Manpower

5.0

Founded in 1948, Manpower is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and they've got offices throughout the United States as well as in 80 countries around the world.

Manpower is one of a handful of companies overseen by the parent company called Manpower Group (not to be confused with just "Manpower"). Aside from Manpower, they also own Experis, Right Management, and Manpower Group Solutions. More than 10,000 employees strong, Manpower has 400,000 clients and claims that they help 600,000 people like you find jobs every day. With several decades of experience up their sleeves, Manpower sure has the resources to help a wide variety of job seekers.

Manpower functions primarily through the easy-to-navigate manpowerjobs.com, where job seeker can create a profile, search for jobs, upload your résumé, and hopefully connect with recruiters.

#1 Aerotek Logo Aerotek ›

6.3

Overall
Score

#2 Kelly Services Logo Kelly Services ›

6.2

Overall
Score

#3 Randstad Logo Randstad ›

6.0

Overall
Score

#7 Manpower Logo Manpower

5.0

Overall
Score

The Good

• Free services
  • Benefits program
  • Wide variety of industries
  • Position options
  • Website

Manpower's services are completely free. They won't charge you a cent for working with their recruiters, searching for jobs, or networking through them.

In addition, they offer a significant benefits program. If you're eligible, you'll receive healthcare coverage, a 401(k), referral bonuses, paid holidays, and training that could help you stay appealing to the industry you're applying in. Keep in mind, though, that benefits packages vary by location.

With so many child companies coupled with years of experience, Manpower caters to a wide variety of industries:

• Accounting and finance
  • Customer service and call centers
  • Creative and marketing
  • Human resources
  • Industrial and manufacturing
  • Skilled trades
  • Transportation

Manpower has connections in a wide variety of industries which is not surprising, since they have so many connections and exist practically all over the world. This is good news for job seekers because it means you can contact Manpower with almost any need and they will likely be able to help.

The company sets applicants up with temporary, temporary-to-hire, and permanent positions. So whether you're looking to start a career or just fit in some contract work, Manpower serves as a great resource.

The job search on their website is a highlight too. Without registering on the site (though you'll want to do that eventually), you can search through their available jobs, and the site will pull up the industry, posting date, and type of position that's open. The only reason you'll want a profile is that it makes the recruiters' job easier of connecting with you, reviewing your career goals, and matching you with the right positions.

The Bad

• Long hours
  • Complaints
  • Reputation

Many employees and applicants of Manpower have complained that the work they found through certain locations included very long hours. In addition, some of their client companies weren't too credible (though it was reported that the staffing agency itself remained respectable). That being said, if you do work through Manpower, beware of the companies you apply to and make sure they would treat you right. Common complaints include:

• High turnover rates
  • Feeling replaceable
  • More seasonal than permanent

Some also say the company carries a reputation of having a high turnover rate and mostly temporary positions, not permanent ones. So Manpower might not be the company that will land you a full-time career.

It's easy to find their contact information, but depending on your location, you may not always get the best help.

The Bottom Line

When all is said and done, Manpower is one of the most trusted brands in the staffing industry. Because they have so much experience and exist on a global level, they have the resources to help you land the job you need. But be aware that you might find more temporary, less permanent, work through them. The good news is that they're free, though, so it can't hurt to give them a try.

If you do decide to use Manpower's services, be sure to keep your profile updated so their recruiters have your most recent information. In many ways, the company has much of a "Help us help you" approach. Like with any staffing agency, you need to do your part to market your skills and network with the right people. But unlike some staffing agencies, Manpower has a heck of a website and impressive statistics that you could become a part of.

Kadeem Morrison

December 9th, 2017 Ocala, FL

Worst company I've ever dealt with. I found out about this opportunity in early November on Facebook. When I saw the Warehouse Worker position I was super excited because it ties in with my field of Packaging Engineering, the salary was $17/hour and most of all it was temporary allowing me to find a career as an Engineer. I contacted this headhunter in the Jacksonville office through email and the next day she called me and instantly said I was accepted to the job and I was happy because it was legitimate and was with FedEx. I noticed something suspicious when she said that she was going to email me my profile information and she didn't after four days since I gave her all my information. So I called her cell number (which was what she called me with), her work number and emailed her multiple times to no avail. I didn't get a response from her until I contacted her boss. After speaking with her boss, she sent me the information to start the hiring process such as rules and regulations, social security, etc for background check purposes. Afterwards I was officially hired by Manpower. I completed it and I was still suspicious because I never got my hours or the company name from her or Manpower Staffing in Jacksonville through email or phone call. About a month later I was super suspicious because I was supposed to start the following week. I then called the headhunter and she told me that job was given to someone else and that I will be used as a backup. SO THIS WHOLE TIME I WAS A BACKUP IN CASE THE ORIGINAL PERSON QUIT OR GOT FIRED. This whole time after I was officially a Manpower employee, I stopped applying to seasonal jobs which has truly screwed me because I'm running out of money from college. And this was also a terrible time because tomorrow (December 10th) is the deadline to file for insurance for the year and this is absolutely awful because I told my mom and I would of had to pay a lot of money for insurance or not even have it and still pay a lot of money which I wouldn't even have thanks to the way insurance works today. So I had to have my mom change the information about my future pay information to the insurance at last minute.

Hyrum

November 4th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I had a great experience with Manpower. I went to them after high school with the hopes of getting a decent job to save some money. I got a good job through them at a local logistics company that turned into a full time position with the company itself.

Independent Business Man

November 1st, 2017 Beverly Hills, CA

I responded to an Indeed email from a female recruiter at Manpower GroupSolutions 2 days ago. We scheduled a phone interview two days later to discuss "available positions" they currently offering. The phone interview was scheduled afor11:30am and as of 12 noon the female recruiter has yet to call or respond through email to possibly reschedule. And because of that immature unprofessionalism, I'm hereby rating this company an one star. Avoid this company at all cost if you can. And especially ignore these immature unprofessional college dropouts working as recruiters with Cincinnati firms.

You won't contact me anyway

June 27th, 2017 Manchester, NH

I was working with manpower on a job the lady said I was perfect for. (She contacted me by the way) Obviously I was not what the company wanted because I never heard back from her again. I emailed her for feedback a couple of times but never heard from her. Not being considered is fine, it happens. But to be ignored by manpower after I jumped through all the hoops they asked me to is far worse. I felt like just because I wasn't considered for the position, I was not worth the time of day for any feedback. Just because someone was not considered for a position does NOT make them worthless. Show some respect Manpower.

Rather not say

November 13th, 2016

I've been with Manpower for about 3 months now and they haven't offered me one job yet. Until they then called me at 3pm when I was out to say they had a place for me. When I called back I had no answer. I called four times on different days when the staff are in. I've not heard from them since. Awful rude staff don't even call back!

Rather not say

November 13th, 2016

Anthony Medlin

September 22nd, 2016 O Fallon, MO

A Representative at Man Power told me they would charge 15% upfront after i hire a carpenter they find for me, Being that that person has the unfortunate label of unemployed, it doesn't particularly sound like a very safe idea for me to take a chance at 15% of there yearly income down, if you will only have a 30 day guarantee so if he worked 31 days and decided he'd rather collect welfare. their is absolutely no protection for me. Obviously man power's service would be more fair and probably more Profitable if they charged the employer 15% of their income every month. as long as he is still working. Oh and also they lady i spoke to thought it necessary to tell me 17$ an hour was too low to pay a good carpenter. All in all my tax dollars were wasted, It's more like you are providing employers with a Casino.

Bill Smith

May 24th, 2016 Chicago, IL

I was hired for a job that didn't exist and strung along for weeks before I found out i was still unemployed. Then given bad information about another job because the recruiter didn't understand how information that was given to her.

Hunter B.

February 9th, 2016 Waco, TX

They got me a job when I needed it. It was easy to do as well.

Stan

February 9th, 2016 Waco, TX

I got a job with Manpower during Christmas last year. I need some extra cash and they found me a gig pretty quickly and I didn't have to pay them anything which was nice. I never planned on staying long, so it was a good option. I wasn't looking for a permanent job though, so it worked out for me.

RYAN

January 31st, 2016 TX

These guys put a lot of people to work so I can see why some people would be upset. For me I'm just grateful for a job. I went through other websites looking for employment and I finally got it with manpower.

Ami foxhill

June 29th, 2015 Harker Heights, TX

I a honorable veteran, and I was looking for a job that fit my experience and manpower sold me their warehouse position. And to me a job is a job now weather you progress in that job is the real question. They did my background check, and drug screening there was nothing wrong at all. I get hired to go work for a company call wilsonart international. And first manpower warns me about the section (assembly section) which was who I was assigned to and I was told if their was any problems let them know and they gave me abother place or postion. So I get to the job I had no problem with hours or the job. It's the easyst job I have ever had. Everyone there was older then I was and had kids my age, and I'm not ghat young I'm only 28 and I'm married with kids. So of the bat the former already made me feel uncomfortable by the way she was talking down to me on my first day of the job. So I didn't say an thing I figured it would pass by. U work with someone different everyday and all of them have been working for this company over 10 years. But every single one of them is over 50 years old and they talk about each other everyday. And they complain about their company and their job but yet I'm getting 10 dollars an hours to work their and they get paid over 19 an hour. So it gets worse I call manpower and I tell them hey I'm really uncomfortable with these negative thoughts and is their anything they can do about it, and they tell me I should get a call within a weeks time. Never got a call, if you made the forman man she changed the hours that you clocked in and sent less hours that you worked so yoh get paid less, they everytime I work with someone from a different shift my Forman from my shift female pulls me the office and tries to get information about people, so I said hey I'm not that type of a person, and I would appreciate not being dragged around for drama, if u express ur self within the person your working with about family or regular talk it gets back to the forman. And she randomly pull u aside to ask you question about it. If you work late because the person who's been working there for years and is actually responsible for know patterns and understanding paperwork dragged their selves the whole shift just walks around talking and chillingwhen it's time to go home they blame you for them working late. Somthing you can control, it became so uncomfortable the forman arguing with people in public loud and she's so disrespectful, out of control and all about the drama. You work in silence for 8 hours you don't even want to talk or smile because you get question why you smile why your talking to someone. I again called manpower to tell them and ask to be removed and they said they will call.me back it's been 2 weeks since, so I ended getting a new contract to go back in to another deployment. It's just so sad that I would rather be deployed and then be working for manpower, truly they made me reliaze they didn't care wether we worked and did care that we were mistreated.