U-Haul Logo

7.4

LAST UPDATED: January 25th, 2022
U-Haul specializes in providing moving and storage resources to families and individuals across the country. Its storage units are priced affordably, payments are accepted online, and they have 24-hour gate access. U-Haul is a great storage unit option due to its low pricing and easy access across the United States.

Public Storage Logo
#3 Public Storage chevron_right
4.1
Pods Logo
#4 Pods chevron_right

The Good

• Average Prices
  • 24 hour Gate Access
  • Climate Control Available

Average Prices

U-Haul offers storage units at affordable prices. For example, a 10x10 ground level drive-up storage unit is going to cost roughly $90 per month (this can vary slightly depending on location). These prices are low compared to the rest of the storage unit industry. Most U-Haul locations offer its customers with the first-month storage for free, coupled with one-way equipment rentals. No deposit is required, and all payments are made online. Other than the standard dry and clean storage units, additional features that can be purchased includes climate control.

24-Hour Gate Access

While standard front-office hours do exist (for example, from 7am to 7pm - depending on location) U-Haul storage units are available for user access 24/7, including weekends and holidays. Locks are also available for purchase, along with other moving supplies including boxes, tape, and padding. Another benefit of going with U-Haul is your direct access to a wide variety of moving trucks and other equipment.

Climate Control Available

U-Haul provides customers with the option to store their belongings in climate controlled units. This is a valuable amenity, especially for customers who are concerned with leaving their belongings in a unit exposed to extreme changes in temperature or humidity.

The Bad

• Only 5 Unit Size Options Available
  • Level of Security Depends on Location
  • No Unit Upkeep
  • Reimbursement Undisclosed

Only Five Unit Size Options Available

U-Haul only offers 5 unit sizes. This is a relatively average amount compared to other competing storage unit companies. The sizes and their descriptions are as follows:
  • 5' x 5' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a trailer (example trailer size 4' x 8') or those looking to store seasonal items.
  • 5' x 10' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a 10' moving truck and are looking to store roughly 1 bedrooms worth of items.
  • 10' x 10' Storage Unit: Designed for roughly 2 bedrooms worth of space, taking up roughly a 17' moving truck.
  • 10' x 15' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a 20' moving truck and roughly 3 bedrooms worth of items.
  • 10' x 20' Storage Unit: Designed for those using a 26' moving truck and up to 4 bedrooms worth of items.

Level of Security Depends on Location

The level of security offered can vary depending on location. Most units typically offer both electronic gates and individually alarmed rooms. Comparing to other competing storage unit companies who may offer video surveillance, individual door alarms, security patrol, etc. this can be less than is desired. Before choosing a storage unit from U-Haul, it would be best to confirm with a representative of the location you're researching to confirm what security options are available.

No Unit Upkeep

Depending on your location, unit upkeep can be a factor. This can vary based on a number of factors, including the age of the unit, the climate the unit is in, etc. While online pictures are a good starting point to seeing what a storage unit has to offer as far as upkeep is concerned, it's strongly recommended to see a storage unit in-person before making any financial commitments.

Reimbursement Undisclosed

Unfortunately, we were unable to confirm any details surrounding potential reimbursement plans.

The Bottom Line

U-Haul is a well-known brand that specializes in providing moving and storage resources across the country. Its storage units are well priced, payments are accepted online, and they offer 24-hour gate access. U-Haul provides solid storage units due primarily to its affordable pricing and easy access throughout the United States.

Bruce Peterson Riverton, UT

Have used this companies services several times. Most recently to rent utility trailer. I reserved a mid size trailer and when I got to the store the man asked what I was hauling. When I told him he suggested a smaller unit at less cost.

Laurel Dalton Riverton, UT

I recently assisted in helping an elderly friend move. U-Hual made transporting items from heavy couches to fragile decorations easier than ever. With an easy to slide ramp assisting with loading items, I would highly recommend U-Hual to anyone making a move.

MM Largo, FL

My move was unexpected and rushed and I didn't have a new place yet so I put everything I owned into a 10×25 unit at uhaul. I barnyard fit it all in there- it was packed wall to wall to door to ceiling. Since I didn't have time to pack everything properly or unload it into my unit, I spent many days at my unit going there to pack my things better and to consolidate my unit so that it fit better. O Ajay had to go there often because everything I owned was in my unit and I was living out of a suitcase at a friend's so U airways had to go to my unit to get stuff I needed. I went there one day after not having been there for 2 or 3 days to find a notice on my unit door dying that I had been loitering at my unit and that I had 48 hours to vacate or I would be locked out and my things would be disposed of at my expense. By the time I got the notice I had less than 24 hours to be out. I don't have a vehicle or driver's license so I had to scramble to make arrangements for transportation, find a new place to store my things, and move what took several days to put there out in less than a day. I will never store there again!

Aiyana Brown Tallahassee, FL

We primarily use U-haul for moving from place to place and just doing that I feel that U-haul is a good company. They have quality trucks and are reasonably priced when moving locally. I can’t tell you about longer distances but I imagine that it would be just as cost effective ti rent a uhaul to move than to try and stuff as many little cars as you can. Great for convince sake.

Emily D Herriman, UT

We used u-haul for a recent move and had a Great experience. It was very affordable and we had plenty of room in the truck.

Tami Thurgood Ogden, UT

U-Haul is a great resource I have used several times in different moves whether a big or small move- they have what you need!

Nashali Vescovacci FL

This company is one of the best for moving and storing personal belongings. They are very trustworthy and safe, which is an important asset for this trade. They have great customer service and are extremely detailed compared to their competitors.

Nazjah Yates Tallahassee, FL

Moving out can be a hassle but u-haul was very helpful. They have pretty cheap prices for storage units and trucks but they have good availability and were able to work with me to try and find a unit in a college town that was full during the move-out time.

Sierra Thomas Tallahassee, FL

This company is great and has good service it is good for moving and needing stuff to store. They provide so many options and opportunities to getting your items delivered or moved and option on storing them in an ac unit or outside unit.

Brylee Roberts Riverton, UT

U-haul is a nice place to hold things that you need to store and you don’t know what to do with.

16 hours ago

Anoushka Ahuja Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul is the best! I used it when moving out of my house and they were so helpful and accommodating!

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

I use U-Haul all the time when I am moving. I do think it is the best moving company and their trucks and equipment are extremely helpful. However, it can be a bit expensive and not having free movers to help you with the expenses you pay is not ideal. Moving is tough and while U-Haul makes it much easier, I do believe they should show more care and concern for their customers with free moving help, or at least a fairly cheap one.

J B Sandy, UT

U-Haul is a well priced storage option with a trusted history.

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

The only place I’ll use when it comes to moving ! The staff is so helpful and always guiding you to the right products to get when it comes to boxes and glasses

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

U-Haul provides a service many of us have needed or will need in the future; a big vehicle to move many objects. However, the lack of professionalism in my experience with them, makes me contemplate if moving is really necessary. I had scheduled a U-Haul moving truck weeks in advance for pick up as soon as they opened on my move in date. When I arrived at the agreed time, they told me they did not have any trucks there the size I had requested and I would have to go look for one in another nearby U-Haul. Very inconvenient, set me back about 2 hours more than I had planned.

Sharrell Colleton Tallahassee, FL

Uhaul has helped my family move times and I will continue to use it in the future. It is easy to go online or in store to get the proper size Uhaul needed for a good price.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

Rented a u haul trailer to move my son. The tire fell off when going down the road. Lol. The customer service was great. And we will use them again. I mean, when you have to move your kids all the time…u haul is convenient and inexpensive.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Great and reasonably priced service for both storage and moving trucks. I've used them for every one of my large moves.

Nathan Barney Jenks, OK

Used to use them a lot more but the trucks seemed to be a bit older and still charged a premium. Plus another rental company seemed to be closer to me the last few places I have lived.

Kara Turkson Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul storage screwed me over by giving away the storage room I had reserved for a Tuesday evening after I went to check out the morning after. I'm not sure if it was just my location or if that happens a lot with U-Haul but I am not ever going to look at storage solutions through them again.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

I wish U-Haul offered more units! As big of a brand as they are, you would expect them to be able to handle their demand. Units are usually sold out in Tallahassee, and it gets frustrating. Do they know this is a college town?

Jodianna Tallahassee, FL

I like how they have many locations around the state. I do not like how expensive the storage units can be. I wish you could rent them out and pay weekly instead of monthly.

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

U-Haul storage units are spacious and great for the price you pay. It's nice to feel like your things are secure when you leave them some place else, and U-Haul delivers that peace of mind.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Uhaul is everyone's go-to and for good reason. They were easy to contact and set up storage with. They just had a lack of space available since it's so busy in my college town, besides that I was very satisfied with my services.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

When we moved, we had one week inbetween when we had to be out of one house before we could move into the next house. We used U-haul for both our moving vehicle and the storage unit. We rented for a full month when we only needed one week. Our belongings were safe and secure until the day we were able to move in.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

After my first year of college I needed a place to store my belonging while I was gone for the summer. I got a small compartment with U-haul and had no issues. All my stuff was in the same place and the unit was pretty clean when I rented it.

Danielle Luma Tallahassee, FL

U-haul is a convenient service for moving with reasonable rates. Customer service could be better, other than that helpful.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

I love using U-Haul when it's time to move out of my apartments at the end of the year. They make moving so easy!

Jasmine Tallahassee, FL

When we are moving, this is the company I'm here for. They have the best prices and will never turn you down.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

We needed short term storage (2 months) after a recent move. We were very satisfied with the value and customer service offered by U-Haul. They had convenient locations in our city and good options of storage units that were perfect for our needs. We also rented a truck and trailer from them and were happy with the whole experience.

PPennington Atlanta, GA

I've been storing with U-haul/Your Extra Attic for 5 years. The managers are very polite and easy to talk to. Someone is always there if you have a problem. The rates are reasonable, and they give incentives for referring customers. The one in East Cobb County, Marietta, Ga is the best!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

I have used U-haul to store my belongings in-between my semesters at college. It has always been very easy to reserve or access my storage unit when it comes time to move out. It is kept clean and I have never had issues with the items I store.

Benjamin Taliulu Salt Lake City, UT

I was going through a divorce and needed a place to store my stuff while I made arrangements to get into a new place. Very accommodating and had more than enough space. I like their set also, felt very secure in leaving all of my belongings in their facility. Also they have the size truck I reserved so they upgraded me to the size up at no extra cost.

Sierra Nixon Tallahassee, FL

U-Haul staff is very friendly and always go the extra mile to assist their customers.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

It’s is so expensive to rent a U-Haul. Moved from Lubbock to Houston and it cost us almost $2,000 for two days. I am amazed at how much the prices keep going up.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Uhaul is pretty nice, it's a big brand company, so at least they're established. Or not. My Uhaul unit CLOSED without any notice, I was scrambling to find a place to store all of my furniture, in the end I had to put it in a friend's basement until I could find a new place. Not cool Uhaul, couldn't've even sent an email?

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used U-Haul for moving trucks, but I have also used them to store my things before and after moves and they have very secure facilities with easy access any time of the day and my things are protected from the elements and anything else that might harm them.

Dayna Brown Logan, UT

Our family has moved several times over the last few years and U-Haul is the first company we will call for our moving needs! They always have the truck size we need and the pick-up and drop off process is always convenient and hassle free! We have found it hard to find a company that competes with this service!

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We helped my sister move home this Summer. We knew to go straight to U-Haul to get a U-Box t to get her stuff home to Utah. The rates were reasonable and it's so helpful to be able to pick how many U-Box's we needed to fit all of her belongings to store in UT till she had a move in date.

hmarashi Newark, NJ

U-Haul’s marketing team is genius, no matter where you go, you are a moving advertisement for the brand. I’ve used uhaul to move across country, the prices were very fair. In addition I’ve also stored my furniture in Uhaul storage units which were clean and cheap.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

U-Haul does more than rent trucks!!! Their storage units are wonderful and easy to access at any time. I'm glad I decided to store all of my holiday decorations there since I don't have an attic at my house. Easy to switch out bins every few months.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

U-Haul is the best storage company out there. They have convenient locations that provide sizes for every budget and every need. They are easy to get into and out of and once the items are stored, they are safe and protected. I also have accessto all of the other support U-hauls has to offer.

Beth Farmer Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband and I had to rent a storage unit for a while when we were in college. I'm not sure how we had that much stuff. It was probably more of a lack of space in our apartment at the time, but that's not really the point. I liked how U-Haul had a lot of different unit sizes so we didn't have to rent more space than we needed. This made it very affordable for us poor newlyweds. If I had to use a storage rental facility again in the future I would definitely check out U-Haul again.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used U-Haul Storage Units as part of a move. I have had to store things for a short period of time and U-Haul Storage Units have all sizes and I can get them as long as I need to and I have access all the time. They are protected from everything and it worked out for me. I thought they were very economical as well.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We rented a storage unit through U-Haul because we trusted the name. We have not been disappointed. It is very clean and easy to contact customer service which was very important to us. They spray for bugs as well so there are no surprises when we get out our Christmas decorations every year.

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

we recently just moved into an apartment, and downsized from our house so we needed somewhere to store the stuff we couldnt use right now. Uhaul has been super great, their units are cheap to rent and more than big enough for all our stuff.

Jorden Laird Front Royal, VA

U-haul is great one stop shopping for moving and storage. Units in my area are competitively priced and I've been able to get a truck or trailer to move stuff from across the states or down the street. Units are clean and well maintained and there is always a security system in place.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Helped my brother and sister move on 2 separate occasions this past year, both of which used U-Haul. Renting and returning the trucks both times went off without any problems, would recommend for people who need a truck for moving.

Fernando Delgado Tempe, AZ

We had used Uhaul storage for my mother furniture when she had to live with us for a period of time. The storage are well taken care of and very safe to keep your property protected. I also Love using U-haul for moving trucks they are very reliable and also one available when i need one. Also very easy to rent one.

Kaitie Rodriguez Mesa, AZ

I've used uhaul multiple times to help with moving across the country. Not only has their truck rentals been great, but also their storage has been great. They are always helpful and I would use them again if I ever needed to.