POWERHOME Solar

1.9

LAST UPDATED: September 23rd, 2021

POWERHOME Solar is one of the fastest-growing solar companies in the United States. It is headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina, and specializes in solar energy and roofing services.

Initially, the company was founded in 2006 as Rescomm. However, in 2014 the company rebranded and became POWERHOME Solar and Roofing.

In 2020, POWERHOME Solar was ranked number 255 on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in America. POWERHOME Solar also boasts that it was ranked seventh nationally among residential solar installers by Solar Power World — making it the number one residential solar company in the Southeast and Midwest.

The Good

• Cost Information
  • $0 Down, 100% Financing
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • No Subcontractors

Cost Information

POWERHOME Solar doesn't provide any exact pricing information on its website. This is completely expected within the industry as the cost of each solar system will vary from property to property.

POWERHOME explains that solar panel prices depend on your current energy consumption, the direction your home faces, the amount of sunlight your roof receives, and more.

However, we applaud POWERHOME Solar for including all the components that will affect your solar system's final price.

The company states that you will be given an all-inclusive price for your system and the final price will be based on the following factors:

• Installation Equipment — This includes solar panels, inverter(s), wiring, conduit, mounting racks, and mounting hardware
  • Custom Designed Solar System — Once you sign a contract, you will work with the POWERHOME team to start designing the system, filing permits, and getting set up for installation
  • Time and Date for Installation — On the agreed-upon date, a POWERHOME team will carefully inspect and install the solar panels, ensure they're functioning properly, and clean up afterward.

For many homeowners, trying to figure out the total cost of their new solar system can be like pulling teeth. We appreciate POWERHOME Solar's transparency and providing consumers with at least some general information on exactly what will affect the total cost.

$0 Down, 100% Financing

POWERHOME Solar offers $0 down, 100 percent financing to qualified homeowners.

The website doesn't exactly say the qualifications, so you will need to contact the company directly for more information.

Lengthy Warranties

POWERHOME Solar boasts that it has some of the highest-quality solar panels that come with superior reliability and performance. Because the company fully believes that its solar panels are superior, all panels come with a 30-year linear power performance guarantee and a 25-year product workmanship guarantee.

Additionally, the panels that POWERHOME Solar uses guarantee that your panels will operate at 80 percent of their original capacity after 30 years.

POWERHOME Solar also offers a 12-year warranty on solar inverters (don't worry, you can purchase an additional 13 years of coverage to match your solar system's 25-year warranty).

No Subcontractors

POWERHOME Solar doesn't hire subcontractors. Instead, the company's team consists of fully licensed electricians, with unlimited general contractors license and unlimited electrical contractors license.

POWERHOME Solar is also a GAF Master Elite roofer. In addition, the company has multiple employees who have completed either OSHA 10 or OSHA 30 training, and the project engineer/design manager is NABCEP-certified.

The Bad

• No Option to Lease
  • Not Available Nationwide

No Option to Lease

Homeowners looking to get a solar lease or PPA for their new system will have to look elsewhere.

While a solar lease or PPA can be a great solution for many homeowners, POWERHOME Solar has several reasons for not offering these financing solutions.

The first and foremost reason POWERHOME doesn't provide solar leases is that it believes that everyone should own their power. When leasing, a third party essentially owns your solar system.

While there are some positives to a lease (the fact that you can get a solar system for little or no money down, you avoid the responsibility of repairs and maintenance, etc.), there are also a few negatives — the main one being that you lose control of your roof.

As leasing companies aim to maximize their profit, you could end up with a lot more panels than you wanted, the panels will be placed where the company wants, and you have to worry about selling the lease to another person should you move before the lease is up.

The second reason POWERHOME Solar doesn't offer solar leases is, so you (the homeowner) get the maximum return on your investment.

Not Available Nationwide

POWERHOME Solar is only available in 15 of the 50 states.

• Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Ohio
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia

The company is still young and growing, so it may be available to residents of other states soon, but there is no timeframe for when that will happen.

The Bottom Line

If you've been thinking about renewable energy and reducing your carbon footprint, we recommend looking into a company like POWERHOME Solar. The company specializes in solar systems and has even received a few awards praising its customer service and business model.

With this solar company, you only have two financing options to choose from (buy or loan), but the company gives a clear explanation of why that is.

In addition, we admire POWERHOME Solar's transparency when it comes to pricing. Although the company doesn't give any exact pricing information (since every system will vary depending on the house, location, panel placement, and more), we appreciate the fact that POWERHOME Solar goes into some detail about what will be included in the final cost — giving you an idea of what to expect.

1.7

Jeff in MI Saginaw, MI

Overall, very satisfied with whole system. Everyone was a professional, and took their job very seriously. The project planning, and execution was not without glitches, but every issue got addressed quickly, and to my satisfaction. I am an engineer and have managed many projects myself, and I give these guys high marks for the coordination of the whole project, from beginning to end. Inspections went very well - it is clear the installation crew did a high-quality job. I agree with other reviews that these guys are not the lowest priced option, but I have always believed that you get what you pay for. I watched these guys like a hawk during installation, and they did very good work. I did catch one rather significant error, and they corrected it immediately. Bottom Line: we installed a 7.4 kW system and the system has been producing anywhere from 10 kWH to almost 40 kWH each day for the first month of full operation, with a peak generating capacity of 6.7 kW. I will be anxious to see the impact on the first full billing cycle, which will be next month’s bill. So far - very satisfied.

Darla Burghdoff Saline, LA

After much deliberation, we decided to install solar with PHS. The crew was very efficient and professional in the installation. My only complaint was that the electrician was in a hurry to leave and proceeded to go through the instructions of the monitoring/control panel so fast that I could not keep up. I told him so. So he tool my cell phone and took a video of what he was trying to explain....still confusing. I watched the video several times, but again, so fast I had a hard time following or knowing what it all really meant. Mind you we are in our late 60's to early 70's...so not as quick as a 30 something. Our light bills have not been $20 like we were led to believe. When I called them I was told it might take 3 months to adjust. 3 months?! In the meantime we are paying light bills plus the monthly fee for the solar panels. Then we got a call from the loan company that PHS uses. They now want us to refinance our mortgage and roll in the full cost of the system! That was not talked about before. We just refinanced a year ago....not sure I want to go through all that again. Will need to hear what they have to say. It will save us money they said....yeah, like the solar panels do?! Not seeing it yet. Guess this is more for younger people. We'll see.

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hello, We appreciate your feedback and we are actively looking to locate your account so that we can reach out to you. Could you please verify the state you are in? We are truly sorry you do not feel you were given enough time to understand the system and we would like to reach out and help walk you through it again. We can also end you the user manual for any future reference. As for your system production itself, we will gladly pull up your monitoring account and verify that everything is operating as it should once we can verify the account itself. Please get back with us regarding the state your account is in and we will reach out as soon as possible.

Sep. 22nd, 2021

JJ Houston, TX

Had these folks out to provide a bid for a residential solar system. The field rep was very helpful and provided good information. My first “red flag” was their business plan. The rep outlined their geographical footprint (in the northeast and eastern states with a strategy of moving west. The rep then explained they decided to expand into Texas after the unusual winter we had experienced this year. No quality company changes their strategic business plan because of a meteorological anomaly. That is a knee jerk opportunistic reaction to pray on victims of a weather event. My caution was solidified when introduced to the “closer/sales manager”and we were instantly turned off. Very pushy and had a rebuttal for everything we felt were negatives. I felt like I was dealing with a sleazy used car salesman. DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME!! Over priced and the loan terms are a trap. STAY AWAY!

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hello, we would love to speak with you more about this situation in particular, and I would personally appreciate the chance to attempt to improve your experience with us. If you wouldn't mind providing the name that would be on the account with us, I would love to look into this more. We never want our customer's to feel pushed into a decision or a situation where they have no choice. Thank you.

Sep. 3rd, 2021

Reef Morse Westland, MI

Cost was a bit high but the installers were excellent. Got approval to turn on the unit in a week. Only difficulty was that the array was located under a big tree that had to be cut down. I bought a 4.3 kW array and have been getting 20-25 kWH on sunny days. I want to expand the system as I have an electric car. All in all a pleasant experience with few glitches.

Donna Walter Monroe, MI

The salesman was very nice but when he got to the end it was either sign up now or we aren’t coming back here. Who makes a $60,000 decision without thinking about it for a day or a week? I asked this and was told repeatedly that they don’t look back, only forward. They can’t waste more time coming back out. You don’t need to come back out to do anything. You already made the pitch. Oh, well we get rid of your information if you say no. Then he gets the closer, Charlie, on the phone. Charlie talks to us like we are 5 years old and need a soft, patronizing tone. I explain that we don’t make decisions of this magnitude on a whim. He wants a “soft approval” blah blah blah. I tell him, I’m done. Goodbye Charlie. I wouldn’t do business with this company simply because they want to pressure you into signing up right now. No extra thought required. Oh, and the salesman kept saying the owner must know what he’s doing because he’s a billionaire. Yeah, because he pressures people into buying things. It felt like a time share spiel. Save your time. Go with someone else.

Mongo Harley Slatington, PA

The salesman, Mike, was very nice and professional. High-pressure sales tactics made my spidey senses tingle. In the end, I didn't sign the contract because the price was just too high. My gut feeling was that I was being taken for a ride. After some research and seeing the reviews and complaints about PHS, I feel like a dodged a bullet.

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hello, we're sorry about the experience that you've had with us here at PowerHome Solar. A representative will be reaching out to try and correct this issue and see what we can do to further assist, if possible. Thank you.

Sep. 3rd, 2021

Woodhaven project Trenton, MI

Still waiting on my systems new meter so I can get credits. Company has been here 4 times to place labels and take pictures of the same labels. customer service called 5 times for the same labels asking to schedule a time. Still don’t have the city sign off……5 months later. Sales guys is typical sales person. Sold it and never answered again. Calculator for savings is way off. Asked for a credit due to delay and they respond with cookie cutter apology and never address your concerns. DO NOT give this company a a dime of your money. Not worth the hassle and the savings are not even at 50% of what they stated during the sales pitch .

Fredrik Buch Baltimore, MD

I made the terrible mistake to sign their awful contract to get over $70785 worth of equipment, (according to them), installed on my barn roof. My tax accountant was the first to question the extreme price tag of the system when he told me he had never seen such an expensive system with any of his other clients. When he heard that I was to use the "possible tax rebate of $18404.10" that I was to maybe get next year and pay down the loan or else be stuck with an even higher monthly payment he said I was being ripped off and should back out of the contract, since nothing had been installed yet. I went ahead and called another solar company to get a quote matching the equipment that Powerhome Solar was putting on my roof and shockingly learned that the other company would install the exact same system for $37934!!! My wife just underwent surgery to have a brain tumor removed, needless to say we have better places to put our money than grossly overpriced solar panels. No physical work had been done yet at all by PHS, just some plans had been drawn and a permit had been pulled. I went ahead and cancelled the loan for the financing of the project, effectively stopping the transaction, leaning on section 12 of the contract. "If Buyer cancels this Agreement following the three (3) day right to cancel period, then, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, Buyer will be liable for all costs incurred by Contractor up to and including the date of cancellation, including any building permit fees." PHS accepted my cancellation after 10 days sending me an invoice over $4200. I requested an itemized list of the costs incurred by them and was told to just pay the lump sum, I won't be provided with an itemized list, since they could contractually be charging me 10% of the project costs after the 3 day right to cancel if they chose to and I should be grateful they didn't do so. This company is PREDATORY, RUTHLESS and GROSSLY OVERPRICED. Get your solar panels somewhere else or you will regret it.

Scott stratton Flushing, MI

STAY AWAY!!! I had a system installed in November 2020 yesterday 6/4/2021 we failed another inspection. They have had to move panels twice on my roof already. Now with this failed inspection there are 4 more panels to be moved. However there is nowhere else to move them. Not to mention the completely crap job they did at patching the damage to my roof from the other panels that had to be moved. They keep sending technicians that have no idea what they are coming to make adjustments to, and who don't have materials with them needed either. The last person they sent to go over the job with my inspector was an electrician. Our current issue however is not passing building code. While the electrician was at my home waiting for the inspector however, he did find several more issues with how the electrical was ran during the installation. So great, I have more failed inspections to come. ARE YOU SERIOUS... GER YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ARS!!! This is not even scratching the surface at my dis satisfaction with this company. I have had solar installed on homes before in other states and had wonderful experiences. Power Home is just interested in the sale there quality of work and customer satisfaction is in the crapper. GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

D & K Cleveland, TN

This company gets a 3 rating because a fantastic field representative did a great job of explaining my homes requirements. The initial salesman was rude in his tone of voice and got upset when I questioned the negative reviews. After the pricing quote the rep had to hand us off to a closer, his manager. He shot us down for not closing on the spot. We were getting 2 more bids. He had a hissy and therefor we will not buy from this company. Had we taped this conversation, we feel he should have been fired!

M simmons Howell, MI

I’ve been arguing with them for months over equipment that is not working. I’ve constantly been getting the run around with no end in site. They promise a lot but deliver nothing. Very frustrating company to deal with. Stay away from them.

Country Boy Herington, KS

Don't use these folks they bombarded us with calls daily. Salesman gave us a long list of BS. Thank God he said we didn't qualify got the same system for less and reliability here sucks. Never on time and do not return calls. Did not get all information needed to qualify us, it was a gift to be denied🙃😊 negative 3 stars(-3)

Jeff Smith Newport News, VA

Almost one year into having the initial installation "completed." Four failed inspections, a dozen service calls, and wear and tear on my family... the panels are STILL not operational!!! Avoid this company at all cost. If anyone has info on a class action lawsuit, please let me know!

Rachel Haratz Pooler, GA

Power Home Solar, LLC sold us on this solar program being offered by Ameren and they are required to offer a percentage of its customers solar. At 66 years old I now stuck with a 20 year loan that will end up costing me $72,000. They have a class action lawsuit, a business insider investigation, and almost 300 complaints on the BBB website!!! I encourage you to research this company. I hope they all sleep at night knowing what they are doing to us! Oh and by the way employees have backed up Business Insider investigation

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hello Rachel, we would like to apologize for your negative experience with our company. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation and address the concerns you have. You can be expecting an email or a phone call from a representative to assist you with your concerns.

Jean Bovard Murphy Charlottesville, VA

This is the worst company that I have ever worked with in my lifetime. I am 70 years old! Their customer service is horrible. The company treats their employees horribly. Never ever use this company.

Denise Farag Loveland, OH

Great people all around. Start to finish they answered all my questions. Awesome job

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hi Denise, thank you for taking the time to review us, we value our customers’ opinions and appreciate your feedback, enjoy your new system!

Sharon Williams Sterling, VA

This is a terrible company. I have to have my roof replaced and i need to pay them 2900.00 to take the solar panels down. The roof is leaking and i have mold my 3 bedrooms. They are not helpful at all. I am looking a legal options They did not tell me about this. Please dont install their solar panels.

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hi Sharon, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We apologize for any inconveniences this caused for you. We will be reaching out to see how we can assist with this situation.

Philip Hamilton Tower City, PA

One star is too generous. Sales men are there to make money but I can not believe how many lies we were told. He admitted to me that he does not offer the other options or the cheaper options. I looked local and found a man that would give me a similar system, better, and for less than half the price. I'm saying, don't go in being aware of all your options, don't have anything to do with them. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hi Philip, we apologize we did not meet your expectations. We take pride with every interaction we have, and we apologize if we missed the mark here. We will be contacting you to see how we can address and rectify your concerns.

Paul Fairchild Belleville, MI

Power Home Solar quoted me way to much for a system to the point of being ridiculous. No way was I going to pay that.

Larry Langenderfer Mason, OH

I would give it negative stars if I could. Was installed in November 2020 and have been waiting 6 months now to get final approval and actually turn the system on. I've been paying on the system since February though. The sales lady was nice and that's about the only good thing I can say. The crew came out and showed no care for my property. Cut through telephone lines and drainage system without attempting to inform me of the damage. Cracked my driveway and destroyed my lawn driving the bobcat all over. Worst experience with a contractor ever

Reply from POWERHOME Solar

Hi Larry, here at PowerHome we pride ourselves on our high quality and high standards. And in this instance, we clearly dropped the ball. We will be reaching out to you personally to touch bases; we want to learn more about your experience and how we can rectify these concerns.