Sunrun verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

8.0

Call Now

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out. After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points. The company, which is based in San Francisco, California, has installed over 950 megawatts of solar power and helped consumers in 21 states to lower their electricity bills.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • 20-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

In order to fit the needs of almost any customer, Sunrun offers several financing options, including solar leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans. Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost. The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments. Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

20-Year Maintenance

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased, a 20-year warranty on systems that are leased, and 24/7 system monitoring (provided by Sunrun).

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout. Additionally, Brightbox helps customers save money by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes a detailed FAQ section, a helpful guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand how to move forward with Sunrun and start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 950 megawatts of solar energy. As a result, Sunrun has offset 1.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 160,000 customers to reduce their electricity bills and take advantage of net metering.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following 21 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of blog posts and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Click here.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach. While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Click here. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

3.3

jennifer ward

February 22nd, 2018 Discovery Bay, CA DETAILS

I have decided to post my recent letter in hopes that maybe someone int he proper department will see and escalate, and handle my current situation. In brief , we had a small roof leak, been working on getting sunrun to handled repair for months now. Left my home Feb 1 , 2018 and have not been back. Left the roof with out solar working and missing about 20 roof tiles. Guess they want further water damage to my home. WELL I DO NOT!!!!! Hello Brittney, Thank you for returning my call today. As discussed, I looked forward to hearing back asap on the repairs to my roof. As you have informed me throughout this process that SUNRUN is covering the repairs due to the improper installation of the solar on my roof, as well as the miss handling of this entire service call. I appreciate your effort and the communication that you and your branch manager have escalated my situation on more than one occasion. I would like to review for Zachary that it has been determined weeks ago by your office that this repair would be fully covered due to the installation issues and poor customer service. I need to remind all that our roof was exposed and remains exposed since Feb 1, 2018, as I was advised that SUNRUN would be covering and performing all the repairs, for reasons stated previously. I have repeatedly attempted to reach SUNRUN through the channels provided to me via Brittney and the customer service line as I am directed too. I had spoken with a women named Carol, who answered the customer service line a week ago, who put me on hold while she stated she was calling the service manager for my area and went further to state she had sent an email as well. As I have heard nothing and have a completely exposed roof at this time, I called again and reached Zackery. SUNRUN came and removed the panels, removed the roofing tiles, determined that the cause was improper installation and told me they would cover the repairs, yet no one is taking any action to get it scheduled and no one has returned to even put temporary protection, so as to not cause further damage to my home. SUNRUN has left our home exposed to further damage. What was a small issue has become enormous. There is a large area of my roof with no tiles! There is a 50% chance of rain here tomorrow. We will be holding SUNRUN accountable for further damage and distress to our home. Arco energy was whom represented SUNRUN during the time my contract with SUNRUN was initiated. It states in my SUNRUN packet under frequently asked questions “ If my roof is damaged during the solar panel installation or has a leak years later due to the installation, what happens?” The response printed is “ SUNRUN will cover any damage that occurs to your roof both at the time of installation of the solar panels and for the LIFE of the SUNRUN customer agreement (20 years). I will attach photos of your own pamphlet. I was told that it was for the life of the contract at the time I entered the agreement as well as any maintenance needed to the SUNRUN system. Which is why I entered the lease agreement instead of purchasing the system and taking the tax credit. I am extremely dissatisfied with customer service and the risk of water damage SUNRUN has now put upon my home. Also, I am also not producing power, which means this is costing me money on my electric bill, I expect that this will be addressed as well. SUNRUN is the nations leading solar company and this is how you treat your earliest customers. I feel mislead by what I was sold. I would like to go on to apologize to you Brittney, I am aware you can only do so much from your position. You have always handled yourself professionally and have made me feel you are concerned about my home and me as a customer. I thank you. It is a shame that the department that needs to take the ball and move forward with my repair is not capable. Not to mention that is is the same department that started this whole backwards handling of my service request in the first place. I also want to know why SUNRUN has no documentation from ARCO ENERGY? Why SUNRUN does not even know what was in the pamphlets and what was told to heir customers? Edward F. and Lynn J. stated in the pamphlet I have, that “as we grow together towards our vision, we are here to answer your questions and would appreciate hearing your feedback” Please forward them my letter as my feedback and my current situation with their company. Feel free to forward this to whomever can actually get the job done before further damage occurs to my home. Regards, Jennifer Ward

steve

February 17th, 2018 Hilo, HI DETAILS

I am happy to report that sun run is taking care of my concern .

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Jan. 27, 2018

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We hate to hear you experienced such poor customer service and we would like to use this as a training opportunity. Please feel free to private message me your detailed information. We can look into this further for you.

Laura M

February 16th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Don't go with SunRun!! I was promised two credits, $500.00 for a referral and $500.00 for being a Costco member and they have not honored any of them. I have been on the phone each day and they say that they cannot honor the Costco credit even though I have it in an e-mail from one of their employees that they hired to sell the solar panels. I should have gone with Solar City and so should YOU!!! Poor customer service, took forever for my solar system to be turned on when my referral only took one month, mine took three months.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback Laura M. Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! We strive to always provide outstanding service. In keeping with this, operating with the highest level of integrity happens without question! That's why we immediately shared your experience with our sales leadership team.

W. Barrett

February 15th, 2018 Oakhurst, CA DETAILS

So sad this has been a nightmare with Sunrun from the start with Sunrun, As it stands now I will not recommend this company. From the start the contracted my system out to be installed to Infinity I got nothing but untruths from the start. I couldn't never put in all that has happen to me. When the processed started my electric just keep going up but now mysteriously after the system was turned my electric bill went back to what it was. I was told my panels would be facing south they are not. I told the guys that was putting the panels I asked what way was the panels was going to fast they said west I said no don't put them in they put the in & said if they don't produce as promised they would pay to have them moved. The panels face trees so they knew from the start that the trees would be an issue I wish I would have called the police & had them removed from the property. I was told today they will not move them & the will pay to remove trees that will not help next I guess they will remove the home because that is blocking it also. So I'm paying Sunrun & the electric company. In the very beginning I wouldn't have a electric bill not so you to be hooked to the lines. I was not told that I would be paying electric co 40 to 50 dollars a month to electric co on top of the $40.00 plus to the electric co IF I ever had to pay the electric co it be very very little. I called my electric co & they told me my electric this month without solar would $73 or$78 I remember which one so what did pay $109 Sunrun & 40 or 50 to the electric co. So there is zero reason to have solar panels. Sunrun will not change the panels as I was told they would is they didn't produce as promised NO they will not. Please Stay clear of Sunrun. The sales person I told him I DONT want to sign NO contract till I read it & my brother read then we could explain to my Dad. He had me sign contract online which I didn't know you could sign a contract online. When this contract was signed I was very ill & lost my Mother a few month early I told him all of that & I told him I don't understand this stuff so my brother has to read the contract & make sure it was the same as his & he thought it was ok to sign. I would get lawyer but I cannot afford one but Sunrun needs to be shut down so they cannot do this to anyone else. To take advantage of sick people & someone that does not understand contracts & letting the company they hired & will not stand by what that company tells you is wrong I got one story from the sales person one store from Infinity & one from Sunrun so I'm caught in the middle worse off than before I got in this nightmare & they knew we live on a fixed income my Dad is 80 years old & in bad health as I am to. I told Sunrun I don't know how they could hold anyone to a contract when everything was based on lies. STAY CLEAR OF SUNRUN! PLEASE I'm sorry if this does not make a lot of sense but this is so upsetting to me & my Dad I thought the other day talking to them I was going to have stroke I was physical ill for days after. Every time I think about this I get so upset I cry so I cannot think straight

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 21, 2018

Hello W. Barrett. Thank you for providing feedback. This is frustrating, and not the standard Sunrun customer experience. We would like you to be happy with your solar. We can make sure solar is helping you by creating a customized savings analysis for you. We can also check your production and make sure you are producing up to contract standards. Please private message me your contact information.

Keith Wright

February 14th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

When I first had my system installed in October, they told me how to start it up and it seemed to work. 2 weeks later, I went to check it and it was offline. It took a week to get a service call to get it working. I just got my power bill from NV Energy and it was extremely high considering that I was supposed to be running solar. Apparently my system went offline again 3+ weeks ago and I was never notified. Now I get to wait another 5-7 business days for another service call. But at least they pull the money out of my account every month like clockwork. Use ANYONE but Sunrun.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 16, 2018

Hello Keith, thank you for your communication. We understand the frustration service issues can cause. We have reviewed your system’s production, and it looks like your system was producing up to contract until 01/23/2018. The system stopped communicating the kilowatts it produces daily, this doesn’t mean your panels are not producing energy. If the inverter has a green light your system is still creating power, if the system is down you are protected by the performance guarantee. As a Sunrun customer, you are protected by our performance guarantee. This guarantees that you will never pay for electricity that you do not receive. On every anniversary of the In-Service Date, Sunrun will calculate the "Actual Output" of the system. If the actual output is less than the guaranteed production for that anniversary date listed in Exhibit A, then Sunrun will issue a refund. This refund is calculated by subtracting the actual output from the guaranteed production and then multiplying by the refund rate listed for that year in Exhibit A. I have created a Field Service ticket, and you’ll be contacted to schedule a date for us to come out and look at the meter. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Customer Care or private message me.

Johnny

February 14th, 2018 Dalton, MA DETAILS

Solar is a scam. Signed contract in July wasn't installed and running until November. Tried to contact sales rep several times in the fall for progress updates with no response. sales rep was super friendly made me believe I would be making a huge savings! I thought I was too since my bills until January had been half what they were from last year.. than in January my bill was 5 times the usual amount so I thought there had to be some kind of error. Contacted both my conventional and solar electric companies and got no help From either. Was just told they weren't working as efficient because of the weather/time of year. So today I get a call from sunrun saying I owed them for the last three months (the amount of time I've had the panels for)to which I was in complete shock because my sales representative never informed me I had two separate bills to pay he told me that sunrun charged my electric company.. so my electric bill is now almost triple from what I paid in January last year (the rates didn't go up) and am now paying the same if not more for electric! I have yet to see any savings with going solar. Would not recommend to anyone. Looking to go back to conventional electric

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 16, 2018

Hello Johnny, thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback. We are so sorry to hear that the interaction with your sales representative was less than a satisfactory experience. This an area of opportunity and we want to take the initiative to make things right! Now that your system is active you can contact Customer Care (855-478-6786) with any concerns. In regards to your savings we have to go over a couple of factors. How big is the system, how much is Sunrun setup to offset from your utility bill, and you also have to keep in mind that solar is seasonal and the weather affects production. During the summer months your system will produce the most energy. If your system is producing and you are using above and beyond what the system can produce, that additional energy gets billed by the utility company. Once you’ve had the system for 1 year we can offer to do a Savings Analysis and see what your total savings are. Feel free to contact Customer Care or private message me your information.

Ray Lucero

February 12th, 2018 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

Long story short. Installed Solar in November and it has not worked. After passing all inspections PNM came out and turned the system on. It failed immediately. Installer came out reset the system and it ran for a day and failed again. Called installer again and they said they would be back in 3 days. Never heard back. Called again and another solar tech came out. Told me the inverter was bad. Here we are in Feb and the system still does not work. I am now paying for both PNM and Solar for something that does not work. Suggestion do not go solar. All promises including the 250 buck promotion is just a lie. I think its worth it just to stay on the grid. Solar is not worth the headache. I think i need a lawyer because i will probably end up paying a lot more in the end. All of us with these problems should consider a class action law suit.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback Ray L. We are so sorry here about the ongoing service issues, and understand it can be frustrating. Sunrun takes care of servicing and maintaining the system, I see we had you scheduled today. The inverter was having issues, our tech is contacting Ginlong. Once we have an update you should be contacted. Please keep in mind you are protected by your performance guarantee.

Rafael Rodriguez

February 12th, 2018 Litchfield Park, AZ DETAILS

I have submitted a support request, for the addition of a wifi tracker to my inverter and they never responded, also the system wasn't working for a week and they don't know why or how it happened and they have an answer for that.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! We would be happy to further investigate this matter. Please private message me your contact information and we can work towards a resolution.

Anne Blakeley

February 12th, 2018 Yucca Valley, CA

My father died in November. The agreement was in his name. However, the home is not. I have been the homeowner since 2007 and the agreement was signed in 2012. I knew my father signed the agreement, but had not seen it until after he died. The agreement is not acceptable to me. Because the agreement my father signed is invalid I've been asking Sunrun to remove the solar panels and repair the roof damage from the panels. It's been 3 months and Sunrun has yet to comply and they continue to send my father a bill. Obviously these bills will not be paid.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 12, 2018

Thanks for contacting us Anne B. I can certainly understand the situation can be frustrating. We want to work with you towards a resolution. I see you have been in contact with one of our Managers. We did an extensive investigation regarding your case. Please private message me your contact information and we can review the information in detail.

Candace Thompson

February 11th, 2018 Santee, CA DETAILS

Don’t make referrals! I made a referral when Sunrun was taking over Sungevity. Subsequent to my referral, a contract was signed and my referral gave Sunrun a new customer for a rather large solar system. Neither Sunrun nor Sungevity ever made good on payment of the referral fee do me. I tried on numerous occasions to collect my referral fee, but was unsuccessful. My calls were ignored, as were some of my emails. Sunrun pointed fingers to Sungevity as the responsible party, and Sungevity pointed to Sunrun. The only information I ever received (several months later) was that I could go to court and file as a creditor to maybe get my referral fee. I did not...at this point it was not worth more of my time and effort to get what was owed me. And yes .... I’m believe this is what Sunrun expected. Create hassle for the victim to collect and chances are they won’t waste time to do so. The only remedy I now have is to tell others about my experience and to suggest they go elsewhere for their solar. To offer my opinion about how they failed to provide the referral fee, and how they failed to take care of their customers. Because of my experience Sunrun/Sungevity are companies that are not to be trusted, make hallow promises, and failed to take care of their customer. Sunrun must make so much money now that the concerns for their customers are not a number one priority. With all the companies now offering solar, you may be want to look at others before going forward with Sunrun; a company more customer oriented.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 16, 2018

Hello Candace T. Thank you for your communication, we are so sorry to hear that your experience has been unpleasant. We can certainly understand your frustration and want to take the opportunity to change things around for you. Sungevity was originally a Sunrun partner, but Sungevity filed for bankruptcy. We ingested all Sungevity agreements and customers. We are so sorry that we were not able to offer the refer a friend credit Sungevity originally offered you. What we can do is honor the refer a friend credit of $350 that Sunrun offers. We would be more than happy to get this applied immediately. We would need the following information to do so. Your detailed contact information, as well as the contact information for the person you have referred. The referee needs to be installed and have the panels active and producing. Please private message me this information and I can have a Specialist reach out to you, Thank you!

Michael Peck

February 11th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Our system was installed in November of 2017. We were so excited. The experience with Sunrun up until this point had been OK. The technicians that installed the system did a good job and were very professional. However, it would be well over 2 months before our system would ever be turned on mostly due to problems passing city inspections. Finally, in February (this month) we were able to power on the system. According to data from our NV Energy app, we were generating more power than we were using. Yay!!! Then a couple of weeks ago we received a call from a Sunrun technician asking us to shut down the system and re-boot it because it wasn't transmitting data to Sunrun. OK, so we did that. We were told that if that didn't work that a technician would be in touch to schedule someone to come out and test it. They came out this past week, without us knowing, and turned everything off. We call customer service and were told that the inverter needed to be replaced and that an order had been placed for the new one. No date given when it would be available to be installed and no date when we will be up and running again. My question.... why wasn't the system tested after it was installed? The only time I saw them turn on the system was just as the sun was going down, so not sure how that was effective? So, long story short, from about Mid November 2017 up until February 10, 2018 total time the system has been available for use? about 8 days. During that time I have had to start paying on the financing bills and still paying full rates and usage bills to NVEnergy. By this time I should have been building credits during at least some of December and all of January and now into February. Sunburn did offer us a $100 dollar credit on the system sometime back in January. Really? $100 dollars doesn't even come close to the increase in expenses of paying for an inoperative solar system that was sold to me with the expectation that it would cover %95 of our power usage, and also paying full rates to the power company. So much for solar power and so much for Sunrun.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 12, 2018

Thank you for your communication Michael, we are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. We proactively monitor your system and reach out to you if there are issues with the system. We do apologize if there was not much communication. I can certainly understand service issues are frustration, the good thing is we took initiative to resolve the issues. As a Sunrun customer, you are protected by our performance guarantee. This guarantees that you will never pay for electricity that you do not receive. On every anniversary of the In-Service Date (PTO), Sunrun will calculate the "Actual Output" of the system. If the actual output is less than the guaranteed output for that anniversary date listed in Exhibit A then Sunrun will issue a refund. This refund is calculated by subtracting the actual output from the guaranteed output and then multiplying by the refund rate listed for that year in Exhibit A. For example, if in year 6 the system was expected to generate 42,000 kWh cumulatively and actual generation was 41,500 kWh, we will credit your account based on the 500 kWh the system fell short multiplied by your refund rate, i.e. 500 kWh x $0.13 = $65. If you have any questions please feel free to private message me your contact information.

Donald Barclay

February 10th, 2018 Merced, CA DETAILS

The system works well and the is price fair. I’m leasing, so I didn’t get the big tax break, but on the other hand I don’t have my own (or borrowed) money tied up in the system. It’s all about how the math works as to whether or not buying is a better deal than leasing. One of the gotchas of solar is that once a year the power company hits you with a true up bill. Historically, my annual hit has been $1,000. This year it was $2,500. Why? Because last summer, unbeknownst to me, my system sopped producing electricity. Sunrun is supposed to monitor that. They didn’t. I only found out because a tree guy I had hired told me that he noticed a red light on my system. I contacted Sunrun, and by the time it was all over it still took several months to get the problem fixed. When I got the mega-bill for the annual true up, Sunrun offered me $50. I figure they owe me $1,500. I’m sending them a demand letter. If they don’t respond appropriately, I’m getting a lawyer and going after them.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 12, 2018

Thank you for your communication Donald B. We are so sorry to hear about your service issue, we are also glad to hear it has been resolved. Sunrun offers to lease or purchase the system, we offer these options to fit the needs of any consumer deciding to go solar. In your case you are leasing, and Sunrun covers the services and maintained of the system. As a Sunrun customer, you are protected by our performance guarantee. This guarantees that you will never pay for electricity that you do not receive. On every anniversary of the In-Service Date 12/17/2013, Sunrun will calculate the "Actual Output" of the system. If the actual output is less than the guaranteed output for that anniversary date listed in Exhibit A then Sunrun will issue a refund. This refund is calculated by subtracting the actual output from the guaranteed output and then multiplying by the refund rate listed for that year in Exhibit A. For example, if in year 6 the system was expected to generate 42,000 kWh cumulatively and actual generation was 41,500 kWh, we will credit your account based on the 500 kWh the system fell short multiplied by your refund rate, i.e. 500 kWh x $0.13 = $65. Looking at your account you have received a Performance Guarantee credit of $990.47 on 01/01/2018.ou can view this credit online on mySunrun.com, and please feel free to private message me with any question you may have.

Ronald Holton

February 8th, 2018 Lakewood, CA DETAILS

They will do and tell you anything to get you to purchase the product. My panels are not producing what is expected sunrun does not monitor your system if you purchase yourself. You do not get a 30% rebate it’s a credit there is a big difference. Would not recommend to anyone.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 8, 2018

Hello Ronald H. thanks for your feedback. We aim to provide the best customer experience. While we're happy you received our top-notch support in the beginning, based on your recent feedback, it sounds like we dropped the ball somewhere. We'd like to take this chance to turn things around! Please private message us your contact information, we will have a Specialist reach out to you!

Cheryl

February 7th, 2018 Garden Grove, CA DETAILS

I have been a customer for over five years. My panels have never delivered what was promised, and now I am being charged an enormous fee because of it. I am protesting because I do not think it is fair as I still pay a huge fee to the electric company. I would recommend buying your own solar panels if you want to go solar, and not leasing from a company such as this one.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 7, 2018

Thank you for your communication Cheryl. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our aim is to provide a customer product that meets your expectations! It is important for our customers to feel they are benefiting from going solar. Please reach out to our Customer Care so we can further investigate the issue. Our number is 855-478-6786.

KAREEM HAMMAD

February 5th, 2018 DETAILS

I had 10 companies survayed my house and all agreed that I can generate at least 12000khw. The representative didnt really put any effort to ask questions or send someone to check the site.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 6, 2018

Thanks for your communication, Kareem H. This is not the typical customer experience and we provided this feedback to the sales leadership. If you would like to provide additional feedback, or would like us to review your case please private message me your information and a Specialist will reach out to you.

RN

February 5th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Salesperson was trying too hard to get my business by calling me everyday. I don't need that when I'm evaluating different companies. Also the product wasn't the best.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 6, 2018

Hello RN. Thank you for your communication. We strive to always provide outstanding service. We do apologize your experience was anything other than that. In keeping with this and the highest level of integrity we immediately shared your experience to our sales leadership team as feedback. If you have any questions please private message me your contact information.

Jack

February 5th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

Rep was not aware of tier 2 limits put in by Duke

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 6, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, Jack. Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! We would be happy to further investigate this matter. Please private message us your information and a Specialist will reach out to you and go over any questions you may have.

H David Whalen

February 5th, 2018 El Cajon, CA DETAILS

My system was installed in a timely fashion and running the first of December. The inverter failed, the first time in early January. I phoned and gave them the three error codes and verbiage. Their service agents had no idea what the codes meant and I was told they couldn't schedule repair until Jan 30th. There was only one circuit effected; the kitchen appliances; lost everything in the refrigerator and freezer. After power was out for nine hours, I managed to get the system back on myself. Two weeks later, the same problem, and again lost the frig contents. I put all my ninety-three-year-old mother's medication on ice to save. Was told that system had defaulted to the grid and it was San Diego Gas and Electric's problem and to call them. They came out immediately and confirmed the problem was with Sunrun's system. I called again and had to threaten with a medical emergency. A service agent came out the next day and opened the unit up. There was a fried wire which was identified immediately. The service tech stated that he couldn't replace the afflicted wire and the inverter had to be replaced. To his credit, he hard-wired the bad circuit to a breaker and everything came back on. It's two weeks later and still waiting for the system to be fixed. I phone every day and talk to different service reps and finally told a repair request had been sent to service a week ago and they will call me to schedule an appointment. Still phoning daily, still waiting for return calls they promise. I have now been on the grid for two weeks getting charged the maximum kWh rates allowable from SDG&E. After eleven years in the corporate world and over thirty years of being self-employed in my own national business, coupled with global equipment license agreements, and working with thousands of companies, Sunrun tops the list of worst companies in terms of customer service. I called my referrals and told them to go anywhere but Sunrun.

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 6, 2018

Thank you for your feedback . We are sorry to hear about your difficult experience. We can certainly sympathize with your situation. Services issues can be very aggravating, especially if you feel like you are not being communicated with properly or in an timely manner. I see we are currently working towards a resolution on this matter, please private message me your detailed concerns and I will be happy to address any questions you may have.

francis niegocki

January 31st, 2018 Tomkins Cove, NY DETAILS

My installation went fairly well except the system does not work! I have spent two weeks calling everyone from Sunrun with little to no response. First I was told this was a delay for the system to register. Maybe the computers were running a little slow? Then the Project Coordinator advised me that she could no longer be of assistance and I should call Customer Service. Tried that 3 times and sat on hold for up to 20 minutes and finally hung up. The email assistance states there is a 3-5 day response time. That is the most unprofessional attitude I have encountered in many years. The only person who seems to respond or care is the salesman. He has been easy to contact but does not seem to have any more access to answers than I do. The dashboard shows no production but does have the payment date for my automatic withdrawl. If I were to do this over Sunrun would be my last choice. The overall professionalism I have encountered with this company is pathetic. And it is laughable how they constantly remind one to refer a friend. I would think twice about referring an enemy!

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 2, 2018

Thank you for your communication, Francis N. We strive to deliver an individualized customer experience that exceeds your expectations! That's exactly why, we invest in the best talent, and actually employ our project management staff directly. Additionally, quality and reliability are major values we uphold, so exceeding your expectations is possible. To understand you believe otherwise is disheartening! We want to take this opportunity to get things straightened out for you. Please send me private message me your contact information, this way I can have a specialist reach out to you.

T. Cardosa

January 30th, 2018 Chowchilla, CA DETAILS

The sales rep was very knowledgeable and professional during the appointment

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Feb. 1, 2018

That's what we love to hear, T. Cardosa! Providing the best customer experience is key when our mission is to create a planet run by the sun. Thanks for sharing your story! We are thrilled to welcome you to the Sunrun Family!

Lupe Borden

January 26th, 2018 Victorville, CA DETAILS

I have had solar panels for 3 years now havent changed my usage but i pay way more now than i did before i fot panels. I called to ask why i wasnt generating enough power was told they woul send a tech to check it but onw never came out so for the 3rd year in a row i owe 3000 to sce for my yearly services. Dont do it!!!

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Jan. 26, 2018

Hello Lupe B., thank you for providing feedback and giving us a chance to fix this. This is frustrating, and not the standard Sunrun customer experience. While your performance guarantee helped in this situation, we would like you to be happy with your solar. We can make sure solar is helping you by creating a customized savings analysis for you. Please feel free to private message me your detailed information.

ART SAUER

January 26th, 2018 Danbury, CT DETAILS

LIERS POOR PERFORMANCE WISH I NEVER GOT INVOLVED WITH THEM. WILL NEVER RECCOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Jan. 26, 2018

Hello Art S, thank you for providing feedback and giving us a chance to fix this. This is frustrating, and not the standard Sunrun customer experience. We would like you to be happy with your solar. We can have a Specialist reach out to you and look into this further. Please private message us your detailed information so with the necessary details. If you're willing to give us another chance, we can figure this out together!

Jerry

January 24th, 2018 Bishop, CA DETAILS

Supposed to save us money and promised the system would actually produce more than promised. wrong on both accounts. now told they try to never produce what was promised. run from Sun Run

Kimberly Ramirez-Martinez Jan. 25, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, Jerry . Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! We would be happy to further investigate this matter. Please private message me your information and more details. Once we receive the information we can look into this.

Stuart Schnitzer

December 24th, 2017 Edison, NJ DETAILS

We lease the equipment from Sunrun. We were assured we would save a lot of many using solar. Instead, we are paying Sunrun about 4 cents more a KWH than we are paying PSE&G. We were told it takes time to see savings. We have the system more than 5 years. Sunrun raises the price every year while PSE&G has remained fairly steady, and even dropped. We were told that we would be contacted in April 2016 and possibly get a rate adjustment. It is now December, 2017 and we are still waiting to be contacted. If you are looking to save money stay away from Sunrun. It will cost you in the end. When our lease is done we will NOT renew

Donna Brock

December 8th, 2017 DETAILS

We have owned our system for five years. Our true-up this year was $3000. Last year it was $2000. Our yearly usage has been about the same. Because we own our system, we are now told that we are on our own to figure out issues. They told us we should have our panels cleaned but this may or may not help out in our situation. They told us PG&E was to blame as there were power strikes on our system. I told PG&E this and they immediately came to our home with a tool too look at the electrical input to our home and others in our neighborhood. I walked with the technician as he did his research. All was good. I asked Sunrun for their report and they did not have one. We are now playing monkey in the middle and this is very very frustrating. All of our appliances, heating and a/c, water heater are 3-8 years old. Cannot figure out why our bills are so high and no one can help. Would highly recommend NOT using Sunrun because they leave you once they have the sell!

Bruce Hubbard

December 8th, 2017 Spring Valley, CA DETAILS

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SUNRUN!!! After many calls Sunrun called for a customer review on work done. I spoke with them and explained the whole problems and I have not heard from them. I'm reposting the whole thing. Sunrun Inc. / Sunrun Solar is not the business you want to do business with. 1.) The contractor that gets you signed up deliveries a twisted presentation from the start of the project. They tell you how many solar panels that will a on you home but when it's installed it doesn't turn out that way. 2) They also replaced our roof and did not do it correctly. They had a lot of people on our roof when the panels were installed and they damaged the roof and when it rained it damaged the interior of our house in 2 places. 3.) They also replaced our electrical panel and in the interior of the house they caused wall board damage at tape lines and nails were coming out. 3) Water damage on our interior natural wood is really bad and Sunrun refuses to correct that problems that they did. I have been dealing with this whole problem for six (6) months. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SUNRUN INC. / SUNRUN SOLAR. THEY ARE LIARS.

al

December 7th, 2017 Cape May Court House, NJ DETAILS

I orig told our salesman to give me a little time I was considering Sunrun and 2 other co's. He badgered me every other day I would be coming home see his car and want to turn around until he left the neighborhood.. I sent him to 3 of my neighbors who signed up and I rec'd nothing even though he said if I referred customers that I would receive a credit . I told him over the phone and in person to plz stop calling and coming by that I would let him know when I was ready. I did end up signing up because my wife and I felt it would be a benefit to us. We gave hime all our pmyt. info and he never did anything with taking out our payments which caused a huge problem!! Still to this day it's causing a problem when all he had to do was follow through and do his job. I tried to contact him several times about install dates etc he was a nightmare to say the least. I've since dealt with two people who collect for the company they are rude. I fully plan on straightening it out and to pay my bills but I would not recommend this company because of the way it began and is now. I take some responsibility for this but had it began right and the salesman did his job properly I would not be in this mess.

Ritchie

December 7th, 2017 Orlando, FL' DETAILS

They are not able to put solar panels on clay barrel tile roofs at this time. I went through the whole process of getting qualified, only to find out in the end that they are not set up to do business in in Florida with roofs that have barrel tiles. The 3 star for trustworthiness is because the should of known about the tile roof.

Michael Ben-Yehuda

December 4th, 2017 Huntington Beach, CA

I am compelled to write this, and am shocked to see SunRun near the top of the list. They have a contract with COSTCO to provide solar services. I had them come out, to do a quote. I was interested in Purchase, not Lease, as with fed/state rebates at the time, it made sense to just buy it. My power needs are modest, my electric bill average barely qualifies, but was going to add an electric car, which would bring usage up high enough that solar made sense. The rep got out his google map picture of my roof and metric from my electric bills. The system they came back with was going to be more KW than I needed.. but he explained that they need to put in that minimum level of system so that it makes sense financially. OK.. so the panel layout.. My roof is oriented so I have South and North facing slopes and some small area of west facing sloped roof. He couldn't fit all the panels on the South and West, so he had them on the NORTH facing side.. WHAT? No adjustment in his calc for power efficiency either! I questioned his layout. He said that it was cleared with his team but could not explain how they calculated the actual power. He agreed it wasn't right. He came back again, tried moving the layout around to use a lower roof area that also faced South, but still could not fit the system without using the North face. He also said they could not mount the panels to get them horizontal or reverse tilt.. they could only mount them following the roof slope. Again, their estimated power output didn't sync with those panels sloping on a North face. Then I dug into their contract and maintenance agreements. Part of the selling point for SunRun is guaranteed maintenance and (on a lease system) performance. I was doing a Purchase system though.. so here's the deal. With COSTCO, they wanted my to sign a contract for a fixed system price, but it did not have a detailed bill of materials. It didn't state the exact specs for the panels, power inverter or any other detail you'd expect in a sales contract. The contract obligated me to buy the system, but without a BOM. They explained that's how it works.. they submit the signed contract to COSTCO then come out to the field and figure out the system. Excuse me.. but I'm on the hook, for major bucks and I expect they should engineer it 1st, then do the sales contract. I guess they don't want to operate like normal businesses do. Second, their maintenance guarantee has NO SERVICE LEVEL AGREEMENT. They make NO commitment whatsoever as to how long it will take to respond, repair or restore your system if it should have a problem. They could not or refused to provide any statistical information about field service response time and mean time to repair. If you LEASE a system, they agree to provide a certain amount of generated power, so if it's down, they will re-imburse lost system power, so they have incentive to respond to an outage (partial or full) promptly. When you Purchase, there is no incentive. After talking with a local VP, they had to admit that Purchased systems have a lower priority than Leased systems when it comes to service/repair resources. So, it's buyer beware time with dishonest sales/engineering. They promised me a system with a power output that would not be possible because of North facing panels. You also need to check to see what the limits are on power generation to the grid. The local utilities won't subsidize systems too much over your existing usage history.. even though with Solar, I'd run the A/C all the time and charge cars that I was planning for the future. When you Purchase, all the Power generation guarantees go out the window, and so does the service response time. Plus, their salesman may sell you the impossible.. North facing sloped panels, on any solar calculator, will come out with 0 KW if you are in the Northern Hemisphere. You need them reverse tilted or at least horizontal. SunRun tried to rip me off. I reported to Costco Regional VP with an official complaint after discussion with SunRun "VP" yielded no reasonable explanation to the consumer rip-off. They would have put in a system that generated about 70% of the estimated power and I would have paid for useless panels. I TURNED THEM DOWN AND REPORTED the FRAUD. I am Honest and checked the "no I haven't been a paying customer in submitting this review. Let's see if they let it stand. The folks that run this website must get paid by these companies in advertising or other means.. The credibility of the entire report is questionable in my mind.. BEWARE!!!!!! These companies are all after the rebate money to stuff their pockets and will be full of excuses later, after you're on the hook and have stuff mounted all over your roof that cannot be removed without leaving permanent damage.

Bill

November 29th, 2017 Newmarket, NH DETAILS

Installation was fast and excellent. I know something about things electrical, electronic and structural, so I watched closely. Production in the winter was quite low, although I boosted it by using a snow rake to remove snow from panels after storms. Bottom line: they guaranteed production of at least 89% of our previous year's (before panels) consumption. Now a year has passed, and Sun Run installation produced over the guaranteed KWH's; in fact over 100% the basis for the 89% guarantee. If the panels had under-produced, I would have not been so happy because Sun Run refunds under production at a slightly lower rate than they charge for the guaranteed production. As I said, in our case, no problem. One only saves a little money, but that is not the point. the point is that we have reduced out electrical carbon footprint to zero. That is, we put more into th grid than we used.

David Nguyen

November 27th, 2017 Anaheim, CA DETAILS

SUNRUN IS A SCAM. THEY ARE RUDE, UNPROFESSIONAL, AND MAKE UNFULFILLED PROMISES. If you guys ever plan to install solar, please stay away from SunRun. They make promises, but don’t deliver at all. They are rude and unprofessional. When something goes wrong, they will not take ownership or responsibility for their mistakes. They will give you the run around when seeking for help and will pass you around like a hot potato. Let me explain my story. About 6 months ago, they installed solar panel on my house. On the installation day, SunRun arrived at my house very early in the morning and was very rude to my pregnant wife. They immediately tried to rush her out of the house quickly because they said they were on a time constraint. They didn’t even allow her enough time to feed our son, change his diaper, apply his eczema medication, or even prepare a bag (medication, food, cloth, and diaper). She felt uncomfortable by how they were pressuring her, so she left the house immediately. As a result, my 2-year old son who has eczema, scratch himself the whole day at the babysitter’s house. That same night including the next 5-7 nights, it was a nightmare for us. He scratched himself to the point that he started bleeding, which resulted in stains on the bed sheet. We had to wake up almost every hour to apply medication on him because of his itching or else he wouldn’t be able to sleep. Typically, he wakes up about 1-2 times a night because of the itching; but in this case, he was up almost every hour for almost a week straight. This is not acceptable at all! In addition to that, they did not do a good job installing our solar panel. SunRun installed solar panel and damaged my roof, but they won’t take any ownership or responsibility at all. I have neighbors and contractors who witnessed the damage and SunRun didn’t accept their statements. I had to hire my contractor to perform an emergency repair to the damage because it was raining that week. SunRun also claimed that nothing was wrong with the roof when they came back for inspection. However, prior to their inspection, I informed them that I hired my contractor to fix the damage because it was raining that week. They even stated that I did not provide any documents for my claim. What a lie! They gave me the run around and continued to pass me around like a hot potato. One of their managers wanted to meet me and my family in person to personally apologize and compensate us. We scheduled a date and he never showed up. My wife and I waited the whole day for him. No calls or anything. The next day I called the manager to inquire about him not showing up and he tried to deflect my questions. Then, he became irate over the phone. I’ve been back and forth with SunRun for about 6 months with no success at all to this day. I would never want anyone to go through what I’ve been through with this company. No one deserves to be treated like this and I would hate to have to hear another story like this one. I know it’s not going anywhere with them, so I’m here asking the public for help. Please avoid this company.

Quin Thompson

November 20th, 2017 Framingham, MA DETAILS

Went through the whole process of getting approved only to find out the don''t do clay tile roofs. This is something they should of know before letting me go through the process.

chan

November 20th, 2017 Casa Grande, AZ' DETAILS

Never heard from them they provided no information no explanation no costs or product specifications

Walt

November 20th, 2017 Hereford, AZ DETAILS

They just keep calling. I keep telling them that I'm not ready yet. I'll call them. But they keep calling.

Solar Customer

November 10th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

You have to pay everything upfront. Once they had my payment the installation was incorrect. The system did not pass inspection after installation. Some of the problems were not resolved. I have also had three electrical problems in my house since the installation.

John Wallace

November 5th, 2017 Lucerne Valley, CA DETAILS

I would like to share a recent Email that I sent to Sunrun It details some of the experiences that I have had with them. Hi Michael ****, No New issues, just the same ones that Horizon Solar left me with, after their shotty install job. Still have a ghost in my Electrical system, about every 2-3 weeks I have to replace something electric, This week it was the light switch for the back porch lights. 3-weeks ago it was an outlet in my daughter's room, her computer and other items plugged into that outlet stopped working, after some testing we ended up replacing that outlet, again I believe this is the 3rd time we have replaced that outlet since the installation. The Back porch light bulbs, never last more than a few days before they blow out, these are brand new 5000 hour fluorescent bulbs, they last an average of 8-10 days before needing to be replaced. The front porch lights don't work half the time when we turn them on. And the last electrician you guy's sent out here said I had $20-30k Twenty to Thirty Thousand Dollars in damage to my Electrical system, Funny how you guy's just stop talking to me when he reported that, And you sent the account straight to collections instead of trying to fix the problems .... Did you think that all these problems were just going to fix themselves ? Maybe you though I was just making all of this up ? Until your Electrician came back with his report, you probably did think I was making all this up, but even after all of that, Instead of Trying to fix the problems you just sent the account to collections... Did you think we were just going to pay the bill and live with the Damages ??? Your Electrician also said I have something called Ground Leakage, he had measureable current in the grounding rods for the solar system, So if your system Really is working Like you guys say it is , It looks like all of that power is going right into the ground, and I am paying for it !, Before Solar I had a $200-$400 dollar Electrical bill, Now I have a $250-$600 Electrical bill EVERY MONTH, and I have a $212.59 Solar payment TOO... Edison has told me on multiple occasions that this solar system is not working correctly, Your own Electrician told me this system is NOT working correctly, and I have thousands of dollars in damage to my Electrical system, I still have high, Electrical bills Even Higher than before we had solar ? and a $212.59 Solar bill on top of that ? My Roof still leaks, I have sent in several pictures of this Multiple times. My Heater still doesn't work and it's almost winter AGAIN !!! Hot tub was never Reinstalled, now after 3 years of sitting it needs to be replaced, Pumps, lines, valves, all damaged by freezing conditions here in the winter. Backup generator was never installed, Inverter still makes terrible noises that we can hear thru the whole house, Since the day the Second Inverter was installed over 2 years now, the inverter has only recognized 35 of 36 panels, When I told Horizon about this, they referred me to Sunrun, you guy's are supposed to be monitoring this system and you can't see that ? Sunrun should have scheduled a service call to fix this issue years ago, but they didn't, and neither did Horizon Solar. A few days ago, the same day we replaced the back porch light switch, the pool pump stopped working , I can only imagine that it has something to do with all of the Electrical problems we are having... The pool pump is going to be over $1000.00 one thousand dollars to replace, So if I find out it was related to the issues I am having with the electrical system I will have to Charge the replacement and installation of that, to you guy's also. All I am asking is that my house be put back together the right way, Damages fixed, Appliances Replaced, Safety Restored... I am not asking for, the thousands of dollars in lost wages, from the 28+ days I had to take off of work for Horizon Solar to get the system installed. I am not asking for the $2,000 that it cost us to get all the information recovered from the hard drives, that were fried during the installation, so that we could get our Small Business up and running again. I am not asking for the Hundreds of dollars I have already taken out of my pocket for, Switches, Outlets, Bulbs, Tools, lighting fixtures and Appliances. All I am asking for is Everything to be fixed once and for all, to be completely Honest with you, You Guy's ( Sunrun ) have not even made an attempt, to fix anything, you sent one Electrician out here, he gave you some bad news, and now NOBODY wants to own up to Taking Responsibility for the Damages Done to our house. (by the way I am a Residential and Commercial inspector for a living, incase you are wondering why I see every little bit of Damage, Because it's my job...) Hey here's an idea, Maybe you guy's should hire me, to do your post install quality assurance checks... Best John W

Peter Hogg

October 31st, 2017 DETAILS

We had recently complained about defective panels and finally after months got a wonderful technician who replaced the panels in two days. However, our bill for the year came to over $1600,00 which is a thousand dollars over the projected cost given to us by the salesman when installed. We've had the system for 7 years and expected costs to go up but never have we met the projection cost as it's always higher. Thus, I contacted Sunrun and I was told I had to submit the years bills from Southern California Electric. I did send the bills attn. Danielle P who did not respond.... recontacted to verify that she had received the SCE bills but again no response. Bad business or just rude. Whatever, it's been our whole experience with Sunrun and so wish we had never gone with them as our solar provider.

October 30th, 2017 El Dorado Hills, CA DETAILS

Aggressive sales technique (kept emailing electronic signature page & contract for weeks after I asked them to stop), expensive, no local representative.

Marlon

October 30th, 2017 amaica, NY DETAILS

Great costumer service. The installers were very professional, they answer all me questions without hesitation.

Susan

October 30th, 2017 Chatsworth, CA DETAILS

They are friendly and professional. The two guys that have been to my house have been great. But it is taking a long time to get my final plans prepared