Sunnova is a different kind of power company, which is reflected in its business strategy.

The company partners with the best and brightest solar experts in the areas it serves to provide customers nationwide with low-cost, worry-free solar power while supporting the local economy.

So, when you choose Sunnova, you’re not only choosing to lower your energy costs for 25 years -- you’re also making a decision that’s good for your community and the environment. And that’s a choice everybody can live with.

The Good

• Flexible Payment Options
  • Helpful Moving Options
  • Wide State Availability

Flexible Payment Options

Sunnova offers a number of payment options for customers to choose from.

The company's EZ Own option gives homeowners the opportunity to purchase a system without any upfront costs and pay a fixed amount each month for a 25-year term, which is substantially less than most power bills. At the end of the term, the customer will own the solar power system.

Sunnova's EZ Pay PPA is another diverse financing option that only requires customers to pay for the energy produced by the system at a flat monthly price. There is also a standard lease option available, during which the customer will essentially be renting the panels from Sunnova.

Helpful Moving Options

If a customer decides to move while under contract, Sunnova offers a number of options: the customer can transfer the service agreement over to the new owner, pre-pay the remainder of the contract and transfer it to the new owner, or move the system to a new address. This is especially beneficial for homeowners who are less permanent.

Wide State Availability

Sunnova is currently available in the following 19 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Nevada, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas.

The company's services are also available in the Virgin Islands, which means many consumers have the option to go solar with Sunnova.

The Bad

• Long Contract Terms
  • No Buyout Option for Leases

Long Contract Terms

Sunnova requires a 25-year service agreement, which is higher than the average 20-year agreement employed by most other solar companies.

Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a production guarantee for PPAs, which can be detrimental if the system isn't producing as much as it should be during the length of the contract.

No Buyout Option For Leases

Sunnova's lease options do not include a buyout option for customers, which creates a disadvantage for those who may need to move while under contract.

The Bottom Line

Sunnova is available in several states and offers a variety of financing options and moving options.

However, the company's contract terms are longer than industry average. Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a buyout option for leases.

View Best Solar Companies

3.8

Julio Abislaiman

October 11th, 2016

This company has absolutely no customer service. For close to three months I have been complaining about my systems performance and the only actions I see from Sunnova is their collection department calling me to collect. They are the worst.

David Weger

October 3rd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The installation crew was very professional and organized!

James Kemp

September 21st, 2016 San Francisco, CA

What was stated from the onset became a reality. Our first prorated monthly bill arrived and it showed a mark difference as was promised.

Harry Carney

September 17th, 2016 Glassboro, NJ

My system was installed and turned on 4/17/16 have been very happy with everyone and the performance. Was installed by Code Green Solar of New Jersey

WIlliam Keyes

September 15th, 2016 Folsom, CA

Buyer beware. Sales associate will say that its easy to transfer the lease to a new owner even if its a company buyout which is not supported by their inflexible management. They are in this strictly for the money are not flexible at all for the customer.

James Thornton

September 13th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The system is operating well, producing more electricity than we use. Very happy.

Keith Swindell

September 11th, 2016 El Dorado, CA

Constant incorrect billing, bad customer service, no one EVER answers the phone, or returns email requests.

Richard Wu

September 4th, 2016 Cerritos, CA

After one year of complaints, and shutting down the system and stopped paying them. They finally sent a technician to inspect the system. However they still don't want to fix the problem as recommended by their own technician. None of the customer support knows how to calculate optimal wattage of a system or total consumption of a household. I had to do the search. Worst company ever. Would give them -10 if I can

Jim

September 2nd, 2016 UT

We are charged $300 more per year than if we did not have a solar unit on the house. I am not saving any money. They say that their rates do not go that low for the area we are in. Also, it did not add value to the house. After trying to sell it, nobody wants to pay extra for it. We are stuck with a lemon!!!

Michael Perez

August 30th, 2016

This company is the worst service had the panel install over a year and only work about 1-2 month and still haven't fix it call after call and all I get a BS over the phone I would never get this company again the worst

Tony Capasso

August 15th, 2016 Runnemede, NJ

not good service at all. had to wait almost one year before it was turn on. then it was turned on in the summer months, and received a high electric bill along with the lease bill. They never said I would receive a large bill from the electric company For them to be rated where they are it is to high.

Linda Bretton

August 8th, 2016 Lake Elsinore, CA

Company will not listen to my complaint that the system is under performing, will not send anyone out to check it out. In addition I have tried for 8 months to get a pay-off figure from them, since I have a lease to purchase, not a PPA. Would NEVER sign a contract with them again. They were recommended by the company that did the installation. That company is no longer recommending them because of their poor customer service.

Barry Karen

July 29th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Installer team took care of everything. No problem. They knew more about my house then I did.

Susyn Morales

July 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

EVERYTHING was well communicated and explained. Every step, every move. My install team was so awesome. They communicated well and were thorough, polite and cleaned everything up so it was better than when they arrived each morning. Top notch all the way around.

VUONG NGUYEN

July 12th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Great Service and Installation Team...Really fast and professional. Passed city final inspection at the first short. So Impressed. I am also general contractor and I am very happy to have you as our solar support. Will refer to my friends and Clients. Keep great work...

Karen Berlin

July 7th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

We have had the system on our roof for one year now. The sales department was great, quick and easy installation. But after having it for a while and seeing our bills and the constant fight with DWP the solar co. has been no help. There customer service sucks!!!! They told me to call DWP if I had a problem with the bill. They do not listen or call you back. I really need help with getting thru to them that they are over charging me for the service, it does not cover my bill and I am still getting charged from DWP. I am actually paying more now then before we go solar. So I say it is a rip off I would not do it again. If I could take it off and throw it in the alley I would.

John Stracensky

June 14th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Excellent experience and I was totally impressed with their work.

Michael Leach

June 3rd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Smooth operation, and I was kept informed every step of the way. I am able to save money and help provide renewable energy, without having a huge out-of-pocket expense.

Yfrain Rojo

May 30th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Time of response and communication everytime I call with a question there was always someone to provide you with an answer, currently I have recommended this company to at least 10 people and they are serious about I will show them my resent bill to confirm the information I have provide them.

Vincent Definis

May 28th, 2016 Sewell, NJ

Sunnova uses either the cheapest solar panels or the oldest style with support clips showing above all the tiles. Their local installation company does not know the word Communications company's name is code green they do not return phone calls. The solar panels are not aligned properly the cables between panels are showing on one side. Also I was told local installation company code green that I would be getting panels like my neighbors which are the dark with dark trim and no support clips showing. I feel the panels that were installed on my roof lower the value of my home just from the Aesthetics. I tried to contact go green for 3 weeks no return calls. Contacted sunnova directly and they swear these are the best panels out today. No resolution yet.

Gloria Cryer

May 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Everyone I worked with was professional and kept me informed all the way through the entire process.

Charles Corum

May 18th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Good initial contact by Tyler Mason, and good follow up letting me know when the city inspection and approval by San Diego Gas and Electric were completed. Clean install, and the system is up and running like clockwork.

Theresa Bernardi

May 13th, 2016 Brick, NJ

This has been a year of headaches. From the first day of install there has been one problem after another. First my roof was damaged , along with my kitchen. Then was tarred in multiple locations. From there, the connection issues were nonstop. When trying to contact sunnova multiple times , they finally claimed to put my account on hold till the issues were resolved. After many attepts to get my system running , just recently the system is working properly. However, I have been trying nonstop to get in touch with sunnova to get my account back on track. Today I get one call saying that I have to pay for all the months that the system wasn't working! " It is not their problem" is exactly what was said. I have called this company 134 times (kept track) and not one representative was helpful or even professional! This is one company that I would never recommend.

Theresa Walker

May 9th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

I received excellent sales representation from the first contacts (Jarom Morely and Jose of VISION). They remained in contact with me through the full installation of the solar. Each stage of the installation was a pleasure meeting each person. They were polite and informative. The electrician, inspector, and each technician that addressed my installation was fantastic! Thank you as well.

Chris Judd

May 5th, 2016 Running Springs, CA

Well, after a long, frustrating battle of emails, dealings with numerous customer service reps and having to contact the BBB, Sunnova agreed to lower our monthly premium to offset the underestimated power production vs. our consumption. I don't know why they didn't help us sooner, but we are happy that they finally did.

Lawrence Glover

May 5th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

I was very satisfied with customer service all round, they kept me informed of every step without me having to inquire and the crew who did the installation was very professional.

Mary Yvonne Henry

May 2nd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Besides having to wait on PG&E, the entire process was quick. I have recommended the company to many of my friends and neighbors.

Tom White

April 29th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Excellent customer service and professional installation process.

John Eht

April 21st, 2016 Atlantic City, NJ

It had come to our attention that there are several errors pertaining to the installation of our solar panels on our pole barn roof the most upsetting but certainly not the only one is the fact we now have holes in our roof where, as the sun sets, you can see daylight through. There are also several rail mounts bolts that are splitting thru the roof trusses and not supporting any load. We also don't see how drilling thru a tin roof with nothing behind it creates any stability and creates even more opportunity for the roof to leak. We were assured when this project began that your crew was professional and fully capable of installing the system on this particular type of roof. It is evident this is not the case. To date your company has lost our original contract, we began this process back on July 19th, 2015, run over our landscaping and now this. I understand that a tin roof is not your standard mounting surface but if you were not capable of doing this type of installation you should have declined the job entirely and not put us through this. The building itself is less than 2 years old and its roof life WAS, until your installers put holes in it, expected to be 30 years. Not only have you destroyed our roof warranty, the installation is not even being done to the specs of the building. It was pointed out to your crew and the person who drew up the plans that the loading specs for the roof are incorrect yet you still proceeded to install incorrectly. The trusses are NOT 24” on center they are 48” on center which effects all the roof load calculations so what has been installed is incorrect. We were also told that the supports to the end of the rails would not exceed 16”, a rough estimate is they are over 30”. At this point we are requesting that all work be discontinued and that someone contact us to remedy the damages you have created by poor installation. We expect a new roof, not one with patches, and proper installation by a competent crew. If you cannot find a competent crew who knows how to do an installation on a tin roof properly we are not interested in completing this project with your company and expect a new roof in addition to being released from the contract with no obligation on our part. Installer is Statewide Solar

William Applegate

April 18th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Service was always great! Everyone who I spoke with and all the installers were respectful and polite.

Denise Bonillas

April 15th, 2016 Chico, CA

Everything their sales rep told us was basically false. Told us our True up would be about $300 and it was almost $1300. When we call to talk to them about it they claim that it is our fault that we did not do better research that the salesperson is contracted out and that is not their problem. We changed our payment method and they raised their rate on us and when we call to talk to customer service about it they say someone will call back and no one ever calls back. We calculated our old PGE bill before solar with our new Solar bill, PGE Fees and True up and we are paying more now. FUN!!!! This is a bix hoax and they do not stand behind anything that they represent. My husband is ready to rip it off our roof and higher lawyers!

Patrick Osterman

April 12th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Carter is THE most professional, knowledgeable and pleasant company rep! The whole experience was awesome from start to finish and your customer service department is to be commended, too! Have already recommended your company and will continue to do so! Pat and Sue Osterman

Frank Rodriguez

April 7th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

From beginning to completion, the process went as promised. With Mr T. Jones thorough and outstanding presentation of your product. To the final completion of installation of system, the experience was great.

Noreen Graham

April 5th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Everything from sign up to installation was done quickly and efficiently. Everybody has been very cordial. Our sales rep Randy was a very pleasant man that pushed to get all this done before the rainy season set in.

Chris Judd

February 12th, 2016 Upland, CA

I have been battling with this company for over a year now. They did not deliver as promised. The system they installed did not produce enough electricity to match our consumption as we were told it would by the middle man sales company, United Dollar Power. They just disappeared after we started having problems. Sunnova keeps giving us the runaround and bouncing us from rep to rep. Go somewhere else while you can or seriously consider staying with your conventional power company! My wife and I are now bound to a 25 year contract and fighting them. Because of their misrepresentations and erroneous power calculations, we now are paying 50% more than we were!

Alex

February 11th, 2016 San Diego, CA

One of the worst solar company. There is no customer service. Every bill they over charge me and I placed call after call with no result. Poor quality, poor service. if you want to go solar do your homework and go with another company. This company does not wort your money and time. Stay away. Do not do same mistake I did.

Steve

December 17th, 2015 Woodbine, NJ

I agree the customer service is the worse I've ever experienced. The product has been unreliable, activated 10/19/15 went down 10/22/15 has yet to be restored and it 12/18/15. If you call they promise you a call back that never happens, after a month of calls I sent a email listing all phone calls, who I spoke to and what was said. They answered me the system is working as expected and I need to give it 4 months to see the results. My system was blacked out, which raises the question are they monitoring the system? Bottom line stay away from this company

michele

December 17th, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

The solar is great however the customer service is the worse I have ever been associated with. I have had solar for over a year now and customer service still can not get the name on the account correct. The customer service agents are very nice however every time you call they need to open a new case. I also had a credit they billed me twice I had to prove with bank statements that they over charged me. I received a credit the next month the balance of the credit was gone. Now I'm back on the phone with them getting it corrected again.

Roderick

October 30th, 2015 Carson, CA

Customer service? They don't know the meaning of that. When you call and request a call back, they call and disconnect when you answer and this can go on for sometime. My system has been running for a month with PTO and another month without and I still can't monitor the system online. I have called many, many, many times to get this resolved and it's always the same response, The IT Dept is working on it! They must be pre-school kids. This is not a good start!!

Alex

October 8th, 2015 Springfield, NJ

Knowledgeable sales team, system was installed as discussed within time frame discussed, inspection went well, installation crew was kind and understand their work thoroughly. Customer service was prompt and took messages which was returned. Overall best experience from start to finish.

fcbbob

September 28th, 2015 North Las Vegas, NV

Very poor customer service. Was told 60 days for install. It took 9 months.They claim to monitor the system. System has been installed 2 months. System has not produced the power they said it would. Has been down 3 weeks so far. They claim to monitor system but yet I had to call them to let them know it was not working. The first time it was down two weeks. This time it has been down one week with no response. Run far away from this company.