Since 2012, Sunnova has been providing solar power and energy storage to residents and business owners across the country. The company offers a solar industry-leading 25-year service commitment on all solar panel installations, with an additional 10-year roof warranty. Meanwhile, the Sunnova Adaptive Home solution integrates smart technology into the solar installation by optimizing energy sources for the unique energy needs of the homeowner. The solar service provider offers a number of financing options, but conditions do apply.

#1 SunPower chevron_right
#2 Zenernet chevron_right
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Flexible Payment Options
  • Helpful Moving Options
  • Wide State Availability

Flexible Payment Options

Sunnova offers a number of payment options to help customers lower their dependence on the power grid:

The company's EZ Own option gives homeowners the opportunity to purchase a system without any upfront costs and pay a fixed amount each month for a 25-year term, which is substantially less than the average electric bill. At the end of the term, the customer will own the solar power system.

Sunnova's EZ Pay PPA is another diverse financing option that only requires customers to pay for the energy produced by the system at a flat monthly price. There is also a standard lease option available, during which the customer will essentially be renting the panels from Sunnova.

Helpful Moving Options

If a customer within Sunnova's residential solar market decides to move while under contract, Sunnova offers a number of options: the customer can transfer the service agreement over to the new owner, pre-pay the remainder of the contract and transfer it to the new owner, or move the system to a new address. This is especially beneficial for homeowners who are less permanent.

Wide State Availability

Not only does Sunnova install quality panels, but the solar company also provides backup battery storage in the event of a power outage in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Nevada, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, South Carolina, and Texas.

The company's renewable energy services are also available in the Virgin Islands, which means many consumers have the option to go solar with Sunnova.

The Bad

• Long Contract Terms
  • No Buyout Option for Leases

Long Contract Terms

Sunnova requires a 25-year service agreement, which is higher than the average 20-year agreement employed by most other solar energy companies. While this can still lead toward a path to ownership, longer-termed solar loans are often accompanied by relatively higher interest rates. Customers should get in touch with a Sunnova employee for specific terms and conditions prior to signing a contract.

Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a production guarantee for the PPA option, which can be detrimental if the system isn't producing as much as it should be during the length of the contract.

No Buyout Option For Leases

The company's lease options do not include a buyout option for the Sunnova customer, which creates a disadvantage for those who may need to move while under contract.

The Bottom Line

Sunnova has a simple mission: provide competitive solar solutions across several states and offers a variety of financing options, including cash purchase, a solar lease and PPA. The solar company also provides moving options to help customers establish energy independence.

However, the company's contract terms are longer than industry average. Additionally, Sunnova does not offer a buyout option for leases. If you're still unsure whether this company is right for you, read below for verified Sunnova Solar reviews.

View Best Solar Companies

3.8

Karen Berlin

November 27th, 2017 Northridge, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We decided to go solar when my mom was in the hospital thinking this would lower our electric bill. Now that my mother has passed away and we even have less people in the house I am still paying more than if I was paying DWP which are the worst thieves in the world. How I have 2. If I could I would rip them off and throw them in the trash. Worst decision ever to go solar. Stay with your electric company they are cheaper.

Toni

November 13th, 2017 Bellflower, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had some issues with how I wanted my panels placed. Sunnova went above and beyond to appease me. Before I signed on I spent over 2 hours asking every question I could think of. Even had the rep sit here while I went on line to find questions I might not of thought of. The installers were great. But the Rep (Kay) was the best. Always returned my calls and text asap. Even on the weekends. My actual service just started 3 days ago so I will come back periodically to give my opinion of the actual service. But thus far I strongly recommed them.

Mm

November 10th, 2017 Pico Rivera, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer service. What service Help what help If your system is not working. They don't call. If you need help.maybe in 14 days

Irving Ramirez

November 8th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the worst idea ever to install hurricane maria past through puerto rico had solar panels mostly gone off roof I need to fix now my roof with the damages caused by solar panels and rack where these where at company tells me that I have to pay over five thousand dollars to remove what's left so I can fix the damages or wait until when ever the company has the opportunity to come and do what ever has to be done. In the mean time I have to stay with all the filtering in the roof of my house. Definitely don't and will never ever recommend this product to anyone.

Pamela Pagel

October 18th, 2017 Moreno Valley, CA

After we chose to use this company and we arranged for installation we didn't here from them for about 6 months. I had to call them over and over. They finally said the delay was our fault because we had a structure on our property that was build without a permit. That structure was an above ground, basic spa! Then they took for ever to work out our payment plan and began calling and asking if we were planning to give them the money we would be getting from our task return! They called almost every month. I finally told them no. We are not planning to give it to them. At this point I wish they would take them off our roof so we can start over with another company because we still have to pay Edison money every year because the panels are not producing enough energy for our use. I could go on and on about the promises this company will make to sell but never deliver on them.

Peggy

August 29th, 2017

Poor customer services I have ever experienced. Not able to resolve issue for over 1.5 month since the case was opened. No communications to client and online portal is not updated.

Irene Segovia

August 28th, 2017 Martinez, CA

Had to pay to remove and reinstall system to get a new roof 2750.00. They used 3rd party contractor who is now holding my panels hostage due to non payment by Sunnova. No one at Sunnova calls back and now I am without my system. I have not had system since August 4, 2017 and no resolution in sight...

Sharon Baudour

August 24th, 2017

I was misrepresented about the lease and I believe I was taken advantage of due to my age and disability. I am paying more to my electric company per month sometimes $124.00 or more. My tru up bill was 989.00, therefore, I am now paying double to triple in electric. They want to add additional solar panels which will increase my 116.00 lease payment to Sunnova. I believe I really did not qualify to have solar due to the amount I was paying per month before Sunnova came in. I was paying on the average for 12 months $98.89 per month to my electric company before Sunnova.

Hector Caro

August 22nd, 2017 El Cajon, CA

I went with Sunnova Solar because we were paying a lot for electricity and sales representative said they guarantee savings. Now about 2 1/2 years in and I'm paying about the same overall. I've requested to have them look into what is the reason I'm not saving as much. We had asked to have our system sized a little bigger for future house expansion yet we barely make enough as it is. Sunnova recently had their systems hacked and I no longer feel that my information is safe. I've requested that due to their systems being compromise to let me out of their contract but they refuse. Oddly enough my bank account was recently used by an unauthorized person. There seems to be some noise coming from the area that the solar equipment is located but their tech was unable to hear it. I'll admit that it didn't make the noise when he was here but I advised them it's more noticeable at night. I recommend anyone looking to get their solar system with Sunnova that you look through all the reviews and make a wise choice.

Casey Elliott

August 18th, 2017 Glendora, CA

I was told by the sales rep that the 18 panels on my home would wipe out my electric bill from Edison, it never has. I get a true up bill every year, this past year it was $1400. I have contacted them on numerous occasions only to be told that they system is operating properly and there is nothing they can do as I am under contract. I have a letter from the sales rep stating that based on his design I should not have a Edison bill. Sunnova doesn’t care about their customers, only the bottom line. I have requested additional panels to be installed even though my bill with them would change, they won’t do that unless I sign a new 25 year lease??? Why would I do that when I am already unhappy. I want these panels off of my house or I want additional panels installed, and to make an adjustment to my contract. I will not sign another contract with them as they cant fulfill the promises already made to me. My average Edison bill was $165 a month, now I am spending over $250 a month

renee

July 20th, 2017 Apple Valley, CA

we bought 12/2014 technician who installed main box only connect 1 main wire which caused arcing inside box . we contacted them stating we are getting 50% of what we leased and blackouts daily of course received run around after numerous phone calls and six months later a tech came and informed us that this was high arcing which could have easily caught house on fire. plugged in other wires and said everything is corrected however we wanted them to go through the system but they said nope. three yrs later we still are not getting the amount we were promised ( not even close). they state they will reimburse us after 3yrs for the amount we are owed . And 1 cs rep stated they will send someone out to go thru system still no tech we pay $198 a month and $ 1495 to sce at the end of the year . we also see our SCE bills go up and we are locked in to rate because solar is not producing. WE live in the desert so we have sun 250 days a year!!!!!

Heather Miller

July 13th, 2017

I thought their 3rd party installers were great, professional and they cleaned up any mess that was made.And the communication with the office staff was good also had communication with the owner which is rare he was also very nice.

Deneson Evasco

June 25th, 2017 San Bernardino, CA

NEEDS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT ! ! ! We were guaranteed 7900kw this year but only delivered 5500kw. Apparently, the guaranteed kw was not guaranteed. Figure that out. When I called them, they told me it was a shading issue, which was impossible because they checked our house the day we signed the contract and told us it would recieve "100%" of the sunlight. When asked where the shade is coming from, they were not able to give an answer. We were offered to lower our monthly payment from $136 to apprx $80, but I told them I would rather have them fix it and pay full, but they keep saying that there's nothing wrong with their panels. I asked them if is it going to be like this forever, and she said yes, for now. Meaning were gonna have to pay double for 25 years. We're paying Edison and them. If they only could deliver on there guaranteed kw, we wouldn't have to pay Edison anything. They even have the audacity to tell me that I can't go to court because in the contract that I signed, I agreed that if their system misproduce they can just pay us $0.19 per kw. Yes, I did agree, but this is clearly not a misproducing system. They sold us a faulty 5500kw producing system and lied to us saying it would "guarantee" 7900kw just to sign the contract. this is clearly a fraud from the beggining. If anybody is able to get off this contract, please share. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY ! ! !

Desiree

June 23rd, 2017

I would consider what they do fraud. They sold my 78 year old family member a $75,000 11KW system on a 2,000SF house with 2 people living there and no pool. They made him believe that if he no longer needed the panels they would just come get them, instead he has to pay $37,000 to exit the deal. This is a man that served our country for 45 years and they are going to rob him of his retirement. How do they sleep at night? Scum. They took advantage of him with the number of panels, years of the deal and interest rate.

John Peraino

June 16th, 2017 Collingswood, NJ

Trinity Solar sells all of their leases to Sunnova. When you need service you need to call Sunnova who then notifies trinity Solar to schedule service. There is a lot of unnecessary red tape that you have to deal with.

Kathy H.

June 15th, 2017

I have had nothing but great service with this company! The sales rep was terrific. He was very thorough and professional. I had several companies give estimates and none of the others offered any advice or answered my questions correctly. I was told by 3 other companies that I didn't need to know the information I was asking about! Two of the others didn't even go up on the roof to check things out. One sent a drone! Sunnova checked out all my bills for 12 months with the electric company and got the right estimate for me, gave me the best price and got my bills reduced by more than half. I would strongly recommend this company and have to all who ask about solar. So far 7 of my friends and neighbors have had solar installed by this company and are all quite happy.

shirley deel

June 5th, 2017

I have true up each year besides PGE bill and $122. a mo to Sunnova. The true up is 1500, dollars a year. It is from PGE for electricity used but not covered by solar. It is awful. Isn't there a way out of this ?

Cheryl M

May 8th, 2017 Pomona, CA

What ever they did on my roof...is not right and they could care less. I am paying more now than I did before I got the solar on my roof.

paul sanders

April 6th, 2017 Union, NJ

the worst,.always being told waiting for an update customer service is non existant

Bill

March 28th, 2017 Laguna Niguel, CA

Don't go with Sunnova as a solar provider. They have terrible customer service. I have had two issues with newly installed solar in the first year and I can't even get their customer service people to respond. My solar system is not working and they still require you to make the lease payments even though I am paying a full electric bill. They took 4 weeks to send out a technician. I am currently in the middle of working with them on the second issue with the system in my first year. Three weeks and still waiting for them to call me back. I haven't seen any savings. Wish I had read the reviews before I fell for this scam.

Carolyn Sargent

March 15th, 2017

Sunnova is the most inefficient and worst run company I've ever dealt with!! I've had nothing but Terrible experiences with Sunnova from the start! After a fire consumed my home in early October, 2015, I started calling to have them remove the solar panels. It took 4 months of delays, so finally my building contractor had to do the removal himself. Frustrated, I asked for a quote for how much it would cost to buyout my contract. For 12 MONTHS of frequent calling, I was continuously rerouted to different people in the company. Not one person could give me a straight answer, and many neglected to call me back!! Finally in February, 2017, I got a Demand letter from the company with a billing amount. I sent them a check, and true to form, they've lost it...... Don't expect any service or cooperation from Sunnova.

Joel Lotz

March 12th, 2017 Pomona, CA

My parents ( senior citizens ) wanting to go green and save money on their electric bill were scammed in to a 25 yr agreement. It's their fault ( parents ) for not making sure that what was promised by a slick talking salesman to be on / in the contract. Their electric bill ( except on very rare occasions ) never exceeded 140.00 per month. I know that for a fact because I have seen their records. Salesman told them that they would receive a 'new " breaker panel on their house, due to the current "push button" ancient box currently on the house. Guess what? ... it's still there. They did not deliver and played dumb, "it's not on the contract". Gets better, I noticed that every other set up I see on residential locations has nearly double the panels. My parents electric bill tripled to over 325.00 per month. Not including the 95.00 they pay to the solar company. Panels dont produce even 30% of the power used. Where's the rest of the panels? Father is 86 mother in her 70's this company burned my parents. They have had the system over three years and have not seen or heard a word form anyone. They are aware of their wrongdoings and have not lifted a finger.... Now I'm stepping in to resolve this, I'm their son, I'm educated, and I'm going to see to it this is resolved or they will wish they never did this in the first place........ who scams seniors? who does that.

Danielle

January 24th, 2017 Beverly Hills, CA

Sunnova will not support you. We are going on 4 weeks of leaks in our house because of solar panels that were installed 2 years ago. The contract for panels is a 30 year contract, and we are in the infantile years of this contract. My expectation was that when we informed Sunnova on New Year's Day of the multiple leaks in the garage that they would uphold their commitment that is promised in the contract to follow up with us in 24 hours. Instead we are now up to a dozen new leaks. If you choose to commit to Sunnova please be aware that you will: Have to chase them down to reply to you They will take the least expensive approach to every solution, even if that means ultimately repairing the same issue will end up costing them 5x more since it has never been done correctly. The contract between you and Sunnova, goes through great lengths to protect them, but not yourself or your home. You will have to hire lawyers to ensure your rights are protected. The good news is, there is room for a lawyer to fight for you. Read carefully: the ‘warrantee' on your roof from Sunnova only covers a portion of the length of time these panels are on your roof. The same ‘warrantee' does not really provide you with all of the comforts your typical roof warrantee provides you with. Sunnova is not based in the North East. They literally have no idea what is happening at your home. They do not provide you with 1. Answers or 2. Compassion. The amazon rainforest has been in my house new year to date. Sunnova's scripted reply of “we are so sorry, we will get that fixed right away” is obviously a false statement.

Marty Bennett

January 22nd, 2017

By Far the most comprehensive warranty for a purchase on the market. Nothing else comes close and their loan doesnt show up on my credit report. Im not impressed by standard purchases or leases, but their EZ Own program is the best program in solar hands down.

Sunnova Logo

Reply from Sunnova

Nov 04, 2019

Hello Marty, thank you for your positive feedback and welcome to the Sunnova Family!^MO

Richard Miranda

January 11th, 2017

I'm just beside myself. I no longer have any confidence in the decision I made to go solar. I must have my head examined for agreeing to pay $157.00 a month for this crap. So far, I cannot say I have seen any savings. In fact, the four months of summer electric bills were even higher than last year. Over all, between the solar billing and the electric bill, I'm losing my shirt. I've called Sunnova and Atlantic Electric only to be told some confusing explanation. I've just received my December electric bill and it was just about the same as last year when I didn't have solar. What am I saving????

Bettie Green

January 5th, 2017 Arrey, NM

Don't get involved with Sunnova. Their so-called lease program is nothing but a scam. They end up receiving all the tax benefits and all you end up with is a monthly bill which goes up every year, while the panels are depreciating. Do yourself and look elsewhere. What this company REALLY needs is a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for fraudulent business practices. Contact your Attorney General about Sunnova.

Rose Gibson

October 24th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

It was an extremely easy install. Communication was great. Very happy with the service and the design of the system. You can't even tell I have solar. Panels are on back of house and the switchover was seamless.

Jose Tineo

October 20th, 2016 Bronx, NY

The worst don't want to cancel give you a hassle want to penalize you and take you to court. Also they take longer than any other company...Very bad customer service....BEWARE...

James Hickey Jr

October 19th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Everything was done following the schedule that was set and the installers were neat and careful with my house and grounds. Sunnova was constantly checking and informing me of the next steps.

Kevin McElveny

October 14th, 2016 Ione, CA

The worst customer service I have ever encountered. No that is not fair for me to give this review sun ova would have had to do something to deserve this review. There is the problem I have been trying to get my solar repaired for over three weeks now. I have never had a call back from anyone I have been told my case has been excluded! Hindsight is 20/20 I would have never done business with this company. They are getting their money every month on time I'm just trying to get what I am paying for. If I could give a lower score I would.

Robert DiPietro

October 12th, 2016 Sewell, NJ

I've been mislead buy this company from the start My average electric bill was $145 before solar and they State my bill with solar would be $98 per month and I would save around $50 a month They never told me I would still get a bill from the electric company Before solar my electric bill was averaging $200 for the three summer months Now with solar I'm paying the $98 to Sunnova and $90 to electric company for an average of $189 so I'm saving $11 and I got this crap on my roof I've been calling them for 4 months and getting nothing but a big run around !

les greenough

October 12th, 2016 Sierra Vista, AZ

Solar system has not functioned for approximately two months. Electric bill has continued to increase while Sunnova continues to collect lease payments which means that I end up paying more than if I didn't have a solar system!! Lease payments plus electric bill. Continued contact with CUSTOMER SERVICE provides NO RESULTS. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY!!

Julio Abislaiman

October 11th, 2016

This company has absolutely no customer service. For close to three months I have been complaining about my systems performance and the only actions I see from Sunnova is their collection department calling me to collect. They are the worst.

David Weger

October 3rd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The installation crew was very professional and organized!

James Kemp

September 21st, 2016 San Francisco, CA

What was stated from the onset became a reality. Our first prorated monthly bill arrived and it showed a mark difference as was promised.

Harry Carney

September 17th, 2016 Glassboro, NJ

My system was installed and turned on 4/17/16 have been very happy with everyone and the performance. Was installed by Code Green Solar of New Jersey

WIlliam Keyes

September 15th, 2016 Folsom, CA

Buyer beware. Sales associate will say that its easy to transfer the lease to a new owner even if its a company buyout which is not supported by their inflexible management. They are in this strictly for the money are not flexible at all for the customer.

James Thornton

September 13th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The system is operating well, producing more electricity than we use. Very happy.

Keith Swindell

September 11th, 2016 El Dorado, CA

Constant incorrect billing, bad customer service, no one EVER answers the phone, or returns email requests.

Richard Wu

September 4th, 2016 Cerritos, CA

After one year of complaints, and shutting down the system and stopped paying them. They finally sent a technician to inspect the system. However they still don't want to fix the problem as recommended by their own technician. None of the customer support knows how to calculate optimal wattage of a system or total consumption of a household. I had to do the search. Worst company ever. Would give them -10 if I can

Jim

September 2nd, 2016 UT

We are charged $300 more per year than if we did not have a solar unit on the house. I am not saving any money. They say that their rates do not go that low for the area we are in. Also, it did not add value to the house. After trying to sell it, nobody wants to pay extra for it. We are stuck with a lemon!!!

Michael Perez

August 30th, 2016

This company is the worst service had the panel install over a year and only work about 1-2 month and still haven't fix it call after call and all I get a BS over the phone I would never get this company again the worst

Tony Capasso

August 15th, 2016 Runnemede, NJ

not good service at all. had to wait almost one year before it was turn on. then it was turned on in the summer months, and received a high electric bill along with the lease bill. They never said I would receive a large bill from the electric company For them to be rated where they are it is to high.

Linda Bretton

August 8th, 2016 Lake Elsinore, CA

Company will not listen to my complaint that the system is under performing, will not send anyone out to check it out. In addition I have tried for 8 months to get a pay-off figure from them, since I have a lease to purchase, not a PPA. Would NEVER sign a contract with them again. They were recommended by the company that did the installation. That company is no longer recommending them because of their poor customer service.

Barry Karen

July 29th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Installer team took care of everything. No problem. They knew more about my house then I did.

Susyn Morales

July 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

EVERYTHING was well communicated and explained. Every step, every move. My install team was so awesome. They communicated well and were thorough, polite and cleaned everything up so it was better than when they arrived each morning. Top notch all the way around.

VUONG NGUYEN

July 12th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Great Service and Installation Team...Really fast and professional. Passed city final inspection at the first short. So Impressed. I am also general contractor and I am very happy to have you as our solar support. Will refer to my friends and Clients. Keep great work...

Karen Berlin

July 7th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

We have had the system on our roof for one year now. The sales department was great, quick and easy installation. But after having it for a while and seeing our bills and the constant fight with DWP the solar co. has been no help. There customer service sucks!!!! They told me to call DWP if I had a problem with the bill. They do not listen or call you back. I really need help with getting thru to them that they are over charging me for the service, it does not cover my bill and I am still getting charged from DWP. I am actually paying more now then before we go solar. So I say it is a rip off I would not do it again. If I could take it off and throw it in the alley I would.

John Stracensky

June 14th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Excellent experience and I was totally impressed with their work.

Michael Leach

June 3rd, 2016 San Francisco, CA

Smooth operation, and I was kept informed every step of the way. I am able to save money and help provide renewable energy, without having a huge out-of-pocket expense.