Vivint Solar

Vivint Solar verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Vivint Solar is an American solar energy company based in Lehi, Utah. The company was launched in 2011 and designs, installs, and maintains PV solar panel systems. Vivint Solar was one of the first solar companies to offer a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay only for the power they produce, limiting risk in the 20-year contract. A potential drawback with Vivint Solar is the delay of installation that customers have reported on our site.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.0 8.7 Read Review
#2 8.8 7.2 Read Review
#3 8.6 9.3 Read Review
#7 8.3 6.6 Current

The Good

• Several Payment Options
  • Flexible Moving Options
  • Wide Availability

Several Payment Options

Vivint Solar offers a wide variety of payment options, including cash purchase, loan, lease, PPA, and PACE financing. With so many payment options to choose from, customers have the ability to find a solar financing solution that best fits their needs and budget.

Flexible Moving Options

Vivint Solar has made it easier to take care of your solar panels if you decide to move. You will be given four options if you choose to move while under contract: transferring the agreement to the new owner, pre-paying the agreement, relocating your system at no additional cost, or purchasing the system outright (after six years). Many reviewers on our site have left comments expressing satisfaction with the amount of money they've been able to save by going solar through Vivint.

Wide Availability

Vivint Solar is currently available in 19 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Vermont. This wide state availability increases the company's reach and gives a greater number of people the opportunity to go solar with Vivint.

The Bad

• Annual Price Increase with PPA
  • Installation Delays
  • No Mobile App

Annual Price Increase with PPA

It should be noted that there is a pre-determined price increase with PPAs that is supposed to account for the inflation of the cost of electricity year-over-year. This insures that the company still makes the same percentage proportionately. With Vivint, the price increase is 2.9% annually.

Installation Delays

While Vivint can install a solar system within a day, some customers have had issues with getting the system up and running. In fact, customers on our site have reported that it took three to six months to get the system running. Although this issue pertains more to the city than the solar company, customers have described Vivint customer support as being unresponsive and lacking quality during this frustrating time. If responsive customer support is important to you, check out Solar Spectrumthe company that ranks very high in that category.

No Mobile App

At this time, Vivint Solar does not offer an app for Android, iOS, and Windows devices. However, Vivint Solar does provide a mobile optimized site for customers to monitor their production and usage.

The Bottom Line

If you are living in one of the 19 states where Vivint Solar operates and are interested in going solar, you should consider doing business with Vivint. The company offers multiple financing options to help customers of all budgets make the switch to solar. Plus, customers who choose a PPA will receive price protection. However, some reviews left on our site have mentioned poor customer service from the company. We encourage you to check out the user reviews below to further help you in your investigation of going solar with Vivint.

View Top Rated Companies

479 Vivint Solar Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 26th, 2017

The good: I was skeptical about solar, but the salesman answered all of my questions about the PPA. It sounded too good to be true, but it isn't for me. We switched to time of day metering, are saving about $250 per month on utility bills, and we now run the air conditioning to where we are comfortable here in hot central California. We used to be in tier 4 every month in the summer ($$$$), and now we only get into tier 2 in the hot months. My system was sized well, so my true-up is minimal. The not so good: installation took many months because they didn't have the right pads to fit our tile roof. Even after installation, it took a long time to get all the permits squared away so the system could be turned on. The customer service people were very friendly, but never got back to me, and didn't get things done. I agree with others, the website is worthless. My co-workers with other systems can tell what their units are putting out in real time. I just get to see how many trees I saved last month.

July 25th, 2017 San Francisco, CA

This is the worst company that I have ever dealt with. They fail to return calls. It took over 3 months to get them to remove the panels so we could get a new roof installed. Once installed, they refused to re-install and refused to work with my roofing contractor. I have had to hire an attorney and they don't even respond to his calls or letters.

1 0

July 24th, 2017 Tampa, FL

So far the process has been quick and efficient. The Vivint employees I've dealt with so far has been terrific knowledgeable on solar energy. Everyone has been able to answer all of my questions and concerns. It is a real pleasure dealing with Camilo B, As he is very respectful and extremely knowledgeable on solar energy. Vivint Solar is lucky to have such a dynamic individual representing them in the community.

July 21st, 2017

I could not be happier with the product or services. Everyone was professional, knowledgeable and courteous. I hope to have a long and productive relationship with Vivint Solar.

July 21st, 2017

Great Customer Service, I went with the PPA the sales rep was very nice and had knowledge of all the questions i asked him. Been saving money ever since I turned it on !

July 18th, 2017

Customer service has been horrible. Corey, Chandeler, all liars! The system has been on my roof for over a year and is not working. I do have extreme water damage coming through my family room ceiling. At first they said they would send someone out to check the damage. This took 3 months. I had to miss work to wait around all day. The person they sent out said he would recommend removing the system. The report was later changed and they tried to place the blame on a 5 year old AC system that had never shown signs of leaking. Within a few months when rain started a slow leak started. Now it is huge. They do not care and want to pass the blame. I have begged to speak to a manager or owner and they will not provide this information. This company is horrible! Do not trust!

10 0

July 14th, 2017

Beware. If something looks too good to be true it is. Vivint will install a system on your roof, and you will pay them for the energy your system produces, not the energy you use from your system. Also be aware that any oversupply is paid back to you at less than 10 cents on the dollar. I was given a "rebate" from AC Electric for my oversupply in the amount of $43 when it cost me $557 to produce. Trust me that there is some creative accounting going on with AC Electric. Also, to buy out the system after 6 years, it will cost me about double the amount it would cost to build a new one. The only upside to this is green energy... definitely not cost savings.

11 1

July 13th, 2017 Levittown, PA

Just want to advise those who are thinking about Vivint Solar...Savings is MINIMAL the rate that Vivint charges is slightly less then that of my electric company and power supplier. I realized a whole $13.00 savings for the month. I was told that I would see a 30% savings in my electric bill by the salesman, what he didn't tell me is that Vivint was going to suck up about 28% of the savings on their bill. Not worth having all the panels on my house. Also, when I wanted to discuss the rate my salesman could not be bothered, he made his sale!

11 1

July 12th, 2017

the sales person was very nice BUT he did not explain the billing sys right he told us we will pay 15 cent for KW instate 30 cent per KW the bill comes hayer then we was paying to Edison co now the co in oregon tell us that we bill you according our production not what you are using so in short in summer I use to pay average 80$ a mont Know we pay $ 110.00 a month where is the saving ?I will contact once more before I will try legal action.

7 5

July 12th, 2017 Methuen, MA

Vivint does not live up to it's "customer service is in our dna" for existing customers. They focus on Sales and New installs. Once you have your panels installed, it takes weeks / months to get problems resolved. In the seven months since my system was activated, we have experienced two inverter problems. Both times took > month to resolve; during which time my panels produced no energy. However, Vivint continued to bill me. This summer my electric bill is double the cost it was when I used only National Grid. This company does not care about existing customers.

15 1

July 11th, 2017 Baltimore, MD

I was installed in reisterstown Maryland in December of 2016. I'm very happy with my system and the savings. My rep Was very kind and honest through the whole process. Only complaint is the process takes real long, but that out of there control. A+

2 1

July 6th, 2017 San Diego, CA

Well, at the beginning, the sales were very nice and they helped you to setup everything very fast with telling no extra fee, no installation fee... Everything looks great and dreaming big saving of usage. However, problems coming soon. First, it won't save you a lot money if your electric usage is around $100 per month. It would save you about $20-30 per month. But, as no any other payments, I accept it. Secondly, if you have any questions to contact the service. Trust me, it's a disaster to get the phone line through. Sometimes I doubted the company is bankrupt. And the Third one is you need wait for ONE month to remove the panel they installed. Even though, the roof is broken, it's leaking, or any other emergency reasons, you can not remove the panel. The phone operator said, there's no emergency policy. You sign the contract, and you must wait for 30 days to get your panels down, even the roof is on fire. I am soooo mad with the conversation and I will contact my attorney to remove the panels and get rid of the jerk company.

15 2

July 6th, 2017 South Plainfield, NJ

I havw been trying since early April of 2017 to have Vivint come out and remove 5 panels so that a leak in our roof can be reparired. On May 6th I paid Vivint their required price of $965.00 to have them come out and remove and replace the panels and to date they have not contacted us to schedule the removal. I have called and e-mailed numerous times and each time I have requested to speak with a manager/supervisor and am told each time my message will be passed on and someone will call me back. To date NOTHING!!! At this point I am contacting my attorney.

16 0

July 5th, 2017 Spring Valley, CA

Superior Company and product, everything has gone smooth except for a panel issue that they corrected, went with the PPA and it is a helluva deal! My neighbors had recommended Vivint and we are glad they did, saving on our bill every month!

3 2

July 2nd, 2017

In January while I was away from my home I received a call from neighbors saying they saw a Vivint solar truck hit my car which was parked in front of my apartment. Multiple neighbors saw the truck hit my diver's side mirror off my car. One of the neighbors tried to run after the truck but the occupants blasted through a stop sign and sped off. My direct neighbor sent me his security camera footage, its a fixed camera point up the street clearly showing the truck passing then seconds later via audio you can clearly hear the contact made by their truck to my car. I filed a police report and notified Vivant Solar of the incident. The initial local representative at Vivint Solar that I spoke was clearly not concerned with my vehicle, he was solely focussed on the repercussions of having to fire the occupants of the truck which he was able to confirm who they were via the GPS tracking they have on all their vehicles and confirm that their specific truck was on my street at the time of the incident. I provided every bit of info that he asked for, he tells me to report it to corporate which I did. Horrible experience, I spent hours each day throughout an entire week calling them dozens of times. After being passed around to numerous people who were supposed to contact me , a month passed and I was told they cover the damages through their ithey'd cover the damages and that I'd just have to go through their insurance called Zurich. Of course that did not go as expected. They asked for more info pertaining to the evidence of the accident which was very clear cut given the footage, multiple eye witnesses, gps tracking of their own vehicle, and photos of the damage. I provided them everything they asked for including the camera footage. They then come back saying they can't determine the truck hit my car... As irate as I was, after the time I had already wasted I ended up paying out of pocket to fix the car. It wasn't worth my time/stress in continuing to pursue. Between the repairs and the rental car I needed in order to get to and from work it tallied up very quickly. Vivant never made efforts to resolve so I felt it was important to share this experience. To be clear, Vivant was never helpful at all, dodging my calls for months while the representatives I dealt with showed no concern or compassion regarding their licensed drivers pulling a hit and run, nor did they make any efforts to ensure this would be resolved. Clearly my neighbors were upset that this happened feeling it could have happened to any of their vehicles. I hope this makes potential customers aware of the lack of integrity this company has.

14 2

July 1st, 2017

Horrible company. Install completed in November and system still not working 8 months later. Customer service ignores most of our emails and calls.

11 2

June 30th, 2017

STAY AWAY. They have horrible customer service reps that don't do what you ask and they take an extreme amount of time to get anything you need done. I wouldn't recommend them to my worse enemy!!!!!

6 1

June 26th, 2017 Chelsea, MA

In late August of last year we discovered water stains on a ceiling caused by a roof leak. The leak was caused by a hole chewed by a squirrel that had built a nest under a panel. We had a pest control company remove it and notified Vivint. They showed up a week later, removed two panels and put in a temporary patch. Good thing we were in a drought. It took three months and many calls to get the roof repaired by them. Each person I spoke to told me a different story. I was told they would install an animal guard. Well, it still hasn’t been installed. 10 months! I even paid for it three months ago. I’ve been a homeowner for 45 years and this is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Every one tells me that someone will call me and nobody ever does. I have to call them to get the service dates. I’ve had four occasions where their crews showed up with the wrong information. Nothing gets done. While waiting for them to get their act together, I had to remove a bird nest. I’ve been scanning the roof for 10 months looking for squirrels. I don’t believe anything they tell me. They are driven by their bureaucratic processes and not the needs of the customer.

9 1

June 24th, 2017

Simple process and great company. Definitely would recommend Vivint Solar

2 2

June 24th, 2017 Yuba City, CA

They don't tell you the money you save each month. Keep saying its throughout the year. During the summer my bill has been $280 when the winter its been $70. The sales men told me the more I generate the more I'll save. Needs to explain that more. And for the bill you get. If you pay for it in advance they still ding you on the date it was due. Won't give you the money back. Still cheaper then paying PGE that's why the 5

5 3