This company doesn't currently service Virginia

Change your location, or find companies in your state

With so many solar companies out there, it can be difficult to know which one provides the most value for you as a consumer. That’s why we’ve done the hard research—so you don’t have to. We’ve weighed the pros and the cons and found Solar Spectrum to be one of the top competitors in the industry.

Prior to April 2017, Solar Spectrum operated under the name Sungevity.

The Good

• Financing options
  • iQuote tool
  • Mobile app
  • Customer service

Financing Options for Every Customer

Solar Spectrum offers several solar financing options, which means that obtaining a home solar system through Solar Spectrum is possible for customers of all budgets. With Solar Spectrum’s loan, lease, and PPA payment options, customers can go solar for zero to little down. Each of these options comes with 24/7 system monitoring, a 25-year manufacturer warranty on the panels, and a 20-year system warranty that encompasses the inverter and workmanship. For customers who are looking for the plan with the most long-term savings, buying the system outright would probably the best option. Customers will pay for the system upfront, but they will own the system and reap the long-term rewards.

iQuote Tool Provides Personalized Solar Quote

Solar Spectrum’s iQuote tool allows customers to get a personalized quote quickly. After answering a few questions over the phone with a Solar Spectrum rep, the iQuote tool can view the roof of the customer’s home, track the amount of sunlight that hits their home, and give them an accurate picture of how their panels will look and function. iQuote can also show customers how much they are going to save with each payment option.

Anytime, Anywhere System Monitoring with Solar Spectrum App

With the Solar Spectrum mobile app, customers have information about their solar system at their fingertips. Whether customers have an Android or an iOS device, the Solar Spectrum app allows them to track how much energy their panels are producing and how much power they are using from anywhere in the world. In addition to giving customers the ability to monitor their system, the Solar Spectrtum app lets users contact customer service and earn rewards by referring friends and family through the app.

Top Notch Customer Service

Solar Spectrum has received a large amount of positive reviews on our site regarding its customer service. Consumers are saying that Solar Spectrum’s customer service team is professional, helpful, and quick to reply to questions and requests. Solar Spectrum also offers helpful options for clients who need to move before the contract terms have expired, including assigning the energy plan to the new homeowner; prepaying the remaining payments and assigning the non-financial obligations to the new homeowner; and purchasing the remaining time on the lease, terminating the lease, and asking the company to remove the system.

Interested in going solar? Click Here

The Bad

• Limited online information
  • Availability

Lack of Site Information

Solar Spectrum has a lack of solar system information available on its website. While a basic explanation of each system component is provided, more technical specifications of the system are nowhere to be found. Solar Spectrum’s FAQ section is sparse and does little to fully educate consumers on the value the company can offer. Solar Spectrum’s website lacks a live chat option, which could provide quick and easy access to important company information.

Limited Reach

Solar Spectrum is currently only available in 12 states, which limits the number of customers who have the opportunity to go solar with Solar Spectrum.

The Bottom Line

Solar Spectrum is a highly recommended option for consumers who are considering a home solar system to look into. Although Solar Spectrum is not available in every state and has a limited amount of information regarding equipment on its site, its multiple financing options, proprietary iQuote tool, insightful Solar Spectrum app, and top notch customer service are hard to beat.

Interested in going solar? Click Here

State Availability

Solar Spectrum is available in the following states:
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vermont

Payment Options

Solar Spectrum is emerging as one of the top home solar companies in the industry. The company offers every kind of payment option a consumer could want and makes it easy for those who qualify to go solar. Solar Spectrum offers four different payment options:

• An outright purchase
  • A solar loan
  • A solar lease
  • A PPA (Power Purchase Agreement)
Outright Purchase

Solar Spectrum’s purchase option allows customers to own the system themselves. There are no third parties involved, removing any kind of monthly solar payments. The system comes with a 25-year warranty, as well as 24/7 monitoring when customers purchase it through Solar Spectrum. Benefits of owning your solar panel system include receiving the 30 percent federal tax credit, any additional state tax credits, and an increase to your home’s value when you’re ready to sell.

Solar Loan

Customers can finance their system purchase through a loan with Solar Spectrum. The customer will own the system and receive all the benefits mentioned above, but will pay their loan off through monthly payments. Because Solar Spectrum has a vast network of lenders, customers will be sure to find a reasonable interest rate that matches their qualifications and unique situation. And, since the terms of the solar loan imply ownership of the solar panel system, customers will be able to receive the 30 percent federal tax credit as well as any state tax credits. This option also includes 24/7 monitoring and a 25-year system warranty.

Solar Lease

Solar Spectrum also has a lease available if that is the customer’s preferred method of financing. The customer won’t own the system, but there are benefits that come with signing a lease, including a potentially lowered power bill, a 20-year system performance guarantee, and options to help customers transfer the lease if they decide to move.

PPA (Power Purchase Agreement)

With a PPA from Solar Spectrum, a third party will own the system and the customer will only have to pay for the electricity they use at a set rate. The PPA option protects customers from rate hikes. If a customer decides to move, Solar Spectrum will help transfer the agreement to the new homeowner. Because the customer does not own the system, the partner working with Solar Spectrum will install and maintain the system. With its variety of purchasing and leasing options, Solar Spectrum is striving to make solar energy more accessible and affordable than ever for consumers.

Payment Options Breakdown

Purchase

Loan

• You own the system
  • Monitoring of your system 24/7
  • Receive your 30% federal tax credit
  • 25-year system warranty
  • Monthly payments till the loan is paid off
  • Typically less than electric bills
  • 25-year system warranty
  • 24/7 monitoring

Lease

PPA

• Guaranteed performance for 20 years
  • Easy transfer of lease if you sell your home
  • Small upfront cost and monthly payments
  • Potential to be less expensive than your electric bill
  • Pay for the electricity you use
  • Lock in a fixed rate
  • You won’t own the system
  • Easy transfer of PPA if you sell your home

iQuote Tool

Solar Spectrum offers a unique feature known as the iQuote tool. After consulting with the customer, the company uses a proprietary design tool to draft and engineer a personalized solar solution for the customer’s home. The iQuote tool generates all paperwork (including the important legal notice allowing the company to proceed with the installation) automatically. Because completing the necessary paperwork on time is one area in which other solar providers commonly fail (clients often find themselves with a system that has been installed, but not yet activated), Solar Spectrum’s iQuote tool is a true game-changer.

Solar Spectrum Solar Equipment

our-sungevitySolar Spectrum’s online monitoring system via their app, allows users to constantly monitor the performance of their home solar system by checking their system’s output, carbon savings, and other electricity related production. Solar Spectrum’s app even lets customers track their installation process by monitoring the 6 steps of installation online. With Solar Spectrum’s app, customers can monitor their solar system anytime, anywhere using a computer, tablet, or smartphone. In fact, with an average score of 4/5 stars on Google Play and on the Apple Store, the Solar Spectrum app has the highest mobile app ratings out of any solar company.

Solar Spectrum Installers

Solar Spectrum is known for its high-quality dealers. Local installers must undergo an extensive application process and are required to pass two quality assurance checks with top marks in order to work for Solar Spectrum. The quality assurance checks are as follows: first, a regional representative certifies that the design meets standards. Second, a district manager certifies the regional representative’s work. This thorough two-step QA process is unique in the industry and goes a long way to ensuring that each of Solar Spectrum’s solar panel systems is installed correctly and safely.

One of the unique customer experiences associated with Solar Spectrum is the custom installation process. Solar Spectrum’s expert installation team creates a custom design for each home and provides panels that rank high for efficiency, quality, and blendability with the roof of the home. In addition, all systems feature industrial-grade railing, simple assembly, integrated grounding with UL 2703 systems, PE certification, design software for quote preparation, and a 20-year warranty.

X close
X close

Call our recommended rep over at Solar Spectrum below.

Or you can visit their site by clicking here.

385 Solar Spectrum Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

May 19th, 2017 Canyon Country, CA

Don’t trust them. They just announced, they will not honor warranty from Sungevity. They can do that to you also in short time!

6 1

2. User Score

May 18th, 2017 Gilroy, CA

I have been trying to refinance my home,but because of Lien on the home for Solar equipment and the bankruptcy of sungevity that is supposedly solar spectrum and or Kina ole capital and not able to get anyone to call back from any of these companies. They say leave a message and will get right back to you! Bullshit!!! I cannot get a clean title so I am being held hostage to these companies!
    It is costing me extra money for everyday I can’t complete my refinance that I have approval for except for this title deal!

4 1

3. User Score

May 16th, 2017 Bay Shore, NY

They called in less than a minute then cancelled one quote appt. after another and promised to call after each one but never did. I had to call them and the rep. said they lost their leasing company but would have another last week. Here we are in another week and no call and no contact. If I am having this much trouble BEFORE they get a contract and money I can’t imagine what will happen after they have a signed contract.

8 1

4. User Score

May 10th, 2017

This is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with. This company bought Sungevity, INC out of bankruptcy. I was supposed to get a system with Sungevity then they went bankrupt. This stupid company sent me a bankruptcy notice stating that they wouldn’t honor my warranty while I was waiting for my system to be installed. when I received the letter I called them a million times and got no response. I cancelled my project, then 5 weeks later they called me to see if I wanted to install. After two months of literally no callbacks and a letter in the mail stating they don’t honor warranties.
    What a complete joke. stay away from them!!!!!!!!

11 3

5. User Score

May 4th, 2017 Cypress, CA

Had been negotiating with Sungevity since early March and finally signed the contract mid April to purchase the system outright. Made the 50% payment on May 1st. on May 2nd got the letter stating the Sungevity had file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, something that in the last 2 months was never disclosed to me. There is also a class action lawsuit against Sungevity from its installation partners. Now I have concern that what I was sold which was the integrity, quality and warranty will not last. No work has been done, or even started. I have expressed interest to cancel but Solar Spectrum says it doesn’t matter that I was not informed of the bankruptcy or change from Sungevity to Solar Spectrum, contract is binding, and my options are to complete the business or lose my 50% payment.

16 5

6. User Score

May 3rd, 2017

Sungevity is the company that I went with when I purhased a system two years ago this month. They are located in the San Francisco area but serve a wide area. I live a couple of hundred miles north west of them and they serviced me. I don’t know if they are in other states or not. The company now has a new name, Solar Spectrum.
    If the measure of a solar company is that their product does what it is supposed to do without interruption at a reasonable price, then they are great. As I said the system works great. Last year I produced 2300 kwh’s more than I used and was able to sell those hours to the city of Redding. Not a great price for sure, but … The system has never been down and I’ve experienced no problems with it in any respect. I like the application they have for my phone and computer. I can track my production hour by hour or even by total produced over the lifetime of the system. It’s just a great setup. I don’t know what else I can say about them. But I haven’t had to call them since my installation. Initially I did call because I didn’t understand how to read certain things, but never for a problem.
    So for me, they’re a great company. I considered Solar City before I went with Solar Spectrum. The main reason I selected Solar Spectrum was that with their plan I pay a fixed amount no matter how much more electricity I produce, the price is the same. With Solar City, they charge a set price per kwh. The price they charge was a couple of cents less than the city charges. But in my case, with producing 2300 hours more than I use, it would have been much more expensive. The other thing is that all other things being equal between the companies, I went with Solar Spectrum because for me it’s a much better deal.

6 1

7. User Score

April 29th, 2017 Pomona, CA

I signed my purchase deal on Nov 29, 2016. Site survey completed within a day Design emailed within a few days then everything stopped. No activity the rest of Dec. Called on 1-15-17 for status, checked with permitting authority. Permit only applied for on 1-30-17 with 14 days process. Permit issued 2-14-17, installation scheduled 2-27 but completed 2-25. Final permit signed 3-9-17. No PTO from SCE as of 4-17-17 called SCE, no record of request. Called Sungevity said permit card damaged. One hour later SCE notified me by email of my pending application, 4-18-17 PTO email received from SCE and confirmation system could be turned on received from Sungevity. 4-18-17 system activated 4-19 thru 4-21 system generated enough power to put account in negative SCE usage, a good thing. 4-24 SCE site showed positive power usage. Checked system that stopped working, Fault error. Tried to contact Customer, referred to email due to staffing issues (Chapter 11 layoffs). Assured response in 2 business days..nothing. Solar loan payments begin 5-7 which should have offset what was paid to SCE, now will pay both. If you are a PENDING customer I STRONGLY recommend following up on your project on a regular basis. Refer to my timelines and results from contacts.

Confused why there is such a Solar push without Consumer Protection. I chose Sungevity based on Reviews in Nov 2016. They were rated 8+ and #2 in CA. Reminds me of Bond Rating Scandal.

10 2

8. User Score

April 20th, 2017

Great price – they beat solar city by $700 and the start up was bumpy. Things happen but I have a good rapport with my sale person Deanna and Project Manager Marvin, Sarah was non-responsive, I guess too much on her plate but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I’m happy so far and hope I’m not negatively affected by the Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing….

7 1

9. User Score

April 19th, 2017 Passaic, NJ

My agreement was buy out the solar system since day one. The sale person from Sungevity read contract for me paragraph-by-paragraph without explaining fine line. The company did not give me option to buy out the system even though every aware of my buy out plan from day one including project management and senior project manager and sale persion, the company claimed solar panel tax for 2016 without discussing with me or allowing me to buy the system. My solar system is not ready to run yet. The company give me hard time since beginning, poor customer service. I am calling them for update on my system almost every week. A lots of miss communication among the Sungevity staffs. No one knows each other job in same project. The senior management is very rough and mean to me. I am in middle of the process, not completed my electric panel and city inspection yet. It has been going on since Oct 2016. Never disclosed my option step-by-step. Every time i ask question, they have no idea what going on. The senior project manager is very disrespectful and rude. I need help please…please… if any one can give me idea to get out of the solar system. I feel like i choking every time i talk to them.

25 4

10. User Score

April 17th, 2017 San Jose, CA

TL;DR you’ll have to sue them to get the installation completed. Compare my review below with all the others who have identical problems with them.

Sungevity will be proactive and responsive during the sales process, and certainly when asking for payment. Enjoy it while it lasts because when the project goes to their “project management” team you’ll be forced to use lawyers to get a status update.

They will ask for final payment due before they schedule for the interconnect with PG&E. Once they have your final payment, you will need a lawyer to ever get a response from them again.

It’s been 120 days since I paid for the install. 100 days my paperwork was submitted to PG&E, 90 days since I paid in full for the solar installation, and they have no plan for how to reach that point. For 60 days they sat on my money without doing anything to move the project forward. When I threatened to sue they finally got an inspection scheduled which they failed. Now I’ve been waiting a month, and nothing has been scheduled yet to get it fixed. They just don’t care.

130 days since signing the contract, and there’s no plan, no progress, and no communication. At this rate of progress I’ll be lucky to get the panel installed and working in a calendar year. Meanwhile I’m bleeding cash into my electric bill.

They love to blame on PG&E, however PG&E provided a full record of everything submitted on the account… which was been nothing for 70 days. Then they blame San Jose permits, but you contact them and they show no communication from Sungevity. They blame everyone else, but it always turns it to be their lack of follow through.

TL;DR unless you need more stress and lawyers in your life, you really don’t want to work with Sungevity.

23 4

11. User Score

April 17th, 2017 Manteca, CA

After months of research i selected Sungevity for my solar installation . I had my solar system installed today the workers arrived at 8:30 am and were done by 12:30pm. They were professional and explained the installation process to me. Im waiting to be inspected and connected to the grid now.

4 3

12. User Score

April 3rd, 2017

Every other company I talked to told me I could have my system up and running in a few weeks.
    Mark at Sungevity ran me through the actual process and made me realize I was being misled by the others before I even got started with them.

By contrast Sungevity’s ETA was longer than I’d have liked but was right on the dot. The wheels turn slowly when you’re dealing with permits, approvals, inspections, and utility companies. It could not have been accomplished any sooner than projected.

I went with Sungevity based on that one honest conversation and have never regretted it. My customer service was and still is unsurpassed.
    Jeff

21 3

13. User Score

March 30th, 2017 Pomona, CA

Not satisfied. They promise me they would produce 65 % of my electric bill. Its been 35% instead. I do not get enough sun because of neighboring trees and I live in Hemet,Ca. the hot spot of Riverside county. They refuse to do anything about it.

22 14

14. User Score

March 29th, 2017

Everything was so smooth before, during and after the installation and no need for me to be a watchdog at all. they even bothered to let me know that the county inspection required them to replace the electric box as it did not meet their codes. The info via my computer was established and without any problem for me to check the solar functions and how much KwH it obtains during the day. PG&E was involved.Sungevity and them worked together.

19 3

15. User Score

March 28th, 2017 Wantagh, NY

i JUST RECEIVED A LETTER FROM SUNGEVITY THA THEY ARE DECLARING CHAP 11 BANKRUPTCY.
    I AM SUNGEVITY CUSTOMER FOR 1 AND HALF YEARS AND HAVE BEEN EXTREMELLY PLEASED WITH THE SERVICE,IT WAS PPA WITH NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE

16. User Score

March 25th, 2017

Sungevity has DECLARED BANKRUPTCY. THEY TOOK $10,000 OF MY MONEY- NO INSTALLMENT MADE AND NOW REFUSE TO GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK. hOW CAN ANYONE CHOOSE THESE PEOPLE NOW?

73 5

17. User Score

March 24th, 2017 Westborough, MA

I had no problems at all, the management was great. I went with Sungevity because the price was pretty good and the features were pretty good

3 4

18. User Score

March 24th, 2017 Mariposa, CA

I like their customer service and their approach to it. I’ll give them a 10

2 3

19. User Score

March 24th, 2017 Seaside, CA

Sungevity had the best deal. Installation and project management was good

2 3

20. User Score

March 24th, 2017 Fairfield, CA

I went check out the other solar companies and Sungevity seems to be the best one of all of them. They are excellent

3 2