Elan Solar Logo

Elan Solar

6.4

LAST UPDATED: November 4th, 2021

Headquartered in Orem, Utah, Elan Solar is a residential solar panel installation company that has been serving Utah homeowners since its founding in 2015. The company offers a variety of solutions to help customers achieve energy independence including solar panel systems and backup solar energy storage — all protected by industry-leading warranties.

The Good

• Solar Product Partnerships
  • Solid Solar Warranties
  • Roofing Experts

Solar Product Partnerships

Elan Solar has partnered with several leading solar manufacturers to provide homeowners with quality solar panel systems and energy storage solutions. For solar inverters, Elan Solar has chosen the industry leaders: SolarEdge and Enphase.

Both manufacturers produce some of the best inverter and solar monitoring systems on the market. Elan Solar customers can track their energy usage, as well as the electricity produced by the system, via a helpful mobile app.

As for solar panels, the company primarily installs solar cells from REC Solar, Solaria, and LG, all of which rank among the solar industry's best in terms of energy efficiency and durability. Finally, the company installs the Enphase Ensemble and Tesla Powerwall solar backup battery devices, which can charge the home's electrical systems in the event of a power outage.

Solid Solar Warranties

In addition to the 25-year equipment warranties provided by the solar component manufacturers, Elan Solar provides its own 20-year labor/service warranty, which covers necessary maintenance or unforeseen issues affecting the panels, inverter, or roof for essentially the lifetime of the solar PV system.

Roofing Experts

Elan Solar's expert technicians thoroughly examine every roof prior to the solar installation process. If, during the initial site inspection, they determine the roof has a longevity of greater than two years, Elan Solar will remove, store, and install the system at the current market rate; and if the homeowner chooses the option to have Elan Solar to replace the roof, the company will install the system for free.

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • No Solar Lease or Power Purchase Agreement
  • Not NABCEP Certified

Limited Availability

Elan Solar is licensed and insured in every state the company operates in; however, Elan Solar only appears to operate and install systems in Utah, which is an incredibly competitive residential solar market occupied by hundreds of solar providers.

Leveraging and promoting verified Elan Solar reviews may be an effective way for the company to highlight its service quality and customer satisfaction.

No Solar Lease or Power Purchase Agreement

Elan Solar only provides homeowners with paths to solar ownership, meaning direct purchase or zero-down solar financing.

Alternative financing options like solar leases and power purchase agreements (PPA), though cost-effective for homeowners on fixed budgets, are not available through Elan Solar.

Not NABCEP Certified

Elan Solar does not appear to be certified by the NABCEP. The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners authors some of the most strenuous and well-respected solar installation certification programs in the industry.

An NABCEP certification indicates to customers that technicians have undergone advanced training to ensure an expertly installed system.

Though not an indictment of any company, the lack of a certification can sometimes make all the difference for a homeowner comparing multiple solar companies.

The Bottom Line

Elan Solar’s industry partnerships, warranties, and roofing expertise make it a prime candidate to handle any residential solar project that comes its way.

Customers should note that Elan Solar only provides ownership financing products; if you’re hoping to lease the system, another company may be a better fit.

That said, customers are encouraged to read verified Elan Solar reviews and schedule an energy consultation to see if this company is right for them.

Message from
Elan Solar

Elan Solar is fast becoming one of the most trusted solar providers. With a long history, we have sourced the best equipment customized specifically with the customer in mind. We have identified short-term financing solutions equating to an excellent return on investment.

The owner held several key positions with the largest solar company (US) before founding Elan Solar. We have been in the household service industry since 2001. We look forward to helping you on your path to owning your power and gaining energy independence.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

3.1

bookmark

Featured Review

Eric Park City, UT

There is still hardware that needs to be installed but it otherwise ahs been seamless. I haven’t had any problems. If you are looking for alternative energy, give them a call.

bookmark

Featured Review

Chazz Santaquin, UT

They beat the prices of other companies and I trust them. It was smooth getting it set up.

Mark Salt Lake City, UT

I trust them. Solar is one of those issues that there's a lot of companies out there and Elan Solar would be one of the ones you can trust. The equipment has been good and worked ever since they installed it. They promised me a date, they were there on that day and had it installed and had it up and working the next day so they were they were really good. Anytime I call and ask them questions and had concerns with the system, making sure it was working properly they always either came out and explained it to me or responded over the phone. They were great help during installation and answering questions during the whole process. When they did get it installed they came out and explained the system and how it worked and hooked up by an app that I could use for tracking everyday which is really very nice so you know overall I think they were probably one of the better companies out there.

Chris Layton, UT

The installation process took a little while and I actually had to pay my first loan payment before the system was even turned on.....I spoke to the Elan Reps a month prior expressing my concern about the system not working before my loan payments kicked in and they deferred to Rocky Mountain Electric. I'm still waiting to see the savings the sales rep advertised, my monthly bill doesn't seem to be going down to Rocky Mountain....He quoted we would only have to pay the $11 Rocky Mountain connection fee....our last bill was over $150. Lastly, the sales rep offered an additional $2000 incentive discount to sell them product and we have not seen this money either.

Eric Payson, UT

I really haven't worked with other solar equipment that much to know first hand which is better, but it seems to work well and I like the idea of having micro converters at each power cells opposed to having one entire converter so that each panel can work individually the rest. Installation went pretty well. They came they set up and it was about a month or so just waiting for all the permissions to get taken care of between the city and everything to be able to start using the power and for them to put in a new power meter and that was it. Elan is very quick and responsive anytime there was questions, they're reaching out whenever there is any issues.

Steven Orem, UT

I was very disappointed after the sale to find out that if the power goes out my solar panels stop working, they did not tell me that. It was not smooth at all. They left items here at the house- pallets, some bricks, garbage and they chopped down one of our bushes without telling us. I was so mad. I will never recommend Elan Solar to anybody. They were very hard to get a hold of. Before the sale they were great after the sell they were very very bad. Its fishy to me. They gave us like 25 or 50 dollar Amazon gift card because the guy's chops down our bush and then they just left the bush there. That is pathetic to me. I was so disappointed in Elan Solar after the after the sale, before the sale they sounded great, after the sale they were slow to respond. So disappointed in Elan Solar.

Douglas West Jordan, UT

Elan has an easy way of refinancing in case we have to move or something we won't be held responsible for the whole cost of the solar. It took an extremely long time to get permits and everything through the city. It was almost five months before we were able to actually turn the panels on. They had to come out three times just doing different things. I like the fact that there's individual inverters.

Stephanie Salt Lake City, UT

After doing some research I found they have the best product and the most affordable prices. Everything was done smoothly and seems to be running very efficiently. It only took one day to get it up on the roof. The cleaned up their mess. We were happy with what they left us.

Anonymous Santaquin, UT

Sales person was really friendly compared to other companies that stopped by our house. The installation part was the best experience we had with them as they are hard to get in touch with. We have had problems getting someone out to help us.

Steve Farmington, UT

Overall a good experience with Elan Solar. They are really easy to work with. Their customer service is always very responsive and professional. It has been pretty seamless and smooth. They use higher quality panels and stand behind their product with warranties.

Lorren Spanish Fork, UT

Great company to work with. Any time I had a concern, they were right on top of it. It was great. They did a good job putting on new roof and solar on my house. It was fast and looks presentable. It is saving me a lot of money.

Scott Parkinson Tooele, UT

Friendly staff (reception, salesman, and electrician), rated 1 star as installation is still ongoing (almost double the time we were told), electrician didn't bother showing on the first install causing further delays, nobody seems to be following up with next steps in the installation process. We're always having to nudge someone to get things done. Finally, staff rarely return calls if you leave a voicemail. Overall can't recommend as it's been an uphill battle to get anything done, not to mention a breaker box replacement that was promised to us upon signing (since ours is a recall known for arcing) was never delivered. The salesman never documented it, so who knows how much time this box has left or if it's going to cause damage down the road to our system.

Justin Headley Farmington, UT

There are obviously many solar companies out there, but our sales consultant, Adam P really helped me feel comfortable throughout the buying process. He was very knowledgeable and professional.

Ryan Sedgwick Lehi, UT

The upfront sales process was great. They were very helpful and detail oriented. That changed upon signing the contract. My panels were installed prior to receiving the permit from the city despite my request to wait. That started the clock ticking. Communication has been lacking since then with weeks between responses (I still have an outstanding issue I hope will be resolved soon).

Anthony Salt Lake City, UT

It's working just fine though they should warn their customers about bird potentially getting under the panels and offer some sort of solution for that. It would be great if they offered that as part of the service. It is a little but of trouble getting of someone in customer service after the install was done.

Juan Castillo Provo, UT

After a couple calls to Elan Solar, my solar system is running and working perfectly. The customer service is very good and kind.

Sarah West Jordan, UT

Install was super quick but it took us 8 months to finally get it past inspection to be able to turn it on and actually use it. I had to call EVERY MONTH to get our reimbursement check to cover the cost of our loan payment since we weren’t generating.

Evan Mason Mapleton, UT

I don’t think my system is either running or maybe not at capacity. I’ve had an electrical bill the entire time I’ve been “live” and I can’t seem to find the right person to talk to.

John Lehi, UT

After a few interactions with support, there isn't much they can offer to help me understand my system or what it is doing. Response times are also slow. The install went fine but after that, there hasn't been much help.

Mark Pettey Draper, UT

Please see my review on Google for more details. The short story is that it took a lot longer than anticipated to get my panels up and so far my power bill has not come down much at all. My power bill through the summer was over $100 each month. So far this has not been worth the investment!

Peter Mueller Saratoga Springs, UT

Everything about our experience was great. The only thing I had issues with was their billing department seemed a little scattered and it was a bit frustrating to work with them on a special billing situation.

Hunter Holland Eagle Mountain, UT

We have had one of the most frustrating, unprofessional experiences with Elan Solar. Which is a huge disappointment since I was excited to get my solar panels through you. To start off, you guys give so many empty promises on timeframe and communication. Was promised that it would take 6 weeks max to get them installed from that visit. Took around 4 months to get them fully installed. Not only that but your installers came beginning of April and did half of the installation, (which meant I couldn’t back out of the sale without a fee) then came back end of April and stayed for 10 minutes just to let me know that they didn’t have the right part. Came back a week later and did the exact same thing. Had to call in the office 2 weeks later just to figure out that the part was out of order. Which is understandable but why wasn’t I told that 3 weeks prior? Not only that, I got a email from sunlight financial stating that Elan Solar told them that the solar panels were installed in April and that I had 60 days before my payments started. I called sunlight and they confirmed that you told them they were installed even though they were NOT fully installed. So it seems from that you just want my money and don’t care about the customer when your company lied about the installation. My solar panels were finally installed completely the second week of June. The same month my payment started. I contacted customer care and they did issue a refund for the first month. I have contacted customer care now 3 times in July to get a refund for the second month (since I get 60 days after installation before I have to start paying and it is your fault I have to pay so early, due to your lie about when the installation was made) and have been ignored by you. Still waiting for someone to answer me. I have had to contact you almost every other week since the beginning of April due to lack of communication on your side, just to figure out what is going on. You should be ashamed of how you have treated this customer. I will not only not recommend your company to others but to make it known of this horrible experience that I have had and to look elsewhere for solar panels. I was skeptical seeing other reviews about your company but thought the good outweighed the bad, from my experience that is not the case. Anybody looking for solar panels, look elsewhere unless you are up for months of frustration and be with a company that cares more about the money than the customer.

Ariel McKenna American Fork, UT

Communication between the customer and the company is very poor. No one reached out when there were problems/ delays with our process. Our installation was delayed by almost two months because it was not correctly scheduled. And I had to follow up multiple times about it. I am to the point that I would have just skipped the process altogether to save myself the prolonged headache of this process.

Rhett Payson, UT

Haven’t had any problems with anything. They set up the appointment, came and everything got installed. Customer support is accessible and easy to talk to. Every time I call, my problems are solved.

Taminan Layton, UT

Customer service is always available but it often takes two or three calls to get anything done. They have a good deal and walked us through the process and answered all our questions.

Corey Saratoga Springs, UT

Everything, including permits, they took care of. I didn’t have to do much. There isn’t a definite place to call to get a hold of someone in customer service.

Stephen South Jordan, UT

Comparable in price and quality to other companies. The process works great. We could call to know what was happening next. Installation was fine though they did leave some stuff in the yard that we had to clean up.

Jason Vernal, UT

Had a lot of problems with my install. It didn’t happen when it was supposed to. It dragged. My rate plan changed. Once they came and finally installed it, there was snow on my roof that had to be shoveled off. They never credited me like they were supposed to. My sales person told me all kinds of things that were not true. They did upgrade my system to cover the additional cost and they were pretty nice so I am pretty happy overall.

Cassandra Payson, UT

The initial installation was fine but they couldn’t get it working for like a month and that was not great. I feel like they could be better at customer service. At one point the solar was not producing and there was no way to now. The warranty is what drew me to it.

Willman Henriquez Lehi, UT

Because , they installed the panel almost one month ago, since then installers told me to wait for inspection but , I don’t know when it gonna be , and no one had call me , so I got the panels on my roof but I haven’t received any services yet !! I don’t know ti have to do

Tobey Orme Payson, UT

Was promised/guaranteed a certain amount in state (and federal) tax credit which was not delivered. False information. Had to do all the research myself with the state who said I was given false information. Have reached out to management with no reply.

Martha

It is a very bad experience. I would never recommend it, everything the company and that seller offer is a lie. And also I am paying more than what I paid before. Also, they no by responsible for the 5 months we pay before the installation

Angela Brickey Lindon, UT

I am very frustrated with this company. When we purchased our solar panels we also purchased a back-up battery. This was in Oct 2020. When they installed the solar panels they never installed the outlet for the batter. We don’t even have a cord for the battery! After almost a year of emails and phone calls they have still never resolved this problem with us!

Esperanza Salt Lake City, UT

The guy was good in putting them in installing but he was like really bad at explaining stuff and then when we tried calling to ask questions he just never replied he never answered his phone. It was a long process. We have a lot of questions that they don't answer and the bills are the same so that doesn't really help. And they never give me information on the solar panels like the app, they never give me anything on that. And the customer service was pretty pretty bad cause he never answered the phone.

Tim Samsel Heber City, UT

Getting permit and install was real fast however I’m still waiting for my inspection so we can turn it on, its been over two weeks and still waiting.

David Riverton, UT

I’m impressed with the looks and the way it was put up on the roof. I don’t feel like they did a good job keeping me in the loop when it was being repaired.

Anonymous Springville, UT

The price is good and it work flawlessly. Installation was done very quickly, within a day. It was great. They responded to every questions I had.

Zachery Santaquin, UT

For me it was hard to get in contact with them. The installation of the panels was great but everything after that has been horrible. We have had the panels for two or three months and they are still not activated.

Pamela Heber City, UT

We had neighbors recommend them. They were able to get it up on the roof in one day. The power company is causing delays.

Carrie Payson, UT

The sales guy is very good. Customer service is very nonresponsive. We struggled to get it installed. Installation was okay. They installed part of it on the roof that doesn’t have attic access so now they can’t access those panels and they are just sitting there.

Kyle Midvale, UT

No issues. It is great. I like the thousand dollar rebate they offered. They did a good job answering the phone but getting a response from them if you don’t stay on top of things is tough.

Edgar Roy, UT

The guys who installed it were wat to loud. The equipment seems to be okay. Customer service does not get back to you when they say they will. I would like them to listen to their customer’s concerns.

Brian Payson, UT

The installation process went well but it took them a while to get the system up and running and the battery they sold us didn’t work and it took them a long time after the install to back and correct the issues.

Doug Heber City, UT

So far it looks pretty good. They were very efficient getting it set up. It was done in a day. There haven’t been any support issues.

Enrique Santaquin, UT

They have been kind and professional. The installers were very kind and considerate. Every time I need customer service, they are available.

Jeffery Spencer American Fork, UT

The process with Elan Solar was smooth and easy from start to finish. The professional team put together an excellent panel design for my house. Elan Solar updated me about the status of every step of the process. They took care of everything from the design to the permits and installation. I highly recommend this company for your solar panels.

Elan Solar Logo

Reply from Elan Solar

Thank you for the kind words! We appreciate your business!

Sep. 24th, 2021

Brent Heaton Saratoga Springs, UT

Seemed competitive on install, but Still have high power bill. If I had to do it again I wouldn't go solar from anyone, there is not any savings.

William Tipton Saratoga Springs, UT

Professional- No pressure sales - Great installation team. Overall very great experience

Jonathan Sylvester Salt Lake City, UT

We were promised tax credit for the solar panels and payments below $80.00 when we first signed up for them. Now it is just a hassle to have and we still have to have Rocky Mountain Power Electric which is pointless. Our electric bill is now about $300.00/month. The solar panels are not needed and there's no way to cancel them.

Bradley Farnsworth Santaquin, UT

Very little follow up since installation. Not even sure how to work my system or if it is even turned on. You expect them to have great customer service when you pay 20k for a system.