Robert Half Logo
Founded in 1948, Robert Half initially provided staffing for just accounting businesses. With the desire to provide expertise on the field, recruiters thoroughly researched accounting businesses and then passed their research on to applicants in order to make them more appealing candidates for open positions. Their tactic worked. Today, Robert Half is considered the first and largest staffing agency for accounting businesses. Over the years they've expanded to include six other fields, and they've been steadily growing. In 1986 they brought in $7 million, and as if that weren't impressive enough, they made $4.2 billion in 2013. With headquarters in Menlo Park, California, the company also has 400 locations around the world. It is the parent company of Protiviti, which has 70 locations in 20 countries outside the US. The current CEO of Robert Half is Harold M. Messmer Jr., and Paul F. Gentzkow is the president. More than ten thousand employees strong, Robert Half has quite the reputation. As of 2014, it has been recognized as one of Fortune Magazine's Most Admired Companies for 15 years in a row, and it has also received awards for being one of the best places to work, having strong ethics, having great human resources, and even being eco-friendly.

Aerotek Logo
Aerotek chevron_right
2.5
Randstad Logo
Randstad chevron_right
2.3

The Good

• Reputation
  • Industries
  • Expert advice
  • Staffing opportunities
  • Availability
Robert Half is a strong competitor because of its reputation and years of experience. They've proven that they will work hard, stand out in their field, and provide the services they promise. Another perk of being in the business for so long is that they know how to manage themselves throughout economic distress. As long as you're interested in one of the fields they focus on, they will do whatever they can to educate you about the industry, connect you with employers, and give you information you need. Robert Half focuses on seven specific industries:
  • Accounting
  • Finance
  • Management
  • Office (such as administrative tasks and other desk jobs)
  • Technology
  • Law (for attorneys, paralegals, and legal support)
  • Creative works (such as marketing, design, public relations, etc.)
Because the company focuses on seven specific fields, you'll enjoy expert advice from these recruiters. The company website features a lot of information about the research that these recruiters have done about salaries, hiring tactics, workplace conduct, and success in a smaller business, among other areas. They pride themselves on knowing the details about each industry and can therefore help you become a more appealing candidate. They also offer temporary, temporary-to-hire, and full-time staffing opportunities. So whether you just need some short-term work or are in it for the long haul, the recruiters will work to understand your needs and fit you in with a company that matches them. Robert Half offices are widespread in the US as well as international. They have the resources to set you up with a position in almost any type of area. And their services are free to use. They make their profits off of their client companies, so all you have to do is create an account to use their resources.

The Bad

• Complaints
  • Account
The opinions of past and present employees and applicants make a statement as well. Even with their proven experience and process, there are reservations associated with Robert Half. Common complaints include:
  • Little room for advancement
  • Miscommunication with recruiters
  • Micromanagement
Many individuals say that if you're not assertive enough as an applicant, you may not hear back from recruiters very often. You might feel more like a number on a waiting list rather than a priority. Job seekers will need an account with Robert Half to search and apply for jobs. That's not out of the question; most staffing agencies ask that you create a profile with them first. But what's limiting about Robert Half is that you can't get many questions answered until you humor them and select a division you're interested in. In this way, you feel a little shuffled through a system, which can be restricting. And if you don't fit nicely onto one of their seven categories, you're out of luck.

The Bottom Line

Robert Half has an overall excellent reputation, industry awards, and decades of experience. They've had a lot of time to hone their skills at getting you a job. So if you have your heart set on one of their seven specialties, you'll be in great hands because they perform detailed research. It's important to the people at Robert Half that their applicants are well prepared and educated about their field and position. But be warned, you may need to be a little more assertive than you would with other staffing agencies. If you want to stay in the recruiters' minds and stand out as an applicant, be prepared to make some phone calls, regularly update your profile, and do your part to land a job.

1.0

Max Casper Armonk, NY

Worst staffing agency in history. They won't tell you the company name which obviously bodes horribly for you because let's say you don't like the company, then you look bad for not vetting companies before being submitted. Recruiters seem super unknowledgeable and I wouldn't trust them with anything, you are better off begging for jobs on the street and I would probably recommend it.

Anon Englishtown, NJ

As someone who's been applying to jobs with Robert Half for years, I can safely say this is a horrible recruiting company. No matter how many times I apply for a job, I rarely hear back, and when I do, it's rarely about the job but about my experiences and etc, over and over. Few years ago, when I called to inquire about my application and ask why I was not getting responses, I was told it's because I didn't have enough experience (despite job postings saying otherwise). My main issue is, why not tell me this in a response to an email application? Why have me call you? My experience with Adecco has been superior, and I've had more communications and assignments in one quarter there than I ever had in my six years of using Robert Half. Some recruiters continue to ignore me even after I send a follow-up email. I would not recommend this company, as in my experience it's usually on or back to square one.

anon Culpeper, VA

They will set you up for an interview, you go spend over an hour of your time there, ace the interview, then finish with a firm hand shake. Then your "friendly" recruiter tells you they have feedback and claims that they said you were sitting there swearing like a sailor. Gee, would most people give someone like that a plant tour and have an interview with them for over an hour if they were a piece of human garbage? Then if you dare speak in your defense, you will be attacked and yelled at. Oh, but remember you are the unprofessional one right? It is one thing to pass up a candidate for someone else with better credentials, but another thing to smear someone's character. So if you like a nice dose of libel topped with slander, by all means apply with this place.

Rh937 Oakland, CA

Recruiter called me at an inconvenient time and when I tried to tell her a good time for me to do a FaceTime interview she interrupted me and pressured me into taking another interview time where I specifically told her I would be busy. Then she asked what my pay range was so I told her and instead of telling me about job opportunities within this pay range (which was very reasonable), she pressured me some more and tried to lowball me on the pay and said I shouldn’t be expected to be paid that much because of my lack of experience (even though I’m a recent grad with a decent work history). I was mostly annoyed that she had the nerve to imply that I was asking for too much even though I’ve gotten other offers for similar positions at a much higher hourly rate. Never going through Robert Half again! Randstad is a lot more professional and offer higher hourly amounts! Also this review is based on the one recruiter I spoke with. I’m sure not all of their recruiters treat people like this but one bad experience is enough for me.

Lily Gotishan Rancho Cordova, CA

if i could give a zero star i would, Robert Half is the most crappiest agency to go through, people save your time and run from them, the recruiters invite you in for an interview then vanish they never return your emails or phone call and if you do get a hold of them they give you a stupid excuse that the job is gone or they dont hear back from employers

Susan Spring, TX

Absolute waist of my time trying to get employment through Robert Half. Their website does not show jobs or a good contact number. Finally got in touch with someone who gave me an email address for a recruiter. Emailed the recruiter, attached my Resume and got no reply or phone call. Can't set up an appointment on the website, via phone call OR email. Waist of time.

Elizabeth Pina Brighton, MA

Rude, inconsistent, and unprofessional. Communication was all over the place, recruiter would call outside of courtesy hours, and would pressure me towards a position I was overqualified for. The staff when I met in person (with the exception of Julie D.) and over the phone were as rude as can be. Save your precious time and energy and avoid this company! They just want to fill slots and don't regard people as human beings.

nettiegurl

Don't bother. They send out daily and weekly Hot Jobs they claim they need filling but don't return emails. When you call the office to speak to a recruiter, no one is ever at their desk or available to talk. No followup, no response. Just all around rude and unprofessional. A big dumb waste of time. There are better recruiting sources out there who will treat you like a human professional.

JoAnn Garcia Herriman, UT

They never get back with you, I was set up for a job Jake interviewed me and i did all the paper work and he said i will start a job on monday I emailed him daily and never heard back from anyone this company is worthless, do not use them

Anon Philadelphia, PA

Extremely unprofessional. Their employees have zero knowledge of company rules and regulations. They do everything in their power to not pay what you are owed. Stay away from them

Lynn Boston, MA

Robert Half is the worst staffing agency that I have ever had experience with. Their employees are unprofessional, incompetent, and rude. I do not recommend to any business or job seeker.

djc Allen, TX

Unprofessional & Immature Hugh lack of communication - I am very disappointed!