Life Storage Logo

3.6

LAST UPDATED: April 28th, 2022
Life Storage is one of the largest self-storage companies in the nation with over 500 locations in 24 states. They have average prices and offer storage units in eight different sizes, including both interior/exterior storage units with available climate control. They also have 18 hour unit access, which gives them an edge over their competitors. However, they have limited security at their facilities and perform very little maintenance/upkeep on their units.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Public Storage Logo
#3 Public Storage chevron_right
4.1

The Good

• Interior/Exterior Units
  • Climate Control
  • Moving Services

Interior/Exterior Units

Life Storage offers both interior and exterior storage units. They each serve a different purpose and are appealing to different people. Exterior units are nice as you can drive your moving vehicle right to the door for easy loading/unloading. Interior units add an increased level of security as usually the entrance to the building is password protected.

Climate Control

Life Storage has the added option of climate controlled units. Though this is not unique to just life Storage, the service is nice as it can protect items that may be sensitive to extreme temperature changes. For example, wooden furniture can warp, twist, or bend in humid climates, and then split in the winter if the temperatures drop below freezing.

Moving Services

Life Storage not only offers storage units, but they also have services to aid in moving your belongings. For example, they sell moving supplies and have moving vehicles for rent onsite, making the transition to storage an easy one for customers. This is an added convenience that many storage companies have started to adopt, but it is a nice feature that helps to set Life Storage apart.

The Bad

• Limited Unit Upkeep
  • Minimal Security
  • No Reimbursement Information

Limited Unit Upkeep

One of the factors that we take into consideration is the unit upkeep. We weren't able to find any information in regards to how often they clean their units out or maintianed. This could be a problem if you are storing delicate belongings that could be tarnished in a dirty environment.

Minimal Security

Another factor that we take into account is the level of security in place at the companies' facilities. According to their website, Life Storage has a surveillance system in place and a password protected door. We also look to see if a company has a perimeter fence and if there is a resident manager onsite. They scored slightly below average as a result.

No Reimbursement Information

Life Storage fails to disclose the terms of their monthly agreements on their website. They do not disclose information regarding a middle of the month release from a storage unit, or whether a customer would be refunded a portion of the monthly price. This level of ambiguity could be a deterrent to some potential customers as it lacks transparency on the part of Life Storage.

The Bottom Line

Overall Life Storage is a great company. They have many storage unit options, both interior and exterior, as well as 8 different unit sizes, and climate control. The company also provides many services to help their consumers move in to their storage unit, include moving supply sales and moving truck rental. However, Life Storage lacks some security measures that many competitors possess, as well as any information in terms of their leasing contracts, payments, and reimbursement. Overall, if you are looking for an all-in-one moving and storage solution, Life Storage is worth looking into.

3.1

Travis Sheppard Chandler, AZ

Are Life Storage customers “on their own?” April 28, 2022 My family of four looked to Extra Space Storage in September 2021 when we encountered unforeseen circumstances in our living situation. A reality that many Americans and those in the Phoenix Metro area are facing. I received exceptional customer service and had complete confidence in the team. Our storage units located at Life Storage (formerly Extra Space)-Mesa, 8803 E Pecos Rd Mesa, AZ 85212, were purchased by Life Storage just prior to 2022. Life Storage, a publicly traded giant in the self-storage industry, formerly known as Sovran Self Storage, rebranded in 2017 and boasts of having a “customercentric focus, progressive growth, and innovative technologies.” On a recent trip to my storage units (at the above location) I discovered water/foreign substance had come through the roof/walls of both my units and the walls appeared to have oxidation setting into the masonry structure. I reported this to Kristine in the front office via telephone and emailed over pictures to confirm the condition of my units. I did not hear anything back from anyone. I went in person to ask for a walkthrough inspection with a team member, which was done. I was told at the end of the walk-through Life Storage would take no responsibility for any of my belongings in the event they were compromised. I was told the facility has a faulty roof drainage system. This design flaw results in water collected on the roof not having an adequate escape route off the roof. The conduits which are supposed to carry the water off the roof are positioned/designed to where the openings sit above what would be the pooling water line on the roof. Therefore, the water has no gravity assisted way to be carried off the roof resulting in an accumulation, which is entering into the storage units. Dave the manager reached out to me (per my request) and offered me some boxes in the event I wanted to move my things to another unit within the facility. He reiterated, because I declined the thirdparty insurance I was on my own when it came to any of my things needing to be repaired or replaced. When I asked who was going to cover the time and cost of the labor to relocate my things, I was told, “you would.” When I asked who would take responsibility if any of my things were compromised, I was told, “you would.” I reached out to Mr. Philip Wilfong, Regional Vice President, who was prompt in responding to my issue and put me in touch with Mr. Sungsoo Chun, Area Manager. Mr. Chun did not support or condone the way things were handled and did extend an apology. To rectify the issue, he committed to refund me a month of rent and agreed to “take care” of moving my things from the compromised units to neighboring units. During a scheduled meeting in early March to move my family’s things and assess the damage to the contained items Mr. Chun arrived at the storage location with two other employees and a single box dolly to move-out and transfer two 10x10 units. Both full packed. The details of this plan were never discussed with me. He himself and those he recruited were dressed in polo shirts and dress pants. Furthermore, one of the gentlemen with him was at least 30 years my senior. Hear me. This is in no way to demean or diminish his abilities at all. Rather, it was offensive to me for Mr. Chun to suggest I stand by and let a seasoned man (who given his experience and wisdom should be overseeing all of us there, including Mr. Chun) labor in moving my stuff. This would be the equivalent to a very fit and able body thirty- or forty-year-old standing there watching his father move his things in and out of a said location, for most of the day. I took exception to this on the basis; 1) a team with no moving experience was a poor and inefficient use of resources (including mine); 2) who was to be held liable/insured if someone was injured or something was broken; 3) it was dishonoring and disrespectful; 4) demonstrated a lack of ownership and responsibility. When he said “we will take care of moving your things” my expectation, and I believe a reasonable one, was for someone in his leadership role to take full responsibility for the time and finances to hire a moving crew to do it the right way. When I challenged him, it was apparent where his character and leadership fundamentals rest. He refused to pay to have my things moved by a bonified company. When I told him I would be hiring someone and would apply my one-month credit to front the bill his reply was, “well, I’m not going to just write you a check.” When I gave further pushback about his decision making, approach, and communication his response was, "I'm sorry that's how you feel and think...". At one point I asked him directly if he could remember the last time, he moved his family’s belongings himself. I was inviting him to reflect on how realistic his assessment and plan to execute the task at hand was. He replied, “I haven’t.” Therein lies the issue. His mindset and behavior were nothing short of arrogant, unsympathetic, and disrespectful. His team had a front row seat to his standards and embodiment of Life Storage. I never did receive any measure of apology from Dave, Site Manager, since our “you would” conversation over the phone. Nor was Dave present during the first attempt to have my things moved out. I don’t know Life Storage. I know my experience of Life Storage. I don’t know Life Storage’s leadership. I know my experience of Life Storage’s leadership. I don’t know Life-Storage’s values, mission, or vision (they’re not there). Therefore, all I can conclude is what I know of this company from my experience, however myopic that may seem. That is, they are following suit with other mainstream corporations in America that have put their corporate conscience on the alter in the name of things like “large”, “world”, and “growth”. This comes at the cost and degradation of fundamental values like responsibility, accountability, and integrity, which companies like Uncle Bob’s Self Storage was founded on in the late 1980’s. Afterall, my things are just that-things. But, with Life-Storage you may just be “on your own.” Later that month, I had my things moved out of both compromised units and relocated to a different storage company. There was a white substance all over my military duffels and other items.

B Stephens

The place is amazingly clean and the facility is very nice. However, I began renting their in October of 2021. I’ve been their only 5 months and they are increasing the rent by 15 percent! I coukd understand a annual increase but these crooks want an increase after just 5 months and the worst part is they can raise the rent anytime they choose. As they brag about no long term lease terms which is horrible as you have no idea when and how much they will raise your rent. I just wonder when the next increase will come 2 months maybe 3. I would not rent from these people as they will raise your rent only a few months after you sign on. I’m not impressed any longer with life “sucks” storage. B. Stephens H, NV

shirell West Haven, CT

The place in Milford is clean clean clean Renee n Evelyn were great , Renee also let me know all i need to know n they also answered any questions i had , They even had a truck that you could reserve free of charge in order to move your things in , It was a great pleasing exserience for me

Rosemarie Marotta Spring Lake, NJ

I went in for a quote today. I have been viewing an gathering quotes for an upcoming move. I went into the locations in Ocean NJ where the PM told me that the quote for a third floor half a mile away from the elevator 5 x 10 STARTED at 380 a month....THEFT is all I can say...he said it was like having waterfront property....pathetic....THEFT...don't go there.

Shawnrene8 Peoria, AZ

My husband and I wish to acknowledge three people and two different locations at Life Storage. First, and foremost, we must acknowledge Val at storage location# 8401. She immediately made us feel comfortable and proceeded to find us the perfect storage unit, based on our estimated need. There was no question that she could not answer and when we mentioned that we were looking for help moving, she provided us with the name of a moving company that is often seen moving people in and out of this location. She even made sure that we had well-chilled bottles of water to keep us hydrated during our move-in. Val is an excellent first experience with Life Storage! We also want to acknowledge Gabby (sp?) at #8401 and Shaundra (sp?) at #782. Gabby is a sweetheart, just like Val, and was tremendously helpful, as well. She was patient and kind and even stayed a little late to assist us with securing a second storage unit after we realized that we miscalculated on the size unit we actually needed. Shaundra, at storage location #782, assisted us with leasing a 14' box truck and gave us the name of a moving company that she is personally familiar with and trusts to be reliable and fair. We wish to comment on the appearance and cleanliness of both locations. We found both to be immaculate, modern, and secure. Location #8401 opened in April and is an impressive building! Our experience with Life Storage, thus far, has been very positive and we would highly recommend these two locations and three wonderful, professional, and friendly Life Storage associates to anyone seeking climate-controlled storage facilities in the Scottsdale area.

TIFFANY M DAVIS Pensacola, FL

Just a big shout out to Debbie H at the 9 Mile #353 Life Storage in Pensacola Florida. I seriously have no idea how this lady keeps it all running smoothly. The customer service is outstanding be it, getting locked out of your unit, needing to switch units, changing your payment plan etc -- Ms. H is simply the 'go to' for everything! She must sleep there because she's there all the time -- as a professional business person I keep many items for my business in the storage space so I'm there at least 7 times a month and Debbie always has a smile! The grounds outside and around the alley ways of the units is always nice, clean, free of any junk or trash which makes one feel proud to rent at a first class facility. Thank you Life Storage for employing such a great representative that 'Gets the Job Done w/ a SMILE' --

Gary Cream Casa Grande, AZ

Madison s. Was very helpful, professional, knowledgeable and courteous..super friendly and a great asset to LifeStorage..Gary Cream...

Irina Chpitalnik Brooklyn, NY

I received a call from the store manager from store #991 telling me that the trash cans outside the life storage place aren't really trash cans and to come back and take the trash that I left in there. Instead of letting me know in a normal, calm way, she gave me a big attitude and was yelling at me over the phone. I have never been so insulted as I was tonight. I finished the phone call in tears. She is a horrible employee. I will be filing an official complaint against her.

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I rent a storage garage at Life Storage for a collector card I own and find them very easy to do business with. They do raise their rates every year, but to store a car I only needed to show them a copy of my insurance (in addition to the normal required IDs). They are well protected with a security gate and security cameras throughout the property. It's worth the money to have peace of mind.

Chris Quinn Sarasota, FL

Renter beware - Double-digit storage rate increases common...... We received a ridiculous "didn't you read the fine print" response to our question about the anniversary present Life Storage and Joseph S (CEO) gave us; a double-digit storage rate increase with little to no warning. Staff at the local Sarasota, FL are very nice but the idea of a double-digit (13%) storage rate increase during a pandemic is ridiculous. We are caught between a rock and a hard place as we are not close to our storage unit at the moment and can only answer their response; "if you don't like it move out" with "guess we will suck it up".

Paul Bachtel Edmonds, WA

My compliments to Life Storage 318 N Bolder Hwy, Henderson Nevada and Store Manager Denise P. I’m moving cross country and Ms. P has been most helpful in returning my phone calls, answering my questions, and making my storage arrangements. Paul J. Bachtel, Edmonds Washington

Susan Turner Chickamauga, GA

Everyone we have been in contact with in Fort Oglethorpe Georgia has been very helpful and nice. Very clean and safe. If we have to store again we will surely go to life Storage.

lquile Florissant, MO

I have been at this location for approximately 1 month. Due to how unprofessional, and verbally abusive the associates are I will be submitting my notice to vacate today. So, why am I leaving? I rent a spot for my vehicle but unfortunately according to the associate that verbally attacked me yesterday, you cannot do anything to that vehicle while it is there. I was informed that their lot is strictly for storage and that is all. Meaning as she clarified to me that if I wanted to pack it with my belongings, I would have to do that off their lot. Unpacking is the same. If you want to change out the radio or handles in the cab you will have to move it off their lot to do that. Completely perplexed, I asked why and she said it was in the contract I signed. Now, hearing that was interesting because when you sign the contract you don't actually get to read it. you sign a blank screen and then they e-mail it to you in which I did not get a copy of mine. Adding insult is the fact that I was informed that you cannot park your own car in the spot you rent while moving things. I was informed quite rudely btw that if my vehicle was seen there again, it would be immediately towed. I supposed this wouldn't be so upsetting if I was informed in a nice or even professional manner but unfortunately, that was not the case and instead of professionally talking to me, I was berated, belittled, threatened and felt verbally assaulted. Because of all this, I have found another storage that will allow me to actually see and care for my vehicle while in their lot

Christy D Irving, TX

If I could give a zero I would. My dad had been a customer with Life Storage since when the name was Uncle Bob my dad passed away in 2014 and I took over the storage unit in my dad had been a customer with Life Storage since when the name was Uncle Bob my dad passed away in 2014 and I took over the storage unit as far as paying for the rent. I called asking if one day I could get a late fee waived because I was having some issues with the online portal and I was declined for the late fee to be waived by store management. Area director Tim C who was less than professional and ended up hanging up in my face after I continued to plead with him in regards to the late fee. Mind you I have been paying since 2014 every month over $100 that's over $8,000 on a storage unit. So fast forward in this pandemic I needed to pay late because of the loss of income and again faced with a late fee. I wrote a email to Life Storage to see if they would waive the late fee and got a response from the manager at the store saying that rent was due on the 5th and then I would have a late fee. I already knew that I couldn't talk to Tim C because they were all in cahoots with each other so I tried to get in touch with corporate. Several times I was told that someone would reach back out to me from their offline customer support team and I never got a call back. I finally just started calling people that I knew was in corporate through the directory and ended up leaving a message for a VP. I get a call from Guess Who Tim C area manager who tells me that basically he got a message from corporate in the reason why they're not calling me back is because I'm not the primary account holder so therefore at this time they do not want to renew. All because I don't want to deal with him he is retaliating. I will say this company has exhibited no compassion in this situation of people who are going through a hardship and also unprofessionalism. It seemed like if I was a paying a customer they will want to make an executive decision to try to help me out but no and two in response tell me that they're not going to renew my storage space because I complained on him. I would never do business with a company that has no Integrity whatsoever.

simon welch Orlando, FL

I rented two large air conditioned units (10 feet by 20 feet) at a Life Storage facility in Scottsdale, Arizona. I did so for over 10 years, and by my estimates, spent over $80,000. Last month I informed management that I would be vacating the units on July 9, 2019, and completed all the required paperwork. I then got an invoice for the entire month of July. I asked the manager if we could handle the invoice differently (i.e., on a pro-rata basis through the 9th) as I had informed them well in advance of my departure and had been a perfect client at that facility for over 10 years. Below is the response I got. Totally wrong approach and presentation. What a TERRIBLE way to end a 10 year business relationship and leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Needless to say, neither I, nor anybody in my company will be using Life Storage facilities in the future. ====== "Good Morning Simon, You will have to pay the invoice in full unfortunately. If your rent is not paid by 7-5-19 you will incur late fees and be denied access to the space. I am very sorry but you will have to pay the full month's rent even though you will not be occupying the space all month. If we don't receive the payment, I will not be able to allow the movers access until it is paid. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best Regards, Mary" LifeStorage #784

Emily Cincinnati, OH

Cannot discourage anyone enough from renting here. I did last April and moved into a brand new building. 5 months later when I retrieved something from my unit everything in it was soaking wet and moldy. It took 3 weeks for the people at this facility to arrange for me to move into a new unit - I may have been able to save some things in that time. The insurance they sold me does not cover water damage unless the water comes from a pipe or something else in the building that is supposed to hold water - so basically it doesn't cover any water damage. I have now paid over $700 and have a unit full of damages, moldy furniture. Estimated cost I am out is $11,000 at this point including the many days I spent trying to move into a new unit and not being able to. The regional manager is rude on condescending and makes promises he has no intentions of keeping. I've left him messages that he does not return but he claims that he does. In fact I called him 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten a return call yet. I've also contacted corporate on several occasions and haven't gotten an acceptable follow up. they are now refusing to return my phone calls or contact me where warranted. I am in the process of taking legal action at this point. Also if you expect anyone to be there on a Sunday, sorry. They've changed their hours and not updated any of their literature to reflect that.

Karen Fussell Denham Springs, LA

I rented a storage unit from Life Storage in December 2016. Due to it being a last minute need, I didn't price around. Since then, I have had 3 price increases. The customer is required to carry insurance on the contents of the units thru their carrier at their rates. I now pay over double the rate of other comparable storage businesses in the area. Their motto is "Life Cares. " The only time Life Cares is every month when they take your payment. Other than that, customer service is nonexistent. I am now disabled and mobility impaired so moving is not an option and I don't want to lose my personal belongings. Do yourself a favor and save money pricing around

Kevin Buffalo, NY

I would give it zero stars if I could. Been using the interior unit for years and it's been an absolute nightmare! This place is a joke. Avoid it at all costs. They open when they want to open and they are closed quite frequently when they're supposed to be opened. Too many times I went there for something important during their business hours and they were closed. Horrible and Despicable people run this place!

Minzola Johnson Italy, TX

The Staff is really awesome. I've used them twice. And if needed would stick to life storage. Kindness goes along way with me.. M. Johnson

Robert Nelson Colleyville, TX

Had storage unit for several years. Received a price increase of 15%!! Storage units do not seal so you get dirt, leaves, and rats in units! Regional representative told me “pound sand” re. the price increase. AND corporate would tell me to do the same...Moving to UHaul for same price - units located in doors - same price without rat droppings and dirt!!!!

Chris Gardner Rockville, CT

They will rise the price untill you move out. Then they will put you into collections for rent after you moved out. It will hit your credit and will cost 2000$ of unfair collections practices. Your stuff will be moldy for the unit. And will be better off burning the stuff and never ever putting your stuff into storage

Haley Nemmers Boulder, CO

I used life storage to keep my stuff at college when I had to go home for the summer. We got a great price on a unit and it was very secure.

TROY BARBER Tampa, FL

WORST 2+ YEAR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY COMPANY IVE EVER DONE BUSINESS WITH. DECEPTIVE, IMMORAL, CUNNING, MANIPULATIVE, AND HORIFFIC. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS COMPANY STAYS IN BUSINESS AVOID THEM AT ANY COST.

Dwhoush New Orleans, LA

The facilities are very secure and the pricing we pay is very good. The staff is always so nice to us when we are there.

Angelina Hamilton Jackson, MS

Customer service is great! The units are what you’d expect. They are nice and not all beat up. I really feel like my stuff is safe here.

Bob McGinley Bristol, PA

Neil was awesome and extremely helpful. Very patient and friendly!

Rhonda stewart Queen Creek, AZ

Great storage facility. Conveniently located. Clean facility friendly staff

Seth Boudoin , MS

Perfect for storing all of my college furniture. Great prices and I always feel good knowing my stuff is secure.

Sharon Reed Gilbert, AZ

Great storage options with cameras and AC. One of the most secure storage units.

Connie Patchett Corpus Christi, TX

Hurricane Harvey flooded our facility & the people there were not very helpful.

Andre Moore Salt Lake City, UT

Rates differ all over no two stores are the same