Public Storage Logo

6.8

LAST UPDATED: January 25th, 2022
Public Storage has been providing storage units nationwide since 1972. Its main benefits include providing clean storage units at affordable prices. Its main disadvantages are the number of features varying by location, including security and gate hours. If the location is right, Public Storage can be a decent option for someone looking to save money.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Pods Logo
#4 Pods chevron_right

The Good

• Average Prices
  • Additional Features
  • Climate Controlled Units

Average Prices

Public Storage units are competitively priced across the storage unit market. For example, a Large 10'x 10'costs roughly $92 per month (this can vary slightly depending on location). Storage units are free to reserve and do not require a long-term commitment. Currently, it is offering a $1 first month rent with up to 15% off its monthly rent (these are both subject to change and depends on availability). Public Storage units are also climate controlled, giving your items the best chance for maintaining their level of quality while being stowed away. Unit size options are as follows:
  • 15x20
  • 10x30
  • 12x33
  • 18x25
  • 20x25
  • 20x30
  • 25x75

Additional Features

With over 40 years of experience, Public Storage offers quite a few supplemental features. Moving supplies are available for purchase through Public Storage. These supplies include but are not limited to: storage boxes, storage locks, packings supplies, tape. Public Storage also states on its site its commitment to keeping all of its facilities clean with adequate lighting. This can help prevent unnecessary maintenance and security issues, giving you a more trusted place to leave your things. Public Storage also offers AutoPay, making it easier for you to submit your monthly payments. This feature has 24/7 online access, giving you the power to take care of your facility when it best works with your schedule.

Climate Controlled Units

CubeSmart also provides customers with climate controlled units, which allows renters to control both the temperature and humidity of their units. While this feature is becoming a standard offering in the industry, it still proves to be incredibly useful for renters who don't want to risk the condition of their belongings to the effects of extreme temperatures.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Information
  • Gate Hours Depend on Location
  • Missing Features

Undisclosed Information

There are a number of important features that are either undisclosed or details vary by location. This information includes but is not limited to: security details, reimbursement policy, and whether or not units are indoor or outdoor.

Gate Hours Depend on Location

Another feature that varies per location is the gate hours. Having longer gate hours allows users more opportunities to access the contents of their storage unit. There is also no way for Public Storage users to rent a truck from them to transport materials to and from the storage unit since this feature is not available at any of their locations.

Missing Features

CubeSmart does not appear to offer cleaning and maintenance services for its units. Additionally, services such as added security measures and the availability of moving trucks appears to vary by location. If you're simply looking for a place to store your belongings, CubeSmart should prove adequate; however, if these features are important you you, you should consider other options.

The Bottom Line

If one is located nearby, Public Storage can be a decent option for someone looking to save money. Its main highlights include providing clean storage units at affordable prices. Its main disadvantages are the number of features with undisclosed information, particularly including security and gate hours.

4.1

Michigander101 Macomb, MI

Using a rental storage unit has been helpful during a home renovation project. Public Storage is affordable and staffing is friendly for reservations and always available to answer questions.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Used them once in college because they had a super great offer available and it allowed me to sublet my apartment while I went abroad. However, became a huge headache when I was bait and switched and was not given the promotion that I was promised. Was even more annoying to deal with while overseas. Thankfully I kept the print out of their promotion that they had on display in the office and after 3 months of battling with them they retroactively paid me back at the promotional value. Aside from that my stuff was not damaged and the storage facility was clean.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

I’m a happy and satisfied customer of Public Storage. Used for personal and business storage. Always a pleasure dealing with their staff when I need something.

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

Helped with all our storage needs. Plenty of boxes, tape, and bubble wrap.

12 hours ago

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I used Public Storage to store my items between a move. It was easy to access the site whenever I needed and loading and unloading my vehicle was never an issue. The employees were also very nice and willing to help me find a unit that worked best.

Juanita Morrison Columbus, OH

I’ve used Public Storage several times and have no complaints. Reasonable prices and secure locations.

MM Largo, FL

I had a horrible experience with public storage. I moved out of my house but had not found a new home yet so I put everything I owned in a 10 x 25ft storage unit at Public Storage in Largo, Fl. Because all of my belongings were there go had to go there almost every day to get something and also I spent the first few days trying to reorganize and condense my stuff a bit because my unit was packed and I didn't have much time to pack as well as I would have liked to. Anyway, about two weeks into my rental I hadn't been there in a couple of days I went to get something and found a note on my door that said I had been "loitering" too much at my unit and that I had 3 days to vacate of my unit would be locked and my belongings disposed of at my expense. Well by the time I saw the notice I had less than 24 hours to find a truck, find someone to help me, and find somewhere else to store my stuff. I had to scramble to empty my unit and barely got everything out in time. My rent was already paid for the month and I didn't get even a partial refund. They were rude and had no consideration for the fact that I needed things from there negate I was living out of a suitcase at a friend's house until I found a new house.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

I used Public Storage when I was remodeling my home. It was easy to access my storage unit when I needed something and made the remodeling process stress-free.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

I have had no issues with Public Storage. Every summer when I come home from college I leave my stuff in one of there units. They are reliable and the set up process was very easy. Nothing I put in my unit was stolen or moved while I was gone.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

I had items in Public Storage for quite a long time. I made my regular payments every month. This particular Public Storage had a couple that lived on the premises and maintained the property. I rarely went into my unit. I eventually cleaned it out and threw away 90%. The only issue i had was when I accidentally put the incorrect unit number on my check and they applied it to the incorrect unit. I had to call headquarters to get it corrected because this public storage would not fix it. There were also steady increases each year. Other than that everything was fine.

Dara Bottenhagen Chicago, IL

Had to put stuff in storage when moving. Efficient to and very clean.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Public Storage was really easy to work with when my mom needed storage for some things when we were moving apartments. They had amazing customer service as well.

Dorothy Bays Venice, FL

Manager was extremely helpful!! Not only answering all my questions, but showed me different sized units to help me make my decision on the size of unit I'd need to accommodate my stuff. Very patient and thorough; as well as professional. Five STARS, indeed!

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Being in between homes is stressful. We rented a storage unit from Public Storage during our in between time. Our house was ready for move in right after the next months payment was due. Even though when we signed with them it was a fee that was suppose to be paid that actually waived that months fee since it was only an extra 2 days. Great customer service!

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Most well known storage company in the US. Like that brand awareness across markets. Many buildings are dis-similar to others but the units are clean and dry. Recommend.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Public storage has always been great for us to use. They have the cleanest spaces and have safe access to them. They always have well lit grounds and safety is offered when visiting after hours. I appreciate the convenience, low prices, and fair terms to their rental agreements.

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

This has been my go to for storage over the summers so my daughters are not having to move everything back and forth from college. Great facility, indoor and climate controlled.

Jen Paris Concord, CA

When we moved out of state, we ended up needing a storage unit for a while. Public Storage was so nice to work with and accommodating for what we needed (we didn't know WHAT we needed at first and they were very helpful). Also, we didn't worry about security since everything was behind a coded gate.

Dean Ogden, UT

I have had a Public Storage space on two separate occasions and have been happy both times. I shop around for price and they are very competitive but I find the best thing to be the facilities. They are always clean and the employees are great. If you are looking for a storage unit, look into Public Storage.

Shanelle vickers Jacksonville, FL

Affordable services. My family uses Public storage for their personal needs.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

My mother in law and I own a storage unit together and they have been very accommodating and safe.

paul sclafani Fort Lauderdale, FL

This company has executive offices with non-responsive people. They set you up for late fees, but refuse to even hear your story....WE DO NOT WAIVE LATE FEES, NO EXCEPTIONS. They remind you by e-mail 3 weeks in advance, have your credit card info, but won't take your payment automatically. You have to jump thru the hoops every month. A DISHONEST way to run this type of business./ NEVER AGAIN...PS

David Plummer Glendale, AZ

My experience at the 4034 East McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85008 location leaves much to be desired. The property clearly isn't maintained. Bird crap is everywhere. The trash area has been overflowing each time I have visited the property. While the website says gate hours are until 9 pm, the reality is they close at 6 pm. The property manager is as lazy as they come. And, don't expect them to pro-rate rent when you move out. They pro-rate when you move in, but refuse to do the same upon move out. Also, keep a watch out for ridiculous fees when you move in. There are much better storage options out there. Save your money and keep your property in a cleaner location, go elsewhere!

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Self storage has been helpful to me during my last couple moves. While many of the newer facilities require you to use an elevator, I prefer units that you can drive your vehicle up to.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

While living in Los Angeles, we used Public Storage for several years. It was pretty standard when compared to all the other storage facilities. There really wasn’t anything that made it stand out compared to any of the other storage facilities other than the fact that it was the closest storage facility to where I was living. Prices at Public Storage were pretty average, Unit sizes were pretty standard as well.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

We used public storage when we were in between moves for about 8 months. The units were clean, easy access, and pretty affordable. We were able to fit all our stuff in one unit. It was the perfect option for us.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

When we first moved to Utah we had to store all of our things for a couple of years until we had a home to move into. Public storage offered a large, clean unit that was easily accessible with affordable pricing. We were grateful to have a unit that was centrally located and they made the storage process easy.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Public Storage is excellent for the price. They have newer, cleaner units for rent and the terms are very accommodating. Excellent value and great customer service at Public Storage. I loved using their storage units!

Amanda Montebello, CA

I have used Public Storage in the past to good stuff while in college and has a great experience. They offered competitive prices and a sense of security for the protection of my items.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Public Storage in the past for my extra storage space needs. They are convenient, safe and secure, and available 24 hours a day. They have a person on site that adds further protection and convenience.

Brennan Orem, UT

While I had a Public Storage unit I felt like it was reasonably priced and the facility was always clean. I have had multiple storage units over the years and Public Storage was great. Employees were awesome as well.

Kimberly Maddock Pleasant Grove, UT

Last month we were in between selling our home and buying a new home. We had to put most of our furniture in storage. Public Storage gave us the best deal and the storage units were clean and easy to access.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Public Storage raised the rates on the individual storage unit I had without ever letting me know. I had only been renting this unit for a few months before they raised the price on me. I decided to move out so I called the unit manager that I would be leaving, which was the middle of the month. So when I asked about pro rating my bill, the manager at the time had told me no problem. Well, they charged me the whole month anyway. I would have been fine with that if they hadn't told me they would pro rate me. So, they raised their prices on me without telling me, then didn't pro rate my last month when they told me they would. So, overall would NOT recommend them.

Maria West Valley City, UT

I’ve used this service when I had to put my furniture in storage because I was moving and the system was great not concerns employees very nice and friendly

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Public Storage helped me store my items away when I had to leave for two weeks. They were nice enough to contact me when a spot opened up. My only complaint would be their prices, as they can be quite high.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The storage units are large and there are many different sizes available for rent. However, the prices are higher than competitors. Personally, I have used them and probably would do it again if their prices were lower.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

I love Public Storage because it has helped me when I have moved and haven't had a place to put my things in! They even gave me a deal where I had the first month for free!

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Helped my brother store his belongings while moving places. The pavement inbetween the storage containers was fairly narrow and we had a difficult time maneuvering our U-haul. Value for storage was reasonable

Tiffany Tempe, AZ

I was with public storage for over 6 months and never once had any problem with security or damage. I like the hours they had to make sure the safety is there.

Jennifer Perry Spring Valley, CA

I used Public Storage for a little over a year. The units were clean and air controlled which was nice. the only thing I had an issue with is that they were not willing to help move the due date of my bill to a date that worked for me.

Trent Allen Queen Creek, AZ

No frills, but the facility worked great for our needs. The AC units are real nice because they keep your personal items cool so that they are not ruined when it is hot outside.

Estefi Arreola Leyva Gilbert, AZ

Public Storage has a good place to put our things that can fit in our house. My family has been using the place for about two years. It was really great to use when we would move houses.

Renee Gaines Houston, TX

Used them and very clean facility and good customer service

Andria King Jacksonville, FL

the only storage company i use. very good customer service

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Public Storage is a great company. The prices are cheap and there are so many around the US.

jakira johnson Tallahassee, FL

Great company. They were always professional and easy to talk to.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

I have rented several units from a Public Storage facility. Units were always clean and customer service was excellent.

Katie Lewis Eagle Mountain, UT

Public Storage was really easy to book. I got there picked it up, they explained everything.. really easy to work with. I always get nervous going with different companies but I would go through Public Storage again

Jolene Pleasant Grove, UT

Good price and nice storage. I was able to find just the right size storage unit for my needs. I felt like my stuff was secure and could access it when needed.

Roche American Fork, UT

Clean, convenient, and friendly service. I enjoyed the time I needed to rent a space, they made it so easy for me to move things in and out.