Founded in 1992, SunPower is a solar company that prides itself on delivering reliable energy and long-term peace of mind for homeowners and businesses. The company is a pioneer in the industry and currently holds more than 750 patents for solar technology.

SunPower is known for manufacturing top-quality and high-efficiency solar panels that generate more power than conventional solar technologies. The company has a uniquely attractive, all-black appearance for itself and offers a few different options to help both residential and commercial consumers get started with renewable energy. SunPower outsources most, if not all, of its projects to third-party solar installers.

Keep reading to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SunPower, and check out SunPower reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available
  • High Efficiency Panels
  • Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production
  • Attractive Appearance
  • Compatible With Battery Storage
  • Online Monitoring
  • Lengthy Warranties

Purchase, Lease, and Loan Options Available

SunPower offers three different payment options for customers to choose from: solar leasing, purchasing with cash, and financing with a loan.

With the lease option, SunPower Capital owns the system and the customer rents the system from the company, requiring monthly payments. The lease comes with a 20-year performance guarantee, as well as easy options in case the customer needs to transfer the lease.

SunPower also offers outright purchase and financing options for customers interested in the tax credits and other incentives that come along with solar power ownership. Loan terms for solar systems typically range from 5 to 20 years and do not have any prepayment penalties attached.

The cost of a SunPower solar system ultimately depends on several factors, including current energy usage, available amount of unshaded roof space, the local utility’s net metering policy, and other factors. The easiest way to figure out exactly how much solar will cost you is to obtain a free quote from SunPower.

High Efficiency Panels

SunPower is on the cutting edge of solar technology and excels when it comes to innovation, design, and production of solar equipment, so customers can be confident that they will have high quality products on their homes.

In fact, SunPower makes the highest efficiency solar panels you can buy for your roof in today's market, and the company's solar cells are made of anti-reflective glass and coated with anti-reflective coating to ensure that they capture as much sunlight as possible.

Industry-Leading Solar Panel Energy Production

SunPower's X-Series solar panels excel in terms of power generation and deliver 44 percent more energy per watt than competitive products. This means that SunPower can provide more clean power for its customers' homes with fewer solar panels.

SunPower panels also boast 75 percent more energy per watt than conventional solar panels, meaning that an investment in a SunPower system will ultimately pay off more in the long run.

Additonally, SunPower panels maintain their energy production much better than conventional panels in partly-shaded conditions, making them a better rooftop solar option for customers who live in a cloudy region or a relatively shaded area.

Attractive Appearance

In addition to being highly efficient, SunPower's panels are uniquely attractive and aesthetically pleasing. While many other companies in the solar industry offer traditional blue photovoltaic panels, SunPower's panels are all black, which helps them to blend in better with the rooftop on many houses.

Compatible With Battery Storage

SunPower's panels are compatible with the Freedom CPAP Battery produced by Battery Power Solutions. When a SunPower module is installed along with this battery, customers will still have access to electricity in the event of a power outage.

Online Monitoring

Online monitoring is extremely important for customers who want to see what the panels on their roof are producing and ensure that everything is up to par.

SunPower offers a helpful, convenient app for customers to do just that. The app provides important system information such as power output, savings, energy usage over time, and environmental effects.

There is also a consumption monitoring kit that provides more information than the app for customers who would like a more in-depth way to monitor their system. The consumption monitoring kit is installed by the dealer, but may not be compatible with all homes.

Lengthy Warranties

SunPower offers multiple warranties to protect its customers' solar energy systems, including a 25-year product warranty, which covers the equipment itself, and a 25-year workmanship warranty, which covers the labor and installation. The clean energy company also offers a 25-year performance warranty, which covers the customer in the event that their solar modules underperform in terms of electricity production and output.

The Bad

• No PPAs for Non-Commerical Buyers
  • Few In-House Installations
  • Customer Service Complaints

No PPAs for Non-Commercial Buyers

Many customers may be interested in obtaining a SunPower module through a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) because this payment method typically includes some kind of $0 down option, which eliminates a barrier to entry for them to go solar.

Unfortunately, SunPower only offers PPAs to commercial customers, so consumers who are interested in a PPA for their home solar system will not have much luck with this company.

Few In-House Installations

SunPower is performing installations itself in select areas of California; however, SunPower panels are available in the following areas through a network of dealers:

• Arizona
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Texas
  • Utah

The dealer you choose will end up being your installer and customer care center for the life of the solar PV panels, which creates a bit of confusion as to who should be contacted (the dealer or SunPower) in the event that any issues occur.

Customer Service Complaints

Many users on our site have provided negative feedback in regards to SunPower's customer service.

Common complaints include difficulty to reach a representative, company failure to return phone calls, slow response time, and inability to resolve issues.

The Bottom Line

SunPower offers a number of payment options, some of the most efficient solar panels in the industry, online monitoring for its customers, and a lengthy workmanship and product warranty.

However, the company does not offer PPAs to residential customers and outsources most of its installations, making it confusing for customers to know who to contact if there is an issue.

Call our recommended rep over at SunPower below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

FreuMa

July 24th, 2019 Oakley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I would have like to give 4 1/2 stars, but there was no option. The half star would be because at times it is challenging to communicate with the team. I've started looking to get Solar installed to my in December 2018. After reaching out to several different Solar companies, and being declined by them (I live most of the year alone and my average electricity bill is about $75), because my business was not worth their effort, I found information about SunPower on the AAA membership vendor site, also promising a $1000 rebate, when installation is done. SunPower was the only one of two companies that were interested in my installation, saying it's not about how much money they make but how much money I can save and the environmental benefit. I really liked that approach and, after getting a lot of information and reading up some more, I've signed with SunPower (OK, I admit, the $1000 AAA rebate was also on my mind...). After signing the contract and the loan, the SunPower team took it from there and took care of any paperwork and approval needed for the installation and system. Panels seem to be hot commodity and setting the installation date took longer than I've expected, but it was just a matter of time. The installation team was AMAZING. On time, very professional and friendly, they informed me about everything they will do and is happening. The thing that impressed me the most was, they've asked me if I still have some of the color my house is painted in. My home is still rather new, so I do. The installation team didn't only do a very clean job, they've also painted all of the lines and connections, anything running around the house wall in exactly the colors of the wall. Even when the lines ran over an area where the color changed, they've painted exactly the fitting color. Thanks to that, it's hard to see anything on the outside of my house. Looking at my neighbours Solar installation, where the lines and connections are white, silver or black running all along the house, I am still thrilled that my home is so clean installed. Shortly after the installation I was visited by a wonderful customer service guy, who made sure my app is set up and works, explained to me how my PG&E bill will change, what won't change and how it works over the year. He is also my contact, should I have any issues with my panels. Now comes the part where 1 star was missing to my 5 star rating. Since I've contacted SunPower via AAA, I qualify for the rebate. Since I of course had no idea how that works, I've mentioned and asked about that every time, with every person I spoke. Nobody knew from the tip of their head, but everybody nodded, promised to look into this and get back to me asap - nobody ever did. At one point I've learned that the sales guy, whom I met in December, has left the company and a new, very nice sales guy reached out to me, checking up if everything is set up and working well. Again, I've asking him how the rebate works, what I need to do, what to submit to whom. He said he'll look into this and get back to me - never did. I've reached out to many (very nice!) internal and external employees, pretty much anybody I could get a hold of. But nobody could help me, nobody got back to me. This went on from March to July - MAN, was I annoyed! So, I've decided to go the other way around and reached out to AAA, asking them for help. After all, they are the one advertising the rebate. This time it worked!!! And here is where I got happily back to a 5 star rating. AAA helped me and quickly got me in contact with the right person (Alex B - whom I can't thank enough!) and after 4 month of running in circles, he was not only able to help me what it takes and what I need to do, everything has been approved within 1 1/2 weeks!!! :) I have also recommended SunPower to a friend of mine. She is now waiting for her installation and thanks to Alex, I'm also already in contact with the right person at SunPower to get the referral bonus. I recommend SunPower highly to anybody who asks me. Besides of the rebate issue in between, I've had a great experience with them. They are very responsive and it is very easy to communicate with them. And the clean way the panels have been installed and even more so, the lines and connections are nicely integrated to my house is just wonderful.

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you for your comments! Glad you're overall happy with your system and installation, and we'll be sure to pass along that feedback.

Chris B

July 23rd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We own solar panels from SunPower. All was good until it wasn’t. Suddenly the panels stopped working and we were given no notification. The company monitors the panels and the SunPower app on the phone could easily notify the customer that there is a problem. Any app can do that. So we found out by chance when we looked at the box in the garage that shows how much electricity is being generated that there was no production. We looked at the app on the phone and after logging in we saw that our system had been down for over 10 days. . Now the fun part starts: Trying to contact customer service. First of all, customer service is in the Philippines and not very helpful. They noted the problem and said they would have someone contact us. Well, to make a long story short: Nobody ever called back, we called at least 4 times and they kept telling us that they need a part (an “optimiser”, whatever that is) which is on back order. How did they know that without having been here and troubleshoot the problem? Now it has been almost 6 weeks that our panels are not producing electricity (month of June and July in California!) and there is no sign that the repair will be done any time soon. We keep calling and NOTHING gets done. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! I don’t even want to think how much money we have lost by not being able to produce electricity during the sunniest and longest days of the year in California!! We are furious. We spent a lot of money when we purchased these panel and had no idea that customer service would be so bad, inefficient and disorganised. The company DOESN’T CARE!! Horrible experience.

Jul 24, 2019

Hello Chris, I am very sorry that you have had that experience with us. We take your feedback very seriously. I would really like the opportunity to restore your faith in SunPower. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details, and I will have a member of our executive service team contact you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We truly value your business.

Cookie Longaacre

July 23rd, 2019 Corona, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First of all, I don't understand how any this works, but I guess I don't really need to. I do feel, however, that I am paying more money now than before. I've been with SunPower for three years and at the end of each year I still have to pay Edison over $100. I also have to pay a small amount throughout the year so I didn't save any money by going solar. It helps the environment, but it sure doesn't save me any money.

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Hopefully you've called us at 1-800-SunPower so we can look into how much energy your system is producing.

Linda Fuller-Houston

July 22nd, 2019 Hamden, CT

The workers were very professional and seemed to have knowledge of the work that they had to complete. I didn't expect the start-to- finish to take as long as it did. At one point I was getting frustrated and somewhat disappointed with SunPower. At last, things worked out.

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, Linda. Sorry to hear there were delays, as normally the process takes an average of two months, but glad to hear everything worked out.

Don H.

July 22nd, 2019 Richmond, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to work with in the planning stages. Great coordination with the City for Permit Inspections. Smooth, clean installation. The only delay was PG&E's acceptance and connection which SunPower had no control over. Plus, all is working well and meeting my needs.

Aug 05, 2019

Thanks for choosing SunPower, Don!

Arek Puzia

July 22nd, 2019 Walnut Creek, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service and installation. The team was on time and did a great job.

Aug 05, 2019

Congrats on your new solar system, Arek!

Happy Customer

July 22nd, 2019 Grimes, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Excellent service and product; happy with results.

Christo Tonev

July 22nd, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have very high quality products and their installation service is great.

Thank you Christo!

Monique

July 22nd, 2019 Dixon, CA

Arrived on time and explained how to use system thoroughly along with providing great customer service.

Aug 05, 2019

Congrats on going solar Monique!

Jeanmichel daniel

July 22nd, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall my experience with sun power was disappointing. I really like the product but not too happy on the follow up.

Aug 05, 2019

We're glad you are happy with your system, Jeanmichel. Please reach out to us via private message so we can answer any of your follow-up questions.

kitty tanguay

July 20th, 2019 Vincentown, NJ

very professional and will answer all qestions

Paul Starrs

July 19th, 2019 El Cerrito, CA

A superb product and the installation was equal to that -- efficient, patient when we had to travel for a couple of days, and the results are quite lovely -- AND productive. It was a small job (a large house, but small electricity use), but the results were really good, and we're regularly generating 135 to 180 percent of the power we consume. (Of course, this is summer; it'll be less in winter, and they were careful to hold the total production over the course of a year near 90% of our use.) The folks in Austin (Jess); the installers (Julani and his crew), the SunPower installation inspector (Connor), and the original sales person (Jensen) were each exemplary. Bravo!

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you Paul! Congrats on going solar and on making so much clean energy this summer.

K L

July 19th, 2019 Castro Valley, CA

The majority of the team, sales, installation, and project management, are very professional and helpful. The overall process was simple and the team kept me informed all the way. The only reason I gave it 4-star instead of 5 is because of the inspection coordinator's action. He did not make contact with me to schedule/coordinate the inspection date/time in advance. He e-mailed me at 6PM the night before city inspection and expected me to be available the next morning at 8AM.

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower, KL. We apologize for that short notice on your inspection time. Please let us know if you need anything further.

∫Bradley Smith

July 19th, 2019 Summerfield, NC

Your sales person did reasonable job He took a little too long to get back to us and interest had cooled off. The price is too high and payback is impossible. It looks like your price would have been OK BUT looks like you added the rebate on your price voiding any help it would have been!

Jul 22, 2019

Hello Mr. Smith, I'm sorry to hear your experience with one of our third party dealers, did not meet your expectation. When you have a moment please send me a private message with your contact information. I can have one of our inside sales team members reach out to you. They may be able to provided additional options for you. We truly value your feedback and we look forward to speaking with you. Thank you!

Viengboupha Sabandith

July 18th, 2019 Hurst, TX

Great services, I recommend this company for the best.

Clayvon Countryman Jr

July 18th, 2019 Tolland, CT

I’m impressed with the panels provide and we have noticed a huge savings. Everyone from the beginning of the project to the end. Kept us we informed as the steps happened. Thank You.

Aug 05, 2019

Thank you for choosing SunPower and congrats on saving money by switching to clean solar energy.

Kathy Sugar

July 18th, 2019 Pawcatuck, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

One issue we have had is a company that I believe Sunpower outsources, keeps canceling an appointment for a yearly check on the equipment. Feels like maybe they will be here when it is two years old!!!

Hector barragan

July 18th, 2019 Walnut Grove, CA

Everything went smooth with the paper work. On the installation Sonray did a great job. Every person that I came contac with was was very knowledgeable and professional..

Tony

July 18th, 2019 Van Nuys, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SunPower's installation team was fantastic. However, follow-up customer service has frequently been slow and incomplete.

Amit Jain

July 17th, 2019 Round Rock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They will install it for you but forget customer service and maintenance. I have called them three times in the last 6 months and on the phone they confirm that someone will call back. But that never happens.

Jul 18, 2019

Hello Amit Jain, I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. Providing excellent customer service is our main goal. I have reviewed the call logs on your account. There is no record of you calling in with any concerns to SunPower. Can you please send me a private message with the number you were calling. I will investigate further. We truly do value your feedback and your business. Thank you,

Joseph Locoteta

July 17th, 2019 Bergenfield, NJ

After I was talking to signing up I was promised the world. Absolutely nothing. No help from anybody I had to contact the Better Business Bureau just to get a response from your home office once you sign up they leave you high and dry I have been having problems since day one and nobody has addressed it at all

Jul 18, 2019

Hello Mr. Locoteta. I'm so sorry to hear of your negative experience. Providing excellent customer service is our main goal. Upon review of your account it appears that you have been in contact with Gabe. Please be expecting a call from him to discuss your concerns in details. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Svetlana Zhuravskaya

July 17th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good relations between company workers and customers. Promt response for any needs.

Jerry

July 17th, 2019 Livermore, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great planning and construction. Power production is better than estimated. Thanks!

Tom

July 17th, 2019 Buena Park, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very good experience but the app could use some improvement

MIGUEL AGUILAR

July 16th, 2019 Bound Brook, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was told by the sales rep that i would not be paying much to pse&g but that's not true i told the rep and showed him the bill how high it was and told him are we going to have enough panel to help with that he said yes but know they saying i use more than what it produces. why didn't he put enough solar panels to help the dont listen and promise a lot. then they say refferal program of 500 i did and not even that

Jul 18, 2019

Hello Mr Aguilar, I'm sorry that your expectations have not been met. I would love the opportunity to restore your faith in SunPower. Please be expecting a call from an executive service specialist to discuss your concerns in details. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback. Thank you.

Jesus Zepeda

July 16th, 2019 San Jacinto, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Michael J was awesome!! He explained everything every step of the way. He went above and beyond! Great customer service!!

Kalin C

July 16th, 2019 Roseville, CA

Bruce was great. He was very knowledgeable and helpful with the questions I had regarding Solar. I would recommend him in the future.

Frank Fisher

July 16th, 2019 Millville, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the clean power provides for me clean energy that I get from it the only issue I have is when I tell them to take my payment out on the 5th of the month they insist on trying to take it out at the end of the month and bouncing my checking account I've explained to them three or four times that my check does not get into my account until the 3rd of the month Can they please take the money out on the 5th of the month but it doesn't seem to work other than that I love the way that it works and I really enjoy the clean energy that it provides for me

Edwin Bates

July 16th, 2019 Gaylordsville, CT

Installed in one day. Installed by sunpower techs. Very nice people. Nice clean installation. Working great. I contacted energy geeks. They coordinated everything. A+ for both companies

MIchael C Fishbein

July 16th, 2019 Encino, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very pleased. All is working well. I have added two electric cars and my electric bill is basically taxes and fees only.

Gary Eigenberg

July 16th, 2019 Milford, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Working with SunPower was a positive experience from the beginning and all the way through installation. Very professional and quality products.

Mary Goggi

July 16th, 2019 Ansonia, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Courteous, knowledgeable, wonderful experience.

Ngoc Huynh

July 15th, 2019 Stockton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very friendly and professional customer service.

Curt

July 15th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sun Power installed 16 ea X22 360 Watt panels on my home on August 29 2018. Over all I have been very happy with the production of the solar panels, the Sun Power sales person and the Sun Power Installation team. As time moves on I am interested in adding a storage (Battery) solution to my Panels. I have looked at multiple companies but most interested in Enphase as they are a local company and I am hopeful that since Enphase purchased Sun Powers microinverters on June 13 of 2018 my panels will be compatible with Enphase storage. A suggestion to Sun Power and Enphase would be to provide a detailed process on how install Battery storage on new and older Sun Power Solar systems at a reasonable price. I see storage as being the next best thing and hopefully these two companies will work together to provide a outstanding solution.

Marilyn Russell

July 14th, 2019 Livermore, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

An amazing, vibrant, & very professional company. Yet totally helpful & friendly. Best of all, fast! I thought it would be several months to get solar installed. It was completed almost immediately (within a month from initial contact). I’m very impressed & pleased! Workers were so conscientious & left property immaculate. I also appreciate how easy it is to phone & get immediate & accurate help. Enthusiastic, competent & devoted staff. I’m very impressed with the entire company!

Jim

July 14th, 2019 Redwood City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Installation was easy, professional, nice and neat job. Our account manager was excellent, checked in regularly, no issues on scheduling dates. The panels are producing as forecast and look forward to only having a gas bill this year. I think the mobile app looks good but not impressed with the way the connectivity drops to the master unit and the slow pace of customer service to correct it.

David

July 13th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service, helped with the paperwork for filing, installed system professionally and my electricity bills have been reduced to just taxes and connection fees! Also with net metering i am generating some money too.

RJC

July 13th, 2019 Redwood City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

First-Rate service from start to finish. Clear communication and planning, on-time delivery, and great results with the installed system. No problems or delays at any stage.

David Salas

July 12th, 2019 Rialto, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Rob my salesman did a great job of explaining every detail. The installation crew were great answered every one of my questions and checked my roof leaks, fixed the leaks and replaced some missing tiles . Overall great company to work with.

Stephen0118

July 12th, 2019 Stevenson Ranch, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There were a lot of companies to choose from when it comes to solar, but SunPower is one of the best. Their prices are good, they have one of the best equipment, and they don’t try to sell you things that you don’t need. Their service is good, from sales to installation. They also have a 25-year warranty on their panels. If you need anything, such as additional panels, they will work with you. I recommend them.

Pete measso

July 12th, 2019 Belvidere, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As of right now . I give u 1 star I had to have adverters replaced, a panel replace , The outside module is having issues all within a 2 years . I’m paying for a lease plus full price on my electric bill . The other problem is no one is going to read this . So I wasted 10 minutes in your survey .

Jul 16, 2019

Hello Mr Measso, I’m sorry to hear that your expectations have not been met. We'd really like to look into this further. When you have a moment, please send us a private message with your contact details. Upon receipt, I will have an executive service specialist reach out to you to discuss your concerns in detail. We appreciate your business and truly value your feedback.

Walter J McGlothan

July 12th, 2019 Corona, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The salesman was very knowledgeable and sold me only what I needed. The product is superior to anything on the market. There are other houses in my neighborhood that are the same size with solar panels and they have twice as many.

Perry Nguyen

July 12th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Competitive, although premium, pricing. Top notch system, fast install.

Pedro Godoy

July 11th, 2019 Hopatcong, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Although no hard sell was required as I was “all in” from the get-go , process ran smoothly and am elated with the results this far.

RICHARD MURPHY

July 11th, 2019 Marlton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

best price best customer service . best overall

Michael

July 11th, 2019 Murrieta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Michael was very thorough with the setup of my SunPower solar system. He gave me expert advice, taught me how to read my charts and how to efficiently use my power. Overall, he’s a great person and does a great job.

Robert Robbins

July 11th, 2019 Enfield, CT

Anyone at the company that I’ve had contact with has been extremely helpful. It was a great experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

Ashley N Kern

July 11th, 2019 Corona, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Turning on my solar service was easy with SunPower. Only took about 10 minutes or so, and the representative who stopped by was friendly and informative!

William Swegan

July 11th, 2019 Los Banos, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

These solar panels are producing more than enough power for keeping our home comfortable during the 90 to 100 degree days here in the central valley of California. We are extremely pleased with the experience of purchasing Sunpower solar panels. No more $300 to$400 a month electric Bill's in the summer.

Debby

July 11th, 2019 Lake Forest, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SunPower follows through with what they promised. We have saved money with the panels. The software is easy to follow. The crew have been professional and caring.