 2017

Only have 5 good tv shows, takes forever to load new seasons! Terrible movie selection, only has 5 new movies on there and I own them. Just plain shitty selection. And Idk why HBO are tight wadds. If you make a season put 20 episodes on it! Quit with this bullshit 10 episode seasons!(Trash)

April 28th, 2017 Davenport, IA

HBO has some great shows, but HBO Now is probably a couple years away from being a viable, reliable service yet. Specific shows would not stream on my Roku. When I tried to open Game of Thrones or Oz it went to a screen which said "Retrieving", where it stayed for a few minutes until the app crashed. I contacted support. Almost immediately I got a response. But that response was asking for all kinds of nonsense information. What version of the Roku software did I have? What version of the app? And most ridiculous of all, what was my IP address? It's called a "log file". Look into it. All of that is in the information contained in YOUR server's log files. What's more, most customers don't even know what an IP address is. And if they do, theirs probably keeps changing as most are not static. I responded immediately with all the requested information. EIGHT DAYS LATER I got a second response. They needed MORE information. Log files, guys. Log files. Selection is not bad. If you have a problem, however, it's apparently forever. Support is under staffed and incompetent as far as I can tell. 8 days of being unable to use one of the most expensive streaming services there is with no hint of it actually being fixed yet is ludicrous.

January 2nd, 2017 Portsmouth, OH

Streaming issues Higher price Smaller library selection Why can't HBO Now model this like Netflix? Piss poor Management? I play Netflix and My Time Warner App on my 2016 Roku TV without the above mentioned issues. Why? Super, top notch Management. Yeah I'll put up with the HBO Now App Issues during the free trail but for Everytime I have Streaming issues the angrier I get and before the free trail is over I'll uninstall it then I'll share my nightmare experience with My Family, Friends, Co Workers Everyone I come in contact with. Now multiple that times thousands. Now ask yourself this Question Management of HBO Now. What will I have to do, What do I need, to model this piss poor app to have 43 Million Subsribers like the near perfect Netflix? Now get to work and fix it. Zero tolerance for blatant Stupidity. Just fix it Now.

December 26th, 2016 Anniston, AL

Streaming issues. I have a very fast internet connection 100mbs but HBO now constantly stops and starts. I also am subscribed to Netflix , Hulu and sling and have no problem streaming from those account s.

December 4th, 2016 Sherman Oaks, CA

The crappiest streaming out there!!! I have all the streaming channels and guess what? They all work EXCEPT FOR THIS ONE!!! Utter, utter frustration! Go to their help page and they'll try to tell you it's your wifi signal- it's not! Couldn't get my favorite series "Sex in the City" to stream for more than a few minutes w/ out buffering endlessly! Found the whole series on Amazon and no problemo! Streamed just fine. Pathetic service and would expect way, way more from a company like this. I've cancelled my subscription twice and now am on my 3rd hoping that they'd have their shit together by now (12/3/16)- THEY DON'T! Save your money and frustration level and just avoid it. Will be canceling 3rd subscription now.

November 15th, 2016 Decatur, GA

This app is poorly set up trying to access to the shows you want can be difficult. The rewind and forward capabilities are poor compared to Netflix or Amazon and the signal must be weak at times unwatchable.

November 5th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Wanted to see Obama on Bill Mayer. Ended up watching it on YouTube even though I pay $15/month for HBO Now. Because it is not Now. Should be called HBO Later. The episode aired 10pm eastern and here it is 11:15pm pacific 4 hours and 15 minutes later the episode is still not available to watch.

October 28th, 2016

They literally won't let you download it unless you have an apple device or a tablet when it clearly says on their website that you can use your computer. That is blatant false advertising. I guess I can't pay to watch Game of Thrones, my money just isn't good enough for HBO.

October 19th, 2016

Trying to redeem Costco TV's HBO NOW credit since Aug. 25 and today is Oct 19. I've been getting the run around and no one wants to be accountable. Very, very poor. We love Costco and have always gotten great customer service from them. Perhaps HBO Now can learn from Costco...

September 30th, 2016 Raleigh, NC

Very limited selection of movies. Also, the movies are not updated fast enough at least for me. I have watched almost all of the movies in the SCI-FI category. Not much has been updated. They do have some really good box office blockbusters along with a mix of lame 1 or 2-star movies. Its seems that along with good content several are not so good thus "watering down" the quality of the content with cheap fillers. If it wasn't for Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and possibly Westworld I would not be a subscriber. So the conclusion is for me to look for other methods to watch my favorite TV shows without feeling ripped off. As for going back to having a dedicated cable or subscriber service, there is about a 99% chance this will never happen. We had been paying almost 200.00 per month. Granted we had just about every movie channel out there to watch. We came to the fact this was a massive waste of money going to the greedy as hell cable companies. 50.00 a month to watch everything would be fair! 50.00 without the added fees, (Allowance for robbery fee, Fee for paying for a fee. Fee for paying with money. Fee for taxes after we already have paid our taxes fee.

August 6th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

Streaming on Roku is just awful. All other streaming channels work fine, but HBO Now buffers constantly and sometimes it just stops altogether. You can't rewind or fast forward withou huge buffering times and freezes. The content is limited and only one or two movies worth watching. I'm not sure it's worth the monthly fee and am considering cancelling it.