Life Storage is one of the largest self-storage companies in the nation with over 500 locations in 24 states. They have average prices and offer storage units in eight different sizes, including both interior/exterior storage units with available climate control. They also have 18 hour unit access, which gives them an edge over their competitors. However, they have limited security at their facilities and perform very little maintenance/upkeep on their units.

U-Haul chevron_right
Public Storage chevron_right
3.8
Extra Space Storage chevron_right

The Good

• Interior/Exterior Units
  • Climate Control
  • Moving Services

Interior/Exterior Units

Life Storage offers both interior and exterior storage units. They each serve a different purpose and are appealing to different people. Exterior units are nice as you can drive your moving vehicle right to the door for easy loading/unloading. Interior units add an increased level of security as usually the entrance to the building is password protected.

Climate Control

Life Storage has the added option of climate controlled units. Though this is not unique to just life Storage, the service is nice as it can protect items that may be sensitive to extreme temperature changes. For example, wooden furniture can warp, twist, or bend in humid climates, and then split in the winter if the temperatures drop below freezing.

Moving Services

Life Storage not only offers storage units, but they also have services to aid in moving your belongings. For example, they sell moving supplies and have moving vehicles for rent onsite, making the transition to storage an easy one for customers. This is an added convenience that many storage companies have started to adopt, but it is a nice feature that helps to set Life Storage apart.

The Bad

• Limited Unit Upkeep
  • Minimal Security
  • No Reimbursement Information

Limited Unit Upkeep

One of the factors that we take into consideration is the unit upkeep. We weren't able to find any information in regards to how often they clean their units out or maintianed. This could be a problem if you are storing delicate belongings that could be tarnished in a dirty environment.

Minimal Security

Another factor that we take into account is the level of security in place at the companies' facilities. According to their website, Life Storage has a surveillance system in place and a password protected door. We also look to see if a company has a perimeter fence and if there is a resident manager onsite. They scored slightly below average as a result.

No Reimbursement Information

Life Storage fails to disclose the terms of their monthly agreements on their website. They do not disclose information regarding a middle of the month release from a storage unit, or whether a customer would be refunded a portion of the monthly price. This level of ambiguity could be a deterrent to some potential customers as it lacks transparency on the part of Life Storage.

The Bottom Line

Overall Life Storage is a great company. They have many storage unit options, both interior and exterior, as well as 8 different unit sizes, and climate control. The company also provides many services to help their consumers move in to their storage unit, include moving supply sales and moving truck rental. However, Life Storage lacks some security measures that many competitors possess, as well as any information in terms of their leasing contracts, payments, and reimbursement. Overall, if you are looking for an all-in-one moving and storage solution, Life Storage is worth looking into.

3.2

Kevin
September 9th, 2019 Buffalo, NY DETAILS

I would give it zero stars if I could. Been using the interior unit for years and it's been an absolute nightmare! This place is a joke. Avoid it at all costs. They open when they want to open and they are closed quite frequently when they're supposed to be opened. Too many times I went there for something important during their business hours and they were closed. Horrible and Despicable people run this place!

Paul Bachtel
August 2nd, 2019 Edmonds, WA

My compliments to Life Storage 318 N Bolder Hwy, Henderson Nevada and Store Manager Denise P. I’m moving cross country and Ms. P has been most helpful in returning my phone calls, answering my questions, and making my storage arrangements. Paul J. Bachtel, Edmonds Washington

Minzola Johnson
August 1st, 2019 Italy, TX DETAILS

The Staff is really awesome. I've used them twice. And if needed would stick to life storage. Kindness goes along way with me.. M. Johnson

Bob McGinley
July 18th, 2019 Bristol, PA DETAILS

Neil was awesome and extremely helpful. Very patient and friendly!

simon welch
July 12th, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS

I rented two large air conditioned units (10 feet by 20 feet) at a Life Storage facility in Scottsdale, Arizona. I did so for over 10 years, and by my estimates, spent over $80,000. Last month I informed management that I would be vacating the units on July 9, 2019, and completed all the required paperwork. I then got an invoice for the entire month of July. I asked the manager if we could handle the invoice differently (i.e., on a pro-rata basis through the 9th) as I had informed them well in advance of my departure and had been a perfect client at that facility for over 10 years. Below is the response I got. Totally wrong approach and presentation. What a TERRIBLE way to end a 10 year business relationship and leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Needless to say, neither I, nor anybody in my company will be using Life Storage facilities in the future. ====== "Good Morning Simon, You will have to pay the invoice in full unfortunately. If your rent is not paid by 7-5-19 you will incur late fees and be denied access to the space. I am very sorry but you will have to pay the full month's rent even though you will not be occupying the space all month. If we don't receive the payment, I will not be able to allow the movers access until it is paid. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best Regards, Mary" LifeStorage #784

Susan Turner
November 2nd, 2018 Chickamauga, GA DETAILS

Everyone we have been in contact with in Fort Oglethorpe Georgia has been very helpful and nice. Very clean and safe. If we have to store again we will surely go to life Storage.

Emily
October 25th, 2018 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS

Cannot discourage anyone enough from renting here. I did last April and moved into a brand new building. 5 months later when I retrieved something from my unit everything in it was soaking wet and moldy. It took 3 weeks for the people at this facility to arrange for me to move into a new unit - I may have been able to save some things in that time. The insurance they sold me does not cover water damage unless the water comes from a pipe or something else in the building that is supposed to hold water - so basically it doesn't cover any water damage. I have now paid over $700 and have a unit full of damages, moldy furniture. Estimated cost I am out is $11,000 at this point including the many days I spent trying to move into a new unit and not being able to. The regional manager is rude on condescending and makes promises he has no intentions of keeping. I've left him messages that he does not return but he claims that he does. In fact I called him 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten a return call yet. I've also contacted corporate on several occasions and haven't gotten an acceptable follow up. they are now refusing to return my phone calls or contact me where warranted. I am in the process of taking legal action at this point. Also if you expect anyone to be there on a Sunday, sorry. They've changed their hours and not updated any of their literature to reflect that.

Karen Fussell
September 14th, 2018 Denham Springs, LA DETAILS

I rented a storage unit from Life Storage in December 2016. Due to it being a last minute need, I didn't price around. Since then, I have had 3 price increases. The customer is required to carry insurance on the contents of the units thru their carrier at their rates. I now pay over double the rate of other comparable storage businesses in the area. Their motto is "Life Cares. " The only time Life Cares is every month when they take your payment. Other than that, customer service is nonexistent. I am now disabled and mobility impaired so moving is not an option and I don't want to lose my personal belongings. Do yourself a favor and save money pricing around

TROY BARBER
August 16th, 2018 Tampa, FL DETAILS

WORST 2+ YEAR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY COMPANY IVE EVER DONE BUSINESS WITH. DECEPTIVE, IMMORAL, CUNNING, MANIPULATIVE, AND HORIFFIC. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS COMPANY STAYS IN BUSINESS AVOID THEM AT ANY COST.

Sharon Reed
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great storage options with cameras and AC. One of the most secure storage units.

TIFFANY M DAVIS
July 16th, 2018 Pensacola, FL DETAILS

Just a big shout out to Debbie H at the 9 Mile #353 Life Storage in Pensacola Florida. I seriously have no idea how this lady keeps it all running smoothly. The customer service is outstanding be it, getting locked out of your unit, needing to switch units, changing your payment plan etc -- Ms. H is simply the 'go to' for everything! She must sleep there because she's there all the time -- as a professional business person I keep many items for my business in the storage space so I'm there at least 7 times a month and Debbie always has a smile! The grounds outside and around the alley ways of the units is always nice, clean, free of any junk or trash which makes one feel proud to rent at a first class facility. Thank you Life Storage for employing such a great representative that 'Gets the Job Done w/ a SMILE' --

Rhonda stewart
July 10th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Great storage facility. Conveniently located. Clean facility friendly staff

Robert Nelson
June 25th, 2018 Colleyville, TX DETAILS

Had storage unit for several years. Received a price increase of 15%!! Storage units do not seal so you get dirt, leaves, and rats in units! Regional representative told me “pound sand” re. the price increase. AND corporate would tell me to do the same...Moving to UHaul for same price - units located in doors - same price without rat droppings and dirt!!!!

Andre Moore
March 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Rates differ all over no two stores are the same

Connie Patchett
March 20th, 2018 Corpus Christi, TX DETAILS

Hurricane Harvey flooded our facility & the people there were not very helpful.