U-Haul Logo

9.4

U-Haul specializes in providing moving and storage resources to families and individuals across the country. Its storage units are priced affordably, payments are accepted online, and they have 24-hour gate access. U-Haul is a great storage unit option due to its low pricing and easy access across the United States.

Public Storage Logo
#3 Public Storage chevron_right
4.0
Life Storage Logo
#4 Life Storage chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Average Prices
  • 24 hour Gate Access
  • Climate Control Available

Average Prices

U-Haul offers storage units at affordable prices. For example, a 10x10 ground level drive-up storage unit is going to cost roughly $90 per month (this can vary slightly depending on location). These prices are low compared to the rest of the storage unit industry. Most U-Haul locations offer its customers with the first-month storage for free, coupled with one-way equipment rentals. No deposit is required, and all payments are made online. Other than the standard dry and clean storage units, additional features that can be purchased includes climate control.

24-Hour Gate Access

While standard front-office hours do exist (for example, from 7am to 7pm - depending on location) U-Haul storage units are available for user access 24/7, including weekends and holidays. Locks are also available for purchase, along with other moving supplies including boxes, tape, and padding. Another benefit of going with U-Haul is your direct access to a wide variety of moving trucks and other equipment.

Climate Control Available

U-Haul provides customers with the option to store their belongings in climate controlled units. This is a valuable amenity, especially for customers who are concerned with leaving their belongings in a unit exposed to extreme changes in temperature or humidity.

The Bad

• Only 5 Unit Size Options Available
  • Level of Security Depends on Location
  • No Unit Upkeep
  • Reimbursement Undisclosed

Only Five Unit Size Options Available

U-Haul only offers 5 unit sizes. This is a relatively average amount compared to other competing storage unit companies. The sizes and their descriptions are as follows:
  • 5' x 5' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a trailer (example trailer size 4' x 8') or those looking to store seasonal items.
  • 5' x 10' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a 10' moving truck and are looking to store roughly 1 bedrooms worth of items.
  • 10' x 10' Storage Unit: Designed for roughly 2 bedrooms worth of space, taking up roughly a 17' moving truck.
  • 10' x 15' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a 20' moving truck and roughly 3 bedrooms worth of items.
  • 10' x 20' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a 26' moving truck and up to 4 bedrooms worth of items.

Level of Security Depends on Location

The level of security offered can vary depending on location. Most units typically offer both electronic gates and individually alarmed rooms. Comparing to other competing storage unit companies who may offer video surveillance, individual door alarms, security patrol, etc. this can be less than is desired. Before choosing a storage unit from U-Haul, it would be best to confirm with a representative of the location you're researching to confirm what security options are available.

No Unit Upkeep

Depending on your location, unit upkeep can be a factor. This can vary based on a number of factors, including the age of the unit, the climate the unit is in, etc. While online pictures are a good starting point to seeing what a storage unit has to offer as far as upkeep is concerned, it's strongly recommended to see a storage unit in-person before making any financial commitments.

Reimbursement Undisclosed

Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm any details surrounding potential reimbursement plans.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a well-known brand that specializes in providing moving and storage resources across the country. Its storage units are well priced, payments are accepted online, and they offer 24-hour gate access. U-Haul provides solid storage units due primarily to its affordable pricing and easy access throughout the United States.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

I have used U-haul to store my belongings in-between my semesters at college. It has always been very easy to reserve or access my storage unit when it comes time to move out. It is kept clean and I have never had issues with the items I store.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

Our family has moved several times over the last few years and U-Haul is the first company we will call for our moving needs! They always have the truck size we need and the pick-up and drop off process is always convenient and hassle free! We have found it hard to find a company that competes with this service!

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

This company is just ehhh. The customer service was ridiculous. They tried to charge me a cleaning fee because there was a little dirt from a move. I laughed and asked for a broom and saved myself money by sweeping it out myself. It took over an hour to take off the cleaning fee from my ticket because I did it myself.

Mason Mitchell Fayetteville, AR

Everytime I move, I rent a U-Haul to make it all in one trip. It saves me a ton of time and effort. I wish there were more size option available because my truck is either way too big or not big enough.

Bchell Midvale, UT

They are always a great company to rent trucks and trailers from. I love that you can check them back in on off hours by using their app. Great company to work with, they always have what you need.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

We needed short term storage (2 months) after a recent move. We were very satisfied with the value and customer service offered by U-Haul. They had convenient locations in our city and good options of storage units that were perfect for our needs. We also rented a truck and trailer from them and were happy with the whole experience.

PPennington Atlanta, GA

I've been storing with U-haul/Your Extra Attic for 5 years. The managers are very polite and easy to talk to. Someone is always there if you have a problem. The rates are reasonable, and they give incentives for referring customers. The one in East Cobb County, Marietta, Ga is the best!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We helped my sister move home this Summer. We knew to go straight to U-Haul to get a U-Box t to get her stuff home to Utah. The rates were reasonable and it's so helpful to be able to pick how many U-Box's we needed to fit all of her belongings to store in UT till she had a move in date.

Benjamin Taliulu Salt Lake City, UT

I was going through a divorce and needed a place to store my stuff while I made arrangements to get into a new place. Very accommodating and had more than enough space. I like their set also, felt very secure in leaving all of my belongings in their facility. Also they have the size truck I reserved so they upgraded me to the size up at no extra cost.

Van M. Orem, UT

I had U-Haul for storage units and the price was reasonable. It was self storage so I never had problems with them. It was secure so it did the job for us.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used U-Haul for moving trucks, but I have also used them to store my things before and after moves and they have very secure facilities with easy access any time of the day and my things are protected from the elements and anything else that might harm them.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

I have visited several U-Haul locations throughout the years, and have always been impressed with their inventory. They make packing and moving a piece of cake! I will definitely use them again in the future!

hmarashi Newark, NJ

U-Haul’s marketing team is genius, no matter where you go, you are a moving advertisement for the brand. I’ve used uhaul to move across country, the prices were very fair. In addition I’ve also stored my furniture in Uhaul storage units which were clean and cheap.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

U-Haul does more than rent trucks!!! Their storage units are wonderful and easy to access at any time. I'm glad I decided to store all of my holiday decorations there since I don't have an attic at my house. Easy to switch out bins every few months.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

U-Haul is the best storage company out there. They have convenient locations that provide sizes for every budget and every need. They are easy to get into and out of and once the items are stored, they are safe and protected. I also have accessto all of the other support U-hauls has to offer.

Beth Farmer Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband and I had to rent a storage unit for a while when we were in college. I'm not sure how we had that much stuff. It was probably more of a lack of space in our apartment at the time, but that's not really the point. I liked how U-Haul had a lot of different unit sizes so we didn't have to rent more space than we needed. This made it very affordable for us poor newlyweds. If I had to use a storage rental facility again in the future I would definitely check out U-Haul again.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used U-Haul Storage Units as part of a move. I have had to store things for a short period of time and U-Haul Storage Units have all sizes and I can get them as long as I need to and I have access all the time. They are protected from everything and it worked out for me. I thought they were very economical as well.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We rented a storage unit through U-Haul because we trusted the name. We have not been disappointed. It is very clean and easy to contact customer service which was very important to us. They spray for bugs as well so there are no surprises when we get out our Christmas decorations every year.

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

we recently just moved into an apartment, and downsized from our house so we needed somewhere to store the stuff we couldnt use right now. Uhaul has been super great, their units are cheap to rent and more than big enough for all our stuff.

Jorden Laird Front Royal, VA

U-haul is great one stop shopping for moving and storage. Units in my area are competitively priced and I've been able to get a truck or trailer to move stuff from across the states or down the street. Units are clean and well maintained and there is always a security system in place.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Helped my brother and sister move on 2 separate occasions this past year, both of which used U-Haul. Renting and returning the trucks both times went off without any problems, would recommend for people who need a truck for moving.

Fernando Delgado Tempe, AZ

We had used Uhaul storage for my mother furniture when she had to live with us for a period of time. The storage are well taken care of and very safe to keep your property protected. I also Love using U-haul for moving trucks they are very reliable and also one available when i need one. Also very easy to rent one.

Kaitie Rodriguez Mesa, AZ

I've used uhaul multiple times to help with moving across the country. Not only has their truck rentals been great, but also their storage has been great. They are always helpful and I would use them again if I ever needed to.

Fernando Lopez Falls Church, VA

One of the best values for moving anything. We love this place. Their vans are spacious and easy to drive. Fully covered with padded interiors. The people behind the counters are always super helpful and their rates are reasonable. Anytime my wife and I need to move anything big we go with U-Haul.

Eric San Diego, CA

This company is great. Whats not to like about a simple business model with a variety of trucks for your moving needs. I have used this service a countless number of times and never had any issues. They also offer a wide array of storage options that wont break the bank. Use Uhaul if you're looking for a good storage service at a reasonable cost.

Kimberly Maddock Pleasant Grove, UT

My family and I were moving across the country and needed a place to leave our furniture until our home was ready to move in. It was nice to have a "one stop shop' where we could rent the truck, and then have a storage unit all with the same company. They made the move a lot easier.

NT Pleasant Grove, UT

i have been a customer with Uhaul for atleast a dozen of times with all the moving i do. storage prices are reasonable and have different sizes to choose from. We store a lot of our important belongings here in the past. definetely recommend.

Trent Allen Queen Creek, AZ

We have used their inside storage units and it worked for our needs. The best experience we have had is with their indoor units. Because they had air-conditioning in the indoor units we were able to store items that we could not store outdoors.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

U-haul has been awesomely easy to work with. When we had a discrepancy over cost, it was corrected immediately

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Plenty of storage options–cooled, big, small, and all under good security. Would be nice if they provided their own secure locks.

Brodie Smithfield, UT

Anytime we need to move, we use Uhaul. They are reliable and economical. We have always had good customer service with uhaul!

Johnson Smithfield, UT

Uhaul has helped us move many times. I love knowing that I can rely on their vehicle to get us where we are going without breaking down.

Jada Guzman Tampa, FL

Always successfully helped me with my moving needs! Super affordable and very friendly staff. Quick and easy online check in from phone!

Morgan whiting Salt Lake City, UT

We used them for our move across the country and the was clean and ran great. We also use them if we buy furniture and need to get it home.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I like using U-Haul because they are usually always available and their prices are competitive. They also have convenient locations and the employees are knowledgeable and friendly.

L Gilbert, AZ

I've rented a storage unit with U-Haul a few times and have always had a good experience. I think storage units tend to be overpriced in general, but the U-Haul sites are often very well maintained and secure.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I used one of the mini portable storage units from U-Haul to store my stuff while at home for the summer. It worked great! There was plenty of space in the trailer for all my things. However, one of the employees was very rude and unhelpful.

Brayden Ibert Houston, TX

Customer service, nationa wide company and great sele tion of products make Uhaul ourgo-tofor moving and storage. The prices are reasonable and the advice fromthe professionals is very much appreciated!

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

This is a great place to store you items if you need to when you are in between places. Their units are clean and spacious. Also the people are super nice! They have great customer service and are very professional. We also used them to move and the truck was big enough and awesome!

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

I like Uhaul--although I live in a small town and often they don't have the size trailers that I need, but that's not really Uhaul's fault. They are a good company and I've never had a problem with their services.

Erika American Fork, UT

We have had a good experience through uhaul. The reservation was easy to make. When we went to pick up the truck it was ready to go and there were no issues with the rental. When we have used it to store our belongings between moving it has worked very well. The unit was clean and kept our things in good condition.

Jeffrey Salas Gilbert, AZ

I was in need of a place to store my extra items and materials. They provided a good cost solution for my needs and I was happy to know it was in a good neighborhood, so I didn't have to worry about theft.

Patrick Orem, UT

It took forever for me to set everything up. It makes so sense that I had to wait so long to set everything up. I stored my clothes here and I was frustrated how long it took to set it all up.

JD Dunklee Norcross, GA

Uhaul’s storage units are really high quality! I’ve never had a bad experience with them. Only complaint is that I’ve had a few issues with the customer service at my local one.

Epham16 Winter Garden, FL

I use uhaul services when I had to move out of my place from college and the rental process is so easy! I also buy my cardboard boxes, tape and bubble wrap here

Nichole Hiatt Eagle Mountain, UT

We rented a U-Haul storage unit for about a year, and our items were kept secure and clean the entire time. The access to get in was simple and we never had any problems.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

U-Haul storage units are very convenient and easy to get in and out of. They have many sizes to choose from and it is secure and safe and protected from any harm.

Campbell Blair Phoenix, AZ

U-Haul is obviously the best company to use. I have really enjoyed using them for moving, great prices and easy to haul things. The storage is great for those who are looking to store something.

Ken Francis Provo, UT

Uhaul rocks. The units are nice and easy to rent. i appreciate the spacious sizes and the useful features of the units. You can usually get them on short notice.

E S Meridian, ID

We have used U-Haul when we have moved. Both their trucks and their storage unit. We are grateful that they are available. Representatives are helpful and hours are generally good.