Written by Natalie Mootz | Last Updated June 26th, 2019Natalie has been writing for the web since dinosaurs roamed the earth. Or at least since dinosaurs achieved blogging technology. She's also written for About.com and Joystiq.
Beloved BBC series are renewed
Never fear, Doctor Who fans! Netflix has renewed your beloved show to continue streaming, thanks to your petitions to renew the BBC contract. Luthor, another BBC show on the bubble, has also been renewed.
Some other BBC shows didn't make the cut. Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, MI-5, and Red Dwarf won't be available after January 31.
Available TV shows in February include:
- Classic Doctor Who as well as seasons 1-7
- Copper seasons 1-2
- House of Cards trilogy
- Keeping Up Appearances
- Monarch of the Glen seasons 1-6
- North & South
- Robin Hood seasons 1-3
- The Buccaneers
- The Office (U.K.) seasons 1-2
- Top Gear seasons 17-20
- Torchwood seasons 1-4
- Wallander seasons 1-3
A boatload of GenX nostalgia TV & movies added
Find yourself longing for grunge music and flannel shirts? Swing dancing at the (now-demolished) Derby? Or a super curly frizzed-out perm (as long as it comes with a side of Patrick Swayze)?
And what about you Millenials jonesing for some 80's fashion tips? Or maybe you're curious to see what Cher looked like before her myriad face lifts? Or PeeWee Herman before... um, okay, we won't go there.
Everyone go Footloose because Netflix is gonna hook you up! Here are some throwback movies and television that Netflix has in store for you this month, along with a few pop culture references in case these shows were released before you were born.
- Friends - Ever wonder why Jennifer Anniston is a star?
- Dirty Dancing - These days it would be called something like "Rated PG Dancing."
- Footloose - Kevin Bacon. 'Nuff said.
- Notting Hill - This is what rom-coms looked like in the 20th Century.
- Moonstruck - Cher and Nic Cage with big, crazy hair.
- Fried Green Tomatoes - It's not really about the tomatoes.
- Swingers - The most hilariously awful voicemail ever left during the course of human history.
- Pee-Wee's Big Adventure - Paul Ruebens used to wear a lot of makeup and lose his bike.