Public Storage Logo

7.6

Public Storage has been providing storage units nationwide since 1972. Its main benefits include providing clean storage units at affordable prices. Its main disadvantages are the number of features varying by location, including security and gate hours. If the location is right, Public Storage can be a decent option for someone looking to save money.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Extra Space Storage Logo
#2 Extra Space Storage chevron_right
Life Storage Logo
#4 Life Storage chevron_right
3.2

The Good

• Average Prices
  • Additional Features
  • Climate Controlled Units

Average Prices

Public Storage units are competitively priced across the storage unit market. For example, a Large 10'x 10'costs roughly $92 per month (this can vary slightly depending on location). Storage units are free to reserve and do not require a long-term commitment. Currently, it is offering a $1 first month rent with up to 15% off its monthly rent (these are both subject to change and depends on availability). Public Storage units are also climate controlled, giving your items the best chance for maintaining their level of quality while being stowed away. Unit size options are as follows:
  • 15x20
  • 10x30
  • 12x33
  • 18x25
  • 20x25
  • 20x30
  • 25x75

Additional Features

With over 40 years of experience, Public Storage offers quite a few supplemental features. Moving supplies are available for purchase through Public Storage. These supplies include but are not limited to: storage boxes, storage locks, packings supplies, tape. Public Storage also states on its site its commitment to keeping all of its facilities clean with adequate lighting. This can help prevent unnecessary maintenance and security issues, giving you a more trusted place to leave your things. Public Storage also offers AutoPay, making it easier for you to submit your monthly payments. This feature has 24/7 online access, giving you the power to take care of your facility when it best works with your schedule.

Climate Controlled Units

CubeSmart also provides customers with climate controlled units, which allows renters to control both the temperature and humidity of their units. While this feature is becoming a standard offering in the industry, it still proves to be incredibly useful for renters who don't want to risk the condition of their belongings to the effects of extreme temperatures.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Information
  • Gate Hours Depend on Location
  • Missing Features

Undisclosed Information

There are a number of important features that are either undisclosed or details vary by location. This information includes but is not limited to: security details, reimbursement policy, and whether or not units are indoor or outdoor.

Gate Hours Depend on Location

Another feature that varies per location is the gate hours. Having longer gate hours allows users more opportunities to access the contents of their storage unit. There is also no way for Public Storage users to rent a truck from them to transport materials to and from the storage unit since this feature is not available at any of their locations.

Missing Features

CubeSmart does not appear to offer cleaning and maintenance services for its units. Additionally, services such as added security measures and the availability of moving trucks appears to vary by location. If you're simply looking for a place to store your belongings, CubeSmart should prove adequate; however, if these features are important you you, you should consider other options.

The Bottom Line

If one is located nearby, Public Storage can be a decent option for someone looking to save money. Its main highlights include providing clean storage units at affordable prices. Its main disadvantages are the number of features with undisclosed information, particularly including security and gate hours.

4.0

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Self storage has been helpful to me during my last couple moves. While many of the newer facilities require you to use an elevator, I prefer units that you can drive your vehicle up to.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

This has been my go to for storage over the summers so my daughters are not having to move everything back and forth from college. Great facility, indoor and climate controlled.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

I have rented several units from a Public Storage facility. Units were always clean and customer service was excellent.

Dorothy Bays Venice, FL

Manager was extremely helpful!! Not only answering all my questions, but showed me different sized units to help me make my decision on the size of unit I'd need to accommodate my stuff. Very patient and thorough; as well as professional. Five STARS, indeed!

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Being in between homes is stressful. We rented a storage unit from Public Storage during our in between time. Our house was ready for move in right after the next months payment was due. Even though when we signed with them it was a fee that was suppose to be paid that actually waived that months fee since it was only an extra 2 days. Great customer service!

Maria West Valley City, UT

I’ve used this service when I had to put my furniture in storage because I was moving and the system was great not concerns employees very nice and friendly

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Public storage has always been great for us to use. They have the cleanest spaces and have safe access to them. They always have well lit grounds and safety is offered when visiting after hours. I appreciate the convenience, low prices, and fair terms to their rental agreements.

Jen Paris Concord, CA

When we moved out of state, we ended up needing a storage unit for a while. Public Storage was so nice to work with and accommodating for what we needed (we didn't know WHAT we needed at first and they were very helpful). Also, we didn't worry about security since everything was behind a coded gate.

Dean Ogden, UT

I have had a Public Storage space on two separate occasions and have been happy both times. I shop around for price and they are very competitive but I find the best thing to be the facilities. They are always clean and the employees are great. If you are looking for a storage unit, look into Public Storage.

Janiah Cook Tallahassee, FL

I had to move my dorm room items in a storage room and it was nice and affordable and also clean !

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

Public Storage was really easy to book. I got there picked it up, they explained everything.. really easy to work with. I always get nervous going with different companies but I would go through Public Storage again

Jolene Pleasant Grove, UT

Good price and nice storage. I was able to find just the right size storage unit for my needs. I felt like my stuff was secure and could access it when needed.

paul sclafani Fort Lauderdale, FL

This company has executive offices with non-responsive people. They set you up for late fees, but refuse to even hear your story....WE DO NOT WAIVE LATE FEES, NO EXCEPTIONS. They remind you by e-mail 3 weeks in advance, have your credit card info, but won't take your payment automatically. You have to jump thru the hoops every month. A DISHONEST way to run this type of business./ NEVER AGAIN...PS

David Plummer Glendale, AZ

My experience at the 4034 East McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85008 location leaves much to be desired. The property clearly isn't maintained. Bird crap is everywhere. The trash area has been overflowing each time I have visited the property. While the website says gate hours are until 9 pm, the reality is they close at 6 pm. The property manager is as lazy as they come. And, don't expect them to pro-rate rent when you move out. They pro-rate when you move in, but refuse to do the same upon move out. Also, keep a watch out for ridiculous fees when you move in. There are much better storage options out there. Save your money and keep your property in a cleaner location, go elsewhere!

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

While living in Los Angeles, we used Public Storage for several years. It was pretty standard when compared to all the other storage facilities. There really wasn’t anything that made it stand out compared to any of the other storage facilities other than the fact that it was the closest storage facility to where I was living. Prices at Public Storage were pretty average, Unit sizes were pretty standard as well.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

We used public storage when we were in between moves for about 8 months. The units were clean, easy access, and pretty affordable. We were able to fit all our stuff in one unit. It was the perfect option for us.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

When we first moved to Utah we had to store all of our things for a couple of years until we had a home to move into. Public storage offered a large, clean unit that was easily accessible with affordable pricing. We were grateful to have a unit that was centrally located and they made the storage process easy.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Public Storage is excellent for the price. They have newer, cleaner units for rent and the terms are very accommodating. Excellent value and great customer service at Public Storage. I loved using their storage units!

Amanda Montebello, CA

I have used Public Storage in the past to good stuff while in college and has a great experience. They offered competitive prices and a sense of security for the protection of my items.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Public Storage in the past for my extra storage space needs. They are convenient, safe and secure, and available 24 hours a day. They have a person on site that adds further protection and convenience.

Brennan Orem, UT

While I had a Public Storage unit I felt like it was reasonably priced and the facility was always clean. I have had multiple storage units over the years and Public Storage was great. Employees were awesome as well.

Kimberly Maddock Pleasant Grove, UT

Last month we were in between selling our home and buying a new home. We had to put most of our furniture in storage. Public Storage gave us the best deal and the storage units were clean and easy to access.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Public Storage raised the rates on the individual storage unit I had without ever letting me know. I had only been renting this unit for a few months before they raised the price on me. I decided to move out so I called the unit manager that I would be leaving, which was the middle of the month. So when I asked about pro rating my bill, the manager at the time had told me no problem. Well, they charged me the whole month anyway. I would have been fine with that if they hadn't told me they would pro rate me. So, they raised their prices on me without telling me, then didn't pro rate my last month when they told me they would. So, overall would NOT recommend them.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Public Storage helped me store my items away when I had to leave for two weeks. They were nice enough to contact me when a spot opened up. My only complaint would be their prices, as they can be quite high.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The storage units are large and there are many different sizes available for rent. However, the prices are higher than competitors. Personally, I have used them and probably would do it again if their prices were lower.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

I love Public Storage because it has helped me when I have moved and haven't had a place to put my things in! They even gave me a deal where I had the first month for free!

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Helped my brother store his belongings while moving places. The pavement inbetween the storage containers was fairly narrow and we had a difficult time maneuvering our U-haul. Value for storage was reasonable

Tiffany Tempe, AZ

I was with public storage for over 6 months and never once had any problem with security or damage. I like the hours they had to make sure the safety is there.

Jennifer Perry Spring Valley, CA

I used Public Storage for a little over a year. The units were clean and air controlled which was nice. the only thing I had an issue with is that they were not willing to help move the due date of my bill to a date that worked for me.

Trent Allen Queen Creek, AZ

No frills, but the facility worked great for our needs. The AC units are real nice because they keep your personal items cool so that they are not ruined when it is hot outside.

Estefi Arreola Leyva Gilbert, AZ

Public Storage has a good place to put our things that can fit in our house. My family has been using the place for about two years. It was really great to use when we would move houses.

Roche American Fork, UT

Clean, convenient, and friendly service. I enjoyed the time I needed to rent a space, they made it so easy for me to move things in and out.

Barry Henline Logan, UT

Nice facilities, clean and safe for you and your belongings. Customer service agents were very friendly and good to work with.

Celia Waipahu, HI

Daughter had to store her stuffs in storage. Looked around & found that Public Storage was reasonable & safe. We would definitely use them again.

William South Jordan, UT

I used a facility close to me for a few months while we were building our house. The facility was nice and clean and we didn't have any issues with that. The customer service was just ok. I would probably use them again.

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

This company offers what it advertises. It was affordable and secure. We had zero problems. They offered easy access and great customer service.

Bob Conley Crestwood, KY

I didn't have the best experience. Our storage unit flooded. The folks at the storage facility, move all of our stuff before they notified us. After we moved out of the facility we discovered items were missing. I assume they were lost in the flood and they did not want to be held responsible.

Shelene Cooley Gilbert, AZ

You get what you pay for and this company provides a quality product when you need to store things. Easy access to load and unload. was effective for our needs.

John M Stanley Burleson, TX

Clean units, fair price, safe. Someone is always available to assist you in getting in the units, etc.

Michael Bowen St. Petersburg, FL

No problems , needed them for 3 months didn't have any problems just not the most helpful customer service

Truitt Davis

THEY REMIND YOU OF PAYMENT DUE ON THE 12TH EVERY MONTH, WHEN THEY SHOULD REMIND YOU A WEEK PRIOR. IVE PAID TOO MANY LATE FEES

Edmond H. Hillsboro, OR

Great contact for my storage needs and information given for any issues is great.

AGenes Eagle Mountain, UT

Always use public storage whenever I need one! Never had any problems. Great prices and always easy access to my storage.

Roman Christiansen Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Public Storage and my cell was very clean and useable! Everything fit and I felt safe about my things!

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

Staff was friendly and very helpful. We didn't have any worry about the safety or security of our things being stored there.

Hailey Nilson Salt Lake City, UT

Public Storage is great. I've been with them for three years and I plan on using them for many more. I had some issues with my billing and they fixed it right away.

Mia Hernandez Tempe, AZ

great company would recommend to friends and family have no issues so far people ion office are pretty friendly

Kristie Sgambati Rocklin, CA

We have used Public Storage for our business for years and love them! Net, clean facilities and easy access hours.

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

We used this company to store our extra holiday decorations. They were very clean and reasonably priced.

Bella Houtz South Jordan, UT

Public Storage is a great option to store your stuff safely. We love what Public Storage has to offer.