Devon Self Storage Logo

Devon Self Storage

Is This Your Business?
LAST UPDATED: September 7th, 2021
With storage facilities in 15 states, Devon Self-Storage comes at a relatively low price compared to other companies in the industry. On top of the relatively low price, the company offers good access hours as well as regularly cleaned and maintained units. On the downside, the company does not disclose much information. Additionally, the company does not offer a moving truck rental like many other companies do.

U-Haul Logo
#1 U-Haul chevron_right
Public Storage Logo
#3 Public Storage chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Low Price
  • Climate Controlled Units
  • Customer Service
  • Moving Supplies

Low Price

One of the things we like most about Devon Self-Storage is that it offers a relatively low price compared to others in the industry. The price of an 8' x 12' unit in March 2017 came to $57 per month. Many other companies feature prices $80 and above. With Devon, you can be sure that you'll get a good rate.

Climate Controlled Units

Many consumers look for climate controlled units so that they can keep delicate, valuable items safe from cold or very warm weather. Thankfully, every unit that Devon Self-Storage offers is climate controlled.

Another great aspect about Devon Self-Storage is that it provides good customer service. To determine this, we looked at the company's access hours as well as whether the company performs regular cleaning or maintenance on units. The access hours of the company are decent, being open from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm. Additionally, the company makes sure that every unit is clean for tenants to store their belongings.

Moving Supplies

Getting everything in order for your big move can be tricky. Devon Self-Storage strives to make it a little bit easier by providing moving supplies such as boxes, packing materials, furniture covers, gloves, and more. Of course, these materials do come at a cost, but Devon guarantees a competitive price as well as having the materials in stock.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Information
  • No Moving Truck Rental
  • No Unit Locks Offered

Undisclosed Information

One of the biggest downfalls about Devon Self-Storage is that some of the information we tried to collect is not available on its website. First, the company does not disclose whether the storage units are indoor or outdoor. If all of the units are climate controlled, we could assume that means they are indoor units; however, we never want to assume, so we recommend checking with the company on that point. Additionally, some companies will reimburse customers for the time they do not use in the month once they move their things out of storage; however, we were not able to find any mention of this kind of offering, which probably means the company doesn't offer it.

No Moving Truck Rental

Many top companies offer a moving truck rental service to help you get your belongings from point A to their facility. Unfortunately, Devon Self-Storage does not offer this useful feature. If you need to rent a moving truck in addition to your storage unit, you'll have to look someplace else for that.

No Unit Locks Offered

No matter what you're storing, you want to know that your belongings are kept safe. Fortunately, the company has security measures in place to protect the facility such as video surveillance and an access control system; however, we were unable to find any mention of the company providing or selling locks to consumers for their individual units. The company may provide locks at select facilities, but we are unsure about this offering company-wide.

The Bottom Line

The low price is one of the best things to like about Devon Self-Storage. On top of that, the climate control, clean units, and moving supplies make the company a solid option; however, there was some information that was hard to gather from the company's website that potential consumers would want to check on before jumping in. Additionally, the company does not provide a moving truck which isn't necessarily a must but can certainly be useful. We recommend comparing Devon Self-Storage with other options, such as the top-rated companies, before making a decision.

3.9

mrgcav Milwaukee, WI

Doreen and staff are helpful. The unit I had was in good shape. I got a three month new customer rate discount. i thought it was a good deal. I had lots to learn. You are forced to buy their lock. You are forced to take their insurance. So come prepared with your own locks and proof of insurance. HOWEVER after the three months were up my rate went up as planned and then the rates increases started. I was not happy with the standard rate of $235.00 for a 10 x 25 outdoor unit. But that is what I agreed to. Then they wanted an additional $25.00 a month! FOR WHAT ??? I emailed a complaint and got "policy" dictated to me. they handled the situation poorly, This was bad business. I told them I would be writing reviews like this on several platforms. I raised such a fuss that the regional manager called me. By then I had found a much better and cheaper place. The Regional manager offered to waive the rent increase. He tried to convince me that $235.00/month was below the area average. BS I told them " Thank you for raising my rent again and driving me to the competition. Now I am saving lots $$$." My advice, this is NOT the place for long term storage. they give you a teaser discount in the beginning and make up for that discount with rent raises in the end. Shop around and plan at least two months ahead. A 10 x 20 unit in Milwaukee goes for $100.00 - 150.00 a month outdoors. The 10 x 23 I found is indoors, climate controlled, Illuminated, free dollies, 24 hour access, no contract, Free locks all for $122.00 a month plus 90 days half off move in special. Plus guaranteed no more that a possible $10.00 per month annual rent increase. I am so glad I moved out of DEVON.

Cindy Allen Irving, TX

Our daughter was leaving the area at the end of the semester and we we’re in quite a jam. The manager was amazing and helped us out even though it was crazy busy because of student move out day. He helped us with boxes tape packing everything! Plus while we were in the office The staff dealt with a completely unreasonable customer who was unhappy with the floor plan shape of her storage. The manager kept his cool and handled her very nice - great team!

Rick Hamilton Grand Rapids, MI

Ya lowest price, then once you move in then rate keep going up every 2 months

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Shopped for units at Devon and like that they converted many older buildings but lack of exterior drive up units was a deal breaker for me.

Sarah Charlotte, NC

Absolutely amazing customer service from a lady by the name of Melody. She was very friendly and helpful. I definitely would recommend this to friends. Overall great experience.

Chris Charlotte, NC

I’m very pleased with the customer service at Devon Storage. Jessica was especially nice to work with.