POWERHOME Solar Logo

POWERHOME Solar

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

POWERHOME Solar is one of the fastest-growing solar companies in the United States. It is headquartered in Mooresville, North Carolina, and specializes in solar energy and roofing services.

Initially, the company was founded in 2006 as Rescomm. However, in 2014 the company rebranded and became POWERHOME Solar and Roofing.

In 2020, POWERHOME Solar was ranked number 255 on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest-growing private companies in America. POWERHOME Solar also boasts that it was ranked seventh nationally among residential solar installers by Solar Power World — making it the number one residential solar company in the Southeast and Midwest.

The Good

• Cost Information
  • $0 Down, 100% Financing
  • Lengthy Warranties
  • No Subcontractors

Cost Information

POWERHOME Solar doesn't provide any exact pricing information on its website. This is completely expected within the industry as the cost of each solar system will vary from property to property.

POWERHOME explains that solar panel prices depend on your current energy consumption, the direction your home faces, the amount of sunlight your roof receives, and more.

However, we applaud POWERHOME Solar for including all the components that will affect your solar system's final price.

The company states that you will be given an all-inclusive price for your system and the final price will be based on the following factors:

• Installation Equipment — This includes solar panels, inverter(s), wiring, conduit, mounting racks, and mounting hardware
  • Custom Designed Solar System — Once you sign a contract, you will work with the POWERHOME team to start designing the system, filing permits, and getting set up for installation
  • Time and Date for Installation — On the agreed-upon date, a POWERHOME team will carefully inspect and install the solar panels, ensure they're functioning properly, and clean up afterward.

For many homeowners, trying to figure out the total cost of their new solar system can be like pulling teeth. We appreciate POWERHOME Solar's transparency and providing consumers with at least some general information on exactly what will affect the total cost.

$0 Down, 100% Financing

POWERHOME Solar offers $0 down, 100 percent financing to qualified homeowners.

The website doesn't exactly say the qualifications, so you will need to contact the company directly for more information.

Lengthy Warranties

POWERHOME Solar boasts that it has some of the highest-quality solar panels that come with superior reliability and performance. Because the company fully believes that its solar panels are superior, all panels come with a 30-year linear power performance guarantee and a 25-year product workmanship guarantee.

Additionally, the panels that POWERHOME Solar uses guarantee that your panels will operate at 80 percent of their original capacity after 30 years.

POWERHOME Solar also offers a 12-year warranty on solar inverters (don't worry, you can purchase an additional 13 years of coverage to match your solar system's 25-year warranty).

No Subcontractors

POWERHOME Solar doesn't hire subcontractors. Instead, the company's team consists of fully licensed electricians, with unlimited general contractors license and unlimited electrical contractors license.

POWERHOME Solar is also a GAF Master Elite roofer. In addition, the company has multiple employees who have completed either OSHA 10 or OSHA 30 training, and the project engineer/design manager is NABCEP-certified.

The Bad

• No Option to Lease
  • Not Available Nationwide

No Option to Lease

Homeowners looking to get a solar lease or PPA for their new system will have to look elsewhere.

While a solar lease or PPA can be a great solution for many homeowners, POWERHOME Solar has several reasons for not offering these financing solutions.

The first and foremost reason POWERHOME doesn't provide solar leases is that it believes that everyone should own their power. When leasing, a third party essentially owns your solar system.

While there are some positives to a lease (the fact that you can get a solar system for little or no money down, you avoid the responsibility of repairs and maintenance, etc.), there are also a few negatives — the main one being that you lose control of your roof.

As leasing companies aim to maximize their profit, you could end up with a lot more panels than you wanted, the panels will be placed where the company wants, and you have to worry about selling the lease to another person should you move before the lease is up.

The second reason POWERHOME Solar doesn't offer solar leases is, so you (the homeowner) get the maximum return on your investment.

Not Available Nationwide

POWERHOME Solar is only available in 15 of the 50 states.

• Georgia
  • Michigan
  • Ohio
  • Tennessee
  • West Virginia

The company is still young and growing, so it may be available to residents of other states soon, but there is no timeframe for when that will happen.

The Bottom Line

If you've been thinking about renewable energy and reducing your carbon footprint, we recommend looking into a company like POWERHOME Solar. The company specializes in solar systems and has even received a few awards praising its customer service and business model.

With this solar company, you only have two financing options to choose from (buy or loan), but the company gives a clear explanation of why that is.

In addition, we admire POWERHOME Solar's transparency when it comes to pricing. Although the company doesn't give any exact pricing information (since every system will vary depending on the house, location, panel placement, and more), we appreciate the fact that POWERHOME Solar goes into some detail about what will be included in the final cost — giving you an idea of what to expect.

1.7

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

D & K Cleveland, TN

This company gets a 3 rating because a fantastic field representative did a great job of explaining my homes requirements. The initial salesman was rude in his tone of voice and got upset when I questioned the negative reviews. After the pricing quote the rep had to hand us off to a closer, his manager. He shot us down for not closing on the spot. We were getting 2 more bids. He had a hissy and therefor we will not buy from this company. Had we taped this conversation, we feel he should have been fired!

Scott stratton Flushing, MI

STAY AWAY!!! I had a system installed in November 2020 yesterday 6/4/2021 we failed another inspection. They have had to move panels twice on my roof already. Now with this failed inspection there are 4 more panels to be moved. However there is nowhere else to move them. Not to mention the completely crap job they did at patching the damage to my roof from the other panels that had to be moved. They keep sending technicians that have no idea what they are coming to make adjustments to, and who don't have materials with them needed either. The last person they sent to go over the job with my inspector was an electrician. Our current issue however is not passing building code. While the electrician was at my home waiting for the inspector however, he did find several more issues with how the electrical was ran during the installation. So great, I have more failed inspections to come. ARE YOU SERIOUS... GER YOUR HEADS OUT OF YOUR ARS!!! This is not even scratching the surface at my dis satisfaction with this company. I have had solar installed on homes before in other states and had wonderful experiences. Power Home is just interested in the sale there quality of work and customer satisfaction is in the crapper. GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

Larry Langenderfer Mason, OH

I would give it negative stars if I could. Was installed in November 2020 and have been waiting 6 months now to get final approval and actually turn the system on. I've been paying on the system since February though. The sales lady was nice and that's about the only good thing I can say. The crew came out and showed no care for my property. Cut through telephone lines and drainage system without attempting to inform me of the damage. Cracked my driveway and destroyed my lawn driving the bobcat all over. Worst experience with a contractor ever

Jean Bovard Murphy Charlottesville, VA

This is the worst company that I have ever worked with in my lifetime. I am 70 years old! Their customer service is horrible. The company treats their employees horribly. Never ever use this company.

Jeff Smith Newport News, VA

Almost one year into having the initial installation "completed." Four failed inspections, a dozen service calls, and wear and tear on my family... the panels are STILL not operational!!! Avoid this company at all cost. If anyone has info on a class action lawsuit, please let me know!

Rachel Haratz Pooler, GA

Power Home Solar, LLC sold us on this solar program being offered by Ameren and they are required to offer a percentage of its customers solar. At 66 years old I now stuck with a 20 year loan that will end up costing me $72,000. They have a class action lawsuit, a business insider investigation, and almost 300 complaints on the BBB website!!! I encourage you to research this company. I hope they all sleep at night knowing what they are doing to us! Oh and by the way employees have backed up Business Insider investigation

Denise Farag Loveland, OH

Great people all around. Start to finish they answered all my questions. Awesome job

Sharon Williams Sterling, VA

This is a terrible company. I have to have my roof replaced and i need to pay them 2900.00 to take the solar panels down. The roof is leaking and i have mold my 3 bedrooms. They are not helpful at all. I am looking a legal options They did not tell me about this. Please dont install their solar panels.

Philip Hamilton Tower City, PA

One star is too generous. Sales men are there to make money but I can not believe how many lies we were told. He admitted to me that he does not offer the other options or the cheaper options. I looked local and found a man that would give me a similar system, better, and for less than half the price. I'm saying, don't go in being aware of all your options, don't have anything to do with them. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.