Trustwave is a company that provides Internet security for businesses. They are a privately held company that provides SSL certificates for more than 3 million business customers in almost 100 countries. In 2014, they were named one of the leaders in managed security services by Forrester Research. They are based out of Chicago, IL and have global offices in London, Brazil, and Australia. One of the neat facts about the company is that they are the only authorized PCI Forensic Investigators in all regions of the world.

The company filed for IPO in mid-2011, but the company still remains private. There are more than 1,000 employees with the company. Trustwave is on the verge of becoming a global-based company. In early April 2015, Singapore Telecommunications announced their intentions to purchase this company for nearly $1 billion. This acquisition promises to raise Trustwave’s standing as a global Internet provider of SSL certificates.

Cheap SSL Shop chevron_right
CheapSSLSecurity chevron_right

The Good

• Pricing
  • Wide variety of products
  • Green bar in web browser
  • PCI compliance
  • Money back guarantee

We felt like Trustwave had some pretty outstanding features. We liked the wide variety of SSL certificates available, which signifies the appropriate product for all sizes of business. We also felt like their products were affordable and came with all the standard features in the SSL industry.

Pricing

Trustwave's prices tend to fall in the mid-level for SSL certificates, ranging from standard, single certificates to higher-priced wildcard certificates. Here are some of the prices for SSL certificates that we found, with a 3-year commitment:

• Premium SSL: $118.67 for three years.
  • Wildcard SSL: $451.67 for three years.
  • EV SSL: $383.00 for three years.
Wide Variety of Products

In the industry, we often found that there were a limited number of Enterprise-level certificates available. Most Enterprise-level SSLs that we saw included enhanced validation. However, not every enterprise-level business will need an SSL with EV. We found that there was a Premium SSL Enterprise Certificate that did not include EV, but offered higher security than a single, standard certificate for a website. This certificate costs $159.96 per year for three years, and includes:

• The same validation as the Premium SSL certificate.
  • Higher warranty liability coverage.
  • Enhanced pre-validation services.

This product is a great fit for enterprise-level businesses that only need basic validation for their website.

Green Bar in Web Browser

One of the things that we found out about Trustwave was that they offer a green bar in the web browser when a customer visits your website. This is an important feature that certifies trust for your clients as soon as your website starts to load.

We also liked the fact that Trustwave includes a free site seal with their services. While we couldn't find customized site seals from Trustwave, we did like the benefits that this feature offers:

• Increased website optimization.
  • More conversions on your e-commerce.
  • Less bounces from your website.
PCI Compliance

During our review process, we found that Trustwave is the only global authorized PCI Forensic Investigator. This means that they are likely on top of PCI compliance in the industry, setting the standard for online payments.

Money Back Guarantee

We really appreciated that the 30-day money back guarantee was explained on their website, in the products and features section of the website. When we were reviewing other websites in the SSL industry, we found that we had to initiate a phone-in or read the FAQ section about a free trial period or money back guarantee. While 30 days seems to be the standard in the industry, this gives customers an ideal amount of time to try out Trustwave's SSL certificates.

The Bad

• Issuance time
  • Low liability warranty coverage

We did find a few concerns with Trustwave's SSL certificates. These include no stated issuance time, as well as the lack of high coverage for liability.

Issuance Time

We couldn't find an issuance time in the different SSL certificate descriptions. We dug around their FAQ and found out that an issuance time could happen instantly. However, we're pretty sure from what we found out in the industry that higher-validation certificates take extensively longer. We would like to see issuance requirements, as well as a stated time for each different certificate that Trustwave offers.

Low Liability Warranty Coverage

In the SSL industry, you generally get what you pay for when it comes to SSL certificate warranty liability. We found that Trustwave generally has mid-range coverage for your subscription prices. We found that the EV certificate came with the highest warranty coverage, up to $250,000 worth of liability. In the industry, we saw coverage up to $1.75 million for similar certificates at about the same price range. We would like to see liability coverage that is more in line with the standard in the industry.

The Bottom Line

We would like to see their products improved in terms of liability warranty coverage. We want to make sure that our customers have peace of mind when visitors make a purchase on their website. In addition, we would like to know more about Trustwave's daily and routine malware scans and we would like to see Trustwave offer this as part of their "total SSL package."

1.0

Jeanne Wilson

April 15th, 2020 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service is impatient, angry and bored to death--and demonstrates this with every contact. What an unpleasant group of people... Every time I have to contact support I have to laugh at the experience because I have them on speaker phone and my staff cannot believe how angry and bored these employees are behaving. They even let us hear their huge sighs so we know how ridiculous they consider us to be. These employees present as desperately unhappy people working at an organization that appears to allow such behavior toward customers.

JR

July 1st, 2019 Northampton, MA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Some very basic knowledge is lacking. Customer service is poor, responses to issues are demonstrate a lack of knowledge or are unintelligible. Looking elsewhere at this point.

Sam fahmy

March 28th, 2019 Garden Grove, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Stay away really bad Cutomer service our corporate have master agreement with them and they treat us like trash If you have the call find someone who respect his Cutomer

billy p

February 13th, 2019 Winter Haven, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We are required to use this company because we have Vantiv for our credit cards, we never pass compliance. I called and talked to the specialist and was told that the ip address provided by my internet company doesnt exist and is fake, yet each month i pay 20.00 because this trustwave company specifically fails people because it is revenue for them. I told the specialist that the so called engineer that performs the programming for them who said that our ip address was fake, is a fake himself and has no clue about computer systems. The so called engineer got on the phone and i told him to log into my computer with log me in and he can look at my ip address himself, he stated that they do not have that capability. THIS COMPANY "TRUSTWAVE" IS A SCAM

Jennifer Anderson

February 1st, 2019 Northfield, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Impossible to contact. Hold times for an hour, then forced to leave a message they never return. Poor poor quality customer service.

Monin

January 17th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We tried to renew our SSL with Trustwave who we've been with for years. This time trying to renew our Trustwave SSL was a nightmare full of rude unhelpful people at Trustwave especially a guy named Juan. We cancelled the order and went with another SSL company. Good riddens Trustwave!

Susan Kinsey

January 9th, 2019 Key West, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am hoping to launch a full investigation into Trustwave and Vantiv for a service they claim to perform but appears to be a scam. I closed my store several months ago, disconnected my computer, closed my account and continue to receive emails that my "scan is scheduled" and "scan completed". I called both companies to inquire as to what they are scanning. One tells me they scan the processing companies files for my account (so why am I paying for this) and the email I receive reads "If you monitor your network for activity, note that the scan may originate from IP addresses in these ranges." As a reminder, you must attest to the validity of your scan profiles at least once every quarter. In addition, you must attest any time you modify your scan setup. Your scanning portal will remind you and assist you with this process. Note that scans that run under an expired scan setup attestation will not be counted towards PCI Scan Status. So if I turned off my computer, have no internet, WHAT ARE THEY SCANNING?" It states in their email, "if I monitor my network activity" - there is no network, no computer...my store is closed. Trustwave would appear to be a scam to me and a way for merchant processing to make more fees off of us.

joe reynolds

March 22nd, 2018 Lufkin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had to pick a 1 star, cause you can't leave feedback. This company has the worst customer assistance I've ever had to deal with. Called their IT support line, and stayed on hold for about 15 minutes, then it hung up on me. called and repeated that process multiple times and for multiple days in a row. I just can't wait until I'm done with the contract on my cc machine, cause I'm going to do away with credit cards in my business.

Kim

March 20th, 2018 Gridley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Positively the most useless and worst SSL compliance company. When asking for help with compliance scans the only help they can offer is for you to call an IT person. I've had services from other companies that did not know their own business, but trust wave is at the top of the heap when it comes to a company not being able to help their customers.

Mendel

January 26th, 2018 Sumas, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our Credit Card processor uses Trustwave but they tell me they are changing to a better provider. Trustwave support is very limited and the support thy do provide is terrible and rude. As far as I am concerned, they are a leach organization with no rightful place on the e commerce ladder.

Carmen Basile

September 1st, 2017 Cleveland, OH

This company is a total scam. They talk about PCI compliance but have no idea. I was forced to have to used them when I ran my CC processing through US BANK. (another scammer). Trustwave would scan my network for PCI compliance issues. Every time I talked with Trustwave they would tell me about how they scanned my network and could see my firewall, my router and all the computers in my network. When I inquired about why type of firewall and router the came back with they were both cisco products. The problem is that the business they were scanning was our cafe. We only have internet for the one Credit card machine, we also have VOIP for phones. No firewall, NO router, NO computer or computers. After all its a cafe and not our other company which is an IT business. I next inquired about the IP address that they were scanning and they gave me an IP address for a public gateway of Time Warner cable. They are my cable provider for the cafe. When I explained that they weren't scanning my network I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about and that this was my company. I know the equipment I have and how it works. I have a degree in Applied Computer Sciences and have probably forgotten more stuffs about computers then these younger know it all kids will ever learn. They were not scanning my network and could not get past the time warner gateway to get to my network. They are simply another IT company that is full of Thieves. They steal your money and tell you they are providing a service for which they can not ever prove. Customer service is extremely nasty when you catch them in a lie. Because of this I moved my bank accounts from US bank to First Federal of Lakewood and switch my credit card processing to Heartland who doesn't use Trustwave.

Jim Bridges

July 26th, 2017 Landenberg, PA

We used Trustwave for managed security and ended up cancelling our service. Not only did they badger us over fees they never earned, when we finally settled they then had the nerve to introduce a new invoice and threaten us with collection! They are a big company who does not care about the customer or service. Please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

linda

May 10th, 2017

I HAD a SSL certificate with Trust Wave last year. My phone is listed on the website, My email originates from the website. I am listed on the Whois information as the domain owner. I have owned the domain for 10 years My hosting company generates the CSR for me. And then Trust Wave required that I find someone who can certify that I am the legal owner of the website. I found the whole situation bizarre and lousy customer service. Especially since I had a certificate with them last year.

Mike

November 3rd, 2015 Portland, OR

I was sent notifications by trustwave my certificate was about to expire. I went to their site and renewed. After supplying my credit card, I was given an error code and a customer support number to call. The support was unable to find the transaction and had me try two more time unsuccessfully. The next day I saw three transactions from Trustwave for $178 each on my bank statement. I called customer support back and was told I needed to call the third party provider that I used to purchase the certificate even after I told them I used their website to renew. I'm now having my bank dispute the charges and I'm going to another company for my SSL certificate.

Donnie Tenney

August 11th, 2015 Hampstead, NC

I find them to be a bad company....mthey are quick to,point out there might be a pci compliance issue, but reluctant to help resolve the issues... I would not recommend this company.