The Social Mention platform is designed to aggregate user-generated content from across the web into a single stream of broken-down information. This tool allows users to easily track what their customer-base is saying about the company, product, or service across social media platforms in real-time. They monitor over 80 social media platforms and currently provide point-in-time social media search and analysis.
- Aggregated data from hundreds of platforms
The Social Mention tool proves a social media search and analysis platform that aggregates user-generated content from across the web. This content is then displayed into a single stream of information that allows users to easily track and measure a number of qualifiers in real-time. The Social Mention platform monitors: what customers say about your company, products, or related topics.
Since Social Mention is a comprehensive search tool for user-generated content, it makes sense that they offer a number of helpful services to dissect the queries and results. In addition to being able to monitor a brand reputation, users can also take advantage of the following:
- Analysis/Trends Service: updated in real-time, users can see how certain content is performing and what categories/topics are trending around the web.
- Daily Social Media Alerts: users can set up how and when alerts are received to make sure no posts or content are going unnoticed.
- API: The Social Mention API enables developers to interact with the Social Mention web site programmatically. The API provides a single stream of real-time search data aggregated from numerous social media properties. It's designed to make it possible for anyone to access and integrate social media data into other applications. Access to the Social Mention API is freely available to anyone for personal or non-commercial usage making less then 100 queries per day.
Social Mention does not only aggregate data from the traditional social media platforms such as: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Google. In fact, they pull content from FriendFeed, Digg, and over one hundred other social platforms. This makes social mention one of the largest aggregators of specific content and mentions available.
While Social Mention tries to keep their platform simple and straight-forward, there are a few missing features from the service. To get started, all users need to do is type their query into the Social Mention toolbar. This search can result in hundreds or even thousands of results. In order to filter these results, there is a category selection option available. However, this filtering system is quite limited and the only categories include:
The premium account for those who plan on conducting a large number of search queries will need to pay a monthly price of $29. The $29 account is the cheapest option and the packages go up to $99/month.
The Bottom Line
Social Mention is one of the best aggregators of social media content available. While they can pull in user-generated content, there are some limitations to the platform. Those that use Social Mention for searching aggregated content can expect the following from the platform:
- Real-time updated data
- API and Trending feature
- Multiple accounts to choose from
- Limited filtering system
- Steep costs for unlimited number of queries