solarhome2sungevity

Founded in California in 2006 by three men with a vision to “generate positive”‘ through solar power, Sungevity has been providing a top-notch experience for consumers wanting to use clean energy for their homes. Sungevity received its accreditation from the BBB in 2008 and currently has an A+. It offers solar power solutions for customers in 12 states from California to Washington D.C. Sungevity offers consumers some of the most flexible payment options in the industry, including three different leased-based options and one outright purchase option. Sungevity has partnered with Empowered by Light to donate solar-powered light or cell phone charger kits to children in Zambia whenever a solar system from Sungevity is installed.

Rank Chart
8.4
#3
sungevity
8.4

The Good

$0 to Little Up-front Costs

Sungevity is our #1 choice for homeowners to go solar. One of the best features we like from Sungevity is their $0 to little up-front costs. With Sungevity’s Loan, Lease, or PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) payment options you could go solar for nothing down. A common misconception with solar installations is that it costs an arm and a leg to get started but Sungevity has made getting solar panels for your home more affordable than ever. Not only could you be saving tons of money with Sungevity but you’ll be able to brag to your neighbors about how conservation minded you are. If you are looking for the plan with the most savings then buying your system outright will be your best option. You will have to pay for your system up-front but the amount you could potentially be saving with solar will eventually pay for the system itself and more.

Buying your system outright is the only option that won’t require a contract. If you decide to acquire your solar system with a loan, lease, or PPA then you can expect to be on a contract with Sungevity for 20 years. However, with a loan, there are no pre-payment penalties and each one of these options comes with 24/7 monitoring and a 20-year warranty.

Here are some noteworthy reasons why you should be considering Sungevity to go solar:

• OurSungevity App
  • Impressive Customer Service
  • iQuote Tool
  • $0 to little down up-front costs
OurSungevity App

Whether you have an android or an iOS smartphone, or a tablet, OurSungevity lets you track how much energy your panels are producing and how much power you are using, on the go. Not only does OurSungevity let you monitor your panels but you can refer friends and family in your cause for saving the world and earn rewards. Also, any of your customer service needs will be a thumb swipe away.

Outstanding Customer Service

Don’t take our word for it but customers of Sungevity are thrilled about their experience with Sungevity.

Moving Options

While the 20-year contract for leased systems comes with a 20-year warranty, Sungevity is very aware that circumstances change and clients may need to move before those 20 years are up. Sungevity offers a few options for clients who are moving before the contract terms have expired:

• Assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner
  • Prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations the new homeowner
  • Purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system
iQuote Tool

Sungevity’s iQuote Tool is leading the way to get you a quote as fast as possible. Most importantly, you will be able to see how much you’re going to save with each payment option. By answering a few questions over the phone with a Sungevity rep, the iQuote Tool can view your home’s roof, track the amount of sun hits your home, and give you an accurate picture of how your panels will look and work.

The Bad

While Sungevity is setting the standard for solar providers everywhere, there are some things to be cautious of:

• Limited warranty compared to competitors
  • Lack of equipment information on their site
  • Complaints listed on the BBB and our site
  • Less state availability than other solar providers
Limited Warranty

Even though Sungevity offers a 20-year warranty which is considered to be on the higher end in the solar industry, there are some competing solar companies that offer a 30-year warranty. A 30-year warranty will often last longer than the life of the solar panel system while a 20-year warranty may not necessarily do the same.

Lack of Site Info

The biggest critique of Sungevity is the lack of system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component, such as the solar converter, is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found (customers and potential customers will likely have to visit a dealer website for this information). Sungevity’s FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company can offer. The company also lacks a live chat option, which would provide quick and easy access to important company information. Customers would also benefit from having access to an example contract, as knowing what specific terms are associated with the installation would help them make a better decision in going solar.

Customer Complaints

In the last three years, 13 complaints have been filed against Sungevity with the Better Business Bureau. As with any customer-oriented businesses, complaints like these are to be expected; however, each of these complaints has been handled by Sungevity, and all are currently closed. No person or company is perfect and there are some negative reviews that have been posted on our site as well.

Limited Reach

Finally, Sungevity is available in 12 states, which is considered the top end of the industry. But it would still be nice to see them expand into a few more states to give more customers the opportunity to go solar!

The Bottom Line

Sungevity is a company that is revolutionizing the industry and setting the standard for what solar providers should offer. Here is a quick recap on the good features:

• $0 to little up-front costs: Sungevity allows you to go solar for $0 to little down with their loan, lease, or PPA (Purchase Power Agreement).
  • OurSungevity: You will be able to monitor your system’s production and home’s usage from a tablet or smartphone at home or on the go.
  • Top Notch Customer Service: Customers that have left reviews on our site are ecstatic with Sungevity’s customer service.
  • iQuote Tool: You will get an accurate picture of how much going solar with Sungevity is going to cost you without even getting a visit to your home.
  • Multiple Payment Options with a 20-Year System Warranty: Sungevity offers four different payment options to help you get started with solar. Each lease type option features a generous 20-year warranty and 24/7 monitoring and repair, as well as performance guarantees.

Some opportunities for Sungevity to improve its service include the following:

• Increase communication between Sungevity and subcontractors.
  • Provide more detailed information on Sungevity’s technology on the website.
  • Expand the FAQ on the website.
  • Increase the number of years for their system warranty.
  • Increase state availability.

There is always room to grow, but Sungevity really stands apart in the solar industry. It makes customer service a top priority and are consistently disrupting the industry by adding their proprietary tools. Overall, Sungevity is a superb company that is highly recommended for your solar needs.

Payment Options

Sungevity is emerging as one of the top home solar companies in the industry. The company offers every kind of payment option a consumer could want and makes it easy for those who qualify to go solar. Sungevity offers four different payment options:

• An Outright Purchasing Option
  • A Solar Loan
  • A Solar Lease
  • PPA (Power Purchase Agreement)
Outright Purchase

Sungevity’s purchase option allows customers to own the system themselves. There are no third parties involved, removing any kind of monthly solar payments. Your system comes with a 20-year warranty as well as 24/7 monitoring when you purchase it through Sungevity. Benefits of owning your solar panel system include receiving the 30% federal tax credit, any additional state tax credits, and an increase to your home’s value when you’re ready to sell.

Solar Loan

You can finance your system purchase through a loan with Sungevity. You will own the system, receiving all the benefits mentioned above, and will pay off your loan through monthly payments like any other loan. Through Sungevity’s vast network of lenders, you’ll be sure to find a reasonable interest rate to match your qualifications and unique situation. And since the terms of the solar loan imply ownership of the solar panel system, you will be able to receive the 30% federal tax credit as well as any state tax credits. This option also includes 24/7 monitoring and a 20-year system warranty.

Solar Lease

Sungevity also has a lease available if that is your preferred method of payment. You won’t own the system, but there are benefits that come with signing a lease including a potentially lower power bill than what you were paying before, a system performance guarantee for 20 years, and options to help you transfer the lease if you decide to move.

PPA (Power Purchase Agreement)

With a PPA from Sungevity, a third party will own the system but you will only have to pay for the electricity you use at a set rate. The PPA protects you from any kind of rate hikes, and if you move, Sungevity will help you transfer the agreement to the new homeowner. Since you wouldn’t be owning the system, the partner working with Sungevity will install and maintain the system on your roof. With its variety of purchasing and leasing options, Sungevity is doing everything possible to make solar energy more accessible and affordable than ever.

Payment Options Breakdown

Purchase

Loan

• You own the system
  • Monitoring of your system 24/7
  • Receive your 30% federal tax credit
  • 20-year system warranty
  • Monthly payments till the loan is paid off
  • Typically less than electric bills
  • 20-year system warranty
  • 24/7 monitoring

Lease

PPA

• Guaranteed performance for 20 years
  • Easy transfer of lease if you sell your home
  • Small upfront cost and monthly payments
  • Potential to be less than your electric bill
  • Pay for the electricity you use
  • Lock in a fixed rate
  • You won’t own the system
  • Easy transfer of PPA if you sell your home

Requirements: In order to go solar through Sungevity, all potential customers must meet the following criteria:

• Reside in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington D.C., Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vermont.
  • Sungevity DOES NOT service every state in the U.S. including the following states: Arizona, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Washington.

Sungevity-Availability-Map-2.0

iQuote Tool

Sungevity offers a unique feature known as the iQuote tool. After consulting with the customer, the company uses a proprietary design tool to design and engineer a solar solution for the customer’s home. The iQuote tool generates all the paperwork (including the important legal notice allowing the company to proceed with the installation) automatically. As completing the necessary paperwork on time is one area in which other solar providers commonly fail (clients can often find themselves with a system that has been installed, but not yet activated), Sungevity’s iQuote tool is a true game-changer.

Sungevity Solar Equipment

our-sungevitySungevity uses their online monitoring system OurSungevity so that users can constantly monitor the performance of their home solar system. OurSungevity has been rated the best app by consumers with an average score of 4/5 stars on Google Play and the Apple Store. OurSungevity allows you to check out the solar system’s output, carbon savings, and other electricity related production. From OurSungevity, you can also share solar with your friends and help them see the benefits of solar savings.

Another benefit of OurSungevity is that you can monitor the status, output, and savings anywhere at any time from a computer, tablet, or smartphone. OurSungevity even lets you track your installation process by monitoring the 6 steps of installation online.

Inside OurSungevity, you can find tabs that shed more details on performance, your system, environmental impact, documents, and detailed reports. OurSungevity truly lets you monitor how well your home solar system is performing. Also, any of your customer service needs will be a finger swipe away.

Sungevity Installers

Sungevity is known for its high-quality dealers. Local installers working for Sungevity undergo an extensive application process and are required to pass multiple quality assurance checks with high marks. Each Sungevity installation goes through two quality assurance checks: first, a regional representative certifies that the design meets standards; second, a district manager certifies the regional representative’s work. This thorough two-step QA process is unique in the industry and goes a long way to ensuring that each of Sungevity’s solar panel systems is installed correctly and safely.

One of the unique customer experiences associated with Sungevity is the custom installation process. Sungevity’s expert installation team will create a custom design for each home., providing panels that rank high for efficiency, quality, and blendability with any home’s roof. Each system will also feature industrial-grade railing, simple assembly, integrated grounding with UL 2703 systems, PE Certification, design software for quote preparation, and a 20-year warranty.

Are there any inaccuracies in this review? We take accuracy very seriously and would love your feedback. Visit our Request Reconsideration page and send us your feedback today!

53 Sungevity Reviews

Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

* For verification purposes, please provide the email address you used when signing up with this company.

1. User Score
    January 30th, 2016
    1 people found this review helpful!
    My major problem with Sungevity is their lack of familiarity with the regulatory process in New York and their failure to provide crucial information I need to obtain my real estate tax abatement and income tax credits bnoth federal and State. They have not sent me any data tohelp my accountant complete these forms. Also the tax abatement form requires a signature from an architect. I do not understand this notr am I prepared to pay an architect to to look at my system and sign off on this. They have never been transparent about the requirements to get these credits and I am about ready to to lose my temper with them. My installation had its final inspection in August, 2015 and works fine. I purchased it and am counting oj these credits to offset the moneys I paid from my retirement funds.
  2. User Score
    January 5th, 2016
    21 people found this review helpful!
    We signed up with Sungevity back in May 2015. The install process took months longer than promised, although they did send us a check for the amount of electric we used to make up for it. However, after the install we’ve had nothing but issues and their customer support is literally non-existent. I’ve called and called, I’ve left emails, .. they were supposed to send a tech out on November 6th, its now January 5th! When I call, I get the run around and NO ONE calls me back. We are in the process of working with the NJ State Dept of Consumer Protection, that’s how bad it is. I would NEVER recommend Sungevity to anyone.
  3. User Score
    November 22nd, 2015
    3 people found this review helpful!
    i LOVED the people at Sungevity who i worked with. Sadly i was in the process of getting the solar roof when i realized would not be able to keep the home due to the sharp downturn in the economy. It was a very sad day when i told them we would have to halt the process. Now i have a new home that is a keeper and would love it if Sungevity could come way out to the sticks were i live. But have a new roof that i am sure the warrantly will be voided by if i put solar on the roof so would need to put it else where on my acre of land. Honestly i am so good at conservation my electricity bill has not been over $20 a month since i got the new roof, so this might not be a good financial move for me, it would be strictly because i love the earth and because i know the cost of energy can do nothing but go up.
  4. User Score
    November 13th, 2015
    9 people found this review helpful!
    Sungecity handles everything. I met a guy at Lowes got a quote that in 2 months I was paying $32 a month for electricity. Best company I have ever done business with. They actually are paying my heritage tax that my town has for solar because my taxes were not supposed to go up. I called one time got an american and the situation was resolved.
  5. User Score
    November 13th, 2015
    6 people found this review helpful!
    The best…customer support, install techs, project engineers, true to their word.
  6. User Score
    November 11th, 2015
    8 people found this review helpful!
    After deciding that I wanted to purchase solar panels, I first contacted Solar City. My experience with them was terrible! They were constantly requesting more and more paperwork..most of which was related to PPA’s and not applicable in my case. This dragged on for months after which I cancelled my contract with them and contacted Sungevity. From start to finish they were friendly, receptive to my questions, and very professional. I highly recommend them to anyone.
  7. User Score
    November 6th, 2015
    19 people found this review helpful!
    Signed up with Sungevity back in May of 2015. First off, the entire process took months longer than they promised. 2 of ”my reps” there (I won”t mention names) have been the rudest people I have ever dealt with. They are also very unreliable. We had several issues with the system so far and the 2 reps have gotten rude with me over the phone and now they don”t even return phone calls or emails. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. Once you sign up, their customer service becomes non existent. Now most of the time when I call, it rings forever and then goes to an answering machine. This company is not as big as they say they are, and they are no where as reliable as they come off to be. If I had the choice, I would cancel the whole deal and go with another company. Shame on Sungevity!
  8. User Score
    November 2nd, 2015
    20 people found this review helpful!
    I’d like to share my experience with Sungevity. Last December my 22 panel system came online with a guaranteed annual output of 6157 kWhs. So far, by the end of October I generated 6040 kWhs with a little over a month left before my yearly anniversary. So I should exceed the guaranteed production. This is in spite of heavy snows this past winter which covered my panels for the month of February.

I opted to pay my 20 year lease upfront for $7852. New York State gave me a 25% tax credit for last year, since I paid that full amount up front. This reduced my total cost to about $6000. Sungevity will maintain my system for the 20 year lease and I now have no payments to make. All the electricity I generate is free for me to use or send to my electric provider for future use.

At the anniversary of coming online, my electric company, Central Hudson, will reconcile my account and pay me some low rate (I understand around 3 cents per kWh) for any excess electricity which I provided. In my case, the panels came online in December just before a period with the lowest solar electric generation and the highest electricity use. (I have electric heat.) So my winter electricity bills were high. In the Spring and Summer months my net electric use was 0 so I just paid the minimum service charge and have a huge surplus credit. Will that credit be applied to the winter bills that I already paid? The answer is no. So having an anniversary date in December is very bad. It would be better to have the anniversary date in the Spring, and build up electric energy credit which would be applied during the following winter to offset my bills at the retail electric rate at that time.

The good news is that Central Hudson allows me to make a one time anniversary date change. I sent in a form changing my bill reconciliation date to March. So instead of being paid about 3 cents per kWh for the excess electric power I generated, I can keep that excess and use it to reduce my bills during the winter months. Probably by March I won’t have any excess left and it will all have been used up to offset my usage during the winter.

My experience with Sungevity so far has been positive. There were no problems with installation which was done in one day. I used a referral to reduce my cost by $1000, reflected in the numbers given above. I also should be receiving some referral money from some customers who had panels installed by Sungevity.and used my referral code. The amount a customer receives off their system installation varies at different times from $500 to $1000. I think the amount now is $750. You are welcome to use my referral code #1013253 to receive an installation discount.

I hope this description has been informative and helpful.
    Gerry

9. User Score
    October 7th, 2015
    18 people found this review helpful!
    They were on time for every appointment, accurate with their design and estimates, and now the panels are working perfectly. We are saving $ and getting power from the sun. Couldn’t have been any simpler or a better process.
  10. User Score
    October 7th, 2015
    19 people found this review helpful!
    I have had my Sungevity system since 2007 and I couldn’t be happier. Still cranking out pure green electricity. Maintenance is minimal and I love logging into my monitoring portal to see the stats.
  11. User Score
    September 25th, 2015
    17 people found this review helpful!
    First, Sungevity tells me I can cancel the agreement before installation, but when I find out the other solar company seems a better fit for me and I want to sign up with the other company, they are reluctant to cancel the agreement. So they lied to me.
    Second, they try to show me what kind of mouthing system they use on the roof, but I don’t really have time to go over this detail with them because their contract doesn’t offer a longer period of warranty as others. So this is wasting my time. Why don’t they cancel the agreement right away if I already make up my mind?
    I hope this experience may help other people who want to go solar.
  12. User Score
    August 25th, 2015
    12 people found this review helpful!
    Very easy to work with and efficient staff.
  13. User Score
    August 23rd, 2015
    15 people found this review helpful!
    Sungevity Solar is saving us tons of money that had been going to the electric company. Now, it is not only paying for itself but putting money in our pockets. The company does what it says it will do and makes good on its commitment to its customers. I highly recommend Sungevity.
  14. User Score
    August 21st, 2015
    9 people found this review helpful!
    They measured, installed and had it inspected, and we have had the lowest electric bills ever.
  15. User Score
    August 9th, 2015
    10 people found this review helpful!
    Great job excellent experience and quality installation
  16. User Score
    August 8th, 2015
    16 people found this review helpful!
    Easy to deal with. Very professional. Follows up to ensure client is happy. Great installers. Great pricing.
  17. User Score
    August 5th, 2015
    14 people found this review helpful!
    going on my first year with Sungevity best thing i ever did
  18. User Score
    July 31st, 2015
    11 people found this review helpful!
    The company is amazing in every way!
  19. User Score
    July 31st, 2015
    12 people found this review helpful!
    Excellent company and we are very happy with our solar. Good customer service by all of the staff. I have recommended them several times now.
  20. User Score
    July 27th, 2015
    39 people found this review helpful!
    We had our system installed last fall. Sales was very informative,low pressure. Answered all questions and provided lots of info.Very courteous.
    The system is well designed. Leak free mounting hardware.
    Production especially during Spring and Summer months is really looking good.
    I had just one complaint. After installing the system it takes a very long time to get thru the inspection process.No fault of Sungevity. But I was not getting info on progress of the inspections AKA when They would be occurring. I contacted the company and was kept well up to date from that point on.
    I Would recommend this company to others and do . I also spread the word via facebook.