Public Storage Logo

7.6

LAST UPDATED: October 4th, 2021
Public Storage has been providing storage units nationwide since 1972. Its main benefits include providing clean storage units at affordable prices. Its main disadvantages are the number of features varying by location, including security and gate hours. If the location is right, Public Storage can be a decent option for someone looking to save money.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Life Storage Logo
#4 Life Storage chevron_right
3.1

The Good

• Average Prices
  • Additional Features
  • Climate Controlled Units

Average Prices

Public Storage units are competitively priced across the storage unit market. For example, a Large 10'x 10'costs roughly $92 per month (this can vary slightly depending on location). Storage units are free to reserve and do not require a long-term commitment. Currently, it is offering a $1 first month rent with up to 15% off its monthly rent (these are both subject to change and depends on availability). Public Storage units are also climate controlled, giving your items the best chance for maintaining their level of quality while being stowed away. Unit size options are as follows:
  • 15x20
  • 10x30
  • 12x33
  • 18x25
  • 20x25
  • 20x30
  • 25x75

Additional Features

With over 40 years of experience, Public Storage offers quite a few supplemental features. Moving supplies are available for purchase through Public Storage. These supplies include but are not limited to: storage boxes, storage locks, packings supplies, tape. Public Storage also states on its site its commitment to keeping all of its facilities clean with adequate lighting. This can help prevent unnecessary maintenance and security issues, giving you a more trusted place to leave your things. Public Storage also offers AutoPay, making it easier for you to submit your monthly payments. This feature has 24/7 online access, giving you the power to take care of your facility when it best works with your schedule.

Climate Controlled Units

CubeSmart also provides customers with climate controlled units, which allows renters to control both the temperature and humidity of their units. While this feature is becoming a standard offering in the industry, it still proves to be incredibly useful for renters who don't want to risk the condition of their belongings to the effects of extreme temperatures.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Information
  • Gate Hours Depend on Location
  • Missing Features

Undisclosed Information

There are a number of important features that are either undisclosed or details vary by location. This information includes but is not limited to: security details, reimbursement policy, and whether or not units are indoor or outdoor.

Gate Hours Depend on Location

Another feature that varies per location is the gate hours. Having longer gate hours allows users more opportunities to access the contents of their storage unit. There is also no way for Public Storage users to rent a truck from them to transport materials to and from the storage unit since this feature is not available at any of their locations.

Missing Features

CubeSmart does not appear to offer cleaning and maintenance services for its units. Additionally, services such as added security measures and the availability of moving trucks appears to vary by location. If you're simply looking for a place to store your belongings, CubeSmart should prove adequate; however, if these features are important you you, you should consider other options.

The Bottom Line

If one is located nearby, Public Storage can be a decent option for someone looking to save money. Its main highlights include providing clean storage units at affordable prices. Its main disadvantages are the number of features with undisclosed information, particularly including security and gate hours.

4.0

paul sclafani Fort Lauderdale, FL

This company has executive offices with non-responsive people. They set you up for late fees, but refuse to even hear your story....WE DO NOT WAIVE LATE FEES, NO EXCEPTIONS. They remind you by e-mail 3 weeks in advance, have your credit card info, but won't take your payment automatically. You have to jump thru the hoops every month. A DISHONEST way to run this type of business./ NEVER AGAIN...PS

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Public Storage raised the rates on the individual storage unit I had without ever letting me know. I had only been renting this unit for a few months before they raised the price on me. I decided to move out so I called the unit manager that I would be leaving, which was the middle of the month. So when I asked about pro rating my bill, the manager at the time had told me no problem. Well, they charged me the whole month anyway. I would have been fine with that if they hadn't told me they would pro rate me. So, they raised their prices on me without telling me, then didn't pro rate my last month when they told me they would. So, overall would NOT recommend them.

Bob Conley Crestwood, KY

I didn't have the best experience. Our storage unit flooded. The folks at the storage facility, move all of our stuff before they notified us. After we moved out of the facility we discovered items were missing. I assume they were lost in the flood and they did not want to be held responsible.

Karina Aguilar Managua, MN

we used to store our items in public storage but then they raised their prices on us and were not willing to compromise on a reasonable amount

Harvey Olff Lexington, KY

poor management, no outside lighting, complain that door needed repair, never happened