Life Storage Logo

6.2

Life Storage is one of the largest self-storage companies in the nation with over 500 locations in 24 states. They have average prices and offer storage units in eight different sizes, including both interior/exterior storage units with available climate control. They also have 18 hour unit access, which gives them an edge over their competitors. However, they have limited security at their facilities and perform very little maintenance/upkeep on their units.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Extra Space Storage Logo
#2 Extra Space Storage chevron_right
Public Storage Logo
#3 Public Storage chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Interior/Exterior Units
  • Climate Control
  • Moving Services

Interior/Exterior Units

Life Storage offers both interior and exterior storage units. They each serve a different purpose and are appealing to different people. Exterior units are nice as you can drive your moving vehicle right to the door for easy loading/unloading. Interior units add an increased level of security as usually the entrance to the building is password protected.

Climate Control

Life Storage has the added option of climate controlled units. Though this is not unique to just life Storage, the service is nice as it can protect items that may be sensitive to extreme temperature changes. For example, wooden furniture can warp, twist, or bend in humid climates, and then split in the winter if the temperatures drop below freezing.

Moving Services

Life Storage not only offers storage units, but they also have services to aid in moving your belongings. For example, they sell moving supplies and have moving vehicles for rent onsite, making the transition to storage an easy one for customers. This is an added convenience that many storage companies have started to adopt, but it is a nice feature that helps to set Life Storage apart.

The Bad

• Limited Unit Upkeep
  • Minimal Security
  • No Reimbursement Information

Limited Unit Upkeep

One of the factors that we take into consideration is the unit upkeep. We weren't able to find any information in regards to how often they clean their units out or maintianed. This could be a problem if you are storing delicate belongings that could be tarnished in a dirty environment.

Minimal Security

Another factor that we take into account is the level of security in place at the companies' facilities. According to their website, Life Storage has a surveillance system in place and a password protected door. We also look to see if a company has a perimeter fence and if there is a resident manager onsite. They scored slightly below average as a result.

No Reimbursement Information

Life Storage fails to disclose the terms of their monthly agreements on their website. They do not disclose information regarding a middle of the month release from a storage unit, or whether a customer would be refunded a portion of the monthly price. This level of ambiguity could be a deterrent to some potential customers as it lacks transparency on the part of Life Storage.

The Bottom Line

Overall Life Storage is a great company. They have many storage unit options, both interior and exterior, as well as 8 different unit sizes, and climate control. The company also provides many services to help their consumers move in to their storage unit, include moving supply sales and moving truck rental. However, Life Storage lacks some security measures that many competitors possess, as well as any information in terms of their leasing contracts, payments, and reimbursement. Overall, if you are looking for an all-in-one moving and storage solution, Life Storage is worth looking into.

3.2

JOHN M CAMPBELL ,

I rent a storage garage at Life Storage for a collector card I own and find them very easy to do business with. They do raise their rates every year, but to store a car I only needed to show them a copy of my insurance (in addition to the normal required IDs). They are well protected with a security gate and security cameras throughout the property. It's worth the money to have peace of mind.

Shawnrene8 Peoria, AZ

My husband and I wish to acknowledge three people and two different locations at Life Storage. First, and foremost, we must acknowledge Val at storage location# 8401. She immediately made us feel comfortable and proceeded to find us the perfect storage unit, based on our estimated need. There was no question that she could not answer and when we mentioned that we were looking for help moving, she provided us with the name of a moving company that is often seen moving people in and out of this location. She even made sure that we had well-chilled bottles of water to keep us hydrated during our move-in. Val is an excellent first experience with Life Storage! We also want to acknowledge Gabby (sp?) at #8401 and Shaundra (sp?) at #782. Gabby is a sweetheart, just like Val, and was tremendously helpful, as well. She was patient and kind and even stayed a little late to assist us with securing a second storage unit after we realized that we miscalculated on the size unit we actually needed. Shaundra, at storage location #782, assisted us with leasing a 14' box truck and gave us the name of a moving company that she is personally familiar with and trusts to be reliable and fair. We wish to comment on the appearance and cleanliness of both locations. We found both to be immaculate, modern, and secure. Location #8401 opened in April and is an impressive building! Our experience with Life Storage, thus far, has been very positive and we would highly recommend these two locations and three wonderful, professional, and friendly Life Storage associates to anyone seeking climate-controlled storage facilities in the Scottsdale area.

TIFFANY M DAVIS Pensacola, FL

Just a big shout out to Debbie H at the 9 Mile #353 Life Storage in Pensacola Florida. I seriously have no idea how this lady keeps it all running smoothly. The customer service is outstanding be it, getting locked out of your unit, needing to switch units, changing your payment plan etc -- Ms. H is simply the 'go to' for everything! She must sleep there because she's there all the time -- as a professional business person I keep many items for my business in the storage space so I'm there at least 7 times a month and Debbie always has a smile! The grounds outside and around the alley ways of the units is always nice, clean, free of any junk or trash which makes one feel proud to rent at a first class facility. Thank you Life Storage for employing such a great representative that 'Gets the Job Done w/ a SMILE' --

Chris Gardner Rockville, CT

They will rise the price untill you move out. Then they will put you into collections for rent after you moved out. It will hit your credit and will cost 2000$ of unfair collections practices. Your stuff will be moldy for the unit. And will be better off burning the stuff and never ever putting your stuff into storage

lquile Florissant, MO

I have been at this location for approximately 1 month. Due to how unprofessional, and verbally abusive the associates are I will be submitting my notice to vacate today. So, why am I leaving? I rent a spot for my vehicle but unfortunately according to the associate that verbally attacked me yesterday, you cannot do anything to that vehicle while it is there. I was informed that their lot is strictly for storage and that is all. Meaning as she clarified to me that if I wanted to pack it with my belongings, I would have to do that off their lot. Unpacking is the same. If you want to change out the radio or handles in the cab you will have to move it off their lot to do that. Completely perplexed, I asked why and she said it was in the contract I signed. Now, hearing that was interesting because when you sign the contract you don't actually get to read it. you sign a blank screen and then they e-mail it to you in which I did not get a copy of mine. Adding insult is the fact that I was informed that you cannot park your own car in the spot you rent while moving things. I was informed quite rudely btw that if my vehicle was seen there again, it would be immediately towed. I supposed this wouldn't be so upsetting if I was informed in a nice or even professional manner but unfortunately, that was not the case and instead of professionally talking to me, I was berated, belittled, threatened and felt verbally assaulted. Because of all this, I have found another storage that will allow me to actually see and care for my vehicle while in their lot

Paul Bachtel Edmonds, WA

My compliments to Life Storage 318 N Bolder Hwy, Henderson Nevada and Store Manager Denise P. I’m moving cross country and Ms. P has been most helpful in returning my phone calls, answering my questions, and making my storage arrangements. Paul J. Bachtel, Edmonds Washington

Christy D Irving, TX

If I could give a zero I would. My dad had been a customer with Life Storage since when the name was Uncle Bob my dad passed away in 2014 and I took over the storage unit in my dad had been a customer with Life Storage since when the name was Uncle Bob my dad passed away in 2014 and I took over the storage unit as far as paying for the rent. I called asking if one day I could get a late fee waived because I was having some issues with the online portal and I was declined for the late fee to be waived by store management. Area director Tim C who was less than professional and ended up hanging up in my face after I continued to plead with him in regards to the late fee. Mind you I have been paying since 2014 every month over $100 that's over $8,000 on a storage unit. So fast forward in this pandemic I needed to pay late because of the loss of income and again faced with a late fee. I wrote a email to Life Storage to see if they would waive the late fee and got a response from the manager at the store saying that rent was due on the 5th and then I would have a late fee. I already knew that I couldn't talk to Tim C because they were all in cahoots with each other so I tried to get in touch with corporate. Several times I was told that someone would reach back out to me from their offline customer support team and I never got a call back. I finally just started calling people that I knew was in corporate through the directory and ended up leaving a message for a VP. I get a call from Guess Who Tim C area manager who tells me that basically he got a message from corporate in the reason why they're not calling me back is because I'm not the primary account holder so therefore at this time they do not want to renew. All because I don't want to deal with him he is retaliating. I will say this company has exhibited no compassion in this situation of people who are going through a hardship and also unprofessionalism. It seemed like if I was a paying a customer they will want to make an executive decision to try to help me out but no and two in response tell me that they're not going to renew my storage space because I complained on him. I would never do business with a company that has no Integrity whatsoever.

Susan Turner Chickamauga, GA

Everyone we have been in contact with in Fort Oglethorpe Georgia has been very helpful and nice. Very clean and safe. If we have to store again we will surely go to life Storage.

simon welch Orlando, FL

I rented two large air conditioned units (10 feet by 20 feet) at a Life Storage facility in Scottsdale, Arizona. I did so for over 10 years, and by my estimates, spent over $80,000. Last month I informed management that I would be vacating the units on July 9, 2019, and completed all the required paperwork. I then got an invoice for the entire month of July. I asked the manager if we could handle the invoice differently (i.e., on a pro-rata basis through the 9th) as I had informed them well in advance of my departure and had been a perfect client at that facility for over 10 years. Below is the response I got. Totally wrong approach and presentation. What a TERRIBLE way to end a 10 year business relationship and leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Needless to say, neither I, nor anybody in my company will be using Life Storage facilities in the future. ====== "Good Morning Simon, You will have to pay the invoice in full unfortunately. If your rent is not paid by 7-5-19 you will incur late fees and be denied access to the space. I am very sorry but you will have to pay the full month's rent even though you will not be occupying the space all month. If we don't receive the payment, I will not be able to allow the movers access until it is paid. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best Regards, Mary" LifeStorage #784

Emily Cincinnati, OH

Cannot discourage anyone enough from renting here. I did last April and moved into a brand new building. 5 months later when I retrieved something from my unit everything in it was soaking wet and moldy. It took 3 weeks for the people at this facility to arrange for me to move into a new unit - I may have been able to save some things in that time. The insurance they sold me does not cover water damage unless the water comes from a pipe or something else in the building that is supposed to hold water - so basically it doesn't cover any water damage. I have now paid over $700 and have a unit full of damages, moldy furniture. Estimated cost I am out is $11,000 at this point including the many days I spent trying to move into a new unit and not being able to. The regional manager is rude on condescending and makes promises he has no intentions of keeping. I've left him messages that he does not return but he claims that he does. In fact I called him 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten a return call yet. I've also contacted corporate on several occasions and haven't gotten an acceptable follow up. they are now refusing to return my phone calls or contact me where warranted. I am in the process of taking legal action at this point. Also if you expect anyone to be there on a Sunday, sorry. They've changed their hours and not updated any of their literature to reflect that.

Karen Fussell Denham Springs, LA

I rented a storage unit from Life Storage in December 2016. Due to it being a last minute need, I didn't price around. Since then, I have had 3 price increases. The customer is required to carry insurance on the contents of the units thru their carrier at their rates. I now pay over double the rate of other comparable storage businesses in the area. Their motto is "Life Cares. " The only time Life Cares is every month when they take your payment. Other than that, customer service is nonexistent. I am now disabled and mobility impaired so moving is not an option and I don't want to lose my personal belongings. Do yourself a favor and save money pricing around

Kevin Buffalo, NY

I would give it zero stars if I could. Been using the interior unit for years and it's been an absolute nightmare! This place is a joke. Avoid it at all costs. They open when they want to open and they are closed quite frequently when they're supposed to be opened. Too many times I went there for something important during their business hours and they were closed. Horrible and Despicable people run this place!

Minzola Johnson Italy, TX

The Staff is really awesome. I've used them twice. And if needed would stick to life storage. Kindness goes along way with me.. M. Johnson

Robert Nelson Colleyville, TX

Had storage unit for several years. Received a price increase of 15%!! Storage units do not seal so you get dirt, leaves, and rats in units! Regional representative told me “pound sand” re. the price increase. AND corporate would tell me to do the same...Moving to UHaul for same price - units located in doors - same price without rat droppings and dirt!!!!

Haley Nemmers Boulder, CO

I used life storage to keep my stuff at college when I had to go home for the summer. We got a great price on a unit and it was very secure.

TROY BARBER Tampa, FL

WORST 2+ YEAR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY COMPANY IVE EVER DONE BUSINESS WITH. DECEPTIVE, IMMORAL, CUNNING, MANIPULATIVE, AND HORIFFIC. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS COMPANY STAYS IN BUSINESS AVOID THEM AT ANY COST.

Dwhoush New Orleans, LA

The facilities are very secure and the pricing we pay is very good. The staff is always so nice to us when we are there.

Angelina Hamilton Jackson, MS

Customer service is great! The units are what you’d expect. They are nice and not all beat up. I really feel like my stuff is safe here.

Bob McGinley Bristol, PA

Neil was awesome and extremely helpful. Very patient and friendly!

Rhonda stewart Queen Creek, AZ

Great storage facility. Conveniently located. Clean facility friendly staff

Seth Boudoin , MS

Perfect for storing all of my college furniture. Great prices and I always feel good knowing my stuff is secure.

Sharon Reed Gilbert, AZ

Great storage options with cameras and AC. One of the most secure storage units.

Connie Patchett Corpus Christi, TX

Hurricane Harvey flooded our facility & the people there were not very helpful.

Andre Moore Salt Lake City, UT

Rates differ all over no two stores are the same