Sunrun

verified
Sunrun has helped over 180,000 customers save more than $100 million on their electricity bills with solar!

There are many solar companies out there, but which one actually provides the most value and best customer service? We've made it our mission to find out.

After conducting exhaustive research on the solar industry and gathering hundreds of Sunrun reviews, we've weighed the good and the bad and discovered Sunrun to be one of the top installers of solar panels based on a variety of criteria points.

The renewable energy company, which is based in San Francisco, California, has installed over 1460 megawatts of solar power and helped tens of thousands of consumers in 19 states and Washington D.C. to lower their electricity bills.

Sunrun is the pioneer of the solar-as-a-service model and continues to drive innovation of solar generation, storage, and energy services and technologies. The rooftop solar provider's mission is to create a planet run by the sun.

The Good

• Payment Flexibility
  • Customized Solar Systems
  • Simple Solar Process
  • 20-Year Maintenance
  • Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels
  • Customer Care Team
  • Battery Storage Options
  • High Level of Transparency with Customers
  • Installation Experience
  • Extensive Availability
  • Helpful Website

Payment Flexibility

In order to fit the needs of almost any customer, Sunrun offers several financing options, including solar leases, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), prepayments, outright purchases, and loans.

Sunrun solar lease and PPA options give customers the chance to reap the benefits of a home solar system for zero to little upfront cost.

The prepayment option features all of the same benefits as the lease option, except the customer doesn't have to worry about the hassle of monthly payments.

Purchasing a Sunrun solar system outright provides customers with long-term savings, while financing a Sunrun solar system through a loan allows customers to make payments to own their system, which provides long-term benefits.

Customized Solar Systems

Sunrun understands that every customer's home, lifestyle, and savings goal is unique.

As a result, the company customizes every system it installs to the customer's needs using its own design technology called BrightPath. With just a few pieces of information and a satellite image of the rooftop, BrightPath can quickly create a custom solar system that will maximize energy production.

Simple Solar Process

Sunrun strives to make switching to clean energy as simple and hassle-free as possible for its customers. The rooftop solar provider helps save time by taking care of everything from scheduling to permitting and allowing people to follow their installation progress through the mySunrun mobile app. The design and installation process is as follows:

• Step 1: Sunrun's experienced technicians will visit, measure, and evaluate the home; ensure that a solar system is the right fit; and design a customized solar plan.
  • Step 2: Sunrun's design experts will review and make any adjustments to the custom evaluation.
  • Step 3: Sunrun submits the design plans to the local city government for permitting.
  • Step 4: After the permit is granted, Sunrun's installers will come out to the home, go over the custom design with the customer, receive approval, and get to work.
  • Step 5: Once the system has been installed, the city or county will perform the final inspection.
  • Step 6: Sunrun will submit documents to the utility company and "Permission to Operate" will be granted.

20-Year Maintenance

If customers choose to lease or obtain a PPA, Sunrun will own the system and, therefore, is responsible for all maintenance and repairs of the system. Additionally, Sunrun will refund customers if the panels installed on their roof ever underperform.

Roof Warranties and Coverage for Solar Panels

Other benefits of Sunrun's product include a 10-year warranty on systems that are purchased and a 20-year warranty on systems that are leased. Each solar customer's Sunrun contract also includes a roof warranty, which protects the roof from leaks or holes.

Additionally, Sunrun provides its solar customers with 24/7 system monitoring for no additional fee. The company's Monitoring Team oversees all all Sunrun systems and keeps an eye on production levels. If something happens or if performance dips, Sunrun will contact you as soon as possible to get things fixed.

Customer Care Team

Sunrun provides a US-based customer care team that is ready to answer questions and help resolve any issues that may arise.

Battery Storage Options

Sunrun offers a battery storage option that can be purchased or leased called Brightbox. With Brightbox, customers can enjoy safe, clean, and reliable backup power in the event of a blackout.

Additionally, Brightbox helps customers save money by seamlessly optimizing when a home uses electricity generated by solar panels, stored in the battery, or from the grid.

High Level of Transparency with Customers

Sunrun provides an abundance of information on its website and strives to be very transparent with its customers. The company's website includes a detailed FAQ section, a helpful guarantee page, and an informative "Plans and Services" page that will help customers better understand how to move forward with Sunrun and start taking advantage of solar power.

Installation Experience

When it comes to solar installation, Sunrun is one of the most experienced companies in the solar industry. In fact, the company is one of the few solar installers that has installed over 1460 megawatts of solar energy.

As a result, Sunrun has offset 1.7 million tons of carbon emissions and helped more than 180,000 customers to reduce their electricity bills and take advantage of net metering.

Extensive Availability

Sunrun currenty offers solar energy services in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.

Helpful Website

Sunrun's website includes a variety of blog posts and helpful, easy-to-digest resources, including information on solar panels, plans and services, the cost of solar, warranties, installations, rebates and incentives, net metering, and more.

Considering doing business with Sunrun? Click here.

The Bad

• Outsourcing Installations for Remote Homes

Outsourced Installations for Remote Homes

A majority of Sunrun's installations are performed in-house, meaning that Sunrun employees will install the solar systems themselves, which is ideal. Occasionally, the company will contract other installers to work on homes that are too remote for Sunrun itself to reach.

While Sunrun does train and approve these third-party contractors before they work on a home, this outsourcing strategy has often led to inconsistencies in performance upon installation. Consequently, customer satisfaction concerning the installation quality and overall experience varies.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Sunrun is highly recommended to homeowners who are looking to go solar. Sunrun's high quality solar energy systems, variety of financing options, lengthy maintenance coverage and warranties, and customer service and transparency are attractive features that make breaking away from your utility company and switching to solar simple and affordable.

Interested in going solar with Sunrun? Click here. Want to learn more about Sunrun? Check out the Sunrun solar reviews from real customers below.

Call our recommended rep over at Sunrun below.

3.4

Hilary
February 19th, 2019 Clovis, CA

Had our system installed in October 2018, and still waiting for it to be up and running. The only thing I hear from my project manager is "still waiting on power company to sign off". I kinda thought Surun would be more proactive.

Bob Larsen
February 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Very easy and pleasurable to deal with. The installers we're fantastic.

Agnes Abola
February 11th, 2019 Encinitas, CA DETAILS

People at Sunrun were very responsive, efficient and competent.

Miss Margaret in South Carolina
February 11th, 2019 Pendleton, SC DETAILS

Thus far in the SunRun experience, all of the interactions I have had with SunRun personnel have been great experiences with very professional business people. And the system runs without problems, and I love (1) the savings on Duke Energy bills, and (2) just knowing that most of my electricity comes from the Sun!

Carol
February 10th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

They were really good in the beginning but haven't followed through very well. I just wish they would follow up with their customers after they get the job. They don't seem to follow up to see if the customers are happy or not once they get the sale.

Leyden
February 10th, 2019 Sanger, CA DETAILS

They have qualified staff. There were good sales people working with us all the way through the process. The support has been very good just to follow up with the issues or problems I've had. They're out here pretty quick. I've had some issues with some of the switches and things like that that sometimes don't work as I expected them to.

Juan
February 10th, 2019 El Sobrante, CA DETAILS

The customer service has been very supportive and every time we ask questions, they've been very prompt and they always answered all the questions. Everything has been working to what we expected.

Nigel
February 10th, 2019 Queens Village, NY DETAILS

The panels haven't given any trouble after being installed. It seems ot be working. I'm not getting what I wanted but I supposed it takes a while for that to come over. They're working on it.

Gary
February 10th, 2019 Thousand Oaks, CA DETAILS

The installation process was actually quite good. The panels on the roof work just fine. I'm very pleased.

Lyn
February 10th, 2019 Paso Robles, CA DETAILS

The panels appear to be new and up to date and everything is working just fine. In signing up I was led to believe that I should have my power bill literally cut in half if not more and I'm still short every year by quite a bit. Sunrun isn't really working for me in that respect.

Jamie
February 10th, 2019 Oceanside, CA DETAILS

I haven't had a ton of experience with the customer service but one of the set up processes wasn't super smooth.

Mark
February 10th, 2019 Vista, CA DETAILS

The customer service was very prompt and they get the job done.

Jed
February 10th, 2019 DETAILS

What they told us wasn't correct. We were trying to save energy from all the electric companies and basically we are paying a little more than what was told that they would cover.

Jerold
February 10th, 2019 Wagener, SC DETAILS

It was zero money out of my pocket, which was nice. I thought the customer service people did a good job.

Carol
February 10th, 2019 San Juan Bautista, CA DETAILS

Everything went perfectly during installation. There wasn't a hiccup in the whole process. They were professional and courteous. They were on time and they got our job done quickly and I'm happy as a clam. They were quick about it and explained to me what they were doing. They told me exactly how long it would take. They were very professional, every single one of them. The system is working perfectly. We haven't had any glitches in the system and I'm very happy with it. We had sort of an unusual occurrence. The day they completely finished the installation, the technician had left and unbeknownst to me, the power went off, but I didn't think the system was working. So I called him and he came back.

Susanto
February 9th, 2019 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

It was convenient. Installation went well and quick. I have no problem with the equipment.

David
February 9th, 2019 Clarkdale, AZ DETAILS

I think they could charge a little less. Installation went well.

February 9th, 2019 Garden Grove, CA DETAILS

It seems to work fine and the installation was fine.

Thomas
February 9th, 2019 Ladera Ranch, CA DETAILS

The equipment is working as planned and installation went very well. It is hard to get a call through to customer support, I have waited up to forty minutes on the line. When I do get through the situation is taken care of.

Anthony
February 9th, 2019 Palm Springs, CA DETAILS

It works wonderfully. You can always reach customer support and they explain everything in easy to understand terms. They have been proactive; when they see something wrong, they'll contact me and the problem is resolved.

Ken
February 9th, 2019 Murrieta, CA DETAILS

So far it has been very efficient and we are pleased about it basically eliminating our power bill. Every time we have contacted them, they have answers to our problems and take care of any issues we had.

Lauren
February 9th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Installation was good but they did not put enough panels, I think there should be more up there. I never got a rebate so I would not recommend SunRun because my neighbor did get one.

John
February 9th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

It looks pretty good but I have seen better. They are not very responsive to my needs. I would like them to invest a little bit more in keeping their customers happy after set up.

Gunnard
February 9th, 2019 Kapolei, HI DETAILS

It has been working well. Installation wen quickly and efficiently. I was unfamiliar with the system and when customer support discovered I was having a problem, they fixed it.

Sunrun Logo

Reply from Sunrun

Sep 17, 2018

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns Gunnard H. We see that we are working on your service issue. It's disheartening to hear that the service has not been what you expected. We certainly hate to hear this. We want to help with your situation and initiate our goal of providing a positive customer experience.

Don
February 9th, 2019 Monterey, CA DETAILS

I was a little disappointed in the first installation. It went almost too fast, they should have taken a little more time. Other than that it has been pretty good.

Mary
February 9th, 2019 Spartanburg, SC DETAILS

Installation was great. They fixed my rafters in the ceiling and they were always here when they should have been.

James
February 9th, 2019 Henderson, NV DETAILS

They were very efficient with installation. I was really astounded by the reduction of my city electric bill.

Dekki
February 9th, 2019 Grand Terrace, CA DETAILS

I am very satisfied. The service is very good. Every single person, not just customer service, but all the team workers at sun run are very knowledgeable. They are very specific with follow up instructions. Installation was very professional and very good. The product is guaranteed by Costco. The quality is good.

Thomas
February 9th, 2019 Murrieta, CA DETAILS

The price was good and they offered us the ability to buy what we needed not a package. It does the job it is intended to do and we're not paying for electricity. I do have a piece of equipment that they told me to get in touch with the manufacturer about, but it is not harming the system.

Cory
February 9th, 2019 Ramona, CA DETAILS

They are the only ones offering batteries with the solar panels. The device is not groundbreaking or innovative but it gets the job done and it works well. Customer service is on top, whenever I call, they respond. The mobile app is trash, it didn't work well and was a waste of dollars.

Ismael
February 9th, 2019 Spring Valley, CA DETAILS

It has been a very easy process start to finish. They answered all my questions I had about new to sola system. They actually take the time to go in depth, one on one with each individual customer in regards to any issues that they might have with your billing or whatever.

Richard
February 9th, 2019 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

It appears to be fairly decent. I have already had a number of bills that were way under in the power. Installation was great. Customer service is always willing to answer my question and if there is a problem, they let me know.

Roxanne
February 9th, 2019 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

We decided they were right for us because we had a flyer come to our door and we called an went with that company. The guy that we dealt with from fusion power has ben excellent. I haven't had any problems with the equipment.

Robert
February 9th, 2019 San Ramon, CA DETAILS

I choose them because they were at Costco and they are a reputable company in my area. The overall customer support has been good. The coordinators were in close contact with me and checked on the progress and scheduled appropriately. They followed their commitments and time schedule. Some tiles were broken installation but they were later replaced. I am fairly satisfied with the equipment and quality.

Charles
February 9th, 2019 Hemet, CA DETAILS

They offer a lease instead of buying the solar panels. We had a lot of difficulties at the beginning with installation and getting it all set up with the power company but they were very supportive and helpful. Their equipment does not come with fencing to keep the birds away so we had to have somebody come in and put wire around the outside and I think that should be part of the equipment.

Gilbert
February 9th, 2019 Phelan, CA DETAILS

I'm satisfied, it seems to be a good investment. The equipment works well. They did a good job with installation, they stayed with it until it worked. There was some delay in getting started but once they started it one or two days for the actual install and there was a problem and then it took two or three day for the tech change and it has been fine ever since.

Peter
February 9th, 2019 DETAILS

Customer service has always been really prompt and able to give me the right answers or put me in touch with the right person. Installation went really well. The people were very knowledgeable and professional and stayed out of the way of other people in the house. They were generally very friendly. I have had any technical issues with the equipment.

Ralph
February 9th, 2019 Vacaville, CA DETAILS

All the research that we did indicated that it was a reputable company. The person came out and gave us all the information we requested. We did have them come out and put some screening around the panels because of the birds and they came and there was no issue. Installation went smoothly. The equipment has never given us problems.

MiMi DeMirjian
February 6th, 2019 Oceanside, CA DETAILS

rep was unprofessional and rude; he rescheduled 1st appointment and when I later asked to reschedule he got angry and accusatory.

Robert Smith
February 6th, 2019 Colorado City, CO DETAILS

Caller explained system and asked my a number of questions with the last being, "What is your monthly bill." I told him and he said, "That is below our threshold for a system that will pay for itself" or close to those words. He thanked me and we both hung up. A waste of both our time. You should have a "N/A" choice beside 1, 5 & 6

Carolina
February 6th, 2019 North Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I felt i was being upsold-one representative wanted me to switch from buying to leasing and another quoted many more panels than other companies had suggested

Matt Johnson
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Over billed me by $500. Their comp. device was faulty. Billing treated me terrible. Terrible service.

victor
February 6th, 2019 Prescott Valley, AZ DETAILS

I had good instalatio team,and communicatoin was ok

Unhappy customer
February 6th, 2019 West Columbia, SC DETAILS

This is the worst mistake switching I pay more money with sceg my bills are ridiculous I hate solar

Larry
February 6th, 2019 Summerville, SC DETAILS

My concern was handled quickly and efficiently.

Dave
February 6th, 2019 Rocklin, CA DETAILS

Seamless, professional, and great follow through.

J Barfield
February 6th, 2019 Kapolei, HI DETAILS

They have very professional people who go far and beyond of scope of their job to help me.

Susan Laughlin
February 6th, 2019 Benicia, CA DETAILS

Everyone I had anything to do with at SunRun was efficient and professional. No glitches!

Gloria
February 6th, 2019 Mayer, AZ DETAILS

Great service. They follow through with what they said they'd do. It works great in the summertime when the days are longer and more sunshine.

wayne
February 6th, 2019 Desert Hot Springs, CA DETAILS

The system works as advertised with no problems and as expected.

Sunrun Logo

Reply from Sunrun

Feb 15, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review Wayne!