Since 1977, Extra Space Storage has been serving America's storage needs. With 910,000 units across the country, customers' are able to choose a facility that's convenient for them. Extra Space Storage has a large span of storage unit sizes to accommodate any storage needs. Their facilities feature security upgrades in addition to the individual locks on units, to make sure possessions are secure and give customers' peace of mind.

U-Haul chevron_right
Public Storage chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Extra Security Features
  • Reimbursement
  • Sizes and Other Storage Unit Features
  • Unit Upkeep

Extra Security Features

When it comes to protecting your belongings, Extra Space Storage doesn't mess around. Their facilities feature electronic gates that are only accessible with a code. Also, facilities are monitored with high-end monitoring video surveillance to ensure no unauthorized personnel enter the facility. Each storage unit is protected with locks, and individual door alarms are available for extra protection. Extra Space Storage also keeps it's facilities well-lit and fenced to further prevent suspicious activity.

Reimbursement

Many storage companies lock customers into contracts, making it impossible to get out if the contract if their storage needs change. Extra Space Storage allows customers to end the agreement whenever they need too. As long as they haven't occupied the storage unit the month they want to cancel, customers' are able to remove their belongings without a penalty. Extra Space Storage provides easy solutions for customers' when their storage needs change.

Sizing and Storage Unit Features

Extra Storage Space provides many sizing options for storage units. These units range in size from 5' x 5' to 10' x 30', so there's certain to be a size for your storage needs. Whether you need small spaces for personal belongings or a large space in between moves, Extra Storage Space has options. They also have both indoor and outdoor facilities depending on customers' preference for their belongs. Outdoor units work better for larger items like furniture, while indoor facilities would be more ideal for fragile or personal belongings. Indoor units are climate controlled which ensures items are protected from temperature. Extra Space Storage takes pride in providing options for all customer's needs.

Unit Upkeep

Extra Space Storage keeps all facilities, both indoor and outdoor, clean and secure. They maintain facility grounds and make sure customers' feel like their belongings are safe, clean and protected in their facilities. It's a simple thing to keep well-maintained facilities, but worth it to customers.

The Bad

• Limited Gate Hours

No Moving Truck Rental

Unlike other storage unit companies, Extra Storage Space does not rent out moving trucks. Customers must use their own trucks when moving in their belongings. Extra Space Storage has teamed up with Budget to offer customers a discount and the ability to rent from a Budget Rental facility. While having trucks is by no means a necessity, it is a good option for customers to have.

Limited Gate Hours

Extra Space Storage does not provide 24 hour access to their facilities. They are open from 6AM to 10PM daily.

The Bottom Line

Extra Space Storage is one of the best storage unit facilities nationwide. They provide customers' with a variety of sizing, reasonable pricing and well-maintained facilities. Their high-end security allows customers' to feel like their belongings are safe and protected. We recommend Extra Space Storage for storage needs.

Luna

January 15th, 2020 Potomac, MD

They have a huge amount of storage space for any types of storing. You can also choose the size of the storage room.

Jay B

January 9th, 2020 Memphis, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SPORADIC LARGE RATE INCREASES WITHOUT APPROPRIATE NOTIFICATIONS Our ministry has been a regular customer at various Memphis Extra Space locations for the past 14 years. Extra Space sends postcards regarding unexpected large rate increases which are sporadic, not at regular intervals. If we don't call about the increase to have it adjusted, they will not give refunds. We recently learned that our credit card was charged an additional $180 for the past 3 months. I called and the increased rate was immediately dropped from a monthly $60 increase to a $10 increase, as has been the case over the years. The regional director, Randy, returned my call regarding our overcharges and claimed that they mailed a postcard regarding the increase. We did not receive anything in the mail regarding this last rate increase. He admitted that they do not send emails regarding rate increases. However, we did receive a sweet "Good-Bye" email the same day we moved out. Randy also claimed that Extra Space will not give refunds. We moved to U-Haul where we were told we would never get rate increase surprises like that. Apparently they've blocked me from leaving a review on their site. Don't do business with Extra Space if you're not wanting to play this rate increase game and find that you need to move impulsively due to their lack of appreciation for customer loyalty.

Sarah Marfo

January 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For college students this is cheap and affordable. Bonus is they will let you split with a group of people so that you can save some money. However one person will have to pay.

Roman Christiansen

December 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I needed to store my belonging away I used Extra Space Storage and it was a very nice company! My items were kept very secure.

Sara Smith

December 9th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had a free month of rent which helped us to get stuff out of our house when we were selling it and it was big enough for what we needed.

Megan A McEvoy

November 8th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Extra Space Storage between semesters my freshman year of college and it made my life so much easier. I go to an out of state school, so getting all of my belongings home was not an option for me, and extra space storage was a great price and had great security. None of my items were stolen or damaged within the three months they were left in storage. The staff was very helpful in person and on the phone.

Desi

October 18th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extra Space Storage is a very convenient place to store all my stuff!! Great price too. I always come back because I always know my stuff is in there.

Don Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Convenient business hours. After hours access was also easily available. I liked that I could buy locks and boxes and other packing/moving supplies at the business office. Units were clean and dry.

Ted Johnson

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Extra Space Storage many times. They have the size and the cleanliness that I need and they are easy to go in and out of. I feel like everything is secure and that I can upgrade or go with less space at any time that I please.

kristin Gneiting

September 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We use Extra space storage because of the convenience to our home in Pleasant Grove Utah. There are many storage places around but you won't find a more clean, convenient place that you can depend on. They have multiple locations for your convenience. We just have so many holiday decorations that we love to be able to store them out of sight until we need them. It is so convenient. I highly recommend this company.

Juan T Morel

August 20th, 2019 Long Island City, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would give them no stars if I could absolutely the worst experience after multiple rebrandings of the business. The newest one is Extra Space Storage same bs in the same spot. After finding out that all my clothes were damaged because somebody decided to smoke marijuana around the area and shut off the sprinkler systems I get told I'm only covered for $2,000 in addition to that I asked what am I supposed to do with all the damage clothes this little West Indian girl who works there tells me I have to take it with me I told her there is no space in my car and then tells me that I have to figure it out then I asked her as a courtesy they should take it since I just took a lost that as a courtesy they should take the destroyed items with them she replied by saying that they will not and if I leave it there and they're going to charge me a clean-up fee the how you going to charge me a clean-up fee when my items were destroyed in your care I don't understand how that even make sense at least have the decency to at least take care of that. Her nonchalant attitude it's really what ticked me off she was not supposed Vedic or empathetic to the situation as I drove all the way from Jersey to go pick up some suits for work and I lost everything the other employees that were there one more sympathetic to the situation needless to say I'm done with this place

C ralston

June 28th, 2019 Louisville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We put our stuff in extra space on Preston Hwy by Sams last summer. We felt it was safe until someone cleaned us out!!! Another lock with green tape was put on our storage. The camera that was facing the unit was conveniently moved, so they told us they didn't see anything on the video. They're suppose to check the tapes everyday, but they didn't. I will never trust them again. We were told, "you have insurance, so file it". That made me really madd!! My advise is you better check your storage every week. Someone gave out their code, so they were breaking n2 other units.

Shanae Boully

June 24th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this storage. I like how the storage units are inside a building. I enjoyed having a storage here.

Rylie Crandall

June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the Extra Space Storage storage units because they are spacious an the process of getting a space is easy and fairly quick.

Jason

June 24th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Extra Space Storage because it easy and painless to get a storage space, and has been helpful in the past.

Brittany Bray

May 31st, 2019 Springville, UT

Extra space storage is a safe place to put your belongings. They are also a great company to work for!

Reese

May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used Extra Space Storage in the past. I like the location here in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Great service and friendly staff. The nicest storage unit my family and I have ever used.

Karrie

May 15th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have rented an Extra Space Storage unit for the last few years and it has worked out great. It was cheaper than other storage units in that area and it is very accessible. We will continue to use Extra Space Storage for quite a while.

Craig

May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have rented a storage unity from Extra Space Storage on multiple occasions. Every time I do I am completely happy with the result. Their prices are low and the quality is great. If you need a storage unit look into Extra Space!

Ammonayres

April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We needed to store our stuff for 6 months, and when it came to picking our stuff back up, it was easy as pie. Great company!

JAKE

February 13th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Extra Space Storage in the past and we had no complaints with them. Pretty basic storage units and service. The office staff were helpful. I did feel like it was a little bit unorganized. They were nice though and pretty helpful. They are a good company but not exceptional.

Cristiana

February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I Used Extra Space Storage a couple times once we were in a moving process. I was really satisfy with the service and the customer service. It really attended my needs.

Erikka N

February 7th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Extra Space Storage in the past and they were good as far as storage units go. Pretty basic, nothing exceptional. The office staff were a little bit unorganized but they were friendly. They are helpful but not particularly amazing.

August Moulton

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT

I helped my foster daughter put her things into storage here and I thought the entire place was incredibly clean and well maintained. I was impressed with the service and the price of the units. If I ever had need for myself, I would come here first.

Quinn Johnson

January 31st, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and product features. They are definitely the most professional and high quality when it comes to storage.

Katie Marz

January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have overall had a good experience with this storage company. There were a couple hiccups when we were setting it up, but overall they have been great and super nice to us as customers.

Hailey Nilson

January 16th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extra space storage has been a life saver for me! My home flooded and i needed a place to keep my stuff. They got me a space super quick and easy!

Annie Orr

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Extra Space Storage is a great company for storage! It was very easy for me to get a spot and I have never had any troubles!

Tanner Cook

December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife and I were transitioning from moving from an apartment to a house, and there was a two week span in which we had to have things put in storage. Thankfully, they had a pretty good rate for the first month, and we were able to take advantage of that. They had good hours and can’t complain, good security!

edward reese

December 5th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Lowest 1st month payment of a $1 and had flexible hours to get into the unit. Units where clean and pricing was straight forward.

Mia Hernandez

December 5th, 2018 Tempe, AZ

great place to use haven't had any problems in the past would use again when im looking for the extra space

Tamara Krause

November 19th, 2018 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great prices and well-kept facilities. Property managers are wonderful! I compared similar units at over 6 different storage companies in my area and none could come close to their price. I even got a free month because I paid for a year in full.

Jeff B

November 6th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used these guys and had an unit where there was water damage from the roof. I was compensated quickly for his furniture that was damaged. Good company and I would use them If needed.

Michael

November 5th, 2018 Calabasas, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had a unit now for four months and am pleased with the service. Access is easy with a good access window of hours. All units are located inside a climate controlled building which gives added protection to the stored items. Sign up was a snap and the costs are reasonable. Would recommend them.

Dylan Curtis

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had 2 storage units for 9 years and while on hindsight we wish we would have just gotten rid of much of our stuff, they kept it safe for us.

Tevita

September 12th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Used one of their new buildings that have climate control in it. It was a very clean facility and reasonable prices.

LAURI J CLARK

August 28th, 2018 Lindon, UT

I love Extra Space Storage! We needed a secure place for some valuables and at the last minute. We used ESS in Pleasant Grove and I was extremely impressed with the service, cleanliness of the facility and the security! I highly recommend ESS!

Nik Anderson

August 23rd, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Used them for 6 months while our home was being built. Good prices and no long term contract needed. Clean and secure facility right up the road. Highly recommend.-

Bella Houtz

August 21st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Extra Space Storage has been so nice to have! They are realiable and really easy to keep in contact with. They also have great customer service.

Hunter

August 21st, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I love the extra space storage air is so clean it’s open 24 hours you can go in whenever you want and the customer service is very good.

Lo Tuifua

August 20th, 2018 Sacramento, CA

I used them in Elk Grove. It was good. Had one issue will billing- however they did resolve it. Everything was clean and in good shape.

Carolynn

August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Only needed my unit for 2 months. It is a very clean facility with easy access. Also I appreciated the flatbeds that were provided to help move our things to the second floor. I'll use them again when I need a storage unit.

Taylor Vance

July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They gave me a hard time about having to purchase renters insurance to cover the stuff I stored there, that was kinda annoying. The also did not inform me that you need to either bring your own lock, or buy theirs for $18! Actually using the unit was great, just the process of getting signed up was not a great experience.

Brayden D.

July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Extra Space Storage is one of the best storage organizations especially for me. It is right next to my house and it isn’t expensive so it is perfect for me and my family.

Tami Allen

June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We had a storage unit at Extra Space Storage for 2 years when we were renting a smaller home, but were planning to move into a bigger home, so we didn't want to get rid of all our extra furniture and belongings. We live in Arizona, so it was important to me that we find a clean, inexpensive place that offered an air conditioned unit. I didn't want the heat to damage my belongings. Extra Space was always kept clean, and my unit didn't have any pests or bugs in it. We had access to the space when we needed it, and always felt comfortable and safe when we had to go to put something in, or get something out of it. The management was always friendly, kind, and helpful, and we always felt comfortable asking questions or when we needed help. We were able to be billed monthly and have it taken out automatically which was nice. Our lease was just month to month, so when it was time to move out our stuff, we cancelled our contract easily, and quickly.

Marlene

May 1st, 2018 Taylorsville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had them for one year and they raised my rate twice.

JRosa

April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I found extra space to be the best storage unit for my money.

Dee

March 26th, 2018 Cypress, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were very accommodating, the units were clean, well lit and good hours for accessibility.

MARCO GARZA

March 20th, 2018 Gilroy, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Raising prices for a small unit, but customer service are great

Orelma Matthew

March 20th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I stored my family stuff for over 4 years and it was in great condition when i went to get them out