Extra Space Storage Logo

Extra Space Storage

Is This Your Business?

8.0

LAST UPDATED: December 7th, 2021
Since 1977, Extra Space Storage has been serving America's storage needs. With 910,000 units across the country, customers' are able to choose a facility that's convenient for them. Extra Space Storage has a large span of storage unit sizes to accommodate any storage needs. Their facilities feature security upgrades in addition to the individual locks on units, to make sure possessions are secure and give customers' peace of mind.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Public Storage Logo
#3 Public Storage chevron_right
4.0
Life Storage Logo
#4 Life Storage chevron_right
3.1

The Good

• Extra Security Features
  • Reimbursement
  • Sizes and Other Storage Unit Features
  • Unit Upkeep

Extra Security Features

When it comes to protecting your belongings, Extra Space Storage doesn't mess around. Their facilities feature electronic gates that are only accessible with a code. Also, facilities are monitored with high-end monitoring video surveillance to ensure no unauthorized personnel enter the facility. Each storage unit is protected with locks, and individual door alarms are available for extra protection. Extra Space Storage also keeps it's facilities well-lit and fenced to further prevent suspicious activity.

Reimbursement

Many storage companies lock customers into contracts, making it impossible to get out if the contract if their storage needs change. Extra Space Storage allows customers to end the agreement whenever they need too. As long as they haven't occupied the storage unit the month they want to cancel, customers' are able to remove their belongings without a penalty. Extra Space Storage provides easy solutions for customers' when their storage needs change.

Sizing and Storage Unit Features

Extra Storage Space provides many sizing options for storage units. These units range in size from 5' x 5' to 10' x 30', so there's certain to be a size for your storage needs. Whether you need small spaces for personal belongings or a large space in between moves, Extra Storage Space has options. They also have both indoor and outdoor facilities depending on customers' preference for their belongs. Outdoor units work better for larger items like furniture, while indoor facilities would be more ideal for fragile or personal belongings. Indoor units are climate controlled which ensures items are protected from temperature. Extra Space Storage takes pride in providing options for all customer's needs.

Unit Upkeep

Extra Space Storage keeps all facilities, both indoor and outdoor, clean and secure. They maintain facility grounds and make sure customers' feel like their belongings are safe, clean and protected in their facilities. It's a simple thing to keep well-maintained facilities, but worth it to customers.

The Bad

• Limited Gate Hours

No Moving Truck Rental

Unlike other storage unit companies, Extra Storage Space does not rent out moving trucks. Customers must use their own trucks when moving in their belongings. Extra Space Storage has teamed up with Budget to offer customers a discount and the ability to rent from a Budget Rental facility. While having trucks is by no means a necessity, it is a good option for customers to have.

Limited Gate Hours

Extra Space Storage does not provide 24 hour access to their facilities. They are open from 6AM to 10PM daily.

The Bottom Line

Extra Space Storage is one of the best storage unit facilities nationwide. They provide customers' with a variety of sizing, reasonable pricing and well-maintained facilities. Their high-end security allows customers' to feel like their belongings are safe and protected. We recommend Extra Space Storage for storage needs.

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

I went to a brand new storage unit and received top-tier customer service. The employee/manager was very knowledgeable at the Tallahassee West Tennessee location. He got me a super good deal as I only needed the storage for a very limited amount of time. I also love that you can bring your own lock instead of purchasing one at the location.

Kaela Tallahassee, FL

Extra Space Storage has always provided lovely customer service and I have never run into a problem when partnering with them.

1 day ago

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

Moving for a college student is very hard. But with extra space in my town, they always have extra space for my things when it’s time to move. The employees are respectful and helpful when it comes to the rules.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

I am a college student and Extra Space storage has been a lifesaver for me. They have the best prices for storage units along with excellent customer service. The cleanliness of the facility is also amazing and I will be sure to use Extra Space Storage for all of my storage needs in the future.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Extra space storage was the best place for me to find AC controlled units at a decent price. The employees were very willing to help me find a unit size that worked for me.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

I used Extra Space Storage when moving apartments. The service was great and I loved being able to access the unit whenever I needed.

Sierra Nixon Tallahassee, FL

I have used several Extra Space Storages and each experience was positive. The staff is typically friendly and very helpful.

Kara Turkson Tallahassee, FL

They have climate controlled storage rooms, but even with that, my specific location had roaches and bugs everywhere. They were treating for it, so the incests were mostly dead but I was paying way too much money monthly to potentially get a roach infestation in my items. They also price gouge like crazy.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

Extra Space Storage could do a better job about safety. There is minimal lightening around the lot. So, I don't recommend moving anything valuable at night. There is a gate that requires you to enter a pin, but once inside the lot I don't see many security measures. Someone patrolling at night or cameras would be comforting.

Zariah Tallahassee, FL

This company made moving very easy! I was able to get a great amount of storage space to hold my items. Great customer service as well

Pere Francino Miami, FL

This review is to denounce what I call the modern-age bandits. People who like Captain Drake in the 16th century sailed around expropriating wealth from others. I signed with Davie 16 months ago for a 6x12 unit and what I thought it was a reasonable price. I even recommended this unit to several people, ending up my comments in three friends of myself becoming new clients. Today we received a notice of increase and I looked around in internet. I saw that I was lucky: My rent has ONLY increase by 20%. I have seen many people complaining about increase of over 100%. I called customer service and the (polite) lady told me that if I was not satisfied with the rent I could empty the unit and leave (clean) with one week notice...... I called the unit manager and he explained that "my unit could be rented at almost double the price I was paying). Then I asked why then they would care to offer me half a price only 16 weeks ago.... He answered that prices went up very fast. I am waiting for a reply that should come within two or three days but definitely I will keep you posted. My takeaway is that they would never dare to do this unless we were indulgent with this type of Captain Drake behavior. I will definitely go through the hassle of moving out again unless they can keep the price. I will keep you posted with my final recommendation.

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

I just recently needed a storage unit ASAP and was stuck at work for the day. I was able to go online, rent a unit and have it all set up without having to leave work. Once we had everything loaded up we were able to head down to the unit and found it was super clean, and was a safe location. I was very impressed.

Nelly Nakhon Sawan, 60

I needed a place to store my belongings after my last semester at college. I decided to use Extra Space Storage and had no issues with it. The process was easy and the employees were efficient. None of my things were moved and the space was rather clean when I first got it.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

My Mom passed away last year so we needed a place to put her belongings until we got everything sorted out. As far as I know nothing was moved and everything was kept safe. The unit was fairly clean when her stuff was first moved in and nothing was damaged during its time there.

Nya Nicole Tallahassee, FL

I stored my college belongings here and thyme summer and it was a fast process. Definitely recommend.

Chalice Daniel Tallahassee, FL

Extra Space Storage has great customer service. The employees got back to me very quickly when a unit opened

Melissa Castillo Baytown, TX

The storage unit we use is clean and well-managed at the location. One of the things I don't like about the company is that they go up on the rates without any logical explanation. We have easy access to our belongings.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This storage unit is so helpful for college students moving out. The first one I used had a special discount going on since it was their opening event. Highly recommend this service.

Kori Travis FL

Extra Storage Space is very affordable and has excellent customer service that can help you find a storage unit that is best for you

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

My wife and I were transitioning from moving from an apartment to a house, and there was a two week span in which we had to have things put in storage. Thankfully, they had a pretty good rate for the first month, and we were able to take advantage of that. They had good hours and can’t complain, good security!

Shelbi Griggs Houston, TX

I’ve been using extra space for the past two years and my stuff has been in great condition

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

Extra Space allows for great storage and I used them last year to hold my things for college while moving out. They were even able to give me a student discount and my total for the month only came up to $40! Not only that, but with the climate of the world and the pandemic going on, we were able to sign all papers and contracts virtually and over the phone!

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

I used Extra Space Storage between semesters my freshman year of college and it made my life so much easier. I go to an out of state school, so getting all of my belongings home was not an option for me, and extra space storage was a great price and had great security. None of my items were stolen or damaged within the three months they were left in storage. The staff was very helpful in person and on the phone.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

We use Extra space storage because of the convenience to our home in Pleasant Grove Utah. There are many storage places around but you won't find a more clean, convenient place that you can depend on. They have multiple locations for your convenience. We just have so many holiday decorations that we love to be able to store them out of sight until we need them. It is so convenient. I highly recommend this company.

Tami Allen Gilbert, AZ

We had a storage unit at Extra Space Storage for 2 years when we were renting a smaller home, but were planning to move into a bigger home, so we didn't want to get rid of all our extra furniture and belongings. We live in Arizona, so it was important to me that we find a clean, inexpensive place that offered an air conditioned unit. I didn't want the heat to damage my belongings. Extra Space was always kept clean, and my unit didn't have any pests or bugs in it. We had access to the space when we needed it, and always felt comfortable and safe when we had to go to put something in, or get something out of it. The management was always friendly, kind, and helpful, and we always felt comfortable asking questions or when we needed help. We were able to be billed monthly and have it taken out automatically which was nice. Our lease was just month to month, so when it was time to move out our stuff, we cancelled our contract easily, and quickly.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

Great Customer Service they were able to accommodate me well why I tried to move all my things into storage for school.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

We use Extra Space Storage at work and have always had great experiences there. The staff is very friendly and cooperative and the units are easy to access and very clean

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

We had a few months when we were between homes and needed a place to put all of our stuff. I was so impressed with how clean the facility was secure. We felt safe leaving our stuff there.

Taylor Cordova Provo, UT

Extra space was an excellent fit for us. The staff were excellent and we were able to get our first month free! They had plenty of options and sizes available and great prices.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Extra Space Storage many times. They have the size and the cleanliness that I need and they are easy to go in and out of. I feel like everything is secure and that I can upgrade or go with less space at any time that I please.

Karrie Ogden, UT

We have rented an Extra Space Storage unit for the last few years and it has worked out great. It was cheaper than other storage units in that area and it is very accessible. We will continue to use Extra Space Storage for quite a while.

Craig Orem, UT

I have rented a storage unity from Extra Space Storage on multiple occasions. Every time I do I am completely happy with the result. Their prices are low and the quality is great. If you need a storage unit look into Extra Space!

August Moulton Lehi, UT

I helped my foster daughter put her things into storage here and I thought the entire place was incredibly clean and well maintained. I was impressed with the service and the price of the units. If I ever had need for myself, I would come here first.

Tamara Krause Jacksonville, FL

Great prices and well-kept facilities. Property managers are wonderful! I compared similar units at over 6 different storage companies in my area and none could come close to their price. I even got a free month because I paid for a year in full.

LAURI J CLARK Lindon, UT

I love Extra Space Storage! We needed a secure place for some valuables and at the last minute. We used ESS in Pleasant Grove and I was extremely impressed with the service, cleanliness of the facility and the security! I highly recommend ESS!

Carolynn West Jordan, UT

Only needed my unit for 2 months. It is a very clean facility with easy access. Also I appreciated the flatbeds that were provided to help move our things to the second floor. I'll use them again when I need a storage unit.

soporia moment Tallahassee, FL

Extra Space Storage kept my items in a climent control environment. None of my items were broken and it was kept how I left it.

Simone Harris

Decent storage unit, flexible to needs of storage. The unit themselves were decently spacious with good rates.

Jay B Memphis, TN

SPORADIC LARGE RATE INCREASES WITHOUT APPROPRIATE NOTIFICATIONS Our ministry has been a regular customer at various Memphis Extra Space locations for the past 14 years. Extra Space sends postcards regarding unexpected large rate increases which are sporadic, not at regular intervals. If we don't call about the increase to have it adjusted, they will not give refunds. We recently learned that our credit card was charged an additional $180 for the past 3 months. I called and the increased rate was immediately dropped from a monthly $60 increase to a $10 increase, as has been the case over the years. The regional director, Randy, returned my call regarding our overcharges and claimed that they mailed a postcard regarding the increase. We did not receive anything in the mail regarding this last rate increase. He admitted that they do not send emails regarding rate increases. However, we did receive a sweet "Good-Bye" email the same day we moved out. Randy also claimed that Extra Space will not give refunds. We moved to U-Haul where we were told we would never get rate increase surprises like that. Apparently they've blocked me from leaving a review on their site. Don't do business with Extra Space if you're not wanting to play this rate increase game and find that you need to move impulsively due to their lack of appreciation for customer loyalty.

Juan T Morel Long Island City, NY

I would give them no stars if I could absolutely the worst experience after multiple rebrandings of the business. The newest one is Extra Space Storage same bs in the same spot. After finding out that all my clothes were damaged because somebody decided to smoke marijuana around the area and shut off the sprinkler systems I get told I'm only covered for $2,000 in addition to that I asked what am I supposed to do with all the damage clothes this little West Indian girl who works there tells me I have to take it with me I told her there is no space in my car and then tells me that I have to figure it out then I asked her as a courtesy they should take it since I just took a lost that as a courtesy they should take the destroyed items with them she replied by saying that they will not and if I leave it there and they're going to charge me a clean-up fee the how you going to charge me a clean-up fee when my items were destroyed in your care I don't understand how that even make sense at least have the decency to at least take care of that. Her nonchalant attitude it's really what ticked me off she was not supposed Vedic or empathetic to the situation as I drove all the way from Jersey to go pick up some suits for work and I lost everything the other employees that were there one more sympathetic to the situation needless to say I'm done with this place

C ralston Louisville, KY

We put our stuff in extra space on Preston Hwy by Sams last summer. We felt it was safe until someone cleaned us out!!! Another lock with green tape was put on our storage. The camera that was facing the unit was conveniently moved, so they told us they didn't see anything on the video. They're suppose to check the tapes everyday, but they didn't. I will never trust them again. We were told, "you have insurance, so file it". That made me really madd!! My advise is you better check your storage every week. Someone gave out their code, so they were breaking n2 other units.

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

I like this storage company because of the security it has. So far it was seemed to be a safe place to keep extra stuff and it's easy to get in and out. No complaints here.

Aubrey Rentschler Salt Lake City, UT

We are currently using Extra Space storage and have been impressed. The facility is very clean and secure. I also like the month-to-month pay feature and the automatic withdrawal.

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

We have used them for storage for a few years now. We store extra things that we don't want cluttering up the garage. They have a selection to choose from with price variation depending on what you want.

Thomas Andersen Tallahassee, FL

When my family moved, we used Extra Space Storage in order to get everything out of our house. They had very helpful customer service and were always knowledgeable about what they offer.

Aidan Keogh Ogden, UT

We stored our belonging at Extra Space Storage when were were between homes. The facility was clean and extremely well maintained. We didn't worry about something happening to our stuff

Julie Taylor Ogden, UT

We were between houses for a few months and needed a place to put our furniture. We felt that our stuff was safe and secure at Extra Space Storage. It was clean and well priced.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Extra Space Storage is an useful organization. They have low monthly rates for a variety of storage spaces. I like that the space can be selected by size, price or duration. They make strongly extra stuff easy and convenient.

Sarah Marfo Tallahassee, FL

For college students this is cheap and affordable. Bonus is they will let you split with a group of people so that you can save some money. However one person will have to pay.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Extra Space Storage in the past. I like the location here in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Great service and friendly staff. The nicest storage unit my family and I have ever used.